Bart: Has anyone experienced neuropathy/neuropathic pain from long-term use of SSRIs?

Bart

I've been on SSRIs (first paxil, then prozac) for 20 years now, and over that time I've had 2 persistent, untreatable nerve injuries, and a bizarre twitch that happens in my thigh. All of these have defied exhaustive attempts at medical diagnosis or treatment; they have just been called neurological issues of unknown origin. After exploring every conceivable option in standard medicine, alternative medicine, multiple surgeries, and every type of treatment I can possibly think of, I've started wondering if the issues could be caused by the long-term usage of SSRIs.

Have anyone else experienced bizarre, untreatable chronic pain issues that were caused by their SSRI usage? Or has anyone here encountered such information online? I'm wondering if this is something I should pursue.

thanks,

Bart

• ChessieCat changed the title to Bart: Has anyone experienced neuropathy/neuropathic pain from long-term use of SSRIs?
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello Bart, and welcome to SA.  We are a volunteer-run community of people who have been or are getting off of psychiatric drugs.

I personally have not experienced this. Here is our thread where members discuss pain issues: 

Muscle and Joint Pain

Perhaps you could search the site and find someone who has.  Here is how to do a site search:  

How to Do a Site Search

Good luck.  

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

14 minutes ago, getofflex said:

Hello Bart, and welcome to SA.  We are a volunteer-run community of people who have been or are getting off of psychiatric drugs.

I personally have not experienced this. Here is our thread where members discuss pain issues: 

Muscle and Joint Pain

Perhaps you could search the site and find someone who has.  Here is how to do a site search:  

How to Do a Site Search

Good luck.  

Hi and thank you! It looks like I can't create a new topic in the Muscle and Joint Pain thread. When I use the "+ Create" dropdown, it has most forum threads greyed out/unselectable. How can I fix this?

• Moderator Emeritus

Not sure what you are trying to do.  Do you just want to add a post to the Muscle and Joint Pain thread?  Or start a whole new thread?  Now that your first 2 posts have been approved, you should be able to add a post to a thread, or start a new thread.  

If you have questions about your specific situation, please ask them in this thread here - thank you.  

Edited by getofflex

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

Ah - now I can post to those threads. I guess it needed you or another admin to approve my first 2 posts, to give me access to threads other than Introduction. Thank you!

Welcome to the forum. You will find a wealth of information here. If you don't find it you can always ask. 

On 3/22/2022 at 9:25 PM, Bart said:

Have anyone else experienced bizarre, untreatable chronic pain issues that were caused by their SSRI usage? Or has anyone here encountered such information online? I'm wondering if this is something I should pursue.

That is a good question and hard to pinpoint. But people definitely have neurological issues (pain and otherwise) from these pills. Not that I can say that is your problem. I am more familiar with people having problems while getting off the pills or after quitting. I know some people while they were on the pills had bad effects. If I find more information I will post.

Current: Bupropion 450mg, Neurontin 800mg, Klonopin 0.5mg

History:

July 2020: started Cogentin 1mg, Lamictal 50mg, Zoloft 150mg, Zyprexa 5mg (+5mg as needed), Klonopin 0.5mg

November 2020: stopped all meds cold-turkey

February 2021: started Latuda 60mg, Lithium 300mg, Melatonin 5mg, Protonix 40mg, Topamax 25mg

2 weeks later: stopped Topamax, increased Lithium 900mg, started Klonopin 1mg, Lexapro 20mg, Neurontin 400mg

April 2021: started Bupropion 150mg, Revia ?mg

May 2021: stopped ReviaProtonixLexaproincreased Neurontin 800mg, started Celexa 10mg

August 2021: decreased Celexa 5mg (stopped Celexa 2 weeks later), increased Bupropion 300mg

September 2021: increased Latuda 80mg

October 2021: decreased Lithium 600mg for 4 daysLithium 300mg for 4 daysstopped LithiumLatuda

increased Bupropion 450mg, started Remeron 15mg, decreased Remeron 7.5mg, stopped Remeron

• 8 months later...

Yes @Bartme, severely.

Extreme and disabling neuropathy after Paroxetine/Paxil

Fluoxetine 10mg 2 months 2019

Paroxetine 10mg 8 months 2020. tapered in 30 days, severe withdrawal symptoms when i tapered (30day-taper)

Paroxetine 10mg re-instatement for 2 months 2020, adverse reaction that crippled me completely.

DEC 2020 - Drug free

DEC 2021 - 1 year later doing terrible and still deteriorating

DEC 2022 - Fought for my life 2 years long only to end up worse than ever. Utterly disabled and torturous inhumane pain - intensity 20 on a scale of 10... 24/7 hell.

Lost my health, my job, my friends, my marriage and i can go on to the greed of pharmaceutical companies.

