Cullenj125: Remeron (Mirtazapine)

Cullenj125

All,

Started on mirtazapine in 2013. Started with 7.5mg dosage and then went up to 45mg over the course of a couple of months. Eventually titrated dosage back down to 7.5mg where I stayed in that dosage amount into 2019. I don’t think my metabolism has ever bounced back to normal. I think I have seen some improvements but I swear I put on weight more easily now then when I did prior to taking the medication. I use to be so skinny prior to mirtazapine. I also use to do bodybuilding  and I would have to literally force feed myself to put on weight. If I over eat, I easily put on the pounds. It genuinely sucks. I got to assume this is the néw me now. And losing the weight isn’t easy. Basically got to go keto as well as reduce calories in half. Feels like I am starving myself for weeks on end. Any former mirtazapine users in the same situation? Does this medication cause insulin resistance or effect glucose in any way? I hope this med isn’t as bad as an antipsychotic in terms of metabolic changes . Any thoughts?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi there @Cullenj125

Welcome to SA. Would you be so kind as to do a signature as to the dates you started and stopped your meds. Thank you. On the top of the introduction page under the thread Please Start A Topic About Yourself there’s a link in the first paragraph on how to do your signature.

Yes, mirtazapine does increase insulin resistance. Are you off all medications now?

I put on weight when I was on high doses of meds, I don’t remember what they all were, but the last medication I was on ( and am on still ) is Seroquel. It also mucks around with your insulin. I’m on a low dose now and all the weight fell off when I started eating an anti inflammatory diet, as well as doing a bit of intermittent fasting here and there. At the moment I’m trying to keep weight on. My sugar levels are great, I’m not even hungry until lunch time. 

Do you eat enough? Sometimes if you don’t eat enough you can actually have trouble losing weight. You need lots of healthy fats, tons of vegetables and some seafood and grass fed meat. I’m not on keto but I’m keeping my weight down now. I actually make sure I eat sweet potatoes or sweet potato noodles every day so I don’t lose too much weight. I don’t eat grains or nightshades, such as potatoes, so sweet potatoes are my carb😁

Everyone is different though and what works for one person may not necessarily work for someone else. I hope you find what works for you. There may be others on here that can relate to you too. 

Sending hugs🤗

Been on APs, benzos, ADs and opiates, for chronic pain. Had Akathisia in the past that made me suicidal. Still on Seroquel. 2019:➡️ March10=7.25mg ✔️ April17=7.0✔️ June5=6.75✔️ July14=6.50✔️ Aug28=6.25✔️ Oct10=6.20  ✔️ Oct21=6.0✔️ Dec16=5.80 ✔️ 2020➡️ Jan 21=5.60 ✔️ April2=5.40 ✔️ May29=5.20 ✔️ Aug14= 5.0 ✔️Sep29=4.80✔️2021➡️ Jan31=4.60 mg✔️ April24=4.40mg✔️Jul17=4.30mg ✔️ Aug 28=4.20 ✔️ Oct 11=4.15✔️Nov1=4.10 ✔️ Nov21= 4.05✔️ Dec13= 4mg ✔️2022 ➡️ Jan8=3.95✔️ Jan31=3.90✔️ March2=3.85 ✔️ April4=3.80 ✔️ June16=3.75✔️ July26=3.70✔️ Sep2=3.65✔️ Oct21=3.60 ✔️ Dec8=3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️ March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

• Frogie changed the title to Cullenj125: Remeron (Mirtazapine)