Sash: Help with reinstating to stabilize withdrawl

Posted (edited)

Good day, I have drastically reduced my prescribed sertraline dosage of 125mg  over three days due to financial difficulties. My last dosage was about 50mg near the end of February 2024.

I was quite fine until somewhere around the end of April 2024 until I started experiencing the slight fogginess/dull sense of emotions. It's now to the point where it's gotten worse, I feel a complete disconnect from my children, family and friends. Ive also noticed over the past few days that im getting slight tremors.After finding the site I now realize cold turkey is dangerous. I am desperate to stabilize and try to taper slowly at a later stage.If you could kindly help with advising how low a dosage I should start with to avoid adverse reactions please. I've also been using lionsmane and a herbal supplement sceletium tortuosum as I did not really understand the withdrawl process. 

Edited by Emonda
Name to title

Sertraline:

14April 2022 25mg-16may2022 75mg-27June2022-100mg-19Jan2023 125mg

Esperide:April 2022- Jan 2023

Supplements

Lionsmane,sceletium tortuosum, omega 3

Reduction22Feb2024:75mg,23 Feb2024,50mg,24Feb-0mg

Reinstated5mg-20 may2024,updosed to 12.5mg after 9 days,since updosing unable to sleep,extreme tightness in head,emotionaly numb,mental block,extremely anxious, sense of overstimulation

• Emonda changed the title to Sash: Help with reinstating to stabilize withdrawl

Hello, and welcome to Surviving Antidepressants. We are a peer support forum to assist in tapering off psychiatric drugs safely, or recovering from psychiatric drug withdrawal.

Your first task is to create a drug signature, with the following:

• All current medication you take, the dose you take, when you started the drug, and when you made dose changes
  • All current supplements you take
  • An accurate history of recent drugs, taken in the last 12-24 months
  • Dates for recent should be written as 7 Oct 2023, or Oct 7 2023, or early Oct 2023, or mid Oct 2023
  • A history of drugs taken 24 months ago and beyond - if applicable
  • Dates for historical drugs can simply be listed as start and stop years
  • Please do not use 07/10/23 // 10/07/23 as this is intepreted differently around the world

• Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. See my signature for example of clear and concise information.

--------Important topics in the Tapering forum and FAQ--------

How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

Using a scale to weigh and measure doses

--------From the Symptoms and Self-Care Forums--------

What is withdrawal syndrome?

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Hypersensitivity and Kindling

We only recommend two supplements. Omega 3 Fish Oil and Magnesium. Both should be introduced separately and increased slowly.

Regards

Erimus

Active Monday-Friday UK time

Taper calculator spreadsheet

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

50mg - Oct 2020, 100mg - Dec 2020, 50mg - April 2021, 75mg - May 2021, 50mg - Sep 2021, 55mg - 23 Feb 2024, 60mg - 20 March 2024, Start tapering - 24 April 2024

Current dose: 55.09mg  (1 July 2024)

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

Fish oils, Magnesium, Vitamin C

Posted (edited)

Please fill in your drug signature using the guide I posted above. I would suggest reinstating at around 5% of your dose of 125mg, which would be around 5mg.

Edited by Erimus

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

50mg - Oct 2020, 100mg - Dec 2020, 50mg - April 2021, 75mg - May 2021, 50mg - Sep 2021, 55mg - 23 Feb 2024, 60mg - 20 March 2024, Start tapering - 24 April 2024

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

Thank you very much for the reply. I ended up taking 5mg last night at 8pm. After 10pm I felt better wihin my head if i can say that, however, I could not fall asleep and this is usually not an issue for me. The relief from the symptom did not last permanently. I also noticed that my bodily emotion is still numb.When I woke this morning the emotional blunting/andehonia was back.Would it be best if I should take the meds in the mornings?

Would it also be best if I increase the dosage after one week and by how much in order to function at a normal state as my current symptoms are affecting both myself and my kids.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Sertraline:

Supplements

Reinstated5mg-20 may2024,updosed to 12.5mg after 9 days,since updosing unable to sleep,extreme tightness in head,emotionaly numb,mental block,extremely anxious, sense of overstimulation

• Mentor
15 hours ago, Sash said:

After 10pm I felt better wihin my head if i can say that, however, I could not fall asleep and this is usually not an issue for me.

If you felt relief from some symptoms, this is usually a good sign. You will probably see more improvement over the coming weeks. But you have to be patient, recovery from withdrawal takes time. It is not unusual to experience insomnia or stress when updosing an antidepressant. Therefore it is good to proceed slowly and gradually. Wait at least a week on 5mg, maybe better 10 days, and try to observe yourself and take notes on your symptoms and how you feel. It takes some time for the drug to "arrive" at your system and your body also needs some time to react. After 7-10 days you should reassess the situation and then decide on your next step. If you decide to updose further, you need to do this in small steps. Jumping with your dose can cause a lot of stress.

15 hours ago, Sash said:

Would it be best if I should take the meds in the mornings?

It's probably better to take the meds in the morning, if you experience insomnia. However, it is also recommended to keep it stable and take the meds each day at the same time. So switching the time could cause you some stress and disruption. I am not sure what is better in your situation.

Earlier drug history:

Paroxetine  2001 until 2003, quit cold turkey, don't remember dose; Venlafaxine 2005 until Dez. 2023, mostly 75mg xr per day, for about 4 years 37.5mg xr; quite a lot of Antihistamines because of allergy; there were other drugs that I don't remember all, but nothing what I consistently took over a longer period of time, for example Lorazepam 0.5mg prn.

Recent developments:

Dez 2023 - 03/13/2024 quitting Venlafaxine 75mg (skipping doses); 04/07/2024 reinstating Venlafaxine 12,5mg; 04/17/2024 Venlafaxine 25mg; 4/29/24 until 5/4/24 Trimipramine, 5mg going down to zero over 5 days

Drugs right now:

Venlafaxine 25mg; supplements: 500mg magnesium, 100mg aspirin and melatonin spray

I am no medical expert. I am dependent on Venlafaxine, trying to find and give peer support in this community and simply giving my opinion. Double check any information before you take action, for example with your doctor.

First they sell addictive drugs as harmless and then they leave you alone dosing fractions of a mg correctly or plunging into the abyss.

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening, as advised I waited 10 days and I still did not stabalize(as in the improvement I felt the initial time was not permanant). I then decided to updose to 12.5mg on day 10. I felt good/better yesterday but then today I felt a slight relief for a hour and then later this evening I felt a sense of not feeling myself and just felt panicked and sense of mental block. Could you please advise if I should drop mu dosage to maybe 5/6mg or hold at 12.5mg. I'm so scared. I don't feel like myself and feel like I'm losing myself. I behave like myself most times but other times I just lay/no sense of feeling or worry because I feel nothing. I have 3 kids and I don't know what to do about feeling myself/normal again.

Thank you in advance

Sertraline:

Supplements

6 minutes ago, Sash said:

Good evening, as advised I waited 10 days and I still did not stabalize(as in the improvement I felt the initial time was not permanant). I then decided to updose to 12.5mg on day 10. I felt good/better yesterday but then today I felt a slight relief for a hour and then later this evening I felt a sense of not feeling myself and just felt panicked and sense of mental block. Could you please advise if I should drop mu dosage to maybe 5/6mg or hold at 12.5mg. I'm so scared. I don't feel like myself and feel like I'm losing myself. I behave like myself most times but other times I just lay/no sense of feeling or worry because I feel nothing. I have 3 kids and I don't know what to do about feeling myself/normal again.

Thank you in advance

It takes much longer than 10 days to stabilise. You are trying too hard to react to your symptoms by changing the dose. Now you have increased to 12.5mg I suggest you stay there for a number of weeks. You will experience The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization , sometimes you will feel okay and other times you will feel you are worsening. This is all normal and part of the process. What you cannot do is continue changing dose, you must stick with it if you are to succeed.

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

Thank you for you reply and help.The jump in dosage was due to the fact that I just feel like I can't function properly for like most of the day. I can't think straight most of the time, my memory recall is extremely bad, I have no appetite at all.  Most times it feel like nothing registers in my mind if I can say that and I hardly recognize myself,hence I am constantly overthinking. I will stay at the current dosage for a few weeks and hopefully things improves.

Sertraline:

Supplements

Good day, I just wanted to get some guidance please. I've been taking the 12.5mg for the past 6 days(cutting 25mg in half) which I don't think is quite accurate so I've switched to making the liquid from this morning. Over the past few days I haven't been able to sleep, my mind is racing and feel completely emotional numb and think im extremely anxious,however, it doesnt register in my brain. I was not able to function properly as well.I do feel like my cognitive ability has improved since reinstating but my emotions are still not present most of the time. Can it be that the 12.5ml is too high as I made a fast jump in updosing for the fact that I now know I was impatient.I do feel that my body tolerated the 5ml much better and had much more windows on the 5ml. Can anyone please advise what I should do as I'm so confused.  

Sertraline:

Supplements

19 minutes ago, Sash said:

Good day, I just wanted to get some guidance please. I've been taking the 12.5mg for the past 6 days(cutting 25mg in half) which I don't think is quite accurate so I've switched to making the liquid from this morning. Over the past few days I haven't been able to sleep, my mind is racing and feel completely emotional numb and think im extremely anxious,however, it doesnt register in my brain. I was not able to function properly as well.I do feel like my cognitive ability has improved since reinstating but my emotions are still not present most of the time. Can it be that the 12.5ml is too high as I made a fast jump in updosing for the fact that I now know I was impatient.I do feel that my body tolerated the 5ml much better and had much more windows on the 5ml. Can anyone please advise what I should do as I'm so confused.  

To add, I've also felt extremely overestimated. I know I can't jump up and down In dosages but would it be best to go back to my original dosage as I was able to handle it better

Sertraline:

Supplements

• Mentor
1 minute ago, Sash said:

To add, I've also felt extremely overestimated. I know I can't jump up and down In dosages but would it be best to go back to my original dosage as I was able to handle it better

In general jumping is a bad idea, however after only 6 days I think it is justified to consider taking back a previous step. But it is not good to proceed by jumping around after that. You should try to find a dose where you can move on gradually and slowly from. Maybe something in between 5 and 12.5mg is the right place. How did you feel at 5mg and why did you increase to 12.5mg?

Earlier drug history:

Paroxetine  2001 until 2003, quit cold turkey, don't remember dose; Venlafaxine 2005 until Dez. 2023, mostly 75mg xr per day, for about 4 years 37.5mg xr; quite a lot of Antihistamines because of allergy; there were other drugs that I don't remember all, but nothing what I consistently took over a longer period of time, for example Lorazepam 0.5mg prn.

Recent developments:

Dez 2023 - 03/13/2024 quitting Venlafaxine 75mg (skipping doses); 04/07/2024 reinstating Venlafaxine 12,5mg; 04/17/2024 Venlafaxine 25mg; 4/29/24 until 5/4/24 Trimipramine, 5mg going down to zero over 5 days

Drugs right now:

Venlafaxine 25mg; supplements: 500mg magnesium, 100mg aspirin and melatonin spray

I am no medical expert. I am dependent on Venlafaxine, trying to find and give peer support in this community and simply giving my opinion. Double check any information before you take action, for example with your doctor.

First they sell addictive drugs as harmless and then they leave you alone dosing fractions of a mg correctly or plunging into the abyss.

7 minutes ago, Alfred1977 said:

In general jumping is a bad idea, however after only 6 days I think it is justified to consider taking back a previous step. But it is not good to proceed by jumping around after that. You should try to find a dose where you can move on gradually and slowly from. Maybe something in between 5 and 12.5mg is the right place. How did you feel at 5mg and why did you increase to 12.5mg?

Honestly my memory I'd really bad, but I know I got a bit more sleep than what I did over the past few days. Reason for jump was probably impatientience as what I understood was that after 10 days the brain can stabilize so should decided to increase because 5mg wasn't consistent in my emotions returning

Sertraline:

Supplements

Just now, Sash said:

Honestly my memory I'd really bad, but I know I got a bit more sleep than what I did over the past few days. Reason for jump was probably impatientience as what I understood was that after 10 days the brain can stabilize so should decided to increase because 5mg wasn't consistent in my emotions returning

I'm also not sure if I felt overstimulated as I purely accidentally took a sceletium tortuosum(supplement to help with anxiety and depression) instead of a paracetamol for the headaches and tightness I've been experiencing. However this morning I still felt pretty bad until I took 5mg liquid form of sertraline. 

Sertraline:

Supplements

• Mentor
16 minutes ago, Sash said:

12 minutes ago, Sash said:

I'm also not sure if I felt overstimulated as I purely accidentally took a sceletium tortuosum(supplement to help with anxiety and depression) instead of a paracetamol for the headaches and tightness I've been experiencing. However this morning I still felt pretty bad until I took 5mg liquid form of sertraline. 

Then you are already back at 5mg?

I know it is difficult to hold out if you are in pain. But if you keep jumping around things will probably get worse. if you are already again down to 5mg, I think it is best then to stay there and take it slowly and gradually from now on. I'd say wait a couple of weeks now, try to stabilize and observe yourself.

Earlier drug history:

Recent developments:

Drugs right now:

1 minute ago, Alfred1977 said:

Then you are already back at 5mg?

I know it is difficult to hold out if you are in pain. But if you keep jumping around things will probably get worse. if you are already again down to 5mg, I think it is best then to stay there and take it slowly and gradually from now on. I'd say wait a couple of weeks now, try to stabilize and observe yourself.

Yes I've only taken 5mg this morning. Ever since I've taken it I've felt more okish if i can explain it that way. The tightness is not too bad at this time. I do feel slight tremors in my body currently. It's like I feel a sense of my body and brain not insync. Like nothing much registers so it's hard at times to distinguish how and what I'm feeling, especially without my emotions. I just have a constant tightness in my head and something I can explain like a tension feeling in the middle front of my forehead. I wear specs to distract me from it but doesn't help. Currently I can only feel a slight sigh of relief in my head at certain times

Sertraline:

Supplements

• 1 month later...

Good day, I am back here in need of some guidance please. Instead of taking it slow and steady I reached out to my doctor and asked her for help. She was convinced that I had relapsed and kept updosing my medication on a weekly basis since 7 June 2024. I am currently now going on 4 weeks of 150 mg zoloft and still experiencing derealization. I'm unsure if I should tapering as it's been roughly 3 months or so that I've been back on the medication. I wanted to ask about trying lamatical for derealization. Could that possibly help by using a small dosage to get out of derealization as it's hard to distinguish withldrawl symptoms in current state due to memory issues or would it be best just to taper from the zoloft? I was also put on urbonol but stopped using it after 10 days. I'm also using 12.5mg of Quetiapine which was reduced 2 weeks ago as I was on 25mg.

since I've only been on the medication for 3 months now again since experiencing withdrawl, should I still stick to 10% taper if the lamatical is not advisable?

I really don't want to do the wrong thing by making my nervous system more unstable.

Thank you in advance for your support

Sertraline:

Supplements

1 minute ago, Sash said:

Good day, I am back here in need of some guidance please. Instead of taking it slow and steady I reached out to my doctor and asked her for help. She was convinced that I had relapsed and kept updosing my medication on a weekly basis since 7 June 2024. I am currently now going on 4 weeks of 150 mg zoloft and still experiencing derealization. I'm unsure if I should tapering as it's been roughly 3 months or so that I've been back on the medication. I wanted to ask about trying lamatical for derealization. Could that possibly help by using a small dosage to get out of derealization as it's hard to distinguish withldrawl symptoms in current state due to memory issues or would it be best just to taper from the zoloft? I was also put on urbonol but stopped using it after 10 days. I'm also using 12.5mg of Quetiapine which was reduced 2 weeks ago as I was on 25mg.

since I've only been on the medication for 3 months now again since experiencing withdrawl, should I still stick to 10% taper if the lamatical is not advisable?

I really don't want to do the wrong thing by making my nervous system more unstable.

Thank you in advance for your support

To add, I also kept advising my doctor the last time I felt a relief was 25mg, but she insisted that I needed to increase my dosage. I've asked her about lamatical but due to not having medical savings anymore I'm left to figure this out on my own.

Sertraline:

Supplements