PrimusIndigo: Will my emotions come back?

PrimusIndigo

Hey everyone, 

I was on Prozac for 7 months, started July of 2023 and cold turkey quit March 13th of 2024. So far it’s been almost 4 months off and at the beginning of month 3, my depression and anxiety returned with a vengeance. 
I’ve quit 3 jobs in the last 2 months, I can’t socialize with my friends or family. I just have nothing to say. I’m honestly just a shell of myself. 
I have severe anxiety bouts, where seemingly out of nowhere I start to hyperventilate and want to cry. I self isolate. 
I don’t understand what’s going on, whether this is just me or if it’s withdrawal from the meds. 
Is this permanent? How can I make things better without going back on medication? 

July 2023- 20mg fluoxetine

cold turkey 

March 13, 2024-  0mg fluoxetine 

• Erimus changed the title to RealName: Will my emotions come back?

Hello, and welcome to Surviving Antidepressants. We are a peer support forum to assist in tapering off psychiatric drugs safely, or recovering from psychiatric drug withdrawal.

Your first task is to create a drug signature, with the following:

• All current medication you take, the dose you take, when you started the drug, and when you made dose changes
  • All current supplements you take
  • An accurate history of recent drugs, taken in the last 12-24 months
  • Dates for recent should be written as 7 Oct 2023, or Oct 7 2023, or early Oct 2023, or mid Oct 2023
  • A history of drugs taken 24 months ago and beyond - if applicable
  • Dates for historical drugs can simply be listed as start and stop years
  • Please do not use 07/10/23 // 10/07/23 as this is intepreted differently around the world

• Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. See my signature for example of clear and concise information.

Active Monday-Friday UK time

Taper calculator spreadsheet

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

50mg - Oct 2020, 100mg - Dec 2020, 50mg - April 2021, 75mg - May 2021, 50mg - Sep 2021, 55mg - 23 Feb 2024, 60mg - 20 March 2024, Start tapering - 24 April 2024

Current dose: 55.09mg  (1 July 2024)

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

Fish oils, Magnesium, Vitamin C

• Erimus changed the title to PrimusIndigo: Will my emotions come back?

You are experiencing withdrawal symptoms from abruptly stopping fluoxetine. Due to the half-life of the liver metabolites for fluoxetine it is very common for withdrawal symptoms to hit 3 months after cessation. I would suggest you reinstate a very small amount of the drug to try and stabilise your nervous system. A sensible starting point would be 0.5mg.

The easiest way to do this would be with liquid from the pharmacy, if this is not available the next best is a homemade suspension. You would need to measure out 20ml of water, open your capsule and tip all the powder in. This would give you a suspension of 20mg/20ml, which equals 1mg/ml. You can then use a 1ml syringe, which can be purchased at most pharmacies, to draw up 0.5ml. The suspension will keep for 4-5 days before you need to dispose of it and create a new batch.

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

50mg - Oct 2020, 100mg - Dec 2020, 50mg - April 2021, 75mg - May 2021, 50mg - Sep 2021, 55mg - 23 Feb 2024, 60mg - 20 March 2024, Start tapering - 24 April 2024

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

Posted (edited)

Hi,

First off, thank you for your help in getting my profile established.
Secondly, I just recently hit 4 months off Prozac and I’m feeling better. My physical withdrawal symptoms didn’t last very long and they were present a few weeks after stopping cold turkey. I’ve just been so utterly depressed and anxious lately.
I have been taking cbd gummies for the last several nights and that’s been helping with my mood. Plus counseling too, to help me make more sense of things.
After analyzing things, I am really unsure as to whether or not my depression is solely because of withdrawal or if it’s because of the impulsive decisions I made in a manic episode immediately after cessation.
I quit 2 jobs in 2 months, plus moving so that right there is already stressful. Now I work for a construction/landscape company I’ve worked for in the past and have never enjoyed working for.
My depression has been worse than it’s ever been, socially isolating myself, and lots and lots of emotional breakdowns.
Like I said though, I started taking cbd+thc edibles at night and I think the cbd has been helping my anxiety. I used to be a big pothead while on antidepressants too, so I’m sure that wasn’t good for me.
I don’t know if I’m in a “window” or if I’m finally starting to come out from under depression.
can I ask your thoughts?
thanks 

Edited by Erimus
Fixed text

July 2023- 20mg fluoxetine

cold turkey 

March 13, 2024-  0mg fluoxetine 

Be careful using CBD products when you are in a state of antidepressant withdrawal.

The depression and anxiety is because you have rapidly removed the drug, your receptors have not returned to normal, and so you have a huge void of serotonin in your brain. It's up to your whether you want to continue pushing on, but we are not advocates for suffering when there is often better options.

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS: