StrengthinTogetherness: Support needed - Severe withdrawal and reactions with reinstatement

StrengthinTogetherness

Hello everyone,

I’m writing on behalf of my brother who is currently suffering from both withdrawal symptoms and an adverse reaction from reinstatement. Your support will be greatly appreciated.

Current issue:
My brother is experiencing severe withdrawal symptoms after 5 months from stopping Prozac in December 2023 after a rapid taper. He was instructed to reinstate Prozac at 20 mg in June 2024, which caused a severe reaction, 3 weeks later, he reinstated his original dose of 40 mg, finding very little relief and still suffering from intense withdrawal symptoms. He recently started taking benzos along with 40 mg Prozac, and concerned about dependency.

Yesterday, he was recommended to switch to Zoloft, but given the reaction from reinstating Prozac, we are unsure of the best course of action to take.

Background:
He started taking antidepressants in 2003. He was on Cipralex for over 15 years with at least three attempts to quit, all resulting in major withdrawal symptoms. In 2020, a new doctor advised switching to Prozac 20 mg, then 40 mg. He stayed on that dose until deciding to taper in 2023. He managed to be off Prozac for 6 months before reinstating due to withdrawal, but still suffering with severe symptoms.

Support Needed:
We urgently need guidance on how to best manage his current situation. It is not clear what to do with the current reinstatement of the full original dose and what the best approach is when dealing with severe reactions. Additionally, we are unsure whether it’s appropriate to switch to a new medication to stabilize before tapering properly as recommended here. Any advice or shared experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Emonda
Name to title

- 2003 - 2020: Cipralex 10 mg 

- 2020: 6 months off Cipralex 
- 2020 - 2023: Prozac 20 mg, then 40 mg
- Dec 2023: Stopped Prozac 
- June 2024: Reinstated Prozac at 20 mg for approx 2-3 weeks (severe reaction) then 40 mg and Clonazepam 0.25

- 22 June Lustral 50 mg

• Emonda changed the title to StrengthinTogetherness: Support needed - Severe withdrawal and reactions with reinstatement

Hello @StrengthinTogetherness, and welcome to SA!  We are a community of volunteers providing peer support in the tapering of psychiatric medications, and their associated withdrawal syndromes. 

Thank you so much for completing your brother's drug signature.  I would strongly recommend he create a profile himself, so we can support him along his journey.  He must be feeling quite frustrated and despondent about so many challenging attempts to quit these meds, and I really think some peer support would be beneficial. 

It looks like your brother was on a relatively stable dose of Prozac for the better part of three years, and many years of cipralex prior to that.  This is a long time- long enough to have created a cascade of biochemical changes, and ultimately changes to our gene expression.  This is why withdrawal symptoms have been happening.  When you take away the drug too quickly, your body has no time to adapt to the changes.  Here is a couple of links to help you and him understand what is happening in his brain:

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

What is happening in your brain?

Reinstating is a great way to help reduce withdrawal symptoms, however, it has to be done at the correct dose, and tends to work best if done within three months of stopping the drug.  So finding success with reinstatement in this case may not be possible.  Read more about the timing and dosing of reinstatement here:

About Reinstating and Stabilizing to Reduce Withdrawal Symptoms

Some people develop extreme hypersensitivity to these medications after a rapid taper, even more so with multiple rapid tapers previously.  This is likely what happened to your brother.  Read more about this here:

Hypersensitivity and kindling

So when reinstating to reduce withdrawal symptoms, a very low dose is best.  Doctors are typically unaware of this, and tend to put people back on the equivalent dose, and when hypersensitivity occurs, they take it as a worsening of depression/anxiety, and up the dose, or start benzos.  This is a recipe for disaster, as you have discovered.  It looks to me like your brother's doctors followed this script, as we have seen many times on this site.  

We do not recommend using benzos/other psychiatric medications, alcohol or recreational drugs to deal with the effects of withdrawal.  You are absolutely correct to be concerned about dependency of the benzos, as this can occur very quickly.  Is he taking Clonazepam every day, or just intermittently?  Knowing this might help us guide him further. 

The question of what to do next is a tough one for him.  We don't want to change a bunch of things at once, as we need to be able to see the effects of each thing we do.  Please let me know ASAP how often he is taking the clonazepam, as this will help me with suggestions.  I'm also curious, when he reinstated the prozac, did his withdrawal symptoms get any better?  Or did he feel worse, hence the clonazepam start?  I only ask because guidance in this situation will entirely depend on whether or not he seems to be having a hypersensitivity reaction vs. the prozac is just not working for him anymore. 

Rest assured- we are here to help, and will try our best to find some answers for him.  I will also provide some links on how to cope with withdrawal symptoms, but wanted to get this info out there, since he seems to be suffering so much.  

1995- 2007- On and off multiple antidepressants (Prozac, Paxil, Effexor, Wellbutrin, escitalopram). Memory poor- can’t remember dates. Always tapered fast or CT.  2007- tapered Wellbutrin, zopiclone and escitalopram over one month to get pregnant.  Withdrawal hell for many years.

2009- Daughter born 🥰 Post partum depression/psychosis- no meds taken.

2016- Back on escitalopram due to job change/anxiety

2022- Severe covid infection- Diagnosed with long covid 08/22.

2023- 01/23- Long term disability approved for long covid.  Started taper under MD advice from 20mg: 11/23- 15mg. 2024- March-10mg. Started low dose naltrexone for long covid-5mg- terrible reaction, reduced to 0.5mg.  April- 10mg escitalopram, 1.0mg LDN. May 1- 9.0mg escitalopram, 1.0mg LDN. May 15- 9.0mg escitalopram, 1.5mg LDN.  June 12- 8.5mg escitalopram, 1.5mg LDN.  July 8- Brassmonkey micro taper started.  8.4mg escitalopram, 1.5mg LDN.  July 15- 8.3mg esc, 1.5mg LDN.  July 18 8.3mg esc, 2.0mg LDN

Supplements/other meds: Vitamin D, B12, Claritin

I am not a doctor.  I don't even play one on TV.  This is not medical advice, but based on personal experience.  Please consult a medical professional.

Hello @Catwoman73 and thank you for your support and information you provided

My brother asked me to write on his behalf because it’s difficult for him to do so. However, he has access to the profile and will use it when he can.

To give you an update on his situation, the day after I posted, he switched from Prozac 40 mg to Lustral (50 mg).

Earlier, he felt some relief from increasing Prozac to 40 mg, but as you mentioned it might have been due to the Clonazepam he was taking at the same time. He was taking Clonazepam daily for approximately two weeks along with Prozac, and now he is trying to take it only when needed.

His progress has been inconsistent—some days he thinks he might be doing slightly better, but the next day he suffers severe symptoms. His psychiatrist mentioned that it might take another two weeks for him to stabilize on Lustral.

He is still suffering and finding it challenging.

He is open to any suggestions you might have to help him feel better.

Thank you again we would appreciate your continued support

- June 2024: Reinstated Prozac at 20 mg for approx 2-3 weeks (severe reaction) then 40 mg and Clonazepam 0.25

- 22 June Lustral 50 mg

Hi @StrengthinTogetherness, and thank you for the update.

Did your brother taper at all from the initial cipralex or the prozac in Dec. 2023?  I suspect not, as most doctors are unaware of how tapering should be done in order to minimize withdrawal symptoms.  Most doctors recommend cutting doses in half, skipping days, or even worse- just stopping them altogether.  This is very likely to lead to very severe and prolonged withdrawal symptoms.  Here at SA, we recommend what is known as a hyperbolic taper from these medications.  This means reducing dosages by no more than 10% of the current dose every four weeks.  So as an example: 10mg-9mg-8.1mg-7.3mg and so on.  Click this link to learn more about hyperbolic tapering: 

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Here's my best guess re: what has happened to your brother.  I suspect he was tapered far too quickly from the cipralex back in 2020.  Tapering very slowly over a prolonged period of time is even more important when someone has been on the medication for as long as your brother has in order to reduce acute withdrawal symptoms, and reduce the likelihood of developing protracted withdrawal, lasting many years.  Read more about protracted withdrawal here:

Protracted Withdrawal or PAWS

He probably suffered with many ups and downs for those six months, all from unrecognized protracted withdrawal, hence ending up on Prozac.  This is a very common story around here, and I had a similar experience back in the early 2000s.  10 months of pure hell after a cold turkey stop on the advice of my doctor.  Your brother is NOT alone.

Again, I suspect your brother either stopped the Prozac cold turkey or tapered far too quickly in Dec. 2023.  After a previous rapid taper, this was likely more disastrous than the first one, as withdrawal does tend to get worse with each subsequent rapid taper or cold turkey stop.  

Unfortunately, the doctor then reinstated the Prozac at way too high a dose.  Reinstating is best done at very low doses under these circumstances, as it is VERY common to develop hypersensitivity to these drugs when stopped abruptly and repeatedly.  That would explain the adverse reaction.  Of course, the doctor would think that this is really an exacerbation of underlying mental health issues, and updose the prozac.  Again, this is probably the wrong move- if he was already hypersensitive, updosing would likely make things worse.  Drastically reducing the dose would have been a better move.  Read more here on hypersensitivity:

Hypersensitivity and kindling

So when that failed, the doctor switches him to Lustral (sertraline).  And he's still suffering.  This makes a lot of sense to me.  The revolving door of drugs with little or no tapering has likely destabilized his nervous system dramatically.  And here we are today.  

