thiccarus: 100mg Desvenlafaxine Cold Turkey

Posted (edited)

I wasn't planning on stopping Desvenlafaxine. My last dose was on Wednesday, May 25. Thursday, May 26, my regular pharmacy informed me they are out of stock. It will be at least a few business days until they resupply. On Friday, I found another pharmacy with Desvenlafaxine, but my provider's clinic told me my psychiatrist doesn't work Fridays, and because it's Memorial Day weekend she won't be in to place an order until Tuesday, May 28. In other words, I'm stuck in withdrawal for at least a few more days.

Some background: I was prescribed 100mg Desvenlafaxine in 2021 after a pharmacogenomic test suggested I would respond well. I started at 25mg and worked up to 100mg without any problems, and I've continued at 100mg since. I occasionally forget to take my dose on time, and I'll feel a little light-headed (with some electrical jolts) until I take my dosage. Despite acclimating well to the drug, my symptoms of overwhelming anxiety, depression, and self-harm continued. I kept taking it because I didn't really know what else to do.

After years of **intense** therapy, I've come to understand that I was experiencing symptoms of deeply repressed childhood trauma. Since I felt I hadn't really benefited from taking Desvenlafaxine, I discussed stopping with my psych. She reasoned that, out of an abundance of caution, we shouldn't tamper with my meds too much while I'm processing my childhood.

It's been three days since I took my last dose. I've the full gamut of withdrawal symptoms: electric jolts like a 9v battery singeing my nervous system like steel wool; difficulties concentrating or remembering things; mood swings (I've been weeping while watching Fellowship of the Ring), including sudden irritability; sweating and aching like I have the flu; diarrhea, nausea, dizziness; vivid night terrors, self harm, and suicidal ideation; it's been terrible.

My questions are as follows:

1. Is it risky at all to take the full 100mg whenever my prescription is finally filled? Because I feel like I haven't really benefited from Desvenlafaxine, I'm worried that starting the full dose after being in withdrawal will result in kindling, making it harder to eventually stop. Should I ask for a smaller dosage?
  2. I'm concerned about the long-term effects of Desvenlafaxine. Since I eventually want to stop, should I take this as an opportunity to start weaning off it?
  3. Will taking other substances (Gabapentin, Dextroamphetamine, caffeine, cannabis, alcohol) help or hurt my withdrawal symptoms?

Thanks so much for the help! I'm so glad I found this community, I was feeling alone in this until now.

Edited by Emonda
Name to title

2021: 100mg Desvenlafaxine

2022: 100-300mg Gabapentin (mostly for insomnia) + 1mg Praxosin

2023: 35mg Dextroamphetamine

• Emonda changed the title to thiccarus: 100mg Desvenlafaxine Cold Turkey

Hello, I would suggest you reinstate the full dose as soon as is physically possible. After this I would wait a month before proceeding with a taper, if you wish to reduce the medication.

On 5/26/2024 at 2:49 AM, thiccarus said:

Will taking other substances (Gabapentin, Dextroamphetamine, caffeine, cannabis, alcohol) help or hurt my withdrawal symptoms?

All psychoactive substances create problems during withdrawal. The gabapentin and amphetamine should not be a problem if you are taking a consistent daily dose. Cannabis and alcohol are a big no for anyone trying to taper.

Active Monday-Friday UK time

Taper calculator spreadsheet

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

50mg - Oct 2020, 100mg - Dec 2020, 50mg - April 2021, 75mg - May 2021, 50mg - Sep 2021, 55mg - 23 Feb 2024, 60mg - 20 March 2024, Start tapering - 24 April 2024

Current dose: 55.09mg  (1 July 2024)

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

Fish oils, Magnesium, Vitamin C