ArickS: Favoxil / Luvox / fluvoxamine withdrawal

ArickS

Hello. 20 years old, diagnosed from childhood with elective mutism
Taking medication rispond, adderall and fluoxetine in the years 2011-2013 and then stopped, after stopping taking medications it was a very hard period and lasted about 3 years.
Then short-term treatment with Ciprofloxacin and Lustral
In June 2021 began treatment with Favoxil 50 MG in August 100 October 150 and in November 300 until the end of March.
At the end of March stopped taking Favoxil all of a sudden and now for several weeks has been locked in the room all the time 
without a mood, nervous, and occasionally tantrums.
What do you think need to do?
Thanks

Fluoxetine 10 mg 02-2011-04-2014
risperdal 1 mg   11-2011-04-2014
concerta      11-2011-01-2012
ritalin       01-2012-04-2014 
Ciprofloxacin 10 mg 2017
lustral 50 mg 2017-2018
Favoxil 06-2021 50 mg in 08-2021 100 mg October 2021 150mg and in 11-21 - 03-22 300 mg.

• ChessieCat changed the title to ArickS: Favoxil / Luvox / fluvoxamine withdrawal

@ArickS

Welcome to SA. We are a volunteer ran site helping members taper off medications, or have tapered off and are healing.

This is your introduction page where you will receive information, ask questions and meet other members. We ask that each member only have one introduction page so we can keep all your information in one place.

First, can you please create a signature. Thank you.

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

At the end of March you just completely stopped taking Luvox which sent your body into withdrawal.

Tips for tapering off fluvoxamine (Luvox)

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

What is withdrawal syndrome?

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

You could try reinstating a small amount, 1 mg and see if that helps relieve some of the symptoms. Then you would hold for a while and taper off slowly as provided in the links above.

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

You could try to take a little magnesium and omega. Members on here find them soothing to the nervous system. Try one in a small amount, wait a few days then introduce the other.

Magnesium

Omega-3 Fish Oil

After you have read the above links please reach out to us with any questions you may have.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

Thank you for your answer. I will first mention that I consult about my son. Since he stopped taking the pill he has not spoken to us, and not listening to us.

He is always in his room.

He has very great resistance and anger. If he agreed to take a low dose, did you mean 1 mg?

Edited by ChessieCat
Resized font

Ciprofloxacin 10 mg 2017
lustral 50 mg 2017-2018
Favoxil 06-2021 50 mg in 08-2021 100 mg October 2021 150mg and in 11-21 - 03-22 300 mg.

@ArickS

We don't normally like to speak to a family member. We like to speak directly to the member. Do you think your son would be willing to come on here and speak for himself? There is no judgement. We really need to know from him what is exactly going on.

If he won't, I guess I think at this point you could try 1 mg and see how it goes. But it would really be best to speak with him about all of this.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

• Moderator Emeritus

It is very difficult for SA to work through a 3rd party.  Please have your son make an account so that the staff can work directly with him.

Working directly with the person taking the drugs can be beneficial for them.  We have found that members who get involved directly with their drug issues can feel more empowered because they feel that they have more control over what is happening to them.  And when they achieve small goals along the way it is very encouraging because they have achieved it by themselves.  And it can give them more strength and determination to get through the more difficult challenges that they face during their journey.

They can also get support from other members who understand what they are going through instead of feeling isolated.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator

Hello, @ArickS

On 4/11/2022 at 8:53 AM, ArickS said:

Hello. 20 years old, diagnosed from childhood with elective mutism
Taking medication rispond, adderall and fluoxetine in the years 2011-2013 and then stopped, after stopping taking medications it was a very hard period and lasted about 3 years.
Then short-term treatment with Ciprofloxacin and Lustral
In June 2021 began treatment with Favoxil 50 MG in August 100 October 150 and in November 300 until the end of March.
At the end of March stopped taking Favoxil all of a sudden and now for several weeks has been locked in the room all the time 
without a mood, nervous, and occasionally tantrums.
What do you think need to do?
Thanks

It appears your family has chosen to treat your son's behavior with psychiatric drugs for many years. It is unclear whether he has consented, or not, or if he is capable of consent.

This is a situation that is probably too complex for peer support. Your son may or may not be suffering from cold turkey withdrawal. We will not be able to suggest any drug adjustment or treatment that will fix your son's behavior, especially if we cannot converse with him directly. 

It appears to me that your family would benefit greatly from family psychotherapy rather than having your son drugged and angry about it.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you for your answers. I wrote to my son about SA and suggested him to read and maybe create an account and consult.

I agree that it is a complicated case.

We tried to treat his elective mutism with drugs 11 years ago and stopped 9 years ago, but last year he wanted to go to Psychiatrist and he suggested him to take favoxil. There was a great improvement, but he suddenly quit the drugs last month by himself.

Over the last 10 years we tried all kind of treatments , psychologist, cbt, nlp,

Parental guidance

Sometimes there was a certain improvement. He is very smart and talented, but has a great reaiatance for any kind of treatment

Edited by ChessieCat
resized font and added spacing

Ciprofloxacin 10 mg 2017
lustral 50 mg 2017-2018

I think this resistance and our heavy feelings of guilt are the barrier to healing

Ciprofloxacin 10 mg 2017
lustral 50 mg 2017-2018

@ArickS

Hello, and welcome to SA. 

I can't imagine what you are going through as parents to someone who is suffering as your son is. It must be a challenging position to be in and tricky to navigate. 

What kind of support do you have as parents? Do you have your own therapist(s)? How is your own adult support system -- friends, family, peers? Are you in touch with any other parents who are going through something similar? 

I do not know what you are going through, but it seems to me that being a parent in your position involves managing a lot of difficult emotions and grappling with complex questions to which there may not be any easy answers, or perhaps even no answers at all. That is a very demanding position to be in requiring a lot of mental, psycho-spiritual effort and stamina over many years. It sounds like it could be quite stressful.

My wish for you is that you find the multidimensional adult support you need personally in order for you to take care of yourselves as well as you can throughout this process. You deserve the same tender loving care and attention that you would offer your beloved son. And the better you care for yourself, the better, ultimately, you will be able to figure out how to best be there for your son. 

With love and respect, 

A.

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

August 2021 - 2mg melatonin   August 1, 2022 - 1mg melatonin   March 31, 2023 - 0mg melatonin

2024 supplements update: electrolyte blend in water sipped throughout the day; 1 tsp cod liver oil blend (incl. vit. A+D+E) w/ breakfast; calcium; vitamin C+zinc

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.  - Karle Wilson Baker

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

I am not a medical professional; this is not medical advice. 

2 hours ago, Ariel said:

@ArickS

Hello, and welcome to SA. 

I can't imagine what you are going through as parents to someone who is suffering as your son is. It must be a challenging position to be in and tricky to navigate. 

What kind of support do you have as parents? Do you have your own therapist(s)? How is your own adult support system -- friends, family, peers? Are you in touch with any other parents who are going through something similar? 

I do not know what you are going through, but it seems to me that being a parent in your position involves managing a lot of difficult emotions and grappling with complex questions to which there may not be any easy answers, or perhaps even no answers at all. That is a very demanding position to be in requiring a lot of mental, psycho-spiritual effort and stamina over many years. It sounds like it could be quite stressful.

My wish for you is that you find the multidimensional adult support you need personally in order for you to take care of yourselves as well as you can throughout this process. You deserve the same tender loving care and attention that you would offer your beloved son. And the better you care for yourself, the better, ultimately, you will be able to figure out how to best be there for your son. 

With love and respect, 

A.

Thank you Ariel for the encouraging words. I think our son understands how much we love and care for him, but there is anger over us because althogh all the attempts of treatment, we failed to move forward and a feeling that we do not really understand him. No one really understands what he and we are going through. And maybe he's angry at himself too.  Because he really was a kid and today a really charming and kind-hearted guy, so it really hurts.
We too are very frustrated by this, and it exacerbates the difficulty.
Indeed, we are going through a very difficult period, mainly because of the memories that float from the first withdrawl period in 2013, which was very, very challenging and we are afraid that we will return to the sights of that period
In addition, about two years ago we decided to let go of our attempts to treat, and then an excellent period began, which improved greatly in the last year when he decided to take favoxil, until he stopped the drug.
So it's a lot harder now, I feel kind of mourning.
It is easier for my wife (although of course it is also very difficult for her). I have other guilt feelings, I also suffered in my childhood from elective mutism, and not treated but with the help of my wife I was able to overcome to some extent,
And I did not want my son to go through the same hardships I went through. But the way we chose to treat, with Fluoxetine and risperdal, was terrible and led to a dizziness that continues to this day.
Today we have circles of support, a social worker, a lovely guy from a Facebook forum, an excellent therapist that treated our little son for many years and helped him a lot. (And it's a shame we did not know each other before), my wife's therapist,
 And friends who encourage. And now this great forum. I really hope my son will connect this forum.

Ciprofloxacin 10 mg 2017
lustral 50 mg 2017-2018

@ArickS

My heart goes out to you and your family in your suffering. I cannot imagine what you are going through, individually and as a family.

I am glad you have circles of support and good people to lean on. You are wise to cultivate these relationships.  

2 hours ago, ArickS said:

I also suffered in my childhood from elective mutism, and not treated but with the help of my wife I was able to overcome to some extent,
And I did not want my son to go through the same hardships I went through.

It must be very difficult as a parent to see one's child go through what one perceives to be the same hardships one has suffered oneself. Of course we want to protect our loved ones from any pain or harm, and we feel responsible for their welfare. I don't know you or your family, and I don't know what you're going through; however, I believe that your son is not going through the same hardships you went through. He is going through his own unique hardships, for he is himself and not you. Moreover, he has the advantage of having you as a parent. What a gift!

Sometimes especially in the presence of significant suffering these boundaries and distinctions can get blurry, and we forget to screen for projection bias and personal blind spots. That is one of the many reasons it's important to have other people to check in with, which fortunately it sounds like you do.

You write that you have to some extent been able to overcome elective mutism in your own life. I don't know anything about elective mutism or what it means to struggle with this condition. Congratulations to you and your wife, whom you credit with having helped you, for working through such a challenge and overcoming. Perhaps you have been (or maybe still are?) on a healing journey yourself... In which case you must have learned many useful skills and gained invaluable life experience about being human and navigating adversity. All that you are and everything you have been through expands your heart and allows you to love your son ever more spaciously, holding space for him on his healing journey. You have so much to give just by being you.

Not least, your son is still so young; it may be reasonable to think that a young, healthy brain will heal well and swiftly. I am not an expert or a neuroscientist, and even if I were, I don't think there are any guarantees. I just feel in heart that there is a lot of love in your family, and that everything is going to be okay -- some faith for you from a stranger, for what it's worth. 

Hang in there, ArickS. This process requires your patience, courage, strength, stamina. I trust you are well equipped to face this challenge with grace and grit, leading by example and modeling behavior for your loved ones. Take care of yourself, treat yourself with compassion and kindness. And in moments of hardship, remember you are not alone. 

Go gently,

A. 

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

August 2021 - 2mg melatonin   August 1, 2022 - 1mg melatonin   March 31, 2023 - 0mg melatonin

2024 supplements update: electrolyte blend in water sipped throughout the day; 1 tsp cod liver oil blend (incl. vit. A+D+E) w/ breakfast; calcium; vitamin C+zinc

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

Hi @ArickS

How's your son doing? How are you?

Do you know the Mad in America website? Partial description:

Mad in America is a webzine devoted to rethinking psychiatry’s current “disease model” for diagnosing and treating psychiatric disorders. This Family Resources section is designed to provide information and resources for parents and other family members who wish to explore alternatives to conventional, drug-based psychiatric care for their relatives, especially children of all ages.

They have a Family Resources page: https://www.madinamerica.com/parents/

There you'll also find an online parents' support group: https://www.madinamerica.com/mia-online-parents-support-group/

I also notice here on SA there are sometimes other parents concerned about their children and medications. Have you been able to browse the site and look for other members who may have comparable concerns? Maybe that is another way to connect compassionately with people who might have some experience with similar situations. 

Thinking of you, holding space for you and your family,

A.

Thank you very much Ariel. My son still does not talk to us and almost all day in his room, although he seems to have calmed down a bit. He usually sleeps during the day and is awake at night. We decided to stop making him food especially for him, and indeed since then he has been taking care of himself. I wish for a moment that he would recover and come back to himself and hope he arrives soon. I'll check the site you submitted. Thanks again for the concern and advice.

Ciprofloxacin 10 mg 2017
lustral 50 mg 2017-2018

I just want to share that it is still very difficult for us. I myself experience difficult experiences of anxiety, because although my son is in his room all the time, when he comes out he slams the door of his room very hard, both day and night. Our therapist said that this is his form of communication with us, to show that he still exists in our lives, but it is very stressful for us every time again. There is currently no communication with him at all, only in WhatsApp messages, which he mostly ignores . Right now he had a very difficult tantrum . Do you know how to give magnesium? I saw that this is recommended. Thanks

Ciprofloxacin 10 mg 2017
lustral 50 mg 2017-2018

Hi ArickS,

I'm sorry you're having a hard time. 

What techniques do you use to cope with your "difficult experiences of anxiety"?

On 4/18/2022 at 2:02 PM, ArickS said:

Today we have circles of support, a social worker, a lovely guy from a Facebook forum, an excellent therapist that treated our little son for many years and helped him a lot. (And it's a shame we did not know each other before), my wife's therapist

Your son has a therapist and your wife has a therapist. Do you have your own therapist? It sounds like you could use some individual professional support that is just for you, especially given your unique history and how this affects your situation today. Perhaps someone in your circle of support could recommend a counsellor for you to work with personally. 

Kind wishes,

A.

Thank you. My wife and I are meeting a very good therapist, she try to help us, also online. But is is very hard. A Psychiatrist offered me to take prozac, but I am not sure I want. I cannot eat for some days, and lost 5 kg . 

Ciprofloxacin 10 mg 2017
lustral 50 mg 2017-2018

• 4 months later...

Hey Aricks. how are u there?

I'm from Israel and looking for some peers, maybe to do a support group...

best

Adama

July 11'- Cipralex 10 mg
August 15'- stop for three months- October 15'- back to Cipralex 15 mg
May 2017 - decrease to 10 mg
August 18'- taper Cipralex - 5 mg, for a few months, then a quarter of a pill for two weeks then stop Cipralex in the end of Aug 18'- end of September 18'- appearance of withdrawal symptoms, back on AD after four months of emotional rollercoaster
January 19'- starting sertraline (Seranda) 100 mg March 19'- back to Cipralex 10 mg (Serenada didn't work for me)
April 19'- increase to 15 mg Cipralex June 19' - increase to 20 Cipralex 10/2019- change to Prisma (Prozac) 40 mg + startinf Wellbutrin 150 Nov. 20'- decrease to Prisma 20 Feb. 20 - off Wellbutrin, staying Prisma 20 mg -Sept. 21'- switch to Brintlix 10' due to sex issues side affects January 22'- unstable emotionally, increase to Brintlix 20 mg
June 22'- still unstable, Brintlix 20'+ adding a quarter Miro (Mirtazpin) at night (7.5 mg);  July 22'- Brintlix apprently didn't work for me, switching to Viepax XR 150 (Venefelxin) + Miro 7.5 ; August 22'- due to side affects switching to Duloxetine sandoz 30 mg + Miro 7.5

15.08.22- tapering Miro (mirtazapine) 3.5, continue Duloxetine 30 mg

23.08.22- off Miro, on Duloxetine 30 mg 31.08.22- having withdrawl symptoms- back on 3.5 Miro for slow reducing

22.12.22- off miro, on Duloxetine 30 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

@ArickS   If you wish to give your contact details to Adama, please do it via PM.  Do not post your phone number or email address in a public post.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management