JJ33: Withdrawing from Abilify

JJ33

I'm sure I'm going to leave something out, but here is my brief history:

1989 saw psychiatrist - took Prozac

1991 - 1995 was on various depression medications, none really helpful

1996 heard about wheat allergy from friend - began eating all natural, using supplements

2003 went to natural clinic - took megadoses of vitamins - set me back, never recovered ability to work full time

2013 read about MTHFR mutation - yup, I've got it.  At least it gave me some hope.

2015 moved home, can no longer cut it in the real world.  Saw Judy Tsafrir - put me on regimen espoused by William Walsh.  Worked!  To some degree at least, no SAD.  Still no energy.

2016 Seeing naturopath to see what I can do about MTFHR, etc.  Things seem to work some days, not others.  Strange.

I'm currently trying to withdraw from Abilify, under supervision.  Thing is I have no medical symptoms, am super-healthy.  Nothing touches the depression/fatigue though.

Also, some days I'll miss taking Abilify and feel really great the next day.  Is this common?

Feel like the meds gave me just barely enough functioning to survive, and only that. 

Am supposed to start Wellbutrin (?) in 4 weeks, and stop Abilify.

Have looked over this site for a long time now, I know I'm decreasing too fast but would love input/would welcome making suggestions.

On and off various medicines since 1989

2009:  Prescribed Lexapro 5mg and Abilify 5mg
2015:  discovered MTHFR snp, went on Walsh protocol, felt better

2016:  down to 2.5mg each of Lexapro and Abilify

2017:  down to .7mg of Abilify, obtained liquid form.

Currently at .4mg of Abilify

Hey JJ33

I was on Zoloft and zyprexa for a number of years and would feel great on days I didn't take the pills.  I would feel more alive and alert.  The next day I would become nauseous and wouldn't be able to sleep, but still felt better in the mind.  It would take me 3-5 of these nauseous, sleepness days in a row to finally wd from the drugs.  I would feel better, but being on the pills for so long seems to deregulate one's sleeping patterns and once you quit the pills, normal sleep is very, very difficult to come by.  I was also on Abilify for 6 months in 2004 and found it gave me mild akithisia- a compulsion to always be moving.

My story sounds familiar to yours.  I have only worked a handful of short part time jobs since 1998, the year I got put on the pills.  I would still suffer from depression and from 2001 onward, fatigue.  From 2006-2014 I rarely had the energy to leave my apt and slept almost all the time.  Like 15 hours a day or so.   I quit the pills altogether in 2014.  I felt a lot better originally and am still thankful to be done with them, but 2+ years of insomnia is wearing me down.

I am not really sure what the best strategy is for getting off of the drugs.  I quit cold turkey, but a lot of the moderators on this site believe in tapering which may be the better route.  I didn't have the internet at the time I quit and didn't know about tapering so I just sort of jumped off.  I wish you the best of luck however you decide to go about getting off these useless drugs.

PoetJester

Court committed to take Prozac, Paxci, and Respiradol from 8/95 to 3/96.   developed severe akithisia and brain damage.  Was unable to speak and walking in circles 15 hours a day.  Went in for 5 sessions of ECT during a 10 day period in March of '96 and my forced medication was discontinued at that time.  My akithisia and brain damage cleared up within a few days of stopping the meds.

On Zoloft (200 mg) and Zyprexa (17.5 mg) March 1998- Feb 2014

In between was placed on Effexor 200 mg and Abilify for six months in 2004.  Developed mild akithisia which went away once I stopped the Abilify.  Developed severe GI issues in Dec 2001 and from that time on suffered from fatigue and hypersomnia where I would sleep between 12 and 20 hours a day and rarely ever left my apartment. 

Had tapered to 100 mg of Zoloft and 7.5 mg of Zyprexa at the time of going cold turkey Feb. 2014

Went 5 days without sleep at the beginning while vomiting all over my apt.  Had brain zaps for a number of weeks and also lightheadedness which both eventually went away.  However 2 1/2 yrs later I still struggle with insomnia, depression, and fatigue.

I'm not the greatest sleeper, sounds like it really hit you hard though.

Appreciate the validation about skipping a day.  Felt more alive and alert as well.

Abilify is one of the few drugs that helped with the fatigue.  I think it's a restless energy though.  Not very healthy.

I am not really sure what the best strategy is for getting off of the drugs.  I quit cold turkey, but a lot of the moderators on this site believe in tapering which may be the better route.  I didn't have the internet at the time I quit and didn't know about tapering so I just sort of jumped off...

I'm not too enthused with reports of the tapering method.  But the alternative sounds worse.

Just want to feel something at this point.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome JJ33,

Here are our guidelines for tapering Abilify.  As with other psych drugs, we recommend reducing by 10% monthly to avoid unnecessary difficulties.  Have you noticed any symptoms while you've been tapering? 

You write that you are supposed to begin taking Wellbutrin.  Is this something you are wanting to do, or is it more of a doctor's recommendation?  I just ran Lexapro and Wellbutrin through the Drugs Checker, and there is a major interaction, so it may not be a great idea.

We only give advice about stopping drugs, so if you are not sure about the wisdom of trying another drug, perhaps you would like to look at some alternatives to managing depression and fatigue.  It is common to find that these improve once a person is free of meds - so once you've tapered Abilify, tapering the Lexapro may help, if you are looking to get drug-free.

And in case you are interested:  Tips for Tapering Lexapro

At this point you have options as you don't seem to be too destabilised yet.  That's a really good place to be in.  Where you go from here will depend on if you want to get drug-free, or if you will continue to look to drugs as the answer.  Take your time, read lots, mull things over.  You can ask plenty of questions here. 

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Karen, thanks.  Am having symptoms-- less able to focus, depression. 

Don't want to take any more drugs.  Am not functioning though so I don't see much choice.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, JJ.

Welcome to the forum from me, too. I'm glad you're here for information and support. 

I'm wondering if tapering the Abilify before tapering the Lexapro is the best way to go. I do understand you're having trouble with fatigue, and antipsychotics can definitely cause this, but coming off a sedating drug before a stimulating drug may cause problems down the road.  Please read over this thread:

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

It's possible to come off these drugs and find alternative non-drug coping skills to handle your symptoms.  You mentioned possibly going on Wellbutrin, another antidepressant, but please consider that after reading this thread:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/343-el-mallakh-2011-tardive-dysphoria-the-role-of-long-term-antidepressant-use-in-inducing-chronic-depression/

It's quite possible that AD's chronify depression. The best way to conquer this is to slowly taper off and give your mind and body time to heal. While you're doing that, you'll have time to learn the best non-drug coping skills to handle your symptoms. And by the time you're off your drugs and have healed, you will be a master at handling symptoms, as well as the day-to-day depression and anxiety that life can cause. But the beauty is in being able to experience the joy that these drugs block out. So it's definitely worth the pain and effort of withdrawal. With a slow taper, you're symptoms will be minimized as much as possible. 

Here are some links to help you understand withdrawal and why we recommend a slow taper:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

What is withdrawal syndrome?

Brain Remodelling

I'm not sure what you mean when you say you're "not functioning". For best results in us being able to give you the right information, it would help if you could track your symptoms as listed in this post:

Keep notes on paper about your drug dosages and daily symptom pattern

Once we have a clear understanding of how each drug is effecting you, the time of day you take them, and the specific symptom pattern, we can help you set up a game plan for your withdrawal.

Sending healing vibes your way. Please let us know how you're doing. 

• Administrator

Welcome, JJ.

Karen, thanks.  Am having symptoms-- less able to focus, depression. 

Don't want to take any more drugs.  Am not functioning though so I don't see much choice.

Abilify is intended to slow people down. Why was it added to the Lexapro?

It could very well be that your fatigue, etc. is a side effect of Abilify, especially since you feel so much better on the days you skip taking it (not recommended).

Your fatigue and "depression" could also be because of your history of going on and off psychiatric drugs. After a while, the nervous system just becomes numb. How do you experience "depression"?

If Abilify was added to Lexapro because you had trouble sleeping, this problem will return if you reduce Abilify. It means you are taking too much Lexapro.

Yes, why Wellbutrin? Wellbutrin tends to be activating, an "accelerator." Sleep problems are a common adverse effect of Wellbutrin.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Abilify is intended to slow people down. Why was it added to the Lexapro?

That's interesting.  I experience it as the opposite, it seemed to help me move better. 

To be honest it was long ago, so I don't remember why it was added.  Probably because Lexapro wasn't doing enough.

Wellbutrin was suggested because of the ADHD that runs in my family and partial success with Ritalin. 

I'm not sure what you mean when you say you're "not functioning". For best results in us being able to give you the right information, it would help if you could track your symptoms as listed in this post...

Might be easiest if I do this.  Can't really explain it very well.

I don't want to take Wellbutrin but am curious if it has the same effect as the ritalin.  

• Administrator

Ah....well, if you are inclined to experiment with psychiatric drugs, we really can't help you here. This is a site for going off drugs.

Whether ADHD runs in families is highly debatable. Ritalin and other amphetamine analogs are widely prescribed and appreciated as legal speed.

Do you have problems sleeping?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

When you have time, JJ, please get a copy of this book either at your local library or from a webstore:

Anatomy of an Epidemic

Robert Whitaker's website is also an excellent source of information:

Mad in America

And a couple of videos that really explain the dangers of these drugs. This is a short 11 minute video of Whitaker giving some background to his book:

And this one is specific to ADHD. I would really encourage you to pay close attention:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gigZD4RIXhg

This is a lot to take in, but it's important information, JJ. These videos and Whitaker's book explain why we work so hard to help people come off these drugs. 

Also, from what you've written, your CNS is incredibly destabilized right now, so adding any new drugs, supplements, etc. most likely will cause problems. This thread explains why:

Limbic Kindling -- Hardwiring the brain for hypersensitivity

While there is no magic pill or formula to help with withdrawal, with a slow and careful taper, along with non-drug coping skills, you can come off these drugs, heal, and go onto have a wonderful life.

Ah....well, if you are inclined to experiment with psychiatric drugs, we really can't help you here. This is a site for going off drugs.

Whether ADHD runs in families is highly debatable. Ritalin and other amphetamine analogs are widely prescribed and appreciated as legal speed.

Understood.  In an ideal world I could wean off these drugs and give natural methods a fair chance.  Of course we don't live in an ideal world.  I'll know more this November.

ADHD is a bit of a loaded topic.  I don't have any interest in Ritalin, just explaining what the rationale was.

No problems sleeping, ordinarily.

When you have time, JJ, please get a copy of this book either at your local library or from a webstore:

Anatomy of an Epidemic

Mad in America

Thanks, these sound right up my alley.  I also really like this one: The Crazy Makers.  Don't know if diet isn't something you're about here.

I edited my post, so to make things clearer I'll put it back here:  I'm not functioning in that I can't work full time, can't really socialize and wake up tireder than when I went to bed.  Could multiple reasons for all these, but I've ruled out everything else so that leaves me thinking drugs are part of the problem.

I can already say I'm seeing dark circles under my eyes despite sleep.  This is new for me, so I'm guessing it's part of the Abilify withdrawal.  Would this weigh in favor of withdrawing from lexapro first?

My husband just started getting dark circles under his eyes. I noticed it the other day because I told him it looked like he had a bruise. Then he said something yesterday about his eyes and how he looked crazy. Now, thinking back on it they have actually been there for a lil while and I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the prozac. He's been getting plenty of sleep and having no problems sleeping so it's not a sleep thing. Is this a normal side effect?

Supporting my husband

-He was prescribed 40mg fluoxetine in May 2016

-He began experiencing mania & other negative side effects in June 

-I did not realize what was happening until August

-Doctor recommended coming off the medication and he did a fast taper (we didn't know any better)

-30 days off the medication was Sept 20 2016

-So far no withdrawal symptoms that he or I have noticed

-Still noticing some changes in his behavior that haven't gone back to "normal" 

• Moderator Emeritus

Understood.  In an ideal world I could wean off these drugs and give natural methods a fair chance.  Of course we don't live in an ideal world.  I'll know more this November.

ADHD is a bit of a loaded topic.  I don't have any interest in Ritalin, just explaining what the rationale was.

No problems sleeping, ordinarily.

Anatomy of an Epidemic

Mad in America

Thanks, these sound right up my alley.  I also really like this one: The Crazy Makers.  Don't know if diet isn't something you're about here.

I edited my post, so to make things clearer I'll put it back here:  I'm not functioning in that I can't work full time, can't really socialize and wake up tireder than when I went to bed.  Could multiple reasons for all these, but I've ruled out everything else so that leaves me thinking drugs are part of the problem.

I can already say I'm seeing dark circles under my eyes despite sleep.  This is new for me, so I'm guessing it's part of the Abilify withdrawal.  Would this weigh in favor of withdrawing from lexapro first?

Hi, JJ.

We'll be able to help you decide which drug to come off first if you could list your symptoms. This is the link I posted earlier, and it will really help to know how each of your drugs is affecting you:

Keep notes on paper about your drug dosages and daily symptom pattern

Knowing the symptoms from each of your drugs will help determine the order of withdrawal. Normally, it would be best to come off the stimulating drugs first and then the sedating ones. The fact that you're sleeping now is great, but if you remove the antipsychotic, that could change.

So here is my symptom pattern, if anyone can make sense of it:

Typical day:

10 am up, despair, feel stiff
11 am tired, hard to move
typical breakfast: paleo or smoothie
12 am coming out of it, start working
1 pm waking up, feeling better
2 pm still upbeat

3 pm still okay
snack: maybe veggies + hummus or smoothie

4 pm okay but losing stream

5 pm exhausted

6 pm tired

7 pm still slowing down
dinner: lots of protein + veggies.

8 pm wiped out
9 pm take medication

10 pm lie down

12 pm fall asleep

If I take a walk or go for a drive I'm generally full of plans and ambitions.  But gathering up the energy to do so is hard.

On the plus side I think I can see one of my abdominal muscles again.  Don't know if it's the Abilify withdrawal or the probiotics.  Still have dark circles under my eyes.

Frustrating.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, JJ.

Are you taking both the Lexapro and the Abilify at 9 pm at night? 

How is your sleep, are you sleeping from 12 pm until 10 am straight through? Some people find Lexapro to be stimulating, so they take it earlier in the day. You mentioned not being the greatest sleeper in this post, so I'm wondering if taking the Lexapro at night might be causing you problems.

If so, you could try moving the Lexapro back to earlier in the day, perhaps just 2 hours earlier and see how that works for you. 

Please keep updating. 

Interesting idea.

I sleep soundly (good catch, by the way). What I mean is I'm an inveterate night owl. Which is a bit useless in my condition.

I take both at night. Let me make adjustments and report back. Would be nice if this were all there was to it.

• Moderator Emeritus

A couple additional comments:

1. If you do find that moving your Lexapro dose back two hours helps, great. Then you can gradually move it to even earlier in the day until it's a morning dose. I would do this over a number of days, letting your CNS adjust to each move, nothing abrupt. Please keep the dose of all your drugs the same while you're doing this, as you don't want any other variables in the equation.

2. You may want to work on your sleep habits. I also have problems with this because I've spent the majority of my life simply taking drugs to sleep whenever I needed to. But after I came off the drugs, I found that the more structured I became with my sleep, the more control I had over my insomnia. 

This is a good thread with more information and links:

Tips to help sleep -- so many of us have withdrawal insomnia

This post in particular explains what is meant by having a good sleep routine:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/53-tips-to-help-sleep-so-many-of-us-have-that-awful-withdrawal-insomnia/?p=5520

Alto does mention melatonin in that post, but since you're not having a problem falling asleep, you may not wish to try that. The point she makes about having a structured bedtime and waketime might be something to consider. 

I hope this information is helpful. 

Am really starting to hit bottom.  I'm under the care of a good naturopath, who's suggesting using supporting treatments (5HTP?) to help the ability taper.

I'm going to bed on time but am not able to get up.  I sleep till 1:00 in the afternoon.

