SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

rowinghippy: citalopram has been terrible, need advice

rowinghippy

Hi all,

Long story short. Was anorexic last year until Christmas, starting recovering from that/weight restoring in January 2016. One of the ED therapists I worked with told me anxiety peaks once weight it restored, which happened (although didn't learn this until recently) - end of April 2016 I went into psychiatric hold because the anxiety was making me suicidal.

Big mistake. Doc there put me on 20mg of Citalopram. For the next month I did therapy which along with an occasional Benzo resolved the anxiety. 

By May the Citalopram kicked in, with all its side effects. Extreme nausea, dry heaving, insomnia, weight gain, hunger cues messed up (already were from anorexia, but worsened), acne, gynecomastia, swollen fingers, fatigue - so bad (daily nausea was excrutiating) I nearly killed myself at the end of June. But I finally found a good doc, who through the next month of tests, determined it was the meds.

Began tapering first day in August, 20 mg to 15 mg. Took a supp called Serosyn with 5HTP, L-theanine, and B vitamins. Withdrawal consisted of chapped lips in in the first week, increased hunger (I could be full but my brain still screamed to eat), fatigue (different form than when on 20 mg), wired feeling and weight gain. Leveled off a bit after 3 weeks, although I should have stayed there longer (but I didn't because the effects of 20 mg have been so bad that I've been trying to get off asap).

2 and a half weeks ago went down to 10 mg. Like before, chapped lips in the first week, wired feeling persisting, continued weight gain, and insatiable hunger. As before the lips are healing, but the hunger is still messed up (early fullness, insatiable hunger). Tired still, waking up hungry even after eating a lot at night.

Haven't exercised in 8 months - first b/c of anorexia recovery, by now b/c exercise messes up my hunger cues/I cannot seem to physically eat enough.

Worried I've been too aggressive with the taper, and that I'm doing irreparable damage to my nervous system. I wonder if I should reinstate 15 mg (scared it won't help/cause more complications) and start a slower taper? Seriously scared reinstating will mess things up even more, but equally scared that I've dropped too fast and have messed up my nervous system irreparably (and that my hunger cues/weight, which have been messed since starting anorexia recovery, are doomed for life).

tl;dr:

20 mg citalopram was full of terrible side effects, dropped to 15 and then to 10 pretty quickly, and paying the price; wondering if I should wait it out for another week to see if anything improves like the 20-15 drop, or reinstate 15 and go slower from there (also scared I'm ruined for the rest of my life, I've had to quit a lot of things because of this damn med).

On the bright side, gynecomastia, acne, and such are improving as expected. But this messed up hunger is getting at me (as is the weight gain and general crap feeling that I've had ever since starting this med).

4/24/16: 20 mg citalopram

8/1/16: 15 mg

8/22/16: 10 mg

9/16/16: reinstated to 12 mg

12/1/16: 11 mg

2/20/17: 10 mg

11/20/17: CT, med free

1/18/18: began regimen (keto, synthroid, supps, etc.)

11/21/18: off keto, lowered synthroid, began exercise

2/07/19: off synthroid/all supps

4/15/19: began tirosint (clean version of synthroid, with less side effects)

• Moderator Emeritus

rowinghippy -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but am glad that you found us. Thanks for creating a signature.

It can be mind-boggling what withdrawal from SSRIs cause. Here are a few topics about withdrawal symptoms:
What is withdrawal syndrome
Glenmullen’s withdrawal symptom list

You've made 2 large dose cuts, now at 50% of your starting dose after 5 weeks.  If you can tolerate the symptoms, i.e. they don't disrupt your ability to function (work, take care of yourself), then it's best to stay at 10 mg rather than updose. If you choose to updose, consider trying an intermediate dose of 12.5 mg for 2 weeks. The CNS (central nervous system) starts to react to dose cuts within a week or so of the change; returning to the previous dosage can be destabilizing.

Whether you choose to hold at 10 or to updose, please do yourself a favour and continue to take that dose for at least 6 weeks from today until your symptoms have stabilized and there are no wild swings.

Even though you've only been on citalopram since April 2016, your CNS (central nervous system) has made changes to deal with the effects of the drug. In these situations, we suggest that people taper by making dose cuts of 10% or less no more often than once every 4 weeks.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?
Tips for tapering off Celexa (citalopram)

10% dose cuts are done from the current dose to calculate the next dose. Here are the next 3 doses from 10 mg:

9.0 mg = 10 mg - 1 mg

8.1 mg = 9 mg - 0.9 mg

7.3 mg = 8.1 mg - 0.8 mg

... and from 12.5 mg

11.25 mg = 12.5 mg - 1.25 mg

10.1 mg = 11.25 - 1.1 mg

9.1 mg = 10.1 - 1.0 mg

To make those non-standard doses, people use a variety of techniques. You'll find links to those in the first post of the topic about Celexa(citalopram)

This is YOUR introduction topic -- the place for you to ask questions, record symptoms, share your progress, and connect with other members of the SA community. Have a look at the topics linked above. If you have questions about your situation, please post them here so that all your information stays in one place.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Thanks for the reply scallywag.

I think I'm going to try 12 mg citalopram to see if that helps take the edge off. Its been a month at 10 though so I'm scared it will just be worse. But my main symptom of having a brain that never registers satiety is maddening; it feels like I'm starving all the time no matter how much I eat. Unbearable actually.

God I wish I never went on this crap, I don't foresee ever being normal again. Not being able to have any remnant of a life for likely the rest of college is a kick in the balls.

RowingHippy.  Now that you have made that choice , please stay at that dose. Give it some time. Upping & downing will only destabilize.

You will be normal again. It's just hard to see when you're in the midst of it !  Stay stable and you should be fine.

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

RowingHippy.  Now that you have made that choice , please stay at that dose. Give it some time. Upping & downing will only destabilize.

You will be normal again. It's just hard to see when you're in the midst of it !  Stay stable and you should be fine.

Ali

I second that good advice.

1)Zoloft- 6/99 to 8/04 2)Escitalopram- 8/04 to 8/10 3)Citalopram 8/10 to 4/14 (C/T), 4)Paxil a week or so, 5)Wellbutrin a week or so, 6)Reinstated Citalopram- 9/14 to 7/15

Before Taper- Celexa/20 mg....Taper Start- 04/21/15- 15mg....05/26/15- 10 mg...06/22/15- 5 mg...07/18/15- 0mg. http://tinyurl.com/qjfoqe9 Ativan/Lorazepam use/taper 10/14 to 2/15- http://tinyurl.com/ljebp84

Baclofen- Intermittent use of from 2008 till 2014. Some use of Promethazine. Some use of Zofran. Clobetasol Propionate- for Lichen Planus. Some Flexeril use. 

Ativan- GABA,A receptor Agonist., Baclofen- GABA,B receptor Agonist., Celexa/Lexapro- Serotonin 5-HT1A Receptor Agonist., Zofran- Serotonin 5-HT3 Receptor Agonist..Promethazine- Histamine H1-Receptor Antagonist. Flexeril- Serotonin 5HT2a Antagonist.

My self imposed Amino Acid Therapy: Tyrosine 500mg 1xday, Theanine 200 mg 1xday, & Taurine 500 mg 2x day. (All neurotransitter pre-cursors)- seems to have helped me immensely. And of course- eating healthy, including Black Beans for the oligosaccharides for gut health.

The attempt to develop a sense of humor and to see things in a humorous light is some kind of trick learned while mastering the Art of Living. - Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the depressing post but I really need some help.

I'm currently at 12 mg of citalopram. Was at 20 mg for a few months, and was never stable (side effects were awful). Arguably feel worse now; can't eat, sleep, or function right (and they all impede each other). Many days I'm in so much physical pain I wish I'd die.

I'm in hell everyday, and it's not getting better. I honestly am beginning to believe I'll never feel normal on this drug (was never normal on 20mg, why would I be normal ever during this taper?), so the prospect of waiting to stabilize for the next dose drop seems intangible.

As a junior in college, it's a) tough to keep grades up b ) even tougher to take care of myself c) nearly impossible to have a social life (ended things with my gf because of this, cut back on friends because I can't keep up with them all) d) completely impossible to exercise at all when I constantly feel so sick.

I could drop out for however long I need, although given my bad record with this drug and people's success story timelines, I don't expect to feel good for years. Plus all the people I care about would be moving on.

Guess I'm struggling to find a reason to keep going. Yeah, I'll feel normal "some day", but the idea of my life halting for these next few years is the most depressing and hopeless thing. Doesn't help inspire me to wake up each day when, no matter how hard I try to do the right self care, I feel like complete crap.

Ending it all is really appealing honestly. Not because I lack support or are depressed in that sense, but because I can't foresee this ending/not sure I really want to keep suffering (it's been 9 months of anorexia recovery/SSRI crap, and 9 months of physical hell; getting worse it seems).

If anyone can relate it's you all.

Been through so much testing to find something, but docs keep coming up empty. So I fear this is all SSRI related, which means this will take years to resolve. All while my life is a shell of what it was.

• Administrator

I am sorry you're going through this, rowinghippy.

As you know, there are no easy answers. Very few doctors know anything about withdrawal or treating adverse effects of these drugs.

If you are ill and unable to keep up at college, perhaps you should consider taking a medical leave for a while.

What is your daily symptom pattern? Please keep notes on paper about your symptoms, drugs, when you take them, and their dosages.

Logically, your choices are:

- Increase dosage

- Stay the same

- Decrease dosage

- Quit

- Add another drug

As this is an online forum, we cannot deal with emergencies in any timely way. Please contact your local suicide hotline if you feel you are in crisis.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey RowingHippy - 

How have you been going since updosing to 12 mg?

Has that helped withdrawal symptoms somewhat? 

It won't "cure" them or make them go away entirely, but we're hoping that they help enough for you to take a breath, get your feet under you, and stabilize for a few months.

Once you've stabilized, hold for about 3 months.  Then you can then taper as slowly as you like; slow tapers put you in the driver's seat - you control the speed and direction of your taper, and can take breaks depending on life stressors. 

Once you get to a lower level (maybe around 5 mg in your case) you will find that your brain comes back online, and you begin to take more of an interest in this miraculous thing called life.  It does get better, and the slow taper keeps you in charge.

As for your signature, "5 months of hell and counting" = stop counting.  You are still young.  I had a cat that lived 17 years.  I was drugged the whole time.  There are people here who have lost decades.  Count your blessings, not your months.

Please find some Non Drug Techniques for Coping with Emotional Symptoms that help you to survive the hard parts (I won't lie to you:  there will be hard parts, and if you think this is bad - remember - with these drugs, it can always get worse!).  Let us know what non-drug techniques are working for you, or if they don't work, why they didn't (we might have helpful suggestions, as all of us are different, and sitting on a cushion chanting "Om" isn't for everyone!)

I hope you see the sun today.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• Moderator Emeritus

PS - Been thinking about your supplement:

Took a supp called Serosyn with 5HTP, L-theanine, and B vitamins. 

Each of these can have consequences in withdrawal, individually.  Together, they might be causing some of your problems, and the synergy of the combined herbs could wreak havoc.

Each tablet has 100 mg 5HtP which is very activating, see:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9933-5-htp-5-hydroxytryptophan-and-l-tryptophan/

See also http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1032-l-theanine-for-anxiety-insomnia/ - some people have had good effect from l-theanine.  I prefer to take mine as tea - lemon balm or green tea, instead of at supplement strength.

Even the B vitamins, which are great for mood - can cause reactions:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1068-vitamin-b-complex-supplement-reaction/

Ginseng is also a stimulant, and I don't think we have a specific topic on it, but should be used carefully.  In general, you want to seek out calming, not stimulating substances (that includes coffee, tea, & also alcohol causes some bad reactions, too).  And "detox" is not a good protocol for withdrawal - the point is not to "detox" the drug out of your system, but to allow your brain to rest and heal, and rebuild itself from the changes the drugs have caused.

This is a "kitchen sink" combo which might be helpful for someone who has never taken psych drugs (do you know that person?), but in general, here, we only try one supplement at a time, and taper them in gently, starting at 1/4 or 1/2 dose to make sure there is no reaction.

I hope you see the sun today!

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Thanks for the responses Altostrata and JanCarol.

Almost a month at 12 mg, symptoms overall not quite as bad. Eating is still immensely physically difficult, even though my mind's hunger cues are still constantly telling me to eat (messed up hunger and increasing weight is driving me mad). Sleep is still bad (never ending hunger makes going and staying asleep difficult).

Stopped the Serosyn as I didn't notice any help (made IBS worse I think). Alcohol I found is definitely a bad idea, probably should start more herbal teas and green smoothies or something.

I'm struggling to identify what "stable" actually means, since I never stabilized/felt normal while at 20 mg (given the flux my entire body was in b/c of ED recovery when starting). So while I get the advice to go super slow, I honestly just want to just get off fast as possible, plus I don't believe I'll actually ever "stabilize" while on any dose of citalopram.

Also because this damn med led me to lose my girlfriend, lose a job, lose an internship, lose my collegiate athletic career, lose my life savings on medical bills, and grow away from some friends, I'm having a hard time not being completely demoralized and angry. So much pent up frustration I don't know how to get rid of...

Literally it kills me everyday that whether I taper slow or fast (with heightened withdrawal) it's going to be a long, bad road. I can't help but look at it like that. My therapist has told me for 9 months my body will get better, and I'm pretty tired of hearing it.

Mind hunger slightly down, or at least easier to ignore. Eating has markedly dropped too; I can't really bring myself to eat, partly because of nausea and pain, but more because every bite requires so much mental effort (that feeling when you're full and taking another bite feels counterintuitive and unnatural - that's what every bite is, even if I am genuinely hungry).

Fatigue is up now that I'm eating less, and productivity is also down, as I have to nap more and am more lethargic. If I don't eat, I'm tired, but if I do force myself to eat, it's also tiring.

On a weirder note, my excessive sweating is now much more pronounced on my right side.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi, rowinghippy.

I just posted on your most recent thread here, and I'm concerned about you, as you are mentioning being suicidal. 

I'm hoping you'll do an update here on your Intro thread, in case there's anything that we might be able to help you with. 

Are you still at 12 mg of citalopram? Have you added, subtracted, or changed any supplements? 

If you could write out your drug information and your symptoms, it helps you and us to see your symptoms in context with when you take your drugs. Knowing more about what's going on can help guide you in your taper, as well as finding some non-drug coping skills that may help you feel a bit better. Please see this post on the best way to journal your symptoms:

Keep notes on paper about your drug dosages and daily symptom pattern

You've mentioned having GI issues and I thought you might be interested in a website that one of our members writes. It's got a lot of information and links to even more information about gut health in general, as well as during psychiatric drug withdrawal:

BeyondMeds - Gut Health

Please let us know how you're doing. 

If anyone has insight it'd be greatly appreciated.

I'm caught between continuing adverse effects + withdrawal; adverse effects push faster taper, wd pushes slower taper, hence my problem. Hell on them, hell coming off, and I'm currently doing both. Was going to taper to 11 mg, currently at 12 mg of citalopram, but not sure now. Was never stable on original 20 mg, so its not like I'll ever have a clear signal to cut again.

Currently on a probiotic. My sibo seems at bay for now with that and a pretty strict diet. Good as it'll get for now anyway. Recent timeline:

pre-Aug: weird hunger problems, but not as bad as wd. Nausea terrible

Aug: began taper, no real change until Sept when body crashed

Sept + Oct: bad wave. Main symptom was unending hunger, plus weight gain, and sibo, nausea/dry heaving/vomiting.

Nov: window. Sibo at bay.

End of Nov/now: wave. Muscle pain all over, dr/dr, anhedonia, brain fog. Hunger pangs up but as bad as first wave. Nausea/dry heaving down.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, rowinghippy.

It will help to sort out the adverse effects from the withdrawal symptoms if we could see your symptoms within the context of when you take your drugs / supplements throughout the day.

Please list your drugs  and supplements and also list your symptoms as described in this post:

Keep notes on paper about your drug dosages and daily symptom pattern

I'm glad your SIBO is at bay. That speaks to some stabilization since your October updose from 10 mg to 12 mg.  But you've been dwelling in the dark spaces of suicidal rumination lately, so let's see if there are better ways of coping before you get too exhausted from it all. 

Hi Shep, 

tl;dr (main question): whenever this wave ends (hope soon), should I just go and taper? Hunger/weight gain are the two symptoms hard to distinguish adverse vs wd since problems originated with meds and problems flare with wd. Or is it better to wait through x amount of windows/waves before tapering again? 

--------------------

Here's the past 3 days. At this point I'm always low on energy (not surprising given the hormone/neural distress), so fatigue is extra like when it feels I've been hit by a train.

9:30 wake up - pretty hungry (usually the hungrier I wake up, the more unstable I am)

10:30 eat

11:00 nap - fatigue, muscle pain all over

12:30 wake up - muscle pain all over

1:00 small lunch - brain fog

4:00 snack, brain fog not as bad

6:00 walk for 20 min - worn out feeling, fatigue

6:30 dinner

8:00 lounging - still some muscle pain

12:00 eat

12:30 12 mg citalopram, bed - don't fall asleep until 3:30ish

10:30 wake up - super tired, hungry as usual (since starting the med I always wake up with some amount of hunger, although tapering has made it worse)

11:00 eat

11:30 go to work - feel ok, some minor muscle pain

2:00 eat

4:00 still working, eat again - hunger ramped up

10:00 dinner, legs hurt from standing/working all day - tired, hungry

12:00 eat again, massive headache, still pretty hungry

12:30 12 mg citalopram, bed - asleep by 2:00ish probably

10:00 wake up - hungry as usual

10:45 eat - fatigue

11:30 nap

1:00 wake up, grocery shop - hungry

2:00 eat - early fullness

3:00 chores - hungry

4:00 eat, more chores

6:30 dinner

11:30 12 mg citalopram

Adverse reactions still constantly here: gynecomastia, acne, sweating/body odor, weight gain (worsened by wd), GI problems (worsened by wd)

Anhedonia, dp/dr, neuro emotions all at the worst earlier this week (stress makes them worse it seems). Not as big a problem these past days. Hope it means this wave is short lived. Back to 200 lbs after dip to 190 last month on antibiotics (unfortunately my 10 lb loss was muscle, but gained back fat). 180 pre meds, 190 by taper, 200 after first wave ending in Sept; hope it stays put again, I'd hate to keep gaining. Hunger is and will be messed, but not as bad as it has been before. So long as I eat before bed I can sleep through the night.

Probably the biggest improvement since tapering/wd is I can brush my teeth without dry heaving; nausea, heaving, and vomiting are nearly all gone by now (fingers crossed it stays that way).

I want to encourage you.... keep going.... keep posting... you will get through this.. a window will come

THE LORD IS MY SHEPHERD = NOW only on TRILEPTAL 450mg began w/900mg 7/16 -- off LITHIUM 600mg (sometimes 300mg 5/15 -11/16 took 2 months to taper) .... XANAX 2 mg for 2 weeks but addicted in 6/16 tapered 7/16-9/16 JUMPED 9/30 (believe have kindling from previous benzos)
6 meds nightly for INSOMNIA includes XANAX .. BELSOMRA 20mg c/t 8/20/16 off & on for a yr ZANAFLEX 8 mg /SILENOR 6mg/PROZASIN 15 mg/DOXEPIN 50 mg on all nightly 2 months 6/16 - 7/16 except for silenor (year) wd ALL 8/16-9/16 w/pdoc help
c/t KLONOPIN .5mg which began INSOMNIA end of 3/15 after on for 4 months also horrible sound& light sensitivity sometimes took 2 or 3 reinstated & then c/t@hospital 5/15 on TEMPAZEPAM/SEROQUEL/LITHIUM when left hospital tolerance to temazepam after 1 month given ATIVAN in hospital& later
SEROQUEL started @ 200 mg and overnight to 800 mg had horrible akathasisia & rash DEPAKOTE 1000 mg off after few wks ALL I COULD ENDURE
then AMBIEN side effects & tolerance on for few months 5/15 - 8/15 and then again 2 mos 5/16 LATUDA 3/16 on days BAD/GEODON 4/16 on less 2 weeks BAD AKATHASIA/ZYPREXA bad mouth shaking almost 24/7 off & on few months in 2015 & again in 2016
trazodon/remeron/gabapentin/sonata/lunesta did nothing to help INSOMNIA so got off after few days - also short time SAPHRIS BAD 
MEDICATION SENSITIVE & have paradoxical side effects -- CANNOT TAKE BENZOS, ATYPICAL-ANTIPSYCHOTICS, ANTI-DEPRESSANTS
PAST prior to 2 yrs on Prozac even1/4 pill caused BAD ANXIETY, CELEXA OK, Abilify, Pristiq, Lamictal, Paxil BAD - more but can't remember
  • 2 weeks later...

Guess this thread is more for record keeping at this point. So here goes.

December 1 tapered from 12 to 11 mg. Wave hit me around the first week as expected. Not quite as severe as last time with the bigger drop. But symptoms are a little different. Increased mind hunger is there, but the muscle pains (feels like my muscles are disintegrating; not sure I'm eating enough because of lack of appetite/stomach pain) are horrendous. Fatigue is probably the worst its been too. So tired and sore, no energy to do anything.

Vitamin deficiencies are a little better but low still. Blood sugar problems seem to be gone and no evidence of prediabetes as was a concern. Testing for autoimmune and sibo in the near future.

Still can't believe this is all the drug. Depressing as hell I'm losing touch with friends and things I worked hard to get in my life. But no energy to hold on.

• Administrator

How long do you have these additional symptoms after a decrease? If they last more than a few days, you might want to reduce by a smaller amount, say, 5% rather than 10%.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Well its been a week of a really bad post taper reaction, so I guess 10% was too much. That's depressing..

• 1 month later...

I'm at a loss of when to taper again. I was planning on February 1, because why not. I'd say my withdrawal had been the worst in September (extreme hunger, weight gain, fatigue, and other less significant effects) although it's never been great.

Since tapering, my nausea is nearly gone compared to 20 mg. My acne, sweating, and some other minor side effects from 20 mg are also down (even noticeable improvement from 12 mg). Gynecomastia initially went down from 20 to 12, but as I have been 12/11 mg for a while now its growing again (seems dose and time both affect it).

I know normal advice is to wait to taper until all withdrawal symptoms are gone. However, I don't imagine that will happen for a while. All the while I will gain weight, have worse gynecomastia, and hunger will be rampant (which was a problem at 20 mg, although it is worse since withdrawal). And then, for all I know, the withdrawal could come back anyways the moment I taper again.

As I have a history with an eating disorder, the weight gain and gynecomastia are killing me. Either I hold 11 mg for a while and hope the withdrawal clears before too long (who knows if that would be months or years), hoping that weight stabilizes in the future while gynecomastia grows, or I taper to get off sooner, in hope that gynecomastia decreases but weight may continue to noticeably increase.

Either way, I expect to be severely fat by the end of tapering..

• Moderator Emeritus

rh -- I've moved your post/question to your introduction topic so that all your information, questions and answers are in one place. Please post questions about your situation here in your intro & update thread as a reply.

I guess we weren't clear about when to taper; it's easy to understand how you might have interpreted our suggestion the way you did. The idea is to reduce dose only when your symptoms are stable - a same-day-every-day blah or rotten. You don't want to change dose when your symptoms are swinging wildly within a day or from day to day.

This is where having a written notes of your symptoms over time can be helpful -- you'll have a record outside your memory about what happened.

If your symptoms have been stable for the last month, then try a taper. If you want to be cautious, you could try a "brassmonkey slide."
Example of brassmonkey slide.

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

• 5 weeks later...

Just dropped from 11 mg to 10 mg. By the end of the week I expect to be hit by another wave, if past tapers are indicative.

Holy hell this is difficult.

7 months to get half way off this medication.

• 2 weeks later...

As expected, I've been hit really hard by the taper. Increased edema/swelling. No appetite but terrible hunger, new stretch marks forming. Increased fatigue and mental difficulties. More hot flashes. Rapid weight gain continues, have gained 50 lbs since starting the meds/tapering.

Appears a 10% taper may be too much after all.

Half time student in college right now, although I don't know if I'll finish the semester at this rate. 

I'm starting to wonder if it's worth switching to another ssri and tapering that, in hopes it won't affect me as horribly as citalopram has. Also always wonder if I'd be better off if I had CT'd back in August. Based on the short time I was on pre-taper, the longer I'm on these meds the sicker I get. Course, the faster I get off, the sicker I get.

• Moderator Emeritus

I have those "I wonder what it would be like now if I had _______, back in _______" thoughts. We all do. Sometimes it's fun to contemplate and sometimes it leaves me feeling worse. I try to catch myself before I spend to much time in fantasy-world of positive or negative alternative outcomes. I often have to interrupt myself gently by saying/thinking, "I'll never know how that would have turned out. What can I do now to move in the direction that I think a different choice then would have put me in now?"

You made the best decision you could with the information you had at the time. Trust yourself.

scallywag's Introduction

I suppose that's true. The tough one is that had I never started ssris I'd be fine now, but what can you do.

Had a bunch of follow up testing done given the past year of bad health, this and otherwise.

Cortisol is seemingly normal, even though I had a lot of hypercortisolism symptoms. High triglycerides and high liver tests, likely due to diet and my sedentary lifestyle/beginning of fatty liver respectively. Seeing a dietician next week to try and reign in some of this/normalize my hunger cues as much as I can.

Some vitamins are low. Vitamin D is horribly low, past testing shows that citalopram may be the culprit, as it's gone down since starting, except for a brief period of heavy supplementation. About to restart doing that. 

Thinking back to when I felt "best" in withdrawal, it was during this time of supplementation, so here's hoping I'll start feeling slightly less like garbage once I'm not so malnourished. 

Otherwise, incessant hunger and gut problems continue to be the worst part of all this. Burning skin/pins and needles in the head are also increased, which is unpleasant to say the least.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't plan to check in here that often anymore. But I'll write down all my symptoms in detail in case anyone else suffers from any of these and will find comfort in knowing they're not alone. It may be get buried, but so be it.

It's been a long 8 months of WD, on top of the 3 months of drug time pre-tapering. The shear number of symptoms I have really makes hope hard, I haven't found many people with so many (granted I've listed some of the more benign ones for completeness that others may not care about)

High prolactin -> galactorrhea/gynecomastia: My morning prolactin was 49, believe normal range is <25. The galactorrhea stopped upon reaching 12 mg vs 20 mg of citalopram; the gynecomastia is tied to both dose and duration. While it shrunk upon dropping to 12 mg, it has grown again as my time on the drug has increased

Fatigue: no explanation needed; no energy, general malaise all the time

Messed hunger cues/early fullness/extreme hunger/nausea: stomach capacity is shot, can't eat a lot at once. Appetite is constantly gone, although the hunger signals in my head never shut off. Honestly the worst symptom. Feels like I've been starving for 8 months straight. I can be full, and my mind doesn't register. Blood sugar is pretty normal, thyroid is fine. Guessing it's neuron based or leptin/ghrelin based

Vomiting: triggered randomly by bad smells, taking one bite too many, or crying. Happens 1+ each week. Often burst the blood vessels in my face. Have thrown up blood a few times.

Insomnia: cannot sleep more than 6 hours because aforementioned hunger wakes me up, I kid you not. I eat a meal before bed, for I would only sleep 3-4 hours otherwise. Hell.

Edema: comes on and off for months at a time. Just finished a 2 month bit where my fingers were swollen everyday nearly always (gone for now). Whenever I don't eat enough (or if my brain thinks so), it gets worse.

Digestive problems -> leaky gut, loose BMs, bloating, unable to digest foods: you name it, I have it.  For various reasons I tracked my vitamin D before and after starting the drug. Believe the drug interfered with absorption as D went down as I've been on it (low of 23, should be 50+). B12 is low too. Don't seem to have issues with vitamins/supplements like some others do.

Food intolerances: ​can't eat dairy, gluten/wheat, most fibrous things (oranges, greens, onions, whole grains); they all exacerbate my digestive issues

Weight gain -> blood sugar problems: non stop since on the drug. Slowly gained 10 lbs over 3 months after starting 20 mg, then ballooned once withdrawal/tapering began. Since tapering I have gained 50 lbs, and still climbing. Two dieticians cannot figure this out. Have gone from a fit athlete to a fat couch potato. High blood sugars as expected (not sure which is the chicken or the egg), as well as high triglycerides/fatty liver.

Increased hair growth: ​as an asian male, I've never had much of any hair. Upon withdrawal I began growing chin hair and stomach hair. Not really a huge problem for me, just points to a messed up endocrine system.

Stretch marks/cortisol problems: cortisol levels came back normal, both random blood drawing and 24 hr urine test. Yet my biceps, armpits, butt, and inner/outer thighs all look like they've been carved up. Despite cortisol tests I have a buffalo hump, face/midsection weight gain, wasting of the extremities, etc. that all point to hypercortisolism.

Body odor: since withdrawal my BO is worse. When I wake in the morning my room smells, probably due to minor night sweats

Acne: was at its worst at 20 mg. Face, back (never had even during puberty), and chest. Almost cleared at 10 mg

Hot flashes: comes and goes. Worsened by stress

Cracked lips: again, more of an interesting inconvenience than anything else

PSSD: less drive, intermittent ED

Muscle pain: weakness too. Feels like my muscles are disintegrating at times

Pins and needles/burning skin: feels like my brain is on fire. Hard to describe, as it's so unlike anything else I've dealt with. Feels similar with my skin, like the underside of it is tingling and on fire. Really awful

Depression -> lack of motivation, suicidal ideation: depression is a side effect of the reduced, painful life I now live. No motivation to do much anymore. SI began a month into taking the drugs, has never left. WD is really testing it, unfortunately

The following are at the moment of writing dormant, let's hope it stays that way:

Heartburn: was a problem at 20 mg, cleared by now

Dry heaving: at 20 mg I would retch constantly all day. Cleared by 12 mg

Anhedonia: part of acute withdrawal. Would sit and stare on my couch unable to do anything

Derealization: part of acute withdrawal. Felt like I was looking at life through a glass

Wired feeling: can only explain it as anxiety without the racing thoughts. I'd be calm and sitting around but felt like adrenalin was pumping through me. Really awful

Extreme thirst: no matter how much I drank, I'd have dry mouth and was never satisfied. Was a side effect of medication I took two separate times (xifaxan for sibo, which debatably worked at best)

Flu-like symptoms: acute withdrawal, the infamous "Paxil flu". Would come and go for a few hours at a time.

Increased sweating: mostly cleared at 10 mg. At 20 mg I sweated a lot, especially armpits. At 12 mg only my right side sweat extra, now at 10 mg it seems nearly normal

Concentration problems: felt think in the head, confused easily. 

Headaches: uncommon, but awful when they come. Typical full brain headache

Neuro-emotions: classic spirals, catastrophic thinking, anxiety, sadness/crying, anger, etc. All extreme. Would come on randomly. Still have these issues, just not randomly (intensity is still a problem though)

• Administrator

Are you still taking 10mg?

I see you started having similar adverse effects from citalopram within about a month after you started it. I wonder if you don't have a sensitivity to it, and that's a problem as long as you're taking it.

I have no idea if switching to another drug (probably Prozac) would be successful. Switching can be tricky and you're in a fragile state.

It does sound like your endocrine system has been dysregulated. Have you seen an endocrinologist?

Still on 10 mg. Yes, the original adverse effects will likely be a problem for the remainder of the taper, although as some have improved, hopefully the rest will too. Unfortunately the WD effects seem to be different flavors of the original problems.

I debated early on in my taper, after I crashed. It was an impossible decision then, and still is now. I don't know if it'd be worse, if my problems would change/get better, or if I'd only add to my already huge list.

I saw an endocrinologist as the initial adverse effects (gynecomastia/galactorrhea) came on. She didn't think the drug could cause it, told me to wait it out and was generally dismissive. Haven't been back, as there's nothing she can do anyways, especially since my blood work comes back "normal".

I really don't know what to do at this point.

Hey rowinghippy

I was reading your posts here. i had messaged you a couple months back asking what med your friend had used to treat their SIBO. This may sound crazy, but have you ever looked into possible intestinal parasite infestation as a cause of your messed up hunger issues. the last six months I started getting a distended belly and became bloated and constipated and always felt full. before that, since my wd in 2014, I had had a constant gnawing in my belly. I had to cram myself full of food pretty consistently throughout the day. on days that I didn't sleep during this wd, I was eating full sized meals every 2 hours. I kept packing on the weight and was suffering from extreme fatigue and anemia besides.

Anyways, i developed awful fecal breath from drinking beer 6 months back and that got me to doing online searches. parasite infestation was one of the possible reasons for poop breath. I picked up wormwood capsules on amazon (wormwood is a natural anti-parasite herb) and i took 2 one evening last week and i ended up passing a bunch of two inch long worms and tons of rice shaped larvae within four hours of taking the pills. i have been going poo so much the past week, that i have lost close to 7 lbs weight, obviously most of that was in my belly. It has cleared up a lot of my IBS symptoms as well. i no longer have sneezing fits after eating big meals and i don't almost fall asleep as soon as i finish eating either. i had burning bowel movements every time i ate wheat or drank beer and those are gone now as well. My appetite is back to normal and my stomach is working close to how it did before. Hopefully, this message hasn't been too gross, but deworming myself has helped quite a bit. could be something to look into.

poetjester

Court committed to take Prozac, Paxci, and Respiradol from 8/95 to 3/96.   developed severe akithisia and brain damage.  Was unable to speak and walking in circles 15 hours a day.  Went in for 5 sessions of ECT during a 10 day period in March of '96 and my forced medication was discontinued at that time.  My akithisia and brain damage cleared up within a few days of stopping the meds.

On Zoloft (200 mg) and Zyprexa (17.5 mg) March 1998- Feb 2014

In between was placed on Effexor 200 mg and Abilify for six months in 2004.  Developed mild akithisia which went away once I stopped the Abilify.  Developed severe GI issues in Dec 2001 and from that time on suffered from fatigue and hypersomnia where I would sleep between 12 and 20 hours a day and rarely ever left my apartment. 

Had tapered to 100 mg of Zoloft and 7.5 mg of Zyprexa at the time of going cold turkey Feb. 2014

Went 5 days without sleep at the beginning while vomiting all over my apt.  Had brain zaps for a number of weeks and also lightheadedness which both eventually went away.  However 2 1/2 yrs later I still struggle with insomnia, depression, and fatigue.

• Moderator Emeritus

PoetJester -- that's a great suggestion for rowinghippy to investigate. I'm sorry you learned about it the hard way.

scallywag's Introduction

Hi Poetjester,

Thanks for the insight. Given my two different stool tests, blood work, and lack of things like foul breath, I doubt it's parasites, although I'll consider trying the wormwood (and maybe black walnut/clove too after my reading up on the subject). Appreciate your time and glad you were able to figure that out.

At this point I might as well try switching to another med. Alto, is there a reason you suggest prozac?

I posted in my intro thread too, but thought this may help get more insight.

I was on 20 mg citalopram for 3 months before the side effects were too much to handle. I started tapering in August and have been in hell since then, currently at 10 mg.

I'm wondering if switching to another med that is equivalent to 10 mg of citalopram would help. I think I may ask the psych I saw last time (he didn't put me on the meds, but was sympathetic and acknowledged withdrawal).

Has anyone done this or have you come across people on here that have? Did it work?

I know there are no quick fixes, but given my symptoms I really need some relief..(symptoms: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/13013-rowinghippy-citalopram-has-been-terrible-need-advice/?p=278690)

Essentially citalopram was an awful choice for me and my body. I'm curious if switching could make it worse..

Edit: linking isn't working right, the link above is to post 27 and I meant post 28. Main symptoms are weight gain, stomach pain (GI trouble in general), and extreme hunger

• Administrator

Prozac (fluoxetine) is often used as a "bridge" off drugs that prove too difficult to taper. Please see The Prozac switch or "bridging" with Prozac

People who are taking Lexapro (escilatopram) may find Celexa (citalopram) to be milder, easy to tolerate, and easier to taper.

HOWEVER, switching from one drug to another risks a bad reaction because your particular nervous system may not recognize the second drug as a substitute for the first drug, and go into withdrawal anyway.

In that post you also say that if withdrawal is already underway, that switching won't help?