SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Fall into winter: a time of contraction https://goo.gl/jb33Sp

GiaK

first posted on Beyond Meds.

I’m getting emails from people who are concerned because things seem a little harder all of a sudden. This seems to be the case for many of us during this part of the year. I bring it up in various ways every year here on Beyond Meds and as the years go by the pattern becomes more and more clear.

Today I responded to someone who wrote me in part with this paragraph:

“I always have a significant dip in how I feel in the fall and winter too. I am struggling with that as well right now. I can assure you that we do contract with the seasons and that is why it’s often more difficult in the fall. I used to think it was a huge setback but I now see it as a natural rhythm. That doesn’t mean it’s not still difficult. It is.”

It’s worth considering and remembering that this rhythm is natural for everyone, not just those of us affected by difficult psych drug withdrawal.

I’ve shared these comments before as well:

I’m learning that in the fall and winter my body stops detoxing as efficiently (I’ve found out this is true for everyone as far as Chinese medicine and Ayurveda are concerned) … for me, I started noticing years ago huge changes every season with the spring and fall being the most notable shifts that happen. My “histamine” reactions become much bigger (in the fall) and I have to watch what I eat and do more carefully at this time of year. In earlier years I would often become devastated when this started happening because the shift was so pronounced that I thought I’d totally relapsed. Now, given the amount of healing I’ve got under my belt, I know that’s not true. It’s simply the rhythms of the season felt BIG in a still very sensitive body.

the shift into fall is the most marked, but the worst time is in the winter. I’m gearing up to surrender deeply to it with lots of meditation so that I might hear what my body needs to heal. that is how I learn…it’s far easier to do in the spring and summer so this year, knowing what I now know, I intend to submit to the process more deeply in winter.

Since we are part of the natural world it’s normal that we contract and expand…just like nature. I’m cutting and pasting below an old post in which I speak to this from another perspective as well, just so we might all contemplate this natural part of life. Indeed, the post I share below was first written in November of 2014. No surprise to me that it was penned in November when I was struggling with my yearly contraction even though I don’t remember considering that at the time.

Today I’m very grateful for Shinzen Young. I woke with very contracted energy this morning and felt pretty distressed. I thought about how my energy contracts and expands a whole lot. When I thought about that I remembered that Shinzen Young’s youtube channel is called “expandcontract.” So I ventured over to his channel and found this dharma talk which was just exactly what I needed. Yes, guidance leads me to what I need pretty much always now.Guidance is showing me how to heal myself.  

I woke up contracted and did two things. I watched the below video and then I went to ecstatic dance where I moved the contracted energy out of my body with deep mindful movements. I did a lot of stretching in my dance today. The body knows.

It’s possible this talk will resonate with some of you as well. There are four parts to it. The first one doesn’t allow embedding on external sites so you need to click through to youtube to watch all four. They total about 35 minutes.

More Shinzen Young on Beyond Meds:

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy