abcook25: Been kindled and need help on possibly taking an ad to help OCD

Posted (edited)

Hi all, new here. So this is kind of long . 18 months ago I came off benzos. Not the slow way bc no doctor ever told me about wds. So about 6 months in I asked for something to help and took clonidine which caused me my 1st setback and that's what gave me OCD. Fast forward to me getting on doxepin to help that which it did but not enough and couldn't increase bc it killed my sleep at a higher dose I tried two other ads. First was Luvox which I was on 5 weeks the tapered off for 3. The start up anxiety was too much . Once off I felt better for sure than on it but still needed help so three weeks later tried anafranil for 4 days and same thing, start up anxiety was too intense so stopped. Now before starting both of these I reduced the doxepin right before. First I reduced from 25 to 10 when I started luvox bc the plan was to switch. Then I stayed at 10 until right before I started anqfranil i reduced it again to 6  then back up to 10 when i stopped the anafrqnil 4 days later. That last change is when things got so bad. Coming off the luvox wasn't too bad. So I've been kindled and it's been 5 months with no improvement. I have some days that are better than others but over all really not good. Ocd is my main symptom and I need help with this  bc I can't live life at all . 

So my question is has anyone who has been kindled tried something else and it help calm things down some? I'm thinking of trying elavil since it's so similar to doxepin . I would of course microdose on it . I'm not sure if I'm in wds or just been kindled and my brain is desensitized qnd over stimulated. Any help would be appreciated. 

Edited by Emonda
Name to title

Xanax-2014-2022. Last 2 years I took it daily. Previois years took 2-3 times a week. Came off August 2022.

Currently taking :

1mg Lunesta- started January 2022- present.

50 mg of gabapentin to help bennzo wds- started december 2022 

doxepin 10 mg . Atarted arpil 2023 still on. Have adjusted the dose several times highest was 25 mg lowest 6. 

Tried luvox October 2023 for 2 months . Same time lowered doxepin from 25 mg to 10. 

3 weeks later tried Anafranil and also lowered doxepin to 6 mg from 10. Took anafranil onky 4 days then atopped. Also went baxk up to 10 mg of doxxepin which im currently on. 

• Emonda changed the title to abcook25: Been kindled and need help on possibly taking an ad to help OCD

Hello, and welcome to Surviving Antidepressants. We are a peer support forum to assist in tapering off psychiatric drugs safely, or recovering from psychiatric drug withdrawal.

Your first task is to create a drug signature, with the following:

• All current medication you take, the dose you take, when you started the drug, and when you made dose changes
  • All current supplements you take
  • An accurate history of recent drugs, taken in the last 12-24 months
  • Dates for recent should be written as 7 Oct 2023, or Oct 7 2023, or early Oct 2023, or mid Oct 2023
  • A history of drugs taken 24 months ago and beyond - if applicable
  • Dates for historical drugs can simply be listed as start and stop years
  • Please do not use 07/10/23 // 10/07/23 as this is intepreted differently around the world

• Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. See my signature for example of clear and concise information.

Active Monday-Friday UK time

Taper calculator spreadsheet

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

50mg - Oct 2020, 100mg - Dec 2020, 50mg - April 2021, 75mg - May 2021, 50mg - Sep 2021, 55mg - 23 Feb 2024, 60mg - 20 March 2024, Start tapering - 24 April 2024

Current dose: 55.09mg  (1 July 2024)

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

Cod liver oil, Magnesium, Vitamin C

• Mentor
Posted (edited)

Hey @abcook25,

I am sorry to read your story. Sounds difficult. How much Xanax did you daily take during the last 2 years before you cold turkeyed?

It is difficult to judge from far away, but on a first read your story looks like you are in severe benzo withdrawal and tried the last 2 years to desperately find a drug that alleviates this pain (and possibly made it thus worse). How would you describe your symptoms on a physical and emotional level (I know you said OCD, but OCD is probably rather your way of coping with physical and emotional symptoms)? Do you experience panic, anxiety, tension, insomnia, for example?

Changing your dose or switching your medication rapidly is generally not a good idea. It puts your nervous system under enormous strain and usually worsens your symptoms. 

See also

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/forums/topic/6632-the-rule-of-3kis-keep-it-simple-keep-it-slow-keep-it-stable/

I know this is difficult, when you are in pain...but it would probably be best to take some time to think about what to do next.

Reinstating Xanax is probably too late now (but we should hear other opinions on that) and you are now on a quite impressive cocktail of a z-drug, gabapentin and an antidepressant, which you are already taking for quite some time. I guess the z-drug was prescribed against insomnia and gabapentin against insomnia and anxiety, is that correct? Doxepin is actually also supposed to be sedative...but you said it gave you insomnia when you increased the dose. Maybe you reacted negatively because you jumped with your dose, which can cause a lot of stress?

Did you have any good times during the last 18 months?

Edited by Alfred1977

Earlier drug history:

Paroxetine  2001 until 2003, quit cold turkey, don't remember dose; Venlafaxine 2005 until Dez. 2023, mostly 75mg xr per day, for about 4 years 37.5mg xr; quite a lot of Antihistamines because of allergy; there were other drugs that I don't remember all, but nothing what I consistently took over a longer period of time, for example Lorazepam 0.5mg prn.

Recent developments:

Dez 2023 - 03/13/2024 quitting Venlafaxine 75mg (skipping doses); 04/07/2024 reinstating Venlafaxine 12,5mg; 04/17/2024 Venlafaxine 25mg; 4/29/24 until 5/4/24 Trimipramine, 5mg going down to zero over 5 days

Drugs right now:

Venlafaxine 25mg; supplements: 500mg magnesium, 100mg aspirin and melatonin spray

I am no medical expert. I am dependent on Venlafaxine, trying to find and give peer support in this community and simply giving my opinion. Double check any information before you take action, for example with your doctor.

First they sell addictive drugs as harmless and then they leave you alone dosing fractions of a mg correctly or plunging into the abyss.