StrangeSQ: Introduction to this forum

I'm a 52-year-old male. After one day of death anxiety I developed stress-induced mechanical pain which led to a series of visits to various walk-in clinics. I came away with prescriptions of Lyrica and Mirapex. Lyrica to handle my mechanical pain (it didn't - Lyrica is used for nerve pain) and Mirapex (to handle my restless legs brought on by my stress and 200 mg Lyrica dosage). I've reduced both of those dosages to as low as I can using what tapering information was available at the time. (It wasn't a lot). I'm hoping I can receive more advice and encouragement here.

From what I've read Lyrica and Mirapex have both been used to deal with depression and anxiety. While I was prescibed these drugs for other uses I'm hoping to still receive some advice or direction from users of this site.

DRUGS

January     2024     Lyrica/Pregabalin 50mg ramped up to 200 mg (now at 90 mg)

February    2024    Mirapex/Pramipexole .125 mg, sometimes went to .250 mg (now holding steady at .15625 mg. - a pill and a quarter)

SUPPLEMENTS/VITAMINS

April          2024      Liposomal C1000 2000 mg (Vitamin C basically but better absorbed)

January     2024     Nattokinase 6000 FU or 300 mg (took this to deal with Long Covid symptoms and still take it just in case)

January     2023     Omega-3 Fish Oil 6000 mg (two pills following every meal) Updated July 7 2024, increased dosage from 2000 mg to 6000 mg

January     2023     Vitamin D3 50 mcg (2000IU)

May           2024      L-Theanine 450 mg (currently taking this at night for better sleep onset and sleep stability) Updated July 7 2024, added reason for consumption

May           2024      Magnesium Glycinate 180mg (currently taking this at night for better sleep onset and sleep stability) Updated July 7 2024, added reason for consumption

(If I posted this in the wrong section or in error please let me know and I will correct.)

Some basic bio. I'm a 52-year-old male. I live in Ontario, Canada. I've been happily married for nearly 24 years. I was a news reporter a long time ago. I'm now a commercial truck driver.

Earlier this year, after one day of death anxiety, I developed stress-induced mechanical pain which led to a series of visits to various walk-in clinics. I came away with prescriptions of Lyrica and Mirapex. Lyrica to handle my mechanical pain (it didn't handle it - Lyrica is used for nerve pain) and Mirapex (to handle my restless legs brought on by my stress and 200 mg Lyrica dosage). I've reduced both of those dosages to as low as I can using what tapering information was available at the time. (It wasn't a lot). I'm hoping I can receive more advice and encouragement here.

I'm not on any other medication and prior to my anxiety event in January 2024, I never took any medications. I'm very active, I do physio and exercise and am returning to my work place following some Covid complications (of which I have none currently). I've recently taken up meditation and am slowly studying Buddhism and mindfulness.

When I take my Lyrica dosage, twice a day, my symptoms are restlessness, a weird tingling in my feet and sometimes hands and a warm sensation in my face. I can stand almost everything else but the restlessness is very troublesome.

Also, my biology is sound. I've had every test imaginable (except MRIs) and all my blood and chemical tests are in the normal to good range.

I'm happy to chat with others. I'm hoping to solve some of my problems through advice given here. I'm hoping to find someone else who has taken Lyrica and maybe even someone who has taken Mirapex.

DRUGS

February    2024    Mirapex/Pramipexole .125 mg, sometimes went to .250 mg (now holding steady at .15625 mg. - a pill and a quarter)

SUPPLEMENTS/VITAMINS

April          2024      Liposomal C1000 2000 mg (Vitamin C basically but better absorbed)

January     2024     Nattokinase 6000 FU or 300 mg (took this to deal with Long Covid symptoms and still take it just in case)

January     2023     Omega-3 Fish Oil 6000 mg (two pills following every meal) Updated July 7 2024, increased dosage from 2000 mg to 6000 mg

May           2024      L-Theanine 450 mg (currently taking this at night for better sleep onset and sleep stability) Updated July 7 2024, added reason for consumption

May           2024      Magnesium Glycinate 180mg (currently taking this at night for better sleep onset and sleep stability) Updated July 7 2024, added reason for consumption

• Erimus changed the title to StrangeSQ: Introduction to this forum

Hi @StrangeSQ, and welcome to SA!  We are a community of volunteers providing peer support in the tapering of psychiatric medications, and their associated withdrawal syndromes.  And it's nice to see a fellow Ontario resident active on the forum!

