SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Tips for tapering off Celexa (citalopram)

Altostrata

• Administrator

Aka Cipramil, Celeza, Citrol, Seropram, Talam, Citabax, Citaxin (Poland), Citalec (Slovakia), Recital (Israel), Zetalo (India), Celapram, Ciazil (Australia, New Zealand), Zentius (South America), Ciprapine (Ireland), Cilift (South Africa), Citox (Mexico), Citopam, Akarin (Denmark), Cipram (Turkey, Denmark), and Celius (Greece)

FDA Adds More Warnings to Antidepressant's Label

In a follow-up to a warning that high doses of the popular antidepressant Celexa can cause potentially fatal abnormal heart rhythms, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has issued new dosing and use recommendations.

Last August, the FDA said doses of Celexa (citalopram hydrobromide) greater than 40 milligrams a day can cause changes in the electrical activity of the heart, which can lead to abnormal heart rhythms, including a potentially deadly arrhythmia known as Torsade de Pointes.

Patients at high risk include those with preexisting heart conditions (including congestive heart failure) and those prone to low levels of potassium and magnesium in the blood, the FDA said...

Here are the latest FDA recommendations:

Celexa should not be used at doses greater than 40 milligrams (mg)....

From official FDA information at http://www.drugs.com/pro/citalopram-tablets.html

Discontinuation of Treatment with Citalopram
Symptoms associated with discontinuation of citalopram and other SSRIs and SNRIs have been reported (see PRECAUTIONS). Patients should be monitored for these symptoms when discontinuing treatment. A gradual reduction in the dose rather than abrupt cessation is recommended whenever possible. If intolerable symptoms occur following a decrease in the dose or upon discontinuation of treatment, then resuming the previously prescribed dose may be considered. Subsequently, the physician may continue decreasing the dose but at a more gradual rate.
PRECAUTIONS
Discontinuation of Treatment with Citalopram

During marketing of citalopram and other SSRIs and SNRIs (serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors), there have been spontaneous reports of adverse events occurring upon discontinuation of these drugs, particularly when abrupt, including the following: dysphoric mood, irritability, agitation, dizziness, sensory disturbances (e.g., paresthesias such as electric shock sensations), anxiety, confusion, headache, lethargy, emotional lability, insomnia, and hypomania. While these events are generally self-limiting, there have been reports of serious discontinuation symptoms.

Patients should be monitored for these symptoms when discontinuing treatment with citalopram. A gradual reduction in the dose rather than abrupt cessation is recommended whenever possible. If intolerable symptoms occur following a decrease in the dose or upon discontinuation of treatment, then resuming the previously prescribed dose may be considered. Subsequently, the physician may continue decreasing the dose but at a more gradual rate....

Citalopram comes in these dosages, from http://www.drugs.com/ppa/citalopram.html
- Tablets, oral 10 mg
- Tablets, oral 20 mg
- Tablets, oral 40 mg
- Solution, oral 2 mg/mL

Celexa has a half-life of about 35 hours. Liver enzymes CYP3A4, CYP2C9, CYP2C19, and CYP2D6 are involved in its metabolism per http://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/DB00215

Reduce by 10% per month to start
The 10% rule holds for Celexa, just like other psychiatric drugs: Reduce by 10% per month, calculated on the last dosage. (The amount of the reduction gets progressively smaller.)

See Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Use Celexa liquid concentrate to taper
In the US, the liquid oral solution comes in 10 mg/5 mL (2 mg/mL), peppermint flavor. The bottle contains 240 mL. Pharmacy identifier is NDC 0456-4130-08

For example at CVS: https://www.cvs.com/drug/celexa/oral-solution/10mg

You may have to phone your insurance company to see how much the liquid costs under your coverage.

Use an oral syringe to precisely measure out doses as small as .01mg.

It looks like citalopram liquid is available in the UK:

https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/3349/smpc

EDIT BY ONMYWAY: Note that the UK liquid formulation of citalopram has different bioavailability so 

1mg of the liquid solution is equivalent to 1.25mg of the tablets, very important to remember when switching to liquid or when reinstating in liquid. Also use syringes to measure rather than drops which can be inaccurate.

Making a Celexa solution yourself
See  how-to-make-a-liquid-from-tablets-or-capsules

Tapering by cutting up tablets
The tablets are scored, which means they can be cut up.

Use a digital scale to accurately measure doses cut from tablets.

Using a combination of tablets and liquid

Rather than switch directly to an all-liquid dose, you may wish to take part of your dose in liquid and part in tablets, gradually converting to all-liquid as you get to lower dosages. This can be very convenient and reduce any problems switching from one form of the drug to another.

FYI, for those in the UK:

On 9/28/2018 at 1:51 PM, Caspur said:

Hi ButterflyHope,

If you are in the UK, then yes it should be possible for you to get a liquid form of citilopram via your GP. The problem I've seen from others reporting is the cost. Some GPs will have one eye on their budgets. The liquid preps are expensive at £100-120 a 150ml bottle. My GP prescribed liquid venlafaxine for me with me even prompting him! That said, if there's any objections just make it clear that the NHS got you onto this drug so it has a moral obligation to help you get off it, whatever the cost!

The British National Formulary shows it is available as oral drops 40mg per ml of liquid; see link here.

https://bnf.nice.org.uk/medicinal-forms/citalopram.html

I'm sure it would be possible for the NHS to get it made up at a lower concentration which is probably what you need.

Good luck with your taper.

Caspur

Edited by Onmyway
updated; OMW edited to note liquid mg not equivalent to pill mg in potency

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

It comes in a liquid oral solution, with 10 mg/5 mL, peppermint flavor.

Alto I forgot about tapering a liquid in terms of measurement can you explain please.

Would I just fill the syringe up to the 40mg. mark and then drop out enough to have 39.50 in the syringe if I only want to drop 1/2 mg. at a time?

Thanks

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• Administrator

It comes in a liquid oral solution, with 10 mg/5 mL, peppermint flavor.

Be careful with the concentration. Here, the oral solution is concentrated 2:1, twice as strong. There are 2mg Celexa in 1mL of the liquid.

If you wanted to take 40mg Celexa, you would take 20mL of the liquid (20mL x 2mg = 40mg).

If you wanted to take 39.5mg Celexa, you would take 19.75mL of the liquid (19.75mL x 2mg = 39.5mg).

You can combine tablets and solution. For example, to take 39.5mg Celexa, you could take one 20mg tablet + 9.75mL liquid.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 11 months later...

Hi all- Does anyone know if I can simply dilute liquid celexa with water (a given amount of each) in order to be able to reduce my intake by smaller amounts? I am down to 0.6mg and it is difficult, with the syringe I have, to reduce in smaller increments than 0.1-.2mg. I tried to go to 0.4mg and I am feeling the bad impact.

If I can dilute it with water, do I have to do the mix right when I take it or can I mix up enough for 2 weeks in advance?

Thanks so much for any help

2003-2010 up and down 10-40mg celexa for anxiety
2/2011 10mg
8/2011 5mg for 3 wks, then stopped completely.
middle of night waking after apx 1-2 hours of sleep (nightly), panic/jitteriness after waking
11/11 back on 30mg celexa, ambien/many supplements-insomnia/panic.
2/12 30mg celexa, many supplements (Magnesium eliminated morning tight chest/jitteriness). Off ambien!
7/12 20mg
8/12 15 mg(sleep improving,mood pos)
12/12 2.3 mg got liquid celexa!
1/13 2.1 mg
3/13 1.2 mg
4/13 down to .6 too quickly- cortisol spikes, middle of night waking, night sweats...
4/13 held at .6 for 3 weeks so far. Off most supplements as well. Withdrawal depression almost gone!

7/13 OFF OF CELEXA!!!

• Administrator

Here is the product insert sheet (PDF) for liquid Celexa from the US National Institutes of Health:

http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/archives/fdaDrugInfo.cfm?archiveid=6278

Celexa oral solution contains citalopram HBr equivalent to 2 mg/mL citalopram base. It also

contains the following inactive ingredients: sorbitol, purified water, propylene glycol,

methylparaben, natural peppermint flavor, and propylparaben.

As it already contains water, this suggests it can be diluted.

You may wish to check with a pharmacist.

• 4 months later...

Hello

I have been on 20mg Celexa for 4 weeks.

The celexa is making me extremely tired, lazy and almost catatonic and I want to get off it as soon as possible.

As I have been on it only such a short period of time, what would a recommended tapering period look like please? Thankyou

• Administrator

You might want to try a fast taper, 5mg every 2 weeks. If you get withdrawal symptoms, reinstate and reduce slower and by smaller decrements.

• 6 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I'm down to about 1 mg out of a 10 mg tablet so I wanted to see how many doses I could get out of that and how long I could keep them safely. Found this article below. It sounds like citalopram is pretty stable in aqueous (water) solution ("d" stands for days).

Good news for me, I can probably pre-make and keep doses as long as I want, which means not having to deal with doctors and refills.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16050577

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Rhi.. speaking of the length of time one can keep a suspension... I've been meaning to let you know how much I appreciated your comments on my issue with Lyrica... I had no idea the drug was dissolved by the H2O (as opposed to being a suspension) and this might affect the length of time it could be kept in the fridge. Thanks so much for your input! You solved my mystery.. and I've stopped beating myself up for not realizing more quickly what the problem was.. Now I'm confident about keeping the solution for 3 days.. but no longer.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• 1 year later...

I'm pretty glad that citalopram comes in a liquid form! Trying to measure out those little jumps would be maddening without it. 

Is the liquid form more expensive than the regular tablets?

-Started on Citalopram 20mg & Zopiclone 7.5mg in August 2010 after stressful life events induced anxiety attacks

-Given olanzapine 2.5mg due to not sleeping through the night with zopiclone (I have never had any symptoms of psychosis)

-Went up to 40mg Citalopram sometime in 2011 after disastrous flirtation with Wellbutrin

-Tapered off zopiclone by January 2013 (take as PRN sometimes)

-Jan 10/2016: Back up to full dose of citalopram after attempted taper from late November 2015

-Jan 2018: Cut to 1.8mg of olanzapine from 1.825

-Mid-August 2018: Cut from 1.8mg olanzapine to 1.76mg. Probable withdrawal symptoms emerged about ten days later. Went back up to 1.8mg

-July 2021: Currently experiencing a strange "episode", withdrawal but no dose changes???

Current meds and doses: 1.8mg Olanzapine (compounded capsules), 40mg Citalopram, 1.25mg zopiclone (as PRN, taken once every few weeks during good periods and once or twice a week during bad ones)

• Administrator

The cost of the liquid form depends on your insurance coverage and availability in your area. Generally, if you have to pay out of pocket, it is more expensive, but if you are tapering and taking small doses, it will last a long time.

• 11 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I found this today.

Regarding prescribing tips, escitalopram equivalent dose is half that of citalopram

line 14 from

http://psychopharmacologyinstitute.com/antidepressants/ssris/citalopram-escitalopram-differences-similarities/

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 1 year later...

Was wondering if anyone has noticed interdose withdrawal when at the low end of their taper. Serum levels drop by about a third between daily doses, and at the low end this MIGHT have a marked effect, as the dose-response curve is pretty steep in the low milligrams.

Anyone done twice daily dosing?

Current daily meds. Citalopram 2.5mg morning. Diazapam 1.5mg evening, Propanalol 40mg split 4x10mg throughout day.

Recent meds. Fluoxetine 20mg began 24th Nov 2017, CT on 4th December on medical advice due to bad Akathisia. Citalopram 10mg began on 13th Dec 2017, tapered to 2.5mg by 20th Dec 2017 on medical advice. Diazapam 2mg began on 6th Dec 2017 cut to 1.5 mg on 26th Dec. Propanalol 40mg began on 13th Dec. Zopiclone 3.75 mg began 13th December, used maybe 5 times then quit.

Previous history. Tricyclics, Fluoxetine or Citalopram for periods of 6mo to 2yrs over last 25 years. Probably 5 yrs in total. No significant ill effects.

• Administrator

Yes, in the last phase of a chapter, the drug may be metabolized more quickly and interdose withdrawal may result. We've had very few instances of this. Dosing more than once a day may help.

However, you just started tapering. Please ask questions specific to your situation in your Intro topic.

6 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Yes, in the last phase of a chapter, the drug may be metabolized more quickly and interdose withdrawal may result. We've had very few instances of this. Dosing more than once a day may help.

However, you just started tapering. Please ask questions specific to your situation in your Intro topic.

Yes. I spoke about it there also. As I'm tapering from a low starting point, 2.5mg, it may apply to me. I was looking for advice from citalopram/celexa experts.

Current daily meds. Citalopram 2.5mg morning. Diazapam 1.5mg evening, Propanalol 40mg split 4x10mg throughout day.

Recent meds. Fluoxetine 20mg began 24th Nov 2017, CT on 4th December on medical advice due to bad Akathisia. Citalopram 10mg began on 13th Dec 2017, tapered to 2.5mg by 20th Dec 2017 on medical advice. Diazapam 2mg began on 6th Dec 2017 cut to 1.5 mg on 26th Dec. Propanalol 40mg began on 13th Dec. Zopiclone 3.75 mg began 13th December, used maybe 5 times then quit.

Previous history. Tricyclics, Fluoxetine or Citalopram for periods of 6mo to 2yrs over last 25 years. Probably 5 yrs in total. No significant ill effects.

• Administrator

An accurately reported symptom pattern relative to when you take your drugs and their dosages will enable us to determine if you are having interdose withdrawal symptoms.

• 2 months later...

hi altostrata, what is interdose withdrawal?

1996 Aurorix, Zoloft, Serzone, Lithium and Aropax

1997 Luvox. 1998 Prozac. 2000 Zyprexa with Prozac

June 2000 Cipramil  October 2000 Prozac again

2001 Sinequan with Risperdal

2002 Cipramil. 2009 Stillnox. 2010 Imovane

2016 February 24th 50mg Luvox and 25mg Largactil. Stopped Largactil 2 days later, back on Imovane

August 2016 125mg Luvox. November 100mg Luvox, December 75mg Luvox.

March 2017 50mg Luvox, August 25mg Luvox. September 10mg Lexapro, then 20mg ,October back down to 10mg Lexapro

December 20th 20mg Cipramil

2018 January 9th 15mg Cipramil, January 12th 10mg Cipramil. January 20th 5mg Cipramil, February 4th 2.5mg. June 25th 2.4mg, September 17th 2.3mg

• Administrator

Some drugs have short half-lives, when they wear off between doses, you can get interdose withdrawal symptoms.

This mostly applies to benzodiazepines, but sometimes when people are tapering other drugs, they get down to such low doses that they metabolize the drug quickly. In these situations, divided doses will help.

Thank you altostrata. 

2016 February 24th 50mg Luvox and 25mg Largactil. Stopped Largactil 2 days later, back on Imovane

March 2017 50mg Luvox, August 25mg Luvox. September 10mg Lexapro, then 20mg ,October back down to 10mg Lexapro

2018 January 9th 15mg Cipramil, January 12th 10mg Cipramil. January 20th 5mg Cipramil, February 4th 2.5mg. June 25th 2.4mg, September 17th 2.3mg

• 3 weeks later...

Can somebody please let me know how low to taper off Citalopram. Started 4.5 months ago on 5mg. I’ve been slowly tapering and now I’m down to 2.5 mg. How much lower can I go before quitting? Splitting pills becomes annoying at 2.5 mg and under. 

Thanks.

Nolabud1 - Mark

45 yr old male

Citalopram

Start date: December 20, 2017     5 mg

Taper date: February 6, 2018.      2.5 mg

Back up to 3 mg 2/16

Tapered to 2.5 mg 3/18/2018

• Administrator

Nolabud, please read this topic from the beginning and post questions about your taper in your Introductions topic.

• 6 months later...

Would there be any benefit in switching to lexapro from celexa to ease withdrawal symptoms? 

2017-2018: 75 to 300 wellbutrin, 15mg to 7.5 mg celexa.

Jan-Apr 2019: 5mg celexa down to 2.5 mg.

May 2019: switch to zoloft 12.5 mg then 25mg. 

June 2019: zoloft up to 50 mg 

July 2019: Zoloft up to 75 mg. Anxiety through the roof. Stopped zoloft Stopped wellbutrin.

August 2019: Liquid cross taper back to zoloft. 2mg celexa, 4mg zoloft.

September 2019: 1.5mg celexa 6mg zoloft.

October 2019: 1.0 mg celexa 8mg zoloft.

November 2019: 2.5mg celexa hold no zoloft

• 3 months later...

Hi, I've read through the tapering advice for citalopram and I've decided to do a liquid taper by dissolving my tablet into water. Over the past week I've switched from taking 2.5mg tablet (one tablet cut into a quarter) to a liquid suspension (dissolving 1/4 tablet in 100ml of water). I see that I have two options, one - dissolve an entire 10mg tablet in 100ml water and withdraw my dose OR cut my tablet into quarters and dissolve 1/4 tablet in 100ml water and remove the amount I dont want to take. My preference would be option 2. Do you see any issues with this? 

Secondly, I just want to make sure my technique is right. I measure 100ml water, tip it into a small see-through container with a lid, then I put it in the fridge for an hour or two to dissolve. I then shake it up when i'm ready to take my dose. Is this a correct technique? 

Temazepan (for sleeep)- as required (no more than one per week) June/July 2020

Valdoxan (for sleep) - 2 weeks in July 2020 - no taper as not required for this drug so stopped straight away 

Temazepan again - July/August - as required, noticed interdose withdrawals - fast taper - last dose 4th October 2020

Citalopram (for panic/anxiety which I suspect was due to the other drugs) - 26th August 2020 - have been tapering since 8th October (20mg>15mg (one week)>10mg(one week)>5mg(one week)>2.5mg (one week). Jumped 1st November - 2 days later had anxiety, insomnia, meloncolic jerks. Reinstated 2.5mg and currently tapering from here. 

Supplements - Fish Oil, Probiotic, Vitamin C

Calmseeker, I am doing this completely different. I am dissolving a 10mg tablet and 10ml of water and then taking my dose which is 2.10ml. I am doing a 1:1 ratio.

Thank you @mariella. How long have you been doing this method for? Can I ask why you choose to do the smaller volume of liquid? I would have thought that the more volume of liquid the better the chance for accuracy however I could be wrong. 

Valdoxan (for sleep) - 2 weeks in July 2020 - no taper as not required for this drug so stopped straight away 

Temazepan again - July/August - as required, noticed interdose withdrawals - fast taper - last dose 4th October 2020

Citalopram (for panic/anxiety which I suspect was due to the other drugs) - 26th August 2020 - have been tapering since 8th October (20mg>15mg (one week)>10mg(one week)>5mg(one week)>2.5mg (one week). Jumped 1st November - 2 days later had anxiety, insomnia, meloncolic jerks. Reinstated 2.5mg and currently tapering from here. 

• Moderator Emeritus
9 minutes ago, Calmseeker said:

I would have thought that the more volume of liquid the better the chance for accuracy however I could be wrong. 

Yes the more liquid you use the more accurately you can measure the dose.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Calmseeker, I was doing 2:2 ratio since I got to 2.5mg. I started the 1:1 about a year ago.

When you make the 10mg with 100ml how do you calculate how much to take with the syringe? I might give that a go as doing the 1:1 ratio just makes it more concentrated, which is terrible to taste.

17 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

ChessieCat there is a post in the cipramil how to taper that mentions the 1:1 ratio, it is from years ago.

blockquote widget

7 minutes ago, mariella said:

When you make the 10mg with 100ml how do you calculate how much to take with the syringe?

If you add a 10mg tablet to 100mL water each:

10mL liquid = 1mg dose

1mL liquid = 0.1mg dose

To take 2.5‬mg you would extract 25mL and drink the extracted amount.

Hope those calculations are correct! I get a little confused with this so I am constantly double checking stuff. 

• Moderator Emeritus
2 hours ago, mariella said:

I was doing 2:2 ratio since I got to 2.5mg. I started the 1:1 about a year ago.

2:2 and 1:1 are the same thing.

I think you might mean 2:1 and 1:1

2:1 means 2 parts to 1 part, 1:1 means 1 part to 1 part or equal parts.

22 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

2:2 and 1:1 are the same thing.

I think you might mean 2:1 and 1:1

2:1 means 2 parts to 1 part, 1:1 means 1 part to 1 part or equal parts.

Sorry my brain ain't working.☹️

3 hours ago, Calmseeker said:

If you add a 10mg tablet to 100mL water each:

10mL liquid = 1mg dose

1mL liquid = 0.1mg dose

To take 2.5‬mg you would extract 25mL and drink the extracted amount.

Hope those calculations are correct! I get a little confused with this so I am constantly double checking stuff. 

All good, I get confused myself. 

So I'm 2.10mg would that mean I would have to syringe out 21ml?

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone.

I'm tapering off of Citalopram.

Down to 5mg daily & have been preparing the dose like this:  Dissolve 20mg tablet in 20ml lukewarm water then use oral syringe to administer 4x5ml doses over 4 days. Well, that's the idea anyway. I'm keeping the prepared liquid in the fridge, in a small glass jar with screw lid. I'm noticing that when I come to the 3rd or 4th dose that there's not enough liquid to make up the last 1 or 2 5ml doses. Not sure what's going on. I thought it was evaporating but can't imagine that's going to happen in a sealed glass jar in the fridge.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

x

Olanzapine 2.5mg 2007 - 8.5.2020. 1.25mg held for 4 weeks then stopped.

Citalopram 20mg 2007 - December 2020. Tapered down from 20mg daily, to 1.25, by halving the dose, holding for 3/4 weeks after each reduction, then jumping off in March 2021.

23/6/ 2021 Reinstated Citalopram, 0.5mg, held for a week then increased to 1mg. Held for four weeks then increased to 1.5mg. Held for two weeks then increased to 2mg. held for two weeks then increased to 2.5mg. been on 2.5mg since 24/8/21

@MindDriftI had this exact same issue. I'm not able to offer you any guidance I'm sorry as I ended up switching to a capsules by a compounding chemist. I'm sure someone else will be along who is more experienced to give you some pointers. 

@CalmseekerThanks! How did it work with the capsule in terms of tapering? did you keep getting the chemist to keep reducing the doses every time you came down?

24 minutes ago, Calmseeker said:

@MindDriftI had this exact same issue. I'm not able to offer you any guidance I'm sorry as I ended up switching to a capsules by a compounding chemist. I'm sure someone else will be along who is more experienced to give you some pointers. 

Olanzapine 2.5mg 2007 - 8.5.2020. 1.25mg held for 4 weeks then stopped.

Citalopram 20mg 2007 - December 2020. Tapered down from 20mg daily, to 1.25, by halving the dose, holding for 3/4 weeks after each reduction, then jumping off in March 2021.

23/6/ 2021 Reinstated Citalopram, 0.5mg, held for a week then increased to 1mg. Held for four weeks then increased to 1.5mg. Held for two weeks then increased to 2mg. held for two weeks then increased to 2.5mg. been on 2.5mg since 24/8/21

• Moderator Emeritus

@MindDrift

You might find it more accurate to measure out the 4 doses at the beginning.  You could try measuring out 4 x 4.5mL or 4 x 4.75mL and then evenly dividing up the remainder between the 4 doses.  Once you make a reduction you will not need to do this because you will have liquid dose remaining.

It is best to keep them covered in the refrigerator.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy