Withdrawal syndrome vs adrenal fatigue

angie007

• Moderator Emeritus

I've had this page open for a couple of days, wanting to post but not sure where to begin.  I recognize that "adrenal fatigue" is considered a pseudo-diagnosis to sell expensive supplements - but - I'll address that, too.  I was diagnosed with Stage iii Adrenal Fatigue by an orthomolecular MD.  Considering what I have been through with removal of thyroid and ovaries, "adrenal crisis" does fit what happened to me.  It is a long, slow, chronic struggle.  When asked by others I just say "Chronic Fatigue," because they understand it.  If I start saying "endocrine dysfunction" and "causes severe tendonitis and tendon vulnerability" I get blank looks.

I really do think that there is something about the drugs and withdrawal that really takes the endocrine system for a rollercoaster ride.

My own case is different, I had organs removed, throwing me into adrenal crisis.   While I was drugged, I consented to two operations (well, more operations, but only 2 that permanently removed organs):  hysterectomy and thyroidectomy.

My adrenal / thyroid crisis looks very much like fibromyalga, ME/Chronic Fatigue.  I can do things, I can go to City, or social events, or travel, but I pay a price like Chronic Fatigue (CFS), in that I crash, and cannot get up off the floor, sometimes for days.  I also have tendon, joint and muscle pain that seems to be related to how well my thyroid replacement (currently "natural dessicated thyroid) is working.  Things that can make me crash - too much exercise (especially cardio), stressful environments (like City), sometimes even a strong massage or physiotherapy session might shut me down for 3-5 days!  I had to quit physio because he didn't seem to understand that for me, inflammation is bad.  (he operates on the common principle that inflammation is healing - but this is not true in chronic inflammation conditions)

But I think that spikes - and valleys - in cortisol can be caused by the drugs and withdrawal.  

I have learned a lot about the adrenal glands since I started this journey, and I still don't understand it entirely.

I was told my my orthomolecular-doc not to take any hormones, that it would burn out my adrenals, but her way was nutritional (take the glandulars with the hormones removed, as recommended by the Expen$ive Doctor Wilson).  I was already supporting myself nutritionally with Vit C, magnesium, fish oil, and other minerals.

I got tired of paying $100 a bottle for "dehormonized bovine adrenal glandulars," and was stricken by the contrast between what my American Doctor recommended (DHEA) and my orthomolecular and Australian doctors opinions: DHEA is banned here as a "performance enhancing drug."  You can get it - by prescription, and doctors do not like prescribing it.  I started taking Pregnanolone, which is a precursor to several hormones, and can help my body to produce what I need to survive.

But I found that I can get natural glandulars from the USA.  I started with bovine adrenal (actually, I started with the Natural Dessicated Thyroid - NDT - from compounding chemist) which cost $10 a month instead of a hundred.  In it, is trace amounts of DHEA and other needed hormones.  This seemed to be a major turning point in my resiliance to stress.

Since then, I have added other glandulars:  liver, kidney, to support those organs as well.  When I talked to my doctor friend about glandulars, she said, "When I was fresh out of medical school, I thought that glandulars were totally worthless, of nominal value - but now I couldn't live without them!"  (she, too, suffers a chronic fatigue style condition - except that - she never took the drugs!)

Then there's the co-factors.  The B vitamins (B1, B2, B3, B6, B12, Inositol), C with bioflavinoids, magnesium, manganese, boron and kelp.  Ashwaganda, Bocopa, and sometimes (when I'm very tired) Rhodiola.  Aminos include NAC in the morning, Inositol and Taurine at night.

I've been reluctant to post this - because this adrenal regimen is not for people in withdrawal who are having symptoms.  Instead, it is for those who have been wiped and stuck on the floor for years with adrenal fatigue, exhaustion, or other adrenal dysregulation.

My protocol is more adrenal nourishing and mildly stimulating.  This protocol was developed by me, for me over time, with input from 2 doctors (my doctor-friend, and my orthomolecular MD), a naturopath, and a Western Herbalist.  

I started with one raw-food smoothie a week.  I am now up to two, as that is the easiest meal to make on an exercise night (yoga, karate), and replenishes my body faster than a sit-down meal would.  I take 2 magnesium baths a week.  (along with baking soda if my muscles are sore, or salt if my skin is irritated.  (my green smoothie includes "ancient grain" or pea protein, green and red nutrient powders, ginger, turmeric)

I have not eliminated caffeine and sugar, but have cut it way back.  Only one cup of coffee or tea per day, and if it is coffee, I "soften" the caffeine hit with coconut oil and grass-fed butter (bulletproof style, only I use less fat than they do).  Sugar is my big bug-bear, and maybe I would heal faster if I could just eliminate it entirely.  But I've easily cut it to 1/3 to 1/2 of what it was by watering my juices, and less sugar in my coffee.

Also important is my exercise program.  I started with just walking 10 minutes a day (in the sun, for mood - it was a conditional part of my psychiatrist's prescription - she would support my tapering, if I would make efforts to replace the drugs with other antidepressant activities).  Some days, I "crawled" that walk!  But I always felt better after doing it.   I walk up a hill every day.  I have walked up that hill nearly every day for 3 years now.  That hill was always hard to walk up.  After 3 years, it is slightly easier, but if I'm post-crash, or tired, it is still hard and slow to walk up. 

When I first started going to yoga, I could only do 1/3 of the class.  The up/down nature of the vinyasa sequences were extremely hard on my system, and my heart rate would get uncomfortable (even though it was only at 100-110 bpm, with average blood pressure), and I would breathe hard and have to wait to rejoin the group.  Now, 18 months later, I can go through the whole class, doing 90% of the poses.  I still have a lot of pain, and use a lot of props (and Australians don't understand how to use props), and they think I'm mad - but my yoga practice is good, and seems to be giving me regular communication with my body and what it needs.  And I do not crash from yoga anymore.

I did 6 months of tai chi and learned a "simple form" called "Tai Chi for Diabetes" by Paul Lam.  This is incredibly good for the endocrine & lymph system, and it was a social challenge, too, to go to a new place and meet new people.  I still do the form, along with the hip, balance, and shoulder chi gung, almost every day, to help control my pain.

I decided not to go back to that class because my tendonitis was well enough, and I found my old Sensei was holding karate training sessions - unadvertised - word of mouth only - at a nearby council building in a beautiful sacred park.  Surrounded by old trees and corroboree site, I practice my art - huffing and puffing and struggling with balance and control (lithium made my body "retarded.") - but practicing my art.  I can now survive the whole 1.5 hour class, and no crash at all!

I have challenged my limits nearly every step of this journey.  That doesn't mean I was working out daily, or doing heavy cardio.  I was only allowed to do what I could recover from in one day.  If the recovery took 3 days, that was too much, and I considered that a setback.

The latest things I am working on, is I started taking Glutathione / Vit C IV infusions.  I think the benefit is there enough to continue doing so around 2x a year. 

I am working on Christensen's "Adrenal Reset Diet" which is not a low carb diet (he claims that low carb can stress your cortisol, too, as you body thinks it is starving) - but instead it is timing when you eat your carbs.  Protein upon waking, carbs later in the day.    

It's wicked of me, but I like a carb "nightcap" as well to help me sleep.  Right now it is joint pain which awakens me, but I can usually get back to sleep.  I sleep in "sets" of 2-3 hours, sometimes 3 sets a night.

I have metabolic disorder (cholesterol, waistline, non-alcoholic fatty liver), and I see this as another effect of the endocrine dysfunction that I struggle with.  My endocrinologist seems to think I eat McDonalds every day or something.  He thinks that my 1 small serve of rice, 1 serve of bread, 1 serve of potato a week is "too much starch" (i.e., he wants me to go lower carb, but I think that is damaging and it certainly makes me angry to limit my diet that much!)

But in the last month - since starting the karate and 2 raw food smoothies, and coincidentally after my glutathione infusion (and recovering from a thyroid dosing accident), I'm starting to gain some ground.  It no longer feels like 3 steps forward, 2 steps back, and instead feels like tiny, baby steps forward with setbacks that I have some control over.  I have lost some weight, not significant yet, but it feels like a good trend.  I have also been working more towards the "Adrenal Reset Diet."  He calls it being a "carb mechanic" - there are always refinements to be made.

Additionally, I have a monthly spiritual practice which is keeping me on my toes, and constantly challenging my inner spiritual life, as well.  Amazingly, it seems to be becoming a community.

Two years ago I was convinced that, because of the drugs and the surgeries, combined with the decay of normal aging,  I was permanently damaged, and would only get more and more crippled and tired and bowed down.

Slowly, very slowly, I am starting to make progress, and wanted to report it here for others who may suffer from what I will call "adrenal struggles" in the long term.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• Moderator Emeritus

Also, I was recently reading an article about the Adrenal / Cortex connection.

This article calls it an "orchestra," and talks about how core work can directly reduce stress by improving this adrenal cortex connection.  He went after "why does yoga work," and came away realising that the better our core strength, the more improved our stress response is:

http://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2016/08/cortical-adrenal-orchestra/496679/

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

No More ADs. I am surprised that someone who is in WD would post something negative about AF. Just because doctors don't recognize it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Even the tests they use for cortisol in medicine do not show the accurate picture. My cortisol is extremely low in the AM and depressed the rest of the day and normal after 10 PM. A 24 urine test from my Dr showed I'm fine (which I'm not) but the saliva test I ordered online taken 4 times during the day show I'm in severe adrenal fatigue. You can be in WD and AF at the same time. AF is caused by stress. In WD we are stressed. With AF we need to heal our gut. In fatigued WD states we try she do the same. What we usually don't have is adrenal insuffiency as that is usually a thyroid issue. Yes, I agree that there are a lot of people cashing in on AF. But it's real. I haven't heard anyone outside of the medical profession say it isn't.

Lexapro: started in 2002 at 10 mgs.

Ambien: started as a as needed sleep aid in 2010.

Quit Lexapro cold turkey in June 20015 due to contributing to low sodium issues.

Restarted Lexapro in late November for a week (only 5 mgs) but quit due to dizziness side effects. Side effects worsened for 3 weeks until

12/24/15: Protracted WD hit, experienced extreme anxiety, insomnia lack of full concentration and social challenges.

Reinstated Lexapro on 1/1/16 at 5 mgs. Increased per Dr to 7.5 MG. Tapered off Lexapro in March 2016.

Started 50MG of Seroquel in late January 2016 for bedtime to help in eliminate Ambien. Tapered off both Seroquel and Ambien in March 2016.

2/14/16: Prescribed both Remeron (15 MG) and Temazapam (15 MG) for sleep. Also use Klonopin and Ambien again in place of Temazapam to avoid addiction. However I did take Temazapam 60 straight days

6/15/16: Stopped use of all benzo's and now use Belsomra 1-2 times a week. Still on 15 MG of Remeron

10/11/16: Off all psych medications

After kindling, trying to regain my strength suffering from severe mental and physical fatigue.

This is what I'm suffering from, the reason why my potassium levels are low in my kidneys and protein in my urine is because my adrenals are failing. I know my cortisol is low because I can barely feel my heart beat and I don't have panick attacks anymore. Hopefully the docs won't put me on hrt stuff :(

Started Fluoxetine 40mg In 2010

Switched to citalopram 2011.Fluoxetine made me very drowsy.

Came off citalopram 2014 over 2 weeks tapering as advised by GP. Mild WD symptoms, brain zaps.

