Geovannna: I’m new here .. off of 10 mg Escitalopram for just 2 months

Posted (edited)

I just signed up to this website out of pure desperation. It is so encouraging to see that someone has made it to the other side. I am in just coming into month 2 of being completely off of Lexapro 10 mg.
Desperation that I feel when I get anxious when I am hyper aware of my mouth, my tongue, my breathing, the lack of sleep waking up after being asleep for two hours immediately on flight is so overwhelming. I find myself thinking am I even gonna be able to make it through this? Should I just go back on Lexapro? Why am I being punished for trying to do a good thing? I’m still taking 3/4 of trazodone to try to sleep, but I still wake up. How long did it take for you to actually start feeling normal? Is there a time after the first month where symptoms become worse before they get better? Only because today I cried desperately and began to hyperventilate to the point of almost passing out. And I thought this was going to happen the first few weeks of getting off, so I am super discouraged that I’m experiencing these emotional breakdowns .

Thanks in advance for answering any question I asked, I just need to know that this is only for the meantime🥺

Edited by Erimus

Escitalopram 10mg:

Mid Oct 2019 

Started tapering off Feb 19th 2024 - March 9th 2024: Per Doctor’s order (Wk 1) 7.5mg (Wk 2) 5mg (Wk 3)2.5 (Wk 4) Completely off 

Trazadone 50mg (for sleep): 

Mid Oct 2019 at 50mg 

Started tapering off March 12th 2024 37.5 have  stayed steady ( still wake up through the night)  May 6th 2024 down to 50mg (only diff I wake up but NOT in a panic) same method was suggested for trazadone from Doctor. 

Supplements:

B complex 50mg (not sure if this helps or not or makes it worse ) 

DHA Nordic naturals (fish oil) 

Hi, I’ve recently come off of Lexapro 10 mg while still being on 3/4 of a 50 mg trazodone to try to help with sleep. 
I am entering two months of being off of Lexapro(the generic version) the few weeks were horrible, I thought I was getting to the other side of things. However, today and for the past week and a half I’ve been experiencing anxiousness and what feels like depressive symptoms. I have been very proactive.(I feel.) with helping myself through this. I take two DHA and one vitamin B complex daily, I’ve started to try to eat more foods that help the creation of serotonin.But because the feeling of being full is a trigger to hyperfocus on breathing, it’s almost counteractive . I work out 1 1/2- 2 hours 4 days a week and I expected to be MUCH better than where I currently am. Has anyone experienced this? How long does it take to start feeling normal less anxious and maybe not depressed ? Any suggestions to help me cope with this? I feel desperate and feel like I should just go back on it to be “normal”. Thanks in advance to anyone who responds . 

Escitalopram 10mg:

Mid Oct 2019 

Started tapering off Feb 19th 2024 - March 9th 2024: Per Doctor’s order (Wk 1) 7.5mg (Wk 2) 5mg (Wk 3)2.5 (Wk 4) Completely off 

Mid Oct 2019 at 50mg 

Started tapering off March 12th 2024 37.5 have  stayed steady ( still wake up through the night)  May 6th 2024 down to 50mg (only diff I wake up but NOT in a panic) same method was suggested for trazadone from Doctor. 

Supplements:

Posted (edited)

Hey there , I’m currently off Escitalopram officially for 2 months. I’m currently taking 45mg of trazadone “for sleep” which is almost pointless since I’m up 2 hrs from falling asleep in flight mode and at times in a panic feeling like I was not breathing while I slept. 
I almost want to just stop trazadone to just be done with it since It really isn’t doing what it’s supposed to do (keeping me asleep) but I’m terrified of withdrawal symptoms.

My doctor had me taper off escitalopram in a month. 1st week 7.5mg 2nd week 5mg 3rd week 2.5 then 4th completely off. Withdrawal symptoms were horrid , sweating , anxiousness brain zaps , confusion, restlessness ect. I was told to get on b complex 100mg and omegas. Which I did with L theanine then ashwaganda an 5http ( I was desperate) . I now am on b complex 50mg Nordic natural DHA and the trazadone. 
I genuinely thought the more time that goes by the better I’ll feel. And after 2 weeks of getting off, it really felt like that. Now, I’m struggling BAD with anxiousness, I wake up in a panic from sleeping, when I eat I’m full really fast and then get anxious when I feel full. I’m super hyper aware of my breathing, my mouth and that just becomes a trigger for me. I work out 2 hrs a day 4 days a week, have incorporated foods snacks ect that help production of serotonin so why do I feel like this now? I find myself battling the thought of going back on for “freedom” of these feelings. Has anyone experienced this? Where it starts to feel worse after you thought the worst had passed ? Has anyone cut trazadon cold turkey? (Been on it for 4 years same with escitalopram)

Any and all advice and thoughts are welcomed. It gets to feel real lonely when it’s just you in your head😭 Thanks in advance ❤️

Edited by Emonda
Name to title

Escitalopram 10mg:

Mid Oct 2019 

Mid Oct 2019 at 50mg 

Supplements:

• Emonda changed the title to Geovannna: I’m new here .. off of 10 mg Escitalopram for just 2 months

Hello, and welcome to Surviving Antidepressants. We are a peer support forum to assist in tapering off psychiatric drugs safely, or recovering from psychiatric drug withdrawal.

Your first task is to create a drug signature, with the following:

• All current medication you take, the dose you take, when you started the drug, and when you made dose changes
  • All current supplements you take
  • An accurate history of recent drugs, taken in the last 12-24 months
  • Dates for recent should be written as 7 Oct 2023, or Oct 7 2023, or early Oct 2023, or mid Oct 2023
  • A history of drugs taken 24 months ago and beyond - if applicable
  • Dates for historical drugs can simply be listed as start and stop years
  • Please do not use 07/10/23 // 10/07/23 as this is intepreted differently around the world

• Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. See my signature for example of clear and concise information.

Active Monday-Friday UK time

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

50mg - Oct 2020, 100mg - Dec 2020, 50mg - April 2021, 75mg - May 2021, 50mg - Sep 2021; 55mg - 23 Feb 2024; 60mg - 20 March 2024; Start tapering - 24 April 2024

Current dose: 57.93mg  (15 May 2024)

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

Cod liver oil, Magnesium, Vitamin C

Hi @Geovannna!

It's not all in your head and you are absolutely not alone.  You tapered very quickly, and according to statistics, around half of people do experience withdrawal from antidepressants.  Everything you describe here sounds exactly like my experience of withdrawal from Lex after a quick taper.  I think time and patience really is the best healer of all.  

I found it helpful when I first joined to read through the symptoms and self-care forum to find non-drug ways of coping.  I also have a great therapist, but I understand that not everyone is in the headspace to pursue therapy during withdrawal.  But if you are, it's very helpful to take a hard and honest look at how you ended up going on antidepressants in the first place, and developing those non-drug coping strategies.  

Many of us in withdrawal are hypersensitive to supplements, so I would certainly be careful with that.  And go easy on yourself with the working out- it could be causing adrenaline dumps, and ultimately making you feel worse.  Give your body time to stabilize.  Healing is happening all the time- we just have to let it!

1995- 2007- On and off multiple antidepressants (Prozac, Paxil, Effexor, Wellbutrin, escitalopram). Memory poor- can’t remember dates. Always tapered fast or CT.  2007- tapered Wellbutrin, zopiclone and escitalopram over one month to get pregnant.  Withdrawal hell.

2009- Daughter born 🥰

2016- Back on escitalopram

2022- Diagnosed with long covid 08/22.

2023- 01/23- Long term disability approved for long covid.  Started taper under MD advice from 20mg: 11/23- 15mg. 2024- March-10mg. Started low dose naltrexone for long covid-5mg- terrible reaction, reduced to 0.5mg.  April- 10mg escitalopram, 1.0mg LDN. May 1- 9.0mg escitalopram, 1.0mg LDN. May 15- 9.0mg escitalopram, 1.5mg LDN

Hi @Catwoman73 

ughh I needed this so bad 😭 it can be debilitating for me . I’ve been wondering if b complex has been having an adverse affect on me . I started with 100mg per my doctor and then went down because I felt like I was peeing it all out . 
thanks for answering me 🥹 I was really down and out about this. I’m so happy you’re out and free, certainly gives me hope. How long did it take for you to start to feel “ normal “ ? 
I do have a counselor and she wonderful, but the symptoms can be brutal .

Escitalopram 10mg:

Mid Oct 2019 

Mid Oct 2019 at 50mg 

Supplements:

SO, daily I take 50mg B complex (started  at 100 ), DHA (which has 830 mg of omega 3s, 205 mg of EPA, 480mg of DHA ). Plus I take 25mg of trazodone nightly ( currently trying to temper off  suggestions on how long to stay at 25mg on it is appreciated ).  I been  OFF of escitalopram for 2 months. 
What is everyone else taking as supplements to help with anxiety & sleep after getting off ssri’s.

Also, has anyone read and practice

“HOPE & HELP for your nerves”.                     

“END ANXIETY NOW”

by DR. Claire Weekes 

I started reading it and trying to put into practice some of the steps she suggests and started experiencing a few brain zaps yesterday and today.  
Just looking for some practical practices I can start doing to better my anxiety and sleep. Maybe some recommendations for supplements. 
thanks in advance ❤️

Escitalopram 10mg:

Mid Oct 2019 

Mid Oct 2019 at 50mg 

Supplements:

On 5/7/2024 at 7:32 PM, Geovannna said:

Hi @Catwoman73 

ughh I needed this so bad 😭 it can be debilitating for me . I’ve been wondering if b complex has been having an adverse affect on me . I started with 100mg per my doctor and then went down because I felt like I was peeing it all out . 
thanks for answering me 🥹 I was really down and out about this. I’m so happy you’re out and free, certainly gives me hope. How long did it take for you to start to feel “ normal “ ? 
I do have a counselor and she wonderful, but the symptoms can be brutal .

Oh, I'm still in the thick of it at the moment... tapering from escitalopram VERY slowly this time.  I have rapidly tapered or cold turkeyed off of escitalopram, Wellbutrin, Paxil, Effexor, Prozac and Zopiclone in the past.  So I'm not new to this rodeo.  My drug history is a little bit chaotic, so I'm not even sure what normal is anymore lol (looking forward to finding out some day!)... but the acute withdrawal effects can vary in duration from one person to another.  A variety of factors come into play here, including how long you took the drug for, other drugs/health issues, genetic factors affecting your metabolism, social factors/stress levels (yes, staying in a job that is sucking the life out of you will make healing slower!).  All any of us can do is take it one minute at a time, and find ways to cope along the way. 

I'm not a moderator, but the only supplements they recommend here is fish oil and magnesium.  Magnesium is wonderful for sleep.  And do keep in mind, it's very common for those of us in withdrawal to be extremely sensitive to supplements and medications.  I had a two month setback after needing antibiotics in January, and a short setback after just TRYING magnesium for one night.  

My sleep is one big $hit show lol, but a few things help- no screens for two hours before bed, no caffeine after 2pm (not at all anymore for me- it's one of those substances I have become sensitive to), read before bed (great to be distracted until you are tired), going to bed and getting up at the same time each day.  And if I wake up with my early morning cortisol spike, I often struggle to get back to sleep- I've really found that progressive relaxation exercises are helpful here. 

In terms of other ways of coping with the day to day symptoms, distraction is a huge thing for me.  I'll force myself to get up and cook, or pay some bills... anything to keep my mind occupied.  I don't really have any health anxiety, so taking the time to read and become informed about what I'm going through is helpful for me, but I understand it's triggering for some others.  To calm my mind- gentle exercise, walking meditation (focusing on my surroundings on a walk, rather than turning inward and allowing my mind to race), calming music, progressive relaxation (progressing from toes upward to forehead), snuggling with pets, and repeating mantras over and over (I will get well, this is temporary, etc).  

Just remember- getting through the acute symptoms takes work, but healing is always happening!  

1995- 2007- On and off multiple antidepressants (Prozac, Paxil, Effexor, Wellbutrin, escitalopram). Memory poor- can’t remember dates. Always tapered fast or CT.  2007- tapered Wellbutrin, zopiclone and escitalopram over one month to get pregnant.  Withdrawal hell.

2009- Daughter born 🥰

2016- Back on escitalopram

2022- Diagnosed with long covid 08/22.

2023- 01/23- Long term disability approved for long covid.  Started taper under MD advice from 20mg: 11/23- 15mg. 2024- March-10mg. Started low dose naltrexone for long covid-5mg- terrible reaction, reduced to 0.5mg.  April- 10mg escitalopram, 1.0mg LDN. May 1- 9.0mg escitalopram, 1.0mg LDN. May 15- 9.0mg escitalopram, 1.5mg LDN