Sam29: Extreme Sound Sensitivity/ Reinstatement to solve issue?

Hi! I'm currently 8.5 months off the failed miserable 2nd attempt to go back on meds (started at high doses for reinstatement, ughhh) after being on Cymbalta 60mg for 18 years. I I have defiantly been kindled which has led to severe auditory issues (tinnitus, hyperacusis, and extreme sound sensitivity). The main withdrawal symptom that is extremely bothersome is sound sensitivity which just started may 1, 2024 I'm basically sensitive to most sounds.  Sound is triggering anxiety in my body. White noise in particular causes more anxiety and panic. I can only drive for 30 min before my body breaks down from the noise. I can't be in a room with AC or Heat turned on for more then 30min because of the noise. Generator noise/refer noise is awful.  If I play waterfall or rain sounds on my phone my body goes into fight and flight after 20 min. Right now I wear ear plugs and noise cancelling ear plugs for a lot of the day.  This is really the only WD symptom that really kills me.  My nervous system isn't all the way back but I feel I would be ok if this sound stuff was gone. Would going on a small reinstatement dose be worth it to eliminate this sound sensitivity  issue? Are there other medications for this? Will this eventually go away? I really can't live freely with all sounds triggering my body.  I feel with the kindling issue that I'm completely screwed because of the horrible reinstatement advice. I feel like my brain is really messed up and can't filter sound correctly.   So lucky to have found this site. 

Background.docx

Jan 1 2005 -jan1  2023 Cymbalta 60mg Fast taper down to 50mg 2 weeks then 40 mg 1 week (heart Palpitations told to stop medication, Basically cold turkey after 18 years (anger,rage, panic-WD symptoms

April 10th-13 2023 (first attempt at reinstatement ) – 5mg Prozac attempt to try new drug was told my anger and panic was not withdrawal and I needed to be on medication. Adverse effects of medication stopped after 4 days

Aug 8th-10th 2023 (2nd Attempt at reinstatement) Buspar 7.5 mg (new doctor) still told I wasn’t in W/D. Adverse side effects so stopped

Aug 15th-Aug 28th  2023 Lexapro 10mg. Having adverse effects was told to push through them by doctor so I did

Aug 29th Oct 3rd – Cymbalta 60 mg for 2 weeks adverse effects, tapered to 30mg 1 week, then 20mg 1 week then 10mg 1 day. Doctor again told me to push through even though I was having adverse effects.

Oct 5th- tinnitus starts, Hyperacusis 1 month later, anger and panic hit a couple weeks after

May 1 2024 severe sound sensitivity starts

Hi! I'm currently 8.5 months off the failed miserable 2nd attempt to go back on meds (started at high doses for reinstatement, ughhh) after being on Cymbalta 60mg for 18 years. I I have defiantly been kindled which has led to severe auditory issues (tinnitus, hyperacusis, and extreme sound sensitivity). The main withdrawal symptom that is extremely bothersome is sound sensitivity which just started may 1, 2024 I'm basically sensitive to most sounds.  Sound is triggering anxiety in my body. White noise in particular causes more anxiety and panic. I can only drive for 30 min before my body breaks down from the noise. I can't be in a room with AC or Heat turned on for more then 30min because of the noise. Generator noise/refer noise is awful.  If I play waterfall or rain sounds on my phone my body goes into fight and flight after 20 min. Right now I wear ear plugs and noise cancelling ear plugs for a lot of the day.  This is really the only WD symptom that really kills me.  My nervous system isn't all the way back but I feel I would be ok if this sound stuff was gone. Would going on a small reinstatement dose be worth it to eliminate this sound sensitivity  issue? Are there other medications for this? Will this eventually go away? I really can't live freely with all sounds triggering my body.  I feel with the kindling issue that I'm completely screwed because of the horrible reinstatement advice. I feel like my brain is really messed up and can't filter sound correctly.   So lucky to have found this site. 

Jan 1 2005 -jan1  2023 Cymbalta 60mg Fast taper down to 50mg 2 weeks then 40 mg 1 week (heart Palpitations told to stop medication, Basically cold turkey after 18 years (anger,rage, panic-WD symptoms

April 10th-13 2023 (first attempt at reinstatement ) – 5mg Prozac attempt to try new drug was told my anger and panic was not withdrawal and I needed to be on medication. Adverse effects of medication stopped after 4 days

Aug 8th-10th 2023 (2nd Attempt at reinstatement) Buspar 7.5 mg (new doctor) still told I wasn’t in W/D. Adverse side effects so stopped

Aug 15th-Aug 28th  2023 Lexapro 10mg. Having adverse effects was told to push through them by doctor so I did

Aug 29th Oct 3rd – Cymbalta 60 mg for 2 weeks adverse effects, tapered to 30mg 1 week, then 20mg 1 week then 10mg 1 day. Doctor again told me to push through even though I was having adverse effects.

Oct 5th- tinnitus starts, Hyperacusis 1 month later, anger and panic hit a couple weeks after

Hi. I posted again with my notes at the bottom that would make it easier for people to read versus an attachment. thanks:)

• Erimus changed the title to Sam29: Extreme Sound Sensitivity/ Reinstatement to solve issue?

Hi @Sam29 and welcome to SA!  We are a community of volunteers providing peer support in the tapering of psychiatric medications and their associated withdrawal syndromes.  

If you could kindly move your notes section above to your drug signature by clicking the following link, we would greatly appreciate it.  This would put ensure that your history appears at the bottom of everything you post, so that others visiting your thread can know what you have been through at a glance.  You can update your signature if/when you make any changes.

Drug signature

It looks like you are already quite aware of many of the things we would typically provide links to in our initial welcome post.  You are aware that you have tapered too quickly, and you are aware that you likely reinstated too high, leading to kindling.  I'm so sorry that you've been through this- sadly, you are absolutely not alone.  I would hazard a guess that most members are here because of a history of bad advice from our medical practitioners.  If you want to find others who have sound sensitivity as well, just type 'sound sensitivity' in the search bar at the top of the page, ensure that 'everywhere' is selected in the dropdown menu, and I promise you'll get a long list of threads where people are struggling.  I'm one of them!

This is a very tough symptom to deal with, and you've already discovered that magic of noise cancelling earplugs/headphones.  Unfortunately, there are no magic bullets here.  Time is the answer.  It will get better, but with all your nervous system has been through, based on your reported history, it is likely going to take a while. 

With respect to reinstating a small dose of Cymbalta, you could certainly try, but you are not in the ideal window for this, having been off for 8 1/2 months.  Reinstatement is most likely to be successful within the first three months off a drug.  I do worry that you might have an adverse reaction, given your history, so I would start very slow if you do decide to give it a go.  Maybe as low as 1mg (which is only 1.6% of your original dose) would be a good place to start.  If you have an adverse reaction, stop immediately!  Otherwise, I would hold there for at least a couple of weeks.  Keep a symptom journal, and rate your symptoms on a scale of 1-10 every day.  This will help you see where you're at.  At the end of a couple of weeks, if you are slowly improving, or if you are no better but no worse, you could updose a small amount.  Moving slow and steady is the way!  Here are our threads with advice on reinstating:

Reinstatement: About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

How long does it take to stabilize after reinstating or updosing?

Regardless of whether or not you choose to reinstate, you do have to deal with this unpleasantness.  We don't recommend taking a new psychiatric medication to mitigate the withdrawal of a psychiatric medication- this could create a lot of problems, and leave you with another drug you need to taper down the road.  So what you are left with is non-drug coping techniques.  You have already discovered the noise cancelling earplugs for your worst symptom- keep that up, and be patient.  It WILL get better with time. 

In terms of coping with anger, panic and other emotional symptoms, I will provide a few links to things that help for many people.  In addition to these links, you may find your own ways of managing with a bit of experimentation.  I've recently discovered the magic of swimming for my physical symptoms- the weightlessness is an absolute dream for the muscle and joint pain!  If you do find something that helps you, do share it here- so many people are looking for a lifeline, and you may just have it!

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Easing your way into meditation for a stressed-out nervous system

Music for self-care: calms hyperalertness, anxiety, aids relaxation and sleep (May not be the best one for you, but maybe you could find something that is non-stimulating)

Ways to cope with daily anxiety

It is normal to experience periods where you feel a bit better during your journey, mixed in with periods where your symptoms are just terrible.  This is known as the Windows and waves pattern of stabilization.  Keeping a symptom journal is very helpful in identifying patterns of when you feel your best and your worst, and helping you see how far you've come as time progresses. 

Most of all, it's going to take time and patience.  Think months not weeks.  For some of us, years.  But the overall trajectory is upwards.

Are We There Yet? How Long is Withdrawal Going to Take?

In summary, you could certainly try a very small reinstatement, if you wish, though you have been drug free long enough that there are risks- at best, it won't work, at worst, you could have an adverse reaction.  The choice is absolutely yours.  We will support you either way.  It is not a magic bullet however, and even if it does work, it's really important to start experimenting with non-drug methods of coping to find something that will serve to help calm your nervous system.  And you will need to take things one day-one minute!- at a time.  I can assure you that healing is always happening, even when you can't sense it.  

This is your introduction topic- please post questions and updates here so we can help you along your journey.  And if you wish, it's always nice to engage with the other members on the site.  Withdrawal is much easier to tolerate when you don't feel so alone. 

Hang in there @Sam29!  You can get through this! ❤️‍🩹

1995- 2007- On and off multiple antidepressants (Prozac, Paxil, Effexor, Wellbutrin, escitalopram). Memory poor- can’t remember dates. Always tapered fast or CT.  2007- tapered Wellbutrin, zopiclone and escitalopram over one month to get pregnant.  Withdrawal hell for many years.

2009- Daughter born 🥰 Post partum depression/psychosis- no meds taken.

2016- Back on escitalopram due to job change/anxiety

2022- Severe covid infection- Diagnosed with long covid 08/22.

2023- 01/23- Long term disability approved for long covid.  Started taper under MD advice from 20mg: 11/23- 15mg. 2024- March-10mg. Started low dose naltrexone for long covid-5mg- terrible reaction, reduced to 0.5mg.  April- 10mg escitalopram, 1.0mg LDN. May 1- 9.0mg escitalopram, 1.0mg LDN. May 15- 9.0mg escitalopram, 1.5mg LDN.  June 12- 8.5mg escitalopram, 1.5mg LDN.  July 8- Brassmonkey micro taper started.  8.4mg escitalopram, 1.5mg LDN.  July 15- 8.3mg esc, 1.5mg LDN.  July 18 8.3mg esc, 2.0mg LDN

Supplements/other meds: Vitamin D, B12, Claritin

I am not a doctor.  I don't even play one on TV.  This is not medical advice, but based on personal experience.  Please consult a medical professional.

Thanks for the response:) Assuming reinstating at this point won't help the sound issues? Those I will have to deal with whether I reinstate or not.  I've heard Beta Blockers can help? thanks:)

Hi @Sam29- you may or may not have any luck reducing this symptom with a reinstatement.  It's risky though, with your history, having been off for so long, and showing signs of hypersensitivity.  But reinstatement, when it works, CAN take time.  Sometimes a long time.  You won't necessarily see relief right away, and may have to updose repeatedly to get any relief... and then you will have to taper all over again.  Only you can decide if it's worth the risk. 

As for beta blockers- I would be very careful there.  They also need to be tapered, a LOT slower than what doctors would have you believe.  And of course, if you are taking beta blockers off-label, they still affect your cardiovascular system, and you may find yourself dealing with severe dizzy spells or vertigo from the reduction in blood pressure, pounding heart, etc.  Very unpleasant.  You would basically be trading one problem for another- IF it even helped.  Here are a couple of threads on beta blockers to help you make a decision whether or not it's worth pursuing: 

Tapering beta blockers or alpha blockers

Tips for tapering off propranolol

1995- 2007- On and off multiple antidepressants (Prozac, Paxil, Effexor, Wellbutrin, escitalopram). Memory poor- can’t remember dates. Always tapered fast or CT.  2007- tapered Wellbutrin, zopiclone and escitalopram over one month to get pregnant.  Withdrawal hell for many years.

2009- Daughter born 🥰 Post partum depression/psychosis- no meds taken.

2016- Back on escitalopram due to job change/anxiety

2022- Severe covid infection- Diagnosed with long covid 08/22.

2023- 01/23- Long term disability approved for long covid.  Started taper under MD advice from 20mg: 11/23- 15mg. 2024- March-10mg. Started low dose naltrexone for long covid-5mg- terrible reaction, reduced to 0.5mg.  April- 10mg escitalopram, 1.0mg LDN. May 1- 9.0mg escitalopram, 1.0mg LDN. May 15- 9.0mg escitalopram, 1.5mg LDN.  June 12- 8.5mg escitalopram, 1.5mg LDN.  July 8- Brassmonkey micro taper started.  8.4mg escitalopram, 1.5mg LDN.  July 15- 8.3mg esc, 1.5mg LDN.  July 18 8.3mg esc, 2.0mg LDN

Supplements/other meds: Vitamin D, B12, Claritin

I am not a doctor.  I don't even play one on TV.  This is not medical advice, but based on personal experience.  Please consult a medical professional.

• Administrator

Hi @Sam29

I've seen your PM. Please keep all questions here. That way, we can all read them, and more people can try to assist.

To this day, I have tinnitus after I reinstated too high, but it has improved with time and patience. Some foods cause it to flare up.

I am not aware of any drug that will resolve the issue. As Catwoman said, adding a new drug just gives you something else you have to taper off.

On 6/25/2024 at 3:26 PM, Sam29 said:

Right now I wear ear plugs and noise cancelling ear plugs for a lot of the day.

Me too, when my ears are particularly sensitive...it drives my wife crazy as when she goes to talk to me, I don't hear her 😬

I don't want to click on your attached document. Does it contain more precise info than your drug signature? You've been off all drugs since October 2023?

Best wishes

Please don't send me PMs. I am not a doctor. My comments are based on my personal experience with ADs and tapering. Consult your doctor about your own medical decisions.

Start of taper: Jan ’22 Vortioxetine 15mg, 

End year 1: 4.5mg, 

End year 2: 2.38mg, 

Year 3: 19 Jan 2.33mg, 26 Jan 2.28mg, 2 Feb 2.24mg, 8 Feb 2.19mg, 29 Feb 2.15mg, 7 Mar 2.10mg, 14 Mar 2.06mg, 21 Mar 1.99mg, 10 Apr 1.95mg, 17 Apr 1.91mg, 24 Apr 1.87mg, 1 May 1.83mg, 23 May 1.80mg, 30 May 1.76mg, 8 Jun 1.72mg, 13 Jun 1.66mg, 3 Jul 1.62mg, 10 Jul 1.58mg, 17 Jul 1.54mg

Posted (edited)

@Sam29

It looks like you've already been given some very good advice regarding reinstatement.

I only want to mention that there is a facebook group, Cymbalta Hurts Worse, that follows the same guidelines as SA, but might have specific recommendations as they pertain to Cymbalta. 

Edited by LotusRising

2003-2009 on and off various SSRI's for short periods, Ativan prn

2010-2011 Ativan, up to 1.5mg/day - tapered off without issue

2013-2021 ativan 1-1.5mg 10-12x/month, daily starting Oct 21 to help with buspar WD

2016 - Effexor 75mg, short-term

2021 Mar -Jun Buspar ADR at high dose, tapered 3 months

2021 Aug Wellbutrin 150mg for 5 days (ADR), then MIrtazapine 7.5mg for 7 days (ADR)

Oct 22/21 - Direct switch ativan to clonazepam (don't do this)

Tapered clonaz Oct/21 - Apr/23  - 0mg!

Supplements: omega-3, mag-glycinate

"Believe that your tragedies, your losses, your sorrows, your hurt, happened for you, not to you. And I bless the thing that broke you down and cracked you open, because the world needs you open" - Rebecca Campbell

*** Disclaimer: Please note, my suggestions/comments are based on my own personal experiences. Please consult a knowledgeable practitioner to discuss decisions regarding your medical care *** 

*** Please do not send me PM's ***

Thanks for the responses. Yes I have been off all drugs since October 2023 and the document attached is just my drug history (same as the signature list) @Emonda.  The real issue is how my body breaks down around continuous sounds like A/C, freeway noise, fan, etc.. .  I have to exit the room and lie down somewhere. Only reason to potentially reinstate is to get rid of this WD symptom. Really stressed:) 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Sam29 said:

The real issue is how my body breaks down around continuous sounds like A/C, freeway noise, fan, etc..

Have you had the opportunity to work through this with someone? I wonder if a counsellor/therapist might be of value. I've certainly benefited from their assistance.

1 hour ago, Sam29 said:

I have to exit the room and lie down somewhere.

I hear you (no pun intended). I do that myself from time to time.

1 hour ago, Sam29 said:

Only reason to potentially reinstate is to get rid of this WD symptom.

Reinstatement is best within the 1st three months. Beyond that, it's unpredictable.

I'd be very cautious about re-adding a drug to your system when it caused the problem in the first place.

This link, Acknowledge Accept Float, is worth reading. I use this to help me deal with tinnitus and some other physical WD symptoms that cause me grief.

Best wishes

Please don't send me PMs. I am not a doctor. My comments are based on my personal experience with ADs and tapering. Consult your doctor about your own medical decisions.

Start of taper: Jan ’22 Vortioxetine 15mg, 

End year 1: 4.5mg, 

End year 2: 2.38mg, 

Year 3: 19 Jan 2.33mg, 26 Jan 2.28mg, 2 Feb 2.24mg, 8 Feb 2.19mg, 29 Feb 2.15mg, 7 Mar 2.10mg, 14 Mar 2.06mg, 21 Mar 1.99mg, 10 Apr 1.95mg, 17 Apr 1.91mg, 24 Apr 1.87mg, 1 May 1.83mg, 23 May 1.80mg, 30 May 1.76mg, 8 Jun 1.72mg, 13 Jun 1.66mg, 3 Jul 1.62mg, 10 Jul 1.58mg, 17 Jul 1.54mg

I have only learned of this recently, so haven't had any opportunity to test the information, but oxytocin may be the solution. Looking for the reason that benzodiazepines and antidepressants worsened my tinnitus led me to learn that researchers are viewing oxytocin as a potential way to improve the condition. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5613090/  If you want more information on this you can find that there is research into the relationship between oxytocin levels and musicians appreciation for music. There are lots of commercial websites which detail numerous ways to increase our bodies release of oxytocin.

Prior medications;

sertraline 50mg April

sertraline 100mg May to July 2014 (ceased medication immediately upon occurrence of first thunderclap headache)

lorazepam April 2014 and November 2014 to January 2015 (each time suppressing symptoms of illness until two weeks after cessation of medication)

seroquel November 2014 to January 2015 50mg prior to being raised to 100mg for one day (medication ceased immediately upon occurrence of convulsive seizure)

warfarin 1990 to June 2023

Was instructed to 'cease doing anything healthy' by treating psychiatrist in June 2014 (the psychiatrist stating that belief in disease is the cause of disease and that dietary supplementation encourages people to think there's something wrong with us) so only commenced taking supplements again in June 2023 upon contrary instructions from GP.

Current medications;

eliquis since June 2023

Supplements; multivitamin/mineral, zinc, magnesium, calcium/magnesium, vitamin c, vitamin d, spirulina, resveratrol, iron.

Thanks for the responses. I will look into Oxytocin.  I like the Acknowledge Accept and Float. I am going to try some neuroplasticity exercises and I just started CBT to try to accept all this. .  thanks:)