Whattheheckhappened: What happened? Zoloft or lexapro?

Whatheheckhappened

Hi, I am new here! Not sure where to start but I need some advice, success stories, encouragement.

At the beginning of Jan I started on Zoloft for anxiety and slight depression. I started at 25mg for 5 days and upped to 50mg. Literally the day I started the 50 mg I felt great, myself. Surely it didn’t work that fast and maybe I never need the medication, just needed to manage my anxiety. Anyway, I continued on the 50mg of Zoloft for 3 weeks and then the anxiety set back in slightly. Felt like I didn’t recognized myself. My dr upped my Zoloft to 75mg and I took that for about a week but had emotional blunting so returned to 50mg for about 2 weeks, then down to 25mg. I wasn’t happy with how Zoloft was making me feel so I mentioned it to my dr and they prescribed me Lexapro. I was hestitant to start so it took about 2 weeks to make the decision. My dr informed me I could just stop my Zoloft and start lexapro the next day since they are both same class of drug.

I wish I had never taking the lexapro! I took my first dose and felt ok, until I went to bed and woke up a completely different person. I woke up with severe anxiety, no emotions (joy/happiness,content,love,etc), no empathy, intrusive thoughts, everything that made me ME felt like it died that morning. I thought maybe I just needed to adjust to lexapro so continued for only 4 doses and decided I couldn’t take it anymore. Resumed my Zoloft 25mg for 1 week and back up to 50 mg. Which did help with the intrusive thoughts and anxiety but still did not feel like me. Nothing feels real, I would wake up and feel like my life wasn’t real. Like this isn’t really my life, that something like this couldn’t actually happen to someone. I find it hard to connect emotionally to others. I use to be able to watch tv and be able to feel the emotions of the characters but I can’t anymore. 

This was 3 months ago, I have since then lowered my Zoloft to 25mg for 3 weeks and currently on 12.5mg daily. I thought maybe it is the Zoloft preventing me from seeing improvement in my emotions so that it was I decided to taper. 

I have had moments where it feels like some emotions want to return but don’t fully. And with each taper, the emotional numbness worsens before ever so slightly improving. Is this normal?? What happened the day I took lexapro?? Will this ever get better?? 

Edited by Catwoman73
Title change

Jan 4/2024-25mg zoloft

Jan 9 /2024-50mg zoloft (started working immediately and 3 weeks later anxiety and what i think was DPDR and OCD reappeared)

UPPED TO 75mg for 5 days but caused some emotional blunting so lowered back to 50 mg

50mg for 1 week, 25mg for 1 week

12.5mg for 1 week and then no zoloft for 5 days with agitation and intrusive thoughts so reinstated

25mg for 2 weeks, 12.5mg for 5 days

Mar 10/2024 introduced 10mg lexapro and thats when the hell started, woke up next morning after 1 dose and lost everything thing that made me me. No emotions, no empathy, DPDR, OCD, Quit lexapro after 4 doses

Reinstated 25mg zoloft for 5 days

50mg for 5 weeks

37.5mg for 6 days, 25mg for 3 weeks 

12.5mg Jun 2, 2024 (had a couple decent weeks Jun 12-24 with slight emotions and minimal intrusive thoughts until 2 days before my cycle and have not had any windows of emotion since.

6.25mg July 14, 2024

Also, I didn’t have the best diet and did not workout regularly for over a year before this. Started eating better and working on the exercise but it is hard some days with no motivation 

Jan 4/2024-25mg zoloft

Jan 9 /2024-50mg zoloft (started working immediately and 3 weeks later anxiety and what i think was DPDR and OCD reappeared)

UPPED TO 75mg for 5 days but caused some emotional blunting so lowered back to 50 mg

12.5mg for 1 week and then no zoloft for 5 days with agitation and intrusive thoughts so reinstated

Mar 10/2024 introduced 10mg lexapro and thats when the hell started, woke up next morning after 1 dose and lost everything thing that made me me. No emotions, no empathy, DPDR, OCD, Quit lexapro after 4 doses

50mg for 5 weeks

12.5mg Jun 2, 2024 (had a couple decent weeks Jun 12-24 with slight emotions and minimal intrusive thoughts until 2 days before my cycle and have not had any windows of emotion since.

6.25mg July 14, 2024

Posted (edited)

Hi @Whatheheckhappened- I love the name!

Welcome to SA- we are a community of volunteers providing peer support for the tapering of psychiatric medications.  Nothing here should be taken as medical advice, as we are not doctors.  However, the moderators here do have extensive knowledge of best practices for tapering. 

If you could kindly summarize your drug history in your signature, it would allow us to have a clearer picture of where you've been, so that we can help you move forward.  In order to do this, it works best if you are on a laptop or desk top computer rather than a phone.  Click on your user name in the upper right hand corner. Click on Profile, then Settings.  In the box on the left, you'll see a spot that says signature.  Fill in the drugs/dosages you've been on and the dates.  This helps everyone get a picture of you at a glance, so we can help you along on your journey. 

You have made a lot of changes in a very short period of time, and I suspect that your nervous system became quite destabilized when you started the Lexapro.  A direct switch from Zoloft to Lexapro could result in both start up side effects from the lexapro and withdrawal symptoms from the Zoloft.  Not a pretty picture, as you are now well aware.

I do believe you did the right thing by reinstating the Zoloft.  However, now that your nervous system is destabilized, you will need to find a dosage that you can tolerate, and stick with it for a while- perhaps several weeks to months- in order to get back to baseline. Every person is unique in terms of how long it takes to stabilize. How are you faring currently on the 12.5mg?  Are you functioning/able to work/care for kids etc?  Did you feel better or worse on 12.5mg than you did on the 25mg?  Please read this for further information on stabilizing after reinstating: How long does it take to stabilize after reinstating or updosing? 

Once you do feel stable enough, we advise a much slower taper than what you are currently doing- no more than 10% of the current month's dose- so as an example- 10mg-9mg- 8.1mg- 7.2mg- etc every four weeks.  Read here for more info: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

As for your question, will this ever get better?  Yes, it will!  There are loads of success stories on this site.  But it's going to take time and patience.  Let's work towards getting you stable, and then we can worry about next steps.  One day at a time, ok?  You've got this!❤️‍🩹

Edited by Catwoman73
Error

1995- 2007- On and off multiple antidepressants (Prozac, Paxil, Effexor, Wellbutrin, escitalopram). Memory poor- can’t remember dates. Always tapered fast or CT.  2007- tapered Wellbutrin, zopiclone and escitalopram over one month to get pregnant.  Withdrawal hell for many years.

2009- Daughter born 🥰 Post partum depression/psychosis- no meds taken.

2016- Back on escitalopram due to job change/anxiety

2022- Severe covid infection- Diagnosed with long covid 08/22.

2023- 01/23- Long term disability approved for long covid.  Started taper under MD advice from 20mg: 11/23- 15mg. 2024- March-10mg. Started low dose naltrexone for long covid-5mg- terrible reaction, reduced to 0.5mg.  April- 10mg escitalopram, 1.0mg LDN. May 1- 9.0mg escitalopram, 1.0mg LDN. May 15- 9.0mg escitalopram, 1.5mg LDN.  June 12- 8.5mg escitalopram, 1.5mg LDN.  July 8- Brassmonkey micro taper started.  8.4mg escitalopram, 1.5mg LDN.  July 15- 8.3mg esc, 1.5mg LDN.  July 18 8.3mg esc, 2.0mg LDN

Supplements/other meds: Vitamin D, B12, Claritin

I am not a doctor.  I don't even play one on TV.  This is not medical advice, but based on personal experience.  Please consult a medical professional.

• Catwoman73 changed the title to Whattheheckhappened: What happened? Zoloft or lexapro?
1 hour ago, Whatheheckhappened said:

Also, I didn’t have the best diet and did not workout regularly for over a year before this. Started eating better and working on the exercise but it is hard some days with no motivation 

Don't beat yourself up over this... it's in the past!  All you can do is move forward now.  I'm glad to hear you've started cleaning up your diet.  But I did want to mention to take it easy with the exercise.  When your nervous system is destabilized, intense exercise can make you feel infinitely worse.  Sadly, I know this from experience!  Walking, yoga, gentle swimming or biking might be a good way to go to start out.  

1995- 2007- On and off multiple antidepressants (Prozac, Paxil, Effexor, Wellbutrin, escitalopram). Memory poor- can’t remember dates. Always tapered fast or CT.  2007- tapered Wellbutrin, zopiclone and escitalopram over one month to get pregnant.  Withdrawal hell for many years.

2023- 01/23- Long term disability approved for long covid.  Started taper under MD advice from 20mg: 11/23- 15mg. 2024- March-10mg. Started low dose naltrexone for long covid-5mg- terrible reaction, reduced to 0.5mg.  April- 10mg escitalopram, 1.0mg LDN. May 1- 9.0mg escitalopram, 1.0mg LDN. May 15- 9.0mg escitalopram, 1.5mg LDN.  June 12- 8.5mg escitalopram, 1.5mg LDN.  July 8- Brassmonkey micro taper started.  8.4mg escitalopram, 1.5mg LDN.  July 15- 8.3mg esc, 1.5mg LDN.  July 18 8.3mg esc, 2.0mg LDN

I am not a doctor.  I don't even play one on TV.  This is not medical advice, but based on personal experience.  Please consult a medical professional.

Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate it! I will update my signature when I can. As for being on the 12.5mg, I have been on it for 10 days so far. Anxiety has increased in the morning, was irritable for a couple days which is subsiding a little and I feel a bit more numb than when on 25mg (but I felt this way for a little bit going from 50 to 25) so I am hoping to stabilize again on the 12.5mg and hopefully feel as I did on the 25mg. I am currently able to mostly function, don’t really have a choice but to, really. I try to stay as positive as I can but some days are harder than others. Just lack of motivation or the want to do anything. il I would much rather just lay in bed all day but I know that won’t help me at all. 
I wish I had never started on this meds in the first place but who knows where I would have been without them. 

Jan 4/2024-25mg zoloft

50mg for 5 weeks

6.25mg July 14, 2024

3 hours ago, Whatheheckhappened said:

Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate it! I will update my signature when I can. As for being on the 12.5mg, I have been on it for 10 days so far. Anxiety has increased in the morning, was irritable for a couple days which is subsiding a little and I feel a bit more numb than when on 25mg (but I felt this way for a little bit going from 50 to 25) so I am hoping to stabilize again on the 12.5mg and hopefully feel as I did on the 25mg. I am currently able to mostly function, don’t really have a choice but to, really. I try to stay as positive as I can but some days are harder than others. Just lack of motivation or the want to do anything. il I would much rather just lay in bed all day but I know that won’t help me at all. 
I wish I had never started on this meds in the first place but who knows where I would have been without them. 

Yes, please take your time stabilizing where you are.  It can take weeks to months to fully stabilize after a rapid taper.  Consider keeping a symptom journal to try to identify patterns.  Personally, I find my withdrawal symptoms tend to peak about about the 12-14 day mark after each drop, so I plan for that.  I don't want to have any big commitments on the more difficult days.  It is best to avoid things like alcohol caffeine, and recreational drugs while withdrawing, as they can further destabilize you.  But it sounds like you are already committed to self care, and that's a good thing.  

As for the lack of motivation, wow, do I ever understand that!  Most days, I am paralyzed at the idea of even making a phone call.  I always thought I was just lazy, but I'm starting to realize the impact these drugs have had on me over the years.  Don't be too hard on yourself- these drugs are so much more powerful than any of us were led to believe.  It can take a while to get back to our true selves. 

I completely hear you on wishing you never started on these meds, but also feeling that they may have saved you at one point.  I have similar ambivalence, and I know we're not alone in that.  I've found that it's best to look forward rather than back, however, and I firmly believe we will all come out of this stronger and more resilient people.  

Hang in there- we're here for you! :)

17 hours ago, Catwoman73 said:

Yes, please take your time stabilizing where you are.  It can take weeks to months to fully stabilize after a rapid taper.  Consider keeping a symptom journal to try to identify patterns.  Personally, I find my withdrawal symptoms tend to peak about about the 12-14 day mark after each drop, so I plan for that.  I don't want to have any big commitments on the more difficult days.  It is best to avoid things like alcohol caffeine, and recreational drugs while withdrawing, as they can further destabilize you.  But it sounds like you are already committed to self care, and that's a good thing.  

As for the lack of motivation, wow, do I ever understand that!  Most days, I am paralyzed at the idea of even making a phone call.  I always thought I was just lazy, but I'm starting to realize the impact these drugs have had on me over the years.  Don't be too hard on yourself- these drugs are so much more powerful than any of us were led to believe.  It can take a while to get back to our true selves. 

I completely hear you on wishing you never started on these meds, but also feeling that they may have saved you at one point.  I have similar ambivalence, and I know we're not alone in that.  I've found that it's best to look forward rather than back, however, and I firmly believe we will all come out of this stronger and more resilient people.  

Hang in there- we're here for you! :)

Thank you so much! 
Fortunately I have never used or experimented with recreational drugs and hardly ever drank alcohol. I don’t even consume caffeine on a daily basis. I don’t know if that helps my recovery at all but the only bad things I did for my body was eat more fast food than I’d like to admit and now SSRI. 
I know stabilizing on the Zoloft for a little while is probably best but I’m so scared that the longer I am not myself the more I am gonna forget the person I used to be and become this new person I really don’t wanna be. 
I’m not sure if this is DRPR or what but I’ve also noticed I cant really connect with my past memories (good or bad). I look at photos from just last November and I can’t connect to the feelings from those memories or even recognize the person in the photo as me. I don’t have any past trauma or childhood trauma or anything like that. The only time I have ever had a mental health issue was back in 2011 (3 years after my son was born). Had depression for about 9 months and tried 3 different meds, Zoloft being one. Didn’t have extreme withdrawals coming off or switching any of them.  Just so scared and confused on what happened to my brain this time. 

Thank you for taking the time to read and reply! Means so much!

Jan 4/2024-25mg zoloft

50mg for 5 weeks

6.25mg July 14, 2024

26 minutes ago, Whatheheckhappened said:

Thank you so much! 
Fortunately I have never used or experimented with recreational drugs and hardly ever drank alcohol. I don’t even consume caffeine on a daily basis. I don’t know if that helps my recovery at all but the only bad things I did for my body was eat more fast food than I’d like to admit and now SSRI. 
I know stabilizing on the Zoloft for a little while is probably best but I’m so scared that the longer I am not myself the more I am gonna forget the person I used to be and become this new person I really don’t wanna be. 
I’m not sure if this is DRPR or what but I’ve also noticed I cant really connect with my past memories (good or bad). I look at photos from just last November and I can’t connect to the feelings from those memories or even recognize the person in the photo as me. I don’t have any past trauma or childhood trauma or anything like that. The only time I have ever had a mental health issue was back in 2011 (3 years after my son was born). Had depression for about 9 months and tried 3 different meds, Zoloft being one. Didn’t have extreme withdrawals coming off or switching any of them.  Just so scared and confused on what happened to my brain this time. 

Thank you for taking the time to read and reply! Means so much!

This absolutely sounds like DP/DR.  It is a TERRIBLE symptom, and I can completely sympathize.  I don't think I've been fully connected to my emotions since I took my first antidepressant back in the 90s!  But I can assure you, you WILL be you again.   For motivation and reassurance, check out the success stories on this forum.  They keep me going on my bad days.  

I completely understand the urge to get this poison out of your body ASAP.  And I understand the fear of becoming a person you don't want to be.  I think we are all forever changed by this experience, though, and there will be a new and better you on the other side.  You can create that for yourself- see this thread for more motivation. 

Only you can decide how best to taper your meds.  Our guidelines are there because they are proven to work, and to minimize the withdrawal symptoms as you proceed.  I want to caution you against tapering too quickly however, as you cannot avoid withdrawal by doing so.  In fact, withdrawal symptoms can appear many months after stopping, even for those who had little difficulty with stopping their meds.  Speaking from personal experience- I tapered very quickly over a one month period back in 2007, and had seven years of withdrawal symptoms.  Not saying that to scare, just to inform.  These drugs are insidious, and can wreak havoc for years.  By stabilizing right where you are, and then tapering according to the guidelines we present here, you stand a much better change of a smooth recovery.  Whatever you decide to do, though- we are here to help you along, and support you in your journey. ❤️

57 minutes ago, Catwoman73 said:

This absolutely sounds like DP/DR.  It is a TERRIBLE symptom, and I can completely sympathize.  I don't think I've been fully connected to my emotions since I took my first antidepressant back in the 90s!  But I can assure you, you WILL be you again.   For motivation and reassurance, check out the success stories on this forum.  They keep me going on my bad days.  

I completely understand the urge to get this poison out of your body ASAP.  And I understand the fear of becoming a person you don't want to be.  I think we are all forever changed by this experience, though, and there will be a new and better you on the other side.  You can create that for yourself- see this thread for more motivation. 

Only you can decide how best to taper your meds.  Our guidelines are there because they are proven to work, and to minimize the withdrawal symptoms as you proceed.  I want to caution you against tapering too quickly however, as you cannot avoid withdrawal by doing so.  In fact, withdrawal symptoms can appear many months after stopping, even for those who had little difficulty with stopping their meds.  Speaking from personal experience- I tapered very quickly over a one month period back in 2007, and had seven years of withdrawal symptoms.  Not saying that to scare, just to inform.  These drugs are insidious, and can wreak havoc for years.  By stabilizing right where you are, and then tapering according to the guidelines we present here, you stand a much better change of a smooth recovery.  Whatever you decide to do, though- we are here to help you along, and support you in your journey. ❤️

Does the amount of time you are on AD make a difference in tapering, withdrawals and recovery?? I have only been on varies doses for almost 6 months.

Jan 4/2024-25mg zoloft

50mg for 5 weeks

6.25mg July 14, 2024

It depends on the person.  There are people who have had withdrawal after only a few doses, and people who have stopped relatively easily after years on a medication.  We're all different.  I will say that there is certainly increased risk of withdrawal with longer term usage. 

However- my specific concern in your case is the drug merry-go-round you found yourself on over the last six months.  The frequent dosage changes, with a couple of drug changes thrown in there as well- all of this is likely contributing to nervous system instability, and could put you at risk for worsening withdrawal symptoms, particularly at lower doses, and then subsequent protracted withdrawal, should you taper too quickly.  Unfortunately, I know all too well that tapering quickly does not make the DP/DR go away, and can make it worse, and longer lasting.  

Those moments when you feel like your emotions are trying to return, but not fully coming back?  I suspect those are windows- periods where withdrawal symptoms lessen, or even disappear.  This is the way our nervous system heals.  It is frustratingly slow, but if you are having these windows, it's a good sign that you have the potential to heal very nicely.  And if you take things slow, and keep yourself stable while you taper, you can expect to see those windows popping up more and more.  However, pushing too quickly can keep you in a destabilized state, and windows just don't come as often, if at all, when you are destabilized. If you want to understand more on the windows and waves pattern of stabilizing, click on this link.

Overall, if I were in your shoes, I would proceed cautiously moving forward.  I don't think you necessarily need to taper over years, like some of us who have been on these meds forever do, but taking some time to stabilize right now before proceeding would likely be very beneficial, and may give you a reprieve, in the form of symptom windows, to help you see that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I was wondering what thoughts were on emotional windows and waves been based around menstrual cycle. I have been having what I assume was a window where I was feeling ok, had slight good emotions I think and intrusive thoughts were easier to push away. I should be starting my cycle soon and today has been harder than that last few. More emotionally numb, returning of intrusive thoughts, feeling as to though nothing matters. I should mention, I did not have severe PMS symptoms before this. Thank you

Jan 4/2024-25mg zoloft

50mg for 5 weeks

6.25mg July 14, 2024

I just finished week 3 of 12.5mg Zoloft down from 25mg. For about a week I was starting to feel about 10% more myself and then 2-3 days leading up to my period, I feel like I am back to square one. Emotionally numb, crying spells, hopelessness. The emotional numbness is the part I hate the most. No physical symptoms at the moments. Can my menstrual cycle make things worse mental?? I did not have PPMD or any issues with my cycle prior to Zoloft. Thank you

Jan 4/2024-25mg zoloft

50mg for 5 weeks

6.25mg July 14, 2024

I just finished week 3 of 12.5mg Zoloft down from 25mg. For about a week I was starting to feel about 10% more myself and then 2-3 days leading up to my period, I feel like I am back to square one. Emotionally numb, crying spells, hopelessness. The emotional numbness is the part I hate the most. No physical symptoms at the moments. Can my menstrual cycle make things worse mental?? I did not have PPMD or any issues with my cycle prior to Zoloft. Thank you

All the answers you are looking for regarding tapering and antidepressant withdrawal are on this site. Please search around and continue to read as much as you can manage. Use the site search function to search for specific words or phrases, such as drugs or symptoms.

Active Monday-Friday UK time

Taper calculator spreadsheet

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

50mg - Oct 2020, 100mg - Dec 2020, 50mg - April 2021, 75mg - May 2021, 50mg - Sep 2021, 55mg - 23 Feb 2024, 60mg - 20 March 2024, Start tapering - 24 April 2024

Current dose: 55.09mg  (1 July 2024)

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

Cod liver oil, Magnesium, Vitamin C

I noticed bouts of PMDD when reducing Zoloft (sertraline). Not every cycle but many of them. I never had PMDD before. I did get PMS often. So in my case I saw a direct link to the withdrawal and hormone shifts. What is crazy is that lots of perimenopause/menopause, PMDD and SSRI withdrawal have the same symptoms. Super fun trying to figure out that mess🫤 one thing exacerbates the next and then I don’t know where to point my energy. And then it all comes back to claire Weekes. Try to float❤️

SERTRALINE current taper

Oct 10, 2021: 18.75 mg dose/ 60mg weight; Nov 7, 2021: 15.6 mg dose/50mg weight; Nov 21, 2021: 12.5mg dose/40mg weight

Dec 26, 2021: 9.4 mg dose/30mg weight; Jan 23, 2022: 6.25mg dose/20mg weight; Feb 13, 2022: crossover from 6.25mg dose tablet to 6.25mg dose/.31ml liquid; Mar 13 2022: 0.28 ml; Mar 27, 2022: 0.25ml (5 mg dose if my math is correct); Apr 3, 2022: 0.23ml; Apr 10, 2022: 0.22ml; Apr 16,2022: 0.20ml; Jun 5, 2022: 0.19 ml; June 19, 2022: 0.18ml; Sep 25, 2022: 0.17ml; Oct 23, 2022: 0.16ml; Nov 20, 2022: 0.15 ml; Jan 22, 20230.14ml; slowly decreased over last year to Feb 1, 2024: 0.10ml; Apr 28, 2024: 0.09ml or 1.8mg;

CURRENT SUPPLEMENTS

Daily: Magnesium, micronized Progesterone 100mg, .75 bioidentical estrogen patch

Periodically or as needed: Ibuprofen, Vitamin C, B-Complex, probiotics, Quercetin, Nasalcrom,  Stinging Nettle, Vit D, Fish Oil,

PREVIOUS DRUGS

SERTRALINE Up and down mess: (Oct 2019-July 2021): 2021, July 14: 25 mg, 2021, Mar 17: 18.75 mg, 2021, Mar 9: 12.5 mg, 2021, Mar 1: 25 mg, 2020, May 29: 37.5 mg, 2020, Feb 19: 25 mg, 2020, Feb 1: 18.75 mg, 2019, Nov 2: 12.5 mg, 2019, Oct 18: 6.25 mg 

ESCITALOPRAM (Sep 2017-June 2019) 5 mg, Final taper: 5 mg > 2.5mg, then 2.5 every other day, then stop)

16 hours ago, zma1 said:

I noticed bouts of PMDD when reducing Zoloft (sertraline). Not every cycle but many of them. I never had PMDD before. I did get PMS often. So in my case I saw a direct link to the withdrawal and hormone shifts. What is crazy is that lots of perimenopause/menopause, PMDD and SSRI withdrawal have the same symptoms. Super fun trying to figure out that mess🫤 one thing exacerbates the next and then I don’t know where to point my energy. And then it all comes back to claire Weekes. Try to float❤️

This is just so crazy, I was feeling the best I had in awhile for about 1 1/2 weeks and now it’s back to square one. I feel so numb, anxious, hopeless. I know this can be normal but I just need to be reassured I guess. I’m scared and so so sad.

Jan 4/2024-25mg zoloft

50mg for 5 weeks

6.25mg July 14, 2024

Me too. Im feeling scared and weepy and hopeless. You'll feel good again, and so will I. When Im feeling like this I cant imagine feeling better though that's what makes it so hard. But when theres a hormonal component like pms it hits like a ton of bricks then you slowly feel okay again. Sometimes it's like a light switch and sometimes it takes a few days for me to even realize Im feeling better. Im constantly checking my calendar when I take a down turn to see how close my period is, but that isn't really even reliable when your in perimenopause because hormones can swing wild at any time. Its exhausting. But trust that you'll feel ok again because you definitely will. ❤️

SERTRALINE current taper

Oct 10, 2021: 18.75 mg dose/ 60mg weight; Nov 7, 2021: 15.6 mg dose/50mg weight; Nov 21, 2021: 12.5mg dose/40mg weight

Dec 26, 2021: 9.4 mg dose/30mg weight; Jan 23, 2022: 6.25mg dose/20mg weight; Feb 13, 2022: crossover from 6.25mg dose tablet to 6.25mg dose/.31ml liquid; Mar 13 2022: 0.28 ml; Mar 27, 2022: 0.25ml (5 mg dose if my math is correct); Apr 3, 2022: 0.23ml; Apr 10, 2022: 0.22ml; Apr 16,2022: 0.20ml; Jun 5, 2022: 0.19 ml; June 19, 2022: 0.18ml; Sep 25, 2022: 0.17ml; Oct 23, 2022: 0.16ml; Nov 20, 2022: 0.15 ml; Jan 22, 20230.14ml; slowly decreased over last year to Feb 1, 2024: 0.10ml; Apr 28, 2024: 0.09ml or 1.8mg;

CURRENT SUPPLEMENTS

Daily: Magnesium, micronized Progesterone 100mg, .75 bioidentical estrogen patch

Periodically or as needed: Ibuprofen, Vitamin C, B-Complex, probiotics, Quercetin, Nasalcrom,  Stinging Nettle, Vit D, Fish Oil,

PREVIOUS DRUGS

SERTRALINE Up and down mess: (Oct 2019-July 2021): 2021, July 14: 25 mg, 2021, Mar 17: 18.75 mg, 2021, Mar 9: 12.5 mg, 2021, Mar 1: 25 mg, 2020, May 29: 37.5 mg, 2020, Feb 19: 25 mg, 2020, Feb 1: 18.75 mg, 2019, Nov 2: 12.5 mg, 2019, Oct 18: 6.25 mg 

ESCITALOPRAM (Sep 2017-June 2019) 5 mg, Final taper: 5 mg > 2.5mg, then 2.5 every other day, then stop)

36 minutes ago, zma1 said:

Me too. Im feeling scared and weepy and hopeless. You'll feel good again, and so will I. When Im feeling like this I cant imagine feeling better though that's what makes it so hard. But when theres a hormonal component like pms it hits like a ton of bricks then you slowly feel okay again. Sometimes it's like a light switch and sometimes it takes a few days for me to even realize Im feeling better. Im constantly checking my calendar when I take a down turn to see how close my period is, but that isn't really even reliable when your in perimenopause because hormones can swing wild at any time. Its exhausting. But trust that you'll feel ok again because you definitely will. ❤️

Thank you for the encouragement!! It means a lot. I just can’t believe this could happen to someone, to feel so numb to your emotions. It’s so crazy and scary. And to feel so good for over a week and then to suddenly feel this bad, it’s disheartening.

Jan 4/2024-25mg zoloft

50mg for 5 weeks

6.25mg July 14, 2024

This is just so crazy, I was feeling the best I had in awhile for about 1 1/2 weeks and now it’s back to square one. I feel so numb, anxious, hopeless. I know this can be normal but I just need to be reassured I guess. I’m scared and so so sad.

I just want to point out that you really aren't back to square one.  You are in a wave triggered by hormones.  I get that- it happens to me too!  And I'm perimenopausal lol, so I'm just all over the place. But you are not back to square one, because every day, healing is happening, even when you are having a wave.  Just keep being patient- it will get better! :)

Just now, Catwoman73 said:

I just want to point out that you really aren't back to square one.  You are in a wave triggered by hormones.  I get that- it happens to me too!  And I'm perimenopausal lol, so I'm just all over the place. But you are not back to square one, because every day, healing is happening, even when you are having a wave.  Just keep being patient- it will get better! :)

Thank you so much for the reminder!! I guess because I haven’t been in too many windows and waves yet. I’m terrified once a wave hits I’m gonna get stuck it in and a window won’t come. 

Jan 4/2024-25mg zoloft

50mg for 5 weeks

6.25mg July 14, 2024

Just now, Whatheheckhappened said:

Thank you so much for the reminder!! I guess because I haven’t been in too many windows and waves yet. I’m terrified once a wave hits I’m gonna get stuck it in and a window won’t come. 

This is such a normal reaction to a wave.  I'd be a rich woman if I had a dollar for every time someone thought they were going to be stuck like this forever!  You're doing great- just keep breathing, and repeating the mantra "I am healing" over and over.  You've got this!!!

11 minutes ago, Catwoman73 said:

This is such a normal reaction to a wave.  I'd be a rich woman if I had a dollar for every time someone thought they were going to be stuck like this forever!  You're doing great- just keep breathing, and repeating the mantra "I am healing" over and over.  You've got this!!!

I guess we always think we are the exception. I am really glad I found this site, it helps to speak with others who have or are going through a similar situation.

Jan 4/2024-25mg zoloft

50mg for 5 weeks

6.25mg July 14, 2024

Just now, Whatheheckhappened said:

I guess we always think we are the exception. I am really glad I found this site, it helps to speak with others who have or are going through a similar situation.

Yes, this is not my first time dealing with withdrawal, but it is the first time I've had any support going through it.  It does make a world of difference!

13 minutes ago, Catwoman73 said:

Yes, this is not my first time dealing with withdrawal, but it is the first time I've had any support going through it.  It does make a world of difference!

I made the mistake of reading on Reddit, and there are so many negative stories.

Jan 4/2024-25mg zoloft

50mg for 5 weeks

6.25mg July 14, 2024

On 6/28/2024 at 11:34 AM, Catwoman73 said:

Is to normal to have your waves feel different each time? One wave you feel more numb than the last? This wave I feel incredibly emotionally numb and unfortunately numb to the numb which is what I’m really not liking. I also feel like it’s even harder to connect to the emotions from past /events than ever before. 

Jan 4/2024-25mg zoloft

50mg for 5 weeks

6.25mg July 14, 2024

Is to normal to have your waves feel different each time? One wave you feel more numb than the last? This wave I feel incredibly emotionally numb and unfortunately numb to the numb which is what I’m really not liking. I also feel like it’s even harder to connect to the emotions from past /events than ever before. 

It is normal- symptoms do morph over time.  In the past with my rapid weans and cold turkey stops, my acute withdrawal symptoms were ALL physical, but my protracted withdrawal symptoms were literally ALL mental.  It will get better.  The windows are coming!  Just stay the course... I know it's hard to believe that things will get better lol.  You'll just have to trust me on this one!

22 hours ago, Catwoman73 said:

It is normal- symptoms do morph over time.  In the past with my rapid weans and cold turkey stops, my acute withdrawal symptoms were ALL physical, but my protracted withdrawal symptoms were literally ALL mental.  It will get better.  The windows are coming!  Just stay the course... I know it's hard to believe that things will get better lol.  You'll just have to trust me on this one!

Thank you for always responding so quickly! I’m obviously new to all this and so so scared. 

Jan 4/2024-25mg zoloft

50mg for 5 weeks

6.25mg July 14, 2024

53 minutes ago, Whatheheckhappened said:

Thank you for always responding so quickly! I’m obviously new to all this and so so scared. 

I know- it's very scary to be so out of control.  I try to look at my symptoms through a clinical lens.  I label everything is 'interesting' rather than scary/terrible, etc.  I do find it helpful to remove the emotional reaction by using the 'interesting' label... though it might be easier for me, as a former healthcare worker lol- I've spent my entire career analyzing people's 'interesting' symptoms!  But taking away the emotional labels starts to retrain your brain not to react so strongly to things that aren't going to hurt you- after all, you are safe, and everything that is happening to you is because you are healing, not in danger!  

4 hours ago, Catwoman73 said:

I know- it's very scary to be so out of control.  I try to look at my symptoms through a clinical lens.  I label everything is 'interesting' rather than scary/terrible, etc.  I do find it helpful to remove the emotional reaction by using the 'interesting' label... though it might be easier for me, as a former healthcare worker lol- I've spent my entire career analyzing people's 'interesting' symptoms!  But taking away the emotional labels starts to retrain your brain not to react so strongly to things that aren't going to hurt you- after all, you are safe, and everything that is happening to you is because you are healing, not in danger!  

That’s a good way to look at it! Thank you! I have yet to experience any physical symptoms. Mine as ALL been mental.

Jan 4/2024-25mg zoloft

50mg for 5 weeks

6.25mg July 14, 2024

That’s a good way to look at it! Thank you! I have yet to experience any physical symptoms. Mine as ALL been mental.

We're all different- my last cold turkey, acute withdrawal was all physical, and then my protracted phase was all mental.  It's so 'interesting' lol how different we all are!  🤣

On 7/1/2024 at 5:44 PM, Catwoman73 said:

We're all different- my last cold turkey, acute withdrawal was all physical, and then my protracted phase was all mental.  It's so 'interesting' lol how different we all are!  🤣

Question again! Why do some drs recommend altering days of meds while tapering? For example take one every other day. Doesn’t that prevent your body from properly stabilizing? Just a thought of today.

Jan 4/2024-25mg zoloft

50mg for 5 weeks

6.25mg July 14, 2024

48 minutes ago, Whatheheckhappened said:

Question again! Why do some drs recommend altering days of meds while tapering? For example take one every other day. Doesn’t that prevent your body from properly stabilizing? Just a thought of today.

We actually have a thread on this very topic- it's never a good idea to skip doses to taper.  That's what my doctor had me to with my last taper, and it was an absolute disaster!

Never skip doses to taper

1 hour ago, Catwoman73 said:

We actually have a thread on this very topic- it's never a good idea to skip doses to taper.  That's what my doctor had me to with my last taper, and it was an absolute disaster!

Never skip doses to taper

Oh thank you for the information! My dr recommended skipping doses when I’m ready to taper again and thought  “hmm that can’t be good for your brain”

Jan 4/2024-25mg zoloft

50mg for 5 weeks

6.25mg July 14, 2024

45 minutes ago, Whatheheckhappened said:

Oh thank you for the information! My dr recommended skipping doses when I’m ready to taper again and thought  “hmm that can’t be good for your brain”

My doctor keeps saying the same thing, even after I tell him how it almost killed me last time lol... that's why he is NOT managing my taper!

Hi, I was wondering. I didn’t have any issues while on Zoloft the first couple months. The emotional numbness, intrusive thoughts, etc started after my 4 doses of lexapro. People say it takes so many months before this improvement or so many months of that improvement. Would I count from my last dose of the lexapro (4 months ago) or when I started cutting the Zoloft (3 months ago) since all of my issues started with the dang lexapro. Just curious on others thoughts. Thank you!

Jan 4/2024-25mg zoloft

50mg for 5 weeks

6.25mg July 14, 2024

On 7/3/2024 at 5:00 PM, Catwoman73 said:

My doctor keeps saying the same thing, even after I tell him how it almost killed me last time lol... that's why he is NOT managing my taper!

The last few days have been scary for me, I’ve been more “zombie-fied” and empty. I feel like any empathy I had left is gone and I’m getting angry so easily. So scared this is the new me. I guess I just need some reassurance this is not permanent and hopefully just an unusual wave. Thank you

Jan 4/2024-25mg zoloft

50mg for 5 weeks

6.25mg July 14, 2024

I was feeling decent for a couple weeks and then my period hit. First week out so felt really depersonalized , and couldn’t focus or form a thought. That has improved but The last few days have been scary for me, I’ve been more “zombie-fied” and empty. I feel like any empathy I had left is gone and I’m getting angry so easily. So scared this is the new me. I guess I just need some reassurance this is not permanent and hopefully just an unusual wave. Thank you

Jan 4/2024-25mg zoloft

50mg for 5 weeks

6.25mg July 14, 2024