Anteater: bad mirtazapine taper

Anteater

Hi everyone

As you can see from the sig I've messed up my taper. It could have been worse - doc told me to stop dead on 15mg back in August as I'd only been on it 8 months. It was me who attempted to wean off and I think I've messed it up, especially after reading around this forum for the past week. By the time I got to 3.75mg it was considered a "placebo" so I stopped.

Anyway, I used to take citalopram many years ago after getting post natal depression, took it for quite a few years then just stopped dead (probably 10 years ago so not relevant to now).  Absolutely no withdrawal problems.

Not so this time! I was on mirt for sleep problems caused, probably, by my HRT not working anymore. My oestrogen level was non existent and the symptoms were appalling. I was on my knees with palpitations, anxiety and 2 hrs sleep a night for all of 2021 and had other health issues on top, and a bereavement.

The mirt worked great and got me to a good place with sleep, hrt experimentation began to reap rewards and my level went up. Unfortunately I put on a lot of weight which caused other issues, like massive amounts of heartburn, and psychologically that made me miserable. Around July my hands became very shaky. We decided that it had done the job and it was time to come off.

Like I say, it was my decision not to go completely cold turkey but this was not a supervised taper (as you can tell) and I wish I'd known about this forum earlier. I'm not doing as badly as some of you, but it aint great. My anxiety has crept up, the palpitations are back, sleep is not as good as it was but the worst thing, and which is causing me the most worry, are the shakes. In the evening I get full on internal body shakes which I know can be a withdrawal symptom so I'm putting up with it. It gets worse when I stress about it so I just take a deep breath and watch tv as a distraction (which does help).  No, it's the shaky hands - I'm convinced I've got something bad wrong with me and I guess I'm looking for reassurance that this is a normal thing. Sometimes when I'm sewing, for instance, I can't thread the needle, or when putting on eyeliner my hand is all over the place. It seems to be with  very precise actions that I have the problem. It eased off once my oestrogen levels went up back in September, really improved. It's come back in the past 7-10 days - I stopped mirt about 15 days ago - so I'm really, really hoping this is withdrawal and not something else. Sometimes I "feel" as if my hand is shaking but when I hold them out they're rock steady (so is this just part of the anxiety and me obssessing over it making it worse?). I think I could ride this out if I was sure I didn't have something else wrong, but it seems that this happens less on Mirt than on other ADs as far as google tells me, so I'm pretty scared.

Also, I'm sneezing like the clappers (which I guess is histamine related). I can control it with beconase but if I forget it's always the early hours of the morning when it starts up, usually just after I've finally managed to get to sleep.  An hour of sneezing is exactly what I need at 3am. 

Otherwise have taken up yoga, try to get a good walk every day, eat well, have cut out alcohol, drink lots of water. I'm doing all I can in terms of diet and exercise, but I keep checking my hands every five seconds and it's really going to do my head in.

Jan 2022 - 15mg mirtazapine

Mid August 2022 - 15mg every other day

September 2022 - 7.5mg

Mid September 2022 - 7.5mg alternate days

End September 2022 - 3.75 alternate days

Mid October 2022 - 0mg

Supplements

Vitamin D3 1000 - every morning

Magnesium glycinate 250mg every evening

• ChessieCat changed the title to Anteater: bad mirtazapine taper
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello, and welcome to SA.  We are a volunteer-run community of people who have been or are getting off of psychiatric drugs.  Yes, shaking and trembling are a common symptom of withdrawal from psychiatric drugs.  I strongly suspect that is what is causing yours, since it started 7 days after you completely stopped taking mirtazapine.  First of all, we don't suggest tapering off drugs by skipping doses, as this causes uneven levels of the drug in your system, confusing and destabilizing the brain.  We also suggest an extremely slow taper, and you tapered faster than this, which will also cause nervous system destabilization.  This is not your fault.  Very few people really understand these drugs, how they work on our brains, and how to taper off of them safely.  

Here is some important information about how these drugs actually work.  This explains why we get symptoms from going off of these medications, and why it's so important to taper slowly and carefully, and be very cautious about changing our doses: 

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

This helps you understand what withdrawal syndrome is: 

Video on Recovery from Psych Drugs

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Here is a link with checklists of common WD symptoms: 

Dr Joseph Glenmullen Withdrawal Symptom Checklists

Here are some techniques to cope with symptoms: 

Non Drug Ways to Cope with Withdrawal Symptoms

Stability is really important when we are tapering off psych meds.  Please read the link about stability:

Keep It Simple, Slow, and Stable

We don't suggest many supplements, but 2 that many of us find helpful are magnesium and omega-3 fish oil. Here are the links for info about those. It is suggested to add one at a time, and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 

Magnesium

Omega 3 Fish Oil

This link is a thread where other members talk about this symptom: 

Tremors, Shaking, Body Vibration, etc.

