Ronnie: 6 Months off SSRIs after 20+ years

Ronnie

Hey everyone,

Have been frequenting these forums a lot recently as they seem a lot more active than most. Thought I would post my ongoing story here to hopefully provide info to others and get some support as I have found some of the stories I read on here helpful and supportive. First post so im hoping the treatment history I supplied on sign up will also be posted.

So im a 45 year old male living just outside London, UK. After various abortive attempts I finally managed to quit Prozac after a 2 year taper. Ive now reached the 6 month point and its been very up and down. Started off feeling OK with just an expetension of the feelings I had during the taper (mixed sleep patterns and pretty bad fatigue) but the last 2 months have been hard with a lot of anxiety and feeling hopeless. Now these are feelings which I simply didnt have when on treatment because thankfully I did respond pretty well and could live a normal-ish life. However, there comes a time when you need to know if you can cope without the drugs (and their side-effects). Sleep issues seem to come and go and if I could just crack that then I reckon I have a good chance of beating this. Fatigue is much better but im defintly in a hyper-sensitive state currently and having to manage things like alcohol and workload quite carefully.

I think like most on here who have managed to kick the habit im wondering how long these bad feelings are going to last and tbh whether or not this is withdrawal or a return of symptoms of depression or a mix of both. There seem to be a real mix of stories on here with people suffering for many years after their treatment and some coming through it unscathed pretty quick. Ive been trying to see if there is any link between the length of time you have been on treatment and duration of 'withdrawal'. It seems logical that this would be the case but everyone is different right? What could potentially be useful on here is perhaps a poll of recovery time? However, this may be flawed as its probably the case that you will get a much higher proportion of people coming to forums like these if they are suffering protracted withdrawal symptoms rather than those who recover quickly? At the moment I feel like im going to probably be somewhere in the middle of this spectrum of sufferers. I keep thinking that if I have been on SSRIs for around 20 years then it wouldnt be unreasonable to expect a recovery time of 10% of that ie 2 years. I think if i was still suffering substantial Waves after 2 years off the drugs then I would defintly have given it a good shot and I would be happy to take the 'blue-pill' again!

Ive been in more of a wave than a window recently which could be due to some outside stresses but seems to be in a window last few days so taking the opportunity to get things done like writing on here! Tbh its a nice xmas present! Have a complete lack of motivation to do anything when in a wave which is obviously when you think about reinstatement the most. I previously said to myself that I would review after 3 and then 6 months to see if I wanted to reinstate but I realise now that its probably a longer game than that.

Im happy to chat on here and share my experiences and definitely therapeutic writing this stuff down. My other half isnt always so understanding!

Cheers all and dont sweat the small stuff.

Edited by ChessieCat
added spacing

-First diagnosed with depression around 16-17 years old. Smoked a lot of weed and took various other drugs in this period. Recommended treatment was Psychiatry sessions.
-22 years old. Still mildly depressed. Doctor recommended tablets. Tried Tricyclics, bad reaction. Started on Seroxat standard dose, seemed to work well.
-Mid twenties. CBT sessions. Lots of issues with self perception and worries about appearance.
-Early 30s, switched to Prozac standard dose due to short half life of seroxat and bad press for Seroxat/Paxil.
-Mid 30s, switched to Citalpram standard dose due to side effects of Prozac. No difference. Also tried Escitalopram. No difference.
-Late 30s - first attempt to come off AD's. Tapered Citalopram to quick and re-instated.
-Early 40s. Switched back on PRozac as perceived side effects were less, long half life for tapering etc.
-Second attempt to come off, short taper and re-instated.
-43. Started long taper.
-45. Drug free July '21 2021

• ChessieCat changed the title to 6 Months off SSRIs after 20+ years
  • ChessieCat changed the title to Ronnie: 6 Months off SSRIs after 20+ years

Welcome @Ronnie

Thank you for sharing your story. The info you provided when signing up is only visible to staff. So it’s easy for anyone reading your posts to get a quick overview of your situation we ask members to summarize their medication history in a signature following these instructions:

How to List Drug History in Signature

What was your last dose of Prozac? Even after a slow taper withdrawal symptoms can appear:

What is withdrawal syndrome?

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

Restarting an antidepressant after quitting can be harmful. Starting and stopping psychiatric drugs is bad for the central nervous system (CNS). Each time we start and stop it becomes more and more sensitized. The risk of a bad reaction to restarting the drug or starting other drugs or supplements increases.

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

About reinstating and stabilizing to stop withdrawal symptoms

You have perhaps read this already:

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization  

Aside from a high quality fish oil and magnesium, be careful with supplements. Your central nervous system (CNS) has become sensitized from psychiatric drug use and can react unpredictably. Alcohol, caffeine, nicotine and other mind altering substances can make the condition worse.

Important topics about tests, supplements, treatments, diet

Here is our symptoms and self care section, you may find some useful ideas to help manage symptoms as you recover. 

Symptoms and self care topics  

I highly recommend reading  Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker (interview) as well as A straight talking introduction to psychiatric drugs by Joanna Moncrieff to better understand these drugs and their effects. The Council for Evidence based Psychiatry also has a lot of good information.

This is your Introductory topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  If you need any advice specific to you and your situation, please ask it here. Otherwise, feel free to join discussions on other threads. To make sure I or someone sees your question, tag them by writing @ and then start typing their username. A drop down menu will appear. Click on their username and it will turn blue.

Please stay in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Edited by Kiasofia

These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I have learned, not medical advice.

Drug history

2002-2019 Citalopram/Escitalopram, Lamictal
2019 April Escitalopram, quit at 10mg (withdrawal), Oct Escitalopram 10mg reinstated, quit after a few days (adverse reaction)

2019 Oct Lamictal cut from 200mg to 100mg
2019 Dec Lithium 83x2 mg

2020 Aug-Nov Lamictal tapered to 50 mg

2020 Nov 24 Lithium taper started, 30 Jan off Lithium

2021 15. March-31. May Lamictal tapered to 32.5 mg (holding)

2022 10. Jan started taking 25mg+5mg+2mg+0.5 liquid, 22. Jan went back to taking 25mg+5mg+half 5mg

@Kiasofia Thanks for the response.

In answer to one of your questions, my jump off point with Prozac was around 2.85mg. I actually didn't follow the recommended taper using liquid measures etc. I simply took 20mg tablets with increasingly large gaps in between until I was down to one a week. Then just stopped. I was kind of relying on the comparatively long half life of Prozac to do the taper for me. The main reaction I felt tapering like this was crushing fatigue which has thankfully now largely subsided. If I had to do it again I would certainly go down the route of mixing with liquids to get a much smaller dose on a daily basis but I just didn't realise this was an option until late into the taper.

Thanks

Ronnie.

-First diagnosed with depression around 16-17 years old. Smoked a lot of weed and took various other drugs in this period. Recommended treatment was Psychiatry sessions.
-22 years old. Still mildly depressed. Doctor recommended tablets. Tried Tricyclics, bad reaction. Started on Seroxat standard dose, seemed to work well.
-Mid twenties. CBT sessions. Lots of issues with self perception and worries about appearance.
-Early 30s, switched to Prozac standard dose due to short half life of seroxat and bad press for Seroxat/Paxil.
-Mid 30s, switched to Citalpram standard dose due to side effects of Prozac. No difference. Also tried Escitalopram. No difference.
-Late 30s - first attempt to come off AD's. Tapered Citalopram to quick and re-instated.
-Early 40s. Switched back on PRozac as perceived side effects were less, long half life for tapering etc.
-43. Started long taper.

I see. You may know by now why this tapering method is not advised. (I also tapered like this until I found his forum.) But luckily you made it off all the same and good that the crushing fatigue has largely subsided.

NEVER SKIP DOSES TO TAPER

Thank you for creating your signature. Can you simplify it so it only shows year, date, drug and dose? You can add a link to your intro post for the other information.

Example:

2001–2002 paroxetine 
2003  citalopram 
2004  paroxetine
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to 2016 Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg

The search function on this site doesn't work very well. To find things on the forum I find the easiest is to type "survivingantidepressants.org + what you're searching for" into a search engine.

Again, thank you for joining and sharing and do keep us updated on how you are doing.

These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I have learned, not medical advice.

Drug history

2002-2019 Citalopram/Escitalopram, Lamictal
2019 April Escitalopram, quit at 10mg (withdrawal), Oct Escitalopram 10mg reinstated, quit after a few days (adverse reaction)

2019 Oct Lamictal cut from 200mg to 100mg
2019 Dec Lithium 83x2 mg

2020 Aug-Nov Lamictal tapered to 50 mg

2020 Nov 24 Lithium taper started, 30 Jan off Lithium

2021 15. March-31. May Lamictal tapered to 32.5 mg (holding)

2022 10. Jan started taking 25mg+5mg+2mg+0.5 liquid, 22. Jan went back to taking 25mg+5mg+half 5mg

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Thought I would update as its been a while. Im now 8 months clear. Seem to have been stuck in a Wave for what seems like a long time now and havent really felt like updating on here. Tbh I havent even been reading these boards for knowledge and words of encouragement. I had a long awaited minor nose operation (septoplasty) in January which took me longer to recover from than i expected and have felt pretty crap since then. I can think of only maybe a couple of days which might have been Windows, seems like very few and far between. Must admit my thoughts have been turning a lot recently to reinstating but im going to tough it out until July which will be one year. Sleeping OK, if I have some drinks on the weekend im waking early and struggling to go back to sleep and then feeling very flat the next day. I completed Dry January but havent really been feeling the booze ever since so might have a few more weeks off. Worst thing recently has been the brain fog. I probably had Covid for a week about 10 days ago (long story, I cant test properly becuase of the nose op) which may have made that worse but atm im struggling to string a sentence together especially when working. Havent really felt depressed per se but really flat and just going through the motions.

Can anyone else share their experience if similar to mine and you are further along in your journey?

Cheers all. 

Ron

-43. Started long taper.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

Update from me at 11 months in. Seems like a long few months since my last update but I think I might finally be seeing some signs of progress although im wondering if the time of year has had a contributory affect also (Summer in the UK). Still mainly in Wave periods but have had a few Windows in the last few weeks. I seem to be sleeping a lot better and not waking up so often with jarring anxiety (or the anxiety isnt so bad). Have been using an eye mask to avoid the early morning light, certainly helps. Have cut down Caffeine to almost nil now which I think may have helped with the sleeping. Seems like the added sensitivity people in WD often get applies to caffeine also. Withdrawal seems like some kind of PTSD type condition with increased sensivity in lots of different areas.
Energy levels are a lot better and whereas previously I was struggling to sleep the same night this seems to have improved somewhat. What this means is that I can exercise more which helps with the depression so very positive. The sensitivty and problem sleeping after exercise are also currently much reduced (See above increased sensivity).
Drinking alcohol still seems to elicit a pretty negative mood the next day so trying to keep this to a minimum. Overall sensitvity of mood is still quite varied and I find that I remain overly sensitive in reactions to anything I perceive to be negative from other people whereas I could just shrug this off a lot easier when on the meds.
Currently still taking fish oil, magnesium, and Turmeric most days. Not really bothering anymore with CBD as I dont seem to get any effect from it now compared with before.

Im one year 'clean' on July 18th and will update again around this time.

Keep fighting
Ron

-43. Started long taper.

• Mentor

@Ronnie  Sounds like you are on your way to a full recovery. Congratulations for sticking it out.  Try not to get discouraged if you hit a wave or two.  Your brain is doing a great job healing from the changes the drugs did.  

I will be looking forward to your next update😊

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/24894-greatful-is-this-withdrawal-or-to-many-med-changes-at-once/

1995? Prozac,  tried several Paxil, Serzone, St John's Wart back to Prozac and Trazodone ct:d Traz

Lexapro. Tried to stop Crash in 2015  Kindled   Hospitalized, Vybrid, Seroquel, Effexor, Abilify  Pristiq, Wellbutrin-- 2016  ended back on   Prozac and Lamictal 200mg

5/2020  thru 12/2020 taper from 20mg  Prozac  down to 3mg.  Crashed  12/13/2020 Zoloft 50mg 1/29ct  1/29/2021 Seroquel 50mg ct  2/12/2021 Wellbutrin 75mg.  Became hypo manic 2/1  6ct Trazodone 50mg 4/25  25mg 2/5/ 2021 Lamictal 150mg.  2/24  100mg   4/9  75mg   4/21 37.5 

2/16/2021 Seroquel 50xr  3/3 100mg  3/17  150mg  side effects ct   4/3 2021 Lexapro 5mg  4/14  7.5mg  4/30 10mg  5/10  7.5mg 

2021/ 5/16  5mg Lexapro   37.5 Lamictal   25mg trazadone,   xanax  .0625mg  3x a day   

Lexapro  Taper> Sept/01/2021  4.90mg>  Sept/25  4.75mg>   Oct/19 4.69mg > Nov/14 4.2mg    Jan/30/2022-- Split dosing 2x a day All liquid  4.2mg  (2.20mg at 8am & 2mg at 4pm) 2/17 4mg>  2/24  3.8mg  slow taper to  Aug/12/2022 2.04mg  2023> 2mg,  1.90mg, 1.80mg, 1.70mg, 1.5mg, 1.4mg, 1.3mg 1.2mg, 1.1mg, 1mg, 0.9mg, 0.8mg, 0.7mg 0.65mg, 0.6mg, 0.55mg, 0.5mg, 0.45mg, 0.4mg, 0.35mg, 0.3mg, 0.25,mg, back to once a day dosing 0 .1mg, 0.07mg , 0.05mg 4/1/2024   0

Lamictal  taper  4/17/ 2022 25mg, 9/9/ 22 -20mg, 9/25/22- 15mg , 10/20/22-   0

Trazodone..2023.>down to 14mg, 7mg, 6mg  July 2023   0

Xanax  0.0625 3 x a day,  2023>  0.042 3x a day

Supplements  Magnesium glycinate, Omega 3, D3, vitamin c , zinc, NAC 

• 1 month later...

Hi Everybody,

Ive been adding and editing this post for a couple of weeks as I wanted to make sure I get it right for me as something to look back on and also to benefit as many others as possible, especially other long-termers.

1 year off the 'happy pills' has past! It certainly hasn't been easy, in fact its been downright miserable at times, for example weekend just gone, a couple of silly things set me off and had a bad wave. However, still here and can say that I haven't really been considering re-instating - in fact the thought of doing that fills me with more dread than anticipating what the next year will bring off the tablets in case re-instating creates new problems or just doesn't help. The whole journey has been 3 years for me since I started tapering.
Positives:
Feeling 'real' - i think everyone knows what this means.
Clear thinking - still a bit patchy but im pretty sure my thought process and memory are improving.
Fatigue - my original reason for posting on this forum. Still comes and goes but no longer a 'primary issue'.
Weight loss. If I try and lose weight it actually happens! My standard weight since I came off seems to be about 1 stone lighter.
Exercise gains - this just seemed impossible whilst on SSRIs. Now I seem to be able to put on muscle or get some definition.
Libido - back to an extent, comes and go's. tbh its been so long since I considered my libido 'normal' I have no idea what I should expect here.
Negatives:
Still not sure that when in a long wave if this is the depression returning or simply part of the journey to wellness.
Sleeping - still a bit of a lottery. Generally much better in last few months though. Was awful and anxiety ridden for the first few months. I tried various things to improve ability to sleep (various mild painkillers, Valium, CBD) but im very conscious of replacing one drug addiction with another so always trying to keep this to an absolute minimum. I also suffer from Restless Leg Syndrome which doesnt help.
Anxiety - Anxious for no apparent reason a lot of the time. Mainly mild but can ramp up during waves. 100% I worry a lot more about things that I never worried about whilst on Antidepressants. During a window this feeling just seems to lift away and that is such a relief.
Sensitivity - Again improving compared with the start when getting angry/upset very easily was definitely a symptom. I could cope with almost anything previously and shrug things off without worrying to much but now I can dwell on any incident for a lot longer. I was very sensitive to exercise which is one of my go-to coping mechanisms. Struggled to sleep well after exercise in the day for a good 6 months. My heart rate was a good 20% above normal for 12 hours or so after exercise. This has improved and I now don't have to considering drugging myself to get some decent sleep! 100% coming of medication left me hypersensitive to many things.

So overall, I am actually looking forward to seeing what the next year brings. Ive cut right down on Alcohol and Caffeine (no Caffeine after noon, drinking a lot more green tea than standard tea or coffee), I exercise at least twice a week and play golf regularly, and I try and eat as healthily as possible. I feel that all these things contribute to my wellbeing. I know that im far from 100% better whatever that looks like and I have started tracking my waves and windows to try and understand them better.

