SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

kahleeb: The Journey So Far...

kahleeb

I have been depressed most of my life and most of my childhood is completely blank. I can't remember it at all. Often times, I have wondered if depression ran in my family and I have a suspicion that it does. My sister suffers from it, I can just tell my mom does (though she would not admit to it), and I know my dad did (before he passed away in 07). 

I am a Christian and have been most of my life. But a large number of people within the Christian community, and my family, feel like Antidepressants and any type of mental illness means you aren't praying hard enough, your life isn't right with God, you need to work harder, you are doing something wrong, etc. However these same people would have no problems with taking medicine for heart problems, antibiotics if you have an infection, etc. It is idiotic to believe that people can have this mindset but it is very real. 

After my dad passed away suddenly in 2007, my depression got much worse. I finally reached out to a General Doctor to talk about sleeping issues and depression. He refused to give me any medication and just told me I needed to get through it. Not really a good thing to say to someone as depressed as I was. I sought out help from another General Doctor and the Nurse Practitioner, in the office, put me on a variety of different pills to try and help me. I don't recall all of the medications except the last one: Paxil. Whatever dose of it I was on, it made me ANGRY. I had extreme road rage and any little thing could set me off. I recall being so mad one day that I tried to punch through our front door. I am surprised I didn't break my hand. Looking back, because the nurse Practitioner would keep me on the medication for a short period and then take me off, cold turkey, if it wasn't working, I could have been going through some sort of withdrawal symptom when I began Paxil. 

After this experience I gave up on trying to resolve this issue until I had an experience with God after reading a book called The Shack. I don't know if you, reading this, are a Christian or not. So you may discount what I just said. My religion is an integral part of my life and impacts me in all I say and do. After having this "mountaintop experience," I knew I couldn't continue living with depression. I sought out a Christian Counselor and we spoke for many weeks before he suggested I see a psychiatrist. I found a local psychiatrist as there doesn't seem to be any Christian psychiatrists around. This may be due to the mindset Christians have on this issue that I spoke about above.

When I saw the psychiatrist, I remember specifically telling him that I was willing to try medication again, after describing the problems from the past, but I did not want to be on anything that would change my mind or cause me to lose any type of spiritual connection I had with God. I now know that to him, and most psychiatrists that practice, they don't feel any of these medications do anything to your brain. You have minor "discontinuation syndrome" for a few weeks max after ceasing the medication.

For a few years, we tried a combination of different medications that included: Wellbutrin, Pristiq, and Cymbalta. I don't recall the specific dosages of each but they either quit working or had so many side effects, that I couldn't live with it. Finally, we landed on Lexapro. We started with 10 MG and moved that up to 20 MG. After a few years on Lexapro, I noticed that the medication was not making me feel good anymore. My psychiatrist suggested that in some cases adding the drug Abilify would help things work better. We added in a 5 MG dose of Abilify to go along with the 20 MG of Lexapro and I was on both of those for several years--until January of 2016. 

After appearing to "be cured" by my psychiatrist, he suggested that I stop taking Abilify immediately because he says there are long-term health issues if you are on the drug for extended periods of time. Because Lexapro alone made me have this feeling I would describe as "dead head," where my mind just feels empty and everything feels off, I told him I didn't want to take Lexapro alone. He suggested I shouldn't need it anymore and had me cut the dosage in half for two weeks and then quit the medication completely.

To summarize:

• I stopped years of Abilify 5 MG use on January 13 cold turkey
  • I cut my Lexapro 20 MG in half to 10 MG on January 13
  • I stopped Lexapro 10 MG on January 27

I never had any sexual side effects or anything noticeable while on Lexapro and Abilify. After I stopped both, I slowly noticed changes. within a week or two, things got bad--really bad. (I am going to list out the symptoms on separate lines.)

• I had the worst headaches of my life that would just last for days with no relief from anything.
  • Complete loss of appetite. I would get hungry for maybe one meal a day. If I ate anything, I normally had to force myself to eat something.
  • My libido vanished completely. I wasn't attracted to anyone or anything. Even my wife of 15 years, who I am very attracted to, suddenly was not attractive to me. In addition, sex, is just a lifeless act that has no physical/emotional connection at all.  I also showed many others signs of PSSD which I know is not the focus of this forum. I can go into those in detail if anyone is curious or think they can help. 
  • I have lost all sense of spirituality. It is like my soul has been sucked out of my body. I can't read my Bible, pray to God, or even worship at Church. I go and sit and it means nothing to me.
  • I was extremely angry almost all the time. Almost any little thing could set me off. I am not an angry person and it takes a lot to make me mad. I have never experienced anger like this.
  • I started experiencing insomnia. I could not sleep at all no matter what I took over the counter (more on this later).
  • My personality seems completely different. I have no compassion for people. I don't care what their opinions are.  I seem to want to cause arguments, fights, etc.
  • I have a hard time concentrating and remembering things.

I made an appointment to see my psychiatrist to follow-up about all of this. While I was waiting for the appointment I started doing research on SSRI Withdrawal and learned that psychiatrists don't believe in withdrawals from SSRI drugs and believe once they are out of your system, your withdrawal goes away. I also learned that I should have weaned off both Lexapro and Abilify over a longer period of time. Anyway, when I saw my psychiatrist, he told me that he has been practicing for 40 years and there is no proof that SSRI Drug Withdrawal exists for any period longer than two weeks. Anything I found online in forums or wherever was not scientifically proven and has no basis in reality. He refused to look at any links I had or entertain the possibility that I was experiencing a real withdrawal to SSRI Drugs. I saw him in March of 2016--over a month since I stopped all drugs.

He also offered to put me back on Lexapro and Abilify to prove it wasn't causing these problems. I told him I would throw the bottle at him if he prescribed them to me. I said these drugs are dangerous and should not be taken by anyone unless they are fully aware of what they can do to your body.

Finally, I did ask the psychiatrist to answer a question for me. "Do I seem like the same person you saw a few months ago?" He said no. The transformation of personality was that different even a skeptic to see it. The only thing he offered me was a drug called Lorazepam 1 MG to help me sleep. Due to laws, I have to see him about every 3 months in order to get refills. Since taking 1MG of Lorazepam, I can finally sleep again. 

With no hope from the medical industry, and knowing I am not crazy, I sought out natural help. From a Chiropractor I have seen for the last 5 years, who also does acupuncture, I asked him for any help he could offer. He researched some acupuncture points, which we have just started doing later, on April 3, and also suggested I get in touch with a Naturopath. 

On April 1, 2016, I first saw a Naturopath. The Naturopath started me off by doing a full panel of bloodwork and they looked at any areas of concern. It showed a few problems but nothing that would cause the current state of emotions found above. She put me on a Gluten, Soy, and Dairy free Paleo Diet. She had me take some supplements, which were really expensive, and start a 8 week full body detox. I am currently waiting on a follow-up with her and in the midst of the diet changes and taking these supplements.

I also am going to see a massage therapist, from the same office, who is going to do a Raindrop Technique (I believe that is done with essential oils) and a lymph node massage. 

In addition, I have seen another lady, in the same office, who does Emotional Freedom Release. This is something like voodoo to me. She taps into my "energy field" to figure out what emotions are plaguing me and tries to get my body to release them. In the first visit, she told me several things about me she would have no idea of knowing about by tapping into my "energy field." Supposedly I need to recite a phrase: “I willingly and lovingly release all that no longer serves me in a positive and productive way.” In addition, I have been diffusing specific Essential Oils my body says it needs and using them on my skin. I don't know if I buy into this Emotional Freedom Release or not. It seems a lot like getting your palm read (though I have never had that done before).

Sadly, a Naturopath and acupuncture is not covered under my insurance and this part of my journey is getting really expensive--especially with all of these supplements and diet changes I have been asked to make.

I am roughly 10 weeks out since I stopped all antidepressants. Symptoms now listed below:

• The Anger seems to be better but it varies what sets me off. The headaches are still present just don't last as long.
  • My appetite is better on this new diet but has started to go away again in the last week, April 11, 2015.
  • My Libido is still completely gone. I am still not attracted to my wife or anyone else. I still cannot have a physical/emotional connection in sex. I still have various other PSSD symptoms. I still have no sense of spirituality. This and my PSSD are the worst symptoms.
  • I sleep only with Lorazepam 1 MG with the exception of 1 night.
  • My personality still is completely different. I still have no compassion for others. I am slightly better in terms of wanting to cause conflicts or hearing other opinions.
  • I still have noticed it is hard to concentrate and remember things.
  • In the last few days, April 11, 2016, I seem to be developing the worst depression of my life (much worse than anything I experienced above)
  • In the last few days, April 11, 2016, my mood can swing from normal to completely sad in moments.
  • Today, April 15, 2016, I started experiencing slight tremors in my hands making it difficult to do things like crack an egg, wipe down a pan, etc.

That is my story so far. I am hoping it gets better but, to be really honest with you, I am pretty hopeless. As a Christian, that believes the Holy Spirit is inside of me, having that vanish is pretty hopeless. This and the lack of a physical/emotional connection with my wife are very hard to live with. Can anyone relate to what I am going through? 

I have read in places that SSRI withdrawal takes place in an initial phase and a Phase 2 that is much worse. Supposedly Phase 2 comes anywhere from 6 weeks to a few months later after you discontinue medication.  Any truth to this?

Was on Wellbutrin, Pristiq, and Cymbalta over the course of 2 years (do not recall the exact dosages) and then was on Lexapro 20 MG and Lexapro 20 MG + Abilify 5 MG for 4+ years. My psychiatrist had me go off Abilify completely, with no reduction, due to potential long-term health issues. After this, he had me drop Lexapro in half to 10 MG for 2 weeks and then go off it completely. Was completely off antidepressants from 1/27/16 until 4/18/16 and then again since 5/5/16. Even after many weeks of being off, and trying reinstatement, I was suffering from various W/D symptoms and PSSD. You can follow my progress with My Story.

Currently Taking and Doing:

• Currently Taking Supplements: Fish Oil, Vitamin D, Methyl-SP K-14 (Mainly a B Vitamin Blend), GlutaShield, Desbio Serotonin, & Desbio Comprehensive Detox, Serotone Active K-38 (a blend of B12, St John's Wort, 5-HTP, and SAMe), Desbio Pineal Gland Glandular, & Desbio NAET Brain Balance.
  • Currently Eating Gluten, Dairy, Soy, & High Fructose Corn Syrup free and Paleo Style.
  • As of 4/1/16, started seeing a Naturopath that my Chiropractor referred me to and stopped taking Propranolol 40 MG with no tapering (Details Below).
  • As of 4/3/16, my Chiropractor began performing weekly Needle acupuncture on me. He stopped this when he saw how much I improved from Emotional Freedom Release. You can read about that here.
  • As of 4/6/16, I first began participating in Emotional Freedom Release.
  • As of 4/14/16 I ceased Lorazepam 1 MG with no tapering. (Details Below)
  • As of 4/18/16, reinstated homemade liquid form of Lexapro in 1 mL (1 MG). I refer to this as Reinstatement Phase 1.
  • As of 4/19/16, I resumed taking Propranolol 40 MG. (Details Below)
  • As of 4/20/16, started seeing a specialized Massage Therapist who is doing the Raindrop Technique, with Essential Oils, and Lymph Node Massage. Was told my brain is inflamed at my first appointment with her. She said this would have been caused by my medication or an injury in the past.
  • As of 4/23/16, upped homemade liquid form of Lexapro to 2 mL (2 MG). I refer to this as Reinstatement Phase 2.
  • As of 4/28/16, upped homemade liquid form of Lexapro to 3 ML (3 MG). I refer to this as Reinstatement Phase 3.
  • As of 5/3/16, upped homemade liquid form of Lexapro to 4 ML (4 MG). I refer to this as Reinstatement Phase 4.
  • As of 5/5/16, I quit reinstatement of Homemade Liquid Lexapro and decided that reinstatement has little chance of resolving my two largest remaining symptoms: Spiritual Block and PSSD. This was mainly from the feedback I was receiving in "My Story" (link above). I noticed no change in day to day W/D Symptoms while reinstating at every dose. 
  • As of 7/2/16, I was diagnosed with Low Testosterone of 156. Normal range is 300 to 998. This is the range of someone in their early to mid 80's. 
  • As of 7/4/16, I discovered research that is being done that shows drugs like SSRI Antidepressants and Beta Blockers like Propranolol can cause Low Testosterone and make your body cease producing it at the level you need.
  • As of 7/5/16, I am going to stop taking Propranolol again due to the findings of it causing Low Testosterone.
  • As of 7/5/16, I anticipate starting Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT).
  • In August, 2016, Testosterone Levels up to about 540.
  • As of 10/11/16, I have been doing TRT for many months and have moved from the Low T Center to another doctor willing to get my levels higher.  My Testosterone Levels are closer to 900 now.
  • As of 10/11/16, Still struggling with spiritual block, PSSD, and now seeing it lead to ED.  Connection to spouse and those close to you still not any better.  

Propranolol Details

I had previously taken a drug for Social Anxiety called Propranolol. I had been on this drug for as long as I have been taken Lexapro. My Naturopath suggested that I stop taking it on 4/1/16. Around 4/18/16 I noticed my Social Anxiety return with getting nervous in front of people, breaking out in sweat on my face and back, and being visibly embarrassed. I started taking my 40 MG dose of it again on 4/19/16 to counter this until I can find an alternate method for help. I feel like I can actually be around people again after resuming this medication. Due to studies that show this is one of many drugs that can cause low Testosterone. I stopped taking this drug again on 7/5/16. I honestly have no idea how I am going to cope.

Lorazepam Details

Apparently Lorazepam 1 MG may be causing other issues I wasn't aware of until posting "My Story." I took 1 MG of Lorazepam from 1/13/16 until  4/14/16 when I fell asleep early one night and didn't take my medication. Since then, sleep, on my own, has been better every night. My only W/D symptom from Lorazepam is a Headache. Headache seems to be gone now as of 4/22/16 and lasted for roughly 8 days. Carefully monitoring this situation and will reinstate if things get worse. I have no adverse reactions from ceasing Lorazepam 1 MG and may have dodged a bullet with this one.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kahleeb

• Altostrata

• Fresh

• JanCarol

Top Posters In This Topic

Kahleeb,

Sorry to hear of your experience, though as you'll see through reading this forum, it's not that uncommon.  I want to give you a word of caution concerning Lorazepam as it appears your psychiatrist has done you another injustice.  Lorazepam (also called Ativan) is a short half-life benzodiazepine that has severe dependency forming effects over a short time frame (as little as two weeks).  I HIGHLY recommend that before you continue using Lorazepam that you research it's effects and the debilitating dependency it causes over a short period.  Withdrawal from benzo's has been called worse than withdrawal from any illicit substance in existence (heroin, alcohol, opiates, etc).  I would now as I have suffered through it.  If you need further warning, go check out a forum called benzobuddies.org.

R/,

IHP

Year 0:      Social anxiety, obsessive thoughts, NO depression, NO suicidal ideations

Years 1-2: Ativan (benzo) <1mg as needed, not abused but developed physical dependence

Years 2-3: Paxil (20mg) augmented with Adderall XR (10-20mg) due to withdrawal from Ativan

Years 3-Present: Severe depression, headaches, psychiatric hospitalization, lost job, etc.

Kahleeb,

Sorry to hear of your experience, though as you'll see through reading this forum, it's not that uncommon.  I want to give you a word of caution concerning Lorazepam as it appears your psychiatrist has done you another injustice.  Lorazepam (also called Ativan) is a short half-life benzodiazepine that has severe dependency forming effects over a short time frame (as little as two weeks).  I HIGHLY recommend that before you continue using Lorazepam that you research it's effects and the debilitating dependency it causes over a short period.  Withdrawal from benzo's has been called worse than withdrawal from any illicit substance in existence (heroin, alcohol, opiates, etc).  I would now as I have suffered through it.  If you need further warning, go check out a forum called benzobuddies.org.

R/,

IHP

Thank you for posting to me about this. What can you suggest in terms of dealing with the Insomnia? I have tried over the counter medication and a few herbs but so far no luck in being able to fall asleep.

Was on Wellbutrin, Pristiq, and Cymbalta over the course of 2 years (do not recall the exact dosages) and then was on Lexapro 20 MG and Lexapro 20 MG + Abilify 5 MG for 4+ years. My psychiatrist had me go off Abilify completely, with no reduction, due to potential long-term health issues. After this, he had me drop Lexapro in half to 10 MG for 2 weeks and then go off it completely. Was completely off antidepressants from 1/27/16 until 4/18/16 and then again since 5/5/16. Even after many weeks of being off, and trying reinstatement, I was suffering from various W/D symptoms and PSSD. You can follow my progress with My Story.

• Currently Taking Supplements: Fish Oil, Vitamin D, Methyl-SP K-14 (Mainly a B Vitamin Blend), GlutaShield, Desbio Serotonin, & Desbio Comprehensive Detox, Serotone Active K-38 (a blend of B12, St John's Wort, 5-HTP, and SAMe), Desbio Pineal Gland Glandular, & Desbio NAET Brain Balance.
  • Currently Eating Gluten, Dairy, Soy, & High Fructose Corn Syrup free and Paleo Style.
  • As of 4/1/16, started seeing a Naturopath that my Chiropractor referred me to and stopped taking Propranolol 40 MG with no tapering (Details Below).
  • As of 4/3/16, my Chiropractor began performing weekly Needle acupuncture on me. He stopped this when he saw how much I improved from Emotional Freedom Release. You can read about that here.
  • As of 4/18/16, reinstated homemade liquid form of Lexapro in 1 mL (1 MG). I refer to this as Reinstatement Phase 1.
  • As of 4/20/16, started seeing a specialized Massage Therapist who is doing the Raindrop Technique, with Essential Oils, and Lymph Node Massage. Was told my brain is inflamed at my first appointment with her. She said this would have been caused by my medication or an injury in the past.
  • As of 4/23/16, upped homemade liquid form of Lexapro to 2 mL (2 MG). I refer to this as Reinstatement Phase 2.
  • As of 4/28/16, upped homemade liquid form of Lexapro to 3 ML (3 MG). I refer to this as Reinstatement Phase 3.
  • As of 5/3/16, upped homemade liquid form of Lexapro to 4 ML (4 MG). I refer to this as Reinstatement Phase 4.
  • As of 5/5/16, I quit reinstatement of Homemade Liquid Lexapro and decided that reinstatement has little chance of resolving my two largest remaining symptoms: Spiritual Block and PSSD. This was mainly from the feedback I was receiving in "My Story" (link above). I noticed no change in day to day W/D Symptoms while reinstating at every dose. 
  • As of 7/2/16, I was diagnosed with Low Testosterone of 156. Normal range is 300 to 998. This is the range of someone in their early to mid 80's. 
  • As of 7/4/16, I discovered research that is being done that shows drugs like SSRI Antidepressants and Beta Blockers like Propranolol can cause Low Testosterone and make your body cease producing it at the level you need.
  • As of 7/5/16, I am going to stop taking Propranolol again due to the findings of it causing Low Testosterone.
  • As of 10/11/16, I have been doing TRT for many months and have moved from the Low T Center to another doctor willing to get my levels higher.  My Testosterone Levels are closer to 900 now.
  • As of 10/11/16, Still struggling with spiritual block, PSSD, and now seeing it lead to ED.  Connection to spouse and those close to you still not any better.  

Propranolol Details

I had previously taken a drug for Social Anxiety called Propranolol. I had been on this drug for as long as I have been taken Lexapro. My Naturopath suggested that I stop taking it on 4/1/16. Around 4/18/16 I noticed my Social Anxiety return with getting nervous in front of people, breaking out in sweat on my face and back, and being visibly embarrassed. I started taking my 40 MG dose of it again on 4/19/16 to counter this until I can find an alternate method for help. I feel like I can actually be around people again after resuming this medication. Due to studies that show this is one of many drugs that can cause low Testosterone. I stopped taking this drug again on 7/5/16. I honestly have no idea how I am going to cope.

Lorazepam Details

Apparently Lorazepam 1 MG may be causing other issues I wasn't aware of until posting "My Story." I took 1 MG of Lorazepam from 1/13/16 until  4/14/16 when I fell asleep early one night and didn't take my medication. Since then, sleep, on my own, has been better every night. My only W/D symptom from Lorazepam is a Headache. Headache seems to be gone now as of 4/22/16 and lasted for roughly 8 days. Carefully monitoring this situation and will reinstate if things get worse. I have no adverse reactions from ceasing Lorazepam 1 MG and may have dodged a bullet with this one.

I haven't myself suffered from insomnia, but many others on here have.  I recommend starting with a search in the Symptoms folder as well as in this folder.  Other members should chime in shortly.

-R/,

IHP

Year 0:      Social anxiety, obsessive thoughts, NO depression, NO suicidal ideations

Years 1-2: Ativan (benzo) <1mg as needed, not abused but developed physical dependence

Years 2-3: Paxil (20mg) augmented with Adderall XR (10-20mg) due to withdrawal from Ativan

Years 3-Present: Severe depression, headaches, psychiatric hospitalization, lost job, etc.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Kahleeb, welcome to SA. Not many doctors have a clue about withdrawal! If you had accepted the script you might have felt better in a very short time, and then he would have said it is because you need the drug for a chemical imbalance which has now been proved to be a myth cooked up by the drug companies to sell their drugs. He wouldn't have even considered that it was withdrawal and more of the drug stops it  :wacko: . 

Be very very careful with lorazepam, it is highly addictive and in time will stop working for sleep. When did you start taking it? Can you add it to your signature? 

You could try reinstating a very tiny dose of lexapro, even 1mg could be enough to ease the withdrawal, then you could taper from that small dose slowly. Side effects are dose related and often people find the side effects have lessened so much they are more bearable than the withdrawal. . No-one EVER wants to reinstate , and it is entirely up to you, I just wanted to let you know it is an option. 

You have the double whammy of both lexapro and abilify, so there is no wonder you are feeling rotten! 

Withdrawal insomnia is terrible and something I have suffered with so know how it feels. I would have periods of time when I didn't get any sleep at all for days  at worst, and just 2 or 3 hours at best.  I learned that I had to go to bed and just relax. To love my bed and enjoy the feeling of being cocooned in the duvet, warm and protected. Even if sleep didn't come I relaxed and got through it somehow but have to admit there were times when I felt pretty desperate but resisted the urge to try more drugs.  There are some great topics on sleep and what has helped people. Be careful if using supplements because some can make things worse. We don't recommend expensive programmes and detoxes or expensive supplements, because the nervous system will eventually repair itself in time. The human body and brain  remarkable in their ability to heal from drug use when left alone to do it naturally. Some people find some simple supplements help,

good quality fish oil is really good for the brain, and  magnesium helps with relaxation and sleep for some people. Some find melatonin helpful for sleep but it never did anything for me. We are all different and each of us have to find our way of getting though. 

I can assure you that it will get better, you will have what we call windows and waves, where things improve and you start to feel better, only to be knocked back again. The windows are the improvements and the waves are the hard times. We have to ride those waves and hang on for dear life! Eventually the windows will be longer and the waves will lessen until they are ripples. There are no time frames, as I said, we are all different and some recover sooner than others. 

Staying positive and looking at the good things that surround us helps us through. Focussing on the bad symptoms and negative things makes it harder to endure. Either way it will get better, but I can't tell you when. 

I will find some links for you. 

On reinstating should you choose to try.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7562-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-reduce-withdrawal-symptoms/

Windows and waves 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/82-the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-stabilization/

Sleep,  if you scroll down the page you will find a section with links to sleep topics. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/604-important-topics-about-symptoms-including-sleep-problems/

Magnesium

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

Fish oil 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Thanks mammaP. I started taking Lorazepam roughly on January 13, 2016 after my Psychiatrist said would be the best thing for helping me sleep since it only has a 4 hour half-life. I have been taking 1 MG nightly to sleep. It hasn't lost its effect on me yet. I have also added this to my signature.

I am terrified about having to face another withdrawal and also that I might not be able to sleep. I am a stay at home dad, homeschooling a 7 and 4 year old, and also have twin 8 month old. All boys. Coping with my current withdrawals--while doing all of this--is a daily challenge. Having a hard time how I will manage with more WD symptoms.

As for reinstating the drug, would I want to do this for both Abilify and Lexapro? Looking at the calendar more closely, I am 11 weeks and 2 days off Lexapro and 13 weeks and 2 days off Abilify. Am I too far out to even consider this an option? This would also mean I have to continue a relationship with the Psychiatrist who put me on this mess to begin with and doesn't believe there is a problem. This is also assuming he would be willing to do this.

Unlike other sites, I see nowhere the phrasing: Phase 1 SSRI Withdrawal Symptoms or Phase 2 SSRI Withdrawal Symptoms. Is this a difference in opinion on the matter?

I will check out the other links you provided but will comment that I tried Magnesium with no success. I am also taking a really good Fish Oil with 1720 EPA and 1300 DHA daily. I should probably add that to my signature as well?

Propranolol Details

Lorazepam Details

Hi Kahleeb, I am a new member, so I am hoping a moderator will chime in soon about the Lorazepam.

I noticed in your signature line that you are debating stopping taking Lorazepam as of today. Please read what some of the experienced members have said on this site about tapering off benzos. I have no experience with it, but I have read many times that they cause some of the worst withdrawal symptoms. Also, the general wisdom I have learned here is to delay tapering off a second drug until you are stable place in withdrawal symptoms.

I am glad you found this forum. I am finding it to be full of very wise advice.

1980-84?: tricyclic antidepressant? unknown dosage, gradually quit by forgetting to take it

2011: Cipralex 10 mg increased to 20 mg after two months, Zyprexa 2.5 mg increased to 5 mg after one month

2012: Cipralex 20 mg, Zyprexa reduced to 2.5 mg, then stopped (withdrawal symptoms attributed to depression), Abilify 2 mg, then increased to 5 mg 

2013: Cipralex 20 mg, Wellbutrin 150 mg, Abilify decreased to 2 mg and then stopped

2014: Cipralex reduced to 10 mg (no taper and withdrawal symptoms), Wellbutrin 150 mg

2015-16: Cipralex 10 mg, Wellbutrin 150 mg

Started tapering Cipralex on March 31, 2016: 9 mg; April 27: 8.25 mg, May 25: 7.25 mg

Off Cipralex late fall 2016 after a slow taper.

Off Wellbutrin late winter/early spring 2017 after a taper.

Hi Kahleeb, I am a new member, so I am hoping a moderator will chime in soon about the Lorazepam.

I noticed in your signature line that you are debating stopping taking Lorazepam as of today. Please read what some of the experienced members have said on this site about tapering off benzos. I have no experience with it, but I have read many times that they cause some of the worst withdrawal symptoms. Also, the general wisdom I have learned here is to delay tapering off a second drug until you are stable place in withdrawal symptoms.

I am glad you found this forum. I am finding it to be full of very wise advice.

I appreciate you jumping in and adding to the conversation. I honestly don't know what to do in regards to Lorazepam. For one, I am scared if the W/D would get harder if I wait to go off it. I talked to my wife about an hour ago about it and will probably be debating this the rest of the day. 

Propranolol Details

Lorazepam Details

Kahleeb, this is a good thread to help you right now: Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

And please read this thread: The rule of 3KIS: Keep it simple. Keep it slow. Keep it stable.

I am glad to hear that your wife is supporting you in this. My husband is very supportive and I find that it makes a huge difference.

1980-84?: tricyclic antidepressant? unknown dosage, gradually quit by forgetting to take it

2011: Cipralex 10 mg increased to 20 mg after two months, Zyprexa 2.5 mg increased to 5 mg after one month

2012: Cipralex 20 mg, Zyprexa reduced to 2.5 mg, then stopped (withdrawal symptoms attributed to depression), Abilify 2 mg, then increased to 5 mg 

2013: Cipralex 20 mg, Wellbutrin 150 mg, Abilify decreased to 2 mg and then stopped

2014: Cipralex reduced to 10 mg (no taper and withdrawal symptoms), Wellbutrin 150 mg

Started tapering Cipralex on March 31, 2016: 9 mg; April 27: 8.25 mg, May 25: 7.25 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

You have been on lorazepam for 3 months so it would probably be hard to taper it fast now and as it is helping you might be best to keep it for now and taper it later,  you don't need benzo withdrawal on top of what you are already experiencing. If you had only been taking for  a very short time it would have been better to just use it occasionally but after 3 months would likely have some withdrawal.  Do you need to see the psychiatrist to get a prescription? A GP should be able to prescribe  them for you if that is what you want to do. After 3 months  it might help but would have to be a very tiny dose to start, as you could be sensitive to them now. 

I think I would start with the lexapro and see how it goes. If you reinstate both together and are sensitive to one of them you won't be able to tell which one it is. 

You have your hands full with the little ones, twin babies and home schooling, that must be both a delight and a very hard job!  

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

As of right now, I am not going to reinstate medication. First of all, I would have to find a GP to work with. The one I normally use, at the doc in a box locations known as Care Now, refused to help me with any insomnia issues and told me I needed to see a Psychiatrist for that. I am guessing that they would also refer me back to a Psychiatrist for this as well.  That leaves me with first getting into my Psychiatrist, getting him to recognize the condition he refuses to believe, and then allowing me to have the dosage I want. It sounds like a lot of work for something that might only work.

I have shared this information with my wife and she isn't so sure of reinstatement either.

She doesn't want me to stop Lorazepam mainly because I need sleep. The W/D concerns were secondary to her but she may not understand them fully. I am leaning towards trying to stop Lorazepam if I can fall asleep tonight. At this point, I don't know how I could feel worse. I may quickly change my mind in a few days though.

I can't stress to you all how hopeless I feel. Are any of you religious or Christians? Can you imagine what it is like to have the presence of God sapped out of you? I am by no means trying to compare myself to Christ here but I imagine this is how Christ felt on the cross when He said in Matthew 24:6: 

..."My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"

I am by no means trying to preach to you or change your viewpoints on Christianity. For those of you uninformed on the subject, in the Christian world, we believe that Christ, who was God in the form of man, died the death of a non-Christian. That is, He died without the presence of God. Having lived with this presence, in my life, for as long as I have--not having it is pure hell on earth. It makes all things meaningless.

Propranolol Details

Lorazepam Details

... I am leaning towards trying to stop Lorazepam if I can fall asleep tonight. At this point, I don't know how I could feel worse ...

Kahleeb, I think if you stop the Lorazepam cold turkey you could not only feel much worse, but the withdrawal symptoms might last longer. Please don't do anything to make yourself feel worse. Read again what mammaP wrote:

You have been on lorazepam for 3 months so it would probably be hard to taper it fast now and as it is helping you might be best to keep it for now and taper it later,  you don't need benzo withdrawal on top of what you are already experiencing ...

I am sorry that you are feeling so bad right now, but please try to stabilize and don't quit anything cold turkey. I am not a Christian, but I am a spiritual person. My thoughts will be with you tonight to make the best choice for yourself.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Kahleeb , welcome to the site.

"I have read in places that SSRI withdrawal takes place in an initial phase and a Phase 2 that is much worse. Supposedly Phase 2 comes anywhere from 6 weeks to a few months later after you discontinue medication. Any truth to this?"

Yes , this is true , we see it over and over.

Some people manage fine for a few months , then get slammed by new and intense symptoms. Many who have stopped abruptly also get severe waves around the 9 months mark

It's worth keeping this in mind. Avoiding months and months of debilitating symptoms makes finding a doctor worthwhile. Some members don't tell their doctors they are tapering , they

just get prescriptions and do their own thing.

I don't know if you've read the thread on reinstating yet , but you would start with 1 or 2 mg.

We can advise you how to get that tiny dose from a 20mg tablet. So essentially , if you have

any tablets at all left , you could start this by yourself , without a doctor.

bw , Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

I understand Kahleeb, the decision is yours and if you don't want to reinstate that is fine. Dealing with doctors is one of the worst parts of this nightmare! 

Please make a thread in our benzo forum and discuss with the experts about quitting lorazepam. I think it would be better to keep things stable right now while your nervous system adjusts. Can you get the scripts for lorazepam without going to the psychiatrist? 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/29-members-only-benzo-forum/

I also understand the feeling of losing your spirituality, I've been there too. This is all the drugs and withdrawal, underneath you are the same person. I know you will have seen this poem before, I've copied the last part to remind you. Prayer can be a tonic because you are talking, and that helps. Because you can't feel doesn't mean that you are alone.   It will come back! 

"Lord, You told me when I decided to follow You, You would walk and talk with me all the way. But I'm aware that during the most troublesome times of my life there is only one set of footprints. I just don't understand why, when I need You most, You leave me."

He whispered, "My precious child, I love you and will never leave you, never, ever, during your trials and testings. When you saw only one set of footprints, It was then that I carried you."

2002  effexor. 

• Moderator Emeritus

I see Fresh posted while I was typing. Fresh had success reinstating after several months.  

2002  effexor. 

• Moderator Emeritus

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

So many great responses. Thank you all. I have an appointment at the Naturopath office this morning so I must be brief.

Fresh, how would I get the 1-2 mg from the 20 mg tablets? I also still have abilify 5 mg tablets. Would I want to do the same thing, at some point, with the 1 mg Lorazepam tablets?

Eager to hear about this especially if I don't have to crawl back to my doctor.

Propranolol Details

Lorazepam Details

4/16/16 Update: I have been participating in what is called Emotional Freedom Release. Today was my second session. You can read more about what this actually is here. In summary, this is a bit "out there." From what I was told, your subconscious knows everything about you and your body. It also knows what your body needs. When we have negative emotions, they get trapped inside our bodies in different organs. This can cause health issues and can also be passed to others as well. Negative emotions vibrate at a very low frequency.

Have you ever gone into a room or been in a situation where you could just feel the tension in the air? You are feeling those specific emotions people are giving off. What Emotional Freedom Release does is allows the practicer to "tap in" to your energy field and get yes or no answers to questions about you. For example, the practicer can ask your subconscious if your Body has any Negative Emotions it wants to release. Then you start narrowing down what those negative emotions are, if you came by them yourself or inherited them from one or both parents, and if your parents inherited them from their parents. I don't blame you if you don't believe this because I didn't either.

During my first session, we discovered many negative emotions. This is coming from a person that knows nothing about me and doesn't want you telling her anything about your life. Specifically, I was told: "The emotions that surfaced to you was depression, forlorn, guilt, and anger. These emotions are trapped from your own experiences but also inherited from your parents. They are effecting your liver, gall bladder, heart and small intestines." My Subconscious said I inherited Anger from my Dad and he inherited it from his Dad. I inherited Depression from both my Mom and Dad. Guilt and Forlorn were both inherited from my Mother. 

During my first session, my subconscious was unable to release these emotions. I was also told that my body wanted specific Essential Oils: Roman Chamomile, Geranium, Cleansing Blend and I was also told to use Lemongrass. It was suggested I diffuse these for at least 30 minutes to an hour a day and use them on my skin if I wanted to as well (except for Lemongrass. Only diffuse it).

Okay, so she found some emotions that I am dealing with without knowing anything about me. Coincidence? I decided I might as well go "all in" and try this to see what happens What did I have to lose. So I spent the next week and a half reciting "I lovingly and willingly release all that no longer serves me a positive and productive way." I listened to 432 Mhz Music during Detox Baths and let me mind think of negative emotions in my life. When something would come to mind, I would recite the above and name that specific instance. It was peaceful and calming in a meditative sort of way. I am not into meditation at all.

Fast forward to today, 4/16/16. From my other posts, you can probably tell I wasn't in a good place. Negative feelings and emotions have surfaced and I was feeling very hopeless. That is the baggage I carried into my second Emotional Freedom Release session. We went into more detail about each of the emotions and even started pinpointing an exact year when these feelings began to surface in my life. We then talked about what happened in that specific year to try and pinpoint what was causing this. These are things I haven't really ever thought of in my entire life. 

But by putting a specific year on things, I was able to recall very specific events that each of these emotions was tied to. Again, how would this person know any of this? Fortunately, my body was willing to release Anger, Depression, Forlorn, and Guilt. However, how you release it is also sorta "out there." (As if none of this already was...)  She had you sit on a spinning chair--like a doctor sees you with in an office--with your back to her. She had me smell a specific Essential Oil called Release from Young Living. I held the bottle and smelled it and we went through each emotion. As I sniffed away, I asked my body to release the specific emotions--thinking of the specific events and faces of people that caused them--while the practicer rolled a Magnet bar up and down my spine about 30 times. 

Call it a placebo effect or some sort of counseling session but I do feel "lighter." Like years and years of burdens and negativity has been released from my body. Though I still feel "off" due to the Withdrawal effects of Lexapro and Abilify, I haven't felt this good in months. I was told that though the negative emotions, listed above, are no longer trapped inside my body. I have to be careful to not allow them to regain a place inside me. Also, I was told to put my hand over my heart and my other hand over the top of my stomach and say "these emotions have no place inside of me" when I feel them coming back. I should not try to hide my feelings and emotions or ignore them but tackle them head on as they arise. If I feel guilt, depression, etc, I should ask "why am I feeling this way?"

I am going to do another Detox Bath tonight with the 432 Mhz music and try to locate more emotions to release. I go back for a third session in about 2 weeks as my subconscious says it wants to release more emotions. We didn't have time to tackle what those were this session.

Now if I could only get this "spiritual block" and "emotional/physical" connection with my wife resolved. Hoping possibly reinstatement of Lexapro and then Abilify will help with this. I await directions from Fresh on using my unused bottles of 20 MG Lexapro and 5 MG Abilify.  That is unless anyone out there thinks this could be a better road to recovery. I have no idea how to fully explain what I went through or how I feel. I don't even fully comprehend how it works and how it could be staged/faked...

Propranolol Details

Lorazepam Details

• Moderator Emeritus

Good morning kahleeb , it sounds like you're getting a lot out of the course and that's wonderful.

We have lots of resources in the Symptoms and Self Care section that may interest you.

With regard to reinstating , ideally you would only need to reinstate lexapro. You could see how

that goes and may decide you don't need wellbutrin.

Because you have been taking lorazepam daily for 3 months , it's dangerous to just stop it now.

Please keep the dose the same for now.

Instructions for making a liquid solution from tablets are here url=http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2693-how-to-make-a-liquid-from-tablets-or-capsules/]http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2693-how-to-make-a-liquid-from-tablets-or-capsules/[/url]

Essentially , if you dissolve one 20mg tablet in 20mls of water , you have a 1:1 solution. You need

to buy 2 plastic syringes , 10mls and 3mls. Then you can be precise , and draw up 1ml (i.e. 1mg) or

whatever dose you want.

The solution keeps for about a week , so if you can divide the pills exactly using a digital scale , you can

do it in batches of 5mls. To get started , cutting the tablets will be fine , but if you continue you'll want

a digital jewellers' scale that weighs to 0.000 , about $30 on ebay.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Thank you Fresh. Emotional Freedom Release seems to be doing wonders. I would highly recommend it to anyone.

In regards to reinstating I had a question. If I need to post this somewhere else just let me know.

The two main issues I am experiencing: (1) PSSD symptoms and (2) this "spiritual block" are the main reasons I would attempt to reinstate. I know this forum isn't particularly focussed on PSSD, but do you feel this would help either issue? I didn't have either issue when taking Lexapro 20 mg and Abilify 5 mg.

In addition, I am taking the concerns about ceasing Lorazepam very seriously. I haven't fully made up my mind on that issue yet.

If anyone else has comments or feedback about this, I would love to hear from you. Thanks!

Propranolol Details

Lorazepam Details

• Moderator Emeritus

If the pssd came after stopping , it's a symptom of withdrawal. For some people it's alleviated by reinstating.

Try reading

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6268-pssd-went-away-after-reinstatement-tapering/?hl=pssd

and

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/52-post-ssri-sexual-dysfunction-pssd/?hl=pssd

You may wish to discuss the benzo taper on the "Members' Only Benzo Forum" with Wellness or Skyler , our benzo experts

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

Thanks again to everyone that has posted. So I am going to start at the pharmacy tomorrow and see if I can get the bottles and syringes I need to begin a reinstatement. From the links shared, I see that you should expect the following:

• "It takes at least 4 days for your body to fully register the addition of a neuroactive drug. Unless you have an immediate bad reaction, observe your symptom pattern for about a week to see if the reinstatement is helping. If you have an immediate bad reaction, reduce or stop taking the drug."
  • "Once you feel withdrawal symptoms are reduced after reinstatement, give your nervous system time to stabilize before attempting dosage reduction. Think in terms of months, not days."

Before I start a reinstatement, I have a few questions:

• Is it recommended that I start with 1 MG of Lexapro, give it 5 days and see if my symptoms are better?  
  • If they are not better, should I up it by another full MG--2 MG in total--for another 5 days and see if my symptoms are better?
  • If my symptoms are not getting better, and I am not having an adverse reaction to the medication, at what point do I stop and say this isn't working?
  • If I find a dosage that works, how long do I stay on it until I begin tapering off 10% at a time?

From the threads I read, it appears I should be asking these questions here. If this is not correct, please direct me to where I need to go.

Thanks all for your help!

Propranolol Details

Lorazepam Details

Kahleeb

Welcome to the site. This is a wonderful place! I am just dropping by to give support. I successfully reinstated after three months and a rapid taper. Listen to the mods on dosage because they are so knowledgeable.

God has been my rock during all of these ups and downs and I will pray for you!

God blesses those who patiently endure testing and temptation. Afterward they will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.

James 1:12

40 years old and have been on 20 mg of Paxil for the last 19 years. Multiple unsuccessful attempts to quit over the years.01/2015 Was tapering using liquid Paxil. MD has prescribed 1 ml = 2mg taper every two weeks or once withdrawal symptoms at that dose subside. Reduced from 20 to 10 mg using this method and at 10 mg severe withdrawal set in. 1.5 months of pure hell. Found SA, learned what was happening, and reinstated to 20 mg. After a month of severe symptoms recovered with the reinstatement. Fish oil - Multi Vitamin - Pro-biotic, amino-acid/B Vitamin supplement every day. Magnesium as needed.08/09/15 - 18 mg - 09/08/15 - 16.4 mg - 10/10/15 - 15 mg - 01/02/16 - 13.6 mg 02/15/16 - 12.0 mg - Bad symptom flare up 40 days into drop - Dizziness, panic/anxiety, overheating (esp at night), low appetite, headache, insomnia with bizarre dreams, internal shaking. 04/16/16 - 11mg - 7/17/16 - 10 mg holding.....

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Kahleeb , this is exactly the right place to ask all your questions.

If you feel no difference after 5 days , you can continue to increase by 1 mg at a time until you do.

At some point , you'll either get symptom relief , or unpleasant side-effects from taking more than

your body can metabolize. Some people notice a positive effect within hours.

So it's not possible to keep increasing without any effect. Any dose that brings relief that's lower

than 20 mg is a bonus.

Once you feel your symptoms are tolerable , we suggest staying on that dose for a good 2 or 3 months

(longer if you prefer) to allow your cns to recover and strengthen, When I reinstated pristiq in 2014 ,

I stayed on my starter dose for 8 months because I was continuing to improve , so it seemed silly to

start tapering until I was as well as I could feel.

:)

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

Hi Kahleeb , this is exactly the right place to ask all your questions.

If you feel no difference after 5 days , you can continue to increase by 1 mg at a time until you do.

At some point , you'll either get symptom relief , or unpleasant side-effects from taking more than

your body can metabolize. Some people notice a positive effect within hours.

So it's not possible to keep increasing without any effect. Any dose that brings relief that's lower

than 20 mg is a bonus.

Once you feel your symptoms are tolerable , we suggest staying on that dose for a good 2 or 3 months

(longer if you prefer) to allow your cns to recover and strengthen, When I reinstated pristiq in 2014 ,

I stayed on my starter dose for 8 months because I was continuing to improve , so it seemed silly to

start tapering until I was as well as I could feel.

:)

A follow-up question I have is I have already been informed earlier in this post that reinstating doesn't work for some people and since I have been off the medication since January 27, 2016, it may not work for me.  So I am confused when you say that I will get symptom relief or unpleasant side effects. Does this mean if I get the unpleasant side effects that I have increased too much or that it won't work for me?  Would I just need to back the dosage down and let it stay in my system more to see if the W/D symptoms go away?

Thanks again for clarifying this for me, Fresh!

Propranolol Details

Lorazepam Details

Kahleeb

Welcome to the site. This is a wonderful place! I am just dropping by to give support. I successfully reinstated after three months and a rapid taper. Listen to the mods on dosage because they are so knowledgeable.

God has been my rock during all of these ups and downs and I will pray for you!

God blesses those who patiently endure testing and temptation. Afterward they will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.

James 1:12

I appreciate your post.

Propranolol Details

Lorazepam Details

• Moderator Emeritus

Kahleeb , there are lots of things that can influence whether reinstatement is successful or not. This

included the number of medications one has been on and off , the number of years this has been happening

for , etc. Each change alters the central nervous system. A medication that has helped in the past may not have the same effect 3 or 6 months later.

There isn't a guarantee , but it works for a majority of people most of the time.

If you get some unpleasant side effects from 1mg , if they are tolerable , I would persevere for a few days. If they're

too awful , you might try 0.5mg.

It's fine if you post about how you're reacting / responding , and we monitor things as they unfold.

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

Update 4/18/16: I had a very difficult time getting a pharmacy to sell me any liquid prescription bottles and syringes. My wife tried at Walgreens yesterday and they told her no. I tried today at two "mom and pop" pharmacy shops and the second one said they would sell me bottles and syringes. I successfully made a 10 MG solution with 10 ML of Distilled Water and took my first 1 ML dose of Lexapro.  

Also, I should mention that I have decided to go against the advice of this forum in regards to Lorazepam. I missed a dose on 4/14/16 due to falling asleep early one night. It was the first night I have slept all night without medication since early this year. I haven't taken another dose yet. Closely monitoring this situation with my only W/D symptom being a headache. However, it isn't nearly as bad as the Lexapro and/or Abilify W/D headaches.

Will continue to update with my results and if I see any difference with the 1 mL Lexapro Solution.

Propranolol Details

Lorazepam Details

Are any of you familiar with the drug propranolol? I was prescribed it for social anxiety and my naturopath suggested I stop taking it. After around two weeks I could start telling it wasn't in my system and started having issues of getting nervous in a group or talking to someone in person. I also get really sweaty when I am in a group or talking to someone and can visibly get embarrassed.

Would you suggest this is something safe to resume?

Propranolol Details

Lorazepam Details

• Moderator Emeritus

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

Update 4/20: Today I went back to my Naturopath office and saw a massage therapist who specializes in all sorts of different techniques.  One of them is called the Rain Drop technique. This is a somewhat controversial massage technique where several different Young Living Essential Oils are poured directly on your skin (known as NEAT).  I am not sure all the specific oils she used but one of them was Oregano. These were a lot of very "hot" oils that burn your skin.  Once they started burning, she had another oil to counter that to take the burn away.  The oils continued to be dropped all up and down my spine and she lightly massaged it into my skin.  I had some experience using Oregano as I battled a multitude of problems with staph infections. This is a very unpleasant oil to use directly on your skin.

The massage therapist also did a lymph node massage checking to see how my fluid was moving.  She said it was sluggish all over my body.  Then she started massaging my liver and it didn't hurt until she hit a portion of it and she told me that I had some sort of blockage keeping it from flowing correctly. She worked on massaging this out and boy did that hurt.

Then she started looking at my brain and lightly moving my head around.  She told me it was supposed to flow and move a certain way and mine was barely moving. I was told my brain was inflamed and this was probably the reason for my sluggish lymph system.  She said this would cause all sorts of issues all throughout your body and could be caused by medication or a prior injury. 

She also used some type of tuning fork to put it near my head and on my feet to help with jumpstart the fluid and get it moving again. 

Okay, this is weird but is it any more strange than the Emotional Freedom Release? Probably not. But it is interesting to know that perhaps one of the things SSRI drugs do is inflame your brain and that could be something that is causing a lot of the problems we encounter during our recoveries.

At this point I am still willing to try anything and setup another appointment with her in mid-May to try both techniques again.

Propranolol Details

Lorazepam Details

Update 4/22: Today is day 5 on reinstating Lexapro at my 1 mL (1 MG) dose. I have noticed the past couple of days that I am getting very tired again. I used to fall asleep on my computer after my family went to sleep. Sometimes that is in my chair and other times I could barely make it to the couch before collapsing. I would then sleep for several hours, until it was almost time to get up, and make my way into my actual bed. This has started happening again the past three nights. 

This feeling of being tired is bleeding over into the daytime hours. As of today, Day 5, while on the reinstated 1 mL (1 MG) dose, I am now barely able to function due to wanting to sleep. I guess I had these same issues before and they will get better in time or I will learn to live with being tired?

I see absolutely no change in my "spiritual block" or whatever you want to call that. So I don't think the 1 mL (1 MG) dose is helping here.

For the PSSD, I see a small change, for the better. It isn't by any means gone but different for the better. So this is a step in the right direction. 

I am going to direct this question to Fresh but if anyone else feels they can answer, please provide feedback. Do you suggest I go ahead and move on to 2 mL (2 MG) for the next 5 days? This seems like the right thing to do with sleep being the one side effect so far. I can tell you that I do not like feeling this drowsy. I feel like I could curl up and go to sleep right now.

Propranolol Details

Lorazepam Details

Hi Kahleeb, I just read through your posts and wanted to stop and offer some support. I too have been experiencing "spiritual block" as you called it. Of all my symptoms, that and my lost connection to my wife, are the two most unnerving ones. So, I can relate to what you are going through. It's not easy but it does get better. In the month since I went through my "drug crisis" i've seen some slight improvements. Try to be patient,again, not easy. One thing that helps me is to keep a journal. I write in it like I am having a conversation with God. It's more like a prayer book actually, and it also serves as a good way to keep track of symptoms as well.

One other item I want you to be aware of. Propranolol is in a class of drugs called beta-blockers, they work by slowing your heart rate and lowering your blood pressure. There is a danger of something we call rebound-tachycardia, basically a dramatic increase in heart rate, occurring if you stop taking it cold-turkey. I've had numerous patients come into the hospital with it after CT'ing beta-blockers. It is not an enjoyable experience. So, be very careful with that!

Welcome to the SA. I'll send up some prayers for you. May God give you strength to get through this!

Currently reinstated Cymbalta(Mar 17,2016) after experiencing withdrawal while switching to Viibryd. Reinstated Cymbalta at 20mg QD.

1999 200mg Zoloft

2010 0mg Zoloft 60mg Cymbalta

2015 60mg Cymbalta 150mg Seroquel 100mg Topamax

Mar. 2016 20mg Cymbalta. 30mg Viibryd doing a quick taper 150mg Seroquel

April 1, 2016 off viibryd, 20mg Cymbalta, 150mg Seroquel

GI & Cardiac meds:

40mg pantoprazole QD

Also take 75mg plavix QD, 3.125mg carvedilol BID, and 81mg aspirin QD.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Kahleeb, I would wait a bit longer before going up in dose. If sleeping is a side effects then going up could make you even more tired. Your body is telling you it needs to sleep, so sleep if you need to and can go to bed. Sleep is amazing and our bodies repair themselves while sleeping. It is good that there are some improvements, however small they are a good sign. Hang in there for now and see how it goes for another week or so. 

2002  effexor. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi kahleeb , when is the worst tiredness in relation to when you take your dose? If the tiredness

comes after taking it , it makes sense to make it an evening dose.

bw ,

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

Fresh, after about 2-3 doses, I was getting tired in the evenings and I would just fall asleep wherever I was at in the house around 11 PM. As I approached Dose 4 and 5, I was getting tired all day long--as soon as I woke up. Though I took it around 10 to 11 AM, I was tired all the time. As of dose 6, I wasn't nearly as tired. Maybe my body is adjusting? Due to this, I went ahead and took 2 mL (2 MG) of Lexapro and will see what happens next. (Please don't feel like I am ignoring your advice, mammaP. I value your input!)

As a stay at home dad who also homeschools his kids, being tired all the time is not good. Then again, with all the other W/D symptoms I had, none of this is good. 

Also, purcy51, thank you for giving me your insight on Propranolol and sharing with me what you are going through. It is a HUGE relief to hear that I am not the only person going through this. During this ordeal, I have had people question my faith, suggesting it isn't valid, because of how I explained the presence of the Holy Spirit has vanished after I stopped my drugs. I think people sometimes forget they need to be encouraging to others during dark times.

Propranolol Details

Lorazepam Details