My suggestion to you is to be aware than in time, this symptom will go away.  Please give it lots and lots of time, because it can take a very long time for our systems to heal and stabilize.  Practice lots of natural self care, as you are doing. Try the magnesium, and then if that is OK, try the Omega 3.  Your walks and being alcohol free should help.  Good luck, and keep in touch. 

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

Thank you so much - this site has been a godsend and I wish I'd found it earlier as I'd not have got myself into this pickle (something I've seen others say on here so I know I'm not alone).

At the moment I'm definitely experiencing waves and windows and, fortunately, the windows are longer in length at the moment. Unfortunately the waves, whilst not lasting for days and days (so far), are quite intense.

The shaking actually stopped for a time yesterday and I think, after reading this forum avidly over the past few weeks, I've learned to calm myself down so the palpitations have calmed down also.

Sleep is not great though, the inability to regulate body temperature is, to put it mildly, utter pants.  It's cold here at the moment, and pretty rainy. To go for a walk at this time of year, anyone in England knows to bring a raincoat even if the sun is shining. I can't. Even if it pours down, I can't put a coat on or I'll be like a mini furnace in no time.  Trust me, I hate the cold. Short sleeved t-shirt in summer? Not me. I told my son I was walking about in the cold in a light shirt last week and he couldn't believe it.  It's just not me.

Other annoying things - the sneezing. I got off to sleep quite quickly last night, for the first time in ages. I'd done some yoga during the day which may have helped. I was up from 4am until 5.30 just sneezing copiously. I may even have slept though if not for that and boy, did I need the hours.

The anxiety sometimes gives me full body shakes in the evening which isn't fun, but getting up and walking around seems to help, or saying "it's fine, it's fine, it's fine, you know what this is" also helps, which sounds mad but it seems to kid my brain into believing me.

The spikes in the early hours, with the sweating and heart rate - oh man. But, as I say, this site has helped so much. I now say "this will pass, this is all going to pass" over and over, and it also helps.

I sent a request to my doc today for melatonin. She might say no, they're not keen on prescribing sleep aids over here, but we'll see.

One other very weird symptom which I've not seen mentioned - bad breath. Or maybe it isn't bad breath because no one has mentioned it (because I keep my distance!) but my mouth feels like I haven't cleaned my teeth all day, which is not the case, and my tongue is more coated than usual. 

I'm waiting for my fish oil capsules to arrive and as soon as I'm on them I'll add it to the sig

September 2022 - 7.5mg

Mid October 2022 - 0mg

Supplements

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm really glad to hear that your shaking stopped for time yesterday.  Speaking of calming yourself down, here are some simple techniques to help with that: 

Emotional Spirals

Acknowledge Accept Float

Music to Calm Anxiety

Breathing Technique for Anxiety

Audio:  How to Recover from Anxiety - Dr Claire Weekes

Anxiety Stuff - all kinds of stuff about anxiety attacks and things that help ...

15 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

Audio:  First Aid for Panic (4 minutes) Female voice - getselfhelp.co.uk

Audio:  First Aid for Panic (4 minutes) Male voice - getselfhelp.co.uk

Meditation

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

Thank you. I looked at some of those before I went to bed but...I didn't need them last night because I slept!  Woo hoo!  A nasty wake up at 5.30 with overheating and fast heart rate but I was back asleep within 20 minutes - which is such a relief. Relief for my partner too as my hour of non stop sneezing the night before had kept him awake, so he's feeling a lot better today as well. I went into the spare room for the night, it seemed the best for both of us, don't want him having to suffer as well.

Also trying out an eyemask which is taking a bit of getting used to but I think it's helping. 

Shakes are back though - WD gives with one hand and takes with another, it seems.

My fish oil capsules have just arrived. They're algae based (DHA Algal oil suspended in vitamin e) so fingers crossed.

Doc should get back to me today or tomorrow re the melatonin but I'm not hopeful.

