Britty1234: Venlafaxine withdrawal

I have been taking venlafaxine for 15 years. Unfortunately, I had bad advice from the Dr. They told me to skip days by two then by three days. I had got myself from 37.5 with two balls missing (three ball tablet). I have been doing this since Feb. About 2 months ago I stopped all together for 5 days. I had stress so I started two balls again every three days. Then I had stomach issues. Waking up in the morning with pain and had reverberations in my stomach all day for 5 days. I’m still having issues now. Bloating, gas, pain, nausea and excruciating pain in my stomach. I’ve had gastrointestinal test and nothing. Possible Sibo but I was borderline. I went to A&E (ER) 4 days ago with pain of 10 in my stomach. 

After 4 days off, I tried to reinstate a few days ago with 2mg. My gastrointestinal issues felt better for the first time. My issue was that heart Beats per Minute were jumping from 38-150BPM on two separate occasions over two days. I went to A&E (ER) they said my heart was fine.

im now withdrawing. Having tingling, nausea, agitation. I’ve not taken it for two days. 

I’m not sure if the dose was too low or if I’ve become over sensitive to venlafaxine. 

should I withdraw or take a lower dose? it’s been two days since I took 2mg. I’m now on nothing. 

medication

Venlafaxine

October 2009 - 250mg, August 2011 - 150mg (no taper), December 2022 - 37.5mg (no taper), December 2023 22mg, February 2024 - 22mg every two days, February 2024 - 22mg every three days, February 2024 - Zero 5 days, February 2024 -22mg every three days, May 2024 - Zero 5 days, May 2024 - 2mg one day, May 2024 zero 

Supplements 

Zero 

Hello, please follow this information to fill in your drug signature. Delete the current signature you have created, as we can read it in your first post. Many thanks, and I will get back to you once you have finished.

Your first task is to create a drug signature, with the following:

• All current medication you take, the dose you take, when you started the drug, and when you made dose changes
  • All current supplements you take
  • An accurate history of recent drugs, taken in the last 12-24 months
  • Dates for recent should be written as 7 Oct 2023, or Oct 7 2023, or early Oct 2023, or mid Oct 2023
  • A history of drugs taken 24 months ago and beyond - if applicable
  • Dates for historical drugs can simply be listed as start and stop years
  • Please do not use 07/10/23 // 10/07/23 as this is intepreted differently around the world

• Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. See my signature for example of clear and concise information.

Active Monday-Friday UK time

Taper calculator spreadsheet

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

50mg - Oct 2020, 100mg - Dec 2020, 50mg - April 2021, 75mg - May 2021, 50mg - Sep 2021, 55mg - 23 Feb 2024, 60mg - 20 March 2024, Start tapering - 24 April 2024

Current dose: 55.09mg  (1 July 2024)

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

Fish oils, Magnesium, Vitamin C

Should I try to reinstate or go through withdrawal. 

I have been taking venlafaxine for 15 years. Unfortunately, I had bad advice from the Dr. They told me to skip days by two then by three days. I had got myself from 37.5 with two balls missing (three ball tablet). I have been doing this since Feb. About 2 months ago I stopped all together for 5 days. I had stress so I started two balls again every three days. Then I had stomach issues. Waking up in the morning with pain and had reverberations in my stomach all day for 5 days. I’m still having issues now. Bloating, gas, pain, nausea and excruciating pain in my stomach. I’ve had gastrointestinal test and nothing. Possible Sibo but I was borderline. I went to A&E (ER) 4 days ago with pain of 10 in my stomach. 

After 4 days off, I tried to reinstate a few days ago with 2mg. My gastrointestinal issues felt better for the first time. My issue was that heart Beats per Minute were jumping from 38-150BPM on two separate occasions over two days. I went to A&E (ER) they said my heart was fine.

im now withdrawing. Having tingling, nausea, agitation. I’ve not taken it for two days. 

I’m not sure if the dose was too low or if I’ve become over sensitive to venlafaxine. 

medication

Venlafaxine

October 2009 - 250mg, August 2011 - 150mg (no taper), December 2022 - 37.5mg (no taper), December 2023 22mg, February 2024 - 22mg every two days, February 2024 - 22mg every three days, February 2024 - Zero 5 days, February 2024 -22mg every three days, May 2024 - Zero 5 days, May 2024 - 2mg one day, May 2024 zero 

Supplements 

Zero 

• Moderator Emeritus
Posted (edited)

Hi Britty1234,

Best if you post right here, you now have your own Introduction topic.  I just moved your second post right here.

Looks like you got your signature done, and thank you, that helps us a lot.

Is Venlafaxine your first ever psychoactive drug?  And are you on any additional drugs?  If so, what?

And here's the list of WD(withdrawal) symptoms that we often go by:

http://drglenmullen.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/AS-Appendix-1.pdf

1 hour ago, Britty1234 said:

I have been taking venlafaxine for 15 years. Unfortunately, I had bad advice from the Dr. They told me to skip days by two then by three days.

You're right.  We don't go for that skipping days thing.  It sounds like you may have seen this link below, but I'll put it here, so it's on file in your topic if you want to look at it again.

Never skip doses to taper

About 2 months ago I stopped all together for 5 days. I had stress so I started two balls again every three days. Then I had stomach issues.

What do you mean by 2 balls?  Do you have a capsule that contains lot's of tiny balls inside?  Or the type with just 2 or 3 little packets inside the capsule?

More on Tapering Venlafaxine, and the types here:  Tips for tapering off Effexor and Effexor XR(venlafaxine)

Just 4 days off, and having symptoms of WD,  I'd say go back to 2 balls.  Except do them daily at the same time each day.  In the second quote you said 2 mg and I wonder if you meant 2 balls from a capsule filled with several, many small balls?  It does sound like you benefited from a small reinstatement, shortly after you completed you tapering.  And so, I would encourage you to reinstate again, and then stick with it.......as it may keep you from developing further WD symptoms at this point.  And we've found reinstatement works best when done immediately at the onset of WD symptoms.  Here's the reinstatement topic  for you to peruse:

Reinstatement: About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Stick with it daily though this time, if you reinstate.

Anyway.....if it was me, I wouldn't hestitate to go back to 2 balls/pellets.  Take them daily, at the same time.  And report back or update us, as to how you are doing each day.  If they resolve your WD symptoms or greatly improve them.......then the best plan is to just stay with them for 3-6 mos, prior to tapering again.

I think your CNS would greatly benefit from the stability of daily dosing for a while again too.  And then later, like I said you could begin tapering once again using some of our principles for tapering.  You'll see the "Why taper by 10% or less"  topic linked to in the venlafaxine tapering topic.  That's one of the most important principles of tapering.  So take a look and read through.........if you have not yet.

Okay, glad you are here.  Again, ask for clarification or any questions around you now and your case right in the reply box below.  @Britty1234

That way, we have all your information and questions in one place.  And can also see what support and suggests have been given.

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

manymoretodays(mmt)

Edited by manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022, and again finally 5/25/24.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• manymoretodays changed the title to Britty1234: Venlafaxine withdrawal
26 minutes ago, manymoretodays said:

Hi Britty1234,

Best if you post right here, you now have your own Introduction topic.  I just moved your second post right here.

Looks like you got your signature done, and thank you, that helps us a lot.

Is Venlafaxine your first ever psychoactive drug?  And are you on any additional drugs?  If so, what?

And here's the list of WD(withdrawal) symptoms that we often go by:

http://drglenmullen.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/AS-Appendix-1.pdf

You're right.  We don't go for that skipping days thing.  It sounds like you may have seen this link below, but I'll put it here, so it's on file in your topic if you want to look at it again.

Never skip doses to taper

What do you mean by 2 balls?  Do you have a capsule that contains lot's of tiny balls inside?  Or the type with just 2 or 3 little packets inside the capsule?

More on Tapering Venlafaxine, and the types here:  Tips for tapering off Effexor and Effexor XR(venlafaxine)

Just 2 days off, and having symptoms of WD,  I'd say go back to 2 balls.  Except do them daily at the same time each day.  In the second quote you said 2 mg and I wonder if you meant 2 balls from a capsule filled with several, many small balls?  It does sound like you benefitted from a small reinstatement, shortly after you completed you tapering.  And so, I would encourage you to reinstate again, and then stick with it.......as it may keep you from developing further WD symptoms at this point.  And we've found reinstatement works best when done immediately at the onset of WD symptoms.  Here's the reinstatement topic  for you to peruse:

Reinstatement: About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Anyway.....if it was me, I wouldn't hestitate to go back to 2 balls/pellets.  Take them daily, at the same time.  And report back or update us, as to how you are doing each day.  If they resolve your WD symptoms or greatly improve them.......then the best plan is to just stay with them for 3-6 mos, prior to tapering again.

I think your CNS would greatly benefit from the stability of daily dosing for a while again too.  And then later, like I said you could begin tapering once again using some of our principles for tapering.  You'll see the "Why taper by 10% or less"  topic linked to in the venlafaxine tapering topic.  That's one of the most important principles of tapering.  So take a look and read through.........if you have not yet.

Okay, glad you are here.  Again, ask for clarification or any questions around you now and your case right in the reply box below.  @Britty1234

That way, we have all your information and questions in one place.  And can also see what support and suggests have been given.

manymoretodays(mmt)

thank you for your reply.
I have been taking the capsules with 3 balls (but only taking two balls) every three days since Feb. dr advice!
But when I take them I get really bad side effects. Palpitations, sweats, pacing, agitation. It was getting unbearable. 

I went off them completely for 4 days. Then tried to take them again and it was much worse. 

another 4 days passed with no meds. I managed to get Effexor with the micro balls. I tried to reinstate with 2mg for one day and my heart rate went from 38 beats per min to 158 bpm going up and down over a minute. I only saw it happen twice over two days. That was two days ago.  Now I’ve not taken them for two days. 
I’m undecided what to do? reinstate to what? With which one? Effexor at a low dose, micro balls. Or my old capsules with three balls but take one ball. 
or do I stick out the withdrawals. I’m worried I’ve become over sensitive to venlafaxine. 

I’m not in any other drugs. I took zopicolne for a few months in 2009. 

medication

Venlafaxine

Supplements 

Zero 

I’ve only took venlafaxine. I’m on no other drugs. Thank you for your help! 

medication

Venlafaxine

Supplements 

Zero 

I would suggest trying 1mg with the micro beads for a few days. As long as you do not experience any life threatening symptoms do it for at least 1 week. Your brain and nervous system needs consistency with dosing after your recent erratic usage.

Active Monday-Friday UK time

Taper calculator spreadsheet

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

50mg - Oct 2020, 100mg - Dec 2020, 50mg - April 2021, 75mg - May 2021, 50mg - Sep 2021, 55mg - 23 Feb 2024, 60mg - 20 March 2024, Start tapering - 24 April 2024

Current dose: 55.09mg  (1 July 2024)

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

Fish oils, Magnesium, Vitamin C

• Moderator Emeritus
Posted (edited)

Okay.

It may be that some of the side effects or WD symptoms you've had on reinstatement, have been due to the erratic nature of your reinstatement, that skipping days thing.

Let's call them beads, what you are working with now.

39 minutes ago, Britty1234 said:

I have been taking the capsules with 3 balls every three days since Feb. dr advice!
But when I take them I get really bad side effects. Palpitations, sweats, pacing, agitation. It was getting unbearable. 

I went off them completely for 4 days. Then tried to take them again and it was much worse. 

I’ve managed to get Effexor now with the micro balls. I tried to reinstate with 2mg for one day and my heart rate went from 38 beats per min to 158 bpm going up and down over a minute. I only saw it happen twice over two days. That was two days ago.  Now I’ve not taken them for two days. 
I’m undecided what to do? reinstate to what? With which one? Effexor at a low dose, micro balls. Or my old capsules with three balls but take one ball. 
or do I stick out the withdrawals. I’m worried I’ve become over sensitive to venlafaxine. 

Your first reinstatement sounds like you were using the form that just has 2 or 3 little packets inside each capsule.  And it may have been at then too high a dose to reinstate.  Plus that whole skipping doses while reinstating could have in itself been not stabilizing, or causing  more problems than it was worth.

What's the full dose of the Effexor you have now with lot's of micro- pellets inside.  I mean is it a total of 37.5 mg per intact capsule?

I bolded again the 2 mg, above and wonder again was this a calculated 2 mg dose, from the total pellets/beads inside the capsule, or are you referring to 2 beads from your new capsules?

So you've then basically been trialing reinstatements since February......in a round about way with your doctor.  After an odd taper skipping doses too.  The changing heart rate and blood pressure could just signal autonomic instability too, that is often seen in WD.  Just the same I'm glad you got checked out.

Gosh, at one point it sounded like you did benefit......as your gastro symptoms improved.

I'm glad you got capsules with micro-beads/pellets/balls now.  And I'm thinking, you might benefit from just a one bead reinstatement per day.  Let me get some other staff input, before you do anything. 

Edited by manymoretodays
beads

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022, and again finally 5/25/24.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Erimus!

Thank you for both of your reply’s. The heart beats were skipping for about 5/10 mins. It was quite frightening. Bit the best per mins we’re going up and down from 38- 150. 
Would you still suggest 1mg? 

really appreciate your advice loads. This is a horrible place to be in at the min. 

4 minutes ago, Erimus said:

I would suggest trying 1mg with the micro beads for a few days. As long as you do not experience any life threatening symptoms do it for at least 1 week. Your brain and nervous system needs consistency with dosing after your recent erratic usage.

Sorry, my heart beats were doing this for about 5 mins going up and 

medication

Venlafaxine

Supplements 

Zero 

• Moderator Emeritus
Posted (edited)

Hey, I'm with Erimus.  Except I'd say just one bead/day now.  Taking it at the same time each day. 

And keep us updated daily.

1 bead is going to be a very small test dose to see how you do.  If you do get adverse effects immediately, then stop, or abandon. 

Completely up to you though.  Take a read through the reinstatement topic to help you decide.  Maybe even wait until tomorrow to try or not try.

As you've been erratically dosing for longer than I thought, you may not get complete resolution of WD, but a mitigation of symptoms. 

Edited by manymoretodays

• Moderator Emeritus
On 5/23/2024 at 3:43 PM, manymoretodays said:

What's the full dose of the Effexor you have now with lot's of micro- pellets inside.  I mean is it a total of 37.5 mg per intact capsule?

I bolded again the 2 mg, above and wonder again was this a calculated 2 mg dose, from the total pellets/beads inside the capsule, or are you referring to 2 beads from your new capsules?

Hi Britty1234,

Wondering what you decided to do.  And am just going to touch on a few things regarding your attempted venlafaxine taper, and some of the recent symptoms you reported.

It is really important to know just what dose you are taking, or with the venlafaxine, your best approximation of what that might be?  So I requoted my previous question.  Best to open up at least one capsule, and then letting us know what the total dose of the capsule is, prior to any tampering with it.  Count all the little beads inside.  Best done on a dark surface, that won't allow any to roll off.  If you follow the links in the venlafaxine tapering topic, you'll see what others have done in regard to this.  Venlafaxine tapering topic

Once you get a bead count you can take the total dose per capsule when it's intact and divide this by the number of mini beads.  That'll give you a rough estimate of how many mg of active ingrediant(dose strength) is in each bead.  Unfortunately, the beads vary in size and so this is not exact. 

Our suggestion was to take a very minimal dose now, and on a daily basis. 

As far as the varying heart rate you've experienced I think if I were you, I would at least consult my regular primary GP, for follow up.  Hopefully they can do a full 12 lead EKG, and possibly more to rule out any new onset heart arrythmia, and then if needed send you on to cardiology for a more complete work up.  Best to err on the safe side.

Do please update with what you've decided to do, and what your symptoms have been like and we can go from there as far as trying to get you into a stable WD situation.  We can't of course, diagnose or treat any arrythmia's here, but can help with further tapering and WD.

Best, L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Hi, 

Thank you for getting back to me again. Unfortunately, I think I’ve just worked out why I’m getting such bad reactions to taking venlafaxine. I was put on lansoprazole (PPI) in feb due to stomach pain. This was when I first stopped taking venlafaxine for 5 days and reinstating the skipped doses, I mentioned earlier. I asked the Dr if I could take this with venlafaxine and they said yes. I also checked myself on the med site and it wasn’t a huge risk.  

Last night I did some reading and I’ve noticed that PPI’s increase the metabolism of venlafaxine. This makes sense that whenever I’ve taken venlafaxine I’ve had such extreme effects. Palpitations, pacing, sweats, shaking, nausea and anxiety from experiencing these symptoms. 

Now I'm stuck as I can’t just stop the PPI as you have to taper yourself off them. I halved my PPI dose today but this is going to take a few weeks until I'm fully off them. Also have a chance that my acid reflux comes back. 

I'm in such an awful place as I'm having intense withdrawal symptoms. Brain zaps, tingling and pressure in head. Cold hand and feet, Nausea, agitation, Constipation, gas and my usual stomach issues. I’m finding sound is too much to cope with. This morning my vision isn’t great. Monday was the last day I took Venlafaxine at the small dose of 2mg. That’s when my heartbeat was revving up and down. 38 bpm to 150bpm. The A&E dr said my heart was fine and it could take it. I’m aware DR’s don’t do their homework about antidepressants withdrawals and symptoms of taking it. 

I’m not sure what to do as I would just take one ball but I’m worried the PPI is changing it metabolism.   

thanks again for all your responses. 

medication

Venlafaxine

Supplements 

Zero 

• Mentor
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Britty1234 said:

Palpitations, pacing, sweats, shaking, nausea and anxiety from experiencing these symptoms. 

Those are pretty normal symptoms when your nervous system is destabilized by withdrawal and you reinstate an antidepressant too high. So this can be completely unrelated to Lansoprazole. I think manymoretodays ideas are really good and her questions important. How are you dosing Venlafaxine? How did you calculate 2mg?

P.S.: You should put every drug into your signature...Venlafaxine, Lansoprazole and all the rest, at least for the last 2 years.

Edited by Alfred1977

Earlier drug history:

Paroxetine  2001 until 2003, quit cold turkey, don't remember dose; Venlafaxine 2005 until Dez. 2023, mostly 75mg xr per day, for about 4 years 37.5mg xr; quite a lot of Antihistamines because of allergy; there were other drugs that I don't remember all, but nothing what I consistently took over a longer period of time, for example Lorazepam 0.5mg prn.

Recent developments:

Dez 2023 - 03/13/2024 quitting Venlafaxine 75mg (skipping doses); 04/07/2024 reinstating Venlafaxine 12,5mg; 04/17/2024 Venlafaxine 25mg; 4/29/24 until 5/4/24 Trimipramine, 5mg going down to zero over 5 days

Drugs right now:

Venlafaxine 25mg; supplements: 500mg magnesium, 100mg aspirin and melatonin spray

I am no medical expert. I am dependent on Venlafaxine, trying to find and give peer support in this community and simply giving my opinion. Double check any information before you take action, for example with your doctor.

First they sell addictive drugs as harmless and then they leave you alone dosing fractions of a mg correctly or plunging into the abyss.

• Mentor
On 5/23/2024 at 11:15 PM, Britty1234 said:

I have been taking the capsules with 3 balls (but only taking two balls) every three days since Feb. dr advice!

If your capsules contain 3 balls, it is very likely that those are 37.5mg xr capsules and each ball thus contains 12.5mg. If you took 2 balls, that is 25mg instead of 2mg. Reinstating 25mg Venlafaxine can lead to very strong symptoms.

Earlier drug history:

Paroxetine  2001 until 2003, quit cold turkey, don't remember dose; Venlafaxine 2005 until Dez. 2023, mostly 75mg xr per day, for about 4 years 37.5mg xr; quite a lot of Antihistamines because of allergy; there were other drugs that I don't remember all, but nothing what I consistently took over a longer period of time, for example Lorazepam 0.5mg prn.

Recent developments:

Dez 2023 - 03/13/2024 quitting Venlafaxine 75mg (skipping doses); 04/07/2024 reinstating Venlafaxine 12,5mg; 04/17/2024 Venlafaxine 25mg; 4/29/24 until 5/4/24 Trimipramine, 5mg going down to zero over 5 days

Drugs right now:

Venlafaxine 25mg; supplements: 500mg magnesium, 100mg aspirin and melatonin spray

I am no medical expert. I am dependent on Venlafaxine, trying to find and give peer support in this community and simply giving my opinion. Double check any information before you take action, for example with your doctor.

First they sell addictive drugs as harmless and then they leave you alone dosing fractions of a mg correctly or plunging into the abyss.

2 hours ago, Alfred1977 said:

If your capsules contain 3 balls, it is very likely that those are 37.5mg xr capsules and each ball thus contains 12.5mg. If you took 2 balls, that is 25mg instead of 2mg. Reinstating 25mg Venlafaxine can lead to very strong symptoms.

Hey, thank you for your reply. I managed to get myself Effexor with the micro balls. I counted them. I only too 6 micro balls which equated to around 2mg. 

I think lansoprazole is causing it to metabolise too quickly. 

I’ve still not taken 1 ball as suggested. I’m still contemplating it. It just really scared me when my heat beat was revving the way it did. I’ve not had anything since Monday. 

medication

Venlafaxine

Supplements 

Zero 

• Mentor
Posted (edited)

It just really scared me when my heat beat was revving the way it did. I’ve not had anything since Monday. 

I understand. With respect to your heartbeat I would at least consult your regular primary GP for follow up as manymoretodays suggested.

I am sorry, you have a difficult decision to make, if 6 microbeads of the originial brand xr capsules gave you this reaction. 2mg is not extremely low, but it is not high either. Unfortunately (as far as I know) time, rest and reinstatement are the only things that can bring you relief from withdrawal. If you decide to give it another try and reinstate again, sooner is better than later and I would also try 1 microbead in that case as manymoretodays suggested.

I read in your signature that you were skipping doses (I did that as well). This is really bad and frazzles your nervous system.

Edited by Alfred1977

Earlier drug history:

Recent developments:

Drugs right now:

• Moderator Emeritus
10 hours ago, Britty1234 said:

Last night I did some reading and I’ve noticed that PPI’s increase the metabolism of venlafaxine. This makes sense that whenever I’ve taken venlafaxine I’ve had such extreme effects. Palpitations, pacing, sweats, shaking, nausea and anxiety from experiencing these symptoms. 

Hmmm, I'm not seeing interactions between the 2 venlafaxine and lansoprazole on Drugs.com or Medscape, at least as far as one or the other affecting the metabolism of the other in the liver.

Perhaps just quicker absorption?  Good for you, for checking on drug interactions.  Where did you find your information?

Hey, thank you for your reply. I managed to get myself Effexor with the micro balls. I counted them. I only too 6 micro balls which equated to around 2mg. 

What was the total mg per capsule, and then the total of beads within?

If 6 balls or beads worked out to be 2 mg, then just 3 beads or balls would be just a 1 mg dose approx.

And that would be nice and low to test trial reinstatement with.

Yes, generally, and hopefully you found our PPI topic, with tips for tapering those for when you begin that.  Putting the link here for easy reference:

Tips for tapering off stomach acid or PPI's

Also:  Digestive problems, nausea, diarrhea, bloating, GERD  may have some non-drug coping you can do, as well

Not an uncommon WD symptom.

Why don't you, if you reinstate, do a daily drug and symptom journal/Notes.  First on paper, and then share here.  Try to get at least 3 days done.

Notes, daily drug and symptom journal 

When sharing, get the date at the top.  Then times for a 24 hour period to the left.  On the right of times, note drug by name, and dose, as well as symptoms as they occur throughout the day, both before and after your drugs/medications

That can really help us get an objective view of what's happening and then help you better as well.

To add to your current drug signature just go to:   AccountSettings/ signature/edits  add in the lanosoprazole with the date to the left again, when started, and the dose

Again, when and if you feel ready.  I don't want to push you into a reinstatement that you are highly anxious about.  It is scary when something to do with the heart happens.  And I think sometimes just getting another check might be all that's needed, to reassure you that your heart is okay.

11 hours ago, Britty1234 said:

I'm in such an awful place as I'm having intense withdrawal symptoms. Brain zaps, tingling and pressure in head. Cold hand and feet, Nausea, agitation, Constipation, gas and my usual stomach issues. I’m finding sound is too much to cope with. This morning my vision isn’t great. Monday was the last day I took Venlafaxine at the small dose of 2mg. That’s when my heartbeat was revving up and down. 38 bpm to 150bpm. The A&E dr said my heart was fine and it could take it. I’m aware DR’s don’t do their homework about antidepressants withdrawals and symptoms of taking it. 

All of these are what many of us have had to experience in terms of WD symptoms.  If you go to the Symptoms and Self Care Forum, you can read up about them, if you'd like.  Just put the symptom in the right search box in the S and SC forum and it should bring up a topic, and sometimes how others have coped.  They won't last forever.

I'm hoping you'll try a mini reinstatement of 1 mg only, as if it helps at all, it's likely to do so fairly quickly.  You've got several staff following you now too, so you could do notes and get input.  If 1 mg doesn't cause any additional distress, it may actually help minimize some of the intensity of current symptoms.  Your anxiety is sky high now, and I think it will help to get objective input whatever you decide.  Look at the reinstatement topic again if you need to, so you feel really informed.

Meantime.  Hang on.  This won't last forever, the intensity.  Generally we begin to see healing in that Waves and Windows pattern.  Pay attention to any time of day when you might just feel more relaxed and symptom free, even if only for a short period. 

Thank you for reporting back.

mmt

• Mentor
3 hours ago, Britty1234 said:

I think lansoprazole is causing it to metabolise too quickly. 

12 hours ago, Britty1234 said:

Last night I did some reading and I’ve noticed that PPI’s increase the metabolism of venlafaxine.

I have been on omeprazole ever since my CT and continued it throughout reinstatement. I am currently still taking it. The last research I did regarding its interaction w ven didn’t mention ven at all in the studies. It did however mention a couple of SSRI’s. Do you have a link to your research that I can look at?

That being said, I have noticed when I decrease my omeprazole I have increased withdrawal symptoms. I am down to 2.4mg Effexor, and have found that even decreasing one micro-bead of omeprazole can leave me with mildly increased ven WD symtpoms. So, I do think it affects ven, but perhaps not to the extent your research reportedly claims. 

My ct off ven wrecked my gut and is why I had to start taking it. Then, once I reinstated the gut symptoms remained. They did get better, but with each taper of 1 bead of ven, the stomach symptoms revved back up. For this reason, I intend to stay on omeprazole until I am finished tapering, but am very slowly decreasing it. 

I don’t think your PPi is having as profound of an effect on your symptoms as one might think. In other words, I think you’ll probably find that after you come off the PPi, those tough symptoms still remain at basically the same levels. In fact, they might increase. 

Regardless of what is causing your symptoms, I pretty much can guarantee that inconsistency in dosages and starting/stopping ven will only add to the problem. I’ve found that being consistent in ALL my meds and supplements has been critical in stabilizing and remaining stabilized. Changing doses, going up and down, starting then stopping other meds/supplements, skipping days can all cause us big problems. 

I agree with MMT and too hope you will consider a 1mg reinstatement and go from there. I’m not quite sure you gave the 2mg a chance. It took me months to stabilize after reinstating.

1988-1996  Various AD’s, all classifications.  1996-2019  Effexor XR 37.5mg to 150mg. Jan 2017 onward, 37.5 mg.

2019  Apr 11 - July 24: Trials of Latuda then Rexulti. CT'd off per dr.  Jul 24: CT Effexor (per dr)  Sep 9-19: Viibryd, CT (per dr).  Sep 23-27: Trintellix. CT (per dr).  Sep 28 - Oct 24:  Prozac 10mg.  Oct 24:  Stop Prozac, began Pristiq 25mg->50->25mg.

2020  Feb 1: CT Pristiq. Feb 1: Reinstated Effexor XR (10 large beads) gradually increasing to 22 beads (15L+7M) or 9.072mgai on Mar, 2020.

2021  Started Jan w 21 beads (13L+8M) or 8.47mgai ended Dec: 17 beads (7L+9M+1S) or 6.19mgai. Severe COVID + TIA.

2022  Ended yr w 14 beads (3L+5M+5S+1XS) or 4.5mgai. Major jaw injury during year + family tragedy.

2023  Jan: 13 beads (2L+5M+5S+1XS) or 4.2mgai; Feb: 12 beads (2L+4M+5S+1XS) or 3.9mgai; Mar: 11 beads (2L+4M+4S+1XS) or 3.6mgai, Apr: 10 beads (2L+3M+4S+1XS) or 3.3mgai; Jun: 9 beads (2L+3M+3S+1XS) or 3mgai,

Current: July, 2023: Effexor XR -  9 beads (2L+3M+3S+1XS) or 2.7 mgai

Other current meds: Ambien 10mg 3.935mg , clonazepam .125mg .107mg, omeprazoleSynthroid, Premarin.  Supplements: D3, C, probiotic, K2-MK7, Mg Glycinate

• 5 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Any updates @Britty1234 ? Hope this finds you well enough.