Almost 2 years med free, happy and less anxiety.

June 2016 start 20mg citalopram for anxiety, experince akathisa, intrusive harming thoughts, hallucinations, hypermania, negative ruminations, insomnia, no appetite, dioreah, racing thoughts/mind chatter.

Droped to 10mg for 1 week after 10 days on 20mg, then 1 week at 15mg by alternating doses then 1 week at 20mg before dropping to 10mg again for 1 week then 5 days at 5mg. Quick taper due to reaction.

Started .5mg lorozepam/ 2.5mg diazepam every other day from week 2 on cit sometimes daily for about 2 weeks stopped CT as was put on 25mg quetiapine.

Stopped cit 01/8/16. Stopped quetiapine 3/8/16

Taking fish oil

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

No More ADs. I am surprised that someone who is in WD would post something negative about AF. Just because doctors don't recognize it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Even the tests they use for cortisol in medicine do not show the accurate picture. My cortisol is extremely low in the AM and depressed the rest of the day and normal after 10 PM. A 24 urine test from my Dr showed I'm fine (which I'm not) but the saliva test I ordered online taken 4 times during the day show I'm in severe adrenal fatigue. You can be in WD and AF at the same time. AF is caused by stress. In WD we are stressed. With AF we need to heal our gut. In fatigued WD states we try she do the same. What we usually don't have is adrenal insuffiency as that is usually a thyroid issue. Yes, I agree that there are a lot of people cashing in on AF. But it's real. I haven't heard anyone outside of the medical profession say it isn't.

Well, there are people cashing in on every aspect of health and illness, mental and otherwise. That doesn't prove that something exists or doesn't.

Withdrawal would absolutely contribute to adrenal fatigue, due to the immense stress on the system, like you said. 

Doctors don't recognize withdrawal; they don't tell you about magnesium; they won't usually test you for adrenal fatigue.

I usually feel better after 8pm; I know there are many factors, but maybe my cortisol is more normal by that point? 

For a while I was on a chaotic regimen of supplements for calming the adrenals. I didn't notice a difference so I stopped them; I think in acute WD it is just too much on the system to take a bunch of supplements, anyway, which I have found many people saying here. 

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

"Doctors don't recognise withdrawal"? - Yes, they do, they just don't call it that. They prefer discontinuation syndrome because AD aren't "addictive" as such. And "Just because doctors don't recognise it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist" - ah, actually it does. There's a whole slew of "conditions" that are diagnosed by "alternative practitioners" that aren't recognised by the medical profession - because there is no solid evidence to prove it. 

2012 - Started on 50mg Pristiq 2013 - Increased to 100mg Pristiq in 2012 under Drs orders 

2013 - 2016 Decreased to 50mg Prisiq and increased to 100mg Pristiq as I felt was required. No major withdrawal symptoms noticed.

August 24th 2016 Started tapering from 50mg Pristiq last week, started 3 day washout as doctor wanted me to change to Prozac

Horrible withdrawals from Day 2 - night sweats, nightmares, foggy head, headaches, brain zaps

August 26th 2016 Decided to start tapering of AD altogether instead of switching to Prozac.

Got 25mg of Pristiq compounded. Some withdrawals the first three days but has stabilised as of day 4.

Plan is to taper by 5mg per month if tolerated. If not, will revert to 10% per month formula.

September 24th 2016 - Next taper, down 5mg to 20mg for a month. Pattern seems to be ok on first day of taper, totally rubbish (exhausted, brain zaps, visual processing changes) the next day, a bit rubbish day 3 and then stabilise. Will watch for this pattern in the next taper. Some night sweats two weeks in. Next taper in two weeks. 

October 21st, 2016 - Horrendous fatigue for the last two weeks. Debilitating up to the point of sleeping every day and being physically unable to get out of bed. Pretty concerned about next taper beginning this weekend due to this fatigue. 

October 24th 2016 - Started next taper, down 5mg to 15mg for a month. First day good, second day better than previous month. 

November 27th 2016 - Decided to go cold turkey to 0mg in an effort to be well before the start of uni in Jan 2017. Have been struggling with fatigue, sensory changes (auras etc.) hair-trigger neuro-emotions and general feelings of unwellness. I would not recommend this course of action. 

• Moderator Emeritus

You are fortunate--maybe it is different where you live. Doctors recognize a very time-limited version of "discontinuation," when people here on AD have WD for months and years.

You sound like you have your mind made up -- I'm not going to waste time arguing. I wish I was as trustful of the medical profession and their allies who have led most of us to the situation we now find ourselves in. 

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

In withdrawal , Cortisol is high therefore adrenal output is low ( as is thyroid function ) As we start to lower cortisol through stress relief - chemically, physically and environmentally the problem should start to correct itself naturally of it's own accord. It can take time but the body is always trying to heal itself and reach homeostasis. Given time and ideal conditions ( no toxicity or deficiency ) adrenal fatigue should start to improve .

Ideal conditions being  :   no toxic drugs / food/ chemicals or poisons. In a poisonous world -  that's probably not going to happen easily so it's a matter of "damage control ". Do what you can. Organic produce is ideal . Fruits and vegetables are nature's healers. It's about fixing the " whole ". We have been damaged and therefore need to bypass the " medical model " and heal ourselves naturally  through a whole food plant based diet, exercise, sunlight, prayer and meditation. IMHO.     

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Thanks AliG for your encouraging post.  It is easy to get caught up in feeling so fatigued and get depressed and want to give up.  You have reminded me that it will improve with time, and to keep on going!  I just got my jig saw puzzle out and doing that and that keeps my mind occupied in the meantime!

1995-2007      20mg Aropax/Paxil for pain.  Years of up and down doses

2008                Endep, Lexapro and then Esipram (hell!) CT (oh dear!)

2009                20mg Aropax.  Tried skipping doses for a year (more hell!)

2010                10mg.  10% taper.  Lasted 4 months. Crashed again

2011                5% taper. 9mg-7mg (hell got even worse!)

2012                2.5% taper.  6.6mg – 5.6mg (worser still & unbearable)

2013                5% taper.  Big mistake.  5.5mg – 4.6mg  (even worserer)

2014                2.5% taper.  4.9mg – 4.5mg;    2015 2.5% taper 4.4 - 4.0mg

2016                2.5% taper.  3.9mg  Feb 3.8   Mar 3.7  May 3.6   Jul 3.5

2017                2.5% taper.  Jan 3.4;   Mar 3.35;  Apr 3.3; Oct 3; Dec 2.9;

2018                2.5% taper. Jan 2.8; Mar 2.7; Mar: 2.75; Jun 2.7; Aug 2.6; Oct 2.5; Nov 2.4; Dec 2.3

2019                Jan 2.2; Feb 2.1;

• 3 weeks later...

And since when is this site SO medically oriented?

Wasn't it "medical science" bs that concocted the chemical Imbalance?

Adrenal fatigue does exist. After hospitalization to try a drug washout that was done over just 2 weeks (stupid a holes...), my 4 times per day saliva cortisol showed > 100 all periods.

Aftee some good Seriphos, a PhosphatidylSerine, my cortisol went down and I then agreed to do withdrawal the normal way.

The cortisol test was a life savor and necessary.

I still have vad withdrawal snd finally at wits end, I'm going to take another salivary/dhea test.

Good luck guys

Latest med schedule and withdrawal (05/17/17):

Seroquel On 125mg 10/28/16 (now, 125 mg), (9/2017, 200mg)

Cymbalta On 27mg 10/28/16 (now, 27 mg), (9/2017, 90mg)

Viibryd On 10mg 10/28/16 (now, 10 mg), (9/2017, 20mg)

Klonopin On 2.5 Start 10/28/16 (now 1.5 night, 1 Morning), (9/2017 1.5 night, 1 morning, .5 midday, total 3mg)

Diovan 160mg On 10/28/16 (now 160mg)

Norvasc On 10mg 10/28/16 (now 0), (1/2017 10mg)

Cytomel (T3 for thyroid) on 11/2017 25mcg

• 3 years later...

Resurrecting this old topic! @Altostrata you make so many good points in the differences between withdrawal and “adrenal fatigue”. I will admit that back in the spring when I was frequently experiencing crashes I also thought I had HPA axis dysfunction. As time goes on though I think I can see that’s they’re two separate medical issues. My question is, can SSRI withdrawal cause HPA axis dysfunction? I’m experiencing/have experienced hair loss, hypoglycemic episodes, shortened menstrual cycles, and no hunger or fullness cues. These are all endocrine system issues. Is it possible to have a hormonal imbalance and not have HPA axis dysfunction?

1/21 Prescribed 3mg Lorazepam/ day. Fell dependent in 10 days. Attempted 2 CTs before getting smart and tapering over 10 months- .0625mg drop every 3-5 weeks. 
2/21 Prescribed 20mg Prozac/ day. 
11/21 Finally tapered off Lorazepam

1/22 unsuccessful Prozac taper (skipping days)

2/22 Reinstated at 20mg daily

5/22 Switch to liquid Prozac

6/22 Begin Prozac taper of .08mg every couple weeks

10/22 Finally tapered off Prozac. 3 AWFUL days of depression and sickness, then feel fabulous for a couple months. 
12/22 Begin windows and waves of depression, panic and hopelessness

6/23 Symptoms stopped worsening but are still present 

9/23 Having more good days than bad, symptoms drastically lessening

• Administrator
4 hours ago, CookiePretzel said:

My question is, can SSRI withdrawal cause HPA axis dysfunction?

I don't know. Maybe.

4 hours ago, CookiePretzel said:

Is it possible to have a hormonal imbalance and not have HPA axis dysfunction?

You'll have to ask an endocrinologist about this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

When it comes to taking or withdrawing psychotropic drugs, I would not rule anything out. Hormone balances are overlooked and too often, women especially, are stuck on psychotropic drugs instead. Many people with endocrine issues were ignored for years and stuck on psychotropics before being formally diagnosed with an endocrine issues. 

I’d say to was possible. So is anything. 

2018 April: Reinstated Paroxetine 20mg and Carbamazepine Prolonged Release 400mg (200mg morning and night) after abrupt withdrawal of 6 months (lots of on off AD and other drugs use for years prior to this this).

2018 August: Began slow taper of Paroxetine. At 10mg severe headaches began, switched to 10mg Fluoxetine. Cont. on Carbamazepine Prolonged Release 400mg (200mg morning and night). Occasional but over recommended dose use of sleeping tablet.

2018 - 2023: ‘Stable’ on Fluoxetine 10mg and Carbamazepine Prolonged Release 400mg (200mg morning and night). Cont. but over recommended dose use of sleeping tablet, switched sleeping tablet to manage addiction and achieve sleep. Began very occasional use of benzodiazepines by 2020 (eg. 2 dose of 10mg in a 9 month period, varies according to need and some months can be more). Cont. headaches, developed anxiety and other body pains. 
2023 (February) - Rapid 4 week taper in February from Carbamazepine Prolonged Release 400mg (200mg morning and night) to nil (mistakenly!).

2023 (March to present) - very infrequent use of sleeping tablets and benzodiazepines, diagnosed with hypothyroidism (April ish) and currently treated with Levothyroxine (final dose yet to be determined), began taper of Fluoxetine 10mg (June) currently on 8mg of fluoxetine. 
Also, still invariably take CBD oil, multiple vitamins and minerals including Omega 3, iron etc. Adjusted as needed. 

Note - Throughout the above years I have been an inpatient and outpatient with decisions made for me regarding drugs inc. abrupt withdrawals. Some were planned by me when unaware of withdrawal affects. Others while I was ‘unwell’ and began by unwittingly missing doses. Like many of us I have experienced many ‘symptoms’ on and off the drugs. Above, I have tried to share my main complaints and history as best as I can and remember.

My full drug history can be found in my opening post 

WeLiveInHope

——————————————————

My words are based on my personal experiences and do not constitute medical advice or recommendations, except this: whatever any one else says, from medics to other patients, however informed, listen to your body as the human condition is always evolving, and in turn so is our knowledge on its limitations and capabilities. 

I am investigated for dysautonomic dysfunction and have many symptoms that are consistent with this. Indeed as @WeLiveInHope mentioned the interaction between the endocrine system, autonomic nervous system, and AD altering of the central nervous system (therefore, as a consequence of all other systems overlooked by it) is very complex, and changes are inevitable. Once posed with such levels of multi-systemic adaptation, the organism is very likely to destabilise and constantly lack homeostasis. I am not a medical professional but it makes a lot of sense from what I have learned from my medical history and research. It is unfortunate that untangling everything at any given point becomes so incredibly hard and causation is impossible to achieve. This is why following the advice here and focusing on lifestyle changes is so important so the recovery is tackled holistically. I think this is an overlooked issue but I hope research will get there. Especially as ADs have been so generously prescribed for conditions related to dysautonomia. 

2002 started Fluoxetine 20 ; increased gradually  to 40mg 

2004 diagnosed with ADD; prescribed methylphenidate

2004 later in the year  methylphenidate aggravated depression so discontinued   

2006 tried to taper  too quick from AD ( over 3 weeks!) and terrible WD; 

2006 later in the year doc changed to Citalopram (dont remember doze)

2009 (circa)  as Citalopram did nothing good so  back to 40 mg Fluoxetine 

2017 due to situational anxiety Pregablin prescribed terrible side effects 

201 8 tried again to taper fluoxetine 40 mg with   tough WD so back on it 

2020 changed to Escitalopram 20mg as no + effect of fluoxetine 

May 2023 prescribed Modafinil as fatigue intolerable

mid July 2023 started tapering - down to 18 mg daily so far so good 

5 hours ago, Jools2816 said:

I am investigated for dysautonomic dysfunction and have many symptoms that are consistent with this. Indeed as @WeLiveInHope mentioned the interaction between the endocrine system, autonomic nervous system, and AD altering of the central nervous system (therefore, as a consequence of all other systems overlooked by it) is very complex, and changes are inevitable. Once posed with such levels of multi-systemic adaptation, the organism is very likely to destabilise and constantly lack homeostasis. I am not a medical professional but it makes a lot of sense from what I have learned from my medical history and research. It is unfortunate that untangling everything at any given point becomes so incredibly hard and causation is impossible to achieve. This is why following the advice here and focusing on lifestyle changes is so important so the recovery is tackled holistically. I think this is an overlooked issue but I hope research will get there. Especially as ADs have been so generously prescribed for conditions related to dysautonomia. 

That’s the issue. It’s serves big pharma, and all the other organisations complicit to keep prescribing ADs for everything under the sun rather than face the possible consequences from taking any accountability over this global sh&& storm that they have created. 

2018 April: Reinstated Paroxetine 20mg and Carbamazepine Prolonged Release 400mg (200mg morning and night) after abrupt withdrawal of 6 months (lots of on off AD and other drugs use for years prior to this this).

2018 August: Began slow taper of Paroxetine. At 10mg severe headaches began, switched to 10mg Fluoxetine. Cont. on Carbamazepine Prolonged Release 400mg (200mg morning and night). Occasional but over recommended dose use of sleeping tablet.

2018 - 2023: ‘Stable’ on Fluoxetine 10mg and Carbamazepine Prolonged Release 400mg (200mg morning and night). Cont. but over recommended dose use of sleeping tablet, switched sleeping tablet to manage addiction and achieve sleep. Began very occasional use of benzodiazepines by 2020 (eg. 2 dose of 10mg in a 9 month period, varies according to need and some months can be more). Cont. headaches, developed anxiety and other body pains. 
2023 (February) - Rapid 4 week taper in February from Carbamazepine Prolonged Release 400mg (200mg morning and night) to nil (mistakenly!).

2023 (March to present) - very infrequent use of sleeping tablets and benzodiazepines, diagnosed with hypothyroidism (April ish) and currently treated with Levothyroxine (final dose yet to be determined), began taper of Fluoxetine 10mg (June) currently on 8mg of fluoxetine. 
Also, still invariably take CBD oil, multiple vitamins and minerals including Omega 3, iron etc. Adjusted as needed. 

Note - Throughout the above years I have been an inpatient and outpatient with decisions made for me regarding drugs inc. abrupt withdrawals. Some were planned by me when unaware of withdrawal affects. Others while I was ‘unwell’ and began by unwittingly missing doses. Like many of us I have experienced many ‘symptoms’ on and off the drugs. Above, I have tried to share my main complaints and history as best as I can and remember.

My full drug history can be found in my opening post 

WeLiveInHope

——————————————————

My words are based on my personal experiences and do not constitute medical advice or recommendations, except this: whatever any one else says, from medics to other patients, however informed, listen to your body as the human condition is always evolving, and in turn so is our knowledge on its limitations and capabilities. 

• 4 months later...

Has anyone here with adrenal fatigue (confirmed by cortisol testing) had success with treating low cortisol while also actively tapering? 

I had cortisol testing done and it all came back low, so naturopathic doc recommended some supplements for me to try. But I’m scared to take them as my nervous system has been so sensitized by stress and withdrawal (despite tapering very slowly). However I’m desperate for some sort of relief from the exhaustion and inability to cope with daily stressors. 

2013-2015: paroxetine, with brief switch to sertraline, and brief combo with bupropion  • 2015: got off all antidepressant meds for approx 9-12 months, felt great 2015: fluoxetine, bad side effects, quit after two weeks 2015: escitalopram 15mg/day Summer 2019: attempted fast taper off escitalopram, reinstated to 15mg/day dose after six weeks • October 16, 2020: begin taper off escitalopram at rate of 1mg per 1 week (sometimes per 2 weeks) using 1mg/ml liquid from pharmacy • Jan 22, 2021: down to 3mg and holding due to worsening of WD symptoms • Feb 4, 2021: updose to 4mg holding • Feb 2021: tapering at 10% every 28 days Jul 2021: begin using microtaper of 2.5% per week Feb 2022: down to 1.43mg and experiencing worsening WD symptoms, updose to 1.45mg and holding • Mar 2022: resume microtaper schedule, lowest dose: 1.34 mg • Mar 2022: extended hold at 1.36 mg •Jul 2022: resume 10% taper • Apr 2-Jun 21, 2023 extended hold at 0.5mg • Jun 9, 2023 massive life stress situation triggered WD wave, Jun 15-16 took 5mg dose, Jun 17-21 back to 0.5mg dose • Jun 22 small updose to 0.58mg • Jul 1-2 tried 2.5mg, suffered adverse affects (anxiety, can’t eat, palpitations, electric jolts in chest) • Jul 1, 2023 - Jan 3, 2024 long hold at 1mg, slowly stabilizing after crash • Jan 4 resume taper  0.98mg Jan 11 0.95mg 

Supplements: vitamin D3 with K2, vitamin C, iron, magnesium glycinate, EPA/DHA essentials fish oil, melatonin(as needed)

Other prescription meds: levothyroxine 75 mcg (for hypothyroidism), lorazepam 0.25 to 0.5mg (as needed, which is almost never), zofran 2 to 4mg (as needed) 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy