NikkiT: Withdrawal hell

I am trying to come off 20mg Citalopram, on it since 2019.  It caused rapid weight gain, 60lb in one year without changing diet or lifestyle.  I cannot get weight off now.  I tried taking 3 months to come off it last year and ended up with 24 hours a day anxiety and severe depression.  I did not have that level of anxiety before starting these meds. 

I want to know how practically does one reduce by such tiny amounts?  Obviously I would need to change to liquid?  I am on the lowest dose possible anyway, only 20mg.

Edited by Emonda
Name to title

9/2019 Fluoxetine.  Started on 10mg, increased to 30mg over 6 months.  

6/2020 stopped Fluoxetine due to supply shortage.  Started 10 mg citalopram. 

9/2020 increased to 20mg. 

Several attempts to stop using conventional withdrawal in 10/2021, 1/2022 and 1/2023.  

• Administrator

Welcome @NikkiT

So the moderators can best help you, please complete your drug signature by following these instructions. Adding a signature ensures your drug history appears at the bottom of every post, making it more efficient for those trying to assist.

This link should go directly to your own signature: Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

17 hours ago, NikkiT said:

I tried taking 3 months to come off it last year and ended up with 24 hours a day anxiety and severe depression

Tapering over 3 months is way too fast. Why taper by 10% of my dosage? The reductions should get smaller and smaller each month, for example: 10mg, 9mg, 8.1mg, 7.3mg etc. Importantly, if you develop unpleasant side effects from tapering, halt the taper, give yourself time to settle, and once stable, taper more slowly and by smaller amounts moving forward.

ended up with 24 hours a day anxiety and severe depression.  I did not have that level of anxiety before starting these meds. 

What you describe sound like typical WD symptoms: Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF) 

I want to know how practically does one reduce by such tiny amounts?

Some people use liquids, and others use digital scales such as the Gemini-20. If you do transition to liquid, please read the 4th post down by Gridley:

Transitioning from pills to liquid

A few other helpful general links:

Windows and waves pattern of stabilization

Emotional Spirals

Non-drug coping strategies

Melatonin for sleep

We don't suggest many supplements, but two that many of us find helpful are magnesium and omega-3 fish oil. Here are the links for info about those. Add one at a time and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 

Magnesium

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Avoid alcohol.

Don't change the manufacturer of your AD.

This is your own Introduction topic.  Each member has only ONE Introduction topic.  Your own Introduction topic is the best place to ask questions and the place to journal your progress.  This keeps your history in one place and means you do not have to repeat your story. 

Once again, welcome to S.A.

Emonda

Please don't send me PMs. I am not a doctor. My comments are based on my personal experience with ADs and tapering. Consult your doctor about your own medical decisions.

Start of taper: Jan ’22 Vortioxetine 15mg, 

End year 1: 4.5mg, 

End year 2: 2.38mg, 

Year 3: 19 Jan 2.33mg, 26 Jan 2.28mg, 2 Feb 2.24mg, 8 Feb 2.19mg, 29 Feb 2.15mg, 7 Mar 2.10mg, 14 Mar 2.06mg, 21 Mar 1.99mg, 10 Apr 1.95mg, 17 Apr 1.91mg, 24 Apr 1.87mg, 1 May 1.83mg, 23 May 1.80mg, 30 May 1.76mg, 8 Jun 1.72mg, 13 Jun 1.66mg, 3 Jul 1.62mg, 10 Jul 1.58mg, 17 Jul 1.54mg

• Emonda changed the title to NikkiT: Withdrawal hell
On 6/30/2024 at 8:07 AM, Emonda said:

Welcome @NikkiT

So the moderators can best help you, please complete your drug signature by following these instructions. Adding a signature ensures your drug history appears at the bottom of every post, making it more efficient for those trying to assist.

This link should go directly to your own signature: Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

Tapering over 3 months is way too fast. Why taper by 10% of my dosage? The reductions should get smaller and smaller each month, for example: 10mg, 9mg, 8.1mg, 7.3mg etc. Importantly, if you develop unpleasant side effects from tapering, halt the taper, give yourself time to settle, and once stable, taper more slowly and by smaller amounts moving forward.

What you describe sound like typical WD symptoms: Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF) 

Some people use liquids, and others use digital scales such as the Gemini-20. If you do transition to liquid, please read the 4th post down by Gridley:

Transitioning from pills to liquid

A few other helpful general links:

Windows and waves pattern of stabilization

Emotional Spirals

Non-drug coping strategies

Melatonin for sleep

We don't suggest many supplements, but two that many of us find helpful are magnesium and omega-3 fish oil. Here are the links for info about those. Add one at a time and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 

Magnesium

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Avoid alcohol.

Don't change the manufacturer of your AD.

This is your own Introduction topic.  Each member has only ONE Introduction topic.  Your own Introduction topic is the best place to ask questions and the place to journal your progress.  This keeps your history in one place and means you do not have to repeat your story. 

Once again, welcome to S.A.

Emonda

Hi Emonda

I am sorry I don't understand what is meant by a signature. Is it a signature like you would do on a cheque?  I can't see any signatures on other people's posts so I am struggling to understand.

9/2019 Fluoxetine.  Started on 10mg, increased to 30mg over 6 months.  

6/2020 stopped Fluoxetine due to supply shortage.  Started 10 mg citalopram. 

9/2020 increased to 20mg. 

Several attempts to stop using conventional withdrawal in 10/2021, 1/2022 and 1/2023.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Hi Nikkit,

I've just seen the message you sent offline.

The signature is what you see at the bottom of everyone's posts. That is, the member's drug/dose/date.

If you follow the instructions in this link, you will be able to add the info.

On 6/30/2024 at 5:07 PM, Emonda said:

Many thanks

Please don't send me PMs. I am not a doctor. My comments are based on my personal experience with ADs and tapering. Consult your doctor about your own medical decisions.

Start of taper: Jan ’22 Vortioxetine 15mg, 

End year 1: 4.5mg, 

End year 2: 2.38mg, 

Year 3: 19 Jan 2.33mg, 26 Jan 2.28mg, 2 Feb 2.24mg, 8 Feb 2.19mg, 29 Feb 2.15mg, 7 Mar 2.10mg, 14 Mar 2.06mg, 21 Mar 1.99mg, 10 Apr 1.95mg, 17 Apr 1.91mg, 24 Apr 1.87mg, 1 May 1.83mg, 23 May 1.80mg, 30 May 1.76mg, 8 Jun 1.72mg, 13 Jun 1.66mg, 3 Jul 1.62mg, 10 Jul 1.58mg, 17 Jul 1.54mg