SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Migraine, headache, neck ache / pain and head pressure

squirrel

i suffer from really bad headaches like someone has taken an axe to my skull! they can last for several hours and then just go without the help of any painkillers. anyone else suffer from these?

Started Seroxat(Paxil) for panic attacks in 1997 stopped the drug in 2005 tapered over 3 months ( doctors advice)

Suffered severe and protracted withdrawl ever since.

No other medication taken.

i have ophthalmic migraines whitout pain, Summer has headaches, she often spoke about,

i know someone who never been on drugs and has regular migraines (= headaches)

for anxiety 

12 years paxil - cold turkey 1,5 month - switch celexa 1 year taper; total 13 years on brain meds 

67 years old - 9 years  med free

in protracted withdrawal

rigidity standing and walking, dryness gougerot-szoegren, sleep deteriorate,

function as have a lack of nerves, improving have been very little 

In the last 48 hours I have had really severe headaches. In my case I link them to WD in 99.99%. Never had those prior to it, and not even when on the drugs.

2000-2008 Paxil for a situational depression

2008 - Paxil c/t

Severe protracted WD syndrome ever since; improving

“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once”

Albert Einstein

"Add signature to your profile. This way we can help you even better!"

Surviving Antidepressants ;)

And, above all, ... keep walking. Just keep walking.

I know we can all get headaches sometimes but these I have never had before and they are really severe and as I said they come and can last for hours then go again without having to take painkillers.

Started Seroxat(Paxil) for panic attacks in 1997 stopped the drug in 2005 tapered over 3 months ( doctors advice)

I know we can all get headaches sometimes but these I have never had before and they are really severe and as I said they come and can last for hours then go again without having to take painkillers.

Hi Squirrel... yes, yes and yes... headaches are awful! Although I've been bothered with headaches it seems forever, they seem to be more frequent now. You are so fortunate that they go away without taking any type of pain killer. Mine have been so severe at times that I've resorted to taking Vicodin. I wake with a headache... rarely get a headache during the day. I finally figured out the best thing for me is Advil... when it's really bad I take three and try to rest. Several hours later I take two more and so on. As I said, you are lucky your headaches just go away. Mine don't go away until I've had a nite's sleep.

If you decide to take anything at all, be sure to eat something first... like a banana or yogurt - something to coat your stomach so to speak. You might try a cold compress. Also, if you are able to handle caffeine, try drinking a cup of black coffee. That sometimes helps.

Charter Member 2011

• 1 month later...

Hi Squirrel,

Yes i get headaches too, not severe, usually a couple of paracetemol will ease them or

see them off.

But i also get random pain in the head too, unrelatred to headaches /migraines,

sometimes in the back of my head, sometimes in the side or temple area.

Anyone else experience this too???????

Began taking 30mg Seroxat on 15th Jan 1997 for grief issues. Remained at that dosage until Dec 05, did doctor ct, akathesia set in along with being non functional and overly emotional, brain fog. Doctor prescribed prozac, propranelol and diazeapam to counteract side effects, and told me to ct those 3 after 2.5/3 months use, induced wd seizure on 2nd day after ct. Was reinstated on seroxat 20mg in april 06, remained at that dose until Nov 07 and began a very slow taper lasting 56 months, finally DRUG FREE on 11th may 2011.

i suffer from really bad headaches like someone has taken an axe to my skull! they can last for several hours and then just go without the help of any painkillers. anyone else suffer from these?

Yes, experience the same during WD. The headaches are not as severe anymore nor are they as frequent or painful.

During the worse of WD, I incurred excruciating headaches that would last for 5 days straight. The number "5" became the common WD headache cycle for me.

I was unable to take any NSAIDS since, they would set off my CNS too badly, so I had to endure the pain.

Then came the spells where I would wake up with severe headaches but they would remit on their own, hours later.

Other times, these horrid morning headaches would disappear within ONE hour.

I do incur far fewer headaches at this stage of WD. (2 year mark)

Punar

To Face My Trials with "The Grace of a Woman Rather Than the Grief of a Child". (quote section by Veronica A. Shoffstall)

Be Not Afraid of Growing Slowly. Be Afraid of Only Standing Still.

(Chinese Proverb)

I Create and Build Empowerment Within Each Time I Choose to Face A Fear, Sit with it and Ask Myself, "What Do I Need to Learn?"

