HollowPRS: Hello! Lexapro Withdrawal help!

Posted (edited)

I just wanted to say thank you to posting your WD journey here. It seriously has made me feel that I’m not alone going through this nightmare of withdrawal. I’m currently 4 months off of Lexapro that I didn’t wean off of properly. 

I started on Lexapro 10mg July 7th of 2023 for a mild episode of depersonalization. Once I hopped on Lexapro I experienced depression for the first time, felt like I was starting to lose my mind, and overall just felt off while taking it. After just 2 days, I broke the pill in half to 5mg and it was much better, but not great. My Dr. told me that was “normal” while my body adjusted to hit. Finally in October I told him I wanted off of it so we began to wean. The problem is he had me breaking pills in half again and had me skipping days. 

Once I hit 1.25mg Lexapro every 3 days, my body finally felt normal. It was at this moment I cold turkey quit due to my Dr. saying it was such a low dose, I should be fine. 

Since then it has been absolutely terrible with symptoms. 

Dec. 24th 2023 - Last day of 1.25mg of Lexapro. 

Jan - heavy anxiety. Depression waves. OCD feeling. Agitation. Sleep began challenging. Highly sensitive to caffeine. Depersonalization in waves. 

Feb - I thought I finally turned the corner, things started feeling better. Feb 10th I noticed it felt weird to move my arms. Anxiety came back. Depression waves came back. Depersonalization in waves. Memory loss.  

March - I started losing fine motor skills in my hands. Holding a knife or fork was challenging, playing guitar became more difficult, couldn’t put leash on the dog. My blood pressure (for the first time ever in my life) came back high at 143/87. Felt like I was having stroke like symptoms. Had an MRI done on my brain just to make sure I didn’t have a tumor or something. Depersonalization. Memory loss. 

April - Top of the month started out better, finally getting some windows. Then I made the mistake of trying Tryptophan to see if it would help. Almost immediately after taking it, I noticed my motor skills came back and honestly felt great for a few

hours. The next morning however I immediately felt a giant wave kick in, along side of a catching a cold. Continued waves of depression. Anxiety. Depersonalization episodes. Now cognitively everything feels like it’s slowing down. Having a hard time even reading. Memory is getting worse. MRI came back normal, although having a Herniated disc in my neck. 

May- I still haven’t bounced back from the Tryptophan wave. I’m honestly trying to figure out if I should reinstate back to mg Lexapro or not. 😩. My body feels like it’s about to have a heart attack and I’m sure WD symptoms are just making my cortisol go through the roof. Is it wise to reinstate 4 months off of an SSRI? Should I just keep pushing through the WD symptoms? My fear is my body is going to get permanent damage from all the stress the WD symptoms are putting on it. It feels like early dementia and Parkinson’s with the muscle stiffness and loss of fine motor skills. 

I’m currently taking magnesium at night time, seems to help with sleep. Also just started taking Omega 3 with high EPA and DHA. 

Anyone have any advice? It’s very much appreciated! 

Edited by Erimus

July 7th 2023 - Started Lexapro 10mg. 
July 9th  - 5mg. 
October 8 - 2.5 mg.
November 15th - 2.5mg every 2 days. November 25- 2.5mg every 3 days. Dec 5th - 1.25mg every 2 days

Dec 18th - 1.25 every 3 days. 
Dec 24th - .30mg 

Now off Lexapro. 
Current Supplements

Magnesium at night

Omega 3 Fish Oil with EPA and DHA  

Posted (edited)

Hello! I’m so thankful I found this community. I was feeling total isolation just thinking something was terribly wrong with my brain after a fast taper off of Lexapro. Now I know it’s WD symptoms that I’ve been battling. Main symptoms currently are - Anxiety, depression, hypertension, depersonalization, chest pain, neck pain, loss of fine motor skills, muscle coordination, muscle tension, shortness of breath, OCD feelings, waking up 4-5 times during sleep. 

Current supplements are Calm Magnesium gummies at night and Fish Oil with high EPA and DHA. 

Being a little over 4 months off of Lexapro, I’m curious if I should keep pushing through the WD symptoms or reinstating 1mg Lexapro and doing a proper wean. I just hate the idea of throwing away my progress 😩. Here is the timeline below. Any help is appreciated!!

I started on Lexapro 10mg July 7th of 2023 for a mild episode of depersonalization. Once I hopped on Lexapro I experienced depression for the first time, felt like I was starting to lose my mind, and overall just felt “off” while taking it. After just 2 days, I broke the pill in half to 5mg and it was much better, but not great. My Dr. told me that was “normal” while my body adjusted to hit. Finally in October I told him I wanted off of it so we began to wean. The problem is he had me breaking pills in half again and had me skipping days. 

In December 2023, once I hit 1.25mg Lexapro every 3 days, my body finally felt normal. It was at this moment I cold turkey quit due to my Dr. saying it was such a low dose, I should be fine. 

Since then it has been absolutely terrible with symptoms. 

Dec. 24th 2023 - Last day of 1.25mg of Lexapro. 

Jan - heavy anxiety. Depression waves. OCD feeling. Agitation. Sleep began challenging. Highly sensitive to caffeine. Depersonalization in waves. 

Feb - I thought I finally turned the corner, things started feeling better. Feb 10th I noticed it felt weird to move my arms. Anxiety came back. Depression waves came back. Depersonalization in waves. Memory loss.  

