vaseadude: Anyone went through Risperdal (Risperidone) withdrawal?

vaseadude

I have just started tapering the drug and I am just curious if anyone went through a similar process and can provide any tips.

Edited by scallywag
tags added

2008 - started taking Risperidone.

In 2014 tried to taper it, taperred it to 1mg during several months then abruptly stopped, ended up in the hospital. 

2014-2015  -  been off meds 3 times, all 3 times ended in the hospital and was put back on them.

13 Jun 2016 - went  from 2 mg Risperidone to 1.5mg

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vaseadude

• GiaK

• tezza

• Altostrata

Top Posters In This Topic

I was on Risperdal as add-on for depression. I never noticed it doing anything and CTd it. I was a mess during that time and had no idea it was the CTs and withdrawal. I was on and off so many drugs that year. Can't imagine what it all did to me.

I'm sure Alto will have good taper advice for you.

How long and what dose are you on? What made you decide to taper off?

Welcome to the group!

Barb

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

i've been taking it for over three years. Was on a 25 mg long acting injection and two weeks ago switched to an oral form of 2mg so I can taper it. These weeks I've noticed an increase in anxiety, but from what I've heard the hardest is the first step (when switching to oral, because change is unpredictable) and the last step. I hope it will be successful.

The reason I decided to taper is: I decided for me that it is time I try to go without psychiatric drugs, to progress toward a more natural and healthy lifestyle, away from these toxic chemicals.

Thanks for your reply!

In 2014 tried to taper it, taperred it to 1mg during several months then abruptly stopped, ended up in the hospital. 

2014-2015  -  been off meds 3 times, all 3 times ended in the hospital and was put back on them.

hi Vaseadude,

I withdrew from Risperdal. Lots of it. A whole 11mg!!

it's a drug not to be trifled with. You need to go REALLY slowly, just like with antidepressants and with benzos. It's best to not make an additional cut until your body has recovered from the last one if that is at all possible...and if you have any history with psychosis or delusional thinking it's even more important to take it really uber slow.

that said, it's very possible to do...

the general rule of 10% cuts of total current dose...that is taught here for ADs works quite well...sometimes it makes sense to do smaller cuts.

I got liquid risperdal which made it easier.

when I got down to the really tiny doses I diluted the liquid with distilled water (carefully measured) so as to make even smaller cuts possible.

good luck!

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

Giak,

Thats really cool that you withdrew from it! My congrats!

Did you also experience worsening of anxiety while tapering, and how fast did it go away? This past weeks my anxiety has risen so much that I literally cannot go outside more than a couple blocks from my apartment. Besides agoraphobia also have claustrophobia. Its awful, never had these two in my whole life before the meds.

yes, it was nasty for a long time...

my situation was complicated with numerous other drugs in the mix, so I don't know how much our experiences will be similar or not...but I did the risperdal at one time so I know risperdal withdrawal from that perspective...that particular sort of anxiety has a grating edge I've never felt again (though I've experienced much that was just as bad, just different with the other meds I came off of...but yeah, Risperdal withdrawal is a special hell)

anyway...the best thing to do is not change anything at all until the symptoms abate. unless they get much worse or are truly far too intolerable increase the dose a tiny bit.

I had to up the dose with the Risperdal several times before I successfully got off all of it. If you take minute tiny cuts and go real slow you might be able to avoid that.

I don't know how much you know about tapering? You would do well to know how to do the 10% or LESS rule.

I have that on my blog...don't know where to find it on this site...here: http://beyondmeds.com/2012/02/13/taper10percent/

It's written by Altostrata the owner of this site...

I've written something on slow withdrawal too:

http://beyondmeds.com/withdrawal-101/

I'm sharing these in the event you are not familiar with these slow tapering ideas. I don't know what you might already be familiar with. I'm not often on this site but happened to read your question and since Risperdal is a drug I'm very familiar with I thought I'd pipe in.

good luck!

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

• Administrator

Thanks very much, Gia.

vaseadude, you can pick up Tips for tapering off Risperdal here.

As Gia said, go slow with 10% decreases. That's 10% on the current dosage. If you're taking 2mg, your first reduction would be by .2mg. If that's too much for you, up the dosage to 2mg again, stabilize, and make smaller cuts.

If the 10% cut goes well, reduce by 10% of the dosage you'd be taking, which would be 1.8mg. A 10% reduction would be .18mg. Yes, the reductions get smaller as your dosage goes down. This keeps the taper smooth and gradual.

Use the liquid form of Risperdal to taper, and an oral syringe to measure the doses, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/235-tapering-techniques.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I tapered off of Risperdal. Like every other aytpical, I found it a torturous drug to be on. Unfortunately I tapered effexor at the same time and was more mindful of the AD taper.

I was on 5mg and I didn't follow 10% reduction rule. I didn't with my Effexor either. This was a huge mistake but I didn't know any better.

The rule I used for Risperdal, which I don't recommend, is I cut til I could not sleep. That was my main acute w/d symptom. And while with Effexor I also had insomnia, the Risperdal insomnia felt more powerful because it really felt like I'd die of sleep deprivation due to the symptoms that would come on as time without sleep aggregated.

At the point when I was still awake at, say noon the next day, I would decide that that I'd made too larege a reduction and updose back, later reducing by an amount that let me fall asleep by next day's noon. It was lunacy. However, since I quit 2 meds in that window and bad w/d, it's not possible to pinpoint symptoms to one or the other or even talk about my experience tapering Risperdal since the Effexor reduction clouds the experience.

In retrospect, I sure wish I knew better than to go so recklessly fast. That's for sure.

Alex

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

Thanks all of you for all the info and resources! I see that there is a lot of info out there.

I already know however of the 10% reduction, it was recommended in the outpatient withdrawal program book that I follow (not sure if I am allowed to mention it's name). But they recommend a reduction of 10% of the initial dose and lowering it, if symptoms get worse. I am also taking supplements they recommend to cope with the symptoms.

I really want to know and connect with other people who have successfully tapered and recovered from AP medications, for morale and support. I wanted to be more certain that it can be done, because it kind of seems like sometimes it's me against the whole world.

Peace!

Vaseadude,

We'd like to know of any resources out there for tapering or doctors to work with who understand the complexity and are willing to work WITH people wanting to DC.

Please do share the name of the guide you're using!

Barb

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Sure, if it's OK to share, I am using "The Road Back" program (www.theroadback.org) . Let me know if you heard anything of it.

• Administrator

Tapering off Risperdal can definitely be done, vaseadude. The trick is to listen to your body and only go as fast as comfortable.

Since The Road Back is a commercial program, we don't have a recommendation for it. You can assemble your own supplement program for far less than they charge.

We do recommend a progressively smaller reduction proportional to the current dose. While this may be a little harder to calculate, it guarantees that you will be lowering your dose at the same rate throughout your taper. Making larger proportional drops as you get lower in dosage puts additional stress on your nervous system.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

one quick question for those with more experience:

if I was taking a long acting injection of 25mg every two weeks, what is the dose that you would normally want to switch to orally? Would it be 25mg / 2 weeks = 1.8mg?

Because I found somewhere on the net that I should switch to 2mg, and that's what im on right now. But now I wonder if they recommended 2mg because it is actually the closest pill form.

Anyways, I am just curious what you think about it. Even if I did switch to a larger dose, I guess I would have to let my body first adjust to it, before tapering.

Vaseadude,

Im not that familiar w tapering from depot to oral, but did see a 12.5 depot available. You probably know that already, so forgive any duplication of info! Uncertain of how it might help taper.

Barb

hi again...

Vaseadude,

when one switches from depot to oral it's gonna vary in dosage from person to person (in terms of there being a precise amount)... I suggest that you start with the dose you were told and then HOLD it for a few weeks...because your body is not gonna handle it the same way it handled the injection. I've not worked much at all with people going from injection to oral pills for withdrawal, though I know from working in mental health as a social worker that the dose can vary when one makes a switch.

it just seems you might want to give your body time to adjust to the oral risperdal then you can start your taper once your body is accustomed to the new dose.

I would also suggest getting a liquid and tapering with that...AND sticking with all oral once you've come off the injectable.

these are all simply suggestions based on my experience...people find many ways to be successful.

Listen to those who know of what they speak. ^^^^

Didn't mean to add any confusion!

B

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Its been over a month since i switched from risperidone LAI to oral form and to tell you the truth its not going very smooth. The side effects I have are: I mostly stay in my bed, cant really do any activities most of the day, cant interact with people cos I feel anxious, cant handle the outside world. I am fatigued. I have diarrhea. Sometimes I feel anxiety, with panicked negative thoughts and body chillness or tingling with it. I also sometimes feel pressure in my eyes or headache.

THe anxiety had worsened the very first day I began taking The Road Back supplements. Also it worsened when I switched the oral risperidone to one that my pdoc gave me... I dont know if these supplements are helping but I am afraid that it would be worse w/o them. If I feel severe side effects I am supposed to go back to a higher safer dose, but since i switched from injection I cant go back to the injection... so i am stuck in between...

When my mom went to see my pdoc about a week ago and tell her that I have anxiety, she suggested to take Paxil, without even seeing me. Which I think would be terrible to add an antidepressant to the soup now, no?

I am really confused on what to do in this situation. I could try to add another AP (levomepromazin) that i was taking when i first started my risperidone 3 years ago... or, I could add an antidepressant. I also have Diazepam for anxiety just in case but i never took it... Or, I could just increase risperidone dose... I could either stay on the supplements or try a few days without... I could also just stay and do nothing and hope my body will adjust to this dose.. but, it has been 37 days already since the switch... i really dont know... and I don't know who to ask.

What would you do in my situation or what would you recommend?

All the best!

THe anxiety had worsened the very first day I began taking The Road Back supplements.

Stop them. For a few days at the very least. You can re-evaluate at that point.

What are you taking exactly? It's possible some of us might be able to guess at which ones are the most likely to be problematic. I know that some of them are highly problematic for some people.

The biotin set me off...and the barley grass sets some people off too.

These programs that treat everyone exactly alike are not to my liking in general. In the benzo groups The Road Back is pretty much hated, in general. I've only tried *some* of their ideas...a long time ago now as I knew a lot of it wasn't appropriate for me at the get go when I first checked it out.

I am taking: JNK, b6 b12 and biotin, Calmag, Nerve Support, Body Calm and Body Calm Supreme, Admax.

"THe anxiety had worsened the very first day I began taking The Road Back supplements. " - I did have a panic attack outside but it was also a stressful day too... idk.. but could be definitely be the supplements

I could try without them for a few days, only I am afraid - what if the anxiety or any of the symptoms get worse? What can I do in such a probable case?

I don't know what JNK is...

I would definitely do a trial stopping the B-6 and the B-12 and biotin...B vitamins jack lots of people up.

I've not heard of people reacting to Tart Cherry (body calm) I use it...but I get it from another source. Are you aware that TRB prices are much higher than if you get it elsewhere?

In any case, just because I've not heard of someone reacting to Tart Cherry doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Also, a rule of thumb, ADD ONLY ONE SUPPLEMENT AT A TIME.

when you start a whole regimen like you did with multiple supplements there is no way of knowing what is going on.

I'd wait about 4 days to add a new supplement...and only add one at a time.

My suggestion is to go off all of them and do that if you really want to rule out the supplements and/or figure out which one might be causing problems.

oh...just looked at the Admax...that's a mixture of adaptogens. Adaptogens are really great healing plants and very safe for NORMAL PEOPLE. For us, it's a little bit more hit and miss and some of us have problems with some of them. The fact that this is a complex of several makes it very complicated because you may be reacting to one or more of them.

If you want to try an adaptogen I'd try SINGLE HERB pills and go from there.

the road back is a shot gun approach and as far as I can tell it was built on theory rather than a practice of knowing what those of us who really get sick are like...in theory their stuff makes sense...but we suffer from issues that often make little sense...these drugs ravage the body in ways very few people understand or appreciate.

good luck!! this is all very overwhelming I know...but we learn and get better at it all as it goes.

the above are only suggestions...I cannot know what is best for you...but I've now worked with 1000s of people...(sadly)

Thanks a lot Giak!

So I am thinking of going off supplements tomorrow but, in the case I have severe anxiety or negative panicked thoughts, what would you suggest to use to alleviate it? Is taking a bezo (diazepam) ok for a day or more? Maybe adding another AP? Or PAxil? I know these may seem like im adding gasoline to fire, but I just want to have something as an option for 'if things go wrong'. :unsure:

I can't and don't make recommendations about using meds, because, yeah, it's generally adding fuel to the fire, you've got it there. It's definitely high risk.

that being said, I don't know what you're up against and there were times in my withdrawal I would take tiny doses of this or that to take the edge off and it seemed necessary at the time...there is a risk of doing that sort of thing though and given I don't know you or what you're capable of handling or how the drugs effect you etc, etc...the variables are endless for every individual.

ultimately we need to find what works for us...and that is a lonely journey quite often. I wish we didn't have to go through all this. None of us deserve it.

• Administrator

Thanks very much for your excellent advice, GiaK.

vaseadude, if I were you I would not add to my troubles by taking Paxil, too.

Vitamin B6 is definitely stimulating, and B12 can be, too.

Stop taking all the Road Back supplements. Do not take any mixed supplements, with more than one ingredient.

If you want to try something, try a tiny bit of one thing at a time.

I've moved this as your topic in the Introductions and Updates section -- it can be sort of a journal for you.

I am taking: JNK, b6 b12 and biotin, Calmag, Nerve Support, Body Calm and Body Calm Supreme, Admax.

I meant to say not Biotin but Folate... thats whats in the supplement.

Anyways, Ill be dropping the supplements tomorrow and keep you posted for any changes. Wish me luck! :)

• Moderator Emeritus

Giak,

Thats really cool that you withdrew from it! My congrats!

Did you also experience worsening of anxiety while tapering, and how fast did it go away? This past weeks my anxiety has risen so much that I literally cannot go outside more than a couple blocks from my apartment. Besides agoraphobia also have claustrophobia. Its awful, never had these two in my whole life before the meds.

Hi vaseadude, Welcome to the site. You have found your way to a very loving and knowledgeable place. I was put on Risperdal (Risperidone) as an add on for depression in April 2011. I was grieving over the loss of my brother that I'd cared for the last three weeks he lived. (STUPID, CARELESS, INCOMPETENT, MONEY HUNGRY DOC! Please forgive the rant.)

I've experienced anxiety, depression, agoraphobia, insomnia, lack of motivation, depersonalization, paranoia, muscle twitches and tinnitus while trying to DC this nasty drug. Please follow the advice GiaK and Alto provide. (Gia, I'm so glad to see you here! I've read a lot on your site. You are truly an inspiration. My heart was broken for all that you endured.) I was a basket case when I started tapering Risperdal, but different people recover at different speeds. No one can really say how long any of your WD symptoms may last, you will just need to let your body tell you when it's time to taper again. Slow and conservative are most recommended. My heart goes out to you BC I know how difficult this particular drug is to get off but you can do it. I'm down to .345 of liquid Risperdal, currently. ( Using a mobile device, I haven't been able to add the signature. ) Patience and determination are needed to succeed the journey. I wish you well and please keep us posted. You CAN succeed!

Love,

Tezza

Thanks for the encouragement, Tezza!! :rolleyes:

Its been 24 hours since I am no longer taking any TRB supplements and I am feeling really fatigue all day. Like I cant do anything else except lying in bed all day. Its been like this sometime even while taking the supplements, but while taking a lot of Tart Cherry And Passion Flower... I feel really fatigued, tired and sedated. Is this normal? Should it go away soon? Is there something I can do to make it better? Thanks in advance.

when you're on drugs and while you're withdrawing there is no normal...there is a lot of learning to tolerate the crap and the rollercoaster.

fatigue sounds healthier to me than lots of anxiety, frankly. You're on Risperdal...that stuff is a heavy sedative among other things.

hang in there....and get some sleep and rest...

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi vaseadude,

I was thinking about you and got worried that I may have scared you by listing my WD symptoms. Please don't assume that you will have all of those. I sensitized my CNS by ignorantly doing a CT for a period of two weeks. You probably won't have as many issues if you taper small amounts and hold as long as your body tells you to. I'm so sorry if I alarmed you at all.

I was at .5 in tablet form and thought it would be ok to just leave it off. That was a big mistake! But, I didn't know any better at the time. I learned the hard way. You will do much better, I'm sure because you are researching the proper way to taper. I had a few other symptoms too, but I don't think you will experience all the things I did, if you go slow and be gentle with yourself.

When it gets hard to taper the pills, please try to get the liquid. Also, there is a tiny 1mL syringe. This has helped ne immensely. You are not alone and I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Please accept my sincerest apologies if I frightened you. Truly, that wasn't in my thoughts. I'm on numerous meds and have brain fog.

Love,

Tezza

Hi Tezza,

You haven't frightened me, esp because I already experienced these severe side effects by myself and I know what It feels like.. and I havent even started to taper the drug yet :D !

Anyways, lately im not having that much fatigue, having more apetite too. And Im planning to go outside today for a little while to get some fresh air after over a week of sitting at home. I hope my anxiety will not be that bad.

Thanks again for all your support, you and GiaK especially. Since I dont have the trust for my doc, these posts really help me get more informed, confident and keep me going forward on the path to a natural life.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi vaseadude,

I'm relieved to know that I didn't scare you. I always worry that I've said the wrong thing. I'm glad you're getting somewhere appetite now, too. When I CT'd for two wks, I lost twenty pounds because I didn't eat at all. I also had to urinate constantly.

Getting outdoors will be good for you. It sounds like you may be getting adjusted to the change in form. Give yourself all the time you need before starting to taper and you will be fine. I wish I'd had this forum prior to trying to DC Risperdal.

Love,

Tezza

Hello again good folks ;),

A question is bothering me and I dont know the answer to it.

Ive been on the oral solution of risperidone for 43 days now, and now besides anxiety, fatigue, flu-like symptoms, nervous needle like spasms, intoxication (diarrhea), I can also add some depression to them. I wonder if theyre ever gonna end. I dont know if this depression is a side effect, or, Im just discouraged because I feel all these symptoms, because I cant really go out or socialize, confused as whether I should tell my friends about the withdrawal, confused of what they think of me, and there is also raining and wind outside that might also contribute to this depression.

But whats bothering me is, in case the symptoms get too severe (and I really hope they will get better!) what should one do, if there is no 'higher dose' to go back to? I really want to feel empowered that I know what to do in case smt bad happens. Again I hope it doesnt, but i want to have a soft pillow below just in case.

All the best!

Vasea

Im glad to tell you that my mood is better now.. exercise and playing music can help ))

Just that sometimes I have this lack of confidence, and i think whether Its possible to succeed without meds or not... whether im gonna make it or not, whether I can manage my consciousness without meds or im gonna have severe symptoms.. is is the meds? or is it my own psychological issues? maybe Im not doing everything I can and I could do better if I knew what to do to help myself... Maybe this confusion is the reaspn I get derpessed... whoo knooows man...

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi vaseadude,

I've had these same symptoms and thoughts (among others)...I think it's the meds. It sounds like you're doing the typical 'rollercoaster ride'. It does eventually get better but I don't think anyone knows how long it may or may not last. Risperdal is a very powerful drug and is the first drug I've ever had any trouble trying to DC.

I'm not experienced enough to give advice about dosage. Are you still at 2 mg? Maybe Alto can advise you on that. I hope your mood continues to improve, but if you get down again it's most likely the meds. I, too, believe some of my low mood is from thinking about the medicine. I'm also extremely lonely though.

Wishing you well,

Tezza

It did come back again :(

How long did they last for you? how much did you stabilize usually before doing another taper?

• Administrator

vaseadude, it sounds like your system is still accommodating to the switch to the oral form.

It also sounds like you are having the typical waves of symptoms, which can include "depression," coming from a nervous system that's adjusting to chemical change.

Be patient, you'll see more stability eventually.

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature, it will help people understand your context. Instructions here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi vaseadude,

I'm so sorry to hear your symptoms returned. Like Alto was saying it comes and goes in waves. I recently held at a dose for a little over three months. I usually don't decrease now until I've been able to sleep better for a few weeks. Our bodies need rest to heal and the same holds true for our brains. Sometimes we have 'good windows' or 'good waves'. That's a good sign and it's encouraging but I've learned to wait it out until my body lets me know, for sure, that it's time for a decrement.

It's a really good idea to journal your symptoms. I do this so I can look back and see if my good windows are getting longer. I rate symptoms like depression, anxiety, tinnitus, twitches, sleep, etc. It really has helped me know if I need to hold longer. This helps minimize the very horrific symptoms. That's the goal...'be gentle with yourself'. Your CNS has suffered but it WILL heal. Our bodies are designed to heal themselves but we have to give it as much time as it needs. Hang in there, I'm praying for you and wishing you well.

Love,

Tezza