Hi Squirrel,

Yes i get headaches too, not severe, usually a couple of paracetemol will ease them or

see them off.

But i also get random pain in the head too, unrelatred to headaches /migraines,

sometimes in the back of my head, sometimes in the side or temple area.

Anyone else experience this too???????

Yes, to this post as well. A variety of random head pains occur, aside from the headaches and migraines.

I used to get this severe jabbing pain in the right side of my skull that felt as if an ice pick was being stabbed into my head. It would only last for seconds at a time, but very painful.

Sense of pressure as well. Pressure spots/points and or tight band effect around the head. Also varying degrees of inner head pressure, not to mention scalp sensations such as shivers. I even had very bad crawly sensations.............could feel my hair strands being lifted at the roots ........feeling as if bugs were crawling on my head.

Some people will incur only one or two of these head/scalp sensations yet others will experience many.

These are all WD induced sensations. Over time they will lessen in intensity and/or in frequency.

Punar

To Face My Trials with "The Grace of a Woman Rather Than the Grief of a Child". (quote section by Veronica A. Shoffstall)

(Chinese Proverb)

I Create and Build Empowerment Within Each Time I Choose to Face A Fear, Sit with it and Ask Myself, "What Do I Need to Learn?"

Hi Squirrel... yes, yes and yes... headaches are awful! Although I've been bothered with headaches it seems forever, they seem to be more frequent now. You are so fortunate that they go away without taking any type of pain killer. Mine have been so severe at times that I've resorted to taking Vicodin. I wake with a headache... rarely get a headache during the day. I finally figured out the best thing for me is Advil... when it's really bad I take three and try to rest. Several hours later I take two more and so on. As I said, you are lucky your headaches just go away. Mine don't go away until I've had a nite's sleep.

If you decide to take anything at all, be sure to eat something first... like a banana or yogurt - something to coat your stomach so to speak. You might try a cold compress. Also, if you are able to handle caffeine, try drinking a cup of black coffee. That sometimes helps.

So sorry about the excruciating headaches Summer, however, glad you're able to tolerate medication to obtain some relief. Regardless, the intensity of pain is indeed horrible and even worse when they don't let up.

Do you find that they have a cycle? As I mentioned, my WD induced headaches would last for 5 days straight and then disappear on their own. Oh, I just thought of another point...........as I recovered a bit more the 5 day cycles became 3 day cycles.

BTW, good advice in your last paragraph. So important to protect the stomach. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to consume coffee, tea, colas or anything with caffeine during WD states since, they high-jack my CNS. due to a rapid taper and severe tolerance WD.

If you continue to taper slowly you'll be able to utilize the various forms of intervention that provide you with some degree of relief.

With that said, coffee does help some people with headaches.

Punar

(Chinese Proverb)

• 2 months later...

A new day, new symptoms...so to speak.

Does anyone of you also have problems with your neck? Besides some weird pains that move around, I now have the problem that I cannot move my head to the left. When I do it my complete left side starts hurting. I never had any serious problems with my neck before taking the pills, though I have some anomalies (a block vertreba of the neck). Can such problems stem from wd?

At the beginning of wd, i had one night where my neck became unbelievable stiff, so I had to put my head down on the floor, because I could not "hold" it anymore. So the remedy surely did something to my neck, didn't it?

I also have a pain when I move my eyes. Guess that cannot come from the neck.

Edited by ChessieCat
merged from: neck problems

End of 2008: Remeron 15mg for around 2 months. Unorthodox taper, no problems.
End of August 2009: Lexapro 10mg for only 4 days. Panic attack after 3 pills. Severe gastro problems in the morning for 3 days after last pill. 2 weeks later strong w/d symptoms set in.

Acute WD lasted around 3.5 years. I am feeling much better today, 5.5 years out, but still have some symptoms left.

Hi Mabey,

I have this pain/stiffness in my neck since the beginning of withdrawal.

During the first two years i hardly could hold up my whole upper body.And my head felt so heavy...

lg solida

Edited by ChessieCat

Sept.2007 Citalopram for burn out,reverse reaction

Paroxetin 20mg,5 weeks,had to stop because of reverse reaction

after a manic episode,severe withdrawal hit after 6 weeks,

hospitalization twice,during the first 2 years withdrawal got worse and worse

disabled since

Hey Solida,

the symptoms got much better now. So I think it is withdrawl and does have anything to do with my neck . If it were my neck, I guess it wouldn't change if I did nothing to ease it.

Edited by ChessieCat

End of August 2009: Lexapro 10mg for only 4 days. Panic attack after 3 pills. Severe gastro problems in the morning for 3 days after last pill. 2 weeks later strong w/d symptoms set in.

Acute WD lasted around 3.5 years. I am feeling much better today, 5.5 years out, but still have some symptoms left.

hi,

i also have new symptoms every day,i had neck rigidity and burning, it has lessened much, actually i have low back pain i never had, and of course many other happiness, each day is different from yesterday, i have difficult to assess my improvements;

i am glad you are better,

keep in mind withdrawal can affect all in body, i also sometime answer myself if what i feel is withdrawal? until yet it was all withdrawal.

Edited by ChessieCat

for anxiety 

12 years paxil - cold turkey 1,5 month - switch celexa 1 year taper; total 13 years on brain meds 

67 years old - 9 years  med free

in protracted withdrawal

rigidity standing and walking, dryness gougerot-szoegren, sleep deteriorate,

function as have a lack of nerves, improving have been very little 

Hello Stan,

I just do not understand how it works. What have 4 pills (as an example) done to my body, that so many different symptoms pop up over the course of two years? I just do not understand it. Do those 4 pills alter my (epi-)genetics, so that functions have to return to normal over such a long time? Is it a unbalanced (not chemically) nervous system? It is so hard to comprehend.

And what is the differnce between an adverse reaction and those who used the drugs for a much longer time?

Edited by ChessieCat

Thank you Stan for writing about your lower back pain, sorry you have it too,

but i always said it was wd??????? just medics do not believe me.

Edited by ChessieCat

Began taking 30mg Seroxat on 15th Jan 1997 for grief issues. Remained at that dosage until Dec 05, did doctor ct, akathesia set in along with being non functional and overly emotional, brain fog. Doctor prescribed prozac, propranelol and diazeapam to counteract side effects, and told me to ct those 3 after 2.5/3 months use, induced wd seizure on 2nd day after ct. Was reinstated on seroxat 20mg in april 06, remained at that dose until Nov 07 and began a very slow taper lasting 56 months, finally DRUG FREE on 11th may 2011.

Maybe~

You stated my confoundment (is that a word?) so well. It's mindboggling to think of how many people are being adversely effected and aren't aware of it. Then...EPIgenetics...how might this be effecting the future generations thru gene alterations. I think that's the gist of epigenetics. 'scuse me if I'm off base.

Recently heard a veterinarian speak about abuse/trauma to horses causing gene mutations. Exact mechanism unknown, but thought to be increased cortisol over time and, of course, passing on to offspring. Related to Cushings, metabolic syndrome, laminitis in equines. Research in veterinary medicine sometimes seems more advanced than human med.

Edited by ChessieCat

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

I've had neck issues since starting SSRIs in '93, but attributed to repetitive trauma/carrying heavy bag on strap over shoulder. Later learned SSRIs DO cause bruxism. I had horrible TMJ/D, chronic pain that eventually landed me on disability. You'd be amazed (or not!) at how many MDs have no idea that the neck and jaw are connected. At the time, clenching/grinding teeth was 'all stress related' esp in women {{{GRRRR}}}}

I recall a young woman who developed torticollis (sic) when treated for bipolar, I believe. It was late '90s when AAPs were new and I don't recall what she was on, but i believe doc thought torticollis was DA related.

Also related to some endocrine disorders, altho the exact cause is escaping me. And being that ADs are hormone disrupters...

What a tangled web.

Edited by ChessieCat

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Now i have burning tingling scalp and head pain moving from one place to another but mainly my right side with dry eyes. Is this also a w/d symptom ?

Hello Soso,

Yes, it is. If the symptoms are "weird" the chance is extremly high, that it is wd related. All the symptoms i had in the past 2 years were stemming from withdrawl.

I also have the burning headaches I think I have posted about them.

I get burning type headaches almost every day if I exert myself, but not like you describe I don't think... I seem to feel it not on my scalp, but inside, and all over at once...

Still, it seems to me like a lot of what I feel (skin, sensations, muscle aches etc.) has a burned type feeling to it. Maybe it's electrical nervous system activity? I was trying to think of what it was like in general... and I thought it's kind of like when you burn your tongue, and afterwards it's sensitive and has blunted feeling at the same time... so that anything you taste has a frayed burned sensation to it. I don't know if that makes any sense, but that feeling seems to pervade everything I experience, in varying degrees. It is correlated to how bad I feel on a certain day, and how tired I am.

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

Aside from nervous system issues, a lot of our neck/back pain could be related to tension, plain and simple. The last few days, for example, I've had lower back and neck pain. It's not really new to me because I've had it since I started going to this chiropractor who tried to fix other stuff, but now it's back. I thought I had beat it with pilates in the last few months, but I guess not completely. I think it makes sense that it is a byproduct of not getting good sleep and anxiety. I've noticed my muscles get really stiff, and then when they start to relax they feel really tender... Our sense of pain is probably also exaggerated in withdrawal also.

As a side note... something that might help. After years of using heat on a sore back and shoulder, a doctor convinced me ice was better. It's not as pleasant, but icing my neck and lower back for 15 minutes really helps. Heat helps as well, but as soon as you remove the source of the heat the pain can actually get worse. You can ice three times a day.

Edited by ChessieCat

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

On 11/08/2011 at 6:49 PM, 'Maybe' said:

A new day, new symptoms...so to speak.

Does anyone of you also have problems with your neck? Besides some weird pains that move around, I now have the problem that I cannot move my head to the left. When I do it my complete left side starts hurting. I never had any serious problems with my neck before taking the pills, though I have some anomalies (a block vertreba of the neck). Can such problems stem from wd?

At the beginning of wd, i had one night where my neck became unbelievable stiff, so I had to put my head down on the floor, because I could not "hold" it anymore. So the remedy surely did something to my neck, didn't it?

Yea. I have pain in my neck and also my shoulders. It is best described as a tenson. In fact, there is a diagnosis for my condition: muscle tension dysphonia. It affects the vocal muscles causing strain/dysfunction and affecting the voice.

My condition is not exactly what you describe, but I have pain for sure.

Best wishes,

Alex.i

Edited by ChessieCat

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

On 18/08/2011 at 8:06 AM, 'alexejice' said:

Yea. I have pain in my neck and also my shoulders. It is best described as a tenson.

Ditto... exactly how I describe mine as well. When I'm feeling tense or stressed out, I immediately feel it in my neck and upper back, and my lower back also. It's as if all the muscles tighten up. Well... it is the muscles tightening up.

Edited by ChessieCat

Charter Member 2011

I have tension as well, though it is also different. I think it also has to do with the nerves, for sometimes I get feelings that I cannot describe and that do not resemble anything like tension. The pains of do move around and are just weird, but right now 98% of the time they are mild.

As far as I know serotonin is also important for muscle contraction, so it surely is possible that those symptoms come directly from the alterations the drugs made.

Edited by ChessieCat

• 5 months later...

I'm experiencing debilitating headaches as part of withdrawal.

I don't see anything in the forum on this topic specifically...am I alone in this?

Nineyears

9 years of SSRI/SNRI

2-3 yrs per medication, medication loses efficacy - doctor never suggested I should come off, just kept changing - red flag went up when doctor doubled my dose of Cymbalta+abilify...that's when I searched out a psychiatrist.

Medications range from Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Effexor, CYmbalta+Abilify, Pristiq+Lyrica.

As of 1/31/12 off Pristiq 50mg (3 days of prozac to help ease symptoms - only partially successful)and Lyrica 150mg.

SYmptoms - blinding headache, anxiety/panic attacks, confusion, memory problems, unable to concentrate, crying spells, depressed mood

Hi Nine years,

No your not alone, can you describe your headaches??

Iv had them since getting off paxil about 9.5 months ago too

Hi Angie007

The headaches start shortly after I wake in the morning - the most intense pain is around the temples and across my eyes. Bright light seems to make them worse so my doc prescribed 25mg of topamax to see if it provides any relief...today was the first day so nothing to report yet.

When the headaches are present (which is pretty much every waking hour right now) they're acoompanied by anxiety and confusion/lack of concentration.

Sound familiar?

Nineyears

9 years of SSRI/SNRI

2-3 yrs per medication, medication loses efficacy - doctor never suggested I should come off, just kept changing - red flag went up when doctor doubled my dose of Cymbalta+abilify...that's when I searched out a psychiatrist.

Medications range from Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Effexor, CYmbalta+Abilify, Pristiq+Lyrica.

As of 1/31/12 off Pristiq 50mg (3 days of prozac to help ease symptoms - only partially successful)and Lyrica 150mg.

SYmptoms - blinding headache, anxiety/panic attacks, confusion, memory problems, unable to concentrate, crying spells, depressed mood

Hi Nine years.

So sorry your dealing with that, its awful i know.

Mine started off more like tension headaches in back of head and neck, yesterday the symptoms felt a lot worse, and had awful pain across my eyes, bridge of my nose, and the mental confusion

and anxiety, which i didnt recognise to be anxiety, as its gotten less intense over the last few months.

But i do think that headaches are all part and parcel of all this, but i have to admit, when symptoms change and appear diffrent/worse, it sure ramps up the anxiety and the mental stuff.

I only take paracetemol, and have to admit they dont really do a lot for these headaches, so would be interested to know how you get on with Topamax.

All the best and hope they soon disappear for us both lol, if not we will keep complaining -loudly lol.x

Hi Nine Years,

I took have been suffering daily headaches in the temples, forehead and behind the ears. I have also been suffering from hearing loss and sensitivity to loud sounds.

It does cause me alot of anxiety. I rub a camphor ointment along my pain; it helps numb it a little. I seem to hold alot of tension in the back of my neck which perhaps

causes the headaches. I also clench my teeth when I sleep, this can also contribute to the headaches.

Rosie

2009 Efexor 75mg tapered twice

November 2011 Pristiq 50 mg

January 2012 Pristiq 100 mg, became very dizzy and anxious with a lot negative thinking! Ear aches, eye pain, headaches, bruxism, night sweats.

Currently on 30 mg of compounded Pristiq

I've dealt with all types of headaches most of my adult life - can't claim they're worse now than pre-ADs. Bruxism (side effect of Zoloft) resulted in severe TMJ and neck pain.

Topamax (topiramate) is an anticonvulsant - similar to Depakote - that is used daily as prophylaxis for migraine headaches that have not responded to abortive therapies (the triptans such as Imitrex). Topamax and Depakote (also used as mood stabilizer) are drugs that are usually taken indefinitely and come with a long list of side effects and warnings including cognitive dulling. I would exhaust every conservative or abortive treatment option, including acupuncture and chiropractic.

There is a thread about mouthguards for bruxism/grinding to wear at night. It is OTC.

The masseter is one of the strongest muscles in the body--it can wreak havoc down the neck, back, and cause wicked headaches. My TMJ was very severe and I had to wear full mouthguard 24/7 for a year or so. During that time, my face shape changed dramatically as the muscles relaxed. People thought I lost weight, but it was only my face muscles. I can't emphasize the extreme power of the jaw muscles.

Sounds familiar. Although I have struggled with chronic headaches, migraines and neck pain since I was a teenager, I did experience an unique headache during WD. Stabbing pain, anxiety, it was as if I had a hangover from drinking copious amounts of cheap booze. I agree with Barb regarding Topomax. It is jokingly called "Dopomax" because it is notorious for causing cognitive impairment.

As Barb mentioned it is an anticonvulsant, like Depakote which comes with a slew of side effects. IMO Topomax is just another pmed and is reported to be difficult to withdraw from. Another preventative medicine that is used is Neurontin, also an anticonvulsant and also jokingly called "Morontin" due to its tendency to cause cognitive impairment.

Personally, I refuse to take these meds since they do effect the brain and are just as difficult to WD from as ADs. I see a neurologist to manage my headaches and neck pain. Every six weeks I get injections in my neck and head. The injections rotate between Botox and Lidocaine with a Cortisteriod. Additionally I take 10 mg of Inderal daily. Inderal is a beta blocker, it helps with anxiety as it blocks the "fight and flight" mechanism. It is essentially a drug for high blood pressure and at low doses I have no side effects.

I also use a TENS machine. This is a machine that sends electrical pulses to the nerves to kill the pain. I find it to be very effective for me. To obtain a TENS machine you need a prescription from a doctor and you need to take it to a medical supply store. My insurance covered it in full after I met the copay. Obviously, I am very lucky to have good medical insurance which covers everything including the Botox. I realize many people are not as lucky as me when it comes to medical insurance.

Also, as recommended by my neurologist I take Magnesium Oxide (400 mg twice a day) along with B2 (200 mg twice a day). It can take up to a month of regular supplement intake before the effects present themselves.

Finally, I find that chiropractors, accupuncture, massage therapists, physical therapy, yoga and meditation to be extremely effective in preventing or getting rid of a headache as all these methods help to relax my muscles and reduce my anxiety. When things are really bad I take a triptan, which is actually a SSRI. But used minimally causes no problems for me. So as you can see I am able to manage my headaches with the barest amount of medication while avoiding the pmeds Topomax, Depakote and Neurontin.

Withdrew cold turkey from six medications: Celexa, Zyprexa, Depakote, Ativan, Ambien and Phentermine in 2002. It has been 10 years since I told polypharmacy to take a hike and have joined this forum to let others know that success is possible and to hopefully save people from experiencing the suffering that I did under psychiatric "care".

MY STORY

"TENSION is when we try to be who we think we should be, RELAXATION is when we are who we really are."

Hi Folks

On the one hand I'm glad I'm not alone...on the other, as they say - "I feel your pain" :)

Topomax - it was a shot in the dark...took it for 2 days...no relief...not taking it again, and I wouldn't recommend it for these types of headaches.

I take Ibuprofen which takes the edge off...I think the internal mechanism of the headache causes muscle tension and inflammation that the ibuprofen counters to some degree.

Acetamenophen (tylenol, paracetamol) don't do anything for me, and never have, when it comes to pain management.

TENS unit - never thought of that...and I have one...guess what I'll be trying today?!

Massage also helps - my wife gave me a 10 min massage last night around the temples, ears, neck and scalp and it had a significant effect on the headache.

Good luck all

Nineyears

9 years of SSRI/SNRI

A few Massage therapists have told me that i have unusually tight scalp -- barely moves and feels like I'm wearing a bathing cap all the time. Makes sense w/tight neck muscles. Smeared Epsom Salt lotion (includes Capsicum) all over scalp yesterday and it helped some. I don't recommend as styling product although it feels vaguely like 'beach hair'.

Tylenel does nothing for me except break a fever.

Whatever, what muscles/areas does your doc inject? I've had various TP injections and Botox for head/neck pain, but no significant improvement. Two of them (not Botox) effected my vision within 24 hours and every MD and discussion group of ODs (incl neuro-ophthalmologists) said there couldnt possibly be a connection. My chiro hypothesized that lidocaine MAY have reached 5th cranial or optic nerve and MAY resolve in APPROX 3 months. It did exactly that. Interesting that the doctor who cannot prescribe meds understood more than those who use them everyday and are specialists in that body part. Then I had another injection with same vision change within 24 hours ( I drove a friend to LAX at night and had very hard time). It never resolved that time. Went from perfect vision post-LASIX to needing corrective lenses. It was a teaser to be free of lenses and paraphernalia for awhile.

@Barb: I am seeing my Neurologist on Wednesday and will ask him specifically.

The Botox did not work the first time. I did it a second time because my insurance had sent a supply to my Neurologist's office and it was just sitting there. Now that I have had it done several times I see a difference.

Interesting what you say about vision changes. I never noticed vision changes immediately after injections, but I have noticed recent loss of vision. And it is disturbing because like you I had a LASIK type surgery called PRK. Just as a FYI PRK is used for patients with abnormally shaped corneas. Those with abnormally shaped corneas are not good candidates for LASIK. In PRK they do not create a flap as they do in LASIK. I have been wracking my brain trying to figure out what is causing this.

Withdrew cold turkey from six medications: Celexa, Zyprexa, Depakote, Ativan, Ambien and Phentermine in 2002. It has been 10 years since I told polypharmacy to take a hike and have joined this forum to let others know that success is possible and to hopefully save people from experiencing the suffering that I did under psychiatric "care".

MY STORY

"TENSION is when we try to be who we think we should be, RELAXATION is when we are who we really are."

@Whatever -- I've had continual worsening of vision since then (~1999) to about -3.5D, one eye slightly worse. Had very bad vision prior to LASIX (-10D). Many meds involved over years, so hard to tease out. Just fyi, high Rx + LASIX predisposed me to premature post vitreous detachment which hit a few years ago.

Sorry to veer off headache topic.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy