Kaitlyn7670: Tapering Celexa and BuSpar

Kaitlyn7670

I have been taking Celexa 20 mg daily for almost 7 years. My doctor added BuSpar 10 mg twice daily about 3 years ago. I am now ready to get off of psychiatric medications. I feel lazy/tired all the time and don't often get excited about things like I used to; I feel numb emotionally and am want to feel even a little more alive. My husband and I want to start trying for a baby in the next 8-10 months. Ideally I would be off psychiatric medication for a few months before pregnancy. I am interested in learning how to successfully taper off both medications. 

Aug 2015 Celexa 20mg

May 2019 BuSpar 10mg

• Frogie changed the title to Kaitlyn7670: Tapering Celexa and BuSpar

@Kaitlyn7670

Welcome to SA. We are a volunteer ran site helping members taper off antidepressants and other medications, or have tapered off and are healing.

This is your introduction page where you will receive information, ask questions and meet other members. We ask that each member only have one introduction page so we can keep all your information on one place.

Can you please create a signature.

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

I'm going to give you some links on how to taper off the medications you are on. We don't suggest more than a 10% a month taper and a lot of members go much slower than that to avoid as many withdrawal symptoms as possible.

Preparing to taper

Tips for tapering off citalopram (Celexa)

Tips for tapering off buspirone (Buspar)

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

Once you have read the links provided, please reach out to us with any questions you may have.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

• 1 year later...

Hi Kaitlyn! I just ran across your post. I am on a similar cocktail and am trying to taper to get pregnant as well. I have been on these medications starting at age 15, so I don't even really know how I function without them. I started trying to taper the first time before the pandemic hit. I was curious how it went or is going for you.

Celexa Started 2003 20->40->80mg; reduced to 40mg unsure when; initial taper 2019 1 Sep 35mg, 13 Oct 30mg, 24 Nov 30mg, 2020 12 Jan 25mg, 23 Feb 20mg; resumed taper 2023 19 Feb 15mg, 1 Apr 10mg

Buspirone ~2005 (max dose 30mg)

2022 22 Dec 20mg, 2023 18 Jan 15mg

Started SSRI ~2000 Paxil->Celexa->Lexapro->Celexa