31 year old male, before this i was an athletic runner that ran 10km in 50minutes, now i can't barely walk or prepare food because my legs and body affected badly. Housebound.

improvements, only psychological symptoms improved. Physically worsening over the months. Especially my ability to walk, Now use wheelchair inside the house, on disability pay, household care. Body burns like hell, neuropathy from head to toe. I guess i won the sufferlottery. Please never re-instate. I don't know what exactly happened but it's definitely no withdrawal.

On 12/7/2022 at 4:33 PM, 1WishToHeal said:

Yes @Bartme, severely.

Extreme and disabling neuropathy after Paroxetine/Paxil

1WishToHeal I'm very curious about your experience, as I was on Paroxetine for years, and had more than 1 chronic pain condition arise during that time which doctors have never been able to diagnose. Alternative treatment paradigms likewise fixed nothing.

Are you still on Paroxetine? I switched to Prozac a few years ago after struggling to get off of Paxil for years, and I am just now starting a very slow approach at tapering prozac. Wondering if there is any chance that my bizarre, intractable pain may get better once off of SSRIs.

hi @Bartyes i am experiencing extreme pain in my feet, fingers and hands upto my elbows..i was on a SSRI for over 20 years Cipramil....as well as still in the process of tapering zyprexa...i Cold Tuckered off the AD but didnt realise what i was experiencing was withdrawal symptoms until i came here...and at the time i put all my symptoms down to withdrawing from zyprexa..i began getting pain in my feet at first, started about 1 year into withdrawals...at first it was just pain in the mornings and than the pain would last all day in my feet..i ended up with a tendonitis in my right foot and the podiatrist said i walk like a 70 year old even thou i was only 50 years old at the time..extremely stiff....she said it was caused by the medication..i am too active and healthy to be walking like a 70 year old...than 6 months ago i began getting pain in my right finger and than it began increasing to my whole hand and up my arm to my elbow...i now have numbness in both my fingers and hands, so all up i now have pain, numbness and burning pain in both my feet, both hands upto my elbows...i have had tests done i do not have an autoimmune disease i am told....not arthritis, i believe it peripheral neuropathy but no tests say i have it...so its all in my head....basically...nothing i can do about it...i take just supplements for it...but they do not work...all i can do is hope that it eventually goes away..but yeah all i can put it down to is the meds i am taking..so your not alone...

Cipramil  40mg  1996 to Oct 2017 stopped cold turkey

Only on Zyprexa from now on :   10mg solid form 1998 to Oct 2017

7.5mg solid form  Oct 2017 to Oct 2019 5mg solid form  Oct 2019 to Apr 2020

3.75mg solid form Apr 2020 to May 2020 2.5mg solid form  May 2020 to Feb 2021 2.5mg solid 3/4 and 1/4 liquid w/ 5mls water 6th Feb 2021 to 2nd Apr 2021 2.5mg 1/2 solid and 1/2 liquid w/10mls water 3rd Apr to 26th Jun 2021

2.5mg dissolved in 25mls of water from 27th Jun 2021 to 22nd Oct 2021 2.5mg 1/2 solid, 1/2 dissolved in 10mls of water from 23rd Oct 21 to 7th Feb 2022 water titrating from 7th Feb 2022 to 13 Aug 2022:  2.2425mg

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/12/2022 at 10:18 PM, Bart said:

1WishToHeal I'm very curious about your experience, as I was on Paroxetine for years, and had more than 1 chronic pain condition arise during that time which doctors have never been able to diagnose. Alternative treatment paradigms likewise fixed nothing.

Are you still on Paroxetine? I switched to Prozac a few years ago after struggling to get off of Paxil for years, and I am just now starting a very slow approach at tapering prozac. Wondering if there is any chance that my bizarre, intractable pain may get better once off of SSRIs.

Hey Bart see my history under my post 

i’m off the drug for 2 years now and didnt touch a drug

i was healthy before and all neurological troubles started after the paxil

Fluoxetine 10mg 2 months 2019

Paroxetine 10mg 8 months 2020. tapered in 30 days, severe withdrawal symptoms when i tapered (30day-taper)

Paroxetine 10mg re-instatement for 2 months 2020, adverse reaction that crippled me completely.

DEC 2020 - Drug free

DEC 2021 - 1 year later doing terrible and still deteriorating

DEC 2022 - Fought for my life 2 years long only to end up worse than ever. Utterly disabled and torturous inhumane pain - intensity 20 on a scale of 10... 24/7 hell.

Lost my health, my job, my friends, my marriage and i can go on to the greed of pharmaceutical companies.

31 year old male, before this i was an athletic runner that ran 10km in 50minutes, now i can't barely walk or prepare food because my legs and body affected badly. Housebound.

improvements, only psychological symptoms improved. Physically worsening over the months. Especially my ability to walk, Now use wheelchair inside the house, on disability pay, household care. Body burns like hell, neuropathy from head to toe. I guess i won the sufferlottery. Please never re-instate. I don't know what exactly happened but it's definitely no withdrawal.