SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Truehope's Empowerplus vs an ordinary multivitamin

Altostrata

• Administrator

ADMIN NOTE Also see 

Heavily advertised for mental health, Truehope's EMPowerplus contains similar ingredients to and is very much weaker than an ordinary multivitamin.

EMPowerplus's ingredient list is at https://www.mytruehope.net/store/products/truehope-empowerplus.asp?SCID1=&SCID2=

Note you have to take 4 capsules in a serving size, so you need to divide the Amount Per Serving by 4 to find the equivalent to an ordinary once-daily multivitamin.

Here's the ingredient list for a cheap Walgreen's once-daily multivitamin Walgreens A Thru Z Multivitamin/Multimineral Supplement Tablets Select

The Walgreen's multivitamin is nothing special. I take it myself because it has low B vitamins, which can cause bad reactions in people with withdrawal sensitivities. It's currently available buy-one-get-one-free.

I don't think much of EMPowerplus's proprietary blend. If you have withdrawal sensitivities, it's a bunch of stuff you'd be better off taking separately.

I can't see anything special or helpful about EMPowerplus. Basically, it's a multivitamin that's been heavily advertised for good mental health. My personal opinion is that just about any multivitamin would give you the same results -- if you wish to take a weaker dose, you can cut it into pieces.

Edited by Altostrata
updated

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Administrator

In 2006, I wrote to a Canadian researcher, Bonnie Kaplan, who was supposed to be involved in a study of EmpowerPlus for bipolar disorder.

In part, here is her response:

The following are some additional facts that may interest you:

The ingredients of this supplement are mostly ordinary minerals and vitamins. They are certainly not unusual or exotic: a normal everyday diet includes 34 of the 36 components, though not in such high amounts. A full daily dose initially consists of 5 capsules three times/day (=15/day). [Note: our publications thus far employed an earlier version, containing many more capsules.] Most people decrease that to a maintenance dose after a few months, usually at about 4 capsules twice/day (=8/day). The ingredients are not a secret: they are listed on every bottle, at the Truehope website mentioned below, and in our published articles.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I am glad you brought this up Alto. When I first began weaning I started with Truehope's program. I had a colleague who had some success with it.

They offer a lot of things in addition to the EMPower which is their main product. I still use it minimally in powder form and think there has been some symptom relief, but they also have aminos, things for digestion optimization etc.

I must say they have a good staff of people who you can contact 24/7 and I never made a call without getting a plan that helped. This is where what they call "add-on's" comes in. They suggest things like whey protein isolate for anxiety, choline for aggitation - just as an example. So, they did help.

My only problem with it is that it is a "shotgun" approach. Their product is put together to have what they believe most people might need. It was not until I got with a naturopathic physician that my symptoms got under control and I think that is because he deals in my system specifically.

Another concern is that they encourage tapering at a pretty quick pace. Long ago they did not even accept patients into the program until after they'd weaned off psych meds, so this has been a change for them and I think they are in over their heads.

So, I think they are doing some good for some people. I have to take the ingredients they use and look at them and see what makes sense for me. Just like one other program called "The Road Back", who also have support lines and then a different site sells products, I took a thorough look at what might be truly helpful. This second non-profit has a product called Body Calm Supreme. It is Montmorency Cherry Juice and passion flower extract. So, I dissect things like this see if it may have validity. Many people on Truhope's small forum raved about the help they felt they got from passion flower extract or from whey protein isolate - enough to say that it may help many people.

But yes, Truhope's main product is a multivitamin and then they add aminos to that which, looking at each one, I feel that they have the potential to help a ravaged nervous system.

I think it is important not to throw the baby out with the bathwater where this type of thing is concerned and everyone needs to find the path that makes sense to them. Crocus

xxxx

I can see why you said your patience about this program is very limited, Alto. I read the ingredients list and it seems like a crime that they can do this. Simply taking a multi-vitamin and making it out to be some super-cure and mark the price up like that. That's ridiculous, and sad.