I'm so sorry he's been through all of this.  I want to be clear that he is NOT alone, and he is NOT going to be like this forever.  But he does have a tough journey ahead of him.  

Here are my recommendations:

His nervous system needs STABILITY.  This is important.  He needs to stop changing drugs and dosages, and just ride it out.  Probably for many months.  He can either ride it out on the Lustral, if he's managing ok, or if he felt better on the prozac, reinstate that at a MUCH lower dose, and ride it out from there.  Read here on reinstatement, if he would prefer to go that route:

About Reinstating and Stabilizing to Reduce Withdrawal Symptoms

He will need to hold steady on whichever drug he chooses for a long time.  Think months.

How long does it take to stabilize after reinstating or updosing?

If he is only taking the clonazepam intermittently, I would recommend stopping immediately.  I know this will be very hard.  The reason I recommend this is that taking clonazepam intermittently will only serve to keep his nervous system destabilized, and prolong the period of time it will take to stabilize, possibly making finding stability impossible.  We don't recommend taking psychiatric drugs to treat the withdrawal effects of other psychiatric drugs, as it just produces a situation where he will have to taper yet another drug, and deal with even more withdrawal symptoms down the road.  

While holding his medication, he should work on non-drug methods of coping with the symptoms.  Here are a bunch of links on non-drug methods of coping that we recommend.  I also enjoy gentle swimming, and any form of distraction.  

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Easting your way into meditation for a stressed out nervous system

Music for self-care

Ways to cope with daily anxiety

Change the channel- dealing with cognitive symptoms

Dealing with emotional spirals

It is normal to go through periods where you feel better and periods when you feel worse while stabilizing.  This is known as the windows and waves pattern of stabilization.  This is how our brain heals- in stages.  It is helpful to keep a symptom journal to identify patterns, and to look back on those periods when you're feeling better on the bad days.  There is always better times ahead when the days are really rough.  Read more about windows and waves here:

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

After many months, when he is more stable, he could initiate a hyperbolic taper of whichever drug he is on, though he may have to go slower than 10% every four weeks.  I am currently doing 5%- some of us just need to move slower, and that's ok!  This is a marathon, not a sprint.  Hyperbolic tapering is very effective in minimizing withdrawal symptoms- I am certainly doing much better this time around than I have with my previous rapid tapers and cold turkey stops. 

So that was a lot of information, so for now, I'll stop, and give you both a chance to process.  But please know, there is hope.  If you allow time to reach stability, your brain and body WILL heal.  We are always healing, even when it doesn't feel like it!

This is your personal intro topic- please post any questions/comments/updates here.  Don't hesitate to explore the forum- there is a wonderful section on success stories that can help with motivation.  And engaging with other members here is a great way to find support along the way.  We're in your corner, and here to help in any way we can.  Hang in there! ❤️‍🩹

1995- 2007- On and off multiple antidepressants (Prozac, Paxil, Effexor, Wellbutrin, escitalopram). Memory poor- can’t remember dates. Always tapered fast or CT.  2007- tapered Wellbutrin, zopiclone and escitalopram over one month to get pregnant.  Withdrawal hell for many years.

2023- 01/23- Long term disability approved for long covid.  Started taper under MD advice from 20mg: 11/23- 15mg. 2024- March-10mg. Started low dose naltrexone for long covid-5mg- terrible reaction, reduced to 0.5mg.  April- 10mg escitalopram, 1.0mg LDN. May 1- 9.0mg escitalopram, 1.0mg LDN. May 15- 9.0mg escitalopram, 1.5mg LDN.  June 12- 8.5mg escitalopram, 1.5mg LDN.  July 8- Brassmonkey micro taper started.  8.4mg escitalopram, 1.5mg LDN.  July 15- 8.3mg esc, 1.5mg LDN.  July 18 8.3mg esc, 2.0mg LDN

I am not a doctor.  I don't even play one on TV.  This is not medical advice, but based on personal experience.  Please consult a medical professional.

Hi @Catwoman73 Thank you so much for your detailed and thoughtful response. It means a lot during this tough time.

Yes my brother has tried tapered multiple times over the years while taking Cipralex, but his tapers were much too fast compared to the recommended approach here. Each taper was about few weeks to a few months, and he experienced withdrawal symptoms quite rapidly. As you mentioned, during these times, doctors often misdiagnosed him due to the symptoms from withdrawal and suggested he go back to Cipralex, often increasing the dose.

Eventually, a new doctor recommended reinstating but switching to Prozac in 2020 while he was going through a long period of withdrawal after stopping Cipralex. She assured him that discontinuing Prozac would be easier. When he tapered off Prozac, he found it more manageable compared to his previous attempts with Cipralex, although severe withdrawal symptoms still appeared months after stopping completely.

As for now, he has been refraining from taking clonazepam, but the past few days have been very difficult. He is not sleeping, experiencing a sense of doom, burning in his chest, heart palpitations, dizziness, joint pain...etc.

The switch to Lustral doesn’t seem to be working. Is this because it needs time for the body to readjust to the drug? This is what the doctor said, and he is recommending increasing the dose from 50 to 100 mg now

Can you please recommend what is the best approach to take now? Should he decrease the dose instead like you mentioned? What would decreasing the dose look like? When you mentioned he needs to stabilize, what would be the expectation? does it mean he will return to normal functioning, or that his symptoms will be less severe? 

Thank you again for your support and guidance. Knowing there are people like you out there gives us hope.

- 22 June Lustral 50 mg

1 hour ago, StrengthinTogetherness said:

Hi @Catwoman73 Thank you so much for your detailed and thoughtful response. It means a lot during this tough time.

Yes my brother has tried tapered multiple times over the years while taking Cipralex, but his tapers were much too fast compared to the recommended approach here. Each taper was about few weeks to a few months, and he experienced withdrawal symptoms quite rapidly. As you mentioned, during these times, doctors often misdiagnosed him due to the symptoms from withdrawal and suggested he go back to Cipralex, often increasing the dose.

Eventually, a new doctor recommended reinstating but switching to Prozac in 2020 while he was going through a long period of withdrawal after stopping Cipralex. She assured him that discontinuing Prozac would be easier. When he tapered off Prozac, he found it more manageable compared to his previous attempts with Cipralex, although severe withdrawal symptoms still appeared months after stopping completely.

As for now, he has been refraining from taking clonazepam, but the past few days have been very difficult. He is not sleeping, experiencing a sense of doom, burning in his chest, heart palpitations, dizziness, joint pain...etc.

The switch to Lustral doesn’t seem to be working. Is this because it needs time for the body to readjust to the drug? This is what the doctor said, and he is recommending increasing the dose from 50 to 100 mg now

Can you please recommend what is the best approach to take now? Should he decrease the dose instead like you mentioned? What would decreasing the dose look like? When you mentioned he needs to stabilize, what would be the expectation? does it mean he will return to normal functioning, or that his symptoms will be less severe? 

Thank you again for your support and guidance. Knowing there are people like you out there gives us hope.

I think this doctor is failing to account for the fact that there are ongoing withdrawal symptoms, all while he is trying to adjust to a new drug.  That's not surprising- there are very few doctors who even acknowledge that withdrawal can go on for longer than a few weeks.  I'm sure this doctor assumes that all the symptoms are start up symptoms from Lustral.  This is how we end up on a drug merry-go-round.  

It is very common for initial tapering from prozac to be easier, because it has a long half life.  And because of that long half life, it can take a very long time for withdrawal symptoms to hit.  This is yet another reason why doctors think that the symptoms are just a recurrence of the original mental condition- they just don't think withdrawal can start that far out from quitting a drug.  Sadly, we have all learned the hard way that they absolutely can. 

As I said in my last post, he really has two options now- ride it out on the Lustral, and wait to stabilize, OR quit the Lustral and return to a much lower dose of Prozac.  Neither option is going to be easy- there will still be withdrawal symptoms, but the goal will be to slowly bring them under control. 

Advantages of staying with Lustral- it's a known quantity.  He knows how he's feeling now, so there won't be any surprises.  It won't make him feel any worse than he does now.  But disadvantages- it might not make him feel much better either.

Advantages of returning to a low dose of Prozac, and dropping the Lustral- It is likely the rapid taper from the Prozac that is causing him the most difficulty right now, so reintroducing a small dose stands a better chance of relieving some of the withdrawal symptoms.  But the disadvantage is that it may also do nothing, or worst case scenario, it could make him worse if he's developed a hypersensitivity.  

Neither option is great, I know.  He will continue to have struggles either way.  But the one thing I do know for sure- increasing the Lustral dose is likely to cause more troubles than it's worth.  I think given how unstable he is, the last thing he needs is more drugs.

If it were me, bearing in mind that I am not a psychiatrist- just a lay person who has walked the path- I would likely discontinue the Lustral, and reinstate a small dose of Prozac.  Like 1-2mg.  He has tolerated Prozac well previously, and given that a large portion of his current symptoms are likely Prozac withdrawal, a small dose may help to relieve the symptoms a bit.  Going that low with the dosing is a cautious approach.  More is not necessarily better when reinstating, as he found out when he tried his previous dose.  Say he started back at 1mg of Prozac.  He would need to hold at that dose for AT LEAST a week to see how it affects him.  If he feels worse, it could be discontinued immediately, but if he feels the same or slightly better, he could slowly increase the dose- by 0.5-1mg at a time, until he feels like he can function a bit better.  

In terms of stability, most people do not feel 'normal' again until all these drugs are well in their past.  Even once you are off them, the battle isn't over- our nervous system can take a long time to fully heal.  The last time I stopped taking these meds, I tapered three drugs over a one month period, and I was seven years before I was fully normal again.  That's not to say that it was all grim and horrible- the windows got longer and the waves less frequent, and I was able to return to work, have a baby- live much of my life normally.  What we look for with stability is an ability to function in our daily lives, in spite of the withdrawal symptoms.  He will have windows and waves- this is actually a good sign that the nervous system is healing. 

It will likely take months to fully stabilize on either drug, but they key there is to stick with it.  If he stays with the Lustral- just stay on the 50mg for many months, and journal, tracking the symptoms.  If he chooses to reinstate prozac, monitor symptoms in a journal, updose by 0.5-1mg every 1-2 weeks until he feels like he can tolerate the symptoms better.  Then HOLD.  Likely for months.  Don't even think about further tapering for many months.  When he's ready to taper, we can talk about best approaches at that time. 

I wish I had awesome news about how recovery is just around the corner, but this really is a battle.  He is lucky to have you in his corner. I have done this with no support in the past, and it's truly awful. 

While he is struggling this much, I know it's a lot to ask, but starting to learn some of the non-drug coping mechanisms I provided links to in my last post would be hugely beneficial.  Or some of his own- like I said, I adore swimming... when I'm in the pool, I literally feel normal.  It's almost miraculous.  I'm lucky to have one in my back yard, and use it daily.  But even gentle swimming in a local pool during quieter times (a noisy family swim time would be terrible lol) might help.  It would likely help with the joint pain you describe at the very least.  If that's too much, I also ADORE progressive relaxation meditations.  Just search that term on YouTube, and lots of guided ones come up.  He may need to do them 10 times a day, but that's ok.  Sometimes it's about getting through the next hour or minute.  These coping mechanisms don't necessarily take away all the symptoms (though I am able to reduce my pain quite dramatically using them), but they give him tools he can use to help get through the bad days.  Which, in turn, will allow him to feel some semblance of control in a situation where there is just so little control. 

I hope my incessant ramblings are of some help.  There's no easy answers here, unfortunately, and the only way out is through.  He will have to endure quite a bit of hardship for the next little while, but I hope knowing that he's not alone is of some help.  Read some other peoples' intro threads- sometimes just knowing that others are going through the same thing can help a bit. 

Please let me know if you have other questions- I'm happy to assist! 

• 3 weeks later...

@Catwoman73 thank you for your support and providing all this important information and explanations. He’s now holding Lustral and stabilizing, now he mostly struggles in the morning and day time. 

- 22 June Lustral 50 mg

On 7/21/2024 at 11:10 AM, StrengthinTogetherness said:

@Catwoman73 thank you for your support and providing all this important information and explanations. He’s now holding Lustral and stabilizing, now he mostly struggles in the morning and day time. 

I'm so glad to hear he's doing ok, and working towards stabilization!  Great news!

It is absolutely normal to have times of day that are better and worse.  I think many people struggling in the mornings because we have a cortisol surge in the a.m. that is designed by evolution to get us up and moving for the day.  Unfortunately, when dealing with withdrawal, our bodies seem to misinterpret the signals, and we get a danger message instead, forcing us into a fight or flight state.  Of course this fades as the day progresses, and many of us feel much better in the evenings.  This has been my pattern for years!  What helps me is not rushing anything in the morning.  I guess I'm lucky, in that I'm on disability, and have nowhere to be, but it does help to move very slowly in the morning.  I often lie in bed for an hour after waking before I even try to get out of bed.  Depending how I feel, I sometimes just close my eyes and breathe for a while.  If it's a good day, I might read a book in bed.  If you start the day out with some sort of calming exercise like this, it can help set the stage for a better day. 

Keep us posted!  I'm always happy to hear when things are moving in the right direction, even if it's a slow crawl lol!