Lemonette: Supplements that help Tapering

Posted (edited)

Hi, 

I’m looking for advice on supplements that can help my tapering go smoother.

Ive been on Lexipro and Xanax for 25 years. Trazadone for 5 years. 

I recently listened to a Holistic Psychiatrist who gave me a lot of hope. She claims you can go off antidepressants with no withdrawal if you use the right supplements and do energy work. 

I’m at a 5 mg dose of Lexapro, shaving 10% off for now. Trazadone on 1/4 of 10mg.

Xanax .5  
the decrease in trazadone is causing me to feel awake at night, unable to go into deep sleep. 

I already take all the multivitamins and minerals, eat very clean and exercise daily. 
Any suggestions on supplements that could help, would be great.

thank you for your time. 

Edited by Emonda
Name to title
  • Emonda changed the title to Lemonette: Supplements that help Tapering
  • Administrator

Welcome @Lemonette,

On 6/5/2024 at 10:50 AM, Lemonette said:

I recently listened to a Holistic Psychiatrist who gave me a lot of hope. She claims you can go off antidepressants with no withdrawal if you use the right supplements and do energy work. 

The way to minimise (not eliminate) WD symptoms is to taper very slowly.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage? The reductions should get smaller and smaller each month, for example: 10mg, 9mg, 8.1mg, 7.3mg etc. Importantly, if you develop unpleasant side effects from tapering, halt the taper, give yourself time to settle, and once stable, taper more slowly and by smaller amounts moving forward.

When people taper too quickly, WD symptoms are the likely outcome: Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF) 

It would be worth reading this link: Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

A few more relevant links:

The Brassmonkey Slide Method of Micro-tapering

Windows and waves pattern of stabilization

Emotional Spirals

Non-drug coping strategies

Melatonin for sleep

On 6/5/2024 at 10:50 AM, Lemonette said:

I already take all the multivitamins and minerals, eat very clean and exercise daily. 
Any suggestions on supplements that could help, would be great

We don't suggest many supplements, but two that many of us find helpful are magnesium and omega-3 fish oil. Here are the links for info about those. Add one at a time and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 

Magnesium and Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Avoid alcohol.

Don't change the manufacturer of your AD.

This is your own Introduction topic.  Each member has only ONE Introduction topic.  Your own Introduction topic is the best place to ask questions and the place to journal your progress.  This keeps your history in one place and means you do not have to repeat your story. 

Once again, welcome to S.A.

Emonda

Please don't send me PMs. I am not a doctor. My comments are based on my personal experience with ADs and tapering. Consult your doctor about your own medical decisions.

Start of taper: Jan ’22 Vortioxetine 15mg, 

End year 1: 4.5mg, 

End year 2: 2.38mg, 

Year 3: 19 Jan 2.33mg, 26 Jan 2.28mg, 2 Feb 2.24mg, 8 Feb 2.19mg, 29 Feb 2.15mg, 7 Mar 2.10mg, 14 Mar 2.06mg, 21 Mar 1.99mg, 10 Apr 1.95mg, 17 Apr 1.91mg, 24 Apr 1.87mg, 1 May 1.83mg, 23 May 1.80mg, 30 May 1.76mg, 8 Jun 1.72mg, 13 Jun 1.66mg, 3 Jul 1.62mg, 10 Jul 1.58mg, 17 Jul 1.54mg