SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

gloworm: Tapered 10 mg Prozac over 6 months, Dr wants me to reinstate

gloworm

Hi, I was on .5 Mg 1x day of Klonopin for 28 years, my GP updoses it to 3 x day....terrible pyridoxal reaction, Dr. added 10 Mg Prozac which helped the terrible reaction.  Did a 2 year taper off Klonopin.  6 Months after being off I started a 5 - 6 month taper off the Prozac.  Been off Klonopin 15 months; Off Prozac little over 4 months.  Having terrible monophobia (which I kinda had over these last 28 years), huge terror, obsessive thoughts, ruminating thoughts, extreme anger / rage, insomnia.  I called both my dr. and therapist crying today.  Dr. wants me to re-instate the Prozac.  Is this still benzo withdrawal or Prozac wd ???  I am SO scared of meds.....I wonder if this is me or meds ???

Edited by scallywag
tags

3 1/2 years on 10 Mg. Prozac since 1/2013 - did a 5 - 6 month taper - off as of October 2016 -

28 years of Klonopin - 2  year Taper ....off as of November 21, 2015

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gloworm

• baroquep

• Shep

• joy2730

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi gloworm, welcome to SA, I'm sorry you have to be here, but glad you found us.

Congratulations on completing your Klonopin taper and for being off for 15 months. I know getting off benzos, especially after long term use can be very difficult. How did you feel after you finished your taper? Were you completely symptom free before you started tapering Prozac?

When did the extreme symptoms begin?

Without knowing more details, I would guess what you are experiencing is a combination of nervous system sensitization from your earlier benzo taper, compounded by the effects of a relatively fast taper off Prozac, which you might not have been ready for.

I doubt this is you, its more likely to be drug and withdrawal effects, what you describe sounds typical of what many members describe when trying to come off these medications. But you will get better, it can take some time though, longer than expected in most cases.

Reinstatement of a small amount of the drug can often work well to alleviate withdrawal symptoms. According to medical knowledge, reinstatement is the only way to alleviate withdrawal. Reinstatement is best done immediately upon appearance of symptoms. The more time that passes, the less likely it is to work. Once you have stabilized on a low dose of the drug, then a slower, safer taper can be started. Here is some information about reinstatement to help you decide if its something you would like to try:  About reinstating and stabilizing to stop withdrawal symptoms

I'm not recommending reinstatement, there's no guarantee it would help, especially because you have been off for so long and it might possibly make you feel worse. But its an option which does work for some people. If you decide to try, please start with a very small amount to see how it will effect you. Your doctor might want to start you back on a full dose, but unfortunately most doctors don’t understand withdrawal or how these drugs can cause paradoxical reactions in a sensitized nervous system. I'm suggesting you work with your doctor, but ultimately you make the decision you feel is best for your health.

See: What to expect from my doctor

Here is our Prozac tapering topic with information about how to divide your dose into small amounts and tips for tapering it safely:

Tips for tapering off Prozac (fluoxetine)

I'm a little confused about your history. Your signature states you are currently still taking Prozac, but you have written you have been off it 4 months.

If you would clarify this it would help us to advise you further.

Please feel free to write whenever you want, you will find a lot of friendly help and support here.

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Gloworm, welcome from me too. Its good that you found us. 

Petunia has given you the links to info here which will help. Many of us here find that magnesium and fish oil help with symptoms. 

Personally I wouldn't be without them! 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

My taper from Klonopin went fairly well until I jumped .....months 4 - 7 were the worst. Somewhere in month 7 or 8 I did Prozac taper...I don;t remember if I was totally symptom free or not but I was feeling good enough to start getting off the Prozac.  Can you tell me when a AD WD hits at its worst ??? Again Im about 4 1/2 months off ...... every thought gives me cortisol rushes.....its a vicous cycle .  Interesting that the worst mental side effect started around month 3 or 4 from the jump of Klonopin.  Any advice is much appreciated.

3 1/2 years on 10 Mg. Prozac since 1/2013 - did a 5 - 6 month taper - off as of October 2016 -

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi gloworm,

There is no schedule or timeline for withdrawal symptoms.  Here are some links which may provide helpful information:

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Brain Remodelling

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

It is helpful to learn:  Non-drug techniques to cope

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 2 weeks later...

Hello 5 1/2 month off of a 6 month Prozac taper and 15 Months off of a 2 year Klonopin taper......I am getting all these itchy hives as well as burning ....Is this from Prozac WD ??? Seems like every other day is worse ....... when I don't eat the burning gets worse ??? What is going on ??? Please help ..... Is the burning cortisol related ?

Oops.....Been off Prozac 4 1/2 months (not 5 1/2) .................When does AD withdrawal start to hit the hardest ??? 

• Moderator Emeritus

Here is an existing topic which includes hives:  skin-issues-hives-acne-dryness-etc

Also:  histamine-food-intolerance and food-sensitivities

To search SA for existing topics I used google and type in survivingantidepressants.org hives (for the second search I typed in histamine).

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus

There is no schedule of when WD symptoms hit the hardest.  Each of us going off psychiatric drugs is an experiment where N=1.

I did a cold turkey off Cipramil several years ago and felt great for a few months and then got hit whammo! and ended up on Pristiq because at that time I didn't know about withdrawal.  I am now trying to taper Pristiq and I get withdrawal symptoms if I drop by 10%.

And members trying to get of the drug they were on before have found that what happened before doesn't necessarily happen the same next time because their CNS may have become sensitised.

Petunia ....I'm sorry about the confusion...YES I am off Prozac.....I didn't post correctly in my profile ....I will correct

• Administrator

Hello, gloworm. Do you have visible hives on your skin?

One thing you can do right away: Change your soap to a hypoallergenic type (such as glycerin with no scent) and use unscented laundry detergent. You may have become sensitive to something you use every day.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Altostrata , yes I do......they kind of moved around to where I break out .......I have never ever had hives like this before

• 3 months later...

PLEASE HELP -Reinstatement question.  I was  Klonopin for approx. 30 years as basically the same dose of .05 1x day.  I was put on Tamoxifen for breast cancer, at about 2 ½ - 3 years on it I was getting a very paranoid depression.  Dr. took me off tamoxifen and my GP updosed My Klonopin to 3 x day. 

My entire body went on fire and a internal rage that I can’t describe (which I believe was Akathisia) .  I went into total insomnia and would sleep every other day for 1 hour.  Got a psychiatrist and he started me on 2 mg Prozac ad probably day 2 of taking it my brain felt totally calm and no more rage.  He worked me up to 10 mg Liquid Prozac.

I did a 2 year taper off the K (1 year dry cut the 1 mg, 2nd year did a liquid taper of the last .05 mg) Finished 11-28-2015.  I did have WD from the K and month 3 – 7 were pretty bad. 

6 month into my K WD I started reducing the Prozac (not knowing any better) ….did a 6 month taper off that and finished 10-2016.  I could feel my mood starting to get extremely angry and having meltdowns, I would get flashes of  intrusive thoughts …..just started getting more frequent and longer lasting. 

Im doing terrible, akathisia where I cant stand being In my skin and restless (seems to be bad every other day) , paranoid depression, sleep 3 hours and doesn’t feel like I even slept, My hands, arms, feet go numb when my brain is in a semi-conscious state and I have to get awake for the numbing to clear up, Tachycardia (heart rate upon standing is 130’s) , jelly legs, terrible air hunger, wont be alone, feelings of total hopelessness, anhedonia / apathy, can’t think clear due to panic, panic / anxiety, fear that I have no words for,I have isolated from many people,

I personalize everything with myself ….TV, bible, people ect. it feels like Im addicted to fear thoughts, I put myself down 24/7, DP/DR, food sensitivity (when I eat it feels like I didn’t eat), cortisol / adrenaline surges all the time, I hardly cook for myself ,scared of food from reading posts,  scared to leave my bed, muscle wasting, can’t face people sue to paranoid fear, obsessing over losing the few people I love .  

It seems that the Prozac hid most of the K WD but I am suffering terribly now.   Of course both my doctors say this is anxiety and told me to go back on Prozac.  I keep thinking that this is me W/O a drug.  I had been diagnosed with panic disorder but was told my benzo groups that it was the drug and not me. 

For all the reasons that you all know why Im scared to re-instate …..now I can barely cry …..I am too agitated for tears …..I feel all stuffed up…..I have no good emotions like gratitude ….I feel like I have no soul …… I associated anything with loss and sadness, my homocysteine levels are rising above normal.  FYI …..I never was like this before.  In fact I never knew what panic attacks were until now….I used to say panic disorder but nothing like this.  My agoraphobia issues were always being alone without a safe person but this has taken on a whole new meaning .  When I was first given the Prozac I felt so good…..maybe too good….

And now I'm left with how much is Benzo WD at  19 months off and how much is Prozac WD at 9 months off.

Edited by Altostrata
added paragraph breaks

Gloworm:

So sorry you are going through this.  Hopefully one of the mods will be around to give you their thoughts.  In the meantime, maybe read through the thread on reinstatement.  You might find some helpful information there;  

200 Zoloft; 10 mg Zyprexa; 4 mg valium as of May 2021;  Valium taper: July 16: 3.5 valium; July 30: 3 mg (paused valium taper); Aug. 23: 2.5 mg
Zyprexa: July 26: 8.75 mg; Aug. 9: 7.5 mg; Aug. 30: 7.1 mg

-------
Dec 1, 2016. 10 mg zyprexa for 1.5 month. Started taper mid-Jan. 2017. Cut 1.25 mg every 2 weeks; smaller cuts 2.5 mg down. Stopped at .6 mg. May 7, 2017: zyprexa free. 
Zoloft: Dec1, 2016, 200 mg. Started taper: Jun12, 2017: 197.5 mg; Jun19,:195 mg; July 2:185mg; July 9,:180 mg; July16,: 175; July 23: 170; July 30: 165; Aug6: 160; Aug13: 155; Aug. 20: 150; Aug.27: 146 mg; Sept3: 145 mg; Sept10:143 mg; Sept17:140 mg....Nov5: 122 mg...Dec3:112.5 mg; Jan14, 2018: 95 mg...Jan28: 90 mg; Feb21:80 mg; Mar11: 75 mg; May2:70 mg; May15: 68 mg; May28: 65 mg; Jun9: 62 mg;Jun25: 60 mg:July22: 55 mg; Aug25: 45 mg. Aug28: 50 mg...Oct 28: 38 mg; Dec.4: 30 mg; Jan8,2019: 25mg; Feb6: 23.5 mg; Apr1:17.5mg; May1:1 mg; May 5: 18;  May 18:15mg; June 16:12.5mg; Sept 10:11 mg; Sept.16:10 mg; Oct. 1: 9mg; Nov. 27: 8mg; Dec.5: 7mg; Jan.1,2020, 6 mg; Feb1: 5 mg; May 1: 2.5 mg; Jn 1: 2 mg; Jy 1: 1.5 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

gloworm, I skimmed your post and couldn't figure out how to respond. Do you have questions that we can help with?

It's okay if you just needed to write out what's going on for you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

YES, I cant take this any longer .....I have a elevated heart rate and rage ever since off Prozac.  Doctors told me to get my anxiety under control ...all I do is obsess.  I went outside to pick a few weeds, got dizzy, heart rate was 200 .....I can't live like this.  When I was given the Prozac for the Klonopon Updose nightmare ....it calmed my brain right down like butter.

1) Am I in 2 Drug WD's ...Klonopin and Prozac

2) Cant I re-instate Prozac at a low dose ?  I cant function

3) has anyone ever had at results with Lithium Orotate ? I spoke with the "Lithium Doctor" guy on the phone....Dr, Millar .....He said it works

• Moderator Emeritus

First, adding a medication is very unlikely to help your situation.

Second, 'The Lithium "Doctor", ' is a doctor of chiropractic who sells lithium orotate supplements. His information and advice is unlikely to be objective or based on scientific research.  Advice from underinformed and misundereducated medical professionals is what got you into this situation. More of the same is unlikely to get you out of it.

The moderators are discussing your predicament. When we come up with a sensible next step for you to consider, we'll post it here or in your benzo topic.

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

I have SO MUCH anger/ rage IM feel like I am going to burst

• Moderator Emeritus
31 minutes ago, gloworm said:

I have SO MUCH anger/ rage IM feel like I am going to burst

Gloworm,

Breathe. Calm thoughts. Breathe. . . . 

Anger and rage are common during withdrawal and it's easy to feed into it. But this just makes it worse.

I'm going to post some links and as you are able, please read through them. There is a goldmine of information on this site, but it's important to not get overwhelmed. Just take it minute by minute. 

Neuro-emotions

Dealing with anger during SSRI withdrawal

Brassmonkey, another moderator, wrote about anger in his Emotional Spirals thread and it is one of the best articles on handling anger and rage and other overpowering emotions:

Dealing with Emotional Spirals

While it's true that withdrawal causes the anger and rage, as well as the knowledge that we have been horribly wronged by trusted doctors and the medical system, it's important that we take control over the situation. In the long run, we heal faster when we learn to self-soothe and calm ourselves.

After 30 years of being on these drugs, that can take some time and some work. But it's well worth it.

I also took psych drugs for 30 years and had to learn to process my emotions, including anger and grief, without drugs for the first time since I was a teenager. I also had to re-learn how to sleep, which is the ultimate "letting go" and requires a lot of work in learning to self-soothe.

Please read over the links I just posted. If you are too amped up to do that, please just read the first post on this thread:

"Change the channel" - dealing with cognitive symptoms

Go for a walk, find funny videos on YouTube, ride it out with ways that won't increase your systems. 

One of my favorite mindfulness teachers says, "Your thoughts are just visitors and you are NOT a hotel. Don't engage with those thoughts." That was the best advice I got during withdrawal and learning this has made my journey so much easier. 

Here's a very short 3 minute video to give your mind/body a bit of breathing space:

The Breathing Space by Jon Kabat Zinn - video

Please keep updating. And remember to breathe deeply. 

Edited by Shep

• Administrator

gloworm, did this symptom pattern start when you were off the benzo but still on Prozac?

Are you taking any other drugs now?

Do you have any Prozac left?

Do you really think that tachycardia and muscle wasting are part of your baseline psychiatric condition?

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

1)  I had some of the symptoms off the benzo but still on the Prozac but NOTHING like I have now, especially the tacharcardia and the breathing issues that has been since iff Prozac, the fatigue, insomnia, No good emotions, anhedonia , muscle wasting , numb limbs ....all since off prozac

2),  No other drugs

3) Yes,I have Prozac left In liquid form left

4)  I think the heart and muscle issues are from damaging my CNS from quitting the Prozac much to soon from the Klonopin

5) I don't seem to have tears now to cry ....like I'm dried up....emotionless

6) Akathisia type agitated restlessness

It is this rage - air hunger and ruminating fear that is causing me these issues .....I cant live like this ....I have monophobia really BAD ....

Edited by scallywag
remove underline for readability

• Administrator

You might try taking 0.5mg Prozac and see what that does. Be very cautious because your body might not react to the Prozac in a way you're used to. A little can go a long way.

You'd stabilize on this small amount of Prozac for some months, then taper off by very, very tiny amounts.

Please let us know how you're doing.

IF I did that ....I would start out on low low dose starting 2 mg. IF IT MADE ME FEEL WORSE could I Quit taking it CT without messing with my CNS again.  Everyone in the benzo group tells me this is Klonopin related ..IDK if its that or Prozac WD. This rage just gets worse and NOW I have terrible insomnia . What would be the time frame of being able to do this ?  Also the psychiatrist did offer me to take Lithium OROTATE as long as he could monitor me ....any thoughts on that ???

• Moderator Emeritus
3 hours ago, Altostrata said:

You might try taking 0.5mg Prozac and see what that does. Be very cautious because your body might not react to the Prozac in a way you're used to. A little can go a long way.

Note that Alto says 0.5mg - a lot less than your next idea of 2mg. 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

WOW ......can Someone clarify for me ............. 0.05 MG ......I thought Altostrata  was saying 5 MG ...how do you dose that small ? I was on 10 MG originally ....I thought a small dose would be like 2 MG ......

• Moderator Emeritus

Please see:

Tips for tapering off Prozac (fluoxetine)

You mentioned having liquid Prozac - there are instructions for how to taper the liquid formula in the first post in that thread so you will be able to get the .5 mg dose. 

The reason for such a small dose is your nervous system is hyper-sensitive after coming off Prozac and Klonopin. You can always increase the dose, but it's best to start with a very low amount. If your nervous system is very sensitive, that may be all it takes. 

Please also read:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms 

..5 is 1/2 MG CORRECT ????  Please excuse me but I am having AWFUL depression / panic and I don't understand well

thanks,

Lois

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, gloworm said:

..5 is 1/2 MG CORRECT ????  Please excuse me but I am having AWFUL depression / panic and I don't understand well

Yes, you are correct. .5 mg is 1/2 mg. 

This inner agitation / rage / obsessing is mental akathisia isn't it ?  IDK ....When my GP had upped my Klonopin from 1 x day to 3 I got this inner rage and couldn't watch tv or anything, they started me on the Prozac and it took it away.  Now that I am off Prozac I am awful with this ruminating / obsessing / fear / Intrusive thoughts ....I'm having panic thoughts all the time as I can't be alone.  Along with elevated heart, air hunger, numbness in my arms and hands when I lay down.  I want to explode.  My B12 labs came back and they are low at 314.....range is 200 - 1100.  Could it be that ?

This is why I wanted to re-instate the Prozac.......but what if it is from the Prozac ???? IDK any longer and I cant take this torture.

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, that does sound like akathisia. For a discussion on akathisia and different types of restlessness, see:

Akathisia vs restlessness, anxiety, agitation

Are you taking any supplements? B12 can cause anxiety and people going through withdrawal with a destabilized nervous system are more prone to this side effect of the supplement. Are you eating well? Because B12 supplements can increase anxiety, you may want to research increasing your B12  by eating certain foods:

Top 10 foods with vitamin B12

What do you think about trying the very small amount of Prozac as a reinstatement at 1/2 mg? 

I know it was Akathisia when my Klonopin was updosed but since being off Prozac this is relentless. 

1) Is this from Being off Prozac ?

2) If I re-instate Prozac will it make me worse ?

3) How will it go away if I'm on the drug ?

4) Can I CT the Prozac if it made me worse ?  If, does that set me back ?

5) I have all this adrenaline surging through my body mostly torso and arms, Is this part of akathisia or is this separate ?

6_ No I am not on supplements, took small piece of B12 and Panicked and spit it out

7) OR do I just have a severe case of Panic disorder with a major depression ??? ....I AM SO LOST AND FEEL DISTRAUGHT...I'm so sorry .....

• Moderator Emeritus
52 minutes ago, gloworm said:

1) Is this from Being off Prozac ?

2) If I re-instate Prozac will it make me worse ?

No one can tell you if it's from Prozac or if it's from Klonopin. The only way to know if reinstating the Prozac will work is to try it and see. It takes at least 4 - 7 days for your nervous system to even register the reinstatement and it could take a number of weeks for the full effect. So it may be worse upon reinstating until your nervous system adjusts.

3) How will it go away if I'm on the drug ?

The theory behind reinstating is that the akathisia (and any other symptom) is not from being on the drug but rather, from the removal of the drug, i.e. withdrawal. Your mind and body are dependent on the drug, which is why reinstating a small amount may help take the edge off the severe symptoms and then you can stabilize and slowly taper off. 

Please read:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

4) Can I CT the Prozac if it made me worse ?  If, does that set me back ?

We can't tell you this. Again, the only way to know if a reinstatement will work is to try it. This is why we suggested a small, 1/2 mg dose to start with. If it makes it worse after the 4 - 7 days, then simply stop taking it. 

5) I have all this adrenaline surging through my body mostly torso and arms, Is this part of akathisia or is this separate ?

This could be a combination of things, but it is a withdrawal symptom that is reported a lot on this site. This thread may be helpful:

Waking with panic or anxiety -- managing cortisol spikes

6_ No I am not on supplements, took small piece of B12 and Panicked and spit it out

It's good you're not on supplements. SA doesn't recommend supplements other than magnesium and Omega 3 (fish oil) which can be calming to people in withdrawal. Here is more information about these supplements. 

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

7) OR do I just have a severe case of Panic disorder with a major depression ??? ....I AM SO LOST AND FEEL DISTRAUGHT...I'm so sorry .....

Usually people report they have much more severe symptoms of panic and anxiety during withdrawal than they ever had before they went on these drugs.

I hope I've answered your questions. Now let me ask you some questions:

1.  Did you have any time after you came off Prozac and Klonopin when the anxiety and akathisia type symptoms weren't as severe? Are they getting worse?

2.  What non-drug coping skills are you using? I listed some in this post here and ChessieCat gave information on food issues in this post here

Are you able to use any of these non-drug coping techniques to reduce your symptoms? Can you take an epsom salt bath (if you aren't sensitive to magnesium)? Go for a short walk and sit in nature? Listen to a guided meditation? 

Edited by Shep

http://1.  Did you have any time after you came off Prozac and Klonopin when the anxiety and akathisia type symptoms weren't as severe? Are they getting worse?  

When I had the severe reaction from the Klonopin Up-dose the Prozac took that severe rage  agitation away on day 2 .  After a couple months I started a 2 year taper of the Klonopin that went well.  I had intense WD from the Klonopin and around month 6 or 7 It eased and I started the Prozac taper.  But even In the Klonopin WD it was nothing this bad.  This has really taxed my adrenals.  I now have elevated homocysteine, elevated heart rate, terrible air hunger , cortisol issues which I didn't have when I was on Prozac.

2.  What non-drug coping skills are you using? I listed some in this post here and ChessieCat gave information on food issues in this post here

I do mediation ect. ....breathing ect.  Nothing works .....its like my mind is addicted to negative.  I personalize everything in a very bad way....TV, talking with people, my dog,  bible ect. ......

When I came off the K I would do yard work ....cant do that now ....heart rate goes to 200 and dizzy.  I am in such a major depression .....this weird guilt over anything, past sins .....I go to therapy 2 x week.  Cognitive skills do not work in this nightmare.  Do any people actually NEED medication because I don't understand this at all.  Everyone is tired of me and tell me I am doing this to myself .  I now have food phobia's from those benzo support sites.

I have to say ....I'm in a MAJOR DEPRESSION .....MAJOR AND IT KEEPS GETTING WORSE.....the anxiety is off the charts ....I can not  continue like this ....I shake inside

hi Gloworm ,strong deap breathes ,witness your thoughts ,I'm having a bonkers day myself up and down moods at the flick of a switch ,I had my worst depression episode a while ago and I got through it and you will too ,don't doubt that .

peace and breathe .PB

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.