Dothemo: Hi I’m new and seeking advice about Prozac

Posted (edited)

Hi,

I’m hoping I’m in the right forum (that is, is my Prozac doing this?), I’m after advice and support please. It’s a bit of a long story, apologies in advance.

I’m a 45yo male that lives in Australia, and I’ve been on antidepressants since I was about 18yo on and off. I was diagnosed with OCD, Asperger’s, anxiety and ADHD (what a joyful combo am I right? 😂). I’ve suffered bad anxiety flare ups all throughout my life the latest one feels like the worst. 

background on my medication, I went cold turkey off 20mg Prozac 6 months ago as I was sick of a certain side effect, I had brain zaps for two months but that’s all initially. I started feeling myself getting depressed over the months (and I don’t usually get depressed- my problem is anxiety) but no anxiety. Until I suffered a random panic attack about a month ago, felt really “neurological”, and the panic started to worry me and I started getting minor agoraphobia. I had one at work and was a mess for 2 hours afterwards, and took 2 weeks off work. 

So my doctor told me that I needed to go back on Prozac, and that I shouldn’t have cold Turkey it. So he put me on 20mg of Prozac once in the morning, and it’s now day 6. Two days ago, I felt the anxiety rising more and more since restarting, but since two days ago - it’s put me in crisis - close to hospitalisation. I think I have something called “Activation Syndrome”, I’ve got severe anxiety and agitation, manic anxious thoughts, minor confusion and thought blocking and I am very disorganised at the moment. I feel constant nervousness, pangs of random horror/anxiety and I’ve got severe anxiety introspection. It’s more than garden variety anxiety. Ironically the panic attacks are gone because it’s like one constant manic panic attack that eases a bit at night (is it because I take the Prozac in the morning?)

(quick flash back to 2012)

I’ve never been “activated” on Prozac before, but I did on Zoloft in 2012 - when my doctor increased my Zoloft at the time from 50mg to 100mg, I had activation syndrome for three months, the doctors said it was just anxiety but it was way more, like now. I lost my job and my marriage because of it. My pharmacist eventually told me to go right off it (none of the doctors picked it up) and I was over the activation syndrome in three days. I was really well for about 6-7 months until I started having weird neurological panic attacks (seems like a pattern).

(back to the present)

So that’s why I feel like I’m “activated” because it happened before. Just like then and now, I always started feeling a bit better at night (I’m typing this at night) every day and it’s a roller coaster. I’ve never had this problem with Prozac before, only Zoloft, but now I’m simply having it again. 

The doctors I’ve seen haven’t helped much - not believing that Prozac COULD EVEN DO THIS!! They have, given me a very low dose Valium which did take a bit of the edge off but not stop it due to the small dose. I was also given seroqul very low dose but I haven’t touched that yet. 

I’m quite scared, the only thing that takes some of the fear away is knowing that the Prozac may be doing this, if not, I’m going psychotic. 

So if you’ve read this long, thanks in advance! I’m after advice on what to do. Should I keep taking the 20mg Prozac (day 6 now) and sedate myself like a zombie hoping to cover the activation syndrome until *maybe* I stabilise or should I cold turkey like I did with the Zoloft and at least let the activation subside and look at coming back on super slow later? I think you folks are the only ones that could help and advice because my GPs think I’m making “activation syndrome” up. I’d be eternally grateful for any advice on this. Regards, Dothemo 

Edited by Emonda
Name to title

Australian. Have been on Prozac since I was about 18yo. Had mental health anxiety crash in 2012, was put on Zoloft, agitation became worse once my dose went from 50mg to 100mg, I believe I developed severe activation syndrome. Suffered for 3 months until my pharmacist told me to cold turkey. Was better in 3 days, but a few month later had a bizarre panic crash and was put back on Prozac. Skip to now, cold turkeyed off Prozac, was fine up until 5 months ago - the strange panic came back. Doctor put me back on 20mg Prozac about 8 days ago - in a mental health crisis now, some of these symptoms are the same as my activation syndrome in 2012. Just here for support. 

• Emonda changed the title to Dothemo: Hi I’m new and seeking advice about Prozac
  • Administrator

Welcome @Dothemo,

3 hours ago, Dothemo said:

I’m hoping I’m in the right forum

You're in the right spot 👍

I went cold turkey off 20mg Prozac 6 months ago

CT is pretty tough! For future reference, this is the way to taper: Why taper by 10% of my dosage? The reductions should get smaller and smaller each month, for example: 10mg, 9mg, 8.1mg, 7.3mg etc. Importantly, if you develop unpleasant side effects from tapering, halt the taper, give yourself time to settle, and once stable, taper more slowly and by smaller amounts moving forward.

Your CT would likely leave you with unpleasant WD symptoms: Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF) 

I started feeling myself getting depressed over the months (and I don’t usually get depressed- my problem is anxiety) but no anxiety

Feeling something new/different to the original cause for starting medication is often described by someone experiencing WD symptoms.

So my doctor told me that I needed to go back on Prozac, and that I shouldn’t have cold Turkey it. So he put me on 20mg of Prozac once in the morning, and it’s now day 6.

The doctor was right about the CT comments, but reinstating straight back to 20mg after 6 months off? That's not what is recommended here.

It's far safer to start low and see how you go. I suggest you have read of these two links:

About Reinstating and Stabilizing to Reduce Withdrawal Symptoms

Kindling

I think I have something called “Activation Syndrome”, I’ve got severe anxiety and agitation, manic anxious thoughts, minor confusion and thought blocking and I am very disorganised at the moment. I feel constant nervousness, pangs of random horror/anxiety and I’ve got severe anxiety introspection. It’s more than garden variety anxiety.

This sounds like kindling to me. If someone joined this site and said they wanted to reinstate an AD after 6 months after a CT, maybe the suggestion might of been to try 0.5mg...certainly not 20mg.

Where to from here? It's your decision. After only 6 days, you could just stop. Is it worth trying 0.5mg to see if it relieves your WD symptoms? I don't really know how you'd respond to that.

The doctors I’ve seen haven’t helped much - not believing that Prozac COULD EVEN DO THIS!! They have, given me a very low dose Valium which did take a bit of the edge off but not stop it due to the small dose. I was also given seroqul very low dose but I haven’t touched that yet. 

I wouldn't be adding other drugs to your system, it may just make things worse.

We don't suggest many supplements, but two that many of us find helpful are magnesium and omega-3 fish oil. Here are the links for info about those. Add one at a time and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 

Magnesium and Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Avoid alcohol. 

This is your own Introduction topic.  Each member has only ONE Introduction topic.  Your own Introduction topic is the best place to ask questions and the place to journal your progress.  This keeps your history in one place and means you do not have to repeat your story. 

Once again, welcome to S.A.

Emonda

Please don't send me PMs. I am not a doctor. My comments are based on my personal experience with ADs and tapering. Consult your doctor about your own medical decisions.

Start of taper: Jan ’22 Vortioxetine 15mg, 

End year 1: 4.5mg, 

End year 2: 2.38mg, 

Year 3: 19 Jan 2.33mg, 26 Jan 2.28mg, 2 Feb 2.24mg, 8 Feb 2.19mg, 29 Feb 2.15mg, 7 Mar 2.10mg, 14 Mar 2.06mg, 21 Mar 1.99mg, 10 Apr 1.95mg, 17 Apr 1.91mg, 24 Apr 1.87mg, 1 May 1.83mg, 23 May 1.80mg, 30 May 1.76mg, 8 Jun 1.72mg, 13 Jun 1.66mg, 3 Jul 1.62mg, 10 Jul 1.58mg, 17 Jul 1.54mg

7 hours ago, Emonda said:

Welcome @Dothemo,

You're in the right spot 👍

CT is pretty tough! For future reference, this is the way to taper: Why taper by 10% of my dosage? The reductions should get smaller and smaller each month, for example: 10mg, 9mg, 8.1mg, 7.3mg etc. Importantly, if you develop unpleasant side effects from tapering, halt the taper, give yourself time to settle, and once stable, taper more slowly and by smaller amounts moving forward.

Your CT would likely leave you with unpleasant WD symptoms: Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF) 

Feeling something new/different to the original cause for starting medication is often described by someone experiencing WD symptoms.

The doctor was right about the CT comments, but reinstating straight back to 20mg after 6 months off? That's not what is recommended here.

It's far safer to start low and see how you go. I suggest you have read of these two links:

About Reinstating and Stabilizing to Reduce Withdrawal Symptoms

Kindling

This sounds like kindling to me. If someone joined this site and said they wanted to reinstate an AD after 6 months after a CT, maybe the suggestion might of been to try 0.5mg...certainly not 20mg.

Where to from here? It's your decision. After only 6 days, you could just stop. Is it worth trying 0.5mg to see if it relieves your WD symptoms? I don't really know how you'd respond to that.

I wouldn't be adding other drugs to your system, it may just make things worse.

We don't suggest many supplements, but two that many of us find helpful are magnesium and omega-3 fish oil. Here are the links for info about those. Add one at a time and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 

Magnesium and Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Avoid alcohol. 

This is your own Introduction topic.  Each member has only ONE Introduction topic.  Your own Introduction topic is the best place to ask questions and the place to journal your progress.  This keeps your history in one place and means you do not have to repeat your story. 

Once again, welcome to S.A.

Emonda

Hi Emonda, thank you for the very warm welcome - and I really appreciate your advice. 

Ah I’ve never heard of “kindling” before, but I clicked on the link and read the information - that’s *exactly* what’s happening.

The information does mention that kindling is an “activation” which I believe is what I mean when I say “activation syndrome” - but I didn’t actually know it could be brought on this way as a “kindling”. This activation is almost exactly what I went through before with the Zoloft adverse reaction.

I have very bad ADHD which sometimes makes me prone to forgetting meds, sometimes for weeks. I’ve had it happen for years (except now I use those med boxes to stop it - benefits of being older and slightly wiser!), according to your kindling link, this probably has made me more prone to “kindling”.

Ok, well I don’t want anymore of the kindling activation symptoms- it has almost had me hospitalised over the past two days so I definitely want to take your advice, I can go to the compounding pharmacist tomorrow and use my script to get 0.5mg Prozac tablets made up for a few bucks.

I’m just wondering, when I stop taking the 20mg Prozac, should I then immediately start the 0.5mg Prozac? Or just wait a few days first to make sure the kindling stops and I’m back at the baseline protracted withdrawal symptoms before starting the 0.5mg Prozac?

Thanks again for your help, knowing what is happening takes away so much fear. I really mean it, thank you.

Regards,

dothemo

Australian. Have been on Prozac since I was about 18yo. Had mental health anxiety crash in 2012, was put on Zoloft, agitation became worse once my dose went from 50mg to 100mg, I believe I developed severe activation syndrome. Suffered for 3 months until my pharmacist told me to cold turkey. Was better in 3 days, but a few month later had a bizarre panic crash and was put back on Prozac. Skip to now, cold turkeyed off Prozac, was fine up until 5 months ago - the strange panic came back. Doctor put me back on 20mg Prozac about 8 days ago - in a mental health crisis now, some of these symptoms are the same as my activation syndrome in 2012. Just here for support. 

Well I’ve decided to just drop my dose straight to 1mg Prozac (I think 0.5mg may be a bit low for me to do accurately) and see how I go. How long should I hold that dose please? I can’t seem to find the information. 

I’m going to mix one 20mg Prozac capsule in 10ml of water in a little tube, and draw up 0.5ml in a syringe. That will probably yield 0.5-1mg Prozac because it may not completely homogenise in the water. 

• Mentor
2 hours ago, Dothemo said:

Well I’ve decided to just drop my dose straight to 1mg Prozac (I think 0.5mg may be a bit low for me to do accurately) and see how I go. How long should I hold that dose please? I can’t seem to find the information. 

Prozac has a very long half-life. It will take about 4 weeks for the drug level in your system to stabilize. This makes Prozac somewhat difficult to handle. It is easier with shorter acting drugs to understand what dose changes are doing with you. Unfortunately it could take longer than 4 weeks for your nervous system to settle down after you have been "activated", but maybe you are lucky and things improve soon. You have to be patient and observe yourself carefully. As long as you improve (or things don't get worse) you hold. When you feel your "activation" is turning into withdrawal, you might carefully and slowly increase your dose. Your goal is stabilization and this means going slowly and thinking in months rather than in weeks.

Earlier drug history:

Paroxetine  2001 until 2003, quit cold turkey, don't remember dose; Venlafaxine 2005 until Dez. 2023, mostly 75mg xr per day, for about 4 years 37.5mg xr; quite a lot of Antihistamines because of allergy; there were other drugs that I don't remember all, but nothing what I consistently took over a longer period of time, for example Lorazepam 0.5mg prn.

Recent developments:

Dez 2023 - 03/13/2024 quitting Venlafaxine 75mg (skipping doses); 04/07/2024 reinstating Venlafaxine 12,5mg; 04/17/2024 Venlafaxine 25mg; 4/29/24 until 5/4/24 Trimipramine, 5mg going down to zero over 5 days

Drugs right now:

Venlafaxine 25mg; supplements: 500mg magnesium, 100mg aspirin and melatonin spray

I am no medical expert. I am dependent on Venlafaxine, trying to find and give peer support in this community and simply giving my opinion. Double check any information before you take action, for example with your doctor.

First they sell addictive drugs as harmless and then they leave you alone dosing fractions of a mg correctly or plunging into the abyss.

1 hour ago, Alfred1977 said:

Prozac has a very long half-life. It will take about 4 weeks for the drug level in your system to stabilize. This makes Prozac somewhat difficult to handle. It is easier with shorter acting drugs to understand what dose changes are doing with you. Unfortunately it could take longer than 4 weeks for your nervous system to settle down after you have been "activated", but maybe you are lucky and things improve soon. You have to be patient and observe yourself carefully. As long as you improve (or things don't get worse) you hold. When you feel your "activation" is turning into withdrawal, you might carefully and slowly increase your dose. Your goal is stabilization and this means going slowly and thinking in months rather than in weeks.

Thanks for that Alfred, I will hold steady at 1mg for 4 weeks. I think what stresses me out about the timing of all this is that I’m due to return to work tomorrow for an afternoon shift. I could take more unpaid leave but I’m gunna end up broke. Not sure how I’ll cope, when I had the kindling/activation the last two days and morning, I had racing thoughts so fast I could hardly function physically (just slower to do things, like eat, chores etc). 

One positive thing, it’s 4pm, I took the 1mg Prozac at lunch and it slowly calmed me strangely enough, still a mess though but I don’t feel like I’m “flying” right now if that makes sense. It could be that it’s the afternoon so I’m feeling a little better (always feel better in evening) but maybe the kindling settled a bit. I’ll find out tomorrow morning.

I spent all day writing a medication diary, it was traumatic re-living all the horror over the past few days but at least it’s meticulously documented now.

Thank you. 

• Administrator
11 hours ago, Dothemo said:

I clicked on the link and read the information - that’s *exactly* what’s happening.

It's good to be able to identify what you are experiencing. That's part of the battle.

I have very bad ADHD which sometimes makes me prone to forgetting meds, sometimes for weeks.

Stability requires consistency. Set a recurring alarm on your phone for the same time every day. That's how I do it.

I’m just wondering, when I stop taking the 20mg Prozac, should I then immediately start the 0.5mg Prozac? Or just wait a few days first to make sure the kindling stops and I’m back at the baseline protracted withdrawal symptoms before starting the 0.5mg Prozac?

I can't really answer this. I don't know if you need to stop the AD completely for the symptoms to resolve or if dropping the dose to ~0.5mg will resolve the issue. It's just a guess. We all respond differently.

4 hours ago, Dothemo said:

How long should I hold that dose please?

Until stability returns. It could be weeks or months. Again, we are all different.

Record your symptoms in a diary so you can reflect back on them and track your progress.

4 hours ago, Dothemo said:

That will probably yield 0.5-1mg Prozac because it may not completely homogenise in the water. 

Shake vigorously and ensure you are accurate/consistent with what you do. I use a 0.5ml syringe, and I take great care to ensure the dose is the same each and every day and at exactly the same time.

If you use 20ml of water rather than 10ml, the amounts you remove with the 0.5ml syringe will be larger, making it easier to get right.

Thanks for jumping in @Alfred1977

Keep us posted, Dothemo.

Please don't send me PMs. I am not a doctor. My comments are based on my personal experience with ADs and tapering. Consult your doctor about your own medical decisions.

Year 3: 19 Jan 2.33mg, 26 Jan 2.28mg, 2 Feb 2.24mg, 8 Feb 2.19mg, 29 Feb 2.15mg, 7 Mar 2.10mg, 14 Mar 2.06mg, 21 Mar 1.99mg, 10 Apr 1.95mg, 17 Apr 1.91mg, 24 Apr 1.87mg, 1 May 1.83mg, 23 May 1.80mg, 30 May 1.76mg, 8 Jun 1.72mg, 13 Jun 1.66mg, 3 Jul 1.62mg, 10 Jul 1.58mg, 17 Jul 1.54mg

• Mentor
37 minutes ago, Dothemo said:

I think what stresses me out about the timing of all this is that I’m due to return to work tomorrow for an afternoon shift. I could take more unpaid leave but I’m gunna end up broke.

I am sorry, It is really hard to cope with that kind of stuff while going to work. How is your sleep? In case it's bad: Keeping the room dark in the morning, earplugs, eyemask, melatonin, magnesium and aspirin all helped me with that I think.

Earlier drug history:

Paroxetine  2001 until 2003, quit cold turkey, don't remember dose; Venlafaxine 2005 until Dez. 2023, mostly 75mg xr per day, for about 4 years 37.5mg xr; quite a lot of Antihistamines because of allergy; there were other drugs that I don't remember all, but nothing what I consistently took over a longer period of time, for example Lorazepam 0.5mg prn.

Recent developments:

Dez 2023 - 03/13/2024 quitting Venlafaxine 75mg (skipping doses); 04/07/2024 reinstating Venlafaxine 12,5mg; 04/17/2024 Venlafaxine 25mg; 4/29/24 until 5/4/24 Trimipramine, 5mg going down to zero over 5 days

Drugs right now:

Venlafaxine 25mg; supplements: 500mg magnesium, 100mg aspirin and melatonin spray

I am no medical expert. I am dependent on Venlafaxine, trying to find and give peer support in this community and simply giving my opinion. Double check any information before you take action, for example with your doctor.

First they sell addictive drugs as harmless and then they leave you alone dosing fractions of a mg correctly or plunging into the abyss.

Thanks heaps Emonda, much appreciated - I will do. I will use an alarm. I will also use 20ml of water tomorrow also.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Alfred1977 said:

I am sorry, It is really hard to cope with that kind of stuff while going to work. How is your sleep? In case it's bad: Keeping the room dark in the morning, earplugs, eyemask, melatonin, magnesium and aspirin all helped me with that I think.

It’s been a bit patchy over the past two days. I actually have some melatonin, thank you.

I just had one more question if you guys wouldn’t mind? 

Going through what I have, is it normal to have a mind that feels very demented? I feel so slow now (despite the anxious racing thoughts) and it’s hard to keep one train of thought. It feels like I have dementia (although I’m only in my mid forties). It’s taking me longer to do different tasks, is this normal or do I need a neurologist? (It’s only been this bad in the past three days) Thank you

Edited by Dothemo
Add information

• Mentor
Just now, Dothemo said:

Going through what I have, is it normal to have a mind that feels very demented? I feel so slow now (despite the anxious racing thoughts) and it’s hard to keep one train of thought. It feels like I have dementia (although I’m only in my mid forties). It’s taking me longer to do different tasks, is this normal or do I need a neurologist? Thank you

I would say this is normal and a common side effect of stress and anxiety.

Earlier drug history:

Recent developments:

Drugs right now:

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Dothemo said:

is this normal

Sounds very typical to me. Have another read of the WD symptoms checklist in my first post. Look at points 19 & 20 in particular.

4 minutes ago, Dothemo said:

do I need a neurologist?

I don't think so. With time and continued patience, you're going to bounce back 👍

Thanks so much, indeed it does list memory and cognitive problems and confusion on the list.

I used to suffer from extreme health anxiety as a teenager, and it’s come back during this time - I am noticing the cognitive difficulties and my health anxiety is straight away “this is dementia! You’re screwed”, got more pangs of anxiety from that, and it just feeds everything more. 

I suppose if I really had dementia, I wouldn’t realise. 

I wish I was never prescribed SSRI when I was 18yo, this is some intense suffering. 

• Administrator
24 minutes ago, Dothemo said:

I wish I was never prescribed SSRI when I was 18yo, this is some intense suffering. 

I'm in the same boat. I've learnt to accept the past and focus on recovery.

2.5 years after starting my taper, I'm making great progress...and so will you.

• Mentor
2 minutes ago, Dothemo said:

I started in my 20s and are like you in my mid 40s now. And yes this has been a HUGE mistake.

Earlier drug history:

Recent developments:

Drugs right now:

Thanks so much, I honestly don’t know what I’d do without you guys

Hey guys, just a bit of an update. After I posted, I had another huge panic about the brain fog (felt demented) and extreme racing thoughts and went to the hospital because I just couldn’t stand the anxiety torture - I tapped out. 

I saw a psychiatrist briefly and she has told me to go back up to 20mg Prozac and stay there until I am stable, and I can look at withdrawing with a very slow taper but only when I’m stable. She told me to take low dose Quetiapine as needed (the less the better apparently) until I stabilise. God I hope she’s right - at least it’s not Valium - don’t want to get addicted to that. They sent me home after that.

Just am so conflicted, on whether to stay on the 1mg Prozac tomorrow or just go back up to 20mg Prozac. Just confused. 

• Mentor
1 hour ago, Dothemo said:

Just am so conflicted, on whether to stay on the 1mg Prozac tomorrow or just go back up to 20mg Prozac. Just confused. 

As far as I understood, you had a surge in stress and anxiety when you started taking 20mg Prozac. Is that correct?

Earlier drug history:

Recent developments:

Drugs right now:

53 minutes ago, Alfred1977 said:

As far as I understood, you had a surge in stress and anxiety when you started taking 20mg Prozac. Is that correct?

Not when I first started, I had three good days, and then the stress and anxiety started ramping up, the last three days being chronic 

• Mentor
1 minute ago, Dothemo said:

Not when I first started, I had three good days, and then the stress and anxiety started ramping up, the last three days being chronic 

I would see a close temporal connection there. As said above the drug level in your system is accumulating and your body sometimes needs time to react. What else could have caused this ramping up of stress and anxiety (non rhetoric, open question)?

In my short time here I saw a lot of members that experienced an enormous surge in stress and anxiety when they increased their dose abruptly. I had this too about 8 weeks ago. I think this is very usual and it is much better and less painful to taper into your drug if you want to take it again. Jumping with doses is basically always (apart from life threatening emergencies) a bad idea.

Earlier drug history:

Recent developments:

Drugs right now:

29 minutes ago, Dothemo said:

I believe this is because the drug is building up in your body. The bad reaction can be delayed a little bit because of this.

I would not touch the Quetiapine. I don't believe that the answer to an issue caused by a drug is more drug.

Psychiatrists in general are completely dismissive of anti depressant withdrawal. They don't know (or believe) that kindling is real.

A lot of them don't believe that we can become hyper sensitive to the drugs they tell us to take.

Psychiatry is clueless about the long term problem that come with anti depressent and anti psychotics.

Many of us have experienced what you are experiencing. I believe holding at a low dose and NOT adding any more drugs is the way to go.

You can slowly go up from 1mg as needed.

Again, from my experience, you don't have dementia or an other type of weird disease.

What you have is a combination of symptoms from CT Prozac discontinuation and Prozac reinstatement at too high of a dose.

As weird as it sound, they can both coexist.

You will heal from this. But it takes time, patience and acceptance. It is a bumpy road.

Supplements: Vit D3, Fish oil, Magnesium bisglycenate 200mg (when needed), Melatonin 1.25mg (when needed), Camomile tea (1 cup before bed), THC oil (0.03ml once a week, don't do this to yourself), Vit C 500mg a day
Started effexor in 2011.

Stopped effexor in 2012 (fast tamper).

Got back on effexor in 2012.

Tried stopping effexor again in 2014 (I'm not sure?), fast tamper again.

Started effexor again in 2014.

Switched to Escitalopram in 2016 I believe

Stopped Escitalopram 10mg cold turkey on January 3 2024.

Reinstated Escitalopram 5mg on april 2 2024.

Down to 1mg on april 3 2024, 1.25mg on april 11 2024

Thanks so much for that guys, so I should definitely hold the 1mg for now before going upwards? 

My body is going haywire, I went to bed last night at midnight and my beta blocker was working too well (HR was 48bpm when rested) and I’m awoken by panic at 6:41am shivering HR 115. This is so frightening, but I trust you guys way more than these psychiatrists as she didn’t even physically examine me and was very dismissive of my concerns. 

I spent 4 hours yesterday writing out a detailed Prozac and symptom diary, I was hazy on the exact timelines but now I have an exact schedule of what I’ve taken - could you please analyse for me? I think I said I’d been on them for 6 days prior but I was mistaken, it was a few days more. This is exactly what I’ve taken on doctors advice (the 10mg was me trying to lower out of fear but then the GP telling me to take more)

I’ll write it out now in the next post 

My exact diary

19/may 20mg prozac morning

20/may 20mg prozac morning

21/may 20mg Prozac morning

22/may 20mg Prozac morning

was feeling a bit better up to here, actually had less panic and anxiety 

23/may 20mg Prozac morning 

was feeling better, I stupidly had a Diet Coke at dinner (caffeine never effected me prior to this) but I had THE worst panic attack at night it was unbelievable 

24/may 20mg Prozac morning

severe torturous anxiety starts, worse than before, acrophobia in shops got worse

25/may 20mg Prozac morning

anxiety escalating more, started to panic about it

26/may missed Prozac on purpose, had doctors appt booked

went to an exercise class I usually go to, had the most unreal depersonalisation I’d had in YEARS - this caused me to panic more. Saw doctor after, he told me to try 10 mg 

so had 10mg Prozac tablet at around lunch

27/may 10mg Prozac morning

felt terrible in morning, this is when the thought racing and difficulty concentrating started - very scary

WORSE depersonalisation started, went to GP was scared for my life. He told me to go back to 20mg Prozac so to take another 10mg now

took 10mg Prozac at around 1pm and some Valium (felt a little better in late afternoon strangely) (so now total 20mg Prozac for the day)

28/may took 1mg Prozac at about 1pm.

Felt TERRIBLE in the afternoon and usually I had been feeling WAY better in the evenings, had racing thoughts and felt demented , went to hospital and saw psychiatrist

29/may today - it’s 7am and I’m thinking about taking 1mg of Prozac at 9am, is this the right thing to do?

• Administrator
6 hours ago, Tweed9674 said:

I would not touch the Quetiapine. I don't believe that the answer to an issue caused by a drug is more drug.

6 hours ago, Tweed9674 said:

What you have is a combination of symptoms from CT Prozac discontinuation and Prozac reinstatement at too high of a dose.

I'm with tweed

43 minutes ago, Dothemo said:

so I should definitely hold the 1mg for now before going upwards? 

Give yourself plenty of time to adjust and monitor.

Hey all, just providing an update, I went to a new doctor specialising in mental illness and she was really good. She has taken me right off the Prozac as she says that I am having a hypomanic reaction to it, in 5 days hopefully it should be gone. Unfortunately I was having a severe adverse reaction to this drug, I can’t believe the psychiatrist didn’t pick it up - just wanted to up the dose and hide it with Seroquel. I will update soon, thanks for the help so far.

Also I may have been screwed if you guys hadn’t have told me to go down to 1mg - because I had to go right off for this adverse reaction. Thank you 

You know I may have been reacting to it my whole life (I am someone that is liable to have hypomanic reaction to the SSRI drug class the doctor said). 

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Dothemo said:

She has taken me right off the Prozac

Now, you will need to learn to manage WD symptoms (the symptoms that caused you to reinstate) and your existing health anxieties. A few links that may help:

Windows and waves pattern of stabilization

Emotional Spirals

Non-drug coping strategies

Melatonin for sleep

I'd keep this handy so you can remind yourself that you are experiencing WD symptoms over the coming weeks and months: Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF)

I hope this helps

38 minutes ago, Emonda said:

Now, you will need to learn to manage WD symptoms (the symptoms that caused you to reinstate) and your existing health anxieties. A few links that may help:

Windows and waves pattern of stabilization

Emotional Spirals

Non-drug coping strategies

Melatonin for sleep

I'd keep this handy so you can remind yourself that you are experiencing WD symptoms over the coming weeks and months: Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF)

I hope this helps

Thank you, I’ll take the original WD over the insane hypomania any day - I knew it was different because it was like a constant panic attack with racing malicious anxiety and mostly negative depressive thoughts that fly so fast you can’t even analyse them where every second is an emergency with psychotic thought stopping and disorganisation that you’re painfully aware of and focussed on. Terrifying. 

I will definitely remind myself, thank you.

(Just checking is it still OK to provide updates?)

So I can feel the drug leaving my system, it’s the next morning and I’ve awoken early but without anxiety (no heart race or feelings of this sort of unreal anxiety shock) but I’m having trouble sleeping. 

it was significantly gone yesterday mid afternoon too and I was able to concentrate enough to go for a hill walk (and I didn’t hesitate - just did so). I went to an exercise class afterwards and felt very tired - at one point I dissociated for about 20 minutes- I wasn’t scared cause I knew it was the drug in my system still. I went to the bathroom to have a break and looked in the mirror, looked tired and haggard like a mental patient but with colour in my face, I smiled at myself in the mirror because I knew why it was happening now. Had some strong menthol mints to take my mind of it - it worked. 

I’m considering complaining to the state authority over my treatment by the psychiatrist and complete misdiagnosis of what was happening. Not sure how to go about it yet.

• Mentor
13 minutes ago, Dothemo said:

(Just checking is it still OK to provide updates?)

Sure, keep us updated!

Are you feeling better?

13 minutes ago, Dothemo said:

I’m considering complaining to the state authority over my treatment by the psychiatrist and complete misdiagnosis of what was happening. Not sure how to go about it yet.

I wouldn't bother because they won't bother. You will only have work and trouble with it.

Earlier drug history:

Recent developments:

Drugs right now:

3 hours ago, Alfred1977 said:

Sure, keep us updated!

Are you feeling better?

I wouldn't bother because they won't bother. You will only have work and trouble with it.

I’m on the mend, I think there’s going to be waves. Woke a little anxious but not as bad. I still have to wait 4 days till the Prozac has completely left my system. 

• Mentor
9 hours ago, Dothemo said:

I’m on the mend, I think there’s going to be waves.

Glad to hear. Yes, probably there still lies some way ahead of you. Your goal is stabilization. You have to observe yourself if 1mg is working for you medium term. It might turn out that you gonna increase this dose slightly later. But whatever you do with your dose, do it slowly and gradually. Think in months and not in weeks.

You can anytime ask for help here and keep us updated.

Earlier drug history:

Recent developments:

Drugs right now:

Hi guys, I just need help. As discussed above I found a new GP and she said that the Prozac caused a reaction in me so took me off it on the 28th of May. She told me to take a sleeping tablet at night (very low dose Seroquel) and I took like 6.5mg last night because I’m getting desperate. (Severe anxiety in the mornings)

she said that on the 4th, she wants to put me on an SNRI called Effexor. 

I’m honestly so scared, I can’t function - I’m very scattered and I feel like something is wrong with my brain - like brain damage, dementia or something. I can’t distract myself anymore even when going out - I feel like a mess. 

Maybe I need a neurologist or something? 

If this is antidepressant caused - I’m willing to go back on a big enough dose to stabilise and then look at tapering off properly years later. It’s so scary, I keep reassuring myself that it couldn’t be dementia because dementia shouldn’t come on this fast at 45yo. 

Please help guys, I’m so confused and conflicted on what to do, I’m really not well. Thanks in advance. 

Just to add the one physical symptom that is showing,

my bottom lip rhythmically twitches quite a bit. It’s not overly pronounced but is happening. I’ve felt it since all this has got bad. 

Has anyone had weird lip twitching?

• Administrator

She told me to take a sleeping tablet at night (very low dose Seroquel) and I took like 6.5mg last night because I’m getting desperate

You need to be super careful adding in new medication. More / new drugs are not likely to be the solution.

You should google the drug she prescribed you...

on the 4th, she wants to put me on an SNRI called Effexor. 

Same comments as above.

I’m honestly so scared, I can’t function - I’m very scattered and I feel like something is wrong with my brain - like brain damage, dementia or something. I can’t distract myself anymore even when going out - I feel like a mess. 

Please go back and read the WD symptoms checklist I gave you in my first post. Can you relate to these symptoms? If so, that might tell you that you are experiencing typical WD symptoms. If you form this conclusion, some have success managing these symptoms reinstating a very small amount of the original AD.

Unfortunately, your Dr put you immediately back to 20mg of your AD, which seems to have caused kindling.

On 5/28/2024 at 5:04 AM, Dothemo said:

Ah I’ve never heard of “kindling” before, but I clicked on the link and read the information - that’s *exactly* what’s happening.

Reinstating 0.5mg would have been a far more cautious place to start. Now that you've reinstated and then stopped again, I don't know if you will respond well to 0.5mg. It's your decision.

Once your brain becomes so sensitised to these sorts of drugs, more / new drugs may not be the answer.

I'd encourage you to go back to the start of this thread and read from top to bottom.

I hope this helps.

• Mentor
Posted (edited)

If it was me, I would stay on a low dose of Prozac, adjust that dose slowly and gradually and wait for stabilization, because I believe that this was no adverse reaction to a special drug. Increasing SSRIs/SNRIs can cause enormous stress, experienced it myself and seen it here a dozen times. You write yourself you had "activation syndrome". You have been for years on Prozac...why should you suddenly get such an adverse reaction to it!!?? The only thing that is different now is that you jumped doses...and this is also what most likely caused your problems...jumping doses.

Prozac is the drug that your brain is most used to, so it will probably cause the least strain. Taking 75mg Effexor/Venlafaxine will probably feel even worse than the 20mg Prozac, because it acts much faster and you had not experienced the full impact of the Prozac yet. You should avoid regularly taking another drug for sleep that will make you dependent. 

If doctors generally handled psychotropic drugs well, communities like this would not exist. Here on SA are thousands of members who feel mistreated by their doctors. There are dozens of other communities like this out there. I went to 4 different psych docs over the last years and spoke with at least 2 other docs about my drug problem. None of them knew anything about this. 

Edited by Alfred1977

Earlier drug history:

Recent developments:

Drugs right now: