Putacatonit: Coming off Effexor

putacatonit

Hi all. I’ve been lurking here for a while but thought I’d post finally. I’ve been tapering from 300mg Effexor/Venlafaxine since July 2023. I’ve been on Effexor for 11 years, iirc. Before that I was on Paxil since age 9.

I got down to 100mg Effexor in May and made the (regrettable) decision to try to bridge with Prozac due to increasing intrusive thoughts and OCD symptoms. 

After 2 weeks on 10mg Prozac I was hit with terrible anxiety, so I stopped the Prozac immediately on June 9, and then got hit with what seemed like Effexor withdrawal. I went up to 150mg Effexor to stabilize - and felt better within 90 minutes of the additional dose - and I’m currently holding. 

I’ve been having windows and waves the past month. Right now I’m very activated when I wake up: anxiety, adrenaline, rapid thoughts and diarrhea.

I think this might be Prozac withdrawal since it has such a long half life? Not sure. Fortunately I’m stable enough to still function but this feels never ending. 

1998?-2012 Paxil - 10-30mg (started when I was 9 years old)

2012 - Lexapro - two weeks as a bridge for getting off Paxil, failed miserably

2012-2019 - Effexor - 225mg

April 2019-July 2023 - Effexor - 300mg

July 2023 - began tapering off of Effexor

May 2024 - tapered down to 100mg of Effexor

May-June 2024 - 10mg Prozac as a bridge - CT’d after bad reaction after 2 weeks of taking it

Present - Effexor - 150mg - holding for now

Current supplements: myoinositol, omega-3, vitamin D, magnesium glycinate, Berberine, l-theanine, ashgawanda

• LotusRising changed the title to Putacatonit: Coming off Effexor

Hi @putacatonit,

Welcome to SA,

2 hours ago, putacatonit said:

I think this might be Prozac withdrawal since it has such a long half life? Not sure. Fortunately I’m stable enough to still function but this feels never ending. 

I think this might be related to the sudden discontinuation of the effexor for two weeks, followed by a large updose, rather than prozac withdrawal. Your body is likely trying to find stability.

What was the date you dropped to 100mg of effexor? Was June 9 the day you restarted effexor, or was there some time in between?

2003-2009 on and off various SSRI's for short periods, Ativan prn

2010-2011 Ativan, up to 1.5mg/day - tapered off without issue

2013-2021 ativan 1-1.5mg 10-12x/month, daily starting Oct 21 to help with buspar WD

2016 - Effexor 75mg, short-term

2021 Mar -Jun Buspar ADR at high dose, tapered 3 months

2021 Aug Wellbutrin 150mg for 5 days (ADR), then MIrtazapine 7.5mg for 7 days (ADR)

Oct 22/21 - Direct switch ativan to clonazepam (don't do this)

Tapered clonaz Oct/21 - Apr/23  - 0mg!

Supplements: omega-3, mag-glycinate

"Believe that your tragedies, your losses, your sorrows, your hurt, happened for you, not to you. And I bless the thing that broke you down and cracked you open, because the world needs you open" - Rebecca Campbell

*** Disclaimer: Please note, my suggestions/comments are based on my own personal experiences. Please consult a knowledgeable practitioner to discuss decisions regarding your medical care *** 

*** Please do not send me PM's ***

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, LotusRising said:

Hi @putacatonit,

Welcome to SA,

I think this might be related to the sudden discontinuation of the effexor for two weeks, followed by a large updose, rather than prozac withdrawal. Your body is likely trying to find stability.

What was the date you dropped to 100mg of effexor? Was June 9 the day you restarted effexor, or was there some time in between?

Sorry for the confusion. I never went off the Effexor. I took 100mg alongside 10mg of Prozac for two weeks. I had been on the 100mg Effexor dosage for two weeks prior to that and had been stable. 

May 12 - 10% taper of Effexor to 100mg

May 22 - cross-tapered and added Prozac 10mg, taking Effexor 100mg as well

June 8 - stopped Prozac, still taking 100mg Effexor 

June 9 - increased Effexor to 150mg

I can’t go longer than 36 hours without taking any Effexor. The withdrawals are too brutal. 

Strangely it seemed like Prozac made the Effexor less effective? I don’t know if that’s scientifically possible but the withdrawal symptoms I was having June 8-12 felt like it. 

I felt okay until June 23 when I started having WD symptoms again, which I attributed to the Prozac. 

Edited by putacatonit
Clarity

May-June 2024 - 10mg Prozac as a bridge - CT’d after bad reaction after 2 weeks of taking it

Current supplements: myoinositol, omega-3, vitamin D, magnesium glycinate, Berberine, l-theanine, ashgawanda

@putacatonit

1 hour ago, putacatonit said:

Sorry for the confusion. I never went off the Effexor. I took 100mg alongside 10mg of Prozac for two weeks. I had been on the 100mg Effexor dosage for two weeks prior to that and had been stable. 

Oh, ok, I see.

Is there a reason you jumped up to 150mg, rather than going back to your previous dose? It's possible your body had already adapted to the 100mg dose and is confused by the large increase.

2013-2021 ativan 1-1.5mg 10-12x/month, daily starting Oct 21 to help with buspar WD

2021 Aug Wellbutrin 150mg for 5 days (ADR), then MIrtazapine 7.5mg for 7 days (ADR)

"Believe that your tragedies, your losses, your sorrows, your hurt, happened for you, not to you. And I bless the thing that broke you down and cracked you open, because the world needs you open" - Rebecca Campbell

*** Disclaimer: Please note, my suggestions/comments are based on my own personal experiences. Please consult a knowledgeable practitioner to discuss decisions regarding your medical care *** 

In my haze of withdrawal symptoms I thought 50mg was about the equivalent of the Prozac 10mg I was taking and then discontinuing. If that makes sense. 

I probably should’ve gone back to 112mg instead, now that I’m thinking more clearly. It’s now been 4 weeks and some change since I jumped from 100 to 150mg of Effexor. 

Today my anxiety has been high but I made the mistake of having cold brew yesterday afternoon, which I think made it hard to sleep. So I’m running on 4 hours of sleep. 

When I get at least 8 hours, though, I mostly wake up activated. I’m thankful that overall I’ve still been able to sleep, although not as much as I used to (before this I tended to sleep 9-10 hours). 

43 minutes ago, putacatonit said:

It’s now been 4 weeks and some change since I jumped from 100 to 150mg of Effexor. 

Do you feel like your symptoms have been improving over the 4 weeks?

Just now, LotusRising said:

Do you feel like your symptoms have been improving over the 4 weeks?

Yes, I’ve been feeling better than earlier in June. Had a setback today like I mentioned but I’m not holed up in bed, at least. 

31 minutes ago, putacatonit said:

Today my anxiety has been high but I made the mistake of having cold brew yesterday afternoon, which I think made it hard to sleep. So I’m running on 4 hours of sleep. 

This is a really good observation that you made. Avoid alcohol as much as you can.

Alcohol and AD related instability do not mix well at all.

A single beer can send you into a wave. It's not uncommon I believe!

I hope that you can feel better soon

Take care!

Supplements: Vit D3, Fish oil, Magnesium bisglycenate 200mg (when needed), Melatonin 1.25mg (when needed), Camomile tea (1 cup before bed), THC oil (0.03ml once a week, don't do this to yourself), Vit C 500mg a day
Started effexor in 2011.

Stopped effexor in 2012 (fast tamper).

Got back on effexor in 2012.

Tried stopping effexor again in 2014 (I'm not sure?), fast tamper again.

Started effexor again in 2014.

Switched to Escitalopram in 2016 I believe

Stopped Escitalopram 10mg cold turkey on January 3 2024.

Reinstated Escitalopram 5mg on april 2 2024.

Down to 1mg on april 3 2024, 1.25mg on april 11 2024

6 minutes ago, Tweed9674 said:

This is a really good observation that you made. Avoid alcohol as much as you can.

Alcohol and AD related instability do not mix well at all.

A single beer can send you into a wave. It's not uncommon I believe!

I hope that you can feel better soon

Take care!

I’ve definitely been avoiding alcohol. Fortunately I’ve never been much of a drinker. Booze makes me sweaty. 

Coffee though…I miss it!

4 hours ago, putacatonit said:

Yes, I’ve been feeling better than earlier in June. Had a setback today like I mentioned but I’m not holed up in bed, at least. 

It sounds like you're moving in the right direction then. Might want to hold where you're at until your symptoms settle out.