Rw80: Extreme loss of life/existence HELP

Rw80

Hi,

adverse reaction to Mirtazapine June 2020. Cold turkeyed Jan 2021. Then Sertraline, Citalopram, diazepam, Prozac, chlopromazine, nortryptyline, anmytriptyline for annything from a few days to a few weeks. Made me worse annd worse.  Entire existence wiped. All memory gone. Long and short term. All skills gone. Cognition gone. Can’t remember my job, family, self. Extreme leg pain. DPDR. Nausea. Vomiting. Diarreah. EXTREME MEMORY LOSS. Burning brain. No memory of my whole life no connection to my belongings. Clothes, house, town I live in. All completely gone. I don’t even remember which shop you buy which item in anymore. Can’t look after basic needs. Constant SI. Just wander around a house I no longer recognise like a retarded zombie. 

Anyone recovered from this extreme a reaction? Need hope. Scared. 

im 5 months off everything 

sorry this is all I can type I have no brain 

Edited by manymoretodays
name to topic title

Jan 2020-Jan 2021 Mirt 45mg CT by gp

venlafaxine Feb 21-March 21

sertraline around December 21-Jan 22

Citalopram can’t remember date

nortryptyline can’t remember dates 

amytryptyline can’t remember dates 

chlopromazine aug 22-sept 22

prozac aug 22-oct 22 diazepam - PRN 3 years then antibiotics for a severe infection in 2020-2021:

Doxycycline 3months minocycline azithromicyin then IV Ceftriaxone

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome @Rw80, I’m really sorry to hear that your symptoms are so severe. 

Would you first of all put in your drug signature please. Just go to the top of the Introductions and Updates page and you’ll see a thread entitled: “Please start a topic about yourself in this forum.” In the first paragraph there’s a link that will show you how to do your signature. 

Did you come off all the medications at the same time? 

Are you on any medication at the moment?

It looks like you’ve been on a real cocktail of meds. The same thing happened to me, and it all started because of chronic pain. All the symptoms you’re experiencing are very common on this site. 

If you are worried about your safety though, please get some in person help where you are. 

Sending hugs🤗

Been on APs, benzos, ADs and opiates, for chronic pain. Had Akathisia in the past that made me suicidal. Still on Seroquel. 2019:➡️ March10=7.25mg ✔️ April17=7.0✔️ June5=6.75✔️ July14=6.50✔️ Aug28=6.25✔️ Oct10=6.20  ✔️ Oct21=6.0✔️ Dec16=5.80 ✔️ 2020➡️ Jan 21=5.60 ✔️ April2=5.40 ✔️ May29=5.20 ✔️ Aug14= 5.0 ✔️Sep29=4.80✔️2021➡️ Jan31=4.60 mg✔️ April24=4.40mg✔️Jul17=4.30mg ✔️ Aug 28=4.20 ✔️ Oct 11=4.15✔️Nov1=4.10 ✔️ Nov21= 4.05✔️ Dec13= 4mg ✔️2022 ➡️ Jan8=3.95✔️ Jan31=3.90✔️ March2=3.85 ✔️ April4=3.80 ✔️ June16=3.75✔️ July26=3.70✔️ Sep2=3.65✔️ Oct21=3.60 ✔️ Dec8=3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️ March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

2 hours ago, Carmie said:

Welcome @Rw80, I’m really sorry to hear that your symptoms are so severe. 

Would you first of all put in your drug signature please. Just go to the top of the Introductions and Updates page and you’ll see a thread entitled: “Please start a topic about yourself in this forum.” In the first paragraph there’s a link that will show you how to do your signature. 

Did you come off all the medications at the same time? 

Are you on any medication at the moment?

It looks like you’ve been on a real cocktail of meds. The same thing happened to me, and it all started because of chronic pain. All the symptoms you’re experiencing are very common on this site. 

If you are worried about your safety though, please get some in person help where you are. 

Sending hugs🤗

hi 

sorry I don’t even remember my cocktail of meds to be able to write it down. 

I also have severe neuropathy and itching all over. 

can I get better or is this it? 

prozac aug 22-oct 22 diazepam - PRN 3 years then antibiotics for a severe infection in 2020-2021:

• manymoretodays changed the title to Rw80: Extreme loss of life/existence HELP

Hi 

I was poly drugged. Adverse reaction to Mirtazapine June 2020. Lost my memory. Skills. Knowledge. Cognitive function. Short and long term memory gone. Forgot my family, friends, house, town. Feel no emotion just empty. Blank, burning brain with no thoughts. Severe akathisia and terror for 3 years with no days off. Severe DPDR and amnesia. No knowledge of myself, my life history, medical history, don’t remember what I did for a job or where I did it or how. Can’t use a TV. Can’t follow a conversation. Can’t understand money or finances. Can no longer remember how to make basic meals. I can shower and dress myself if someone lays my clothes out for me. Can’t remember what I like to eat, drink, do for enjoyment. Insomnia. Nightmares. Itchy skin that I scratch until it bleeds. Severe suicidal ideation for 3 years. Multiple suicide attempts. Lost my house, car, career, independence, all of my money. Can’t understand money or time. Can’t feel seasons passing or understand the weather. Don’t recognise or remember any family members or friends. Can’t go anywhere alone because I would get lost. 

Am I the most extreme case you’ve ever read? Can I recover? I don’t even remember what real life is. I have absolutely zero recollection of ever knowing where I am or who I am. Ever. 

anyone this bad recovers?? Or should I just apply to dignitas now and get it over with.

• Administrator

People have recovered from all kinds of reactions. What we have seen is that it's very slow and gradual.

If you want a more detailed discussion of your own situation, Please summarize your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

16 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

People have recovered from all kinds of reactions. What we have seen is that it's very slow and gradual.

If you want a more detailed discussion of your own situation, Please summarize your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

But even after 3 years of decline with zero improvement? 

• Administrator

How much diazepam were you taking and how often January 2020-mid 2022? What effect did it have? How did you go off?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I don’t know because I’ve lost my memory. Not much and not everyday. It was sort of 2mg here, 5mg there, maybe 2mg 3 times a day for a few weeks. Never constant. I lost my memory and all cognition so wasn’t aware what people were giving me. They all gaslit me. 

• Administrator

From what we've seen, it's fairly common for people who have been on psychiatric drugs, or been on and off them and had adverse effects such as withdrawal, to have an emotional anesthesia post-drug.

On 6/13/2023 at 8:37 AM, Rw80 said:

im 5 months off everything 

What drug were you taking 5 months ago?

Since you were on diazepam up to mid-2022 and something else 5 months ago, you may still be feeling those post-drug effects. As with other withdrawal symptoms, they very slowly go away over many months.

What changes have there been in your symptom pattern in the last 4 months?

24 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

From what we've seen, it's fairly common for people who have been on psychiatric drugs, or been on and off them and had adverse effects such as withdrawal, to have an emotional anesthesia post-drug.

What drug were you taking 5 months ago?

Since you were on diazepam up to mid-2022 and something else 5 months ago, you may still be feeling those post-drug effects. As with other withdrawal symptoms, they very slowly go away over many months.

What changes have there been in your symptom pattern in the last 4 months?

I am 5 months off my final prescription drug Prozac. 

absolutely no change in symptoms whatsoever 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi @Rw80, please know that our brains have a remarkable capacity to heal. It can be a scary journey, but it’s important to find ways to help yourself while your brain is healing. Maybe try and go outdoors every day, sit in the sun, listen to calming music or nature sounds, watch some shows you like etc. I know that it won’t get rid of the symptoms, but you need to try and distract yourself. A lot of people on here have SI, but they’re trying hard to incorporate things into their life that can help them to cope. It’s a matter of sometimes just taking an hour at a time, or a minute at a time. I’ve been there too. 

I was put on and off a myriad of meds and have had such severe symptoms, I stabilised eventually and now I’m doing a slow taper. I can’t escape withdrawals with every cut, but I try hard to try and do things that will help me to cope. I have lots of distractions.

I’ve had cognition and memory problems for three decades due to an illness I have, chronic fatigue syndrome. I’ve learnt to work around it. Maybe one day I’ll get over my illness. But when it comes to withdrawals though, your brain will eventually calm down, it takes time though. Have a look at the success stories on this site. Also, a lot of the time when people on this site have healed they don’t come back as they want to leave the memory of withdrawals behind them. 

As Altostrata said, it can take time for the withdrawals to subside, we can’t change that, so it’s important to find things that we can do to try and help to soothe ourselves. Everyone on this site is in the same boat. 

You’ve only gone off some of your meds this year and last year. You need to give it time. It’s not a good idea to predict how long you think withdrawals will take, none of us know. I know that your life feels like it’s on hold now, but please give it time. 

Sending hugs🤗

Been on APs, benzos, ADs and opiates, for chronic pain. Had Akathisia in the past that made me suicidal. Still on Seroquel. 2019:➡️ March10=7.25mg ✔️ April17=7.0✔️ June5=6.75✔️ July14=6.50✔️ Aug28=6.25✔️ Oct10=6.20  ✔️ Oct21=6.0✔️ Dec16=5.80 ✔️ 2020➡️ Jan 21=5.60 ✔️ April2=5.40 ✔️ May29=5.20 ✔️ Aug14= 5.0 ✔️Sep29=4.80✔️2021➡️ Jan31=4.60 mg✔️ April24=4.40mg✔️Jul17=4.30mg ✔️ Aug 28=4.20 ✔️ Oct 11=4.15✔️Nov1=4.10 ✔️ Nov21= 4.05✔️ Dec13= 4mg ✔️2022 ➡️ Jan8=3.95✔️ Jan31=3.90✔️ March2=3.85 ✔️ April4=3.80 ✔️ June16=3.75✔️ July26=3.70✔️ Sep2=3.65✔️ Oct21=3.60 ✔️ Dec8=3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️ March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

7 hours ago, Carmie said:

Hi @Rw80, please know that our brains have a remarkable capacity to heal. It can be a scary journey, but it’s important to find ways to help yourself while your brain is healing. Maybe try and go outdoors every day, sit in the sun, listen to calming music or nature sounds, watch some shows you like etc. I know that it won’t get rid of the symptoms, but you need to try and distract yourself. A lot of people on here have SI, but they’re trying hard to incorporate things into their life that can help them to cope. It’s a matter of sometimes just taking an hour at a time, or a minute at a time. I’ve been there too. 

I was put on and off a myriad of meds and have had such severe symptoms, I stabilised eventually and now I’m doing a slow taper. I can’t escape withdrawals with every cut, but I try hard to try and do things that will help me to cope. I have lots of distractions.

I’ve had cognition and memory problems for three decades due to an illness I have, chronic fatigue syndrome. I’ve learnt to work around it. Maybe one day I’ll get over my illness. But when it comes to withdrawals though, your brain will eventually calm down, it takes time though. Have a look at the success stories on this site. Also, a lot of the time when people on this site have healed they don’t come back as they want to leave the memory of withdrawals behind them. 

As Altostrata said, it can take time for the withdrawals to subside, we can’t change that, so it’s important to find things that we can do to try and help to soothe ourselves. Everyone on this site is in the same boat. 

You’ve only gone off some of your meds this year and last year. You need to give it time. It’s not a good idea to predict how long you think withdrawals will take, none of us know. I know that your life feels like it’s on hold now, but please give it time. 

Sending hugs🤗

thank you for your reply 

my memory is so bad that I don’t remember what my favourite show is or even how to use a television. I am that bad. How can I be that bad and recover it seems impossible.

49 minutes ago, Rw80 said:

thank you for your reply 

my memory is so bad that I don’t remember what my favourite show is or even how to use a television. I am that bad. How can I be that bad and recover it seems impossible.

Hi! I'm so sorry this happened to you, I also dont have emotions, thoughts and have lost so much of my cognitive skills its really horrifying. I cant watch tv because I dont understand it and find myself confused very often at only 19.. holding conversations is near impossible and my memory is degrading too and my brain and body burns which is really concerning :(( I've also forgotten big moments in my life and feel really inhuman and completely removed from who I was, like I've forgotten her. I know how scary this is. 

Your brain is probably confused from all the drugs, mine too for sure 😭 I know just how awful it feels to lose yourself in this manner but I don't think you'll keep declining as long as you stay away from psych drugs.. I think you can make it out of this it just takes time! I hope you have support at home too

Just keep holding on ❤️

-Julia 

2021 Apr: zoloft 50mg eventually up to 200mg

2022 Oct: zoloft quick taper down to 50 mg (Nov) quit at 50mg mid-Nov 

2022 late Dec - Feb 15 '23: ativan 0.5 mg-1mg  on and off 

2022 Dec 30 - Jan 20: zoloft 75mg for 3-ish weeks 

2023 Jan 24: prozac 20mg taken 4 days (bad reaction)

2023 Jan 27: mirtazipine 15mg | (TRIED SWITCHING TO 25mg or 50mg ZOLOFT FROM FEB 12-13 WHILE ON MIRTAZIPINE, bad reaction) | Feb 13-15 '23: 30 mg | Feb 16-18: 15 mg, Feb 19 - current: 7.5mg 

-Since mid-Jan have taken a number of sleep pills only once and Gabapentin (200-600 mg) taken as needed, have tried CBD on and off, fish oil, antibiotics for UTI

-Since Feb 19 I have taken only 7.5mg Mirtazipine and the occasional fish oil, nothing else 

25 minutes ago, 18yoldoffZoloft said:

Hi! I'm so sorry this happened to you, I also dont have emotions, thoughts and have lost so much of my cognitive skills its really horrifying. I cant watch tv because I dont understand it and find myself confused very often at only 19.. holding conversations is near impossible and my memory is degrading too and my brain and body burns which is really concerning :(( I've also forgotten big moments in my life and feel really inhuman and completely removed from who I was, like I've forgotten her. I know how scary this is. 

Your brain is probably confused from all the drugs, mine too for sure 😭 I know just how awful it feels to lose yourself in this manner but I don't think you'll keep declining as long as you stay away from psych drugs.. I think you can make it out of this it just takes time! I hope you have support at home too

Just keep holding on ❤️

-Julia 

it feels like my entire life has been burned away with no memory of my existence. I have no skills no knowledge and absolutely no memories of how to do anything. It is all gone. I have given up on any hope of surviving. It feels like permanent brain damage now. I forget what I do 3 seconds after I do it. I don’t remember or know anyone in my house or where I live they’re in total strangers. I just pretend to know who they are. I can’t remember my house or the town I live in or any of my friends or family. I have no skills. I have 24/7 care at home by carers. I am completely retarded.

7 minutes ago, Rw80 said:

it feels like my entire life has been burned away with no memory of my existence. I have no skills no knowledge and absolutely no memories of how to do anything. It is all gone. I have given up on any hope of surviving. It feels like permanent brain damage now. I forget what I do 3 seconds after I do it. I don’t remember or know anyone in my house or where I live they’re in total strangers. I just pretend to know who they are. I can’t remember my house or the town I live in or any of my friends or family. I have no skills. I have 24/7 care at home by carers. I am completely retarded.

has it just gotten worse?? did the prozac in 2022 affect you? Im so sorry 

2021 Apr: zoloft 50mg eventually up to 200mg

2022 Oct: zoloft quick taper down to 50 mg (Nov) quit at 50mg mid-Nov 

2022 late Dec - Feb 15 '23: ativan 0.5 mg-1mg  on and off 

2022 Dec 30 - Jan 20: zoloft 75mg for 3-ish weeks 

2023 Jan 24: prozac 20mg taken 4 days (bad reaction)

2023 Jan 27: mirtazipine 15mg | (TRIED SWITCHING TO 25mg or 50mg ZOLOFT FROM FEB 12-13 WHILE ON MIRTAZIPINE, bad reaction) | Feb 13-15 '23: 30 mg | Feb 16-18: 15 mg, Feb 19 - current: 7.5mg 

-Since mid-Jan have taken a number of sleep pills only once and Gabapentin (200-600 mg) taken as needed, have tried CBD on and off, fish oil, antibiotics for UTI

-Since Feb 19 I have taken only 7.5mg Mirtazipine and the occasional fish oil, nothing else 

10 minutes ago, 18yoldoffZoloft said:

Hi @Wardy4022, I'm so sorry this happened to you its beyond inhumane :( I've been following your story since you got here and have been meaning to say something for a while.. 

I too have emotional anesthesia where its not even emotional numbness just complete removal of emotions and anhedonia. My body doesn't feel like mine anymore to the point of where I feel like I'm constantly spectating myself in third person. Everything I used to love is unfamiliar and scary and I've lost my interests, mental imagery, thoughts, memories and scared I'm getting worse. I also cannot hold conversations because my mind is just blank. The only things going on in my head are racing intrusive thoughts, images, words that make no damn sense :(( Just a complete sh*t show in my mind and body. I KNOW how hard it is to accept whats happening to us but its all we have. I too am wondering how the hell I can live without emotions as its really dehumanizing, but I know you can keep holding on!! Your family needs you and I'm so proud of you for going through 8 months and counting of this nightmare. I'll keep updated on your situation..

Stay strong please 

-Julia ❤️

5 minutes ago, 18yoldoffZoloft said:

has it just gotten worse?? did the prozac in 2022 affect you? Im so sorry 

everything made me worse. Every drug I took made things worse. Nothing made it better. I am living without a brain and I have been for 3 years. I don’t even understand money or tv or basic shopping. I have 24/7 care! It’s not normal I’m only 38 years old! 

• Administrator
17 hours ago, Rw80 said:

I am 5 months off my final prescription drug Prozac. 

Please put this information in your signature, which shows you went off Prozac in 2022.

Brain fog is also a common consequence of going off drugs such as Prozac and diazepam, and 5 months is not long for protracted post-discontinuation effects.

5 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Please put this information in your signature, which shows you went off Prozac in 2022.

Brain fog is also a common consequence of going off drugs such as Prozac and diazepam, and 5 months is not long for protracted post-discontinuation effects.

Ok sorry I will try to change my signature now. 

I am 2.5 years off the drug that gave me all of the problems though, is that not enough time for them to resolve and am I now permanently damaged? Can I assume that this is now my permanent state after 2.5 years?

• Administrator
On 6/16/2023 at 12:30 PM, Rw80 said:

Can I assume that this is now my permanent state after 2.5 years?

No, I would not assume that.

If you clear away the panicking over your symptoms, what are your current symptoms? How's your sleep?

2 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

No, I would not assume that.

If you clear away the panicking over your symptoms, what are your current symptoms? How's your sleep?

total long term and short term memory loss. No longer know my family friends house town. Cannot recognise who I am who I was. I don’t even remember how to be human. I’m so used to this that I can’t remember how to be normal at all 

• Administrator

Are those your only symptoms? How much exercise do you get?

No I have a plethora of physical symptoms too. Too many to list. Vertigo, nausea, burning all over, changes in appetite, no concept of time, season, weather. I had to relearn how to walk and talk. Seizures daily for 3 years. 
itching all over. Severe itching. Depersonalisation. Derealisation. Loss of memory and career and health in every way. Do not know what my favourite things are. Can’t go out alone. Can’t remember how to buy food, cook food. Nothing. It’s like I don’t exist but my body does. 

Mirtazapine adverse reaction then cold turkey hell. 

I know nothing about anyone. Just exist. 

exercise wise - I had to relearn how to walk. All I can do is walk. I can’t remember how to do anything else. I am a walking dead body and have been for 3 years. 

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Rw80 said:

Seizures daily for 3 years. 

What kind of seizures?

You must remember something, to be able to use this platform.

17 hours ago, Altostrata said:

What kind of seizures?

You must remember something, to be able to use this platform.

they called them dissociative seizures 

I have no idea how I’m able to use this platform. Genuinely. 

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Rw80 said:

they called them dissociative seizures 

What does this mean? How do you experience it?

36 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

What does this mean? How do you experience it?

From the outside it looks like an epileptic seizure but it isn’t epilepsy. They call them functional or ‘fake’ seizures. 

• Administrator

What does it look like? What does it feel like?

16 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

What does it look like? What does it feel like?

it looks like a tonic clonic fit, it feels like my brain is short circuiting. I usually vomit. 

• Administrator
48 minutes ago, Rw80 said:

tonic clonic fit,

I don't know what this is. Please describe.

From Google:

• You lose consciousness, so you won’t be aware of what’s happening
  • All your muscles go stiff, and if you’re standing you fall to the floor
  • Air might push past your voice box, which can make a sound like you’re crying out
  • You may bite down on your tongue or inside your mouth
  • Your limbs jerk quickly and rhythmically
  • You may lose control of your bladder and/or bowels
  • Your breathing may be affected, causing a blue tinge around your mouth

• Administrator

Is this what happens to you?

27 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Is this what happens to you?

A variation of this yes 

• Administrator

Sorry, I have no idea what this is or if it's connected in any way with your psychiatric drug history.

19 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Sorry, I have no idea what this is or if it's connected in any way with your psychiatric drug history.

The seizures were caused by cold turkey Mirtazapine withdrawl 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

See signature for timeline… 

but 3 years after coming off Mirtazapine I am still suffering the severe reaction with absolutely no hope. 

my doctor has now offered me Nortryptyline. I don’t know if it makes my chance of recovery even lower if I add another medication after spending 9 months being off EVERYTHING. 

he has prescribed it for the neuralgia and neuropathy caused by all of the other meds. 

my main symptom is severe memory loss from all the other drugs. And severe nerve pain in my head and face, legs and feet.

please can someone advise me?