Cheers
Ronnie

-43. Started long taper.

@Ronnie

Thank you so much for posting your cheerful update!

I'm very happy for you about your many improvements.

Congratulations on all your hard work making it this far!

It's very generous of you to share how you're doing. 

I feel encouraged and uplifted reading of your progress.

Thanks again, and wishing you the best of luck on your continuous healing journey,

A. 

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

August 2021 - 2mg melatonin   August 1, 2022 - 1mg melatonin   March 31, 2023 - 0mg melatonin

2024 supplements update: electrolyte blend in water sipped throughout the day; 1 tsp cod liver oil blend (incl. vit. A+D+E) w/ breakfast; calcium; vitamin C+zinc

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.  - Karle Wilson Baker

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

I am not a medical professional; this is not medical advice. 

• 1 month later...

13 month update.

Last month has been pretty grim tbh, probably toughest yet since coming off. Big reminder that im not out of the woods yet. Strong anxiety which makes my heart either thump hard or race. This in turn seems to lead to broken sleep and waking very early. No probs going to sleep, its staying asleep which seems to be my issue! Sleep aids have come back out so I know im struggling. Has been very hot in UK over the last few weeks, im wondering if its linked? Im lucky enough that im able to keep the bedroom pretty cool so dont think that part is a factor. Still exercising but not as much as the fatigue I feel after the initial 'high' has worn off is pretty bad atm. Have been keeping a diary of waves and windows and havent had a window in nearly 2 months! Lots of Wave days and lots of 'meh' days which are OK. 

Anyway onward and upwards.

Cheers
R

-43. Started long taper.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

15month update: 

Have still been struggling last couple of months, anxiety defo seems to be the main problem and sleep is all over the place. Im waking up and immediatly feel it even in the middle of the night. Most of the time im not even thinking about anything in particular! I have various learnt coping mechanisms to deal with it such as breathing exercises or going through certain repetive things in my mind which take the edge of (sort of like counting sheep i suppose). When I have a good nights sleep I can function almost normally the next day. Seems to be about 50/50 good/bad. Something seemed to trigger increased anxiety in me about 3 months ago and I still dont really know what. Im simply concentrating on trying to live clean and stay as healthy as possible in the hope that I can turn things round. In the last 3 months I have had 2 'window' days and the rest has either been 'meh' or pretty bad. Going to review the whole thing at xmas as feels like this has been going on to long to be withdrawal. Apart from the very worst days ive kind of learned to live with a certain level of feeling crap as I expect most do. However, that doesnt mean we have to accept it.

Im trying to console myself with the fact that I will likely end up feeling consistently 'better' at some point whether its from re-instating (which i really dont want to do) or naturally feeling better through time however long that might be. 

Bye for now
Ron

-43. Started long taper.

I can relate to so much of your update. Keep going, Ron, you’ll get there in the end and you’ve held on for so long already (which is awesome and takes a strong character to do so!). It’s amazing what a good night sleep can do hey? and how much of a difference it make to everything! I’ve been taking a small dose melatonin for a few months now and have to say it is helping. Is this something you’ve tried yet? 

Yes, totally get what you mean about living with a certain level of crap- people who haven’t gone through this don’t know what a luxury it is to live normally. We can only hope for that. 

Keep plodding on and reassess at Christmas if necessary. 

Wishing you better days to come. Take care and do what you can to look after yourself. 

Drug history:

zoloft 2015-May 2021 max dose 200mg (3 month fast taper)

lexapro 5mg August 2021-September 2021 (adverse reaction, CT)

amitriptyline and tempazepam- September 2021 (1 week because of severe insomnia. Did not help. CT)

2018-September 2021 Intermittent use of benzodiazepines (mainly oxazepam, do not know exact dates approx 1-2 per week, although many months without any in between)

Hi @Healingcontinues

Thanks for the support - ive been aware of melatonin for a while but you cant get it easily in the UK where im based. Im really weary of taking anything for sleep as i think its a slippery slope. However, i do take something maybe once a week if im really struggling (low does valium or co-codamol). Could you expand on your Melatonin use? How often do you take it and at what dose? Do you feel its in any way addictive? As with pretty much anything these days im pretty sure I could get hold of some if I tried!

Cheers

R

-43. Started long taper.