Stasya: Risperdone and Thinking

Stasya

Hello everyone!

I'm writing my first question in a moment of great need. I've been taking Risperidone and one other neuroleptic for 4 months now, and recently I began to feel like I'm losing my thinking (!!!). Like, really it got harder and harder for me to think in a matter of days (!!!). I'm ashamed it's even hard for me to write this very question *crying*.

What I want to ask is if those of you who have taken Risperdone in the past have experienced the same thing? (As knowing this would help me eliminate other possible causes of my suffering.)

Sorry for my bad writing and a big thank you in advance!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Satsya and welcome to SA.

I'm not able to help with your question but it would be helpful to know what dose of Risperidone you are taking and also the name and dose of the other neuroleptic.  This will be helpful for when someone with more knowledge drops by here.  Thanks.

CC

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Stacya , welcome to the site.

It's likely not just the risperdone , but the interaction between that and the other meds. you're

taking that's affecting your thinking.

Many people here have had the same problem from psychiatric drugs , so it's nothing to be embarrassed

or ashamed about. This site is designed to help you work things out and to stop them safely.

It's very important not to stop them suddenly , or you can get very sick.

Once you give us names and dosages of ALL the meds you've taken, we can go from there.

If you click FOLLOW at the top right , you'll receive an email each time someone posts.

Best wishes , Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Stasya,

I'm sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well since starting on psyche drugs. They all have side effects and over time can cause worse symptoms than they are supposed to treat. In my opinion these drugs should only be used in the most serious of cases and only for very short times.

As Fresh wrote, we are a support site for helping people safely taper from their medication, we don't support discussions about various drugs or their side effects, there are other sites better suited for that, you may want to try the crazymeds forum.

You can use drugs.com to check for interactions between your current drugs.

If you decide that coming off your medication is the right decision for you, this is the best place to get information and support with safe tapering. Please don't suddenly stop taking your medication because that can also cause harm.

Let us know if you would like help and support with coming off your drugs.

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Moderator Emeritus

That is what anti-psychotics do - they slow the brain down.  I was prescribed anti-psychotics a couple of times (not risperidone), for sleep and anxiety, not psychosis, and I definitely noticed that my brain became very quiet, and I hardly spoke as thoughts didn't enter my head.

What is your other neuroleptic, and for what reason were they prescribed, and at what doses?  What about previous med history?

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

Hi, Stasya!

I was taking Risperidone and I also had problems with cognition (thinking, memory, concentration, coordination etc.). Especially it was difficult to function on high doses (I even had to leave my job, because my brain was switched off).  A long time ago I was also taking Haloperidol for 1,5 month and feelings were the same. After Respiridone I was taking 2 more neuroleptics – Quetiapine and Saphris, they were not good things too, but for me they were much better then Risperidone and Haloperidol.

It is difficult to say something else now without knowing your situation in detail.

What is your other neuroleptic, and for what reason were they prescribed, and at what doses?  What about previous med history?

+1

And I also want to say, that this is the right place, if you have decided to taper from psychotropic drugs. I came to this site, because I could not find anything useful in RuNet. I think  I checked all possible websites and forums, but they are all pro-med. I did not see even a single place where people talk about tapering. If someone doubts the effectiveness of AD’s, neuroleptics or any other drug he is immidietely called “ignorant” and then suggested to see the ptherapist again. If someone tries to talk about how he feels during his tapering,all forum members will try to proof that this problem does not exist. If you don’t agree they will simply ban you.

As for Respiridone and other neuroleptics, I would also mention that Russian doctors often prescribe it to patients without any reason. You don't have to experience psychotic symptoms, to be aggressive or something like that. For example, last time I was prescribed Respiridone, because of 2 reasons – 1) anxiety and weight loss; 2) insomnia and bad dreams in the night. I have no doubt that my psychiatrist was in the loop and knew that Respiridone perfectly helps to get weight back (and even much more), helps to sleep all day long and helps to destroy energy so patient doesn’t come and  bother doctors with his stupid dreams... Really “wise” decision, isn’t it?

Well, this is just my own experience, and may be your story is different. I look forward to the continuation of your story.

Good luck! And, since today it is 7 of January – I wish you a merry Christmas!

1992 - Antidepressants, Antipsychotics and benzodiazepines in hospital for about 1,5 month, with PTSD diagnosed. Then I abruptly stopped taking pills. W/d for few months and then no symptoms for many years.

2013 – Doctor prescribes Paxil, Amitriptyline, Risperidone due to insomnia, anxiety and weight loss. Then it starts a long story about changing diagnosis and adding/changing meds. I started to taper in December 2014. Severe withdrawal symptoms for  4 months. Then the 1st window.

April 2015 – meds free. June, July – the first big window which lasted until mid-October. Then a wave again, but this time with new strange symptoms I’ve never had before.

Greetings ChessieCat, Fresh, Petunia, Sonbird, Ayaa!

Please forgive me my delayed response: I've been feeling very sick due to doing the stupid thing I haven't told you about which was going too quickly with reducing dose of the other, typical neuroleptic I take (called Сhlorprothixene) from 60 mg to 30 mg 10 days ago. :(  Still let me say thank you for all your supportive answers: it means a lot!

(I will post my answer in increments as it's very hard for me to concentrate, I hope you understand!)

• Moderator Emeritus

Just go at your own pace Stasya. Your answer above already helps.

This is the interaction between risperidone and chlorproxithene (chlorpromazine) from www.drugs.com:

"Moderate

chlorpromazine risperidone

Applies to: chlorpromazine, risperidone

Using chlorproMAZINE together with risperiDONE may increase side effects such as drowsiness, blurred vision, dry mouth, heat intolerance, flushing, decreased sweating, difficulty urinating, abdominal cramping, constipation, rapid heart beats, confusion, and memory problems. "

However bad the interaction is , by cutting your dose in half you're probably experiencing withdrawal symptoms by now.

The thing to do now is get you stable asap. I suggest increasing your Chlorpromazine , though not necessarily all the way up to 60mg again.

Hopefully the more experienced moderators will advise here.

You're going to be okay Stasya. Please click FOLLOW at the top right , so you receive an email each time someone posts here.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Staysa,

Sorry that you haven't been well.  I'm pleased that you have told us what you have taken, because now the mods will be able to offer suggestions knowing the whole story.  We all do stupid things at times so don't beat yourself up over it.

I'm not familiar with Chlorpromazine, but this is the link about Reinstating to Reduce Withdrawal Symptoms which might help you understand why Fresh has suggested increasing the dose a bit (not going back up to the full dose).  As she said, one of the other mods should be able to make a suggestion of how much you might take to reduce the symptoms you are having.

Good luck.  CC

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus

Jeez, you're on two anti-psychotics?  No wonder you can't think.  You've just cut your dose by too much.  Maybe try an intermediate dose, as Fresh has suggested, e.g. 40mg or 50mg.  Once you restabilise, you can make a plan to taper your dose down slowly using small drops.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Stasya,

We need some more information from you before we can offer reliable suggestions.

Are Risperidone and Сhlorprothixene the only medications you are taking at the moment?

What dose of Risperdone are you taking?

Do you have any previous drug history?

What are you plans for medication? We can help you safely taper off your medications or lower the dose, is this why you are here?

Did you start losing your thinking before or after you lowered your dose of Сhlorprothixene? Are you experiencing any other symptoms?

I understand you are having problems with concentrating, but its important we get a complete understanding of your situation if we are going to offer useful suggestions. If you work with us and fill in these details, we will be able to help you sort this out.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

I have got a PM from Stasya’s mother, I think she does not speak English so she wrote me there in Russian. She is saying that Stasya can’t  write anything right now, because she is feeling very bad. I have translated your suggestions about tapering and additional questions.

Reducing dose by 50% (60 mg to 30 mg) in 10 day, it’s too fast, of course! Suggestion about increasing dose till 40-50 mg seems to me reasonable. But I am curious… what do you think is the lesser of two evils – side effects created by interaction between risperidone and chlorproxithene or withdrawal symptoms created by sharply decreased dose of chlorprothixene? I mean, is it possible that negative interaction of drugs can be more harmful then withdrawal symptoms?

Jeez, you're on two anti-psychotics?  No wonder you can't think.

I don’t know why local doctors are very often prescribing 2 neuroleptics together. I did not even mention in my story, that I was also taking chlorprothixene (Truxal) together with risperidone for few weeks. And another neuroleptic Saphris (Asenapine) was given to me with Teraligen. When I asked my therapist, why do I need to take both, he told me that Teraligen (Alimemazini tartars) as well as chlorprothixene is a “very light” (in Russian they are called “minor neuroleptics”), and they are usually given as an addition to the “heavy” neuroleptics such as risperidon.  Chlorprothixene and Teraligen are also often prescribed as sleeping pills and many doctors suggest to take them occasionally (it’s up to patient’s choice – for extra agitation, insomnia etc.). And this is not an exception, but common practice.

1992 - Antidepressants, Antipsychotics and benzodiazepines in hospital for about 1,5 month, with PTSD diagnosed. Then I abruptly stopped taking pills. W/d for few months and then no symptoms for many years.

2013 – Doctor prescribes Paxil, Amitriptyline, Risperidone due to insomnia, anxiety and weight loss. Then it starts a long story about changing diagnosis and adding/changing meds. I started to taper in December 2014. Severe withdrawal symptoms for  4 months. Then the 1st window.

April 2015 – meds free. June, July – the first big window which lasted until mid-October. Then a wave again, but this time with new strange symptoms I’ve never had before.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thankyou Aaya , that's a big help.

To answer your question about the lesser of two evils - we don't know what side effects Stasya was

having , but it sounds like she's more disabled since the 50% cut.

Severe withdrawal can last for many many months. Unless someone is actively suicidal or homicidal (from their adverse drug interaction) , I don't think ANYTHING is worse than what she might go through after this sharp decrease.

There are directions for making a liquid from tablets/capsules here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2693-how-to-make-a-liquid-from-tablets-or-capsules/

Try reading this to understand how to get 10 or 20mg from a 30mg capsule.

We'll wait to hear the responses to Petunia's questions , then we can suggest a plan.

Best wishes , Fresh

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

Stasya’s mum wrote that Risperidone and Сhlorprothixene are not the only medications she is taking at the moment. Besides these drugs she is taking Cipralex, Akineton and Phenibut. She did not provide any information about dosage (I’ll ask again).

The most annoying symptom now is a terrible headache, located basically at the top of the head. Stasya’s mum is saying that they don’t know how to get rid of it. One more important thing – this kind of headache was present before she started to taper Сhlorprothixene.

I don't think ANYTHING is worse than what she might go through after this sharp decrease.

Yes, I agree. Such sharp decrease can worsen present symptoms and cause new ones.

There are directions for making a liquid from tablets/capsules here http://survivinganti...ts-or-capsules/

Thank you for this link, I will carefully read this topic. This is a great idea to make a liquid from drugs. If i knew about this method before I would definitely use it instead of pill crusher.

• Moderator Emeritus

Done a bit of research.  Hope it helps.  CC

From webmd.com:

Phenibut is a chemical similar to a brain chemical called gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA). It is used as medicine.

Phenibut is used for anxiety, fear, trouble sleeping (insomnia), tension, stress, fatigue, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), depression, alcoholism, and irregular heartbeat. It is also used for improving memory, learning, and thinking.

How does it work?

Phenibut is similar to the brain chemical called gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA). Research in animals shows that it might decrease anxiety and have other effects on the body. But phenibut has not been studied in people, so no one knows whether it might work as a medicine.

From Wiki:

Chlorprothixene is a typical antipsychotic drug of the thioxanthene class and was the first of the series to be synthesized. It was introduced in 1959 by Lundbeck. Chlorprothixene is not approved for use in the United States.

*Cipralex didn't come up in the drug checker.  Wiki:  Escitalopram, also known by the brand names Lexapro and Cipralex

Interactions between your selected drugs

Major          Applies to: risperidone, Lexapro (escitalopram)

Using escitalopram together with risperiDONE can increase the risk of an irregular heart rhythm that may be serious and potentially life-threatening, although it is a relatively rare side effect. You may be more susceptible if you have a heart condition called congenital long QT syndrome, other cardiac diseases, conduction abnormalities, or electrolyte disturbances (for example, magnesium or potassium loss due to severe or prolonged diarrhea or vomiting). Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may already be aware of the risks, but has determined that this is the best course of treatment for you and has taken appropriate precautions and is monitoring you closely for any potential complications. You should seek immediate medical attention if you develop sudden dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, shortness of breath, or heart palpitations during treatment with these medications, whether together or alone. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate          Applies to: Akineton (biperiden), risperidone

Before using risperiDONE, tell your doctor if you are also on biperiden. You may need dose adjustments or special tests in order to safely use both medications together. You should notify your doctor if you have signs of bladder problems, dry mouth, stomach pain, fever, blurred vision, confusion, dizziness, or reduced heart rate. You should avoid driving until you know how these medications will affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using your medications without first talking to your doctor first.

Moderate          Applies to: Akineton (biperiden), Lexapro (escitalopram)

Using biperiden together with escitalopram may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

ChessieCat, thank you very much! You help is great.

