gummy808s: I don’t feel like myself.

Posted (edited)

Hello everyone about 7 weeks ago I started taking prozac (20mg) which isn’t a very long time but immediately I started noticing that my emotions felt dull and I wasn’t reacting to things that made me happy nearly as much. So I started went down to 10mg after 4 weeks of the previous dose and started feeling better. Up until about 4 days ago where out of nowhere I started having extreme suicidal thoughts and felt like my enjoyment levels of anything were so low, I started having daily panic attacks because of it I had to go to the ER for one of them because i couldn’t walk I was so freaked out, but as of last night it feels like it’s just gotten worse I feel absolutely nothing and I want to be myself again I’m scared I don’t want it to be like this forever. I’ve started tapering off the medication even further but I’m not sure what else to do 

Edited by Emonda
Name to title

January 2023-October 2023 Sertraline 50mgs stopped cold Turkey no side effects

Late March-2024-Current Prozac for anxiety (20mgs) after 4 weeks went down to (10mgs) 

10-8mgs (stayed there for 3 weeks)

8-7 stayed for 2 weeks

Went down to 6 from 7 but reinstated back to 7 after 5 days

Late March 2024-Propranolol for Anxiety/Panic Attack (I don’t take this medication daily only if I feel symptoms coming on) I now take a 60mg extended release daily as of June 11th 2024 (I have stopped taking propranolol all together as of June 14th 2024

5mg buspirone 3 times a day as of June 11th 2024 (I have stopped taking this as of June 14th 2024)

I took ADHD medication when I was younger in 2016 but I haven’t been back on anything like that.

• Emonda changed the title to gummy808s: I don’t feel like myself.
  • Administrator

Welcome @gummy808s,

So the moderators can best help you, please complete your drug signature by following these instructions. Adding a signature ensures your drug history appears at the bottom of every post, making it more efficient for those trying to assist. 

This link should go directly to your own signature: Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

46 minutes ago, gummy808s said:

about 7 weeks ago I started taking prozac (20mg) which isn’t a very long time

It takes ~4 weeks to become dependent on this medication.

46 minutes ago, gummy808s said:

immediately I started noticing that my emotions felt dull and I wasn’t reacting to things that made me happy nearly as much.

Emotional numbing is a common side effect.

47 minutes ago, gummy808s said:

So I started went down to 10mg after 4 weeks of the previous dose and started feeling better.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage? The reductions should get smaller and smaller each month, for example: 10mg, 9mg, 8.1mg, 7.3mg etc. Importantly, if you develop unpleasant side effects from tapering, halt the taper, give yourself time to settle, and once stable, taper more slowly and by smaller amounts moving forward.

You've tapered much faster than the 10% approach, and WD symptoms are the likely outcome. Sometimes there is a delay between the reduction in dose and the onset of WD symptoms: Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF). The things you mention below sound like typical WD symptoms.

48 minutes ago, gummy808s said:

out of nowhere I started having extreme suicidal thoughts and felt like my enjoyment levels of anything were so low, I started having daily panic attacks

49 minutes ago, gummy808s said:

I’ve started tapering off the medication even further but I’m not sure what else to do 

When you experience WD symptoms, it's best to make no further reductions until things stabilise.

Sometimes, a slight increase in the dose you're taking can bring relief. You'd need to provide your drug signature for someone to comment further on this.

In the interim, here are a few other helpful links:

Windows and waves pattern of stabilization

Emotional Spirals

Non-drug coping strategies

We don't suggest many supplements, but two that many of us find helpful are magnesium and omega-3 fish oil. Here are the links for info about those. Add one at a time and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 

Magnesium

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Avoid alcohol. 

Don't change the manufacturer of your AD.

This is your own Introduction topic.  Each member has only ONE Introduction topic.  Your own Introduction topic is the best place to ask questions and the place to journal your progress.  This keeps your history in one place and means you do not have to repeat your story. 

Once again, welcome to S.A.

Emonda

Please don't send me PMs. I am not a doctor. My comments are based on my personal experience with ADs and tapering. Consult your doctor about your own medical decisions.

Start of taper: Jan ’22 Vortioxetine 15mg, 

End year 1: 4.5mg, 

End year 2: 2.38mg, 

Year 3: 19 Jan 2.33mg, 26 Jan 2.28mg, 2 Feb 2.24mg, 8 Feb 2.19mg, 29 Feb 2.15mg, 7 Mar 2.10mg, 14 Mar 2.06mg, 21 Mar 1.99mg, 10 Apr 1.95mg, 17 Apr 1.91mg, 24 Apr 1.87mg, 1 May 1.83mg, 23 May 1.80mg, 30 May 1.76mg, 8 Jun 1.72mg, 13 Jun 1.66mg, 3 Jul 1.62mg, 10 Jul 1.58mg, 17 Jul 1.54mg

4 hours ago, Emonda said:

Welcome @gummy808s,

So the moderators can best help you, please complete your drug signature by following these instructions. Adding a signature ensures your drug history appears at the bottom of every post, making it more efficient for those trying to assist. 

This link should go directly to your own signature: Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

It takes ~4 weeks to become dependent on this medication.

Emotional numbing is a common side effect.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage? The reductions should get smaller and smaller each month, for example: 10mg, 9mg, 8.1mg, 7.3mg etc. Importantly, if you develop unpleasant side effects from tapering, halt the taper, give yourself time to settle, and once stable, taper more slowly and by smaller amounts moving forward.

You've tapered much faster than the 10% approach, and WD symptoms are the likely outcome. Sometimes there is a delay between the reduction in dose and the onset of WD symptoms: Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF). The things you mention below sound like typical WD symptoms.

When you experience WD symptoms, it's best to make no further reductions until things stabilise.

Sometimes, a slight increase in the dose you're taking can bring relief. You'd need to provide your drug signature for someone to comment further on this.

In the interim, here are a few other helpful links:

Windows and waves pattern of stabilization

Emotional Spirals

Non-drug coping strategies

We don't suggest many supplements, but two that many of us find helpful are magnesium and omega-3 fish oil. Here are the links for info about those. Add one at a time and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 

Magnesium

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Avoid alcohol. 

Don't change the manufacturer of your AD.

This is your own Introduction topic.  Each member has only ONE Introduction topic.  Your own Introduction topic is the best place to ask questions and the place to journal your progress.  This keeps your history in one place and means you do not have to repeat your story. 

Once again, welcome to S.A.

Emonda

thank you emonda, the main thing I’ve been worried about was how sudden these symptoms came on, side effects can appear that late from a withdrawal? And another thing 2 nights ago I went down to 5mgs from my usually 10mgs should I try to go back to 10mgs or even slightly higher? and how long can these symptoms last? it’s really scary. I’ll try to look more around the website for these answers.

Late March-2024-Current Prozac for anxiety (20mgs) after 4 weeks went down to (10mgs) 

8-7 stayed for 2 weeks

Late March 2024-Propranolol for Anxiety/Panic Attack (I don’t take this medication daily only if I feel symptoms coming on) I now take a 60mg extended release daily as of June 11th 2024 (I have stopped taking propranolol all together as of June 14th 2024

5mg buspirone 3 times a day as of June 11th 2024 (I have stopped taking this as of June 14th 2024)

I took ADHD medication when I was younger in 2016 but I haven’t been back on anything like that.

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, gummy808s said:

how sudden these symptoms came on,

Sometimes you can notice WD symptoms from missing one or two doses.

11 minutes ago, gummy808s said:

side effects can appear that late from a withdrawal?

With Prozac, WD symptoms certainly can be delayed by weeks.

12 minutes ago, gummy808s said:

2 nights ago I went down to 5mgs from my usually 10mgs should I try to go back to 10mgs or even slightly higher?

If it were only two days ago, personally, I'd go back to 10mg and hold for stability, then reassess in two weeks.

13 minutes ago, gummy808s said:

how long can these symptoms last?

Easily months, some of us experience them for years. Hence, I'd revert to 10mg and hold for stability.

Please don't send me PMs. I am not a doctor. My comments are based on my personal experience with ADs and tapering. Consult your doctor about your own medical decisions.

Start of taper: Jan ’22 Vortioxetine 15mg, 

End year 1: 4.5mg, 

End year 2: 2.38mg, 

Year 3: 19 Jan 2.33mg, 26 Jan 2.28mg, 2 Feb 2.24mg, 8 Feb 2.19mg, 29 Feb 2.15mg, 7 Mar 2.10mg, 14 Mar 2.06mg, 21 Mar 1.99mg, 10 Apr 1.95mg, 17 Apr 1.91mg, 24 Apr 1.87mg, 1 May 1.83mg, 23 May 1.80mg, 30 May 1.76mg, 8 Jun 1.72mg, 13 Jun 1.66mg, 3 Jul 1.62mg, 10 Jul 1.58mg, 17 Jul 1.54mg

1 hour ago, Emonda said:

Sometimes you can notice WD symptoms from missing one or two doses.

With Prozac, WD symptoms certainly can be delayed by weeks.

If it were only two days ago, personally, I'd go back to 10mg and hold for stability, then reassess in two weeks.

Easily months, some of us experience them for years. Hence, I'd revert to 10mg and hold for stability.

So about 3 days ago I took 20mgs because I was so freaked out. Then the next day I went back to my normal at the time 10mgs then the next day I went down to 5 and I just took another 5mgs I can take 5 more if it’s a good idea but do you think going back to 10 will be to much switching and cause something bad? I never switch them this fast it’s just been crazy this past couple days. 

8-7 stayed for 2 weeks

• Mentor

@gummy808s

Prozac has a very long half life. When you change your dose it takes 3-4 weeks for the drug level in your body to reach a stable state. This means that you will never experience the full effect of a dose change immediately and instead have to wait for a couple of weeks.

If you went down to 10mg about 3 weeks ago and now experience symptoms, it is not implausible that those symptoms were caused by this reduction.

On the one hand this delay makes Prozac more difficult to handle, it's always more difficult to assess what a change in dose is doing with you. On the other hand Prozac is thus somewhat more forgiving when you jump around with doses. If you are sensitive to this kind of medication (like a lot people here are) then stability is key and you do not want to jump around with doses.

Earlier drug history:

Paroxetine  2001 until 2003, quit cold turkey, don't remember dose; Venlafaxine 2005 until Dez. 2023, mostly 75mg xr per day, for about 4 years 37.5mg xr; quite a lot of Antihistamines because of allergy; there were other drugs that I don't remember all, but nothing what I consistently took over a longer period of time, for example Lorazepam 0.5mg prn.

Recent developments:

Dez 2023 - 03/13/2024 quitting Venlafaxine 75mg (skipping doses); 04/07/2024 reinstating Venlafaxine 12,5mg; 04/17/2024 Venlafaxine 25mg; 4/29/24 until 5/4/24 Trimipramine, 5mg going down to zero over 5 days

Drugs right now:

Venlafaxine 25mg; supplements: 500mg magnesium, 100mg aspirin and melatonin spray

I am no medical expert. I am dependent on Venlafaxine, trying to find and give peer support in this community and simply giving my opinion. Double check any information before you take action, for example with your doctor.

First they sell addictive drugs as harmless and then they leave you alone dosing fractions of a mg correctly or plunging into the abyss.

5 minutes ago, Alfred1977 said:

@gummy808s

Prozac has a very long half life. When you change your dose it takes 3-4 weeks for the drug level in your body to reach a stable state. This means that you will never experience the full effect of a dose change immediately and instead have to wait for a couple of weeks.

If you went down to 10mg about 3 weeks ago and now experience symptoms, it is not implausible that those symptoms were caused by this reduction.

On the one hand this delay makes Prozac more difficult to handle, it's always more difficult to assess what a change in dose is doing with you. On the other hand Prozac is thus somewhat more forgiving when you jump around with doses. If you are sensitive to this kind of medication (like a lot people here are) then stability is key and you do not want to jump around with doses.

thank you for the reply, I’ve decided to end up staying on 10mgs for probably around 2 more weaks to hopefully stabilize and I’ll probably start tapering from there. I didn’t know a 10mg jump would be such a big deal with a medication like this if only I knew beforehand

8-7 stayed for 2 weeks

I feel like after I have anxiety my apathy gets worse. Sometimes I feel as if my emotions slightly are coming back or just getting better but then I get triggered by something and get super nervous and they completely go away afterward once again. Can panic attacks and anxiety cause this as well?

8-7 stayed for 2 weeks

• Mentor

If the reduction was/is giving you withdrawal, you don't want to reduce further than 10mg too soon. Wait until you fully stabilize. If you decide to continue your taper then, do it much more slowly. You are possibly very sensitive to this kind of medication. And remember that you cannot fully asses the impact of a dose reduction until 4 weeks later.

Here is a thread about tapering Prozac:

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/forums/topic/759-tips-for-tapering-off-prozac-fluoxetine/#comment-6498

Earlier drug history:

Paroxetine  2001 until 2003, quit cold turkey, don't remember dose; Venlafaxine 2005 until Dez. 2023, mostly 75mg xr per day, for about 4 years 37.5mg xr; quite a lot of Antihistamines because of allergy; there were other drugs that I don't remember all, but nothing what I consistently took over a longer period of time, for example Lorazepam 0.5mg prn.

Recent developments:

Dez 2023 - 03/13/2024 quitting Venlafaxine 75mg (skipping doses); 04/07/2024 reinstating Venlafaxine 12,5mg; 04/17/2024 Venlafaxine 25mg; 4/29/24 until 5/4/24 Trimipramine, 5mg going down to zero over 5 days

Drugs right now:

Venlafaxine 25mg; supplements: 500mg magnesium, 100mg aspirin and melatonin spray

I am no medical expert. I am dependent on Venlafaxine, trying to find and give peer support in this community and simply giving my opinion. Double check any information before you take action, for example with your doctor.

First they sell addictive drugs as harmless and then they leave you alone dosing fractions of a mg correctly or plunging into the abyss.

• Mentor
10 minutes ago, gummy808s said:

I feel like after I have anxiety my apathy gets worse. Sometimes I feel as if my emotions slightly are coming back or just getting better but then I get triggered by something and get super nervous and they completely go away afterward once again. Can panic attacks and anxiety cause this as well?

Don't know but anxiety is a pretty common symptom that can be caused by increasing or reducing your AD too quickly, I guess. (Emotional) numbness is probably rather a common side effect of ADs itself, but it's difficult to make general statements like this. You have to observe yourself and learn how you react. This takes time.

Earlier drug history:

Recent developments:

Drugs right now:

• Mentor

Hi @gummy808s and welcome to SA!  I got your message and will reply here so we can keep all your info in one place.  I know things are a bit scary and uncertain for you right now...I'm sorry you're going through this.  You've been given some great advice so far, and I agree wholeheartedly with what's been advised thus far.   

What your nervous system needs is stability, so staying at the 10 mg until you've stabilized is important.  Yeah, it's crazy how powerful these dreaded drugs are!  They don't like to be messed with; that's why any changes must be done with great care.  Keeping things SLOW, SIMPLE, and STABLE is key!  Be patient with yourself and the withdrawal process...too many quick changes can work against us. 

As long as you follow the invaluable guidance from this site, I know you're going to be okay in the end.  You'll recover and heal up but it just takes time.  You're very young and resilient, so hang in there and things will work themselves out.  

It sounds like you're doing a great job with reading around the site and gathering as much information as you can.  Keep it up!  Knowledge is power and can really help us to keep going.  

Thanks for reaching out to me, and I'll be here to support and help you the best I can!

Catina ❤️

Disclaimer:  This is not professional medical advice but is based on personal experience only.

1994 - 2017:  Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Seroquel, Buspar, Lorazepam, Xanax, Ambien

2005-present:  Trazodone 50 mg 

2017:  Effexor XR 37.5 >> 75 mg 

2020 (March):  Began 10% monthly taper of Effexor XR (got down to 12 mg)

2021 (September):  Completely crashed.  Went back up to 37.5 mg but I kindled myself

2024 (Avg. bead count per capsule is 111):  1/1:  -6  |  2/1:  -11  |  3/1:  -16  |   4/1:  -18  |   5/1:  -21   |   6/1  -25

Reasons for starting psych meds:  PMDD/Depression, Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Other medications:  Levothyroxine 75 mcg

Supplements:  Dr. Berg's Electrolyte Powder on occasion   

Never give up  Holding On with Patience & Endurance

28 minutes ago, Catina7 said:

Hi @gummy808s and welcome to SA!  I got your message and will reply here so we can keep all your info in one place.  I know things are a bit scary and uncertain for you right now...I'm sorry you're going through this.  You've been given some great advice so far, and I agree wholeheartedly with what's been advised thus far.   

What your nervous system needs is stability, so staying at the 10 mg until you've stabilized is important.  Yeah, it's crazy how powerful these dreaded drugs are!  They don't like to be messed with; that's why any changes must be done with great care.  Keeping things SLOW, SIMPLE, and STABLE is key!  Be patient with yourself and the withdrawal process...too many quick changes can work against us. 

As long as you follow the invaluable guidance from this site, I know you're going to be okay in the end.  You'll recover and heal up but it just takes time.  You're very young and resilient, so hang in there and things will work themselves out.  

It sounds like you're doing a great job with reading around the site and gathering as much information as you can.  Keep it up!  Knowledge is power and can really help us to keep going.  

Thanks for reaching out to me, and I'll be here to support and help you the best I can!

Catina ❤️

thank you so much for the response, im hoping all goes well, and same for everyone on this site I’ve never felt anything like this before so it was making me feel hopeless even thought it hasn’t been for very long. But seeing the recovery stories and advice is really helping me and everyone is so nice on here!!! 

8-7 stayed for 2 weeks

6 hours ago, gummy808s said:

I’ve decided to end up staying on 10mgs for probably around 2 more weaks to hopefully stabilize

@gummy808s welcome to SA. It probably will take longer than 2 weeks for stability. Since your drop from 20mg to 10 mg usually would take 6 months at a reduction of 10%, it was quite fast and hard on your central nervous system. Thankfully you are young and we're not on that dose for long. 

It is good to list your symptoms and rate them daily from 1-10. It helps to see improvement and if any patterns develop. 

You may experience days or time periods worse than others. Those are referred to as waves and windows. I found the following video helpful in understanding the healing process:

Feel free to ask any questions as well. Since you have been sensitized because of the quick drop, be aware of taking anything that stimulates your CNS. MSG, nitrates in processed meats, alcohol, nicotine, CBD oil, weed and caffeine in coffee, black or green tea and chocolate can be problematic.

A free online CBT course can help with anxiety/panic. Remember it is just adrenaline and will not hurt you. You are safe, your body is just over reacting. 

Be kind to yourself and accepting of the process. 👍

2016-twice weekly for a couple months-oxazepam 10 mg sleep/ 2020-22-once a week 3.75-7.5 mg for sleep/20 yr+ Paroxetine/ Dec2018-May 2022 20 mg/ May 2022 30mg/2022.07.28-2022.08.24 30mg to 0mg/ August 24-29 2022 10mg Prozac/2022.11.28-2022.12.04- 5mg Paroxetine/Dec 5&6/22 10mg Paroxetine/ Dec 8&9/22 10mg Prozac/ 2022.12.07 to 2023.07.01 5mg Paroxetine

TAPER 23.07.02-58mgpw/4.9mgai/ 23.07.21-4.8 mg/23.07.28-4.73 mg/23.08.04-4.65 mg/21.09.23-4.58 mg/27.10.23-4.56 mg/5.12.23-4.54 mg/2.1.24-4.52 mg/9.1.24-4.51 mg/17.1.24-4.49 mg/26.1.24-4.47 mg/6.2.24-4.46 mg/19.2.24-4.44mg /4.4.24-4.43mg/28.4.24-4.4mg/5.5.24-4.39 mg/19.5.24-4.36 mg/2.7.24-4.34 mg/9.7.24-4.32 mg

8am-probiotics/9am-paroxetine, 200mg mag bisglycinate/ 1000mg Vitamin D/5pm-75 mg DGL/200mg calcium citrate/0.25 mcg melatonin nightly

"... your strength will be in keeping calm..."-Isaiah 30:15

I am not a medical professional just your peer. The suggestions I give are based on personal experience and/or the well documented experience of others.

I’m really really struggling with the feeling of anhedonia and emotional blunting right now, i feel like myself is lost or that I’m just pretending to be myself now. It’s like it doesn’t come natural, im sure some of it is me thinking it and making me do this to myself but it feels out of my control a lot. I don’t wanna have to remember what i think i would say in a situation or how I would act i want to just act that way if that makes sense i feel like a blank canvas just mimmicking what i think was my old self. I just want it back so bad and it feels so strange because I haven’t even felt this way a long time but I guess I’m just deeply impatient but I’m trying.  

8-7 stayed for 2 weeks

9 hours ago, LostInCanada said:

@gummy808s welcome to SA. It probably will take longer than 2 weeks for stability. Since your drop from 20mg to 10 mg usually would take 6 months at a reduction of 10%, it was quite fast and hard on your central nervous system. Thankfully you are young and we're not on that dose for long. 

It is good to list your symptoms and rate them daily from 1-10. It helps to see improvement and if any patterns develop. 

You may experience days or time periods worse than others. Those are referred to as waves and windows. I found the following video helpful in understanding the healing process:

Feel free to ask any questions as well. Since you have been sensitized because of the quick drop, be aware of taking anything that stimulates your CNS. MSG, nitrates in processed meats, alcohol, nicotine, CBD oil, weed and caffeine in coffee, black or green tea and chocolate can be problematic.

A free online CBT course can help with anxiety/panic. Remember it is just adrenaline and will not hurt you. You are safe, your body is just over reacting. 

Be kind to yourself and accepting of the process. 👍

thank you so much for this. 

8-7 stayed for 2 weeks

55 minutes ago, gummy808s said:

i feel like myself is lost or that I’m just pretending to be myself now. It’s like it doesn’t come natural,

This is very common in dealing with these drugs. It is like you have to relearn how you used to be. I couldn’t laugh or even smile for many months. Then I read about someone who forced a smile every time they saw their reflection. I started doing that and it helped. Our bodies do heal and I once again can smile and laugh.

You will regain yourself in time even if you are just going through the motions right now. Definitely be patient. Don’t make any rash decisions. Following the advice on here will benefit you. There is so much experience here. 👍

2016-twice weekly for a couple months-oxazepam 10 mg sleep/ 2020-22-once a week 3.75-7.5 mg for sleep/20 yr+ Paroxetine/ Dec2018-May 2022 20 mg/ May 2022 30mg/2022.07.28-2022.08.24 30mg to 0mg/ August 24-29 2022 10mg Prozac/2022.11.28-2022.12.04- 5mg Paroxetine/Dec 5&6/22 10mg Paroxetine/ Dec 8&9/22 10mg Prozac/ 2022.12.07 to 2023.07.01 5mg Paroxetine

TAPER 23.07.02-58mgpw/4.9mgai/ 23.07.21-4.8 mg/23.07.28-4.73 mg/23.08.04-4.65 mg/21.09.23-4.58 mg/27.10.23-4.56 mg/5.12.23-4.54 mg/2.1.24-4.52 mg/9.1.24-4.51 mg/17.1.24-4.49 mg/26.1.24-4.47 mg/6.2.24-4.46 mg/19.2.24-4.44mg /4.4.24-4.43mg/28.4.24-4.4mg/5.5.24-4.39 mg/19.5.24-4.36 mg/2.7.24-4.34 mg/9.7.24-4.32 mg

8am-probiotics/9am-paroxetine, 200mg mag bisglycinate/ 1000mg Vitamin D/5pm-75 mg DGL/200mg calcium citrate/0.25 mcg melatonin nightly

I am not a medical professional just your peer. The suggestions I give are based on personal experience and/or the well documented experience of others.

20 minutes ago, LostInCanada said:

This is very common in dealing with these drugs. It is like you have to relearn how you used to be. I couldn’t laugh or even smile for many months. Then I read about someone who forced a smile every time they saw their reflection. I started doing that and it helped. Our bodies do heal and I once again can smile and laugh.

You will regain yourself in time even if you are just going through the motions right now. Definitely be patient. Don’t make any rash decisions. Following the advice on here will benefit you. There is so much experience here. 👍

I know and I’m trying very hard I can barely force myself to eat or drink anything it just feels like it’s getting worse day by day. But the recovery stories give me hope.

8-7 stayed for 2 weeks

I would really appreciate if someone could give me some advice. So I’ve noticed that since my symptoms started getting very bad one of my pupils would dilate. And I’ve looked up what could be the cause and I don’t think it’s from any head trauma or anything like that. But people on SSRIS have the problem and I’ve noticed that at certain times when it goes away I feel more alive and the anhedonia and emotional blunting recedes a little bit. But when it comes back I get the symptoms again. Could I be having some mild form of serotonin syndrome?

8-7 stayed for 2 weeks

I’m just so confused about all of what’s been going on for about an hour I felt really good and my pupil wasn’t dilated, but right before that happened I started having almost an anxiety attack like something was coming out of my system but then I actually felt relatively alive. Then out of nowhere I feel the emotional dulling come back and then I check in the mirror and sure enough one of my

pupils is dilated again and my headache is back

8-7 stayed for 2 weeks

Hi @gummy808s

3 minutes ago, gummy808s said:

I’ve noticed that at certain times when it goes away I feel more alive and the anhedonia and emotional blunting recedes a little bit. But when it comes back I get the symptoms again.

To me this sounds like typical withdrawal (WD) symptoms, and that you're experiencing what's known as the Windows and Waves pattern. 

Based on your signature, my best guess is that you are experiencing WD from both cold turkey (CT) off of sertraline and too-fast tapering down from 20mg --> 5 mg prozac. Too fast tapering is akin to CT for our brains. I'd venture to say that your system is destabillized and sensitized from double CT in a short period of time. 

I'm not an expert by any means, but based on your drug signature, I doubt it's serotonin syndrome. 

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

August 2021 - 2mg melatonin   August 1, 2022 - 1mg melatonin   March 31, 2023 - 0mg melatonin

2024 supplements update: electrolyte blend in water sipped throughout the day; 1 tsp cod liver oil blend (incl. vit. A+D+E) w/ breakfast; calcium; vitamin C+zinc

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.  - Karle Wilson Baker

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

I am not a medical professional; this is not medical advice. 

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

August 2021 - 2mg melatonin   August 1, 2022 - 1mg melatonin   March 31, 2023 - 0mg melatonin

2024 supplements update: electrolyte blend in water sipped throughout the day; 1 tsp cod liver oil blend (incl. vit. A+D+E) w/ breakfast; calcium; vitamin C+zinc

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

2 minutes ago, Ariel said:

Hi @gummy808s

To me this sounds like typical withdrawal (WD) symptoms, and that you're experiencing what's known as the Windows and Waves pattern. 

Based on your signature, my best guess is that you are experiencing WD from both cold turkey (CT) off of sertraline and too-fast tapering down from 20mg --> 5 mg prozac. Too fast tapering is akin to CT for our brains. I'd venture to say that your system is destabillized and sensitized from double CT in a short period of time. 

