SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Shanti: tapering off Paxil

Shanti

LINK benzo-addiction-shanti

I was put on Cymbalta and Xanax for a year. I experienced severe withdrawals from Cymbalta during an emergency surgery and hospitalization as I couldn't take anything outside of the IV. That was my first taste of severe withdrawal symptoms. At the time, I called that the worst experience of my life... but I hadn't been through the Paxil W/Ds yet and that would certainly change my view.

The next winter I was switched from Cymbalta to Paxil because I was having hallucinations in the form of voices and closed eye hallucinations. I was diagnosed with Psychotic Depression and put on anti-psychotics and Paxil.

Only 5 months later did I start to "poop out" on the Paxil and started having such severe brain zaps, twitches and jerks that I had a brain EEG to see if I was having seizures. The EEG came back normal. I didn't realize at the time that it was the Paxil.

I went through many anti-psychotics and eventually refused to try any more because they had horrible side effects. I've successfully treated the psychotic depression with Homeopathy.The homeopathy has eliminated the hallucinations. I am very grateful that Homeopathy is working so well for me.

Since I 'pooped-out' on Paxil, I decided to try to taper off of it. I didn't know what I was doing and I did it too fast and experienced the worst hell of my life. The most horrific being the suicidal feelings, akathisia and dysphoria. I upped my dose to get relief, then researched how to do this right.

I am now down from 40 mg to 17.5.

The last couple of years have been a blur to me, with serious illness along with the mental issues. I'm not quite sure about the dates I put on my signature. lol. But well, I guess it's close enough.

I look forward to spending some time browsing the topics and hope I have something to contribute. I'm glad to be here and meet you all.

Edited by ChessieCat
link

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shanti

• Altostrata

• Barbarannamated

• Skyler

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to SA, Shanti. Glad you found this site. You've gone through so much... glad you made your way down to 17.5 of Paxil! How are you feeling? I hope you have been withdrawing slowly. I think that is key to getting off these meds successfully.

Charter Member 2011

Thank you Summer. I'm happy to meet you.

I did taper too fast from 40mg to 20mg, but I did level out and treated my symptoms pretty good with Homeopathy so I just stuck with the 20 mg for about 4 weeks. I just now tapered to 17.5. I wasn't able to get liquid Paxil so I am using 10 mg pills. Not so easy to cut them down. I'm going to do 17.5 - 15 - 12.5 - 10 and so on. I was only on Paxil for 5 months so maybe it'll be okay. If I have trouble I'll talk to my doctor about ordering liquid. I'll see how it goes.

My mom is a Gendai Ki Reiki Ho Master and is giving me daily treatments and it's a big help. Maybe it's all these things that helping me with my symptoms.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

I must say I really like this forum. The energy here feels good :)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Glad you found your way here too, Shanti. :) I didn't agree with your banning at the "other" site but that seems to be a trend these days. What homeopathic remedy would you say has helped you the most with the jerks and twitches? These are one of my biggest problems. I also had an EEG which of course came out normal.

a.k.a JMarie

Paxil since Mar.1998

2006-2007:40-20mg
2009: 20mg to 14mg 2010: 14mg to 10.5mg 2011: 10.5 to 7.6mg  2012: 7.5 to 6.8mg

2013: 6.7-6.3mg 2014: 6.2mg-5.8mg 2015: 5.7 to 5.15mg 2016: 5.1-4.6mg

1/19/17: 4.5mg 3/17/17: 4.4mg

6/15/17: 4.35mg 8/10/17: 4.3mg

1/29/18: 4.1mg 5/07/18: 4.0mg

7/31/18: 3.9mg

• Administrator

Welcome, Shanti. What a difficult journey!

Thanks for your contributions. I like what you've put in Finding Meaning.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hmm... I already replied here but the post is gone :unsure:

Ladybug, Agaricus Muscarius 30C is good for jerks as well as feeling clumsy, off balance, shaky, feeling out of body and uncontained, and twitching.

Thank you Alto :)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Hi Shanti!

You will get plenty of support here!

Dec 2004 - Put on Zoloft after having a panic attack from the Birth Control Ortho Evra Patch (the doctors thought I was completely insane when I told them I think the Birth Control Patch is giving me anxiety/panic. Funny how they tell you NOW that Birth Control can indeed cause anxiety) Started at 25mg, increased to 50 mg and 100 mg in 2007. They made me too sleepy so decreased back to 50mg until 2009. Reduced to 25 mg in 2010.

Oct 2010 - Decided to come off Zoloft to try and have children. Didn't know anything about tapering because apparently, my doctor didn't know about it either. WDs included heart palpitations, dizziness, tinnitus etc. Decided to go back on Zoloft within 2 weeks of stopping.

January 2011 - Knowing a little more about tapering, I decided to stop taking taking Zoloft with my doctors help again. She told me to hurry and taper in 4 weeks because the tinnitus could become permanent. I thought this was too fast so I took another month to taper.

March 30, 2011 - Last Zoloft pill.

Had a little dizziness & sadness, but felt fine until Aug 2011 after a relative died.

Since then symptoms include brain shivers, migraine headaches on right side of head, warm/hot sensations on right side of head and ears, internal vibrations, tremor, muscle twitches, strange sensations in right side of head, anxiety, nervousness, sadness, disconnected, depersonalization, numbness on left side of body at times, neck pain, muscle/rib cage pains,  just don't feel like myself :(

Shanti,

Can you explain how the homeopathy works to stop hallucinations?

My thinking on hallucinations has evolved in recent years and i don't see it is as black and white as I used to.

Of course, I realize there are dangerous cases that require intervention.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Administrator

Hey, folks, please move discussion of symptoms and remedies to the Symptoms and what helps forum. Thank you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I feel the same way Shanti. I just joined yesterday and am so jazzed that this forum exists.

xxxx

I feel the same way Shanti. I just joined yesterday and am so jazzed that this forum exists.

Hi Crocus. Welcome to the forum. Yeah it's better than others ones I've been to. People are friendly here and very helpful. Not that other forums weren't helpful. I just like the vibe :)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Since this is my "About Me" topic. I want to share what other tool I use to get through this aside from Homeopathy. (Link to the topic)

The harshest and most brutal symptom for me was the negative thoughts I felt about myself and the world. Someone asked about this on another forum and I'll post my response, because it is the tool I use to help:

"Is it a withdrawal symptom to have negative thoughts about yourself?"

Yes, very negative thoughts that my very existence is stupid and worthless. "Why am I even here? Life is ridiculous!" --- those kinds of thoughts creep up and tear at your soul and make you detached from reality and ungrounded, scared and alone to your core.

It is important for me to do mantras and repeat often in my mind rosaries and I AM affirmations to keep grounded and centered in positivity. I repeat them out loud as much as I can and they will echo all day in my mind like a recording. I stay tuned to that, repeating them. I am also focusing on angels and spiritual beings, visualizing them around me helping me with love.

I believe that this is the worst of the withdrawal symptoms. It is the most sinister because it's like an attack to your spirit. When I first experienced this feeling I was curled up in a ball crying "God help me". No one can understand this feeling unless they've been through it; it is indescribable. I took more Paxil at that time and realized; this requires serious strategy to get through before I dive in. I have to remind myself that this feeling is a veil, it is not how real life is. It's a false image imposed over my mind to make me feel my life is worthless. I have a purpose for being here. When I am in a good mind I post how I succeeded so that others can get out of this trap. I can write all over the internet warnings about SSRI withdrawal to help souls come out of it. That is a purpose.

You are a unique, special person with reason for being and a reason for going through this. Affirm it often even if you don't believe it, say it. "Fake it til you make it". This is a process that we will get through and be on the other side in real life where life isn't scary. It's there and we'll get there.

I pray a lot every day. It’s proving to be just as helpful as the Homeopathy:

Prayer is one of my most important tools in this process for me, even though I am not religious. This is a spiritual crisis. It doesn't matter what religion a person is in, cling fervently to the divine. Prayer is powerful but may feel ineffective at first. It must be repeated like mantras to make a vortex through the astral to allow Light in. It can be hymns, mantras, affirmations, or prayers.

In Step two of the 12 Steps of recovery, you're asked to "Come to Believe that a Power Greater than Yourself Could Restore You to Sanity." What 12-Steppers tell you in the beginning is that you can choose your own concept of what that Higher Power is, as long as you choose something. I feel that in this withdrawal progress, that is a very helpful step."

My Paxil Website

My Intro

"I believe that somewhere in the darkest night, a candle glows"

This is a video I made of the most beautiful song about Hope.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=--kFoEWoFK0

Here's a link to my website of quotes from people that have successfully tapered off of Anti-depressants: Success

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Shanti, I took a quick look at your site and it is really impressive! I played with the thought to erect a similar site some time ago but did not feel ready for it and still think that I have not much to add to the excellent support of SA.

Glad that you realized what was wrong after your first c/t attempt, for me the dime did not fall after being in horrific w/d for more than one year after my 5th c/t attempt or so... I still cannot grab why it took so long for me to discover the truth. MAybe I was just too far gone already, besides I had little time and energy to investigate because of my demanding job (which I have lost now due to w/d) and besides I did not get any support from family who are completely on the site of psychiatry and the medical community and only urged my to take my pills again and visit a psychiatrist for medicine advice...

NEvertheless, I still hope to get something positive from this and once write my own succes story on your site and/or on SA. Now 4 years after my last dose I feel I am recovering though there is still a way to go.

I tried homeopathy too, used Bach blossoms and some vitamins presccribed by a holistic healer but it appeared not to be effectove for me, the damage qwas just too severe. But I did and still do benefit from massage therapy and I am doing acupunture right now and still feel emotions being released. Different people will benefit from different thing but you state clearly that therapy always must work together with your body and not aganst it or by suppressing parts of your body and mind.

Wish you much more healing and one day we will be victorous! Keep up the good work!

10 mg Paxil/Seroxat since 2002
several attempts to quit since 2004
Quit c/t again Oktober 2007, in protracted w/d since then
after 3.5 years slight improvement but still on the road

after 6 years pretty much recovered but still some nasty residual sypmtons
after 8.5 years working again on a 90% base and basically functioning normally again!

Hi Claudius. I'm glad you liked my site, and thank you!

I'm in a position that I don't have to work right now and so I had a lot of time to research. Researching online is something I do about everything, so I was pretty quick to look up my symptoms and find some answers. I built the website to put in one place all the stuff I've learned from here and there, to make it easier for those that don't have time like I did.

It is unfortunate that Homeopathy doesn't work for everyone. I do encourage people on my site not to give up on Homeopathy, as sometimes it takes trial and error. If there was only one remedy that I could take and that's all, I would take the Stramonium. It's the one that heals the worst symptom to me, and that's extreme anxiety, fear and depression. I did feel suicidal. I can say this,, if I didn't have children I probably would have done myself in. It's just an awful, sinister drug!

I did three things at once to remedy this. Homeopathy, Prayer, and Reiki. Since I did all three at once, I can't say for sure which is working the best. I am able to say though, that the Stramonium is doing it's job because I do feel the calm wash over me within minutes of taking it. The prayers I repeat 9 times or more. On the spiritual level, the prayers have to go through a heavy sludge of astral energy. It's hard to explain, but the Astral is where the thoughtforms and emotions reside. I feel that this drug pulls us into the lower depths of the astral, meaning that our minds start to vibrate so slow that the emotions are denser, as are our words. So prayer takes more of an effort to feel the Grace and Light. I'm not religious. I believe in all religions to some extent. I'm just very spiritual and after spending one full day of reciting rosaries, mantras and affirmations, I started to feel the Love of Spirit lift me out of the pit. Now to keep it up, I spend 1/2 hour to an hour a day reciting them. It helps so much to believe in angels. You can pray directly to angels or to Jesus, your God, Shiva... it doesn't matter. I believe they are all the Hosts of Heaven.

Thank you for coming by and posting to me! I wish you the best.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

I'm starting to feel the effects of the drop to 17.5. A new sound in my head woke me up last night. It was weird, like sheeeeeeoingggg. I could tell it was on my right side of my head. I was laying on my right side too. I opened my eyes and everything was black and I had a little panic attack that it made me blind. But then I rolled over and saw the light from my clock and realized it was the middle of the night, not morning.

I might have to look into other remedies. I'll try upping my doses of the homeopathy remedies I have but idk. We'll see if I have to find new ones. I hope not.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Administrator

I hate to say this, Shanti, but you might have to slow down your taper. That sounds like a giant head zap with big neurological effects.

I hate to say this, Shanti, but you might have to slow down your taper. That sounds like a giant head zap with big neurological effects.

Yeah, I know you're right. It just seems so crazy that I was only on Paxil for 5 months and I'm going through this. I was hoping to be done with the w/d in time for me to go back to work. It can wait though. I hate being a burden to my family. But then I am so grateful I have their support and am able to stay home while I do this. I feel like I look like a dead beat to my kids. They're 18, and 20. I feel like I'm setting a bad example. But at least I am drilling home the effects of drugs and they get to see it first hand. Just such a drag.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Okay, I took a tad bit more. I'm not real sure what I'm taking. I just cut down a 10 mg pill 3 times and added that. I'm guessing that makes it like 18 and a quarter. Idk lol. I wish my doc would get back to me on the liquid. I've asked her three times.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Administrator

It sounds like you're so sensitive, you'll need the liquid.

Is it your GP? Is she resisting your getting off Paxil? If so, you might ask another doctor to write the prescription for you. Any MD can do it.

It sounds like you're so sensitive, you'll need the liquid.

Is it your GP? Is she resisting your getting off Paxil? If so, you might ask another doctor to write the prescription for you. Any MD can do it.

I just called and left her a message that I'm having trouble and need to go slower so I need the liquid. Maybe a fourth try will do it. Yes, she's my GP and she doesn't want me off Paxil. She diagnosed me with Schizophrenia and doesn't like that I'm not on anti-psychotics. She said I "at least" need the Paxil. She said "you have this condition, you can't be on nothing". Nevermind that the psychologist said I don't have schizophrenia, I have Psychotic Depression. She disagrees with him as I only saw him once for 15 minutes. There's a big difference in that Schizophrenics believe their hallucinations are real. I'm quite aware that they aren't real.

I'll go to a walk in clinic if she doesn't respond. I love my doctor despite all this because her persistence and assertiveness saved my life. She really fought for me in the hospital. So I do have a bit of an attachment to her. She just doesn't understand, but I will definitely make this all clear to her about the horrors of Paxil withdrawal.

I am feeling better after taking that itty bitty piece of Paxil. It's amazing how such a small amount is so powerful.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

It's funny that I'm trying to understand and explain quantum physics while I'm going through withdrawals lol. I think I need to give myself a break.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

This is good to know. I just talked to my Pharmacist and he said that he doesn't need my Doctor's approval to switch to liquid. He's ordering it for me now. Just so others know, if their Doctors aren't cooperating they can just go to the Pharmacist. And right after I got off the phone my doctors assistant called and said the doctor wants me on the pills. I would have to go down there and explain to her why I want liquid! So I just said forget it, the Pharmacist is helping me.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

LOL!! I understand! Maybe Rod Sterling can help?!

It's funny that I'm trying to understand and explain quantum physics while I'm going through withdrawals lol.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Administrator

I would never, ever take seriously a GP diagnosing schizophrenia or any serious mental disorder. I would take a diagnosis of psychotic depression from a therapist with a grain of salt as well.

Furthermore, antidepressants are not recommended for treatment of schizophrenia, so why is she resisting your getting off Paxil?

Personally, I think you need a new doctor.

If you are functional, a psychiatric diagnosis is meaningless. There's a movement now that calls hearing voices or having hallucinations "neurological variability," rejecting the label of mental illness for a wide swath of people with various symptoms.

I would never, ever take seriously a GP diagnosing schizophrenia or any serious mental disorder. I would take a diagnosis of psychotic depression from a therapist with a grain of salt as well.

Furthermore, antidepressants are not recommended for treatment of schizophrenia, so why is she resisting your getting off Paxil?

Personally, I think you need a new doctor.

If you are functional, a psychiatric diagnosis is meaningless. There's a movement now that calls hearing voices or having hallucinations "neurological variability," rejecting the label of mental illness for a wide swath of people with various symptoms.

I agree, and yes I am functional. There was a time that I was pretty messed up and felt like I was losing my mind though. I treated myself spiritually and naturally. I think she wanted me on Paxil because she also diagnosed me with GAD, Depression, Agoraphobia and Fibromyalgia. If I took everything she has prescribed me I'd be on 20 meds at once! She is a drug pusher. I think I do need a new doc.

That's very interesting about "neurological variablity". I'm going to research that. Thank you. My hallucinations, both sound and vision, are pretty mild. I can really cope with it and know it for what it is.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

I really like reading this website! Thanks. Sometimes the voices offer me a different perspective on things that I didn't think of consciously. I'm not certain of what they are. I've thought they were ghost, my own ego, guides, whatever. When I was in a bad, abusive situation, the voices were scary. But when I freed myself and raised up my spirit, the voices changed. They don't stroke my ego, and they don't tell me bad things like "kill yourself". It's just like having a little help to look at something different. I don't trust them to be true, but sometimes it's really helped. Hard to explain.

I did about 7 years of working hard with meditation and techniques to take control over my mind. I've come very far. That's another reason I wonder why I let myself get into this trap. It's like I put myself up high on the mountain then I took a dive off a cliff. Oh well. I still believe that this experience will eventually make me a better person.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Frustrated a bit. I feel like I'm stuck at level 20. This is the 4th time I tried to go below 20 mg and gave up and went back to 20. Yesterday I tried to take a nap and I really think I had a convulsion. Only thing is that I remember it, so it's probably not an actual convulsion. I'm scared to go to sleep now without taking half a Xanax. It does keep me from doing that. But now I'm really afraid I'm going to get into Benzo trouble.

I'm going to see about trying a different remedy for the jerks. Maybe this one isn't cutting it anymore.

I just ordered some Nux Vomica 100C to try for the jerks. Gotta remember sometime Homeopathy is trial and error. Kinda sux though having to buy something that doesn't work. But I do find that the remedies are good for many things, like headaches or hip pain, so they will still have their uses. Just have to look them up to see what else they're good for.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Administrator

Did you go back up to 20mg? Did that help?

Yeah, I went back to 20. Again. It helps. I'll wait til I get the liquid or some scales to get precise and go with smaller drops.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

I'm doing well with every other aspect. I'm having decent mood and calmness, no harsh dreams with the other remedies. It's just these crazy jerks and convulsions. I just think I'm very sensitive in that regard. I started having jerks from the Paxil before I even started to taper. Hopefully the Nux Vomita will help. I pray!

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Administrator

Okay, you might want to stay at 20mg for a bit to see if your symptoms stabilize.

Another route to very gradual tapering is to get a digital jeweler's scale that will measure milligrams and smaller. They are not expensive, maybe $20-$30.

Or, getting a solution made up by a compounding pharmacy might be less expensive than buying the liquid. But you might need a prescription for that.

Here are instructions for making your own liquid with water. Where Gianna Kali says "alcohol," she means ethanol or grain alcohol, not rubbing alcohol: http://bipolarblast.wordpress.com/2008/05/14/water-titration-for-slow-and-controlled-psychiatric-drug-withdrawal/ I don't believe you need the mixer, and if you measure with an oral syringe, you don't need the beaker, either.

The big question is how long a homemade solution will be stable, without losing potency.

I'll flesh out a Tapering topic for Paxil with more complete information.

Great. I'm still having surprises. Now I'm suddenly vibrating from the knees to the toes. It's weird. Like a trembling but faster and subtler. It's constant. Anyone have this?

My Paxil Website

My Intro