Everglad39: would like to taper citalopram

Everglade39

Posted (edited)

Hi all,

I'm on a few different psych meds. I read on this site a while back that it is best to taper off the SSRI before the mood stabiliser.

My psychiatrist agrees and is on board with me wanting to try and taper off citalopram, before trying to taper off lamotrigine. We both know it will take many months, but she doesn't seem to understand the 10% method that I've read about here.

My question is - will I need to go to a compounding pharmacy to help with my taper? There is only one in my city and it's far away. I would much prefer to do it myself but crushing, dissolving etc, but I don't know if this is recommended and how I would go about doing it, practically.

Many thanks,
Everglade39

Edited by Emonda
Moved name in title

2012 to present – perindopril 4 mg; 2012 to present - amitriptyline 5 mg (sometimes take 10 mg) – tried to quit in I think 2015 no success; 2013 to present – omeprazole 20 mg; 2014 to present - citalopram 20 mg – went down by 25% (broke pill roughly into quarters) for a few days somewhere around 2017 but had to reinstate after severe withdrawal; 2016 to present - lamotrigine 200 mg (started at 25 mg and moved up slowly) – did slow taper in 2018/2019 but didn’t succeed; 2020 to present - methylphenidate 27 mg (started at 18 mg) – did slow taper and came off without bad withdrawals in 2023, but after a few months I asked to start it again; 2021 to present - propranolol 20 mg PRN (sometimes take 40 mg); 2022 to present – levothyroxine 100 mcg; 19 June 2024 to present - flupentixol 0,5 mg; no alcohol for the last 8 years; no nicotine for the last 3 years.

• Administrator

Welcome @Everglade39

So the moderators can best help you, please complete your drug signature by following these instructions. Adding a signature ensures your drug history appears at the bottom of every post, making it more efficient for those trying to assist. This link should go directly to your own signature: Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

21 hours ago, Everglade39 said:

I'm on a few different psych meds. I read on this site a while back that it is best to taper off the SSRI before the mood stabiliser.

Have a read of this link: Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

21 hours ago, Everglade39 said:

My question is - will I need to go to a compounding pharmacy to help with my taper? There is only one in my city and it's far away. I would much prefer to do it myself but crushing, dissolving etc, but I don't know if this is recommended and how I would go about doing it, practically.

You could use a digital scale such as the Gemini 20. You just need to be consistent and accurate. Near enough isn't good enough.

The link should answer your questions.

Avoid alcohol. 

Don't change the manufacturer of your AD.

Once again, welcome to S.A.

Emonda

Please don't send me PMs. I am not a doctor. My comments are based on my personal experience with ADs and tapering. Consult your doctor about your own medical decisions.

Start of taper: Jan ’22 Vortioxetine 15mg, 

End year 1: 4.5mg, 

End year 2: 2.38mg, 

Year 3: 19 Jan 2.33mg, 26 Jan 2.28mg, 2 Feb 2.24mg, 8 Feb 2.19mg, 29 Feb 2.15mg, 7 Mar 2.10mg, 14 Mar 2.06mg, 21 Mar 1.99mg, 10 Apr 1.95mg, 17 Apr 1.91mg, 24 Apr 1.87mg, 1 May 1.83mg, 23 May 1.80mg, 30 May 1.76mg, 8 Jun 1.72mg, 13 Jun 1.66mg, 3 Jul 1.62mg, 10 Jul 1.58mg, 17 Jul 1.54mg

• Emonda changed the title to Everglad39: would like to taper citalopram
On 7/3/2024 at 1:08 PM, Emonda said:

Welcome @Everglade39

So the moderators can best help you, please complete your drug signature by following these instructions. Adding a signature ensures your drug history appears at the bottom of every post, making it more efficient for those trying to assist. This link should go directly to your own signature: Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

Have a read of this link: Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

You could use a digital scale such as the Gemini 20. You just need to be consistent and accurate. Near enough isn't good enough.

The link should answer your questions.

Avoid alcohol. 

Don't change the manufacturer of your AD.

Once again, welcome to S.A.

Emonda

Thanks a million.

2012 to present – perindopril 4 mg; 2012 to present - amitriptyline 5 mg (sometimes take 10 mg) – tried to quit in I think 2015 no success; 2013 to present – omeprazole 20 mg; 2014 to present - citalopram 20 mg – went down by 25% (broke pill roughly into quarters) for a few days somewhere around 2017 but had to reinstate after severe withdrawal; 2016 to present - lamotrigine 200 mg (started at 25 mg and moved up slowly) – did slow taper in 2018/2019 but didn’t succeed; 2020 to present - methylphenidate 27 mg (started at 18 mg) – did slow taper and came off without bad withdrawals in 2023, but after a few months I asked to start it again; 2021 to present - propranolol 20 mg PRN (sometimes take 40 mg); 2022 to present – levothyroxine 100 mcg; 19 June 2024 to present - flupentixol 0,5 mg; no alcohol for the last 8 years; no nicotine for the last 3 years.