olivertwistnshout: So glad to be here! Could use some advice about reinstatement.

olivertwistnshout

Posted (edited)

hello.

about 5 months ago i cold turkeyed off of celexa like an idiot. the first couple of months went fine, actually it was surprisingly easy. fast forward to april and i started having the worst depression and ocd anxiety i have ever had in my life. i mean on the brink of ending it bad. i tried to reinstate with lexapro, celexa again, and prozac. neither of these i could tolerate more than a week because of increased anxiety when starting. well, today i went to see my psych and he prescribed me paxil because he said it was very helpful for extreme ocd. after reading all of the negative side effects i am debating on whether to take this med again. i took my first dose today (5mgs) and i didnt really have too bad of side effects other than increased heartbeat and terrible dizziness and a slight headache.

should i keep taking this med, i am just scared because it is apparently notorious for withdrawals on these forums. i really want to ride it out and take it for a month or so and see if it works. i honestly couldnt feel much worse than i have been lately. i mean it has been bad, but my psych said after 5 months off of celexa cold turkey (i was on it 12 years) that my brain had no serotonin left and that is why i feel like this. i mean my ocd has literally been off of the charts to the point its scaring me. i am just worried i will take this med for a month and be stuck on something that is making me feel worse and i cannot come off of because the withdrawal is too bad. has this ever happened to anyone. this 5 months has also left me extremely sensitive to meds.

i also take buspar and have some benzos if needed for the increased anxiety that will come along with starting paxil. i just want to be better and not have constant ruminating horrible and i mean horrible thoughts so bad to the point i couldnt even get out of bed last week and it makes me sad when i see my dog. this is bad. i need advice. paxil is pretty much the last resort.

i also take 2400mg of gabapentin daily too for my severe diabetic neuropathy. can anyone give me some encouragement and advice? would i be kindling my already weak CNS? I just have to have some relief and i cant take benzos everyday because they work too good and are more addictive than heroin. anyone have any advice for me? thanks.

Edited by Erimus
Added paragraphs
  • Erimus changed the title to olivertwistnshout: So glad to be here! Could use some advice about reinstatement.

Hello, and welcome to Surviving Antidepressants. We are a peer support forum to assist in tapering off psychiatric drugs safely, or recovering from psychiatric drug withdrawal.

Your first task is to create a drug signature, with the following:

• All current medication you take, the dose you take, when you started the drug, and when you made dose changes
  • All current supplements you take
  • An accurate history of recent drugs, taken in the last 12-24 months
  • Dates for recent should be written as 7 Oct 2023, or Oct 7 2023, or early Oct 2023, or mid Oct 2023
  • A history of drugs taken 24 months ago and beyond - if applicable
  • Dates for historical drugs can simply be listed as start and stop years
  • Please do not use 07/10/23 // 10/07/23 as this is intepreted differently around the world

• Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. See my signature for example of clear and concise information.

Active Monday-Friday UK time

Taper calculator spreadsheet

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

50mg - Oct 2020, 100mg - Dec 2020, 50mg - April 2021, 75mg - May 2021, 50mg - Sep 2021, 55mg - 23 Feb 2024, 60mg - 20 March 2024, Start tapering - 24 April 2024

Current dose: 55.09mg  (1 July 2024)

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

Cod liver oil, Magnesium, Vitamin C

On 5/22/2024 at 9:04 AM, olivertwistnshout said:

about 5 months ago i cold turkeyed off of celexa like an idiot. the first couple of months went fine, actually it was surprisingly easy. fast forward to april and i started having the worst depression and ocd anxiety i have ever had in my life. i mean on the brink of ending it bad.

That was a bad idea. The depression and OCD are withdrawal symptoms from too fast taper.

i tried to reinstate with lexapro, celexa again, and prozac. neither of these i could tolerate more than a week because of increased anxiety when starting. well,

You should have reinstated celexa which your cns was used to. The celexa jump/withdrawal and then the lexapro messed up your cns further.

also take buspar and have some benzos if needed for the increased anxiety that will come along with starting paxil.

Combining paxil with any other med or benzo is a very bad strategy. You are creating a cocktail of different types of meds.

Horrible thoughts are the results of celexa cold turkey and some bad choices afterwards. Most doctors have no clue about withdrawal and have given bad advice.

i need advice. paxil is pretty much the last resort.

I am pretty sure this is a bad strategy. I would advice reinstating a small amount of celexa, what you had originally been using f.e. 0.5 or 1 mg and then hold for longer to recover CNS.

also take buspar and have some benzos if needed for the increased anxiety that will come along with starting paxil

Combining paxil with any of the above is a bad idea. Especially since you are in a (delayed) celexa withdrawal and you can't just replace one ssri with another. 

Reevaluate your strategy with the information above.

• 456 years old male
  • job in spatial planning
  • into sports, animals and nature
  • Started using 20 mg Paroxetine (Paxil) in 2004 for stressrelated anxiety/depression
  • Attempted several times to stop, starting a few years after 2004
  • Found out in 2015 about paxil withdrawal symptoms and the 5-10% taper guideline
  • Started using liquid paxil in 2015/2016
  • 2018 --> 11.2 mg of paxil
  • 2019-2023 developed severe food- and other sensitivities (anti imflammatory, anti oxidant, food colourings, oils, herbs, chemicals etc.)
  • 12/2023 Had been building up for 4 years to Poop-out/tolerance, introducing brassmonkey slide method 0.1mg/week
  • 26/1/2024 10 mg (journey halfway).
  • 14/7/2024 8.4 mg
On 5/22/2024 at 3:04 AM, olivertwistnshout said:

hello.

about 5 months ago i cold turkeyed off of celexa like an idiot. the first couple of months went fine, actually it was surprisingly easy. fast forward to april and i started having the worst depression and ocd anxiety i have ever had in my life. i mean on the brink of ending it bad. i tried to reinstate with lexapro, celexa again, and prozac. neither of these i could tolerate more than a week because of increased anxiety when starting. well, today i went to see my psych and he prescribed me paxil because he said it was very helpful for extreme ocd. after reading all of the negative side effects i am debating on whether to take this med again. i took my first dose today (5mgs) and i didnt really have too bad of side effects other than increased heartbeat and terrible dizziness and a slight headache.

should i keep taking this med, i am just scared because it is apparently notorious for withdrawals on these forums. i really want to ride it out and take it for a month or so and see if it works. i honestly couldnt feel much worse than i have been lately. i mean it has been bad, but my psych said after 5 months off of celexa cold turkey (i was on it 12 years) that my brain had no serotonin left and that is why i feel like this. i mean my ocd has literally been off of the charts to the point its scaring me. i am just worried i will take this med for a month and be stuck on something that is making me feel worse and i cannot come off of because the withdrawal is too bad. has this ever happened to anyone. this 5 months has also left me extremely sensitive to meds.

i also take buspar and have some benzos if needed for the increased anxiety that will come along with starting paxil. i just want to be better and not have constant ruminating horrible and i mean horrible thoughts so bad to the point i couldnt even get out of bed last week and it makes me sad when i see my dog. this is bad. i need advice. paxil is pretty much the last resort.

i also take 2400mg of gabapentin daily too for my severe diabetic neuropathy. can anyone give me some encouragement and advice? would i be kindling my already weak CNS? I just have to have some relief and i cant take benzos everyday because they work too good and are more addictive than heroin. anyone have any advice for me? thanks.

Hi @olivertwistnshout- love the name!  

I'm sorry you're going through this.   Yes, cold turkeying off of any psych med is a very bad idea, but what's done is done.  The depression and OCD/anxiety that you experienced in April is NOT likely you- it is likely a delayed withdrawal reaction.  

When you say that you tried to reinstate the celexa, what exactly does that mean?  Did you take it for a day?  A week?  A month?  At what dose?  It would be super helpful if you could complete your drug signature, as requested by Erimus above, so that we know exactly what you did and when. 

We can't tell you whether or not to continue taking the Paxil- that's only a decision you can make.  But what I will say, is that taking another psychiatric medication is pretty much never the answer to withdrawal issues.  The only way out of withdrawal is to get through it.  It can be made a bit easier for some by reinstating a small dose of the original drug, and then tapering very slowly, but given how long ago you stopped the Celexa, I can see why it has had no effect.  Reinstatement is best done as soon as possible after stopping. 

I will also say that my personal experience with Paxil and benzos was NOT good.  It was a very, very long and painful recovery.  I suspect you have seen many similar stories if you've been reading others' threads here. 

I wish I could tell you that there is any easy way out of this, but there isn't. I think you are likely in for a tough ride, regardless of what you decide to do. The only advice I will give at this time would be that your CNS needs stability right now, so whatever decision you make with the Paxil, you need to stick with that decision, likely for a very long time to give your body a break.  Ride out the terrible anxiety that you will likely have, with or without the Paxil, and avoid adding any other meds into the mix.  

I want to repeat that what you are going through likely is NOT you- it is most likely withdrawal from the original cold turkey from the celexa.  It's an important message- one that you should repeat over and over to yourself right now.  Because it's easy to fall into despair when you are feeling this bad.  If you keep telling yourself it's the drug, it is a positive mantra that can help you through.  Wishing you all the best!

1995- 2007- On and off multiple antidepressants (Prozac, Paxil, Effexor, Wellbutrin, escitalopram). Memory poor- can’t remember dates. Always tapered fast or CT.  2007- tapered Wellbutrin, zopiclone and escitalopram over one month to get pregnant.  Withdrawal hell for many years.

2009- Daughter born 🥰 Post partum depression/psychosis- no meds taken.

2016- Back on escitalopram due to job change/anxiety

2022- Severe covid infection- Diagnosed with long covid 08/22.

2023- 01/23- Long term disability approved for long covid.  Started taper under MD advice from 20mg: 11/23- 15mg. 2024- March-10mg. Started low dose naltrexone for long covid-5mg- terrible reaction, reduced to 0.5mg.  April- 10mg escitalopram, 1.0mg LDN. May 1- 9.0mg escitalopram, 1.0mg LDN. May 15- 9.0mg escitalopram, 1.5mg LDN.  June 12- 8.5mg escitalopram, 1.5mg LDN.  July 8- Brassmonkey micro taper started.  8.4mg escitalopram, 1.5mg LDN.  July 15- 8.3mg esc, 1.5mg LDN.  July 18 8.3mg esc, 2.0mg LDN

Supplements/other meds: Vitamin D, B12, Claritin

I am not a doctor.  I don't even play one on TV.  This is not medical advice, but based on personal experience.  Please consult a medical professional.