Hemly: My journey CTing 20mg Prozac

Hello all,

I've been a lurker here for a couple months and figured I'd finally make an introduction post--if for nothing else but to potentially help others who are suffering and keep a thorough record. Reading through this forum, and through the Facebook group "Antidepressant SSRIs Withdrawal Support" has been instrumental to my journey so far and I'm truly grateful for everyone who posts. I don't know where I would be without the support. 

Brief history:
I've suffered from anxiety most of my life and was diagnosed with both Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Social Anxiety Disorder while in high school. I'd read and heard many success stories from people who took medication for their anxiety and experienced monumental positive life changes. I figured after years and years of suffering and denying myself prescription drugs, I'd give it a try. If only I had known what was in store for me...

Prescription of SSRI onward:
I was prescribed 20mg of Prozac after a short conversation with a psychiatrist online. It felt great. I was so excited to grab my life by the reins and finally, for once, not be plagued with anxiety. Everything was fine for nearly 6 weeks, I had none of the side effects the psychiatrist had mentioned to me (nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation).

TRIGGER WARNING: VIVID DESCRIPTIONS OF PHYSICAL SYMPTOMS BELOW

In the early morning of April 9th 2024, I woke up with horrible aching pain in my upper right arm. I tried to ignore it and go back to sleep, tossing and turning, waiting for the pain to subside but it didn't. My heart started to pound. I got up and did some arm windmills, got a glass of water and waited for the pain to stop. It didn't, and my mind started to race. I started pacing, hyperventilating. The pain in my arm didn't stop. My chest started to feel tight. After about 10 minutes of this, I was getting extremely panicked and worried. I tried everything I could to calm down but couldn't stop the thought train that already started. This is pretty atypical of me, as I can usually talk myself out of a thought spiral and I have zero health anxiety, generally. I finally woke my partner and told him something was wrong and I needed to go to the hospital. I remember I was so lightheaded, it was hard for me to get out the door to the car. During the 15 minute drive to the hospital, I felt like I was going to pass out. My vision was narrowing, my heart was pounding so hard and fast, and it felt like an elephant was sitting on my chest. Looking back now, this is probably because I wasn't breathing properly and I was asphyxiating. We made it to the hospital and my partner had to walk me to the ER. During my 4 hour visit, I was prescribed an anti-nausea medication and 10mg of an anti-anxiety medication called Hydroxyzine. I was put on an IV and administered fluids and Valium. I had an EKG and bloodwork done. Everything came back normal except for my CO2 levels in my blood (due to hyperventilation). The doctor who helped me said it was anxiety and she didn't think Prozac was the cause, since I had already been taking it about 6 weeks. I told my psychiatrist what happened and she wasn't concerned. 

After that, I didn't have another massive wave of panic attacks for 3 weeks. All of the episodes post-ER visit felt like: rushes of unbearable heat shooting up my arms and my neck and head. My heart feeling like it was beating out of my chest, palpitations, nausea, diarrhea, and vomiting. Feeling like I needed to get outside and run a marathon. Shortly after my second episode, I told my psychiatrist that while I was willing to stick it out another 4 weeks to hit the 12 week mark--she mentioned might be necessary for the medication to take effect--this was debilitating and I literally couldn't function for an entire day when this happened. It always happened in the middle of the night, and I was having trouble sleeping at this point. Every time I had these episodes, it was for hours on end, and even a high dosage of Hydroxyzine (50mg+) took a long time to knock me out. I was in absolute agony. The only things that remotely helped besides the Hydroxyzine was breathing exercises (highly recommend the app One Deep Breath) and going for walks. At the end of every panic attack episode, I would pass out, sitting up, from exhaustion. 

At some point, I started researching adverse side effects of Prozac and SSRIs in general, and found what I experienced was not normal and was considered a rare, adverse effect. After telling my psychiatrist how I felt after the second episode, she said we could switch to Lexapro whenever I was ready and told me to taper off and take half a capsule over the next week before our face-to-face appointment, and then we'd start 10mg of Lexapro. My last dose of Prozac was on May 9th, 2024, almost exactly two months after starting. I never took the Lexapro and decided to stop seeing my psychiatrist whilst resuming therapy. As long as the waves of hours long panic attacks stopped, which were caused by the medication, I would persevere through the withdrawal symptoms. 