March - I started losing fine motor skills in my hands. Holding a knife or fork was challenging, playing guitar became more difficult, couldn’t put leash on the dog. My blood pressure (for the first time ever in my life) came back high at 143/87. Felt like I was having stroke like symptoms. Had an MRI done on my brain just to make sure I didn’t have a tumor or something. Depersonalization. Memory loss. 

April - Top of the month started out better, finally getting some windows. Then I made the mistake of trying Tryptophan to see if it would help. Almost immediately after taking it, I noticed my motor skills came back and honestly felt great for a few

hours. The next morning however I immediately felt a giant wave kick in, along side of a catching a cold. Continued waves of depression. Anxiety. Depersonalization episodes. Now cognitively everything feels like it’s slowing down. Having a hard time even reading. Memory is getting worse. MRI came back normal, although having a Herniated disc in my neck. 

May- I still haven’t bounced back from the Tryptophan wave. I’m honestly trying to figure out if I should reinstate back to mg Lexapro or not. 😩. My body feels like it’s about to have a heart attack and I’m sure WD symptoms are just making my cortisol go through the roof. Is it wise to reinstate 4 months off of an SSRI? Should I just keep pushing through the WD symptoms? My fear is my body is going to get permanent damage from all the stress the WD symptoms are putting on it. It feels like early dementia and Parkinson’s with the muscle stiffness and loss of fine motor skills. 

Anyone have any advice? It’s very much appreciated! 

Edited by Emonda
Name to title

July 9th  - 5mg. 
October 8 - 2.5 mg.
November 15th - 2.5mg every 2 days. November 25- 2.5mg every 3 days. Dec 5th - 1.25mg every 2 days

Dec 24th - .30mg 

Now off Lexapro. 
Current Supplements

Magnesium at night

• Emonda changed the title to HollowPRS: Hello! Lexapro Withdrawal help!

Hello, and welcome to Surviving Antidepressants. We are a peer support forum to assist in tapering off psychiatric drugs safely, or recovering from psychiatric drug withdrawal.

This topic is for anything relating to you, and any questions you have. Please do not start another topic.

We recommend tapering by no more than 10% of your CURRENT dose each month, to limit withdrawal symptoms. E.g. 10mg --> 9mg --> 8.1mg --> 7.29mg

All the answers you are looking for regarding tapering and antidepressant withdrawal are on this site. Please search around and continue to read as much as you can manage. Use the site search function to search for specific words or phrases, such as drugs or symptoms.

Here are a few of the most useful links:

--------Important topics in the Tapering forum and FAQ--------

Micro tapering

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

Using a scale to weigh and measure doses

--------From the Symptoms and Self-Care Forums--------

What is withdrawal syndrome?

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Hypersensitivity and Kindling

We only recommend two supplements. Omega 3 Fish Oil and Magnesium. Both should be introduced separately and increased slowly.

Regards

Erimus

Active Monday-Friday UK time

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

50mg - Oct 2020, 100mg - Dec 2020, 50mg - April 2021, 75mg - May 2021, 50mg - Sep 2021; 55mg - 23 Feb 2024; 60mg - 20 March 2024; Start tapering - 24 April 2024

Current dose: 57.93mg  (15 May 2024)

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

Cod liver oil, Magnesium, Vitamin C

19 hours ago, HollowPRS said:

Is it wise to reinstate 4 months off of an SSRI? Should I just keep pushing through the WD symptoms?

Best time to reinstate is within the first month, but we have many members who have responded well to reinstating further out than that. If you have to work and/or take care of people I would suggest a very small reinstatement, as it doesn't sound like you are functioning well at all. From a personal stand point, I don't really buy into "pushing through" anymore. There are other, often better, options.

I would suggest a start dose of 0.25-0.5mg. The eaisest way to do this is by dissolving your tablets in a measured volume of water, and using an oral syringe to draw up your dose. For example, you could dissolve your 5mg tablet in 50ml of water. This would give you 0.1mg/ml of liquid. So to take a dose of 0.5mg, you would need to draw up 5ml using an oral syringe.

Active Monday-Friday UK time

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

50mg - Oct 2020, 100mg - Dec 2020, 50mg - April 2021, 75mg - May 2021, 50mg - Sep 2021; 55mg - 23 Feb 2024; 60mg - 20 March 2024; Start tapering - 24 April 2024

Current dose: 57.93mg  (15 May 2024)

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

Cod liver oil, Magnesium, Vitamin C

@Erimusthank you so much for the reply and advice! I am married and have 3 kids to look after. Also have a full time job. Luckily, my wife has been an absolute godsend through this whole journey with support and helping with kids. 

Due to me working from home, it’s almost making the WD symptoms amplified. It just feels like I have too much time in my head without the people engagement of going in to work each day and distracting myself from it. That also being said, it just feels like symptoms keep getting worse. 

The scariest parts right now are the steady cognitive decline and the loss of motor skills. Going to meet with my PCP about possibly reinstating on Thursday of this week. The good thing is I know I can get my hands on 5mg/5ml Lexapro liquid from my pharmacy. Again, I’m just fearful of setting back any progress I’ve made over the last 4 months 😣

July 9th  - 5mg. 
October 8 - 2.5 mg.

Dec 24th - .30mg 

Now off Lexapro. 
Current Supplements

Magnesium at night