Thank you for completing your drug signature.  If you are taking any supplements, please do add them to your signature.  Here at SA, we only recommend two supplements: Magnesium and omega-3 fatty acids.  These may be beneficial for you, but be advised- you should start with very low doses, and only one at a time.  While dealing with drug withdrawal, it is not uncommon to develop hypersensitivities to medications, supplements, and even foods.  Start low and go slow!

I'm so sorry for what you have been through.  You are not alone however- many here have experienced being prescribed medications to treat the side effects of other medications.  Sadly, pharmaceuticals are all modern medicine has to offer, and as you have discovered, sometimes medication causes more problems than they solve.  And most people find their way here after getting poor advice, or NO advice, from the medical community regarding tapering.  Unfortunately, our doctors have been told that withdrawal symptoms are 'mild and short lived.'  That's why forums like this exist!

I want to one thing before offering any advice.  I notice in your signature that your mirapex dosing is stated as starting at 0.0125 going up to 0.025... do you mean 0.125 to 0.250?  I think you may have added an extra zero in there lol!  No worries if you did- I just want to make sure that you haven't been on microdoses!

Here at SA, we typically recommend tapering one drug at a time.  The reason for this is that if tapering multiple drugs, it can be very hard to tease out what is causing problems as you taper.  I would recommend tapering your more activating drug first- in your case, this seems to be the Lyrica, given that it seems to cause symptoms after each dose.  Also, keeping your Mirapex dosage steady for now while you are tapering the Lyrica may help to reduce the symptoms you have from the Lyrica. 

We also recommend a much slower taper than you seem to be currently doing.  In general, we recommend 10% reductions of the current month's dose no more frequently than every four weeks.  This can help minimize withdrawal symptoms.  Yes, that means it can take a LONG TIME to get completely off your drugs.  But I can promise you, after many rapid tapers and cold turkey stops, slow and steady is the best way!  Here is a link specific to the tapering of Lyrica:

Tips for Tapering Pregabalin/Lyrica

We don't have any specific info on tapering Mirapex, but from what I can find online, the recommendations seem to be a rather quick taper, as is the case with many drugs that affect the nervous system.  We have seen over and over again that this can cause serious side effects, and it would likely be beneficial for you to taper your Mirapex with the same 10% per month guidance that we use here for other drugs.  Here is the link regarding the importance of tapering via this method:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

You have made a lot of changes to medication dosages over a fairly short period of time (yes, half a year is short in terms of neurologically active meds)!  You may wish to consider holding your dosages of both drugs to allow for some stabilization prior to resuming tapering.  

It is normal to have periods where you feel better, and periods where you feel worse while tapering.  This is known as the windows and waves pattern of recovery.  It is helpful to keep a symptom journal to identify what can trigger a wave for you, and to be able to look back and see how far you've come on the rough days.  But I can promise you, even while you are tapering slowly, healing is happening all the time.  It will get better!

In terms of coping with the symptoms while you taper, we do have some recommendations for restlessness- a weighted blanket can be helpful.  You may find some more info on this thread and the links contained within as well: Akathisia vs restlessness/anxiety/agitation.  Are you having any other symptoms?  If you use the search bar at the top of the page, and search any symptoms you might be having (make sure 'everywhere' is chosen in the dropdown menu), I can guarantee that you will find others experiencing the same thing.  You are not alone!  It sounds like you have some good tools in your toolbox already for coping- mindfulness and exercise are wonderful.  Be gentle with the exercise however- you want to ensure a healing environment for your nervous system as you taper. 

In summary- you may benefit from holding your taper for a while to stabilize, and hopefully start seeing some nice symptom windows!  When you resume, I would start with just the Lyrica, as the Mirapex will likely help reduce some of your withdrawal symptoms.  And consider slowing your taper down, and following the 10% method described here.  This will help minimize your symptoms as well. 

Overall- explore the forum, and engage with others here!  It really helps to feel less alone.  

This is your introduction topic- please post updates and questions related to your own circumstances here.  The moderators will follow your thread, and provide assistance when needed.  Most of all, don't lose hope- healing is always happening! ❤️‍🩹

1995- 2007- On and off multiple antidepressants (Prozac, Paxil, Effexor, Wellbutrin, escitalopram). Memory poor- can’t remember dates. Always tapered fast or CT.  2007- tapered Wellbutrin, zopiclone and escitalopram over one month to get pregnant.  Withdrawal hell for many years.

2009- Daughter born 🥰 Post partum depression/psychosis- no meds taken.

2016- Back on escitalopram due to job change/anxiety

2022- Severe covid infection- Diagnosed with long covid 08/22.

2023- 01/23- Long term disability approved for long covid.  Started taper under MD advice from 20mg: 11/23- 15mg. 2024- March-10mg. Started low dose naltrexone for long covid-5mg- terrible reaction, reduced to 0.5mg.  April- 10mg escitalopram, 1.0mg LDN. May 1- 9.0mg escitalopram, 1.0mg LDN. May 15- 9.0mg escitalopram, 1.5mg LDN.  June 12- 8.5mg escitalopram, 1.5mg LDN.  July 8- Brassmonkey micro taper started.  8.4mg escitalopram, 1.5mg LDN.  July 15- 8.3mg esc, 1.5mg LDN.  July 18 8.3mg esc, 2.0mg LDN

Supplements/other meds: Vitamin D, B12, Claritin

I am not a doctor.  I don't even play one on TV.  This is not medical advice, but based on personal experience.  Please consult a medical professional.

Thanks for replying. And hello to a fellow Canadian/Ontarian! (Is it Ontarian? Ontarion?)

I will hold my tapering to allow my body to adjust. I appreciate the advice. I've been perusing the materials and I'm surprised/not surprised about how long your nervous system takes to deal with changes.

I've started a symptom/withdrawal journal and have added my supplements/vitamins to my signature.

Cheers

DRUGS

SUPPLEMENTS/VITAMINS

I was surprised how long healing took as well.  But now that I've learned so much about withdrawal, I can look back at past experiences and clearly see how I ended up here.  That's my silver lining... I know myself better, I have more compassion for myself and my mood swings, terrible days, etc.  

Just FYI- I also have long covid, as you can see in my signature.  I've tried everything for relief, and so far, the only thing that might be helping is LDN, but the jury is still out on that one.  Of course, rest and stress reduction have been key as well!  I'm glad you've found some relief with supplementation.  Just be cautious if you introduce anything new- many supplements are very activating.  I can't even take magnesium AT ALL- I wake up every 15 minutes when I take it.  But I'm fine with B12, which is apparently very activating.  We're all a bit mystery lol!  

1995- 2007- On and off multiple antidepressants (Prozac, Paxil, Effexor, Wellbutrin, escitalopram). Memory poor- can’t remember dates. Always tapered fast or CT.  2007- tapered Wellbutrin, zopiclone and escitalopram over one month to get pregnant.  Withdrawal hell for many years.

2023- 01/23- Long term disability approved for long covid.  Started taper under MD advice from 20mg: 11/23- 15mg. 2024- March-10mg. Started low dose naltrexone for long covid-5mg- terrible reaction, reduced to 0.5mg.  April- 10mg escitalopram, 1.0mg LDN. May 1- 9.0mg escitalopram, 1.0mg LDN. May 15- 9.0mg escitalopram, 1.5mg LDN.  June 12- 8.5mg escitalopram, 1.5mg LDN.  July 8- Brassmonkey micro taper started.  8.4mg escitalopram, 1.5mg LDN.  July 15- 8.3mg esc, 1.5mg LDN.  July 18 8.3mg esc, 2.0mg LDN

I am not a doctor.  I don't even play one on TV.  This is not medical advice, but based on personal experience.  Please consult a medical professional.

Long Covid can be rough but I'm glad you found some relief.

I hope I'm not being too demanding but I have more questions.

Do you know where I can get drugs made into liquid form? What compounding labs etc? I was hoping since you live in Ontario you might have some knowledge of resources or people who can help me with the chemistry stuff when I do decide to begin tapering (again).

DRUGS

SUPPLEMENTS/VITAMINS

1 hour ago, StrangeSQ said:

Long Covid can be rough but I'm glad you found some relief.

I hope I'm not being too demanding but I have more questions.

Do you know where I can get drugs made into liquid form? What compounding labs etc? I was hoping since you live in Ontario you might have some knowledge of resources or people who can help me with the chemistry stuff when I do decide to begin tapering (again).

Not too demanding at all!  Questions are why we are here!

Personally, I'm making my own liquid formulations at the moment.  Here is a link to a thread on how to do this.  I am happy to be of assistance with the math if you decide to go this way, but are challenged with numbers.  No shame in that- lots of people here just don't have a mind for it!  Fortunately, I adore math lol!

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/forums/topic/2693-how-to-make-a-liquid-from-tablets-or-capsules/#comment-2679

There are alternatives.  If you have a supportive family doctor who will prescribe a liquid for you, there are compounding pharmacies in Sudbury.  Here's a link to one that I was able to find: 

https://www.sudburypharmacy.com/compounding

Unfortunately, if your doctor is like mine, and doesn't see the need to do a slow taper, because your medication is 'low risk for withdrawal' 🙄, you are better off making your own liquid, and just letting him believe you are continuing on the same dosages.  I don't like lying to my doctor however, so I had to seek other options. 

If you have the financial means, you can hire an independent nurse practitioner to manage your taper.  She can do the prescribing, and will follow up with you regularly to assist with your taper as you move forward.  I am currently using Monica Mina.  She is licensed in Ontario and BC, and does appointments via zoom.  She does offer a free 15 minute meet and greet.  Initial consultation is around 1 hour long, where she takes your full history- this costs $250.  Fifteen minute follow up appointments are $75- and 15 mins is generally enough if you're doing fairly well.  There is a bit of a counselling component to her appointments as well, which is nice.  She's a wonderful listener.  Can you tell I really like her lol?  Anyway, here is her website, if you're interested in pursuing that route.  She will send prescriptions to any pharmacy you like, so you could use the one above if it suits you.

https://www.mindfulmedicinebymonica.ca

Hope that helps you with some options.  It's unfortunate that it's this difficult, but that's the system we're dealing with right now. 

(I read some of what I could find on exercise on this site. They didn't seem to address my particular concerns so that's why I wrote this.)

Hi. What are the hallmarks of too much exercise? When I exercise I feel great. I have no negative symptoms when exercising and I feel positive physically for about an hour afterwards. I assume this is from the chemicals being produced internally.

My current exercises have me doing upper back and lower body strength training. I exercise about three to four times a week with rest days in between. I've recently stopped running due to flat feet (I'm seeing a foot doctor later in July to address this with orthotics). My last run was 2.4 km (1.49 miles) up hill.

Now despite the benefits I'm feeling, are there hidden things going on that could set me back? How can I determine this? What thing or things should I be paying attention to? As per this site's recommendations, I've started a journal of my withdrawal experience so I'm noting down mood changes, physical sensations, etc. Is there a pattern in my body I should be looking out for that tells me I'm exercising too much (or not enough)?

Thanks

Annnnddddd.....

How often should I post anything about my progress? Everyday? Twice a day? What should I include? How much info about me is too much?

DRUGS

SUPPLEMENTS/VITAMINS

Thanks. This is awesome information.

DRUGS

SUPPLEMENTS/VITAMINS

On 6/26/2024 at 10:38 AM, StrangeSQ said:

(I read some of what I could find on exercise on this site. They didn't seem to address my particular concerns so that's why I wrote this.)

Hi. What are the hallmarks of too much exercise? When I exercise I feel great. I have no negative symptoms when exercising and I feel positive physically for about an hour afterwards. I assume this is from the chemicals being produced internally.

My current exercises have me doing upper back and lower body strength training. I exercise about three to four times a week with rest days in between. I've recently stopped running due to flat feet (I'm seeing a foot doctor later in July to address this with orthotics). My last run was 2.4 km (1.49 miles) up hill.

Now despite the benefits I'm feeling, are there hidden things going on that could set me back? How can I determine this? What thing or things should I be paying attention to? As per this site's recommendations, I've started a journal of my withdrawal experience so I'm noting down mood changes, physical sensations, etc. Is there a pattern in my body I should be looking out for that tells me I'm exercising too much (or not enough)?