I have been moving the Lexapro back earlier, doesn't seem to do much.  Concentration is hit or miss.

Any suggestions?

• Moderator Emeritus

We don't suggest adding a psycho-neuro-active substance, pharmaceutical/over-the-counter/herbal, to deal with withdrawal symptoms.  Adding one, even a "natural" one like 5-HTP, can further destabilize your CNS (central nervous system).

I see in your signature that you've done 2 reductions of 50% or more to get to your current dose of 0.5 mg Abilify:

2.5 mg → 1.0 mg, September

1.0 mg → 0.5 mg, October

Your symptoms are almost certainly the result of this dramatic 80% reduction in Abilify dose since the start of September. The 2 known effective ways to deal with this are

1. riding out the symptoms, adding nothing (pharmaceutical, over-the-counter, street drugs) or
  2. reinstating/updosing the Abilify.

Like all of us, you want to be off the medications as soon as possible or on as low a dose as is effective as soon as possible. Once withdrawal symptoms have started, trying to go fast takes much longer than going slowly.  How do you feel about increasing your Abilify dose? I'm not suggesting that you do it, just inquiring about your thoughts and feelings on the idea.

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

It's a shame about the caution against adding natural substances.  I get your way of thinking, though. 

I think I am going to reup back to 1mg Abilify/day and wait until I stabilize.  Guess I have no other choice.

• Moderator Emeritus

When in October did you reduce to 0.5 mg?

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

I updated my sig.  Although I'm a little unclear about the exact dates.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, JJ.

Did you decide to stay at .5 mg Abilify instead of going back to 1 mg like you were thinking about here? How are you feeling, sleeping, etc? 

Please let us know how you are doing. 

I went back to 1mg. One thing I noticed right away leg cramps that had suddenly appeared went away.

I'm now convinced I'll have to go off these things real slow.

Still not functioning well, but pretty much back to "baseline".

• Moderator Emeritus

This is good to hear, JJ. It sounds like your updose worked. You may wish to wait for several weeks before making a decrease. 

Please keep us updated. 

• 3 weeks later...

Am now doing better.  Am more-or-less stabilized on the Abilify at 1mg.  Still looking trimmer since lowering the dosage (can use all the positive reinforcement I can get).

But, I'm very concerned about the dark circles under my eyes not going away.  Can anyone offer any advice?  Is it CNS-related?  Doctor was no use, of course.

Thanks.

JJ33

Glad to read your feeling better. Dark circles are usually caused by either sleeping too little, sleeping too much, or allergies.

How do you plan to taper your last 1 mg?

Was anxiety one of your withdrawal symptoms?

Good luck

Been taking paroxetine 20 mg for 20+ years for depression. Taking 300 mg of wellbutrin since October 2015 for adhd and depression. Take fish oil, calcium, and a multivitamin. Started taking risperidone late January 2015 3mg for a misdiagnoses of bipolar. Started tapering risperidone late July 2016. As of late September tapered down to 2mg at 5% a week off current dose. Oct 21/2016 1.58 mg Nov 21/2016 1.26mg No withdrawals so far.

As I (and kaydb) said above, it doesn't seem to be related to sleep. Allergies, maybe (I am hoping!) as I've experienced them lately. Appreciate the suggestion!

No anxiety, fatigue is pretty bad though. I would like to taper Abilify, slowly, dissolving the tablets in water as mentioned here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1896-tips-for-tapering-off-abilify-aripiprazole

How has the Wellbutrin been working out for you? Ideally if I had to be on a medicine it would be only one, and what I've read about Wellbutrin sounds encouraging (by comparison, at least).

(ADD is the rationale for Wellbutrin being prescribed to me)

Wellbutrin has helped me in withdrawal I believe. It's kept my energy levels up, and has an anxiolytic effect as well, which sets in after 4 to 6 weeks.

It's used for opiate, meth, cocaine, and benzodiazepine withdrawals. I assume it would work for withdrawing from an antipsychotic also.

Hope you figure out a way to battle your fatigue.