After CTing Prozac on May 9th, I had 3 more panic attack episodes, about a week apart; May 13th, 23rd, and 27th. I'm happy to report I haven't experienced a full on 4hr+ panic attack episode since May 27th, though I've had several unpleasant withdrawal symptoms, which I'll paste below.

What has helped me most: 
reading these forums, reading the Facebook group I mentioned earlier, Hydroxyzine, avoiding certain foods, breathing exercises, gardening, meditation, CBD, low dose Melatonin, various YouTube videos, and ASMR videos for the nights when I'm wired and can't sleep. 

My WD symptoms since CTing Prozac: 

general anxiety
emotionless
extreme irritability

angry/impatient
loss of appetite
loss of libido
speaking problems (using wrong word, etc.)
upper body heat waves
suicidal ideation
sleep abnormally hot
feeling full from food much sooner than normal
upper back pain, feels like burning
spiraling, obsessive thoughts, rumination
trouble sleeping--lots of waking up throughout the night and typically early to rise 
sound/visual sensitivity--can't watch action movies 
nausea
feelings of dread
breathlessness
dizzy/lightheaded/feeling like passing out
chest tightness on right side and behind sternum 
pounding heart beat
internal itching(?)
like my skull is going to collapse in on itself (not pain, just a freaky sensation)
tickle in throat & persistent cough (especially when anxious, trying to sleep)
derealization
headache
sharp stabbing pain from right side of neck up to skull
cranial pressure 
feeling like passing out, almost floating? like my head is trying to rise from my body
anxiety being at home (which used to be my happy place and comfort zone) 

Overall, in the mornings and during the day I usually feel 90% back to normal, and night time is typically not ideal but doable. At the beginning, I had a lot of full "wave" days and had to take much higher doses of Hydroxyzine, now I take 10mg every couple of days or so. The most prevalent symptoms I experience now are anxiety, thought spirals, upper back pain, chest tightness and pain. I very much resonate with the "windows and waves" pattern mentioned in many other threads. 

Some other words that have helped me:

"Stop trying to calm yourself and distract yourself. Trying to control your panic makes your brain feel like you're in more danger, so it increases your anxiety, and that spiral fuels panic attacks. Fear of panic fuels panic. If you want to stop panic, you have to be willing to have it."

"The windows and waves concept is like building a house. You can't have everyone working on the house at the same time. Windows and waves are just what the brain is prioritizing healing that day. Sometimes that comes with a few symptoms and other times it comes with a lot. Maybe some days it takes a break altogether and we get some calm. But building a house is not always pleasant. It can be noisy, messy, and really hard work. Some days are harder than others. Some days there's complications and things go wrong." 

449122668_122187560318069189_9077482623236504230_n.png?ex=668c14c6&is=668ac346&hm=e2048bac784e0be6b7b37a3c7836911efad5afeab902f71fbc76c109e40f0f18&=
449017425_122187560378069189_770292014266080249_n.png?ex=668c14cc&is=668ac34c&hm=2af5b2468ac611602447cd5ea11e31f50d5fbfc72ae153930dda92fdb3490e6d&=
448946571_122187560384069189_2299862903825467131_n.png?ex=668c14db&is=668ac35b&hm=852ea11871f0b151448359794ae355d2b6b3de1a59245eafcd701daa7fe3367d&=

March 2024: Started 20mg Prozac.
April - May 2024: Experienced severe adverse side effects from Prozac. Psych suggested switching to Lexapro.

Early May 2024: CT'd Prozac and did NOT switch to another SSRI.
May 2024 - Present: Going through WDs from Prozac.

"Don't believe everything you think."

Hi Hemly,

Welcome to SA. Thank you for summarizing your drug history in your signature.

9 hours ago, Hemly said:

I very much resonate with the "windows and waves" pattern mentioned in many other threads. 

We have a thread dedicated to this subject at The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization.

As you continue to heal, we recommend avoiding alcohol, marijuana, and be cognizant of caffeine and sugar intake. 

Thanks,

Firefly

Pre- October 2022: Wellbutrin, Escitalopram, CitalopramSertraline, Adderall IR, Vyvanse, Propranolol, Buspar, Ativan, and Latuda

Oct 13, 2022 - Oct 24, 2022 and Oct 31, 2022 - Present: Zyprexa (2.5 mg). Jan 14, 2023 -> Began transition to liquid suspension. Jan 29, 2023 = 2.375mg -> Feb 12, 2023 = 2.25mg -> Feb 27, 2023 = 2.14mg -> Mar 12, 2023 = 2.025mg -> Mar 27, 2023 = 1.93mg -> Apr 10, 2023 = 1.82mg -> Apr 23, 2023 = 1.74mg -> May 7, 2023 = 1.64mg -> May 21, 2023 = 1.56mg -> June 4, 2023 = 1.48mg -> June 19, 2023 = 1.4mg -> July 2, 2023 = 1.33mg -> July 16, 2023 = 1.26mg -> July 31, 2023 = 1.2mg -> Aug 13, 2023 = 1.14mg -> Aug 27, 2023 = 1.08mg -> Sep 13, 2023 = 1.02mg -> Jan 22, 2024 = 0.97mg -> Feb 4, 2024 = 0.92mg -> Feb 19, 2024 = 0.87mg -> Mar 3, 2024 = 0.83mg -> Mar 17, 2024 = 0.78mg -> Mar 31, 2024 = 0.74mg -> Apr 14, 2024 = 0.7mg -> Apr 28, 2024 = 0.66mg -> May 12, 2024 = 0.63mg -> May 27, 2024 = 0.6mg -> June 9, 2024 = 0.57mg -> June 24, 2024 = 0.54mg -> July 6, 2024 = 0.51mg

Oct 14, 2022 - Present: Prozac (40mg) upped from 20mg on Nov 1, 2022.

Oct 31, 2022 - Present: Gabapentin (300mg 3x day) -> May 3, 2023 = 300mg 2x day -> Oct 1, 2023 = 570mg -> Oct 15, 2023 = 540mg -> Oct 29, 2023 = 510mg -> Nov 13, 2023 = 484mg -> Nov 27, 2023 = 460mg -> Dec 9, 2023 = 436mg -> Dec 24, 2023 = 414mg -> Jan 7, 2024 = 400mg

Yesterday was one of the worst ones I've had in quite some time. High anxiety and chest tightness for most of the day. Took a dose of CBD (no THC) in the early afternoon, and had to take a hydroxyzine (10mg) and melatonin (1mg) to get to sleep. 

It's hot where I live, upwards of 100°F, and I've noticed the heat makes my symptoms worse. Which makes sense to me because even before medication, my anxiety and irritability were heightened when it was very hot out. 

Lately, I've been taking solace in getting outside, whether that be into nature or into my garden. Unfortunately, I don't have either of those escapes this week as it's just too hot to be outside for more than a few minutes. So I'm stuck inside, with my thoughts, gaming on my PC. Again, something that used to bring me great comfort and distraction, but since WDs, has probably done me more harm than good. 

Here's to a better day. 🪟

April - May 2024: Experienced severe adverse side effects from Prozac. Psych suggested switching to Lexapro.

Well, yesterday, again was pretty poor. Nearly three days of waves and boy, I'm feeling it. I decided to try out The Sims 4 (The Sims was always a calming game to me) to help keep me distracted from my bodily sensations. I felt like **** but I got through the day, as I knew I would. Appetite was lacking so I didn't eat much compared to a more "regular" day. Didn't take a hydroxyzine as I try not to do that daily, but I did end the day with a 1mg melatonin and Honey, I Shrunk the Kids.

Trying to find more tv shows and movies that don't worsen my anxiety. Things I've watched a lot in the past always feel like a safe space--LoTR, The Hobbit, Star Wars, Harry Potter, Gilmore Girls, Supernatural... Since I know what's going to happen, it takes the anxiety out of watching. I've also been spending a lot of time on Disney+ for animated films. I watched Inside Out a couple nights ago and that was inoffensive. 

It's just... So rough when you're in a wave, because it feels like you're never going to get out. I have to keep reminding myself that my body is healing and I'll be free of this someday. The mind can be so cruel... But, again, I have to tell myself that it isn't the real me talking. The suicidal thoughts and "you deserve XYZ" aren't me. My brain is doing its best to rebuild. 

An upside is I'm feeling fairly well this morning, and it's supposed to be sub-100°, thank goodness. Hoping for a window today, because I need a break from the waves. 

Something else I want to add before I forget--these past few days I've started to feel bad almost immediately, like within an hour of waking, which isn't the pattern I've experienced so far. Usually, I would feel great when I woke up and the anxiety/physical sensations would come later in the day. Night time always being the worst of it. I'd like to think the sudden unpredictability of it--timing and symptoms changing slightly--means I'm progressing through WDs. Fingers crossed. 

Update since it's been nearly five days.

Pretty much same as always: anxiety and chest tightness ramps up in the evening. The past four days have been decent windows, I only had to take hydroxyzine Friday night and last night. Friday I had a social evening, went to a winery with my partner, my mom, and her friends. Had to turn down wine and alcohol a lot that evening--I can't expect anyone to understand why. "I'm experiencing withdrawals from an antidepressant and don't want to further disturb my central nervous system," doesn't seem to resonate with people I've had to tell so far. Some people ask, "Have you tried XYZ antidepressant? It works great for me!" and "Alcohol will only calm you down, it should help!" and "You should talk to a doctor about this!" I know it's well meaning, and like I said, I don't expect anyone to understand but boy... It's irritating.

Also, I bought an acupressure mat recently (recommended from other posts here on SA) that I find helps a lot to distract me from, what my brain would consider, worrisome physical symptoms of withdrawal. I exclusively use it at night while practicing slow breathing. Highly recommend to those who need to get their mind off their symptoms. 

To wrap up, I want to share one of my favorite posts I've found on this forum so far. It has helped me immensely every day, and especially on the hard days. 

11 hours ago, Hemly said:

Some people ask, "Have you tried XYZ antidepressant? It works great for me!" and "Alcohol will only calm you down, it should help!" and "You should talk to a doctor about this!" I know it's well meaning, and like I said, I don't expect anyone to understand but boy... It's irritating.

I totally get this! I've had a few people tell me, "oh, have you tried Xanax? I've been on it for years and it's really helped me." Even my doctor told me this! I'm like great, good for you but no thanks! I'm trying to get away from this crap so why would I start taking more of it?! I've been on and off Prozac for 15 years and accidentally CT'ed. 5.5 months out and reinstated 6 weeks ago hoping to get some stability. Hoping things get better for you!

Cymbalta - 2005-2008 - quit CT with no issues 

2008-2013 - on and off Fluoxetine with no issues

Fluoxetine - January 2013 - October 2016

Switched to Cymbalta - October 2016

Quit Cymbalta CT - January 26, 2017 -9 1/2 months of WD

Fluoxetine & Gabapentin - February 2017

Slow taper of Gabapentin - May 2017

Taper Fluoxetine 20mg to 5mg - September 2023 - January 2024 (now I know too fast)

Last 5mg dose of Fluoxetine - January 31, 2024 (now I know considered CT)

WD started February 7, 2024

*Reinstated .1ml Fluoxetine 6/11/24, .2ml 6/18, .3ml 6/25, .4ml 7/8, .5ml 7/15 - symptoms increased went back down to .4ml 7/20

WD symptoms: nausea and insomnia are the worst, bouts of anxiety, depression, fear/dread, emotional and lots of crying, loss of appetite, lost a lot of weight, constipation, sensitive teeth, hair falling out, sensitive to noise, body aches and pains/sciatica, dry mouth, Vagus nerve dysfunction, blurred vision, weird feeling like my shirt is choking me even though it's nowhere near my throat, acid reflux, chemical/metallic taste in my mouth, lump in my throat feeling, pins and needles sensations, tingling in my back, air hunger

Well, somehow I found myself down a rabbit hole last night of "Let's Google my symptoms!" because my brain would like to convince me there's something awfully wrong inside my body and I actually have a blood clot or cancer or a clogged artery or something like that. So of course, my anxiety and physical symptoms have been through the roof. Had to take a hydroxyzine last night and woke up at 5am this morning. Once I can feel my heart pounding in my chest and the heat waves come over me, I submit and accept I won't be getting anymore sleep. So, I got up, went into my office, and started reading all of the things that I know help me get out of the thought spiral. Also, can I just say how whack it is that I never had health anxiety before my massive panic attacks from Prozac? And now it's a daily occurrence. Jeez. 

Anyway, something I've found mentioned multiple times in regards to accepting these physical sensations is noticing the narrative you're building in your head about it, and accept the feelings as they are, without a story attached. There's a video from Therapy in a Nutshell on YouTube which absolutely flipped a switch in my head weeks ago, when I was struggling with the panic and thought loops big time. Also, user hood.winkler on Instagram posted a video with the following transcript, which I found to be helpful in describing the "physical sensation to problem solving brain" pipeline. 

"The only way I've found relief from overthinking has been through the process of 'dropping into my body.' I've spent the majority of my life intellectualizing my emotions. Eventually, I was like, 'There has to be another way,' because I've been struggling with the same things and I'm using my mind as a problem solving tool, and no problems are getting solved.

So this is what I found: what's happening is there is an uncomfortable physical sensation, and because I don't like this sensation, I bring it up into my mind and say, 'Let me analyze this! Let's try to solve this discomfort.' I would rephrase a sensation into a story-based problem. This process is all up in my head, so the uncomfortable physical sensation (anxiety, fear, grief) doesn't change. It remains, because you're not actually dealing with the physical sensation, which is the root of what you're feeling. It doesn't work, largely because it keeps you very attached to narratives about yourself. When you're constantly thinking about why you're feeling something, usually you're relating it to who you are as a person or what you have experienced in the past. Which doesn't allow you to grow past a narrative. It also doesn't solve anything because you're not actually feeling the sensation. How you get over it is realizing this problem solving you're doing in your head does not actually matter or help at all.

Here's what you do instead: notice the urge to pull up stories, narratives, and problem solve. Drop into your body. Allow your body to feel the sensation without a story in your head. 'I feel tightness in my stomach, 'I feel heaviness in my chest.' Sometimes a story will emerge from those feelings but they're not synonymous. Just let it be a story." 

It always helps reassure and calm me down, typing these thoughts out. 🙂

4 minutes ago, ShantyO7 said:

I'm like great, good for you but no thanks! I'm trying to get away from this crap so why would I start taking more of it?! I've been on and off Prozac for 15 years and accidentally CT'ed. 5.5 months out and reinstated 6 weeks ago hoping to get some stability. Hoping things get better for you!

Couldn't have said it better myself. I had severe adverse reactions to Prozac, why in the world would I want to try another SSRI?! 

Thank you, friend. I just read through the first post in your introduction. Sending you good, healing vibes. We'll get through this!

Rough day. Had to take a hydroxyzine in the morning... Feels like I got hit with all the symptoms today. Chest tightness and catastrophizing have been absolutely brutal. It's such a weird feeling knowing this is chemical anxiety, that these are symptoms caused by the medication, but I still can't talk my brain out of making stuff up. I've been using all my lifelines. I've also noticed that my symptoms have gotten worse around my menstrual cycle two months in a row. Something something, biological cycles. I'm positive it doesn't improve matters! 

I didn't mention this in my initial post, but I was part of a company-wide layoff at the end of April, and honestly, it came at a fantastic time because there is no conceivable way I would've been able to do my job experiencing the horrific hours-long panic attacks, or going through WDs. I'm thinking of this as a mini retirement, and I'm incredibly fortunate to be able to do so. However, family members have mentioned to me they think I should make greater efforts to "get back out there" because it would be a great distraction for my symptoms. It sounds nice initially, but then I have wave days like this, and I'm like... Wow. How could I possibly do a job for 8hrs a day? It feels almost disingenuous to take a job knowing I can't realistically perform at even 50% capacity for multiple days per month. 

I disclose that I have disabilities on every job application I've filled out, but what am I supposed to do if I get hired? Ask my employer to let me have random days off every month??? I was lucky to get an employee referral for a job opening earlier today, and I was so excited about it for about 30 minutes until... Boom. Symptoms. Then I remembered what I'm going through and was immediately discouraged because, again... How am I supposed to work? 

Ah, well. I'm not about the "woe is me" mindset, I'm an optimist, even though I've really been feeling it today. My symptoms are subsiding now, I've taken my melatonin--no hydroxyzine tonight!--I'm alive, fed, safe, and loved. I have so much to look forward to. I can do this. We all can do this.

And I'm about to go snuggle up in a blanket and watch Cars for the ∼15th time in two weeks (okay, more like fall asleep to). Ka-chow. 🚗

It's hard to believe I'm saying this but yesterday was great! For the most part. I had a couple emotionally difficult events I had to deal with, and I noticed (rightfully so) I was very anxious during those. However, I kept my cool and reminded myself there was nothing for me to do but accept the sensations, the circumstances, and keep doing what I was doing. I wasn't fighting against it. I accepted it. I taught my brain that we are safe in those situations. I made it through. 

I think most of us know the media we consume has a profound impact on our lives. Which is why I've stayed away from most social media, and certain movie/music genres as my brain/CNS adjusts to the lack of medication.

I share this because I found an amazing podcast: Disordered: Anxiety Help. The hosts are men, a psychotherapist and therapist-in-training, who've struggled with anxiety disorders, panic disorders, depression, agoraphobia, intrusive thoughts, and obsessive compulsive behaviors.

I've gotta say, they are so affirming and healing. I've listened in the double digits at this point. They address every single thing I've experienced between my GAD, SAD, agoraphobia, and fear of driving. And the best part? It's evidence-based and actionable! Seriously cannot recommend this podcast enough if you need help or you just need something to listen to. I've already learned so much and it's had a direct impact on how I've been dealing with my anxiety.

I woke up this morning at 2am needing to pee, upset stomach, nausea, racing pulse, chest pain and tightness, sweating, dizziness. I had a bowel movement 5-10 minutes after I peed. From what I gather, there's a relationship between adrenaline rushes and needing to use the bathroom. There's also correlation between SSRIs and increased adrenaline. Cortisol is also affected? So now, I'm thinking... This whole time, I thought I was having panic attacks, but it was actually repetitive surges of adrenaline caused by the Prozac! Absolutely mind blown. Regardless of classification, it still feels like utter ****, but it's another reassurance I'm not crazy. 

Next Friday I'll have been off Prozac for 3 months, and I'm going on my family's annual week-long camping trip. I know full well I'll have a few days of waves while I'm there, but I refuse to miss out because of withdrawals. Last night, during the adrenaline surges, I told myself that nothing was wrong with me, these feelings would pass.

My intrusive thoughts said, "Oh my god! You feel your heart pounding? You can't get enough air! What if this is it? What if you die here? You should get up and pace around. You're not helping just sitting around doing nothing. You're not calming down. It's just going to get worse!"

Meanwhile, my rational brain is like, "Listen. Just sit down at your desk, put your podcast on, take deep breaths, and keep your butt in that seat. Don't listen to Craig the Critic. Actually, do the opposite of anything Craig (the irrational, pessimistic thought) says." I learned that from the Disordered podcast. And would you believe it? It actually works. I felt awful but the surges passed in about 45 minutes. I got myself a glass of cold water, sat down at my desk, put the podcast on, grabbed a big hoodie, and laid my head down. I even made myself stop leg shaking and fidgeting with my hands, because Craig said to keep doing it. 

Kick rocks, Craig. My rational mind is stronger.