Hi all - long time lurker just looking for reassurance on what I already know :S 

This post is mainly about insomnia. The TLDR: I’m 9.5 months off all psychoactive drugs. Insomnia was a constant problem while on the meds, and actually the reason I decided to get off, but it’s also been a problem since I’ve been off. My sleep has been better while off the meds (totally up and down, whereas on meds, it was just always down for the most part). However, my sleep has been getting progressively worse this past month. Is this normal for it to do a 180 this far out and deteriorate so drastically? I cannot fall asleep almost at all. I feel so wired. 

the long story:

never struggled with any anxiety in my life. Was placed on a steroid for an unrelated health issue, and took the steroid for 4 days and that’s when everything crashed around me. I experienced the most terrifying panic and anxiety i didn’t even know was possible. I had to go stay with my parents (I’m very happily married and work a full time job), and constantly felt like I couldn’t breathe. This went on for 1.5 weeks constantly before I went to my doctor. I had no idea what was happening and I was very scared. Of note, I was still somehow sleeping pretty ok at this point. Then enters the revolving door of meds to “fix me”. Started with Effexor, and the first day I took it, that’s when the insomnia began. I lasted four days before I experienced total insomnia and I just couldn’t take the increased anxiety I was feeling from the med. it was horrible. I was still so scared because I had no idea what happened to me so suddenly, so I kept looking for any med to fix me. Spoiler - none of them did. This roller coaster went on for one year of trying so many meds before I just said forget it. You can see all the meds in my signature. None of them were tapered off correctly I have come to realize, and I now know that only time can heal me and that reinstatement isn’t an option because I NEVER felt good on any drug I was on. 

anyways, that’s the gist. These past 9.5 months have been very hard. Even when my sleep has been good (max of 4-5 day stretches at a time), I’ve felt horrible in other ways. Symptoms have come and gone, but insomnia is the most persistent and seems to be getting worse which is scaring me. I now cannot fall asleep almost at all. It used to be that I could fall asleep and wake up early (which I honestly prefer over this). I have been taking .3mg extended release melatonin almost this whole time and have recently deduced it’s making me so groggy most of the next day that I don’t want to take it (though I feel it did help me sleep). I am also taking magnesium, fish oil, and taurine. 

has anyone else experienced insomnia worsening this far out? Or am I on an island with this? 

thank you all 

Edited by Catwoman73
Added username to title

8/2022 - medrol dose pack for 4 days

9/22 - Effexor 37.5mg for 4 days - CT 

9/22 - Zoloft 25-50mg - 1 month - rapid tap

10/22 - lexapro 5-10mg - 3 months - rapid

10/22 - buspar w lexapro and on its own - 8-12 weeks - rapid taper

2/2023 - propranolol - 1 month- rapid taper

3/2023 - gabapentin - 6 months - 100-300mgs - rapid taper 

4/2023 - viibryd 10-20mg - 5 months -rapid taper

9/2023 - off all meds 

*tried the following meds for sleep once during the timeline above:

trazodone - 50mg, Doxepin -10mg, hydroxyzine - 25-50mg (tried this a few times) 

Hi @vvvv and welcome to SA!  We are a community of volunteers providing peer support in the tapering of psychiatric medications and their associated withdrawal syndromes.  

Thank you so much for completing your drug signature.  Your poor nervous system has been through an awful lot!  I'm sorry you've been through all of this- sadly, you've learned the hard way that taking more psychiatric medication is pretty much never the answer to problems created by psychiatric medications. I know that steroids are not actually psych meds, but they do impact every  part of the body, including the brain, so they can be equally damaging. 

Your drug merry-go-round and recurrent rapid tapers has left you in a very destabilized state.  Here at SA, we recommend tapering by no more than 10% of your current dose every four weeks, also known as a hyperbolic taper.  This is designed to minimize withdrawal symptoms. Unfortunately, I can probably count on one hand the number of doctors who have any awareness of how important the hyperbolic taper is.  That's why forums like this one exist!

As for your particular situation, yes, we do see people have symptom flare ups later in the game.  Month six to nine can be particularly challenging in many cases.  The fact that you have tried a few meds to assist with sleep may have set you back a little bit.  So, your current situation isn't exactly surprising.  As I said above, taking more psych meds is pretty much never the answer to problems caused by psych meds.  Like you said- time is the answer. You are likely currently experiencing a bad symptom wave- this is absolutely normal.  Experiencing windows and waves is a good sign of healing.  Read more about windows and waves here:

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Insomnia is, unfortunately, a symptom many of us here deal with.  You are absolutely not alone!  We have a few threads dedicated to non-drug methods of coping with insomnia:

Tips to help sleep: so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

Melatonin for sleep

Music for self-care: calms hyperalertness, anxiety, aids relaxation and sleep

Given that your nervous system is so destabilized, you may also benefit from a few other non-drug methods of coping with general symptoms as well. Here are a few links to help you along:

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Easing your way into meditation for a stressed-out nervous system

"Change the channel" - dealing with cognitive symptoms

Personally, there are a couple of things I find very helpful with insomnia- the meditation piece is critical for me.  I do a lot of guided relaxation/body scan stuff, especially at night;  I do walking meditation- focussing on my surroundings while walking in nature- sights, sounds, smells, etc.  If my focus wanders, I acknowledge the thought that has jumped into my head, and bring my focus back.  It might sound a bit strange, but this is VERY calming for the nervous system, and may help you get through those symptom waves a bit easier.  I have also found gentle swimming to be very helpful... I'm not sure why, but on days when I swim, I feel better and sleep better.  Just wanted to share some of my personal experiences, in case they might help you!

In summary, you already know this, but give it time.  Be patient.  Stay away from sleep medications- they are only going to set you back.  Your job right now is to focus on self care, and learning some of the coping mechanisms I described- and some that you come up with too!  Eat healthy, stay hydrated, just take care of yourself in general.  You can create an environment within yourself to facilitate healing.  And most of all, just keep believing that you are healing, because you are!

This is your introduction post- please post updates, questions, etc here in this thread.  But do explore the forum, and don't hesitate to engage with other members.  This journey is a lot easier when you don't feel so alone!  

Hang in there!!! ❤️‍🩹

1995- 2007- On and off multiple antidepressants (Prozac, Paxil, Effexor, Wellbutrin, escitalopram). Memory poor- can’t remember dates. Always tapered fast or CT.  2007- tapered Wellbutrin, zopiclone and escitalopram over one month to get pregnant.  Withdrawal hell for many years.

2009- Daughter born 🥰 Post partum depression/psychosis- no meds taken.

2016- Back on escitalopram due to job change/anxiety

2022- Severe covid infection- Diagnosed with long covid 08/22.

2023- 01/23- Long term disability approved for long covid.  Started taper under MD advice from 20mg: 11/23- 15mg. 2024- March-10mg. Started low dose naltrexone for long covid-5mg- terrible reaction, reduced to 0.5mg.  April- 10mg escitalopram, 1.0mg LDN. May 1- 9.0mg escitalopram, 1.0mg LDN. May 15- 9.0mg escitalopram, 1.5mg LDN.  June 12- 8.5mg escitalopram, 1.5mg LDN.  July 8- Brassmonkey micro taper started.  8.4mg escitalopram, 1.5mg LDN.  July 15- 8.3mg esc, 1.5mg LDN.  July 18 8.3mg esc, 2.0mg LDN

Supplements/other meds: Vitamin D, B12, Claritin

I am not a doctor.  I don't even play one on TV.  This is not medical advice, but based on personal experience.  Please consult a medical professional.

• Catwoman73 changed the title to vvvv- Worsening insomnia

Thank you so much @Catwoman73! Love your name by the way. I am also a cat woman lol. 

last night I slept 8 hours or so, and took the .3mg extended release melatonin much earlier, at 8pm, then 1mg instant release melatonin at 9 and that did the trick. I feel so much better today. Don’t get me wrong, I’m still not great, but these past couple days were so incredibly bad and I was unbelievably anxious - couldn’t eat, couldn’t think about anything else. Your kind words have really helped to reassure me that this is expected given my history, so thank you!

pasting these notes kind of as a diary now so I can look back and hopefully be reminded of how hard this was, because one day, I won’t remember this trauma!

Issues:

- brain fog (feel like I’m not able to focus, concentrate, just feel fuzzy) 

- undertone of feeling fatigued (not a lot of energy)

- tinnitus 

- slightly nauseous stomach 

thank you so so so much! 

9/2023 - off all meds 

6 minutes ago, vvvv said:

Thank you so much @Catwoman73! Love your name by the way. I am also a cat woman lol. 

last night I slept 8 hours or so, and took the .3mg extended release melatonin much earlier, at 8pm, then 1mg instant release melatonin at 9 and that did the trick. I feel so much better today. Don’t get me wrong, I’m still not great, but these past couple days were so incredibly bad and I was unbelievably anxious - couldn’t eat, couldn’t think about anything else. Your kind words have really helped to reassure me that this is expected given my history, so thank you!

pasting these notes kind of as a diary now so I can look back and hopefully be reminded of how hard this was, because one day, I won’t remember this trauma!

Issues:

- brain fog (feel like I’m not able to focus, concentrate, just feel fuzzy) 

- undertone of feeling fatigued (not a lot of energy)

- tinnitus 

- slightly nauseous stomach 

thank you so so so much! 

I'm so glad to hear it's a better day!  These small victories help to keep the hope alive!  I've had periods with anxiety like that- I know how terrible it is.  Back in the mid 2000s, my weight dropped to 78lbs due to severe anxiety.  Fortunately, I've developed much better coping skills now, and I will never let it get to that point again.  But I can relate- I'm glad you're here.  Support from people who understand is so meaningful.  It will help you along the way!

I use this site as a bit of a diary as well.  It's nice to be able to look back and see how things have progressed.  For better or worse.  

I only currently have one cat, and a dog... but I once had four!  I love animals so much, and my pets have really helped me on this journey.  There's nothing like a purring cat to calm the nervous system!!!

Keep posting- we're here to support you along the way!  

1995- 2007- On and off multiple antidepressants (Prozac, Paxil, Effexor, Wellbutrin, escitalopram). Memory poor- can’t remember dates. Always tapered fast or CT.  2007- tapered Wellbutrin, zopiclone and escitalopram over one month to get pregnant.  Withdrawal hell for many years.

2023- 01/23- Long term disability approved for long covid.  Started taper under MD advice from 20mg: 11/23- 15mg. 2024- March-10mg. Started low dose naltrexone for long covid-5mg- terrible reaction, reduced to 0.5mg.  April- 10mg escitalopram, 1.0mg LDN. May 1- 9.0mg escitalopram, 1.0mg LDN. May 15- 9.0mg escitalopram, 1.5mg LDN.  June 12- 8.5mg escitalopram, 1.5mg LDN.  July 8- Brassmonkey micro taper started.  8.4mg escitalopram, 1.5mg LDN.  July 15- 8.3mg esc, 1.5mg LDN.  July 18 8.3mg esc, 2.0mg LDN

I am not a doctor.  I don't even play one on TV.  This is not medical advice, but based on personal experience.  Please consult a medical professional.

Hi everyone - can someone help me understand what’s happening or let me know I’m not alone…

my insomnia is still really bad. I’m going into month 10 off all meds. The first 8.5 months, my insomnia allowed me to fall asleep relatively easily, but I would just wake up insanely early and not go back to sleep. For the past almost 1.5 months, it’s completely switched and I can’t fall asleep almost at all most nights. It’s like I went from dopey and drabby to the complete opposite of hyper alert and awake always. I’m not even tired and I’m scared. Did I do something to cause this hyperarousal? Is this normal? 

I take melatonin, fish oil, taurine and magnesium. Wear black out eye mask and have shades. Wear ear plugs. Play calming music….yet I just lay there wide awake. 

thank you all 

9/2023 - off all meds 

@vvvv that's normal. I went through worsening insomnia in months 9-10 too. Also found out that I was suddenly intolerant of most supplements I had been taking with no problem. Along with all grains and most fruits. Cutting these out improved my insomnia. Along with taking extra virgin olive oil.

Jan 29, 2023 - Took my one and only dose of Mirtazapine (15 mg). Developed an immediate adverse reaction with list of withdrawal-like symptoms.

10 hours ago, vvvv said:

Hi everyone - can someone help me understand what’s happening or let me know I’m not alone…

my insomnia is still really bad. I’m going into month 10 off all meds. The first 8.5 months, my insomnia allowed me to fall asleep relatively easily, but I would just wake up insanely early and not go back to sleep. For the past almost 1.5 months, it’s completely switched and I can’t fall asleep almost at all most nights. It’s like I went from dopey and drabby to the complete opposite of hyper alert and awake always. I’m not even tired and I’m scared. Did I do something to cause this hyperarousal? Is this normal? 

I take melatonin, fish oil, taurine and magnesium. Wear black out eye mask and have shades. Wear ear plugs. Play calming music….yet I just lay there wide awake. 

thank you all 

As Chompoo said above, very normal.  It's a wave.  Just keep telling yourself that it's a wave and it will pass.  What we tell ourselves is important- our thoughts create pathways in our brains, so we need to challenge the negative ones, and replace them with more positive ones, like the one I just wrote.   You can do this.  Remind yourself that you will not die from insomnia.  You will be exhausted, stressed and uncomfortable, but it won't kill you.  And your body will eventually sleep.  That's just the way the human body works. 

I do agree with Chompoo- sometimes we do become sensitive to foods, supplements, other drugs as we progress through this journey.  It's certainly happened to me!  You may want to try a slow elimination of some of your supplements to see what the issue is.  Just an FYI specific to melatonin- very low doses are better in withdrawal- like 0.25mg.  Higher doses can be very stimulating.  That might be a good one to start with if you want to try some elimination work. 

Keep going!  You're doing great, vvvv!❤️‍🩹

Yes, low doses work better than high ones. I'm currently taking 130mg magnesium every day. If I take a full dose of 400mg, my symptoms increase, rather than decrease.

I suggest you stop ALL supplements and slowly reintroduce low doses to see which one could be causing you problems. You might not believe it but you will still be able to sleep without any supplement. More is not always better.

Jan 29, 2023 - Took my one and only dose of Mirtazapine (15 mg). Developed an immediate adverse reaction with list of withdrawal-like symptoms.

Thank you @Chompoo and @Catwoman73! I really appreciate your kind words. 

posting an update as to where I’m at:

- will be 10 months off this Friday! 
- sleep is much better than it was when I posted. Month 8.5-9 was roughhhh with sleep. I couldn’t fall asleep or stay asleep longer than 4-5 hours. For the past few nights, I’ve been falling asleep around 12:30-1:45 and staying asleep for 6-8 hours. I’m still falling asleep later than I would like, but it’s better. I listen to calming music to get me to sleep. 
- my days have a predictable pattern right now. Wake up a little tired and groggy, manage ok for a couple hours, then slowwwwlly start getting really sleepy around 10:30am and it lasts until 12:30-1pm. Then I swing to feeling pretty alert, almost too alert. My eyes start feeling dry. Feel a little anxious. Then around 4ish I start feeling normal. I’ve been having good evenings. Then the cycle repeats. Tinnitus is throughout the day. 

I have to admit, I’m getting really frustrated. I really don’t feel like I’m any better than when I first came off the meds. I should have kept better notes when I did come off, and maybe I could see more progress. I just want to make it through one day where I feel normal. Not extremely tired and foggy, but also not so on edge and wired. I feel like my body cannot find homeostasis. I feel like people usually start having longer windows at this stage and I just feel like I’m stagnant. Ugh, I’ll be ok. Just needing to vent. I want my life back and I feel so sorry for my husband. He didn’t sign up for this and I don’t want this to be his life/our life. 

I also have a pretty big surgery on Friday that I just want to get over with. I’m expecting a pretty big wave to follow, but it is what it is. I have to have the surgery done. 

wishing I had a more positive update. I’ll try to post more so I can have a look back in the future to remind myself how far I’ve come 

9/2023 - off all meds 

1 minute ago, vvvv said:

Thank you @Chompoo and @Catwoman73! I really appreciate your kind words. 

posting an update as to where I’m at:

- will be 10 months off this Friday! 
- sleep is much better than it was when I posted. Month 8.5-9 was roughhhh with sleep. I couldn’t fall asleep or stay asleep longer than 4-5 hours. For the past few nights, I’ve been falling asleep around 12:30-1:45 and staying asleep for 6-8 hours. I’m still falling asleep later than I would like, but it’s better. I listen to calming music to get me to sleep. 
- my days have a predictable pattern right now. Wake up a little tired and groggy, manage ok for a couple hours, then slowwwwlly start getting really sleepy around 10:30am and it lasts until 12:30-1pm. Then I swing to feeling pretty alert, almost too alert. My eyes start feeling dry. Feel a little anxious. Then around 4ish I start feeling normal. I’ve been having good evenings. Then the cycle repeats. Tinnitus is throughout the day. 

I have to admit, I’m getting really frustrated. I really don’t feel like I’m any better than when I first came off the meds. I should have kept better notes when I did come off, and maybe I could see more progress. I just want to make it through one day where I feel normal. Not extremely tired and foggy, but also not so on edge and wired. I feel like my body cannot find homeostasis. I feel like people usually start having longer windows at this stage and I just feel like I’m stagnant. Ugh, I’ll be ok. Just needing to vent. I want my life back and I feel so sorry for my husband. He didn’t sign up for this and I don’t want this to be his life/our life. 

I also have a pretty big surgery on Friday that I just want to get over with. I’m expecting a pretty big wave to follow, but it is what it is. I have to have the surgery done. 

wishing I had a more positive update. I’ll try to post more so I can have a look back in the future to remind myself how far I’ve come 

You may not feel like you're getting any better, but you are!  Like you said, your sleep is much better than when you posted, and you've been having good evenings.  This is all good.  And predictability to your days is a mixed blessing- you can either dread the rough times, or use your predictability to ALWAYS know that a better period of time is just around the corner... I would always choose the latter!

With the amount of chaos your nervous system has been through, this is going to take time.  Like, probably LOTS of time.  Just as an example- In 2007, I did a one month taper off of three psych meds at the same time, not knowing any better.  I had about seven years of protracted withdrawal symptoms.  That's not to say it was all terrible the whole time- the windows got longer and better as time progressed, and the waves got shorter and less severe.  I didn't keep good notes either (I do now!!!), but looking back, I can see that there definitely was slow progress, with setbacks along the way (particularly the birth of my daughter, which was extremely traumatic, and was a very MAJOR setback).  As much as 10 months feels like a long time, in the grand scheme, it really isn't.  And I did have lots of joy and happiness in that 7 year period... it was just interspersed with some rough times.  

On another note, surgery certainly could be a pretty big setback.  Maybe not, but the anesthetic can be very triggering for many people in withdrawal.  Do you have to have a general anesthetic?  Is this a surgery that could be done with a nerve block instead?  Nerve block would likely be significantly less triggering for you.  I think the fact that you know this might cause problems for you will help you get through it a little bit easier.  Post op, be sure to EAT!  We need a lot more calories while healing from surgery.  Stay hydrated, and work hard on those non-drug coping methods if your symptoms do flare significantly.  And you can absolutely lean on us here for reassurance.  I'll be away until Sunday, but reach out to other mods if you need to. Not sure what your plan is for pain control post op, but be careful with the narcotics- I took Tylenol only following my c-section, and got by OK.

Wishing you nothing but the best for your upcoming operation, and trust your body to HEAL- from the surgery and from the withdrawal.  We are always healing, even when it doesn't feel like it!

Hi @Catwoman73! Your words are always so kind and I greatly greatly appreciate them. I had no idea about your history! I feel much less alone when I hear stories like yours, so thank you! I hope you’re getting by ok with your current taper. Thank you for being a mod. It’s even more commendable with you going through your own withdrawal, helping all of us go through ours. If you ever need anyone to vent or talk to, I’m here!! 

surgery is unfortunately under general anesthesia. I’m not picking up the narcotics they prescribed post op and am planning to manage pain with OTC items as well post op! I’m concerned about the anti nausea med they will be giving. The only way out is through as they say. 

Just an update on the past couple days. They didn’t have that exact same predictability of course lol I had many windows throughout the day followed by many waves (or dips). It’s truly been a roller coaster of waves and windows. Feeling good (and dare I say almost normal?!) for an hour, then feeling overwhelming tired and/or brain foggy. I slept like a ROCK two nights ago. Last night, I was back to that pattern from a week ago where I couldn’t fall asleep til 2ish and woke up bright eyed and busy tailed around 6:30ish. My mental state was better though as I know this will pass. Perhaps the hardest part for me right now is actually the unpredictability each day, let alone each hour will bring (which is ironic bc a couple days ago I felt like I had solid predictability) lol withdrawal laughs in my face once again! 

take care all

9/2023 - off all meds