Florencew: Need advice about Effexor XL

Hi. I’m new here. I was on Prozac for about 15 years on and off and my doctor switched me to Effexor XL 75mg because of sexual side effects. Anyway, it didn’t work. I was afraid to take it because of all I have heard about the nightmare of getting off. He wanted to keep upping my dose. I said no. 

I was on for 2 months and told my doctor to switch me back to Prozac 40 mg. His advice was for me to stop Effexor and just start Prozac right away. Yesterday I stopped and started back on Prozac.

Has anyone had a similar experience? 

• getofflex changed the title to Florencew: Need advice about Effexor XL
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello, and welcome to SA.  We are a volunteer-run community of people who have been or are getting off of psychiatric drugs.  The purpose of this forum is to help people taper safely off of psychiatric drugs.  Is this your goal?  

I will caution you that jumping back and forth on psych drugs is a recipe for a destabilized nervous system, which will cause lots of suffering and problems.  A lot of people get away with it, up to a point, but eventually, the nervous system rebels.  

Can you please give us specific information in your signature about your drug history for all drugs and supplements you are on and have been on, especially for the past 18-24 months?  Please only give us drug names, dosages, and dates, as best you can remember, in a list format.  Please read the link below for instructions.  

How to List Your Drug History in Your Signature

Here is some important information about how these drugs actually work.  This explains why we get symptoms from going off of these medications, and why it's so important to taper slowly and carefully, and be very cautious about changing our drugs and doses: 

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

Let us know how we can help you.  You are free to look around the introductions section, to see if there are other people in your situation.  

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly