questionthesystem: Suggestions of where to go for withdrawal 'rehab'

questionthesystem

I want to take 1 year out. Go someplace where I am not working and fighting the stresses of life. I want to focus on my withdrawal from antidepressants which numb me, and work on starting to feel 'real' again. When I look into options for this there doesn't seem to be any 'rehab' type facilities which meet my needs. Facilities for drug dependency and addiction don't feel they would be the right solution either. 

Has anyone every escaped life like this?

I can't do this withdrawal in my normal life. I've tried and with very slow tapers. Things always go horrible wrong. 

12 years escitalopram now 10mg. Periods on higher doses, citalopram, sertraline, and others which I have forgotten. Every time I have tried to taper it has ended horribly badly. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello, and welcome to SA.  We are a volunteer-run community of people who have been or are getting off of psychiatric drugs.  I'm sorry to hear that you have had so much trouble tapering off of psychiatric drugs.  I myself do not know of any rehab place that would help you taper off the drugs slowly enough.  I would be very cautious - I have heard of rehab places taking people off these drugs way too fast, and causing big problems.  

Can you please give us more specific information in your signature about your drug history for all drugs and supplements you are on and have been on, especially for the past 18-24 months?  Please only give us drug names, dosages, and dates, as best you can remember, in a list format.  Please read the link below for instructions.  

How to List Your Drug History in Your Signature

Here is some important information about how these drugs actually work.  This explains why we get symptoms from going off of these medications, and why it's so important to taper slowly and carefully, and be very cautious about changing our doses: 

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

This helps you understand what withdrawal syndrome is: 

Video on Recovery from Psych Drugs

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Tapering is best done extremely slowly, and we generally taper by 10% of the current dose no more than once every 4 weeks, so that the reduction becomes exponentially smaller.

Why Taper by 10% of my Dosage  

Tips for Tapering Lexapro

Since you have tried tapering several times, and have had trouble, I would suggest you consider micro tapering, which is an even gentler and more conservative method.  

Micro-Taper Instead of 10 or 5 Percent Decreases

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

• getofflex changed the title to questionthesystem: Suggestions of where to go for withdrawal 'rehab'
On 5/2/2024 at 4:13 PM, questionthesystem said:

I want to take 1 year out. Go someplace where I am not working and fighting the stresses of life. I want to focus on my withdrawal from antidepressants which numb me, and work on starting to feel 'real' again. When I look into options for this there doesn't seem to be any 'rehab' type facilities which meet my needs. Facilities for drug dependency and addiction don't feel they would be the right solution either. 

Has anyone every escaped life like this?

I can't do this withdrawal in my normal life. I've tried and with very slow tapers. Things always go horrible wrong. 

Hi @questionthesystem- I get wanting to escape.  And I do feel that there is utility in taking a break from life to deal with withdrawal, but it would be beneficial to take that time to figure out what lead you to start taking these drugs in the first place, work on resolving those issues, expanding your toolbox for coping with day to day stressors.  I, fortunately or unfortunately, am currently on long term disability due to long covid, and I am using this time for all of those things, to the very best of my ability.  It's a lot to take on.  But if you have the capacity to take time off to deal with withdrawal and the issues that brought you to where you are now, I would say go for it.  I think I have it much easier than many here, since all I really need to do right now is focus on my own wellness.

You say that previous attempts to taper have gone horribly wrong- what do you mean by that?  How did you approach your tapers specifically?  Do you have support of family or friends?  There is some wonderful information on this site about non-drug ways of dealing with symptom waves.  Getting off of these meds is a big commitment that will certainly involve learning about yourself, and learning what tools can help you along the way.  I really think this site is fantastic in so many ways- being in a community where people really do understand makes a big difference.  And the mods are a wonderful source of information.

Whatever you decide, keep posting here.  Document your journey- I'm using my thread as a bit of a journal currently.  I think it will help to look back someday and see how far I've come.  Hang in there!

1995- 2007- On and off multiple antidepressants (Prozac, Paxil, Effexor, Wellbutrin, escitalopram). Memory poor- can’t remember dates. Always tapered fast or CT.  2007- tapered Wellbutrin, zopiclone and escitalopram over one month to get pregnant.  Withdrawal hell.

2009- Daughter born 🥰

2016- Back on escitalopram

2022- Diagnosed with long covid 08/22.

2023- 01/23- Long term disability approved for long covid.  Started taper under MD advice from 20mg: 11/23- 15mg. 2024- March-10mg. Started low dose naltrexone for long covid-5mg- terrible reaction, reduced to 0.5mg.  April- 10mg escitalopram, 1.0mg LDN. May 1- 9.0mg escitalopram, 1.0mg LDN. May 15- 9.0mg escitalopram, 1.5mg LDN