Thanks

Annnnddddd.....

How often should I post anything about my progress? Everyday? Twice a day? What should I include? How much info about me is too much?

You can post as often as you want!  I tend to write a short daily update, but it's more for me than anyone else.  It's a good place to be able to look back and see my progress, and maybe something I write will help someone else too!

If your body is accustomed to doing this intensity of exercise, and you aren't experiencing any negative effects, you're probably fine to keep at it.  I can only speak to my experience- I am a dancer, so I understand the importance you place on exercise.  It's a big part of my identity, and having to back off has been my greatest challenge!  I also have long covid, so I'm a bit of a complex case.  When I overdo it with exercise, I don't notice it right away.  In fact, I adore the endorphin rush I get during and immediately following exercise.  It's typically hours, or even a day or two later when the crash happens.  All my symptoms get amplified- headaches, dizziness, pre-syncope, chest pain, etc all get worse. My sleep is very often broken.  Muscles and joints ACHE... and I don't mean DOMS- DOMS is manageable.  I mean a bone deep throbbing ache that causes me to thrash around, unable to get comfortable.  It's a terrible sensation.  

Keeping a journal is the best way to notice these patterns, and you're already doing that.  Be sure to note the days that you work out, along with the intensity, and watch your symptoms in the days that follow.  I'm paying a heavy price today for too much exercise yesterday... so obviously I'm still a work in progress lol!  I could never EVER give up exercise or my dance classes, but I am working hard to find the balance, given my current state of health.  It's hard though- I miss the super active me that I once was!!!

Thanks for the information and for insight into your experience.

DRUGS

SUPPLEMENTS/VITAMINS

• 2 weeks later...

My Questions

How do I use a liquid taper?

How does a compounding lab create a smaller and smaller dose?

How do I get them to do it?

How do I use these prepared liquid doses?

How do I know these doses are measured properly? Do I just trust the lab?

Why I'm Asking This

Hi. I hope everyone is doing as well as they can be.

I've stabilized (I believe) my Lyrica dosage to where I get no adverse side effects from my previously too-fast withdrawal. I was dropping a milligram A DAY. Yowzers. Now that's fixed I've decided to concentrate on reducing my Mirapex (Pramipexole) dosage of 0.15625 mg.

Why?

I took the Mirapex to handle the RLS that I believe was being induced from depression, anxiety and my too-high Lyrica dosage of 200 mg. I've been on Mirapex for six months and I believe I'm getting augmentation from the drug. As I don't have a natural form of RLS I don't believe I require this dopamine agonist. I need to come off this drug and I hope by reducing my dosage following the 10 per cent rule I can also reduce my augmentation symptoms little by little.

I've read some stuff here about grinding tablets, preparing veggie capsules, micro scales, really thin spoons, etc. Should I go the dry grinding route first? Is it cheaper to do this first? Or should I go the other way, get a compounding lab to do liquid taper doses for me?

Any help would be appreciated.

PS: Should I just start my own thread where I just update my progress and ask these questions? Is this still the right spot to post?

DRUGS

SUPPLEMENTS/VITAMINS

I'm looking to start a spreadsheet to record my tapering progress/dosage size and linking them with withdrawal symptoms and their severity. I hope to be able to use this data to better plan my life. Like, once I've collected a month's worth of information I can better predict how the next month will go.

I thought I could do this on my own but I realized my spreadsheet knowledge is not great. Are they any templates anyone can share? That can then be turned into line graphs via a simple click of a spreadsheet button?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

DRUGS

SUPPLEMENTS/VITAMINS

Can someone help me with a math problem? I'm currently going through some ... issues and my brain is not working at 100 per cent.

I ingest four pills each day, two in the morning and two at night. I'm tapering off of these pills. I need to reduce my overall dosage by 10 per cent. Problem is separating the powder from the pills, right now, is difficult. I can't open them all and dump them into a container and then reduce the total mass by 10 per cent. I lose some of the medication at every step in the process. My goal is to reduce this loss.

Each of the pills' contents, the powder, weighs 0.096 g (I bought a Gemini 20 micro scale). How much of this 0.096 g do I need to reduce to equal a total 10 per cent reduction of all four pills combined? That's 0.384 g.

(Yes, this would be easier if I had a 100 mg pill to start with.)

DRUGS

SUPPLEMENTS/VITAMINS

Hi. There's a lot of humidity in the air where I live (currently anyway) and I'm finding the powder is sticking to the sides of my paper funnel.

Is there a link to buying a steel or glass funnel that's small enough to access a veggie capsule?

There's a bunch of funnels on Amazon but I wanna buy the right one. I don't wanna get a funnel that's two millimetres too big.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

DRUGS

SUPPLEMENTS/VITAMINS

Posted (edited)
On 7/13/2024 at 11:56 PM, StrangeSQ said:

Can someone help me with a math problem? I'm currently going through some ... issues and my brain is not working at 100 per cent.

I ingest four pills each day, two in the morning and two at night. I'm tapering off of these pills. I need to reduce my overall dosage by 10 per cent. Problem is separating the powder from the pills, right now, is difficult. I can't open them all and dump them into a container and then reduce the total mass by 10 per cent. I lose some of the medication at every step in the process. My goal is to reduce this loss.

Each of the pills' contents, the powder, weighs 0.096 g (I bought a Gemini 20 micro scale). How much of this 0.096 g do I need to reduce to equal a total 10 per cent reduction of all four pills combined? That's 0.384 g.

(Yes, this would be easier if I had a 100 mg pill to start with.)

To reduce your total dose by 10% would involve reducing each individual dose by 2.5%. To calculate this would be: 0.096 * 0.975 = 0.0936 = 0.0934g (3 d.p.)

Which drug is this for, what is the dose of each pill, and what is your current total dose?

Edited by Erimus

Active Monday-Friday UK time

Taper calculator spreadsheet

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

50mg - Oct 2020, 100mg - Dec 2020, 50mg - April 2021, 75mg - May 2021, 50mg - Sep 2021, 55mg - 23 Feb 2024, 60mg - 20 March 2024, Start tapering - 24 April 2024

Current dose: 55.09mg  (1 July 2024)

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

Cod liver oil, Magnesium, Vitamin C

18 hours ago, StrangeSQ said:

Hi. There's a lot of humidity in the air where I live (currently anyway) and I'm finding the powder is sticking to the sides of my paper funnel.

Is there a link to buying a steel or glass funnel that's small enough to access a veggie capsule?

There's a bunch of funnels on Amazon but I wanna buy the right one. I don't wanna get a funnel that's two millimetres too big.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

I bought one from Ebay, and use it in combination with the largest capsule size (000)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334364172718

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

50mg - Oct 2020, 100mg - Dec 2020, 50mg - April 2021, 75mg - May 2021, 50mg - Sep 2021, 55mg - 23 Feb 2024, 60mg - 20 March 2024, Start tapering - 24 April 2024

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

1 hour ago, Erimus said:

To reduce your total dose by 10% would involve reducing each individual dose by 2.5%. To calculate this would be: 0.096 * 0.975 = 0.0936 = 0.0934g (3 d.p.)

Which drug is this for, what is the dose of each pill, and what is your current total dose?

Ah. Thanks. Oh, right. This is for Lyrica (pregabalin). And my current total dose is 90 mg of Lyrica (split in half - taking one dose in the morning and one dose in the evening.)

DRUGS

SUPPLEMENTS/VITAMINS

1 hour ago, StrangeSQ said:

Ah. Thanks. Oh, right. This is for Lyrica (pregabalin). And my current total dose is 90 mg of Lyrica (split in half - taking one dose in the morning and one dose in the evening.)

You mentioned above four doses, is that because you split each drug into a morning and evening dose? Surely the two different drugs do not have the same weight of 0.096g.

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

Oh. I solved my math problem. Thanks for the assistance. And thanks for the Ebay recommedation.

DRUGS

SUPPLEMENTS/VITAMINS

Hi StrangeSQ- sorry I missed all this- I was away on vacation!  Glad you got it sorted with Erimus' assistance!

I'm not much of a computer nerd, so spreadsheets are definitely not my strength either, but perhaps you could find something useful in this thread:

How to Calculate Dosages and Dilutions, Spreadsheets and Calculators