A friend of mine recently tried very hard pushing a program on me that was for people withdrawing. I can't remember what it was called. I finally looked at the website and saw that all it was was herbs that I can buy cheaply, and the program was $600. Blew my mind! Truly this is criminal to me.

I'm editing this because the program is actually $250 and it's called "Point of Return". They target specifically people withdrawing from SSRIs and Benzos. Shame on them!

Edited by Shanti

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Actually, looking closer at Point of Returns ingredients closely, there is a lot of stuff that would be hard to get and would add up. I have no idea about the effectiveness. I just know I don't have that kind of money to spend on this. I'm doing well with my remedies anyway. Except for the jerks! But I'm still working on that.

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Administrator

Crocus, I agree with your approach. Dissect the ingredients, study them, and decide which is right for you. Experiment with supplements very cautiously, and one at a time.

Many people with withdrawal hypersensitivity have bad reactions to amino acid supplements, too. I haven't heard of any amino acid that is generally helpful, as fish oil is generally helpful, or I would post about it. Individuals sometimes find this amino acid or that one helps, but it's an individual thing.

(Whey protein isolate has been known for many years on withdrawal Web sites. It's the way I would recommend getting amino acids, as a general nutrition booster. The brand I prefer is NOW Whey Protein Isolate.)

I don't believe that Truehope, The Road Back, or Label Me Sane have magic keys to making withdrawal easier, and I've spent way too much time carefully studying their programs. I was a counselor for 2 years at a holistic orthomolecular withdrawal center. I understand how they put their programs together, and as near as I can tell, they're all shooting in the dark.

When it comes to withdrawal syndrome, any documentation that some supplement is great for the nervous system is questionable. Those studies, such as they are, were all done on people with stable nervous systems. In withdrawal, that's out the window.

Another problem is that much of the literature on neuroactive supplements was written to support the concept of balancing neurotransmitters. If balancing neurotransmitters is a bunch of hooey in psychiatry, it's also hooey in alternative medicine.

(Micronutients are helpful in various mental disorders? That doesn't mean you have to buy those micronutrients from Truehope.)

I don't like the way Truehope uses those studies on their site to sell their products.

The apparent success of these programs is complicated by the fact that some people do fine with a short taper. But they would do fine whether or not they were taking the supplements. Another complication is that many people do suffer withdrawal for only a few weeks. It's very human to attribute success to a talisman like a supplement, especially if you've spent a lot of money on it.

If you want to spend way too much money on an ordinary multivitamin or other ordinary supplements, by all means purchase Truehope's products, or The Road Back's, or Label Me Sane's.

I know perfectly well that I could put a "program" together, advertise it, and make money from it. I work very hard to put good-quality information on this site -- and I give it away. I can't afford to run this site out of my pocket, and some day may have to take advertising. But I would NEVER take advertising from programs like this. I give them no credibility.

We do not recommend any of these programs on this site. If you wish to discuss them with others, please go to the sites run by their respective companies.

• Administrator

Thanks, Shanti. Point of Return is Label Me Sane. I've analyzed each of their products and they are all conventional supplements re-labeled. There's nothing special in that program, either.

Just wanted to note: If you are using any of these programs, that is your choice. You can also participate on SurvivingAntidepressants.org and we will support you in your taper.

There are many discussions of supplements and alternative treatments in this forum. To start, see Important topics about tests, supplements, herbs, treatments

Well said Alto.

I had wanted to add that this program heavily encourages tapering from multiple drugs at the same time. For me, this was crazy-making as I had no hope of tracking what substance or reduction I might have been reacting to.

I continue to take the EMP that I have and only have it because I was given a huge discount for being a mental health professional.

xxxx

I find it very interesting that if someone says something negative about a program it is ok, but when some one says something remotely positive they get a warning. This does not seem fair to me.

• Administrator

You are welcome to participate in Surviving Antidepressants under these rules.

• Administrator

Good point, let's end this here.

• 6 months later...

http://www.viibrydwithdrawal.org/viibryddiscontinuation.htm

I''m not able to copy the text. It does the 10% reduction, but every 2 weeks, which is way too fast.

History:

1995--Prozac--Quit CT by GP

1995--Effexor--Quit per my GP

1996--Amitriphene--Quit CT when changed GP

2005--Citalopram and BusPar. Prescribed when I decompensated in my GP's office. GP referred me to behavior health. Psychiatrist prescibed these drugs. Taken off citalopram in 2011 due to FDA warning. Quit Buspar during transition to viibryd.

Viibryd--2011 to present. Had a severe reaction in March 2012. Advised both GP and Psychiatrist I was trying to get off these drugs.

• Administrator

This is a commercial venture.

The Road Back has made a Web site out of the Viibryd package insert, with a little bit of tapering advice and links that lead to The Road Back and its Web site selling supplements.

This is deliberately deceptive. Yet another reason I don't recommend The Road Back.

In the future, meistersinger, please try to find out who is sponsoring the site before posting it here. I don't want to give ventures like these any additional publicity or Google pointers.

This is a commercial venture.

The Road Back has made a Web site out of the Viibryd package insert, with a little bit of tapering advice and links that lead to The Road Back and its Web site selling supplements.

This is deliberately deceptive. Yet another reason I don't recommend The Road Back.

In the future, meistersinger, please try to find out who is sponsoring the site before posting it here. I don't want to give ventures like these any additional publicity or Google pointers.

Sorry, I didn't realize it myself until it was too late. Brain fog is really getting to me. Almost posted on the JNK gene until I saw the come on.

History:

1995--Prozac--Quit CT by GP

1995--Effexor--Quit per my GP

1996--Amitriphene--Quit CT when changed GP

2005--Citalopram and BusPar. Prescribed when I decompensated in my GP's office. GP referred me to behavior health. Psychiatrist prescibed these drugs. Taken off citalopram in 2011 due to FDA warning. Quit Buspar during transition to viibryd.

Viibryd--2011 to present. Had a severe reaction in March 2012. Advised both GP and Psychiatrist I was trying to get off these drugs.

• 6 months later...

I know alto has talked about this before but I couldnt find the post and wanted to hear it again--but why do you think its not a good idea to take empowerplus? I used it for a few months and then came off it for a month and recently started again. I feel great for a few hours after taking it but i sort of get crashes. Some bad fatigue, depression...any info on this product? thanks

Various SSRIs/SNRIs 7- 1/2 years

Went Cold Turkey from Celexa 2011, Stayed Off

Psych Drug Free and Loving Life (over 6 years and counting)

How I Stay Well: Diet, exercise, meditation, supplements, etc

Hey Zepplin. I was curious and found the thread (came up in Google search).

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1368-truehopes-empowerplus-vs-an-ordinary-multivitamin/

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1368-truehopes-empowerplus-vs-an-ordinary-multivitamin/

thanks for the info. The dose is not 4 capsules, thats just what the bottle says and it is not like a multi, trust me. The loading dose is 15 a day. I was doing about 12. I can honestly say that it does make me feel well, but its kind of like a stimulant feeling in that I feel euphoric and then have a comedown effect. That does not happen with a multi. I think it is the proprietary blend in combination with the chelated nutrients that give me the euphoric feeling.

Anyways, I know someone else here was also using it. Dont know if I will stay on it but I really dont like the crashes. At the same time, when after taking a dose, I do feel well honestly but not sure if its too stimulating.

Various SSRIs/SNRIs 7- 1/2 years

Went Cold Turkey from Celexa 2011, Stayed Off

Psych Drug Free and Loving Life (over 6 years and counting)

How I Stay Well: Diet, exercise, meditation, supplements, etc

• Administrator

Use Search and you will find.

Sorry, Zepp, this ordinary multivitamin does not have magical properties. If you find taking a lot of it (and paying an exorbitant amount of money for it) works for you, great.

Otherwise, the official opinion of this site is that this supplement is tremendously overhyped just short of illegality. (TrueHope has been investigated several times by the Canadian government.)

This is a particularly good discussion, from a schizophrenia support forum http://www.schizophrenia.com:8080/jiveforums/thread.jspa?messageID=93830

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/ahc-asc/media/advisories-avis/_2007/2007_17-eng.php

http://www.healthwatcher.net/Quackerywatch/Synergy/#nutshell

http://www.dietfraud.com/Quackerywatch/Synergy/index.html

http://www.circare.org/search/search.cgi?Terms=truehope

http://mytherapy.com/discussion/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=37355

John Grohol in PsychCentral http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2011/08/29/nutritional-supplements-to-treat-adhd-bipolar-depression-empowerplus/all/1/

Nutritional Supplements to Treat ADHD, Bipolar, Depression: EMPowerplus

TrueHope makes the claim that its EMPowerplus product can help treat bipolar disorder and ADHD, among other mental health concerns. It is my opinion that these claims are unfounded based upon the current research that suffers from a wide range of methodological problems.

Is it safe to try? Apparently, yes. Can you potentially gain some benefit from trying it? Sure, it’s possible — the web and the company’s website are littered with testimonials from people who say it works for them. That means it may also work for you.

But so may any sugar pill. Or any off-the-shelf vitamin supplement. I wouldn’t pay a premium ($75 for 228 pills — and you have to take 15 capsules/day, meaning you’ll need 2 bottles/month) for a mix of vitamins and minerals that haven’t been shown to be more effective than placebo. I would just take a daily supplement that’s already available (and is more affordable).

Here's a blogger expose after my own heart: Alternative Mental Health Recovery

Truehope or Truehype? An analysis of EMpower

She compares Empower Plus ingredients with those of 4 ordinary multivitamins.

While the Bipolar Disorder to Ear and Tail Biting Syndrome connection is pretty weak there is some real evidence that vitamin supplementation can help people with mental health issues. The question then becomes, does Syngery Group’s Empower formula really offer you something unique that you can not get elsewhere? The answer is, probably not.

Although their marketing strategy tried to convince you otherwise, we know that there are other, cheaper sources of multivitamin formulas which have gone through chelation processing and have a higher bioavailability of nutrients than ionic or colloidal formulas.

Don’t let the chelation, bioavailability lingo distract you from the facts. No matter how much bioavailable nutrients you consume, there is a limit to how much your body can take before you are overdosing for no real therapeutic reason and you are facing diminishing returns.

She quotes customer support calls to TrueHope from the book Pig Pills:

How does EMpower work and how much do you take for how long?

Customer support call for bipolar disorder

“Generally what will happen after you start the EMpower it gets into your body and starts repairing that chemical imbalance a little bit at a time. Generally everyone starts off at 18 (capsules) a day. That is what we have found through our research that your body needs. Once you have gone three months without symptoms that is when we would begin to find a maintenance dose for you. Generally we see people maintaining at 9-12 per day.” ( About half or slightly less than half of the ‘loading’ dose apparently)

It’s creepy similar to what the psych nurses and my psychiatrist told me in the hospital.

What happens if you come off EMpower?

Customer support call for depression.

“EMpower corrects the chemical imbalance in the brain by supporting it with vitamins and minerals. If you were ever to come off EMpower your body would no longer have that support. Your original symptoms would return. So, it’s unfortunately, an incurable illness.”

Wait a second. This is also the same story that psychiatrists tell you about your illness and meds....

She summarizes TrueHope's arguments:

The ‘science’ underpinning Truehope can be boiled down to these summations of the information they are presenting on that website.

A. Mental illness is considered to be a chemical imbalance. Since vitamins and minerals are necessary for proper production of neurotransmitters a deficiency in vitamins and minerals may be the cause of your chemical imbalance.

B. Some scientists theorize that some people have a genetic need for more vitamins and minerals than others. Some scientists have show that some genetic mutations require more vitamins and minerals. We at Truehope have connected all the dots here. People with bipolar, schizophrenia, anxiety disorders, OCD, clinical depression and ADHD are genetic mutants with active deficiencies of vitamins and minerals the specifics and exact amount of which we have figured out and presented as EMpower to fix those deficiencies.

C. The deficiencies of these genetic mutants are causing their brain cells to shrink and die. That has to have some kind of effect.

D. One of our company founders thinks that maybe it’s all about being deficient in a few vitamins and minerals and this causes systemic wide chain reactions which lead to even greater deficiencies or inability to properly uptake some nutrients. Our formula fixes all that stuff no problem because we know exactly what it takes to remedy that.

The point is, real true hope can totally change your mental and emotional states around. Totally and completely and so fast it’s like magic. It can shatter months long depression and make you smile.

In my opinion Synergy Group’s decision to call themselves Truehope was pure marketing genius. If you are desperate and suddenly you have hope you may have a spontaneous remission of your suffering based entirely off the feeling of purpose and confidence you now possess.

I had enjoyed some great benefits from mere generic multivitamins when I was not taking care of myself all that well.

When I started taking care of myself and eating and living better the effects of supplements became much less. Unless you really do in fact have a proven and documented medical condition that prevents the natural uptake of vitamins and minerals then your body will naturally uptake and absorb what it needs from a well balanced diet.

There is something a little sketchy about the folks coming out with autobiographies on how Truehope saved their life. They are not just sharing their experiences and moving on. If you go to their sites they are selling Truehope products usually in what I assume can only be a mutual interests back scratching and profiteering franchise of some kind. They are getting paid to pimp Truehope.

....Truehope has got sleaze all over it though. From the weasel word salad that is their FAQ’s and research pages to their sweepingly huge claims in terms of how many mental issues they claim they cure. In the past miracle cures claiming to be effective in curing ‘everything’ have always panned out to be false, misleading or untrue. Always.

If you have been saved by EMpower, good for you. I hope it lasts. I hope you are not deceiving yourself and unnecessarily assuming you have a genetic mutation that requires you to take much greater amounts of vitamins and minerals than other people. If you really do have such a deficiency by all means keep on taking your capsules.

(By the way, those "research" papers TrueHope has posted on its site are not relevant to what TrueHope is selling. They are window dressing. Prospective consumers should be repelled by that fact alone.)

Now, I'm going to leave this topic open for a very brief discussion of the above. Then I'm going to close it again because nothing irritates me more than people being sucked into dishonest marketing.

• Administrator

Also see this topic TrueHope Supplements

and

EMPowered to Kill

by neurocritic

http://neurocritic.blogspot.com/2012/07/empowered-to-kill.html

thanks for the info. The dose is not 4 capsules, thats just what the bottle says and it is not like a multi, trust me. The loading dose is 15 a day. I was doing about 12. I can honestly say that it does make me feel well, but its kind of like a stimulant feeling in that I feel euphoric and then have a comedown effect. That does not happen with a multi. I think it is the proprietary blend in combination with the chelated nutrients that give me the euphoric feeling.

Anyways, I know someone else here was also using it. Dont know if I will stay on it but I really dont like the crashes. At the same time, when after taking a dose, I do feel well honestly but not sure if its too stimulating.

You take 15 a day?

I learned a lesson about supplements, listen to my body. When in doubt, cut it out.

good luck,

Alex

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

• 4 months later...

I am very disappointed that Bonnie Kaplan has become a blogger on the Mad In America site.

It also galls me that alternative folks keep essentially pushing the chemical imbalance theory that we don't accept from mainstream professionals. But try telling this to some people on the MIA site and you will get flamed big time.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• Administrator

Maybe she's grown since she got involved with EmpowerPlus.

I am very disappointed that Bonnie Kaplan has become a blogger on the Mad In America site.

It also galls me that alternative folks keep essentially pushing the chemical imbalance theory that we don't accept from mainstream professionals. But try telling this to some people on the MIA site and you will get flamed big time.

Not all alternative folks are like this. Everyone everywhere has their own agenda or pet idea. Wisdom and stupidity can arise from any source. I follow both MIA's blogs and those on a mainstream site, and I'll occasionally find something worth sharing from the mainstream.

That said, I take that Walgreens's A-Z multi-vitamin. I'm not a vitamin guru, but its ingredients seem impressive.

Tapering Zoloft, Dec 2014

Started Lamictal

Re-started Zoloft mid-Oct 2014, 25-50mg

Stopped Zoloft end of Sept 2014

Started Zoloft July 2014, 50mg

Stopped Prozac from 3mg May 2014

Stopped Effexor Dec '13 Started 10mg Prozac

Reinstated Effexor 15mg on Nov 2013

Stopped from 21mg on Oct 2013
Effexor 112.5mg, since Dec 2012

• 1 year later...

How to chose a good multivitamin? Is Mercola a good one? http://products.mercola.com/multivitamin-vital-minerals/

I took today viridian multi http://www.viridian-nutrition.com/Shop/High-Five-Multivitamin-and-Mineral-Formula-P557.aspx#

I think it increased some paresthesia...

- 12.03.2021- doxepin- 50mg

- 6.11.2020- 75mg

- 16.10.2020- 100mg

- 30.09.2020- doxepin- 125mg

- May 2020, omeprazole 40mg switched to esomeprazole 20mg

- 2012 re-started Doxepin 75mg, evening. Increased to 150mg

- 2012, Atenolol 25mg, twice a day

- 2016, Low dose of HRT in evening, Sandrena and Utrogestan 

- Long term of Nasal spray Otrivine

- 2012, PPI Omeprazole 40mg-evening

24.10.2014- Started ESCITALOPRAM-first 5mg and then 10mg; due to the adverse symptoms reduced on 5.01.2015- Escitalopram- 2.5mg 22.07.2016- re-started reduction by 1% at a time. Completed tappering on  19.03.2020 😇

I would personally hesitate to take a multi while tapering/WD. If it is actually effective, how would you know what ingredient is troubling? In the methylation/b Vit thread Alto writes what she does or did with whole foods. I am a huge supplement taker, but I feel a need to know the "why" of each ingredient, and why I can't get enough from food.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

• Administrator

I gave up on multivitamins altogether. Now I take vitamins C, D, E, and food betacarotene (vitamin A), plus magnesium, taurine, and fish oil -- all for very specific reasons. My vitamin bill has plummeted.

According to conventional blood tests, my B vitamin status is fine and I'm making metabolites for B12, etc., indicating I am metabolizing them and absorbing them. My bone density is normal. In short, I'm in very good physical health.

I'm eating a lot more veggies than I used to.

I think the multivitamin makes me feeling worse. But I don't really know if and what to take. I know that something is not right with me on a nutritional level. I never had problems with my hair, also my nails have this white "patches"...don't want to go to my naturopath as I don't think she knows enough about WD, but charges a lot of money...i bought supplements but stopped taking them (homeoptic, but still complex remedies for detox)...

So I don't really know what to do anymore....

- 6.11.2020- 75mg

- 16.10.2020- 100mg

24.10.2014- Started ESCITALOPRAM-first 5mg and then 10mg; due to the adverse symptoms reduced on 5.01.2015- Escitalopram- 2.5mg 22.07.2016- re-started reduction by 1% at a time. Completed tappering on  19.03.2020 😇

Hi Ikam.  I am currently taking this very multivitamin (Viridian), 2 capsules a day. No problems with it (i mean i had times when i was and when i wasn't taking this multivitamin, i see no difference really). I am 16 months completely off lexapro at the moment. But when i was in early wd stages i would feel more anxiety and worse if i was taking a multi-vitamin. Especially worse after trying Empower Plus, actually. I have been taking EmpowerPlus while tapering lexapro and no problem, but when i got into severe WD after my 15 months of tapering, Empower became impossible for me. Hence Viridian. It does not contain some of the EmpowerPlus stuff.

Lexapro for 6 years.

Stopped September 2013.

details:

10 mg - jan 2007- sep 2009. 2 month taper = CT aug.-sep.2009. HUGE crush nov. 2009.

5 mg dec 2009. 10 mg 2010

My first real taper from 10 mh to 3 mg - all 2011. november 2011 - crush. back to 10 mg till may 2012.

My second taper taper from 10 to 0 mg jun 2012 - sep 2013.

nov 2013 - crush. I think my crush is because i have jumped from 1 mg lex to 0 in sep 2013.

Lex is a very powerful drug. NEVER jump from 1 mg to 0. TAPER IT IN TENTHS OF MG, PLEASE.

I had 10 months of SEVERE withdrawal. moderate to mild now. better ! Not taking any drugs now.

Hi Ikam.  I am currently taking this very multivitamin (Viridian), 2 capsules a day. No problems with it (i mean i had times when i was and when i wasn't taking this multivitamin, i see no difference really). I am 16 months completely off lexapro at the moment. But when i was in early wd stages i would feel more anxiety and worse if i was taking a multi-vitamin. Especially worse after trying Empower Plus, actually. I have been taking EmpowerPlus while tapering lexapro and no problem, but when i got into severe WD after my 15 months of tapering, Empower became impossible for me. Hence Viridian. It does not contain some of the EmpowerPlus stuff.

I have viridian multi with microlements. I felt much worse yesterday and I took only one capsule...

I may also respond differently as I was one week on antibiotic and finished yesterday...

Seems I am still very sensitive.

One vegetarian capsule provides:

Pantothenic acid (Vitamin B5 as d-Ca pantothenate) 150mg

Magnesium ascorbate providing: Ascorbic acid (vitamin C) 100mg/Magnesium 7mg 107mg

Natural Beta Carotene/Carotenoid Mix D.Salina (Equiv to Vitamin A 833ug) providing: Beta Carotene 5mg/Cryptoxanthin 39ug/Zeaxanthin 32ug/Lutein 25ug 5mg

Niacin (Vitamin B3 as niacinamide) 50mg

Kelp (providing Iodine) 25ug

Calcium (citrate) 10mg

Magnesium (citrate) 5mg

Vitamin B6(pyridoxine HCI) 25mg

Thiamin (vitamin B1 as thiamine mononitrate) 25mg

Riboflavin (Vitamin B2) 25mg

Grape seed extract 95% proanthocyanidin 20mg

Zinc (citrate) 5mg

Selenium (L-selenomethionine) 50ug

Potassium (citrate) 2mg

Choline (bitartrate) 5mg

Inositol 5mg

Iron (bisclycinate) 1mg

Boron (sodium borate) 0.5mg

Vitamin D2 (ergocalciferol - vegan) 10ug

Folic acid 400ug

Chromium (picolinate) 50ug

Vitamin B12 (cyanocobalamin) 50ug

Biotin 50ug

in a base of alfalfa, spirulina and bilberry

- 6.11.2020- 75mg

- 16.10.2020- 100mg

I think the multivitamin makes me feeling worse. But I don't really know if and what to take. I know that something is not right with me on a nutritional level. I never had problems with my hair, also my nails have this white "patches"...don't want to go to my naturopath as I don't think she knows enough about WD, but charges a lot of money...i bought supplements but stopped taking them (homeoptic, but still complex remedies for detox)...

White patches are a classic symptom of zinc deficiency.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

White patches are a classic symptom of zinc deficiency.

I will buy zink tomorrow.

I bought turmeric today, want to try it for my joint pain...

Thanks...

- 6.11.2020- 75mg

- 16.10.2020- 100mg

• 1 year later...

There are so many supplements to choose from it is hard to tell what is good for you.  By introducing one at a time doesn't work for me because my symptoms differ from one moment to another anyway and I wouldn't know if it was the supplement causing problems or just my normal withdrawals.  I just take supplements that support good brain health and don't worry about the rest.

July Medications: Started taking antidepressants in 1981, also benzos off and on; antiphychotics , anti-seizure for years.   Trazodone, Lamotrigine, Klonopin for over 10 years   all at maximum dosages,:Disconcontinued Klonopin in month of February 2011,  discontinued Trazodone and Lamotrigine   in month of March 2011 while in hosptial.  Given Seroquel to "help" go off Klonopin  gradually increased to 600 mg ; doctor took me off 600 mg. Seroquel in two weeks, and switched to Resperidal  because of weight gain on Seroquel, went off Resperidal quickly,   then gradually reinstated  Seroquel to 600 mg. at my request.   Went off Seroquel by myself at 25mg. per month in 2014.     Last medication Seroquel completely off since May 2016. Also went off Morphine at the same time as last 25 mg. of Seroquel in May 2016. Started tapering Celexa 40mg. to 35mg.  on 11 Aug. 2016  ; 16 Oct. Celexa 32.5 mg.; 6 Nov. 2016:  30mg. , 50 mg abt. Feb 26 with occasional 30mg.  , : May 10, 2017 began tapering rapidly because of adverse reaction to Celexa;, 40 mg. Celexa;   May 24, 2017: 35mg Celexa.;  June 8, 2017, 30 mg. Celexa, June 22, 2017 25mg.Celexa,; July 6,2017 20mg. CELEXA, July 20: 15mg.; August 10: Sep 29 2017: 10mg. Celexa + 10mg. Prozac, 5 Oct, 2017:  5mg. Celexa + 10mg. Prozac.; Oct. 14 Celexa 0., Prozac 10mg.Took last Prozac on November 22, 2017, Jan. 31 30mg. Cymbalta........ May Cymbalta 90mg.

Supplements Cal/Mag , Potassium, , Multi Vitamin.  digestive aid, antioxidant

Medications presently taking:    Lyrica 150mg. 2x day  , Synthroid 175mcg, Nasonex 2 sprays each nostril, once a day ,     Tylenol  1,000 mg. 2x day., , Restasis eye drops 2x day,  Trazodone 100 mg, Cymbalta 90 mg. Arthrotec 50 mg., Plavix

• Moderator Emeritus

I tried True Hope's Empower Plus program many, many years ago........and was started on it by my psychiatrist after she had read a "research study" or "scientific" article written by Bonnie Kaplan.  If I should run across it, the article, here at home in my files I will certainly post and summarize.  I do recall that the sample size was pretty darn small and remember mentioning that to my shrink.  To the best of my recollection the program was developed by a pig farmer in Canada who used it successfully on his "bipolar" diagnosed daughter.........the daughter used to show up from time to time on another site I used to use to share her success with the program and I believe has written a book.

My own conclusion reached at that time was that due to the many, many medications that I had been on previously(and I also did come off whatever I was on during my 3 month trial of Empower Plus) made it a "not effective program for me".  Keep in mind that I had NOT read Anatomy of an Epidemic nor had I been exposed to any of Will Halls work yet or the Beyond Meds site.  I knew virtually nil about withdrawal.   I think it must have been previous to 2008-2010 or so.  I was still a believer in my mental illness diagnosis and treatment to that point.  I had not come around to believing in my own insight as to some very common sense conclusions about why I was not getting into any kind of recovery.........I was just repetitively cycling up and way down and all around.

Pretty sure I wound up voluntarily hospitalized and started on a new medication regimen.

After that experience.........I find it hard to believe.........but it is so..........that I participated in another very similar program called "Neuroreplete".  Again.........not at all healing.

With the Empower Plus program.......at the time I participated there was phone support available which I used..........which often directed me to further purchases of additional supplements........some from a different vendor.  The support people, I believe, were all users of the product........not certain on this though........  It sure was alot of capsules and pills to sort and swallow while I was in a very compromised state of mind though........that I remember clearly!

Anyway.........it was a total bust for me.........costly as well........both in the $$$ department and in the stability department.  I do recall my feelings of frustration with the shrink who put me on the Empower Plus program yet never self educated as to doing support for anyone she put on the program.

So very glad that is all in the past now........over and done with.  And pretty pleased with how far I have come to date.

Thanks for reading.  Just my own personal experiences.

mmt

p.s.  Hmmmmmm........I don't know.........I just looked at the subject/topic heading and maybe this post of mine is a bit off the original topic.  Wonderful mods or Alto........feel free to edit or cut my post if so........... :mellow:

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy