Celeste1990 - adverse reaction to lexapro

Hi everyone,

On April 6, 2024 I had one 10mg dose of Lexapro. I had been experiencing some sleep anxiety and had taken Lexapro in the past (2012 and again in 2015) so I figured there was no risk. I immediately had an adverse reaction. I took it before bed, and all night was having severe muscle jerking all over my body. The next day I continued having the jerking along with brain zaps, dizziness and depression/anxiety. It’s now been a little over a month and I’m getting really discouraged that my symptoms aren’t really improving at all. I’m only getting 2-4 hours of sleep per night, extreme dizziness, tinnitus and muscle twitching and jerking. I’ve also been experiencing hypnic jerks, where I’ll twitch or jerk awake over and over again while trying to sleep. I think the reason for my reaction was because I had taken Lexapro in the past and therefore my body is more sensitive to it. 

I’ve been trying to cope best I can but to be honest I’m really struggling. I have a 2 year old son and I hate not being able to take him on outings or even really just be present for him. It’s taking a toll on my marriage as well, as I’ve been extremely depressed. I’ve tried therapy but to be honest it makes me feel worse. I’m SO scared this is going to be permanent, to the point that I’ve been thinking things might be better if I wasn’t here anymore. To look at my son and picture his life without a mom is a truly devastating experience. But I truly could not live my life like this forever. 

2012-2013 - 5mg Lexapro

2015-2016 - 5mg Lexapro

(the above are approximate dates but each time i was taking it for at least 6 months)

April 6, 2024 - one 10mg dose Lexapro and immediate adverse reaction 

Hi everyone,

On April 6, 2024 I had one 10mg dose of Lexapro. I had been experiencing some sleep anxiety and had taken Lexapro in the past (2012 and again in 2015) so I figured there was no risk. I immediately had an adverse reaction. I took it before bed, and all night was having severe muscle jerking all over my body. The next day I continued having the jerking along with brain zaps, dizziness and depression/anxiety. It’s now been a little over a month and I’m getting really discouraged that my symptoms aren’t really improving at all. I’m only getting 2-4 hours of sleep per night, extreme dizziness, tinnitus and muscle twitching and jerking. I’ve also been experiencing hypnic jerks, where I’ll twitch or jerk awake over and over again while trying to sleep. I think the reason for my reaction was because I had taken Lexapro in the past and therefore my body is more sensitive to it. 

I’ve been trying to cope best I can but to be honest I’m really struggling. I have a 2 year old son and I hate not being able to take him on outings or even really just be present for him. It’s taking a toll on my marriage as well, as I’ve been extremely depressed. I’ve tried therapy but to be honest it makes me feel worse. I’m SO scared this is going to be permanent, to the point that I’ve been thinking things might be better if I wasn’t here anymore. To look at my son and picture his life without a mom is a truly devastating experience. But I truly could not live my life like this forever. 

2012-2013 - 5mg Lexapro

2015-2016 - 5mg Lexapro

(the above are approximate dates but each time i was taking it for at least 6 months)

Hi Celeste,

Welcome to SA. Please summarize your drug history in your signature by following the instructions at How to Summarize Your Drug History in Your Signature. You may need to be on a computer to complete this.

We have information about adverse reactions at Immediate adverse reactions to an antidepressant or within a few doses? How long for recovery?

It might help to also understand The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization.

As you continue to heal, it is important to take care of yourself and prevent further instability so we recommend not drinking alcohol, using marijuana or related products, and avoiding strenuous exercise so light exercise such as walks outside can be helpful.

You may also find the following supplements helpful -

If you decide to try them, would add one at a time to see how you react.

Thanks,

Firefly

Pre- October 2022: Wellbutrin, Escitalopram, CitalopramSertraline, Adderall IR, Vyvanse, Propranolol, Buspar, Ativan, and Latuda

Oct 13, 2022 - Oct 24, 2022 and Oct 31, 2022 - Present: Zyprexa (2.5 mg). Jan 14, 2023 -> Began transition to liquid suspension. Jan 29, 2023 = 2.375mg -> Feb 12, 2023 = 2.25mg -> Feb 27, 2023 = 2.14mg -> Mar 12, 2023 = 2.025mg -> Mar 27, 2023 = 1.93mg -> Apr 10, 2023 = 1.82mg -> Apr 23, 2023 = 1.74mg -> May 7, 2023 = 1.64mg -> May 21, 2023 = 1.56mg -> June 4, 2023 = 1.48mg -> June 19, 2023 = 1.4mg -> July 2, 2023 = 1.33mg -> July 16, 2023 = 1.26mg -> July 31, 2023 = 1.2mg -> Aug 13, 2023 = 1.14mg -> Aug 27, 2023 = 1.08mg -> Sep 13, 2023 = 1.02mg -> Jan 22, 2024 = 0.97mg -> Feb 4, 2024 = 0.92mg -> Feb 19, 2024 = 0.87mg -> Mar 3, 2024 = 0.83mg -> Mar 17, 2024 = 0.78mg -> Mar 31, 2024 = 0.74mg -> Apr 14, 2024 = 0.7mg -> Apr 28, 2024 = 0.66mg -> May 12, 2024 = 0.63mg

Oct 14, 2022 - Present: Prozac (40mg) upped from 20mg on Nov 1, 2022.

Oct 31, 2022 - Present: Gabapentin (300mg 3x day) -> May 3, 2023 = 300mg 2x day -> Oct 1, 2023 = 570mg -> Oct 15, 2023 = 540mg -> Oct 29, 2023 = 510mg -> Nov 13, 2023 = 484mg -> Nov 27, 2023 = 460mg -> Dec 9, 2023 = 436mg -> Dec 24, 2023 = 414mg -> Jan 7, 2024 = 400mg

22 hours ago, Celeste1990 said:

Hi everyone,

On April 6, 2024 I had one 10mg dose of Lexapro. I had been experiencing some sleep anxiety and had taken Lexapro in the past (2012 and again in 2015) so I figured there was no risk. I immediately had an adverse reaction. I took it before bed, and all night was having severe muscle jerking all over my body. The next day I continued having the jerking along with brain zaps, dizziness and depression/anxiety. It’s now been a little over a month and I’m getting really discouraged that my symptoms aren’t really improving at all. I’m only getting 2-4 hours of sleep per night, extreme dizziness, tinnitus and muscle twitching and jerking. I’ve also been experiencing hypnic jerks, where I’ll twitch or jerk awake over and over again while trying to sleep. I think the reason for my reaction was because I had taken Lexapro in the past and therefore my body is more sensitive to it. 

I'm so sorry @Celeste1990.  Doctors don't have any clue that this sort of thing can happen.  The good news is that you will heal, but it may take some time.  This is not permanent.  In addition to what FireflyFyte said above, I would recommend having a read of the non-drug methods of coping.  Therapy is a wonderful tool, but it does take energy that you may not have at this time.  Personally, I am in therapy, but I have shifted our conversations lately to discussing what I can do to get through symptom waves.  My therapist has helped me with a few mental techniques I can use when I'm spiralling.

I can totally see how this could affect a marriage- it really is a crisis, and will test your resolve and commitment.  Now is the time for very open, honest communication with your spouse.  Calmly explain exactly what you are experiencing.  I describe my symptoms to my husband in detail- brain zaps are like electricity passing through your brain, etc.  Tell him what he can do to help you through it.  And what he shouldn't do lol- I get extremely sensitive skin sometimes, and just can't bear to be touched.  All I have to do now is say 'SKIN!!!" when he goes to touch my back or something, and he stops, and we have a little laugh about it.  

As for your son, he will be ok, despite the challenges his mom is facing right now.  Do the best you can.  As parents, that's really all we can do, and our best IS enough.  

Sending hugs... you will get through this!

1995- 2007- On and off multiple antidepressants (Prozac, Paxil, Effexor, Wellbutrin, escitalopram). Memory poor- can’t remember dates. Always tapered fast or CT.  2007- tapered Wellbutrin, zopiclone and escitalopram over one month to get pregnant.  Withdrawal hell.

2009- Daughter born 🥰

2016- Back on escitalopram

2022- Diagnosed with long covid 08/22.

2023- 01/23- Long term disability approved for long covid.  Started taper under MD advice from 20mg: 11/23- 15mg. 2024- March-10mg. Started low dose naltrexone for long covid-5mg- terrible reaction, reduced to 0.5mg.  April- 10mg escitalopram, 1.0mg LDN. May 1- 9.0mg escitalopram, 1.0mg LDN. May 15- 9.0mg escitalopram, 1.5mg LDN

@Catwoman73 Thank you so much for your kind words ❤️ I think if I knew for a fact I would get better i would just buckle up and ride it out but the uncertainty is what’s doing me in. I hope things get better for you as well. 

2012-2013 - 5mg Lexapro

2015-2016 - 5mg Lexapro

Hi @Celeste1990

Welcome to SA. 

I'm sorry for what has brought you here and glad you've found us. 

I'm not a moderator but offer a friendly reminder to create your drug signature (see instructions below).

This will allow fellow members and support staff to better assist you moving forward.  

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

August 2021 - 2mg melatonin   August 1, 2022 - 1mg melatonin   March 31, 2023 - 0mg melatonin

2024 supplements update: electrolyte blend in water sipped throughout the day; 1 tsp fish oil blend w/ morning meal (incl. vit. A+D+E); calcium; vitamin C+zinc

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.  - Karle Wilson Baker

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

I am not a medical professional; this is not medical advice. 

8 hours ago, Celeste1990 said:

I think if I knew for a fact I would get better i would just buckle up and ride it out but the uncertainty is what’s doing me in.

My best advice is that, in this context, uncertainty is a function of mind and, as such, becomes a behavioral choice. Likewise, it is a choice to know you will get better.

You WILL recover, you WILL heal. Everyone heals.

Now decide to embrace the fact that you will heal, accept that healing is happening, CHOOSE to KNOW that you are healing in every moment. 

TRUST in your healing. 

Healing is happening all the time, whether or not we consciously perceive it. 

As Angie Peacock and Baylissa Frederick and countless other survivors tell us, you don't have to believe in healing to heal, because you will heal regardless. 

However, when you choose to believe that you will and are healing, when you truly accept and align yourself with this belief, it will transform your lived experience and alleviate much of the secondary suffering on your journey.

So cast uncertainty aside -- or learn to live with it humming in the background, without giving it creedence -- KNOW you will get better, and "buckle up and ride it out"! 

Yeehaw, you got this! 

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

August 2021 - 2mg melatonin   August 1, 2022 - 1mg melatonin   March 31, 2023 - 0mg melatonin

2024 supplements update: electrolyte blend in water sipped throughout the day; 1 tsp fish oil blend w/ morning meal (incl. vit. A+D+E); calcium; vitamin C+zinc

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

Check out this fantastic help topic originally started by member Scrountz, in recovery from a severe adverse reaction:

In the recovery forum you'll find numerous success stories of members who've healed from adverse drug reactions. 

Here's one to get you started:

How are you feeling today, @Celeste1990?

1995- 2007- On and off multiple antidepressants (Prozac, Paxil, Effexor, Wellbutrin, escitalopram). Memory poor- can’t remember dates. Always tapered fast or CT.  2007- tapered Wellbutrin, zopiclone and escitalopram over one month to get pregnant.  Withdrawal hell.

2009- Daughter born 🥰

2023- 01/23- Long term disability approved for long covid.  Started taper under MD advice from 20mg: 11/23- 15mg. 2024- March-10mg. Started low dose naltrexone for long covid-5mg- terrible reaction, reduced to 0.5mg.  April- 10mg escitalopram, 1.0mg LDN. May 1- 9.0mg escitalopram, 1.0mg LDN. May 15- 9.0mg escitalopram, 1.5mg LDN

2 hours ago, Catwoman73 said:

How are you feeling today, @Celeste1990?

So kind of you to ask @Catwoman73 unfortunately I am not doing very well. My doctor prescribed me cyproheptadine which is supposed to lower serotonin and help with sleep. I took it last night and did sleep well but this morning as it wore off I started to feel a lot worse. Very dizzy and getting a strange out of body sensation (I believe it’s called DP/DR?) My spirits are quite low too. I tried going out yesterday for Mother’s Day brunch and it was so heartbreaking to see all the normal happy families while I’m barely holding it together. I think if I had small improvements I would feel better but I’ve had no changes to my symptoms in the past month which is so discouraging. My poor family deserves so much better. 💔

2012-2013 - 5mg Lexapro

2015-2016 - 5mg Lexapro

59 minutes ago, Celeste1990 said:

So kind of you to ask @Catwoman73 unfortunately I am not doing very well. My doctor prescribed me cyproheptadine which is supposed to lower serotonin and help with sleep. I took it last night and did sleep well but this morning as it wore off I started to feel a lot worse. Very dizzy and getting a strange out of body sensation (I believe it’s called DP/DR?) My spirits are quite low too. I tried going out yesterday for Mother’s Day brunch and it was so heartbreaking to see all the normal happy families while I’m barely holding it together. I think if I had small improvements I would feel better but I’ve had no changes to my symptoms in the past month which is so discouraging. My poor family deserves so much better. 💔

I'm so sorry to hear.  I'm not a moderator here, but I think most people who have walked this path would agree that our answer to a drug withdrawal issue is almost never a prescription for another drug.  In fact, many of us have become exquisitely sensitive to medications, supplements, and even foods, and they tend to make us worse rather than better in the short term (which seems to be the case with you), and produce a dependence on another medication that you will have to taper later.  Only you know what's best for you, but don't feel like you have to take it just because it was prescribed for you.  

DP/DR is awful- I've been there!.  It does get better, but if the cyproheptadine caused it that quickly, I would certainly hesitate to take any more of it.  Sadly, there is no magic cure for what you are experiencing.  Time and patience are the answer.  Find ways to cope- distraction, taking walks, etc... everyone has a different way of managing symptoms.  And it is a bit of trial and error figuring out what works for you.  I have some odd methods of coping- my favourite is to use that DP/DR to my advantage, and look at symptoms very clinically when they pop up.  Rather than being upset or angry or frustrated, I just look at the process as interesting.  I'm not saying it's easy (AT ALL), but whatever you use to cope does become habit with time.

A month is not that long in terms of recovery.  I know it feels incredibly long, but it really isn't.  I can't emphasize time and patience enough!  

As for your family- yes, they deserve better, but so do you!  And right now, you need to take care of yourself if you want to be there with them for the long run.  The thing is, life is not going to be all sunshine and roses.  We are not going to be exude joy every day- we're human!  We are all going to go through hard times that impact our relationships, our work, our social lives.  No one is immune.  This is your hard time- you don't have to feel guilty about something you have no control over.  Keep the lines of communication open, and explain that you will get through this, but it will take time.  My husband became a much more patient person with me once I really explained what I was going through, completely unfiltered.  Your family loves you- they will be supportive if you help them understand. 

2009- Daughter born 🥰

@Catwoman73 Thank you so much for your insight. You are a very kind and caring person to come on here and type up such wise advice to just another stranger on the internet. It is much appreciated. And you’re right about the cyproheptadine, I think it’s causing further distress to my symptoms so I will stop taking it. 

2012-2013 - 5mg Lexapro

2015-2016 - 5mg Lexapro

3 minutes ago, Celeste1990 said:

@Catwoman73 Thank you so much for your insight. You are a very kind and caring person to come on here and type up such wise advice to just another stranger on the internet. It is much appreciated. And you’re right about the cyproheptadine, I think it’s causing further distress to my symptoms so I will stop taking it. 

My pleasure... it's nice to be able to help out.  I'm not at all in crisis right now... just plugging along with my taper.  So I like to be there for my peers who are struggling more than I am.  My day is coming lol... once I taper to below 5mg, I'll be struggling too.  And I know that everyone will be here to help me out when that happens too- this community is great for that. 

Hang in there, and keep believing that our bodies are designed to heal!  It will happen.

2009- Daughter born 🥰

@Ariel thank you so much for the encouragement and for sharing those links. I gave them a read and they were very helpful. It’s encouraging to read of others who went through something similar and came out the other side. I keep telling myself this will make me stronger and I pray that’s the case. 

2012-2013 - 5mg Lexapro

2015-2016 - 5mg Lexapro

@Celeste1990

Thank you for your sweet message, it's so nice to hear the links were helpful. 

Many before us have healed and we will, too. In fact, we're healing right now in this very moment!

Healing is happening all the time, even when we don't consciously perceive it. 

And even though recovery can feel like such a lonely road, we are lucky to share and co-create this wonderful community.

We're in this together!

In solidarity and support, sending healing vibes,

A.

@FireflyFyte do you think it’s possible I could be experiencing withdrawals rather than (or in addition to) an adverse reaction? My dizziness seems to be getting worse rather than better. I just had the one dose of Lexapro last month but I had taken it for longer periods of time in the past so I’m wondering if it triggered withdrawal? I’m guessing the answer is no but I’m just wondering if reinstating a tiny amount would be worth trying, or if it would just make it worse. 

2012-2013 - 5mg Lexapro

2015-2016 - 5mg Lexapro

I had an appointment with a neurologist today and he suggested vestibular rehab for the dizziness, basically training and desensitizing your brain to movement that triggers dizziness. I’ll try to keep posting here just to document my symptoms! Right now the dizziness is awful but the twitching seems to be better and sleep is better too. 

2012-2013 - 5mg Lexapro

2015-2016 - 5mg Lexapro

Hi @Celeste1990 👋🏼 I just wanted to reach out because I’m in a very similar situation. I’m also a mother to young children (2 & 6) and totally empathize with your story. I’m only about 6 months out from my last dose of Lexapro, so I’m early on in my journey, but it does get better. Dizziness is one of my worst symptoms as well and I started vestibular rehab just last week. While it hasn’t gone away, I do feel like it’s helped some. I also struggle with mom guilt and thoughts that my children and husband would be better off without me. I’ve just recently started to reframe how I approach myself and have tried to give myself more grace. SSRI withdrawal or adverse effects from them is a medical condition and not something you willingly chose. Most of us are not informed completely by our doctors when being started on these medications. I try to remind myself that I’ve been injured by these drugs and that I’ve got to give myself space to heal instead of feeling guilty for not being able to give 100% all day, every day. I hope that helps. Sending you virtual hugs because this is definitely not for the faint of heart. 

Sept 2013 - Jan 2023 - Lexapro 10mg

Jan 2023 - Apr 2023 - self tapered off Lexapro (I now know that was too fast)

Nov 8, 2023 - reinstated Lexapro 10mg (prior to knowing about protracted withdrawals, hypersensitivity & kindling)

Nov 9-11, 2023 - decreased to Lexapro 5mg due to adverse reaction 

Nov 12, 2023 - stopped Lexapro due to adverse reaction

Dec 5-10, 2023 - reinstated Lexapro 2.5mg (prior to knowing about protracted withdrawals, hypersensitivity & kindling)

Dec 11, 2023 - stopped Lexapro due to adverse reaction

Hello @agtaylor! I’m sorry you typed up two responses, I just saw this post now after having commented on yours! Thank you so much for reaching out and sharing your experience. I hate that there’s others out there that are suffering but hearing what others are going through does make me feel less alone. About the vestibular rehab, my doctor today told me it takes 4-6 weeks for it to start working and it can sometimes get worse before getting better so I’m hopeful it may help you still. Being a parent can make this so much more difficult but I’ve been trying to use my child as motivation to push through. Sending you lots of positive thoughts and hugs! 

2012-2013 - 5mg Lexapro

2015-2016 - 5mg Lexapro

On 5/13/2024 at 9:57 PM, Celeste1990 said:

do you think it’s possible I could be experiencing withdrawals rather than (or in addition to) an adverse reaction?

Apologies for the delay in response but part of what you may be experiencing is related to  Hypersensitivity and Kindling which, in your case, should be treated like an adverse reaction so I don't think reintroducing the drug would be beneficial.

Pre- October 2022: Wellbutrin, Escitalopram, CitalopramSertraline, Adderall IR, Vyvanse, Propranolol, Buspar, Ativan, and Latuda

Oct 13, 2022 - Oct 24, 2022 and Oct 31, 2022 - Present: Zyprexa (2.5 mg). Jan 14, 2023 -> Began transition to liquid suspension. Jan 29, 2023 = 2.375mg -> Feb 12, 2023 = 2.25mg -> Feb 27, 2023 = 2.14mg -> Mar 12, 2023 = 2.025mg -> Mar 27, 2023 = 1.93mg -> Apr 10, 2023 = 1.82mg -> Apr 23, 2023 = 1.74mg -> May 7, 2023 = 1.64mg -> May 21, 2023 = 1.56mg -> June 4, 2023 = 1.48mg -> June 19, 2023 = 1.4mg -> July 2, 2023 = 1.33mg -> July 16, 2023 = 1.26mg -> July 31, 2023 = 1.2mg -> Aug 13, 2023 = 1.14mg -> Aug 27, 2023 = 1.08mg -> Sep 13, 2023 = 1.02mg -> Jan 22, 2024 = 0.97mg -> Feb 4, 2024 = 0.92mg -> Feb 19, 2024 = 0.87mg -> Mar 3, 2024 = 0.83mg -> Mar 17, 2024 = 0.78mg -> Mar 31, 2024 = 0.74mg -> Apr 14, 2024 = 0.7mg -> Apr 28, 2024 = 0.66mg -> May 12, 2024 = 0.63mg

Oct 14, 2022 - Present: Prozac (40mg) upped from 20mg on Nov 1, 2022.

Oct 31, 2022 - Present: Gabapentin (300mg 3x day) -> May 3, 2023 = 300mg 2x day -> Oct 1, 2023 = 570mg -> Oct 15, 2023 = 540mg -> Oct 29, 2023 = 510mg -> Nov 13, 2023 = 484mg -> Nov 27, 2023 = 460mg -> Dec 9, 2023 = 436mg -> Dec 24, 2023 = 414mg -> Jan 7, 2024 = 400mg

12 hours ago, Celeste1990 said:

About the vestibular rehab, my doctor today told me it takes 4-6 weeks for it to start working and it can sometimes get worse before getting better so I’m hopeful it may help you still.

That’s good to know. I’m praying every day that something will bring me permanent relief. 

Sept 2013 - Jan 2023 - Lexapro 10mg

Jan 2023 - Apr 2023 - self tapered off Lexapro (I now know that was too fast)

Nov 8, 2023 - reinstated Lexapro 10mg (prior to knowing about protracted withdrawals, hypersensitivity & kindling)

Nov 9-11, 2023 - decreased to Lexapro 5mg due to adverse reaction 

Nov 12, 2023 - stopped Lexapro due to adverse reaction

Dec 5-10, 2023 - reinstated Lexapro 2.5mg (prior to knowing about protracted withdrawals, hypersensitivity & kindling)

Dec 11, 2023 - stopped Lexapro due to adverse reaction

53 minutes ago, FireflyFyte said:

Apologies for the delay in response but part of what you may be experiencing is related to  Hypersensitivity and Kindling which, in your case, should be treated like an adverse reaction so I don't think reintroducing the drug would be beneficial.

No apologies needed, I appreciate your reply. I suspected that was the case. Thanks again! 

2012-2013 - 5mg Lexapro

2015-2016 - 5mg Lexapro

One thing I’ve really been struggling with (besides the physical symptoms) is getting caught up in how avoidable this all was. It would be easier I think if I had an unpreventable illness but my mind keeps going back to when I took the Lexapro and I wish I could undo it. I know it’s not possible but it almost feels like I can go back in time if I think about it enough. And I dwell on “why didn’t I break the pill in half” or “why didn’t I just get a prescription for Xanax instead for my short term anxiety” or “what if I hadn’t been able to get in for an appointment to get the Lexapro prescription.” It’s like there are two realities, the one I’m in and the one I could be in and I want the other one so bad that it physically hurts. 

In my positive moments, I feel like this could be a positive experience long term and that if (when 🙏) this is behind me I’ll have a newfound appreciation for the small things in life. Like date nights with my husband, zoo trips with my son, cocktails with my girlfriends. And that I’ll never take anything for granted again. But other times it just really really hurts 💔

2012-2013 - 5mg Lexapro

2015-2016 - 5mg Lexapro

Someone please help! I’m freaking out. I had an appointment yesterday with vestibular rehab and they did a bunch of tests and told me my dizziness is “central” basically meaning it points to an issue with my brain. I also had a brain MRI and I have white matter lesions which can be normal for people with migraines but I’ve never had migraines before. I’m convinced the Lexapro did brain damage and I’m losing my mind thinking I’m going to be stuck like this forever. This is the most suicidal I’ve felt this entire time. It just feels so hopeless. 

2012-2013 - 5mg Lexapro

2015-2016 - 5mg Lexapro

• Mentor
5 minutes ago, Celeste1990 said:

Lexapro did brain damage

That's not true. We haven't yet seen any case of a person dying or becoming permanently damaged from incorrect tapers or adverse reactions. Dizziness is a common symptom, and there's no reason to panic yet. Your limbic brain is very sensitive; please don't alarm it more than necessary. Rationally speaking, you're safe, and the intensity of your feelings does not translate into the severity of your condition.

5 minutes ago, Celeste1990 said:

I’m going to be stuck like this forever.

Quite reasonably, when we're extremely agitated and our fight-or-flight response is activated, our thoughts can become very fatalistic. This is simply a result of excess adrenaline release by your brain. Your thoughts are interpreted in this manner because of the strong signal your brain is receiving. However, a mood can change drastically, right? Imagine a healthy person being surprised by some news. It can easily make or break their day. Now, what you're experiencing is an extreme and chemically induced version of this, but all you need to do is recognize it as anxiety. Work on recomposing yourself and remind yourself that people with long, severe symptoms after cold turkey withdrawal, immediate adverse reactions, kindlings, even in their 60s and 80s, have recovered with enough time and proper self-care. You will be able to achieve recovery too. For now, to bring yourself some relief, please do your best to shift your focus elsewhere and give yourself a break from this stress. Trust that your body knows what it's doing.

22.10.2020 sertraline (50 upped to 100mg for two months) and pregabalin (150mg for half year)

2021 mirtazapine (30mg for some months), amitryptyline (cascading dose but doctor took me off it before reaching five tablets), olanzapine (5mg), lithium (this one I reacted to terribly as well, maybe due to my Hashimoto disease)

2022 duloxetine, reboxetine, venlafaxine (all unsuccessful attemps stopped after one day with no side effects following days, only reboxetine pushed through with one box)

2023 mainly bupropion (150mg stopped after few weeks, 300mg stopped after few another weeks, 150mg stopped after few months) until IAR, buspirone (5mg) tried for 3 days 

autumn 2023 - 150mg bupropion daily,

12.12.2023 - bupropion stopped,

16.12.2023 - 100mg sertraline,

18.12.2023 - 150mg bupropion,

19, 20 & 21.12.2023 - 150mg bupropion & 5mg buspirone,

Nothing ever since 21.12.2023.

• Mentor

@Celeste1990

Don't expect the worst. Most medical problems and abnormalities resolve themselves. What did the doctors tell you what you should do? Do they plan to examine you further?

Earlier drug history:

Paroxetine  2001 until 2003, quit cold turkey, don't remember dose; Venlafaxine 2005 until Dez. 2023, mostly 75mg xr per day, for about 4 years 37.5mg xr; quite a lot of Antihistamines because of allergy; there were other drugs that I don't remember all, but nothing what I consistently took over a longer period of time, for example Lorazepam 0.5mg prn.

Recent developments:

Dez 2023 - 03/13/2024 quitting Venlafaxine 75mg (skipping doses); 04/07/2024 reinstating Venlafaxine 12,5mg; 04/17/2024 Venlafaxine 25mg; 4/29/24 until 5/4/24 Trimipramine, 5mg going down to zero over 5 days

Drugs right now:

Venlafaxine 25mg; supplements: 500mg magnesium, 100mg aspirin and melatonin spray

I am no medical expert. I am dependent on Venlafaxine, trying to find and give peer support in this community and simply giving my opinion. Double check any information before you take action, for example with your doctor.

First they sell addictive drugs as harmless and then they leave you alone dosing fractions of a mg correctly or plunging into the abyss.

@BaccatePlayer That’s very reassuring, thank you so much ❤️ 

2012-2013 - 5mg Lexapro

2015-2016 - 5mg Lexapro

7 minutes ago, Alfred1977 said:

What did the doctors tell you what you should do? Do they plan to examine you further?

Hi @Alfred1977 I have another vestibular rehab therapy appointment and based on that I’ll either have further testing or continue with exercises to hopefully retrain my brain. 

2012-2013 - 5mg Lexapro

2015-2016 - 5mg Lexapro

• Mentor

@Celeste1990

1 minute ago, Celeste1990 said:

Hi @Alfred1977 I have another vestibular rehab therapy appointment and based on that I’ll either have further testing or continue with exercises to hopefully retrain my brain. 

Did the vestibular rehab therapist order the MRI? If so, what did he tell you about the result? Did he tell you more specifically on what the need for further testing should depend?

I think testing is generally a good thing. I know it doesn't help with anxiety while doing it and it's scary. But in the end you know more and should feel better. Unfortunately some doctors are terrible at communicating. I had even once or twice doctors that tried to scare me. Vestibular rehab sounds exotic to me and maybe he is happy about every customer. I might be wrong about this and give him a chance. But ask him to communicate very clearly and thoroughly with you and don't let him get away with evasive or suggestive answers. 

Get a second and independent opinion if possible.

Earlier drug history:

Paroxetine  2001 until 2003, quit cold turkey, don't remember dose; Venlafaxine 2005 until Dez. 2023, mostly 75mg xr per day, for about 4 years 37.5mg xr; quite a lot of Antihistamines because of allergy; there were other drugs that I don't remember all, but nothing what I consistently took over a longer period of time, for example Lorazepam 0.5mg prn.

Recent developments:

Dez 2023 - 03/13/2024 quitting Venlafaxine 75mg (skipping doses); 04/07/2024 reinstating Venlafaxine 12,5mg; 04/17/2024 Venlafaxine 25mg; 4/29/24 until 5/4/24 Trimipramine, 5mg going down to zero over 5 days

Drugs right now:

Venlafaxine 25mg; supplements: 500mg magnesium, 100mg aspirin and melatonin spray

I am no medical expert. I am dependent on Venlafaxine, trying to find and give peer support in this community and simply giving my opinion. Double check any information before you take action, for example with your doctor.

First they sell addictive drugs as harmless and then they leave you alone dosing fractions of a mg correctly or plunging into the abyss.

6 minutes ago, Alfred1977 said:

Did the vestibular rehab therapist order the MRI? If so, what did he tell you about the result? Did he tell you more specifically on what the need for further testing should depend?

No, the MRI was ordered by one (of the three) neurologists I’ve seen. They told me the lesions are “non-specific” basically that there’s no way of knowing if the Lexapro caused them or if they’re contributing to my symptoms. They said it’s possible but there’s really no test to confirm it. I’m honestly not sure what further tests I could have, and I would have to go back to the neurologist I believe. Sorry my answers are so vague 🙁 this is one of the things I’m struggling with with the doctors.

2012-2013 - 5mg Lexapro

2015-2016 - 5mg Lexapro

@Celeste1990 Hi, the response from BaccatePlayer is spot on. I watched a video on Heads Up where Doctor Vincent Martin, specialist in headache/migraine care, made the point that white matter lesions can come and go. 99.9% of the time they are not related to any serious disease and there is no evidence that they are related to dementia or memory loss. He mentioned that the fight of flight response could be messed up. His emphasis was keeping a check on high or low blood pressure as other causes. The link is below. I was interested because I get migraines. Hope you feel better soon.😊

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=paxmwWpz-TQ

2008 10 mg Citalopram, 2.5 mg bendroflumethiazide

2021 reduced Citalopram over three years,2023 5.2 mg Citalopram for approx. 1 year

Sept 2023 taken off Citalopram and bendroflumethiazide , put on Amitriptyline 10 mg and Ramipril 2.5 mg 

October 2023 taken off Amitriptyline and Ramipril put on Propranolol 10 mg

October 2023 put on Losartan 25 mg 

November 2023 taken off Losartan on Propranolol 10 mg 

December 2023 now on 2.5 mg bendroflumethiazide + Citalopram 0.5 mg.

February 2024, taken off bendroflumethiazide, on bisoprolol 1.25 mg

February 2024, taken off bisoprolol, on ramipril 1.25 mg + 0.5mg Citalopram, stopped ramipril.

Thank you so much @Sonia009 ❤️ I’m starting to feel a little calmer 

2012-2013 - 5mg Lexapro

2015-2016 - 5mg Lexapro

• Mentor
1 hour ago, Celeste1990 said:

No, the MRI was ordered by one (of the three) neurologists I’ve seen. They told me the lesions are “non-specific” basically that there’s no way of knowing if the Lexapro caused them or if they’re contributing to my symptoms. They said it’s possible but there’s really no test to confirm it. I’m honestly not sure what further tests I could have, and I would have to go back to the neurologist I believe. Sorry my answers are so vague 🙁 this is one of the things I’m struggling with with the doctors.

Yes it is hard to deal with doctors, especially if you are not feeling well. But I think if he ordered the MRI, he is also supposed to have told you what you should do next.

If the lesions are in 99,9% of cases not serious as Sonia said and your doctor concealed this, then he scared you. Did he also send you to the vestibular rehab?

It doesn't really matter if the lesions were caused by the Lexapro. It only mattered if they were a problem that you need to take care of. And he should have been the person telling you.

Earlier drug history:

Recent developments:

Drugs right now: