Jonwil: Considering Mitrazapine for Benzo Withdrawl.

I finally contacted a doctor about my withdrawl from Benzos today. I haven't so far because I hoped I might be better by now and they would probably gaslight me anyway. I was right, the gave me the return of old symptoms talk and prescribed me mitrazapine. I'm worried about taking it, side effects etc.

Does anyone who has taken it have any thoughts or advice? does it help you with sleep and moods etc. They prescribed 15mg to be taken at night. I'm also worried about start up effects.

Many Thanks.

Took SSRI for a few months in 2021. Had side effects but weren't long lasting. I am currently going through Benzo wilthdrawl and am considering Mitrazapine for relief of mental symptoms. Here for advice and info.

• Erimus changed the title to jonwil: Starting Mitrazapine for Benzo Withdrawl.

Hi, this is my first post on the forum. I am currently going through Benzo withdrawl and was considering taking the Mitrazapine at a low theriputic dose to help manage som difficult mental symptoms.

I was wondering if anyone here had experience of my situation? I was also wondering what the lowest theriputic dose was. Some have told me 15mg and some have said 30mg. I was also wondering if anyone could advise me on tapering onto the drug as I am concerned about side effects.

I took an SSRI for a few months in 2021 and had side effects going onto the drug. I dont want to add to my symptoms if I can help it. I have not yet decided if this is the course I am going to take and I'm just seeking invo and advice at the moment.

Many Thanks.

Took SSRI for a few months in 2021. Had side effects but weren't long lasting. I am currently going through Benzo wilthdrawl and am considering Mitrazapine for relief of mental symptoms. Here for advice and info.

• LotusRising changed the title to Jonwil:Considering Mitrazapine for Benzo Withdrawl.

Hi @jonwil

We are a site for helping people go off antidepressants and are not in a position to make recommendations about new drugs. 

Ideally, you would work on coping skills rather than adding in additional medication.

What symptoms in particular are you having trouble with? We have a lot of resources - perhaps we could direct you to some?

2003-2009 on and off various SSRI's for short periods, Ativan prn

2010-2011 Ativan, up to 1.5mg/day - tapered off without issue

2013-2021 ativan 1-1.5mg 10-12x/month, daily starting Oct 21 to help with buspar WD

2016 - Effexor 75mg, short-term

2021 Mar -Jun Buspar ADR at high dose, tapered 3 months

2021 Aug Wellbutrin 150mg for 5 days (ADR), then MIrtazapine 7.5mg for 7 days (ADR)

Oct 22/21 - Direct switch ativan to clonazepam (don't do this)

Tapered clonaz Oct/21 - Apr/23  - 0mg!

Supplements: omega-3, mag-glycinate

"Believe that your tragedies, your losses, your sorrows, your hurt, happened for you, not to you. And I bless the thing that broke you down and cracked you open, because the world needs you open" - Rebecca Campbell

*** Disclaimer: Please note, my suggestions/comments are based on my own personal experiences. Please consult a knowledgeable practitioner to discuss decisions regarding your medical care *** 

*** Please do not send me PM's ***

anxiety depression and insomnia. Nothing I try seems to make much of a dent

• Administrator

Hi @jonwil

Can you please add some more detail to your signature. You mention Benzo withdrawal, however details of what you took and when are currently not in your signature.

So the moderators can best help you, please complete your drug signature by following these instructions. Adding a signature ensures your drug history appears at the bottom of every post, making it more efficient for those trying to assist.

This link should go directly to your own signature: Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

On 6/8/2024 at 4:55 AM, jonwil said:

prescribed me mitrazapine. I'm worried about taking it, side effects etc.

On 6/8/2024 at 4:55 AM, jonwil said:

Does anyone who has taken it have any thoughts or advice? does it help you with sleep and moods etc. They prescribed 15mg to be taken at night. I'm also worried about start up effects.

We can't provide any advice about starting a new medication.

We only provide information for those wanting to slower taper off medication.

Once you update your signature, someone will try to assist.

Regards, Emonda

Please don't send me PMs. I am not a doctor. My comments are based on my personal experience with ADs and tapering. Consult your doctor about your own medical decisions.

Start of taper: Jan ’22 Vortioxetine 15mg, 

End year 1: 4.5mg, 

End year 2: 2.38mg, 

Year 3: 19 Jan 2.33mg, 26 Jan 2.28mg, 2 Feb 2.24mg, 8 Feb 2.19mg, 29 Feb 2.15mg, 7 Mar 2.10mg, 14 Mar 2.06mg, 21 Mar 1.99mg, 10 Apr 1.95mg, 17 Apr 1.91mg, 24 Apr 1.87mg, 1 May 1.83mg, 23 May 1.80mg, 30 May 1.76mg, 8 Jun 1.72mg, 13 Jun 1.66mg, 3 Jul 1.62mg, 10 Jul 1.58mg, 17 Jul 1.54mg

• Administrator

I've just seen that you have two active threads...I've joined them together.

Please post everything relating to yourself here.

Please don't send me PMs. I am not a doctor. My comments are based on my personal experience with ADs and tapering. Consult your doctor about your own medical decisions.

Start of taper: Jan ’22 Vortioxetine 15mg, 

End year 1: 4.5mg, 

End year 2: 2.38mg, 

Year 3: 19 Jan 2.33mg, 26 Jan 2.28mg, 2 Feb 2.24mg, 8 Feb 2.19mg, 29 Feb 2.15mg, 7 Mar 2.10mg, 14 Mar 2.06mg, 21 Mar 1.99mg, 10 Apr 1.95mg, 17 Apr 1.91mg, 24 Apr 1.87mg, 1 May 1.83mg, 23 May 1.80mg, 30 May 1.76mg, 8 Jun 1.72mg, 13 Jun 1.66mg, 3 Jul 1.62mg, 10 Jul 1.58mg, 17 Jul 1.54mg

I highly highly recommend not taking anything.

how long off the benzo are you?

I was forced mirt for aka after three months post K taper and it’s horrific.

tapered to 5.8mg from 7.5mg forced in psych ward in December as they didn’t bother to tell me aka is a side effect of mirt.

for those of us that have been on a benzo previously, it seems to be really not good so I would never take one pill if I could help it.

i understand the hell as I had a brutal taper, however if slowing down snd witching to compound liquid helped me until I crashed at very end.

not sure if you’re still tapering but benzo warrior group on facebook is a very supportive group no matter where you are with regards to benzo.

please utilize any and all coping tips and suggestions.

if you have to try something, try a spec of unisom for sleep- 5mg or so. Try .25mg of melatonin , kids Ollie gummy, cut one in half or thirds and see if that helps. Low low dosss of melatonin , ie 0.5mg or 0.25mg are what can help and people don’t realize e that tiny if a dose is what’s best for sleep

but if you do try anything, try very very small amount bc we can be very reactive post or even during taper of benzos. Even with supplements. 
Or hydroxyzine /atarax has helped some people with sleep and anxiety but best to use as a one off in severe cases….and again try a tiny tiny amount (I used it a handful of times to help bridge many 0hr sleep nights and used maybe 5mg) if you have to use something. 

things do get better. I am 9 1/2mo off K and I’d be doing so so much better if I never was forced to take the mirt and now have to spend a very long time with another horrendous taper.

if you can’t stand it and still think trying mirt is what you want, people have had some sleep help with 1.875mg and 3mg….. but even then have had a year plus taper.

so def don’t do the high doses- most is more sedating at low doses, ie below 7.5mg

thay means compound liquid or cutting and weighing pills if you have to then taper.

so again try everything possible to not take anything else for benzo wd symptoms.

i survived on 0-3hrs sleep for 3 1/2yrs… and at low low K doses good sleep came back

mirt had messed me all

Up now 

Prior to March 2020 - no meds in 37yr life., no anx or dep.

mar’20- hospital with Covid like sym- panic attack- adverse reaction to ceftriaxone AB-rash and tongue swelling

Never was covid, likely stomach bug

Apr ‘20- told see psychiatrist after hospital(didn’t know one panic attack shouldn’t) .75mg K and 5mg Lex

May ‘20- switched to 25mg Sertraline  mid June ‘20- .75-.625mg K by psych in week spiraled ended up in ER; 10mg Trazodone for sleep, tapered over 2wks

july’20- Sert taper 25mg-18mg - aka terrible didnt know what it was ;Dr change to 5mg Prozac- aug’20-tapered 5mg Proz next 4 weeks, 1/4 pill a week.

Aug’20- Sept 5mg ambien tapered off over a month in Sept 2020. 12mg Seroquel given and immediately tapered over 3ks in Oct 20. Jan ‘21- 2wks 10mg  Elavil for sleep; eye issues so CTd per Dr- 6wk Wd.

Mar’21- slow K taper .635mg to .005mg-Aug’23 ;may’22 drop .01mg/mo the last .16mg- severe acute, akathisia,in dark closet for 10 wks -eyes severe any light aka worse. beta blockers once -worse, spec clonidine-severe reaction. Severe SI and attempt - Psych hospitals Nov/Dec23- multiple meds one off, Depakote 10 days 250mg, ECt twice ugh muscle relaxer ketamine and propofol

12/2/23- psych hosp 7.5mg Mirtazapine for severe aka, myoclonic jolts, eye issues and no benefit . 12/10- forced 15mg 5 days, 7.5 since 12/15/23 .home 12/18. covid + 12/22/23. Neg 12/30. hell on mirt adverse effects(severe RLS, aka worse,brain racing/swirling, eye flashing, jolts) after dose

Comp liq early Feb; 6.1mg 5/10/24

Severe neuro issues, aka on and off

100+ symptoms thru K taper and on

6 hours ago, Boges11 said:

I highly highly recommend not taking anything.

how long off the benzo are you?

I was forced mirt for aka after three months post K taper and it’s horrific.

tapered to 5.8mg from 7.5mg forced in psych ward in December as they didn’t bother to tell me aka is a side effect of mirt.

for those of us that have been on a benzo previously, it seems to be really not good so I would never take one pill if I could help it.

i understand the hell as I had a brutal taper, however if slowing down snd witching to compound liquid helped me until I crashed at very end.

not sure if you’re still tapering but benzo warrior group on facebook is a very supportive group no matter where you are with regards to benzo.

please utilize any and all coping tips and suggestions.

if you have to try something, try a spec of unisom for sleep- 5mg or so. Try .25mg of melatonin , kids Ollie gummy, cut one in half or thirds and see if that helps. Low low dosss of melatonin , ie 0.5mg or 0.25mg are what can help and people don’t realize e that tiny if a dose is what’s best for sleep

but if you do try anything, try very very small amount bc we can be very reactive post or even during taper of benzos. Even with supplements. 
Or hydroxyzine /atarax has helped some people with sleep and anxiety but best to use as a one off in severe cases….and again try a tiny tiny amount (I used it a handful of times to help bridge many 0hr sleep nights and used maybe 5mg) if you have to use something. 

things do get better. I am 9 1/2mo off K and I’d be doing so so much better if I never was forced to take the mirt and now have to spend a very long time with another horrendous taper.

if you can’t stand it and still think trying mirt is what you want, people have had some sleep help with 1.875mg and 3mg….. but even then have had a year plus taper.

so def don’t do the high doses- most is more sedating at low doses, ie below 7.5mg

thay means compound liquid or cutting and weighing pills if you have to then taper.

so again try everything possible to not take anything else for benzo wd symptoms.

i survived on 0-3hrs sleep for 3 1/2yrs… and at low low K doses good sleep came back

mirt had messed me all

Up now 

Thanks for your detailed reply! Can mit be used on a very occaisonal basis at low doeses for sleep or anxiety attacks? I have heard some have had success withit in that regard. Thanks again for your reply.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I was prescribed mirtazapine and have been experiencing adverse start up affects. Severe agitation mainly. Will these effects level out? I'm on 15mg. Is it ok to just stop? If not how do I taper off? I must add I am 6 months off Valium and still in withdrawl which is why I tried taking it. Thanks

• Erimus changed the title to Jonwil: Considering Mitrazapine for Benzo Withdrawl.