Been taking paroxetine 20 mg for 20+ years for depression. Taking 300 mg of wellbutrin since October 2015 for adhd and depression. Take fish oil, calcium, and a multivitamin. Started taking risperidone late January 2015 3mg for a misdiagnoses of bipolar. Started tapering risperidone late July 2016. As of late September tapered down to 2mg at 5% a week off current dose. Oct 21/2016 1.58 mg Nov 21/2016 1.26mg No withdrawals so far.

That's really interesting information to know.  Hopefully won't have to go that route, but you never know.

Thanks for sharing.

THE LORD IS MY SHEPHERD = NOW only on TRILEPTAL 450mg began w/900mg 7/16 -- off LITHIUM 600mg (sometimes 300mg 5/15 -11/16 took 2 months to taper) .... XANAX 2 mg for 2 weeks but addicted in 6/16 tapered 7/16-9/16 JUMPED 9/30 (believe have kindling from previous benzos)
6 meds nightly for INSOMNIA includes XANAX .. BELSOMRA 20mg c/t 8/20/16 off & on for a yr ZANAFLEX 8 mg /SILENOR 6mg/PROZASIN 15 mg/DOXEPIN 50 mg on all nightly 2 months 6/16 - 7/16 except for silenor (year) wd ALL 8/16-9/16 w/pdoc help
c/t KLONOPIN .5mg which began INSOMNIA end of 3/15 after on for 4 months also horrible sound& light sensitivity sometimes took 2 or 3 reinstated & then c/t@hospital 5/15 on TEMPAZEPAM/SEROQUEL/LITHIUM when left hospital tolerance to temazepam after 1 month given ATIVAN in hospital& later
SEROQUEL started @ 200 mg and overnight to 800 mg had horrible akathasisia & rash DEPAKOTE 1000 mg off after few wks ALL I COULD ENDURE
then AMBIEN side effects & tolerance on for few months 5/15 - 8/15 and then again 2 mos 5/16 LATUDA 3/16 on days BAD/GEODON 4/16 on less 2 weeks BAD AKATHASIA/ZYPREXA bad mouth shaking almost 24/7 off & on few months in 2015 & again in 2016
trazodon/remeron/gabapentin/sonata/lunesta did nothing to help INSOMNIA so got off after few days - also short time SAPHRIS BAD 
MEDICATION SENSITIVE & have paradoxical side effects -- CANNOT TAKE BENZOS, ATYPICAL-ANTIPSYCHOTICS, ANTI-DEPRESSANTS
PAST prior to 2 yrs on Prozac even1/4 pill caused BAD ANXIETY, CELEXA OK, Abilify, Pristiq, Lamictal, Paxil BAD - more but can't remember
  • Mentor

Hi JJ,  I am interested in the MTHFR connection.   I just had my testing done, and have two mutations, the two main ones they test for methylation issues/psychological problems.      I do know that the artifical or synthetic folate, and supplements (if not the correct ones)  are really bad.           

That makes sense to me, as I understand now, why synthetic folate, and this stuff in fortified foods, is so bad for me. 

Also,  I have stuggled getting off the pills, my fault, as I tried to race, and did cuts too big.   Please dont make my mistake, go slow.      It is not worth the crashes, as I have experienced.   Best wishes.

1992 Dothiepin 375mg 8 weeks, exhaustion/depression.  Serotonin syndrome, oh yes!  seizures . Fell pregnant, 3rd baby, Nitrous Oxide, 3 weeks mental hospital pp psychosis. zoloft tegretol.

Feb 1996 ct tegretol, tapered Zoloft 8 weeks. as (unexpectedly)  pregnant. Steven died after 3 days.(Zolft HLHS baby).  98 had run in with Paxil, 2 tablets, 3 weeks taper, survived.
2005..menopause? exhausted again. Zyprexa, mad in three days, fallout....  Seroquel, Effexor, tegretol,   and 8 years of self destruction. Failed taper.
Damn 1/4 valium... nuts again! .fallout, zoloft 100mg  seroquol 400mg mirtazapine 45 mg  tegretol 400mg.  Mid 14 3 month taper. Nov 14 CRASH.
Mid 15 ....   75mg  seroquel,  3 x 1800mg SJW  2 week window end of December followed by 6 week wave
5/2 68mg seroquel, 2.5 x 1800mg SJW::::20/2 61mg seroquel, 2.5 x  SJW::: 26/2 54mg seroquel, 2 x SJW::::21/3 43mg seroquel, 1 x 2700SJW :::: 23/4 36mg seroquel 1 x 1800 SJW
15/5 33mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::   28/5 30mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::;  18/6 25mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::::, 11/7 21mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::, 26/7 18mg seroquel 1/2 SJW:::, 9/8 12mg seroquel :::, 16/8 6mg seroquel ;;;;, 12/9 0 jump.

23/9  3mg.....,  27/9 0mg.  Reinstated, 6mg, then 12mg.............  LIGHTBULB MOMENT,  I have  MTHFR 2x mutations.  CFS and issues with MOULD in my home. So I left home, and working 150km away during week, loving it.

Oh was hard, panic attacks first week, gone now, along with the mould issues.

Hi JJ,  I am interested in the MTHFR connection.   I just had my testing done, and have two mutations, the two main ones they test for methylation issues/psychological problems.      I do know that the artifical or synthetic folate, and supplements (if not the correct ones) are really bad.

Hi ang,

As far as MTHFR I can only say what my experience has been.  I am heterozygous for c677t, and a SpectraCell test showed I was low in B12 (despite having high serum B12 levels).  After supplementing with B12 I found I could walk further and exercise more without "crashing" afterwards.  Unfortunately methylfolate (the form of folic acid you are supposed to use if you have this snp) didn't do anything to help my depression.  Your experience may be different, but please don't take this as a recommendation of any sort (It doesn't seem like there's any harm in avoiding synthetic folic acid, though).

I think I already made the mistake of withdrawing too fast.  I only now just learned why it's so hard to get off that last few mg (or less) of medication (because the ratio of the drug's effect to the amount of medication isn't a straight line).  I know now to be much more careful and proceed more slowly, especially toward the very end.

Which MTHFR snps do you have?  There's a lot of information out there, but the common wisdom seems to be that it takes epigenetics (changes due to environmental impacts) to express any genetic vulnerabilities you may have.  In my case I am convinced it was a contributing factor--I firmly believe if I had known about this years ago I would never have had to be on antidepressants in the first place.

Hi yyeehhaaww,

Thanks for the link.  I'll read through it.

The fatigue I experience started before I ever took antidepressants, at least I think so.  Still not sure if the medication has contributed to it/made it worse...I don't suppose going through withdrawal will help improve the situation any.

• Mentor

Hi JJ33.  I have only been tested for MTHFR, and the test I had said C677T  herterozygous    and A1298C heterozygous.

Apparently the A1298C   one causes more cognitive issues  .

I also believe I have the CYP one  (not tested)   as I read the list of drugs that react BADLY,   if you have this mutation,   I have a list of drugs, that I cant tolerate, they ALL on that list   ........             the only one I could tolerate was zoloft 50mg, and tegretol, and both those are OK with this CYP mutation   (    to do with processing by the liver?).

I need to read more.

But one B12 shot of hydroxo B12, and I am back in the land of the living.          A week ago, I had to lie down, all the time, the CF was so bad.   Diagnosed CFS, and Morgellans ... blood tests for morgellans went to Germany.  (real expensive, that one!).

I now am wondering if my only problems, ever, was the genetics, and the fact I can not tolerate artifical folate  (folic acid...............    I am learning  IS NOT FOLATE,  it is a chemical, and never found in food).  for 5 pregnancies, I took this supplement the old folic acid supplement religiously.        I had two heart defect babies, one minor, the other baby   died 3 days old.

To find out now, that vaccines, artificial folate, synthetic stuff, chemicals, I can not tolerate, is bitter sweet.                 But so, so important, for my four children, and ten grandchildren.   Explains all the health issues, we all have.       I am so angry, they add artificial chemicals to food  to stop neural tube defects,   and in my case, adding this stuff, ie especially the folic acid supplements in pregnancy, made all these issues, so much worse.     

1992 Dothiepin 375mg 8 weeks, exhaustion/depression.  Serotonin syndrome, oh yes!  seizures . Fell pregnant, 3rd baby, Nitrous Oxide, 3 weeks mental hospital pp psychosis. zoloft tegretol.

Feb 1996 ct tegretol, tapered Zoloft 8 weeks. as (unexpectedly)  pregnant. Steven died after 3 days.(Zolft HLHS baby).  98 had run in with Paxil, 2 tablets, 3 weeks taper, survived.
2005..menopause? exhausted again. Zyprexa, mad in three days, fallout....  Seroquel, Effexor, tegretol,   and 8 years of self destruction. Failed taper.
Damn 1/4 valium... nuts again! .fallout, zoloft 100mg  seroquol 400mg mirtazapine 45 mg  tegretol 400mg.  Mid 14 3 month taper. Nov 14 CRASH.
Mid 15 ....   75mg  seroquel,  3 x 1800mg SJW  2 week window end of December followed by 6 week wave
5/2 68mg seroquel, 2.5 x 1800mg SJW::::20/2 61mg seroquel, 2.5 x  SJW::: 26/2 54mg seroquel, 2 x SJW::::21/3 43mg seroquel, 1 x 2700SJW :::: 23/4 36mg seroquel 1 x 1800 SJW
15/5 33mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::   28/5 30mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::;  18/6 25mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::::, 11/7 21mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::, 26/7 18mg seroquel 1/2 SJW:::, 9/8 12mg seroquel :::, 16/8 6mg seroquel ;;;;, 12/9 0 jump.

23/9  3mg.....,  27/9 0mg.  Reinstated, 6mg, then 12mg.............  LIGHTBULB MOMENT,  I have  MTHFR 2x mutations.  CFS and issues with MOULD in my home. So I left home, and working 150km away during week, loving it.

• Mentor

The reason I got put on antidepressants, was the exhaustion, no one ever did any blood tests, or anything.        And with the exhaustion, and the mental confusion that came with it, they just didnt understand.

First AD  was dothiepin, high level,  3 months later seizures, 3 weeks in hospital.         I cant clear this stuff out fast enough, should never have been put on high dose anything.

Zoloft,  that seemed OK,   but got pregnant, unexpectedly, went off, and HLHS baby.           No more antidepressants, pregnant again, all fine,  until two years later,    exhaustion again.      

Valium to help me sleep, sent me psycho  (cant tolerate valium).             Then effexor,   high dose,   after a year of so, semi manic for 4 years or more, undiagnosed, high blood pressure, stuffed liver, high cholesterol, high blood pressure.  (previously healthy).

Anyway, now off all this stuff for two years,   and chronic fatigue few weeks ago, hit rock, rock bottom.                    Finally did the MTHFR testing, oh, wish I had done it before!  I had no idea with this defect, blood tests can look normal, but if they test for ACTIVE B12,  or homocysteine  (ie system really messed up by the MTHFR)............              well my B12, has fallen from 420 to 223 in 18 months,     2 weeks after that test fallen to 200.            It is falling an average of a point every two weeks.   My homocysteine should be under 12 ,   was 14.3 two weeks ago, now already up to 16. 

Body is almost, like final reserves of B12, etc, are all gone, and the dive is happening.           If I am correct, it is URGENT, I get it fixed, if it goes too much longer, permanent damage is done, ie to the myelin sheaths,  ie congnitive damage, and damage to things like walking, etc, can become permanent.

My mother died after years of alzeimers,  so sad to realise she also probably just lacked B12.        Same genetics.            

My father suicided in 1966, after being given valium (I believe).............. same reaction, makes us hyper and psychotic.          I believe the A1298C  was from my father, as my mother said he was always a depressive.       My mother couldnt understand it.          She was not a depressive.     He was.

So yes, I do believe mental illness is genetic, all messed up by the modern world, artifical synthetic supplements making things worse, and they mask B12 and folate and iron deficiencies, because the blood shows levels OK,  but they are not,  the synthetic folic acid, etc,  I can NOT use.............            and I believe that crap blocks the real natural folate, B12 from actually being used.