Emilyjemily33: Which to taper first? Sertraline Trazodone

Emilyjemily33

So I was on escitalopram for 17 years. Told to taper very quickly and knew no different. Jumped off at 5 mg. I was suicidal so ended up quickly being put on sertraline and Mirtazapine. Gained lots of weight on the latter and another very quick taper. Onto Trazodone for insomnia. Was on 100 mg sertraline and told to half it as my vision was so blurry. Held at 50 since February this year. Managed to taper Trazodone to 80 mg from 150 no big issues. Holding at 80 MG traz now and trying to taper sertraline but  I’m having awful withdrawals even dropping 5 mgs. I have a tic disorder and I think either the meds (don’t know which) could be exacerbating it. Or, could be withdrawals making tics worse. I’m in pain and I need to know which I should even taper first. 

2006-2023 escitalopram 20 mg to 5 mg varied doses. CT taper 

2023 for 2 months Mirtazapine 15 mg CT taper 

april 2023- current sertraline (tapering slowly now) 

july 2023- current Trazodone , from 150 to 80 mg tapering since March 2024

• Erimus changed the title to Emilyjemily33: Which to taper first? Sertraline Trazodone

Hello, and welcome to Surviving Antidepressants. We are a peer support forum to assist in tapering off psychiatric drugs safely, or recovering from psychiatric drug withdrawal.

This topic is for anything relating to you, and any questions you have. Please do not start another topic.

We usually suggest tapering the most activating drug first, in order to try and assist sleeping as much as possible. Given that you have used antidepressants long term, and made a 50% cut in February, I would highly recommend a period of holding. It's likely your brain and nervous system has some serious catching up to do. When we have taken medication for a period of 10+ years tapering has to be done very carefully, and in much smaller increments than 5mg at a time. When you are ready to taper again I would suggest doing what we call a micro taper. This is where you make regular, but small, cuts of around 2-4%, followed by intermittent holds. Please read the link I've attached below that cover tapering.

We recommend tapering by no more than 10% of your CURRENT dose each month, to limit withdrawal symptoms. E.g. 10mg --> 9mg --> 8.1mg --> 7.29mg

All the answers you are looking for regarding tapering and antidepressant withdrawal are on this site. Please search around and continue to read as much as you can manage. Use the site search function to search for specific words or phrases, such as drugs or symptoms.

Here are a few of the most useful links:

--------Important topics in the Tapering forum and FAQ--------

Micro tapering

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

Using a scale to weigh and measure doses

--------From the Symptoms and Self-Care Forums--------

What is withdrawal syndrome?

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Hypersensitivity and Kindling

We only recommend two supplements. Omega 3 Fish Oil and Magnesium. Both should be introduced separately and increased slowly.

Regards

Erimus

Active Monday-Friday UK time

Taper calculator spreadsheet

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

50mg - Oct 2020, 100mg - Dec 2020, 50mg - April 2021, 75mg - May 2021, 50mg - Sep 2021, 55mg - 23 Feb 2024, 60mg - 20 March 2024, Start tapering - 24 April 2024

Current dose: 55.09mg  (1 July 2024)

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

Cod liver oil, Magnesium, Vitamin C