I'm not an expert by any means, but based on your drug signature, I doubt it's serotonin syndrome. 

oops I need to update that I ended up not going to 5mgs im still here at 10mgs it’s just so strange how it happens? can the windows and waves really be like that? I started to feel extremely anxious about 2 hours ago almost ready for a panic attack and then boom I feel like my emotions are way better and I actually felt very happy, then an hour later it’s like i immediately felt when it changed back to the apathetic sort of feeling. It’s so weird and then the eye thing came back!! Ugh this is creeping me out. And I didn’t feel ANY side effects when I quit sertraline cold Turkey I barely felt and effects from the medication in general when I was on it. That’s why I stopped it

8-7 stayed for 2 weeks

22 hours ago, Catina7 said:

17 hours ago, LostInCanada said:

It probably will take longer than 2 weeks for stability. Since your drop from 20mg to 10 mg usually would take 6 months at a reduction of 10%, it was quite fast and hard on your central nervous system. Thankfully you are young and we're not on that dose for long. 

You may experience days or time periods worse than others. Those are referred to as waves and windows.

@gummy808s

It looks like you were advised to stay on the 10mg prozac, and you decided to drop to 5mg. 

Most likely you are experiencing the effects of this additional big drop. 

As you know, reducing so quickly is not in line with SA recommendations. 

Since you only just dropped to 5mg a few days ago, you may be able to reinstate and then hold for a longer period of time to give your system a chance to stabilize. After you stabilize, you'd then be able to begin a gradual 5%-10% hyperbolic taper for harm reduction in accordance with SA guidelines. The moderators here would guide you through that. 

If want to know more about reinstatement, please read the reinstatement topics and tag a moderator for help.

8 minutes ago, gummy808s said:

oops I need to update that I ended up not going to 5mgs im still here at 10mgs

I see. Yes do update your drug sig. 

Glad to hear you're holding at 10mg! 

(our previous posts missed each other, i was writing to you before i saw your post about being at 10mg)

5 minutes ago, gummy808s said:

I didn’t feel ANY side effects when I quit sertraline cold Turkey I barely felt and effects from the medication in general when I was on it. That’s why I stopped it

Sometimes WD is not felt immediately. This happened to me multiple times when I CTed.  It's called delayed onset withdrawal. 

Regardless, every time we CT it is traumatic for our brains and bodies. So even if we don't consciously perceive WD effects for a while, our system is destabilized and sensitized, increasing our risk of WD symptoms with every subsequent drug CT/taper. The effects of stress are cumulative. 

9 minutes ago, gummy808s said:

can the windows and waves really be like that? I started to feel extremely anxious about 2 hours ago almost ready for a panic attack and then boom I feel like my emotions are way better and I actually felt very happy, then an hour later it’s like i immediately felt when it changed back to the apathetic sort of feeling.

Yeah it's really like that. WD is a wild ride. 

Sounds like right now you're experiencing some rapidly cycling waves and windows. The fluctuations vary, it's unpredictable how long things last. The constant is change. 

The most important thing to remember is that healing is happening, the suffering is temporary, and this too shall pass. 

It gets better! 

In the meantime, take good care of yourself. No new drugs. No caffeine nicotine alcohol. A lot of people get benefits from a simple whole foods diet, no refined sugar, no processed foods, no allergens, etc. Gentle exercise. Prioritize rest and sleep. Sunshine. Spend time in nature, with kind people and affectionate animals. Practice self-compassion and acceptance and patience. 

You're going to be okay <3

Emotional dullness I think is why a lot of us want to get off these medications, or at least it was that was one of my main reasons. You're not alone and you've come to the right place!

Lexapro/Escitalopram history: 2012 to 2020 20 mg

July 2020 10 mg November 2020 5 mg 2/15/21 1/2 a 5mg pill ~2.5 mg 2/25/21 3/4 a 5mg pill ~3.75 mg 3/25/21 1/2 a 5mg pill ~2.5 mg

4/20/21 switched to liquid 2.8 mg, made a couple more increases over a week and a half to 3.5mg

5/14/21 increased further up to 3.8 mg, held there until Oct 2021

Decreasing steadily since 10/1/21

Latest change 3/15/24 .14mg

Current supplements:  Once per morning: men's multivitamin, vitamin c, selenium, zinc, magnesium chelate (100mg per pill), fish oil (1000 mg per pill)

been feeling a little more energized I was even able to talk to my friends on the phone today for a little bit!!! I felt something still doesn’t feel right though but atleast it was something. 🥲❤️

8-7 stayed for 2 weeks

• Mentor
5 hours ago, gummy808s said:

been feeling a little more energized I was even able to talk to my friends on the phone today for a little bit!!!

That's wonderful to hear!  It's good to focus on the positive things and be grateful for even the little things.  😊

Disclaimer:  This is not professional medical advice but is based on personal experience only.

1994 - 2017:  Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Seroquel, Buspar, Lorazepam, Xanax, Ambien

2021 (September):  Completely crashed.  Went back up to 37.5 mg but I kindled myself

2024 (Avg. bead count per capsule is 111):  1/1:  -6  |  2/1:  -11  |  3/1:  -16  |   4/1:  -18  |   5/1:  -21   |   6/1  -25

Last night I couldn’t sleep at all and it’s currently 8pm and I STILL haven’t been able to fall asleep, and now I’m scared that I have fatal insomnia or something because I was on the phone with my psychiatrist and they said I shouldn’t be experiencing any symptoms of withdrawal because I wasn’t on it long enough!! And to just completely quit the rest cold Turkey.. my body since last night has seem so messed up my eyesight is so messed up idk what to do I’m so scared 😔

8-7 stayed for 2 weeks

39 minutes ago, gummy808s said:

they said I shouldn’t be experiencing any symptoms of withdrawal because I wasn’t on it long enough!!

If only that were true. Of course if they admit the truth of this they would have to accept accountability. 

40 minutes ago, gummy808s said:

d I STILL haven’t been able to fall asleep,

This is very common. Try to establish a regular routine of when you go to bed and when you rise. May sure your room is completely dark from natural sources. Stay off devices 2 hours prior to bed. Do not watch activating tv before bed. Listen to calming music or sounds. Practice deep breathing-in through the nose, out through the mouth. Lay in bed resting even if you can’t sleep. I imagine I am lying on the beach. Practice relaxing all muscle groups. Don’t worry about sleep. It will come to you even if it is little increments. 

45 minutes ago, gummy808s said:

my eyesight is so messed up

This is common as well. I still get after images, blurred vision, floaters, etc

Please be assured what you are experiencing is withdrawal. It will correct with time. 

• Mentor

because I was on the phone with my psychiatrist and they said I shouldn’t be experiencing any symptoms of withdrawal because I wasn’t on it long enough!!

If the doctors only knew how much damage they are causing with this and how much they make our lives more difficult!

Sertraline and Fluoxetine are both SSRI. This means they manipulate the same part of your brain chemistry. You have been taking this for months. There are thousands of people in this community that all reacted very sensitive to those drugs. A lot of people report experiencing problems after only a few weeks, some even after only 1 week.

It is always good to be careful and look for possible other causes. But fundamentally dismissing the drug as the cause of your problems is more than biased and badly informed.

Earlier drug history:

Recent developments:

Drugs right now:

• Mentor

And to just completely quit the rest cold Turkey..

I somehow missed that before. I would say that this is the worst part of what your doctor has said. Quitting cold turkey would only make sense in a case of an absolute emergency, when you are experiencing extremely severe adverse effects.

As far as I understood your story things got worse after you reduced your dose (before it was not good but better). So why should reducing it even more and faster help?

Earlier drug history:

Recent developments:

Drugs right now:

I’m so scared right now I know this might just be anxiety but, I’m mimicking the side effects of prions and it’s terrifying me. I have Anisocoria I can’t sleep, I’ve had changes in behavior with my severe depression and it’s just freaking me out so much because my physiatrist says I shouldn’t be having withdrawals and even my parents are saying it!! I’m so worried this is one of my biggest fears I don’t want to die idk what to do. I’m even having trouble swallowing ugh I’m so scared 

8-7 stayed for 2 weeks

• Mentor
33 minutes ago, gummy808s said:

I’m so scared right now I know this might just be anxiety but, I’m mimicking the side effects of prions and it’s terrifying me. I have Anisocoria I can’t sleep, I’ve had changes in behavior with my severe depression and it’s just freaking me out so much because my physiatrist says I shouldn’t be having withdrawals and even my parents are saying it!! I’m so worried this is one of my biggest fears I don’t want to die idk what to do. I’m even having trouble swallowing ugh I’m so scared 

Panic and anxiety are pretty common symptoms when people change the dose of their antidepressant too quickly. It is really tough if you are experiencing severe withdrawal and doctors and family members dismiss it and basically tell you you are "nuts".

If you are afraid of some serious physical health condition and your health insurance covers this, let a doctor examine you thoroughly. Let him exclude any physical causes of your problems. I am pretty sure, there will be nothing. But you will feel better afterwards.

Earlier drug history:

Recent developments:

Drugs right now:

• Mentor

Hi @gummy808s,

Sorry you're having a rough time.  If doctors truly understood tapering and withdrawal-related issues, there would be no need for this website.  Hopefully one day that will change, but for now you're in good hands here.  We understand and believe what you're going through.  You're not alone!  

LostinCanada gave you some great sleeping tips.  One thing I wanted to add is to make sure you have a blue light filter on all of your devices.  Blue light suppresses the natural melatonin we have in our bodies and can cause insomnia.  

Take deep breaths and try to remain calm because you're going to be okay.  We're here for you anytime!