Chlorprothixene is a typical antipsychotic drug of the thioxanthene class and was the first of the series to be synthesized. It was introduced in 1959 by Lundbeck. Chlorprothixene is not approved for use in the United States.

Here Chlorprothixene is a commonly used drug. Well, I don’t understand logic of our Department of health… Lately they have forbidden so many psychotropic drugs, especially benzos (for example, Clonazepam), but in the same time drugs which are already forbidden in many other countries are left.

Major          Applies to: risperidone, Lexapro (escitalopram)

Does it mean that these two drugs cannot be taken together, right?

Actually, I am shocked with this information. It seems the current scheme is terrible. And the question is what to do now?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Ayaa,

I enjoy researching.  As for answering your questions, sorry but I'm not able to.  Hopefully one of the mods may have more knowledge about these drugs.

CC

• Moderator Emeritus

I found this on Wikipedia:

"Chlorprothixene has a strong sedative activity with a high incidence of anticholinergic side effects. The types of side effects encountered (dry mouth, massive hypotension and tachycardia, hyperhidrosis, substantial weight gain etc.) normally do not allow a full effective dose for the remission of psychotic disorders to be given. So cotreatment with another, more potent, antipsychotic agent is needed.

Chlorprothixene is structurally related to chlorpromazine, with which it shares, in principle, all side effects."

Chlorpromazine is commonly used in Australia and the US and is like the equivalent of chlorproxithene , just patented under a different name.

Sounds like it's common practice to prescribe Chlorprox. with another anti-psychotic.

The thing to do now is try and restore whatever stability Stasya had before she did the big cut.

"Besides these drugs she is taking Cipralex, Akineton and Phenibut. She did not provide any information

about dosage "

Don't change anything else just now. Everything else should remain as it is for the moment.

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Stasya’s mum wrote that Risperidone and Сhlorprothixene are not the only medications she is taking at the moment. Besides these drugs she is taking Cipralex, Akineton and Phenibut. She did not provide any information about dosage (I’ll ask again).

That's helpful to know.  It would also help to know how long she's been on each of these meds, and if possible, why she was prescribed all of these - was it psychosis or something else, e.g. anxiety?

Akineton is a drug used to treat Parkinson's disease.  According to Wikipedia: "Biperiden is also commonly used to improve parkinsonian signs and symptoms related to antipsychotic drug therapy, such as akathisia."  So maybe this one was added to treat (or prevent?) side effects from the others?

The potential interactions are worrying, but if she is not having life-threatening symptoms, it is probably better to maintain doses to get stable, and then plan a slow taper - while keeping an eye out for the serious effects listed above.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2016  Aug off paroxetine

Akineton is a drug used to treat Parkinson's disease.  According to Wikipedia: "Biperiden is also commonly used to improve parkinsonian signs and symptoms related to antipsychotic drug therapy, such as akathisia."  So maybe this one was added to treat (or prevent?) side effects from the others? 

Yes, you are right. Here doctors  are often (I would say always) giving Akineton or Cyclodol (Trihexyphenidylum) to the patients who take AD’s and neuroleptics. In the majority of cases it is given in advance, to prevent side effects. I was also taking both of them. Akinteton was helping to reduce tremor (shaking hands). I guess this drug is also given for the same reason to the patients with Parkinson's disease.

better to maintain doses to get stable, and then plan a slow taper - while keeping an eye out for the serious effects listed above

If someone is having such drug cocktail, what do you think, which med should be tapered first? Well, may be my question is useless now, because we don’t know the med-history of the concrete patient...

why she was prescribed all of these - was it psychosis or something else, e.g. anxiety? 

Exactly, that’s what I mean.

I forgot to tell, that Stasya’s mum also said that they do not want to increase the dose of  chlorprothixene. As I understood, the reason is that they think (or may be this is just mum’s thinking) that coming back to a higher dose will prolong the time of withdrawal.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thankyou Aaya.

Please reassure Stasya's mum that it's not the case that increasing will prolong withdrawal. In fact , the only way to stop the withdrawal is by reinstating.

"I forgot to tell, that Stasya’s mum also said that they do not want to increase the dose of chlorprothixene. As I understood, the reason is that they think (or may be this is just mum’s thinking) that coming back to a higher dose will prolong the time of withdrawal"

See this thread about reinstating to stop withdrawal symptoms http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7562-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-reduce-withdrawal-symptoms/

Perhaps she would consider Stasya going back up to 45mg and see if she improves in the next 4 or 5 days?

"Please forgive me my delayed response: I've been feeling very sick due to doing the stupid thing I haven't told you about which was going too quickly with reducing dose of the other, typical neuroleptic I take (called Сhlorprothixene) from 60 mg to 30 mg 10 days ago."

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

I've been feeling very sick due to doing the stupid thing I haven't told you about which was going too quickly with reducing dose of the other, typical neuroleptic I take (called Сhlorprothixene) from 60 mg to 30 mg 10 days ago

Yes, I also remember this message, and that’s why I think that Stasya can have different opinion about the speed of tapering. It seems she knows about rules of dose reduction, that’s why she wrote here that she was going “too quickly with reducing dose”.

Ok, let’s see may be Stasya will feel better and write here by herself, then it will be easier to discuss. In the case her mum comes online I will share with her information you provided.

Thank you very much for the link, Fresh!

News about Stasya. She is still feeling bad. It seems she has something like akathisia. “Movement disorder characterized by a feeling of inner restlessness and a compelling need to be in constant motion” – that’s exactly what her mum told me.

They have increased the dose of chlorprothixene and now Stasya is taking 45 mg. (7.5 mg in the morning+7.5 mg daytime+30 mg in the night).

Cipralex – 10 mg in the morning

Akineton – 2 mg morning, 2 mg evening

Phenibut – 250 mg morning, 250 mg morning

They have also started to take vitamins. I asked her to tell which one, because I am afraid that some of them can also cause some problems. For example, vitamin B is activating, and she does not need to be more activated now, right? What do you think about it?

One more important thing – Stasya has a psychotic episode (-s?) in her anamnesis. And pdoc is offering to put her in the hospital now.

• Moderator Emeritus

Good work Ayaa.

Summary: Cipralex – 10 mg in the morning

Akineton – 2 mg morning, 2 mg evening

Phenibut – 250 mg morning, 250 mg morning

Chlorproxithene - Jan.1 , decreased from 60mg to 30mg

Jan. 13 updosed to 45mg

Hopefully she will feel some lessening of symptoms soon.

It will take 4 days to reach a steady state in her blood stream.

It does sound like akathisia. Let mum know that it's not permanent , and does not cause permanent damage. It will resolve but probably not immediately.

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

Oh, there’s a mistake in my yesterday’s message. Phenibut - 250 mg in the morning and 250 mg in the evening, of coarse.

Today Stasya wrote by herself that she is feeling a bit better after increasing the dose of chlorproxithene. She also mentioned that she is becoming anxious now.

Her mum clarified that psychosis was not the reason for prescribing of psychotropic drugs. Stasya had some health problems after emotional distress (it could be something like myalgia, but I am not sure). And she went to the doctor with this problem. They hospitalized her and promised to settle it in 1 week, but since nothing was done about the main problem, doctor prescribed Risperidone and Akineton. Stasya and her mum had no idea what kind of drug it is and agreed to take it. After leaving the hospital they visited another doctor who said them to cancel the medications. As I understood it was not tapered, but just cancelled. After that she was feeling very bad, and in that period of time it happened something what they call “psychosis”.

This is the scheme from hospital (48 days, till mid of November):

Risperidone – 2 mg

Amitriptyline - 0,045 mg (may be a mistake here?)

Chlorproxithene – 60 mg

Glycin  - 0,3 mg

Phenibut was added later, in the end of November

In the beggining of December Amitriptyline is changed to Cipralex

Another specialist who was consulting them lately on Net, suggested adding vitamins. Here I am going to put the ingredients of each complex supplement.

Vitamine C  -  1 dilutable pill

Vitamine E – 10 (!) pills. I checked the smallest pill capsule available in our shops, it consists 100 mg. It means she is taking minimum 1000 mg a day! Is that not too much?

“Neuromultivit” complex supplement – 2 pills,

Each tablet consists: B1 – 100 mg, B6 – 200 mg, B12 – mcg

“Complivit calcium d3” – 2 pills

Each tablet consists: calcium carbonate – 1250 mg; cholecalciferol – 200 IE (+they add there magnesium stearate, aspartame etc. but quantity is not mentioned)

UNIPHARM ‘s "Vitrum" – 1 pill

Each tablet consists:  A (acetate and beta-carotene) – 5000 IE; E – 30 IE; C – 6 mg; folic acid – 400 mcg; B1 – 1,5 mg; B2 – 1,7 mg; B6 – 2mg; B12 – 6 mcg; nicotinamide – 20 mg; K1 – 25 mcg; D3 – 400 IE; Biotin – 30 mcg; Pantothenic acid – 10 mg; iron (as fumarate)- 18 mg; calcium – 162 mg; phosphorus- 125 mg; iodine – 150 mg; magnesium – 100 mg; copper – 2 mg; zinc – 2mg; manganese – 2,5 mg; kalium – 40 mg; chrome – 25 mcg; chlorine - 36,3 mg; molybdenum – 25 mcg; selenium – 25 mcg; nickel – 5 mcg; tin – 10 mcg; silicon – 10 mcg; vanadium – 10 mcg

She is taking  all these vitamins for few days.

oops. one mor mistake  :blush:  Vitamin B12 in the “Neuromultivit” complex supplement - 200 mcg

• Moderator Emeritus

Today Stasya wrote by herself that she is feeling a bit better after increasing the dose of chlorproxithene.

That's very good news!  I hope she continues to improve!

Her mum clarified that psychosis was not the reason for prescribing of psychotropic drugs. Stasya had some health problems after emotional distress (it could be something like myalgia, but I am not sure).  And she went to the doctor with this problem. They hospitalized her and promised to settle it in 1 week, but since nothing was done about the main problem,  doctor prescribed Risperidone and Akineton. Stasya and her mum had no idea what kind of drug it is and agreed to take it.

Psychiatrists seem to be fond of prescribing anti-psychotics as anxiolytics (for anxiety) - I wonder if this is what has happened here.  They seem to believe that APs are quite safe, fairly harmless drugs, I guess because they use them all the time and kind of take them for granted.  Poor Stasya, from emotional distress to psych patient and then psychosis from w/d.  It makes me so angry.

Re vitamins, some people in w/d become sensitive to some B vitamins and find them rather stimulating, which can possibly exacerbate anxiety.  It can be hard to tell which ones as they usually come together in one pill.  The vitamin C should be okay.  A few people have trouble with vitamin D while others find it helpful.  I'm not sure about vitamin E, haven't heard of anyone having problems with it, but individual responses can vary a lot.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2016  Aug off paroxetine

• 8 months later...

A small update regarding Stasya’s withdrawal from antipsychotics.

Stasya has successfully tapered off Chlorproxithene, Rispolept (Risperidone) and Akineton. She was using 10% reduction method for 2 drugs (Chlorproxithene, Rispolept) and Akineton (this was the drug to stop tremor) was reduced a bit faster. Soon she’s planning to taper the Cipralex.

I met Stasya and her mom about 2 weeks ago and she is doing ok. She told me that there were some problems after stopping Risperidone – brain fog, strange sensations in head, insomnia, weakness, cognitive problems, depression etc. In August-September she got TMS therapy done and she also took a course of Cortexin injections (the nootropic drug). Both things were proposed by neurologist here, in Moscow, and she’s going to continue to take Cortexin injections when she’ll return to her city.

I can confirm that she is feeling much better now  :)  She can talk, walk, laugh, read, write (that’s what she could not do for many months). She still has some cognitive problems (blank mind, memory issues), but I hope it will be ok soon.

I think she’ll update this tread later and write more about her healing progress.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Ayaa,

Thank you for updating Stasya's situation.  It's really good to hear that she is feeling much better and I hope it continues.

z

** Link to:  Stasya's Intro Topic **

Hello everybody! I'm happy to share my story of going off the meds. I hope this might be of help. I was taking Risperidone, Chlorproxithene, Akineton and Cipralex. While I was taking it I had terrible symptoms such as not being able to think, having a blank mind, concentration problems, weakness, not being able to look at TV/computer screens, headaches, troubles falling asleep, digestion problems, severe depression.

My family and I followed the advice of Ayaa from this forum for tapering off medications: first we tapered Chlorproxithene off by 10% every 2 weeks, then tapered Risperidone off by 10% every 2 weeks too. While doing this I ate fruits, beef, vegetables exclusively, all steamed. With the decrease of my dosage my symptoms lessened. When we got to zero a weakness appeared so severe I couldn't do anything apart from lying in bed. But it lasted just a week.

In a month I flyed to Moscow with my mum to go see a neurologist who prescribed me TMS therapy and Cortexin (a Russian nootropic) . Already after the second stimulation session I could look at TV/computer screens without any headache. We did a total of 11 stimulation sessions. Depression dissapeared completely. Headaches were gone by the 11 session. We are very content with the results.

After going back to my city we started tapering off Cipralex. We're also going to start a homeopathic treatment prescribed by the same neurologist. She also adviced me to go to gym and swim which I do regularly. Sometimes I still find it hard to believe that the end to the hell I went through was found.

Edited by ChessieCat
inserted paragraph breaks and Link to intro

Hello everybody! I'm happy to share my story of going off the meds. I hope this might be of help. I was taking Risperidone, Chlorproxithene, Akineton and Cipralex. While I was taking it I had terrible symptoms such as not being able to think, having a blank mind, concentration problems, weakness, not being able to look at TV/computer screens, headaches, troubles falling asleep, digestion problems, severe depression. My family and I followed the advice of Ayaa from this forum for tapering off medications: first we tapered Chlorproxithene off by 10% every 2 weeks, then tapered Risperidone off by 10% every 2 weeks too. While doing this I ate fruits, beef, vegetables exclusively, all steamed. With the decrease of my dosage my symptoms lessened. When we got to zero a weakness appeared so severe I couldn't do anything apart from lying in bed. But it lasted just a week. In a month I flyed to Moscow with my mum to go see a neurologist who prescribed me TMS therapy and Cortexin (a Russian nootropic) . Already after the second stimulation session I could look at TV/computer screens without any headache. We did a total of 11 stimulation sessions. Depression dissapeared completely. Headaches were gone by the 11 session. We are very content with the results. After going back to my city we started tapering off Cipralex. We're also going to start a homeopathic treatment prescribed by the same neurologist. She also adviced me to go to gym and swim which I do regularly. Sometimes I still find it hard to believe that the end to the hell I went through was found.

good for you man, congrats! do you recall any withdrawal symptoms or was it all just side effects from the medication?

(i'm brazlian so please, ignore spelling mistakes) 2015 the beggining of the year started with effexor xr 37,5

went up to 300mgs

in october of 2015 quitted COLD TURKEY/took olanzapine 5mgs for 2 weeks around november/ reinstated effexor in january of 2016

in march of 2016 was at 300mg again

in may tappered effexor xr and added trazodone 150mgs, seroquel 50mgs and abilify 10 mgs/in july cold turkey from abilify (no big deal)

in september tried reducing trazadone to 50mg

after 2 weeks went back to 150mgs of trazadone and 50 mgs of seroquel and added 2 mgs of klonopin to use WHEN NEEDEED

currently taking 150mgs of trazadone and 50 mgs of seroquel at night

• Moderator Emeritus

Found this in the Success stories: Recovery from withdrawal

Hello everybody! I'm happy to share my story of going off the meds. I hope this might be of help. I was taking Risperidone, Chlorproxithene, Akineton and Cipralex. While I was taking it I had terrible symptoms such as not being able to think, having a blank mind, concentration problems, weakness, not being able to look at TV/computer screens, headaches, troubles falling asleep, digestion problems, severe depression. My family and I followed the advice of Ayaa from this forum for tapering off medications: first we tapered Chlorproxithene off by 10% every 2 weeks, then tapered Risperidone off by 10% every 2 weeks too. While doing this I ate fruits, beef, vegetables exclusively, all steamed. With the decrease of my dosage my symptoms lessened. When we got to zero a weakness appeared so severe I couldn't do anything apart from lying in bed. But it lasted just a week. In a month I flyed to Moscow with my mum to go see a neurologist who prescribed me TMS therapy and Cortexin (a Russian nootropic) . Already after the second stimulation session I could look at TV/computer screens without any headache. We did a total of 11 stimulation sessions. Depression dissapeared completely. Headaches were gone by the 11 session. We are very content with the results. After going back to my city we started tapering off Cipralex. We're also going to start a homeopathic treatment prescribed by the same neurologist. She also adviced me to go to gym and swim which I do regularly. Sometimes I still find it hard to believe that the end to the hell I went through was found.

Stasya, congratulations! Are you off all psyche meds? How long were you on them?

Do doctors prescribe antidepressants and other psych meds as easily in Russia as they do in western countries? 

Citalopram 40mg from 2003-2015

Jan 2015 started tapering first dropped to 35mgFeb 30mg, March 25mgApril 20mg, May 17,5mg, June 15mgJuly 12,5mg, Aug 12,5mg,

Sep 0mg for 5 days because of stomac flu and after I raised to 7,5mg. All the symptoms of acute WD shaking, diarrhea, vomiting, barely could walk ect. Still didn't realize that it wasn't only stomac flu but I was also going through WD.

Oct 2,5mg and crashed again badly and quickly raised to 4mg. It was then when I knew my symptoms were due to WD.

Then in November after a month holding on 4mg raised to 5mg due to muscle weakness and had a VERY BAD reaction to reinstatement: akathisia(lasted for one or two weeks), insomnia, anhedonia... Drop quicly back to 4mg, Dec 3mg

Jan 2016 2,6mg( in the middle of Jan after I had been on 2,6mg for a week I tried to updose to 2,8mg and immediately had bad reaction to it: akathisia for a day, andehonia got worse. The next day dropped back to 2,6mg), Feb 2,4mg( a new symptom PGAD lasted 24/7 for 2 months after that on and off), March 2,4mg, April 2,3mg, May 2,2mg, June 2,1mg, July 2,0mg( Pgad almost nonexisting, sleeping pretty good, still some anhedonia but there has been a lot of gradual progress), Aug 1,97mg-1,89mg, Sep 1,88mg-1,49mg, Oct 1,48mg- 1,70mg,

Nov 0,65mg- current dose 0,5mg

NaturalBorn,

Thank you. I reduced the meds slowly - that's probably the reason why I experienced almost no withdrawal symptoms other than that severe weakness in the first week.

reachingforthestars,

I'm almost done. There's only Cipralex left by now. I was taking neuroleptics (which are much worse than antidepressants) for 10 months. Unfortunately doctors in Russia often prescribe neuroleptics without any reason, you don't even have to be psychotic, aggressive or the like (That is what happened to me, too).

reachingforthestars,

I'm almost done. There's only Cipralex left by now. I was taking neuroleptics (which are much worse than antidepressants) for 10 months. Unfortunately doctors in Russia often prescribe neuroleptics without any reason, you don't even have to be psychotic, aggressive or the like (That is what happened to me, too).

Oh no, I was hoping that they are in Russia more skeptical towards psych meds since they are skeptical to GMO ect... I guess people are being chemically lobotomized everywhere in the world...  :(

Citalopram 40mg from 2003-2015

Jan 2015 started tapering first dropped to 35mgFeb 30mg, March 25mgApril 20mg, May 17,5mg, June 15mgJuly 12,5mg, Aug 12,5mg,

Sep 0mg for 5 days because of stomac flu and after I raised to 7,5mg. All the symptoms of acute WD shaking, diarrhea, vomiting, barely could walk ect. Still didn't realize that it wasn't only stomac flu but I was also going through WD.

Oct 2,5mg and crashed again badly and quickly raised to 4mg. It was then when I knew my symptoms were due to WD.

Then in November after a month holding on 4mg raised to 5mg due to muscle weakness and had a VERY BAD reaction to reinstatement: akathisia(lasted for one or two weeks), insomnia, anhedonia... Drop quicly back to 4mg, Dec 3mg

Jan 2016 2,6mg( in the middle of Jan after I had been on 2,6mg for a week I tried to updose to 2,8mg and immediately had bad reaction to it: akathisia for a day, andehonia got worse. The next day dropped back to 2,6mg), Feb 2,4mg( a new symptom PGAD lasted 24/7 for 2 months after that on and off), March 2,4mg, April 2,3mg, May 2,2mg, June 2,1mg, July 2,0mg( Pgad almost nonexisting, sleeping pretty good, still some anhedonia but there has been a lot of gradual progress), Aug 1,97mg-1,89mg, Sep 1,88mg-1,49mg, Oct 1,48mg- 1,70mg,

Nov 0,65mg- current dose 0,5mg

reachingforthestars,

Oh no, I was hoping that they are in Russia more skeptical towards psych meds since they are skeptical to GMO ect... I guess people are being chemically lobotomized everywhere in the world...   :(

money my friend, money... really it's a cold hearted world that we live

(i'm brazlian so please, ignore spelling mistakes) 2015 the beggining of the year started with effexor xr 37,5

went up to 300mgs

in october of 2015 quitted COLD TURKEY/took olanzapine 5mgs for 2 weeks around november/ reinstated effexor in january of 2016

in march of 2016 was at 300mg again

in may tappered effexor xr and added trazodone 150mgs, seroquel 50mgs and abilify 10 mgs/in july cold turkey from abilify (no big deal)

in september tried reducing trazadone to 50mg

after 2 weeks went back to 150mgs of trazadone and 50 mgs of seroquel and added 2 mgs of klonopin to use WHEN NEEDEED

currently taking 150mgs of trazadone and 50 mgs of seroquel at night