I think I'm within the window for reinstatement at the moment but I need to think hard about it. These symptoms are just about manageable but when they hit all at once I get scared and fall into despondancy. Some waves, even thought they're short, have been horrible. Sweating, overheating, shaking, internal tremors, waves of dread and anxiety, itching, sneezing, insomnia, palpitations - when they hit at once it's grim. But they don't last long - we're talking an hour tops. I fight very hard to control them. It's difficult as I'm anxious anyway and always have been so I can hear the panic in my own voice when I'm talking myself "down", but I usually do it. It helps that my partner is so practical and reassuring.

Sleep is the thing isn't it? If you get some sleep your coping mechanisms are much more robust. Mine are today (which is just as well considering the fact that I've splattered milk everywhere as my hand was all over the place when I was making tea, but I was swearing rather than crying when that happened. Swearing is very "me".  Crying is not).

Some other things which, I don't know if they're helpful or not but I'll put them here.  Mirtazapine gave me oedema in one foot, and also petichiae around that ankle. I found that quite scary since there's a history of heart disease and poor circulation in my family. Despite all the crappy symptoms since I came off, my feet are fine now. I can see my ankles and fit into my shoes, so there's that.

September 2022 - 7.5mg

Mid October 2022 - 0mg

Supplements

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Anteater said:

Shakes are back though - WD gives with one hand and takes with another, it seems.

Isn't that the truth.  I've experienced this myself in so many ways. 

I think I'm within the window for reinstatement at the moment but I need to think hard about it. These symptoms are just about manageable but when they hit all at once I get scared and fall into despondancy. Some waves, even thought they're short, have been horrible. Sweating, overheating, shaking, internal tremors, waves of dread and anxiety, itching, sneezing, insomnia, palpitations - when they hit at once it's grim. But they don't last long - we're talking an hour tops. I fight very hard to control them. It's difficult as I'm anxious anyway and always have been so I can hear the panic in my own voice when I'm talking myself "down", but I usually do it. It helps that my partner is so practical and reassuring.

Here is the link about reinstatement, to help you decide.  We generally suggest this for people who have severe symptoms, and can't eat, can't sleep, have hard time functioning for long periods of time. If your severe symptoms only last an hour, you may want to work on non drug ways of coping with and reducing anxiety instead of reinstating.  

About Reinstating and Stabilizing to Reduce Withdrawal Symptoms

I fight very hard to control them

Actually fighting them is likely to make them worse.  Instead of fighting them, you may want to consider allowing them and accepting them.  This would reduce the anxiety, panic, and stress.  Please read the quote and links below:

On 9/18/2021 at 1:42 PM, brassmonkey said:

Trusting that your body knows what needs to be done to heal and will do it naturally is one of the hardest parts of doing this. The amount of trust that we have to have is amazing and the ability to accept what happens and move through it, even if it isn't what we had planned, is equally so. We have all been taught to think things  through and do what we think is best, but sometimes our logic gets the best of us. We can think too much and see too many sides of the coin.

To me ADWD is proof that nature is in control despite what we think. In most cases we have to get out of the way and let it happen. We may want a specific outcome by next weekend, but the choice isn't ours. If our body wants to heal in that direction by them it may happen, but usually it needs to do something else, which it knows is more important for the healing process. It doesn't really care what our weekend plans are, but rather knows what it needs to do to heal.

Giving up that control is very hard because we think about the problem too much.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/pieces-mind/201207/radical-acceptance

Acknowledge Accept Float

Edited by getofflex

• Mentor

Hello @Anteater. You may find avoiding high histamine foods helps somewhat whilst in acute withdrawal from mirtazapine. After cessation of the drug your body produces an over abundance of histamine in rebound to histamine cells being blocked for so long. Some common high histamine foods are: alcohol, fermented foods and beverages, processed and smoked meats, and aged cheeses. You can find more comprehensive lists by searching “high histamine foods” online.

Theres more information about it here: 

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

50mg - Oct 2020, 100mg - Dec 2020, 50mg - April 2021, 75mg - May 2021, 50mg - Sep 2021; Failed taper attempt (50 -> 49) - Jan 2024; Second attempt to start taper - 17 Feb 2024

Current dose: 48.9mg (Feb 2024)

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg  - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

Cod liver oil

2 hours ago, getofflex said:

We generally suggest this for people who have severe symptoms, and can't eat, can't sleep, have hard time functioning for long periods of time

Ah, ok, that's not me. I guess I'm worrying that it might get worse as I know some people get hit weeks/months down the line (I over worry about everything tho) by which time I might be past the point of no return.

2 hours ago, getofflex said:

Instead of fighting them, you may want to consider allowing them and accepting them

That's interesting considering the quote from BrassMonkey you included there, about losing control. I hate losing control, it scares me a bit.  Ok, this is going to be quite difficult, but I'm going to read your Acceptance link carefully. I hadn't considered any of this 😞. Maybe I need to turn it into a general life skill but this is counterintuitive to my personality so will require a lot of work.

Thank you, Erimus, I've just looked that up. I'm going to cry about reducing/eliminating soy in my food as I absolutely love it. Then again, I cried over alcohol but I've managed that ok so...

Having a lot of health anxiety today as I've been on twitter and there's so much stuff about covid and long term symptoms coming to light so OF COURSE I now have every single symptom. Palpitations have started up again and began to feel nauseous on my walk which I had to cut short as a result. Didn't overheat today, though, was able to keep my coat on.

Thanks for all the help, it really does make a difference and honestly works in calming me down a lot.

September 2022 - 7.5mg

Mid October 2022 - 0mg

Supplements

• Moderator Emeritus

You might want to think about staying off of social media and reading negative stuff on there. If you already have health anxiety it will tend to worsen your anxiety.  It may help to spend more time out in nature or taking walks, being out in the woods, doing simple activities like gardening, sewing, painting or drawing, building some thing etc. etc. this is the sort of thing that really helped me in withdrawal and still does.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I'd pop in an do an update. I know I'm not suffering as much as most for now, but I also read interesting advice and experiences on here so maybe some of mine can help too.

It's been about a month since I last took a tab. It's not been great, but not as bad as it might be.  The worst symptoms are insomnia, shaky hands and (what I think is) histamine intolerance.

The insomnia isn't consistent - last night I slept ok after a rubbish few nights - but I keep getting the usual 4-5am wake up and then spend an hour or so lying awake with the heart going boom boom.

I noticed that the heat regulation thing had calmed down a bit - I wasn't sweating for no reason as much as I had been, and doing a 1-2 mile walk at a gentle pace, and keeping up with weekly yoga class, was having no ill effect. I think I got complacent and had two glasses of wine on Friday.  On Saturday I went for a longer walk and my god, halfway through I was boiling and sweating. Not as bad as it had been, but bad enough. I was ok once I got home. That night I had a massive attack of sneezing at 2am which I'd not had for a couple of weeks.

The next day, I repeated the error - two glasses and a meal consisting of soy (aargh!). about 20 minutes after eating this, whilst I was lying on the sofa, my face felt as if it was on fire. I dashed to the bathroom to look in the mirror and I was like a bright red beacon. I swear I could guide ships home in the dark it was so bright. It calmed down after about an hour and I began to twig what I'd done. Alcohol on two days, and having the soy on one of those probably didn't help.

BUT, I also remembered that during the first outbreak of sneezes and overheating I'd been on holiday and yes, I'd had alcohol (this was before I found this site so didn't know).

I'm going to take this as a positive. I'm pretty sure what the trigger is. It might be a coincidence but whilst I was off alcohol over the past fortnight, the overheating was not as bad. I had assumed that the stuff would be out of my system by Saturday afternoon but apparantly not. Maybe I can never drink alcohol again but it's not the end of the world as my consumption has been reducing as I've got older anyway.

I took a lemon balm tea and and couple of squirts of steroid nasal spray, managed to fall asleep by 1.15am and didn't wake up until 7.45 which considering how little sleep I'd had all week, was great. I even fell asleep again for an hour, making me late for work but whatever, needs must.

Much as I'd love to be a benefit to the maritime profession and use my face as a lighthouse, I think I'll give it a pass. The moral of this story is - don't get cocky. Stay off the juice, it aint worth it.

September 2022 - 7.5mg

Mid October 2022 - 0mg

Supplements

• Moderator Emeritus

I keep getting the usual 4-5am wake up and then spend an hour or so lying awake with the heart going boom boom.

This sounds like the early morning cortisol spike, which happens in everyone, but is amplified during WD.  This should eventually go away. 

Early Morning Awakening - Managing the Cortisol Spike

I think I got complacent and had two glasses of wine on Friday. 

Even small amounts of alcohol can aggravate a person whose system is recovering from psych drugs.  We advise staying away from alcohol and other mind altering substances completely.  

Much as I'd love to be a benefit to the maritime profession and use my face as a lighthouse, I think I'll give it a pass. The moral of this story is - don't get cocky. Stay off the juice, it aint worth it.

LOL. 😁  It's good you have a sense of humor about it.  

Edited by getofflex

• 6 months later...
  • Administrator

Hello, @Anteater, how are you doing?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.