SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Effexor x12 years. Added lithium in sept 2015. Added prozac in october to help bridge taper from effexor as i started having symptoms. Started withdrawing effexor in September 2014. Over last 4 months i went From 112.5 to 14mg as of last week.. Last week I seemed to all of a sudden hit a wall. Crying uncontrollably constantly. Shaking, nausea, extreme fear and overwhelming need to cry. Ive read your site. Ive reinstated to 20 mg of effexor for last 3 days but absolutely no improvement. Im so scared. I cant go to work like this. Continuing prozac 20 and lithium 300. Please help.

May 12th 2016 took last bead of effexor. 8 month taper.  Bridge = prozac 5mg, 300mg Lithium

May 31st took last of prozac. Lithium 300 mg, estrogen patch 150, magnesium.

June 14th reinstated 1mg Prozac due to intolerable emotional distress. Cont with lithium 300mg, 150 magnesium, re added omega 3, cont estrogen patch. June 15-july 5th had marked improvement of emotional wd symptoms, likely due to the reinstatement. July 5th intense emotional symptoms returned.

July 15 decreased 50 mg of lithium to see if it improved low heart rate.

July 19th - increased prozac to 1.5mg.

July 22 marked improvement of emotional symptoms...again, likely due to increase of prozac. However sudden agitation developed so decreased back down to 1.25mg prozac. Realizing increasing dose is dangerous because of these adverse effects and also seeing that wave is inevitable regardless of reinstatement.

Continuing 250 lithium, 1.25mg prozac, estrogen.

Oct 31st - continued 250 lithium, 1 mg prozac, estrogen patch.

Jan 2018  - off of prozac (bridge) as of Dec 2017.  Starting to taper Lithium 250 mg.  Will do 10% per month. 

May 2018 - lithium 115mg.  Still having waves but they aren’t as bad.  However, I really struggle with emotional symptoms about 1 week after a cut. 

dec 2018- 80mg lithium.  Tapering 1 mg per week since last June.  Symptoms improving overall but still very sensitive to light, sound, social stimulation and I cry a lot.

March 2019 - 65 mg lithium.  Still tapering 1mg per week.  Jan 2021- down to 4 mg lithium (get it compounded). Reinstated 5 mg Prozac. Jan 2023- withdraw 5mg prozac over one month Feb 20th 2023- reinstated 1mg Prozac. Still taking 4 mg lithium. 

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Help777

• btdt

• SquirrellyGirl

• scallywag

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Help---  Welcome to the group.   I'm so sorry to hear that yo hit the wall an are having such bad symptoms.  It looks like you have taken some of our teachings to heart wit the quick updose.  It will take a while to kick in, but should help a lot.  It takes four days for the dose change to become steady state in the blood, once that happens you CNS can begin to stabilize, which could take several more weeks.  Don't panic it will happen.  Here's some links, you may have already read them, but a review would be a good idea:

What is withdrawal syndrome?

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Tips for tapering off Effexor (venlafaxine)

If you would please fill in a signature block with information about your drug history it would be really helpful.

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Thank you. I re-read those links. I still feel so scared that these feelings won't go away. My dr suggested i come off of effexor because he thinks i have bipolar 2. That's why he added lithium. Has anyone else had lithium added and if so did it help with the withdrawals?

Thank you.

May 12th 2016 took last bead of effexor. 8 month taper.  Bridge = prozac 5mg, 300mg Lithium

June 14th reinstated 1mg Prozac due to intolerable emotional distress. Cont with lithium 300mg, 150 magnesium, re added omega 3, cont estrogen patch. June 15-july 5th had marked improvement of emotional wd symptoms, likely due to the reinstatement. July 5th intense emotional symptoms returned.

July 22 marked improvement of emotional symptoms...again, likely due to increase of prozac. However sudden agitation developed so decreased back down to 1.25mg prozac. Realizing increasing dose is dangerous because of these adverse effects and also seeing that wave is inevitable regardless of reinstatement.

Jan 2018  - off of prozac (bridge) as of Dec 2017.  Starting to taper Lithium 250 mg.  Will do 10% per month. 

May 2018 - lithium 115mg.  Still having waves but they aren’t as bad.  However, I really struggle with emotional symptoms about 1 week after a cut. 

dec 2018- 80mg lithium.  Tapering 1 mg per week since last June.  Symptoms improving overall but still very sensitive to light, sound, social stimulation and I cry a lot.

March 2019 - 65 mg lithium.  Still tapering 1mg per week.  Jan 2021- down to 4 mg lithium (get it compounded). Reinstated 5 mg Prozac. Jan 2023- withdraw 5mg prozac over one month Feb 20th 2023- reinstated 1mg Prozac. Still taking 4 mg lithium. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Help,

It's a scary place to be in for sure, but please be reassured that you will start to feel better.  It's just a bit rough while you're stabilising and getting yourself on a good gentle plan.  And when it happens you'll feel such relief :)

Guess what?  Many people who are on or withdrawing from AD's get mis-diagonsed bipolar because doctors don't recognise the symptoms as w/d.  So there's a good chance you aren't actually bipolar at all.  Though of course lithium will now be an extra thing to taper...

Anyway, Brass gave you good links and the first step is waiting a few more days to see if you'll stabilise at that dose.  Let us know how it goes. 

It's good to have you here,

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

I feel so alone, isolated, misunderstood, scared this will never end. I feel ashamed of this secret I can't talk to anyone about. I feel weak. What if this never ends. How will my kids ever understand. What if the people that do know judge me or treat me differently. I feel so so sad, as if i was the only person to blame for this and that no one else could possibly understand how this feels. I have reinstated a few effexor but it hasn't helped yet.

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm sorry, I think most of us here feel the same way, to some extent. I know I do, this is such an isolating experience. Its impossible for anyone to understand what this is like, unless they've been through it. I stopped trying to explain and just come here now for support and understanding.

We're not to blame, we trusted our doctors and were harmed in ways that are not yet widely recognized.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Help,

I'm sorry you are going through this, it sounds like you are in withdrawal from Effexor, how have you been tapering it?

It also looks like bridging with Prozac hasn't helped, unfortunately it doesn't always work and we usually recommend a slow, careful taper from the original drug.

How are you feeling now that you have updosed Effexor slightly?

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

• Administrator

Welcome, Help?

You are not bipolar, you have withdrawal syndrome. How long have you been taking the lithium? Has it made any difference?

Did you feel better on the Prozac-Effexor combination when you were taking more than 14mg Effexor?

Please put ALL the drugs you take in the Drug Interactions Checker http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html and copy and paste the results in this topic.

Don't worry about adding 20mg Effexor.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you so much. I feel better since increasing the Effexor to 20 mg 4 days ago. Not 100% but at least not sobbing and nauseous. Dr said to stay on lithium and Prozac and to taper Effexor more slowly. I think my dr thinks I have bp and that that is the reason that Effexor was causing unstable moods. That's why he added lithium and had me start weaning the Effexor. Please tell me your thoughts.

Thank you so much for your words.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Help ,   good to hear that updosing the effexor has helped.

Lots of us here have been told we had a bipolar illness when we displayed hypomanic behaviour in the context of ssri's.

The recommendation here is to decrease by no more than 10% at a time.  You've gone so fast with the effexor taper that you're getting the delayed fallout - the very thing a slow taper aims to avoid.

You might consider sticking on the 20mg of effexor for quite some months.

From drugs.com , this is the effexor / prozac interaction warning:

Major fluoxetine  venlafaxine

Applies to: Prozac (fluoxetine), Effexor (venlafaxine)

Using FLUoxetine together with venlafaxine can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

*topic moved from tapering forum

Hi,

I was assuming that my 37.5 Effexor XR capsule contained 37.5 beads.  I was subtracting 20 beads for about a month.  Then I decided to taper to 15.  My thinking was that instead of having to count 25 beads to throw out that it would be easier to just count the 15 that I needed to swallow so I changed to this method.  One week after taking what I thought was 15 mg I developed my major withdrawal symptoms and couldn't function.  It dawned on me this morning that I should count the number of beads and so I did and there were 106! Not 37 like I had thought.  Therefore I figure I went from 96 beads to 15 beads overnight and that that may have been the reason for the extreme sudden withdrawal symptoms.  Previous to that I had reduced the 106 to 96 over about 3 months and didn't have any problems with that.  I knew 10% was my goal and I thought I was staying within that until I counted the beads.

Does this make sense?  Should I go back upto 96 beads?

Thank you for your expertise and experience.

Edited by Petunia
added note

• Moderator Emeritus

if you have only been on the 15 beads for a week i would go back up to 78 beads - that is the 86 beads minus the 8 you should have removed.. (note that 106 beads minus 20 is actually 86, not 96).

so, you are actually taking out 30 beads.

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

• Moderator Emeritus

I moved your topic from the tapering section, its best to ask this kind of question here on your own thread so that your history and previous updates can be taken into consideration when you get replies.

I'm a little confused, you wrote that you had increased your dose 4 days ago and were feeling better.

How much are you taking now?

Please read through:   Tips for tapering off Effexor (venlafaxine)

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

• Moderator Emeritus

Also, there are differing numbers of beads in each capsule - they can vary quite a lot actually.  When I started weighing mine, I ended up weighing 10 capsules then working out the average weight. 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Where can I find a good scale for this? I've checked shoppers drug mart and shoppers home health with no success I'm in Canada.

I was on 14 beads when I hit a crisis of withdrawal symptoms. I then increased it to 37.5 and felt a bit better. But the. Realized my math error and realized I went from about 86 beads to 14. So I then went back upto 80 beads a few days ago. Feeling so much better! Maybe I didn't need to go all the way upto 80 since my body was on 14 beads for about 10 days albeit in a state of crisis. Thoughts???

• Moderator Emeritus

Well , maybe you didn't need to go that far up , but it's done now and you're feeling significantly better.  Jumping around isn't helpful , I'd stay right there for a good stretch , around 2 months , before tapering anything else.

Have you seen this discussion about using scales?  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1596-using-a-digital-scale-to-measure-doses/

I used a digital jewellers' sclae bought on ebay for $30:00.   You need one accurate to 3 decimal places after 0.  The first one I bought only went to 2 and wasn't accurate enough.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Hi,

I have bad body aches for the last few days. I reinstated effexor to 66 beads from 14 beads a week ago. I have had an improvement emotionally and with physical symptoms except for the body aches. Could these be from the withdrawal? Should i reinstate more or will these subside?

Thank you.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Help.

Body aches can certainly be a symptom of withdrawal. They can, of course, be a symptom of a lot of things.  Rather than jump around too much, I would suggest you see how you are doing in a few days.  The goal of tapering is not to remove every last possible symptom because if that were the case you could wind up jumping around in dose dramatically.  That is not good for the stability of the CNS.  The goal is to allow you to remain stable as you taper so that you can function in society and live your life as you hopefully continue to improve.

Hope that helps.

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Thank you, Andy. That's very helpful.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Help777, 

I just wanted to say hello from another Effexor taperer.  I am glad you are here.  I am using the Gemini20 scale and count AND weigh beads.  I went through a failed attempt to get off a year ago and now am very sensitive to cuts, so have to crawl my way along.  Having been on for 12 years will do that to you ;-)  

These little scales can be testy, so when you get yours, check back in and ask questions.  The main thing I learned about mine is that I must calibrate it before every weighing session, and use the provided weights to check that the scale is reading true throughout.  I forget who it was, KarenB?  who said she leaves the 10g weight on the weigh pan and weighs the beads with it on there because the scale seems to be more accurate at higher weights.  

If the scale doesn't read the 10 g weight as 10.000 then I tare (zero the scale minus the weight) and then put the weight on again, and only proceed if it is still reading 10.000 g.  Sometimes I have to go through the calibration steps mid session because the bugger lost calibration!  This all sounds pretty crazy, I know, but when you have WD symptoms and then finally discover that your doses don't weigh what you they did, you'll go the extra mile, too LOL!

Many of us buy the "00" empty gel caps available on Amazon and elsewhere, to put a couple of weeks' worth of doses in.  That helps keep things constant as well, and I find it removes the temptation to cut again when maybe it isn't the best idea.

Anyway, I am glad you are feeling better now after your mishap with beads!

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• Moderator Emeritus

Help , I'm a little confused about your meds.

You started prozac as a bridge to taper effexor.   When this technique is used , we don't recommend staying on both for longer than 2 weeks.  See our thread on "The Prozac Switch"  here  

Prey 2012 method for Prozac switch

Another knowledgeable doctor (whom I trust) explained his technique to me (this is the technique I personally would prefer if I had to do it, it seems much gentler):

• For a "normal" dose of Effexor (150mg per day or more) or Paxil or Cymbalta, he would switch to 10mg Prozacwith a week of overlap. In other words, take both medications for a week and then drop the Effexor. Lower doses of Effexor or other antidepressant require lower doses of Prozac as a "bridge."
  • The lower dose of Prozac reduces the risk of excessive serotoninergic stimulation from the combination of the two antidepressants during the overlap period.
  • Do not stay on the combination of the first antidepressant and Prozac for more than 2 weeks, or you run the risk of your nervous system accommodating to the combination and having difficulty tapering off both antidepressants.

From drugs.com , this is the effexor / prozac interaction warning:

Major fluoxetine  venlafaxine

Applies to: Prozac (fluoxetine), Effexor (venlafaxine)

Using FLUoxetine together with venlafaxine can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea."

Muscle spasm or stiffness  . . . some of your symptoms may be from the interaction between the effexor and prozac.    The sooner you can get off the effexor the better.

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

Hi, I had no idea that the bridge should be short. My doctor recommended starting prozac when i experienced my first symptoms of withdrawal. As you see, i started prozac 4 months ago! I am at 66 beads of effexor. What should I do? This depression is cycling every week to 10 days lasting 3 or more days at a time. I can't do this anymore. What should I do? Thank you to you and everyone 's knowledge. I had no idea how long the prozac bridge should last and i do feel it has worsened my symptoms lately.

The purpose of the "Prozac Bridge" is not to use the prozac to cover up the symptoms of the effexor taper, but to switch from one drug to the other because prozac is generally held to be easier to get off of than the Effexor.  The switch, or bridge, from effexor to prozac is made by cross tapering one to the other over a period of several weeks.  Decreasing the Effexor to zero while increasing the prozac to the target dose over a period of two weeks. The simultaneous decrease/increase is needed to keep the risk of serotonin syndrome at a minimum.

It's quite possible the the depression cycling that you're experiencing is being caused by the combination of the three drugs you're currently taking. If you wish to continue with the prozac then you need to "fast taper" the effexor over the next few weeks.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Thank you for the help. I have been taking prozac 20 mg for 4 months. I will likely have to increase this in order to decrease the effexor? I am a mess. I don't know how to go to work like this. Your info makes sense as i felt really good for a few weeks after he added the prozac but now i feel even more terrible with symptoms and i havent lowered the dose at all in the last few weeks of the effexor. I dont know how quickly to do this.

Very good question about increasing the prozac, I'm getting a second opinion.

Thank you so much.

• Administrator

Hello, Help.

If I were you, I would keep the 20mg Prozac and 66 beads Effexor XR for a month or a few until your nervous system settles down from withdrawal symptoms.

These may come and go for a while, see The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Once I stabilize at 66 beads of Effexor XR and 20 mg Prozac then should I increase prozac so that I reduce effexor?  Or keep prozac at 20 and just try and get rid of the effexor?

Thank you to everyone for your help.  This forum is invaluable.

• Moderator Emeritus

Once you stabilize ,  the next job is to get off the effexor.    Keep the prozac the same.  And in due course , start

to taper the prozac.

:)

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

Help . I'm sure we have all felt like this at times,  but there is a lot of support here and It's nice to feel understood by those going through the same experience. Anyone that loves you , will hopefully try to understand and those that don't are perhaps not worth worrying yourself too much over. I think we all understand how you feel. You are not alone.  

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

How long do you typically feel depressed when it hits after a withdrawal. Few days? Can someone send me a good link to diet changes to make to help with withdrawal depression?
Thank you. Feeling pretty down.

Edited by Fresh
moved from Symptoms forum

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm sorry you're not feeling so good at the moment. Withdrawal depression is like any other withdrawal symptom, its impossible to say how long it will last. Seeing as you are still tapering, it might be a sign you need to slow your taper down, it may be best if you write about this and ask for help on your introduction topic. Please add to existing topics rather than start new ones about the same thing.

Here are some relevant threads:  Depression      SCD/GAPS/Paleo Diets

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Hi there Help777,

How are you doing now? How are you feeling? I hope that things are a bit better anyhow  :)

Blazes.

Previously - zopiclone, risperidone, lyrica (pregabalin), ativan (lorezapam)
01/Aug/2016 -  65mg effexor, 4.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
12/Aug/2016 -  75mg effexor, 4.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
03/Oct/2016 -  70mg effexor, 4.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
29/Oct/2016 -  65mg effexor, 4.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
25/Nov/2016 -  65mg effexor, 4mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
25/Dec/2016 -  60mg effexor, 3.6mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
18/Jan/2017 -  60mg effexor, 5.25mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
27/Mar/2017 -  54mg effexor, 5.25mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
23/Apr/2017 -  54mg effexor, 7.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
09/May/2017 -  75mg effexor, 7.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
08/Jun/2017 -  75mg effexor, 6.75mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
18/Jul/2017 -  75mg effexor, 6mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
Sometimes valium. Not daily. Supplements - Sterols and Stanols.
Note : I would really hope that nobody uses my tapering history as a guideline. It might not work well for somebody else tapering similar medications.

Thank you, Blazes. I in the middle of a low following a small reduction. I've been finding they last a few days. It's not as bad as how I felt when I reduced too quickly though. I am still scared about continuing to have these depression cycles after i am off of effexor. Not sure what that will mean...that I have bipolar maybe. The lows can feel pretty low. Co-workers notice although I try to mask it. Thanks for asking. How are you doing?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I am sorry for the long delay in getting back to you. I haven't logged on here in a while.

Maybe you are feeling a little better now? I see that you are tapering Effexor. I am currently in the middle of an Effexor taper. In general it has been going relatively smoothly for me. However, one day at a time and all that.

I hope that you are doing well anyway! Enjoy the weekend.  :)

Previously - zopiclone, risperidone, lyrica (pregabalin), ativan (lorezapam)
01/Aug/2016 -  65mg effexor, 4.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
12/Aug/2016 -  75mg effexor, 4.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
03/Oct/2016 -  70mg effexor, 4.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
29/Oct/2016 -  65mg effexor, 4.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
25/Nov/2016 -  65mg effexor, 4mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
25/Dec/2016 -  60mg effexor, 3.6mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
18/Jan/2017 -  60mg effexor, 5.25mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
27/Mar/2017 -  54mg effexor, 5.25mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
23/Apr/2017 -  54mg effexor, 7.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
09/May/2017 -  75mg effexor, 7.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
08/Jun/2017 -  75mg effexor, 6.75mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
18/Jul/2017 -  75mg effexor, 6mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
Sometimes valium. Not daily. Supplements - Sterols and Stanols.
Note : I would really hope that nobody uses my tapering history as a guideline. It might not work well for somebody else tapering similar medications.