AmyLeah: Help with reinstating

Hi everybody 

I'm new here and after reading that if I want to try to re-instate to help withdrawals, I should take a much lower dose... I took approx 2.5mg Citalopram yesterday lunchtime (a 10mg tablet cut as best into quarters as I could... so one of the quarters (obviously not totally accurate!) but I felt myself feel worse not long after and continued to get progressively worse... like my ordinary withdrawals were all worse and then added to them muscle spasms and needing the loo frequently and complete insomnia last night. I'm guessing this was too high of a dose so I'd like to try again but with just 1mg instead. So I have just bought some scales from amazon which should be arriving tomorrow, so that i can get an accurate dose.

Sorry if this sounds really dumb but I am totally clueless and since the size of crumb of the tablet for 1mg will obviously be tiny - is it okay to just swallow like this or would I need to make a liquid with it?

Edited by Emonda
Name to title

Started Citalopram in April 2018 - started at 10mg increased to 20mg shortly after.

Tried to stop around March 2021, bad acute withdrawals so quickly reinstated.

Tried to stop again June 2023 after a fast one month taper, again bad acute withdrawals so reinstated.

Started tapering January 2024 - down to 10, then 5 then 2.5 over 3 months. Mild acute withdrawals during taper but then after feeling fine for 2 months, suffered protracted withdrawals since end of May 2024.

Started taking biotin prior to 2024 taper (for hair and nails) and have taken ever since

Took vitamin B, ashwaganda, magnesium glycine for a short time during 2024 tapering.

Supplements currently taking - biotin, magnesium glycinate (Re-started w.c 17th June)

• Emonda changed the title to AmyLeah: Help with reinstating
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello, and welcome to SA.  We are a volunteer-run community of people who have been or are getting off of psychiatric drugs.  You have come to the right place.  It does sound as though the 2.5 mg citalopram reinstatement was too high of a dose for you, and lead to nervous system activation.  

Can you please give us specific information in your signature about your drug history for all drugs and supplements you are on and have been on, especially for the past 18-24 months?  Please only give us drug names, dosages, and dates, as best you can remember, in a list format.  Please read the link below for instructions.  

How to List Your Drug History in Your Signature

Here is some important information about how these drugs actually work.  This explains why we get symptoms from going off of these medications, and why it's so important to taper slowly and carefully, and be very cautious about changing our doses: 

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

This helps you understand what withdrawal syndrome is: 

Video on Recovery from Psych Drugs

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Here is our topic on reinstatement.  

About Reinstating and Stabilizing to Reduce Withdrawal Symptoms

As you said, I would suggest you try a smaller reinstatement.  You could try the 1 mg, or to be cautious, you could start with a test dose of only 0.5 mg, just to see if you are OK on that, before upping it to 1 mg.   I believe that citalopram liquid is available in the UK.  I suggest you go with this - it will be very easy to measure the small, nonstandard dose, and it will be easy to taper in the future.  Use a syringe to measure the dose rather than a dropper.  Please give it at least a week, as it takes about this long to fully get into your system.   You can also make your own liquid with your tablets.  

Here is our topic on tapering citalopram.  It will tell you how to use the scale, should you decide to go that route. 

Tips for Tapering Citalopram 

Here are some techniques to cope with symptoms: 

Non Drug Ways to Cope with Withdrawal Symptoms

Stability is really important when we are tapering off psych meds.  Please read the link about stability:

Keep It Simple, Slow, and Stable

We don't suggest many supplements, but 2 that many of us find helpful are magnesium and omega-3 fish oil. Here are the links for info about those. It is suggested to add one at a time, and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 

Magnesium

Omega 3 Fish Oil

Please keep us posted on how you are doing. 

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

• Moderator Emeritus

P.S.  If you do switch to commercial citalopram liquid for your reinstatement, please be aware that the liquid citalopram in the UK is stronger than the tablets.  This link will explain more about that, and how to calculate your dose in the liquid.  

Citalopram Switching from Pills to Liquid in the UK

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

Thanks getofflex for your response.

I already tried to get citalopram liquid from my GP during my last taper but they would not let me have it. At the time I was taking 10mg (half of my usual 20mg tablets) and was told that if I'm only taking 10mg then I can just stop no problem. Had an argument with the doctor about it, explained about my previous acute symptoms when tried to stop - mainly the brain zaps and was told that I need to stay on them then and it's just relapse (same old narrative they tell everyone!!)

But anyway since my last post I have followed instructions off here and dissolved a 10mg tablet in 10mls of water and had 0.5ml so 0.5mg 24 hours ago with no adverse reactions.

I am just really stuck with what to do. I know that I'd need to keep taking this for a week now to see if it has any benefits for my WDs but I'm constantly backwards and forwards in my head about whether to just keep pushing through these WDs without anymore or whether to stick with the 0.5mg dose.

If i stick with taking the 0.5mg dose, and after a week, I notice improvement. What do I do then, just stay at this dose for a while? 

Started Citalopram in April 2018 - started at 10mg increased to 20mg shortly after.

Tried to stop around March 2021, bad acute withdrawals so quickly reinstated.

Tried to stop again June 2023 after a fast one month taper, again bad acute withdrawals so reinstated.

Started tapering January 2024 - down to 10, then 5 then 2.5 over 3 months. Mild acute withdrawals during taper but then after feeling fine for 2 months, suffered protracted withdrawals since end of May 2024.

Started taking biotin prior to 2024 taper (for hair and nails) and have taken ever since

Took vitamin B, ashwaganda, magnesium glycine for a short time during 2024 tapering.

Supplements currently taking - biotin, magnesium glycinate (Re-started w.c 17th June)

• Moderator Emeritus
37 minutes ago, AmyLeah said:

At the time I was taking 10mg (half of my usual 20mg tablets) and was told that if I'm only taking 10mg then I can just stop no problem.

I'm afraid to say that your doctor is wrong about this.  The vast majority of doctors do not know how to properly taper patients off psych drugs, which is why this site exists.  

38 minutes ago, AmyLeah said:

Had an argument with the doctor about it, explained about my previous acute symptoms when tried to stop - mainly the brain zaps and was told that I need to stay on them then and it's just relapse (same old narrative they tell everyone!!)

Yes, that is the arrogance and narrow mindedness of many health care professionals, unfortunately.  

39 minutes ago, AmyLeah said:

I am just really stuck with what to do. I know that I'd need to keep taking this for a week now to see if it has any benefits for my WDs but I'm constantly backwards and forwards in my head about whether to just keep pushing through these WDs without anymore or whether to stick with the 0.5mg dose.

I suggest sticking with the 0.5 mg dose for at least a week.  Be sure not to miss any doses, and take it at the same time each day.  

It is very important to be consistent!  This means not jumping around on our drugs, trying a dose of a drug one day, stopping it the next day, trying something else the day after that, etc.  That is a recipe for big problems!  Our nervous systems crave and need stability. You are free to just stay off the drugs altogether, of course, this is your decision.  

42 minutes ago, AmyLeah said:

If i stick with taking the 0.5mg dose, and after a week, I notice improvement. What do I do then, just stay at this dose for a while? 

Yes.  Let's just take this a step at a time, and see how things go. Generally if you feel about the same, or only a slight improvement,  we could slightly increase the dose in the future.  Please bear in mind that it can take up to a month or two for a reinstatement to be fully effective, so I would take things very slowly and give it plenty of time.