Irritable bowel syndrome: What you can do

Altostrata

• Administrator

Contrary to this report, drugs may not be necessary -- dietary changes can correct IBS. As usual, antidepressants have been oversold as a treatment and only mask a medical problem. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/05/120525103354.htm

Irritable Bowel Syndrome Clearly Linked to Gut Bacteria

ScienceDaily (May 25, 2012) — An overgrowth of bacteria in the gut has been definitively linked to Irritable Bowel Syndrome in the results of a new Cedars-Sinai study which used cultures from the small intestine. This is the first study to use this "gold standard" method of connecting bacteria to the cause of the disease that affects an estimated 30 million people in the United States.

Previous studies have indicated that bacteria play a role in the disease, including breath tests detecting methane -- a byproduct of bacterial fermentation in the gut. This study was the first to make the link using bacterial cultures.

The study, in the current issue of Digestive Diseases and Sciences, examined samples of patients' small bowel cultures to confirm the presence of small intestinal bacterial overgrowth -- or SIBO -- in more than 320 subjects. In patients with IBS, more than a third also were diagnosed with small intestine bacterial overgrowth, compared to fewer than 10 percent of those without the disorder. Of those with diarrhea-predominant IBS, 60 percent also had bacterial overgrowth.

IBS is the most common gastrointestinal disorder in the U.S., affecting an estimated 30 million people. Patients with this condition suffer symptoms that can include painful bloating, constipation, diarrhea or an alternating pattern of both. Many patients try to avoid social interactions because they are embarrassed by their symptoms. Pimentel has led clinical trials that have shown rifaximin, a targeted antibiotic absorbed only in the gut, is an effective treatment for patients with IBS.

"In the past, treatments for IBS have always focused on trying to alleviate the symptoms," said Pimentel, who first bucked standard medical thought more than a decade ago when he suggested bacteria played a significant role in the disease. "Patients who take rifaximin experience relief of their symptoms even after they stop taking the medication. This new study confirms what our findings with the antibiotic and our previous studies always led us to believe: Bacteria are key contributors to the cause of IBS."

The study is a collaboration with researchers at Sismanogleion General Hospital in Athens, Greece, and at the University of Athens.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/05/110511092409.htm

Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Common Gastrointestinal Disorder Linked to Bacterial Overgrowth, Food Poisoning

ScienceDaily (May 11, 2011) — Cedars-Sinai researchers have reported two advances in the understanding of irritable bowel syndrome, the most common gastrointestinal disorder in the United States, affecting an estimated 30 million people.

One study provides further evidence that IBS is linked to an overgrowth of bacteria in the gut. In a separate study, a mathematical model reveals the disease's link to food poisoning and shows that military personnel are at a much higher risk for the disorder than the rest of the population.

The findings were reported at Digestive Disease Week, the world's largest gathering of physicians and researchers in gastroenterology, hepatology, endoscopy and gastrointestinal surgery. The May 7-10 conference occurred in Chicago. IBS is the most common gastrointestinal disorder in the United States, affecting more than 20 percent of the population. Doctors commonly categorize patients with a "constipation predominant" condition, a "diarrhea-predominant" condition, or an alternating pattern of diarrhea and constipation. These patients also often experience abdominal pain or cramps, excess gas or bloating, and visible abdominal distension.

In collaboration with researchers at Sismanogleion General Hospital in Athens, Greece, and at the University of Athens, scientists looked at small bowel cultures to confirm the presence of small intestinal bacterial overgrowth -- or SIBO -- in patients with IBS....

In a separate study, using a mathematical model, researchers concluded that food poisoning -- gastroenteritis -- may account for the majority of irritable bowel syndrome cases. Further, it predicts a greater incidence of the disease for populations at a higher risk of these kinds of infections, such as military personnel. The study was based on data from the Centers for Disease Control and other research studies. The model projects that 9 percent of those with a genetic predisposition would contract IBS after 10 years. However, among high risk groups such as deployed military, 9 percent of that population would develop the disease in a six month time frame.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I thought I saw Alto post on this article but I can't find it now...anyway...I did commentary on it...many of us on psych meds have ravaged guts for a variety of reasons. I do a lot of research and study on this topic.

original link where you can also find other links to the topic: http://beyondmeds.com/2012/05/28/ibsgutbacteria/

Irritable Bowel Syndrome Clearly Linked to Gut Bacteria (and how I cured my IBS by knowing this)

An article in Science Daily reports on a study about bacteria being associated with irritable bowel syndrome. This is, of course, something those of us who use alternative methods of healing have known for a long time. It’s the WRONG bacteria that is problematic. Unhealthy bacteria, rather than the enough of the good bacteria we need in our guts for all around good body/mind health, not just gut health.

I healed my IBS a long time ago with dietary changes and lots of probiotics. This combination, diet and probiotics, allows for repopulation of healthy gut bacteria while killing off the bad one. I initially used capsules for the probiotics. The brand I used was Primal Defense, by Garden of Life. I also used various enzymes to aid digestion. Now I make home-made probiotic veggies and beverages as well. (lacto-fermented foods and beverages) I eat and drink them daily. My irritable bowel syndrome has been gone for several years but that was following over 2 decades of severe IBS with chronic diarrhea. Our bodies really do respond to natural care and nurturing. I went to several gastroenterologists through the years prior to taking my health into my own hands and they did nothing to help me save prescribe drugs that often made matters worse. This sort of treatment is unfortunately common throughout all of conventional medicine, especially when dealing with chronic issues.

Of note, I link the onset of my IBS to long-term antibiotic use. I was foolishly given amoxicillin for my mild, typical and normal teenage acne. I took it for a couple of years! I think that antibiotic use set me up for the chronic illness I’m now faced with. Antibiotics kill the good bacteria in our systems too and when our guts repopulate it’s often with bad bacteria the good one lost unless we put effort in to replace it. Conventional doctors tend to think probiotics are woo. They often discredit such treatment. ”Medicine” did a real number on me. It does a number on lots of innocent people. Perhaps eventually with studies of this sort coming to light they’ll start to realize what they’re doing.

So the article from Science Daily:

Irritable Bowel Syndrome Clearly Linked to Gut Bacteria

An overgrowth of bacteria in the gut has been definitively linked to Irritable Bowel Syndrome in the results of a new Cedars-Sinai study which used cultures from the small intestine. This is the first study to use this “gold standard” method of connecting bacteria to the cause of the disease that affects an estimated 30 million people in the United States. read the rest

This is one of the topics I bring up again and again because knowing how to heal your gut and eat the foods that keep it healthy is key to everyone’s well-being. Conventional medicine is just beginning to understand this, but there is lots of information available so that one might take care of their own health regardless of what your doctor might or might not know.

Often gut problems are directly associated with distress that is experienced mentally as well. Many people need to eliminate foods that they are unknowingly intolerant of as well as they too irritate the gut.

Info on food allergies — they can affect body and mind both

Eating real whole food is important to our mental and physical wellbeing

For even more information on gut health see here: Nutrition and Gut Health

Good book to learn about fermentation and diet both: Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook that Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats

And for fermentation alone this is a classic: Wild Fermentation: The Flavor, Nutrition, and Craft of Live-Culture Foods

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

• Moderator Emeritus

Conventional doctors tend to think probiotics are woo. They often discredit such treatment. ”Medicine” did a real number on me. It does a number on lots of innocent people. Perhaps eventually with studies of this sort coming to light they’ll start to realize what they’re doing.

Amazing, isn't it? We "patients" put food into our mouths several times a day, every day, and mainstream doctors barely know a thing about nutrition. I had what was diagnosed as IBS for years and finally figured out for myself that I'm gluten-intolerant (with the help of a book called We Don't Die, We Kill Ourselves by Dr. Roger L. DeHann).

I'm so disillusioned with mainstream medicine and the enormous influence being exerted by Big Pharma, I really don't hold out any hope that doctors are going to figure out what they're doing or even care that they don't know what they're doing. There is no incentive to make people well except for that rare doctor who cares more about patient well-being than his or her own income. Big Pharma, meantime, continues to reward doctors for prescribing their drugs, regardless of serious side effects, and that prescribing in turn, continues to supply the doctors with a steady stream of patients who are sick, but unaware that the medical treatment itself is the problem. It is an evil system, IMO, and better abandoned than fixed.

BTW, I love the book Wild Fermentation. I was disappointed when it first arrived from Amazon as it appeared to be nothing more than a thick pamphlet, but the recipe for a small batch of kimchi turned out to be priceless. As a one person household, making a family-sized batch of sauerkraut is overkill, but thanks to this book, I can make something similar in a quart Mason jar that ferments faster and is just as good.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Administrator

Thanks, Gia, merged the topics in Symptoms.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

ah good...I was looking for your post but couldn't find it, thank you.

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

• 1 year later...
  • Administrator

I made a start on managing my irritable bowel syndrome (if that's what it was) many years ago. I had alternating constipation and loose bowel movements with a lot of gas. Here was my solution:

• Get regular by taking Metamucil at the same time every day. This took a few weeks.
  • Upon rising, drink 1-3 glasses of water. This gets the gut moving. (Work up gradually on amount of water consumed.)
  • Take oat bran tablets with the water. (Some people take psyllium.) Oat bran adds fiber and, as a bonus, reduces cholesterol absorption. (Work up gradually on number of oat bran tablets.)
  • Eat fiber every day -- more fresh fruits and vegetables.
  • Eat yogurt every day.
  • Be sure not to get dehydrated -- drink water throughout the day.

This worked very well, resolving many of my gut problems. Later, I found out about probiotics. I would add them to the regimen above.

• Moderator Emeritus

I agree with all of the above except for the probiotics.  I haven't found one that works yet, anyway.  I tried Dr. Mercola's probiotic in a capsule, but half a dose gave me diarrhea.  Ditto even tiny amounts of Kim-chi.

At one point in time I was prescribed a drug called Bentyl, which I found out later was nothing but Valium died blue instead of yellow. No one noticed that I had also been prescribed Valium at the same time. I have no idea how being stoned so much of the time affected me, my job, and my marriage at the time, which was back in the late seventies.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• 2 months later...
  • Administrator

Gut bacteria thrive in soluble fiber.

http://www.medpagetoday.com/Gastroenterology/IrritableBowelSyndrome/15781

Psyllium, Not Bran, Best Source of Fiber for IBS
Published: Sep 1, 2009

Soluble fiber from psyllium husk is better for irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) than the insoluble type contained in bran products, according to Dutch researchers who compared them in a randomized trial.

The findings bolstered earlier research suggesting that soluble fiber from psyllium -- also known as ispaghula -- is more effective in relieving IBS than bran.

Bijkerk and colleagues found that psyllium was as effective in patients with constipation-dominant IBS as in patients with mixed or diarrhea-dominant disease.

Adverse events did not differ between treatments. Most patients reported flatulence, diarrhea, and/or constipation during the study. Other common events included back pain, headache, fatigue, and muscle and joint pain.

Despite these limitations, Bijkerk and colleagues concluded that "the addition of soluble fibre, such as psyllium, but not bran, [is] an effective first treatment approach in the clinical management of patients with IBS."

From the alternative medicine resources at U of Maryland Medical Center http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/supplement/psyllium

(why is this alternative???)

The soluble fiber found in psyllium husks can help lower cholesterol. Psyllium can help relieve both constipation and diarrhea, and is used to treat irritable bowel syndrome, hemorrhoids, and other intestinal problems. Psyllium has also been used to help regulate blood sugar levels in people with diabetes. When psyllium husk comes in contact with water, it swells and forms a gelatin like mass that helps transport waste through the intestinal tract. Several large population based studies also suggest that increased fiber intake may reduce risk of colon cancer, but other studies have been conflicting.

Unfortunately, unless I take Trader Joes probiotics, I seem to react badly to them as I discovered the one I was taking was causing the rectal bleeding even though I was taking 1/2 of the dose.    Guess I am going to have to find a way to get out there which is hard for me since I rarely drive due to my sleep issues.

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• 1 year later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Psyllium is a nice cheap source of soluble fiber.  I prefer to take it in capsules rather than mix it in a drink.

Over the years, I have shifted from psyllium after reading about how it can be irritating, and wondering if my 5 grams of psyllium a day was causing problems.  While I have not had bariatric surgery, I have heard of problems especially with people who have had it and digesting fiber, especially the fast expanding psyllium.

I have shifted to 2 grams glucomannan a day and 3 grams of a fiber blend with flaxseed, oat bran, and acacia fiber.  I just checked, all of these are mucilaginous and water soluble, but also contain insoluble fiber.  (I used to have a great one called "Fiberzyme" which included apple pectin an papaya enzymes, and lots of other good stuff - but it is discontinued)  

It is my understanding that even though insoluble can be irritating for IBS - it also is part of the "bulk" and "push" of digestion, and that - if you can tolerate it - a blend is good.

HOWEVER, I am still splashy-poo (though I have stabilised on this blend of fiber previously) so I am looking again at my minerals and intolerances (currently avoiding dairy and wheat)

My probiotics are - PB8 + I take a trillion lactobacilli and bifidus bacteria in a "Progurt" sachet when I'm having an attack.  I also will add a little l.reuteri (with caution) which is supposed to be helpful for bloating and diarrhea.  I probably take less than 10 of those "pearls" a month.

Novel concept for gas, pain and bloating:  In consultation with my herbalist, I'm working on a charcoal suppository with charcoal, a little camillia senesis (black tea) and coconut oil.  Initial tests are positive.  I decided to try this when I noticed that the pain and suffering was in lower small intestine and large intestine - and if I took charcoal orally, it just absorbed all my medicine, supplements, and nutrients, and took hours to get to the source of the agony - if at all.  I figure by the time the bloating and gas get to the rectum (lower bowel), I've already gotten most of my nutrients, and it does decrease bloating and suffering - almost right away! - even if it turns my bum black for a couple of days.

Woo!  Rough topic... 

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• 9 months later...

I am having digestive problems some acid reflux and irritation. I am trying a low histamine diet so I have been eliminating foods that help digestion in the past .I have  sensitivity to many foods. Right now I can't tolerate high fiber foods. I have some capsules of Psylium fiber.  Any recent experiences with Psyllium fiber and the improvement of digestive issues would be appreciated?

2006-2007 Lexapro (not sure of dose) in 2006

2007 Stopped abruptly. Developed serious wd symptom.Went back after two weeks and  tapered successfully over 3 months

November 2013  started 10 mg of Celexa for hormonal symptoms

early 2014 cutdown Celexa to 5 mg.Attempted to get off it November 2014 and had  

Anxiety increased  every time I used  an OTC or had stress.

April-May Cortisol spike problems 

July 2016 Started taking liquid Celexa 7.5 mg

June 2021 I finished my taper en

Severe anxiety and insomnia

June 2022 symptoms omproved

July 2023 gut issues and sleep issues contnue

Having chronic constipation despite eating oatbran, LSA mix, prunes, fruit, etc I tried psyllium husks starting with 1tsp and found it made me worse.  I stopped it and tried several more times with similar results so I upped the oatbran but found that was just as bad.  Then I started taking the oatbran 1tsp at a time 3 times a day and that helped.  I think much is experimenting to get the right balance.  My guts is still still croook, but at leas tolerable and now when the constipation is severe,  It ake 1/2 tsp psyllium in a glass of water at bedtime.

1995-2007      20mg Aropax/Paxil for pain.  Years of up and down doses

2008                Endep, Lexapro and then Esipram (hell!) CT (oh dear!)

2009                20mg Aropax.  Tried skipping doses for a year (more hell!)

2010                10mg.  10% taper.  Lasted 4 months. Crashed again

2011                5% taper. 9mg-7mg (hell got even worse!)

2012                2.5% taper.  6.6mg – 5.6mg (worser still & unbearable)

2013                5% taper.  Big mistake.  5.5mg – 4.6mg  (even worserer)

2014                2.5% taper.  4.9mg – 4.5mg;    2015 2.5% taper 4.4 - 4.0mg

2016                2.5% taper.  3.9mg  Feb 3.8   Mar 3.7  May 3.6   Jul 3.5

2017                2.5% taper.  Jan 3.4;   Mar 3.35;  Apr 3.3; Oct 3; Dec 2.9;

2018                2.5% taper. Jan 2.8; Mar 2.7; Mar: 2.75; Jun 2.7; Aug 2.6; Oct 2.5; Nov 2.4; Dec 2.3

2019                Jan 2.2; Feb 2.1;

I am having digestive problems some acid reflux and irritation. I am trying a low histamine diet so I have been eliminating foods that help digestion in the past .I have  sensitivity to many foods. Right now I can't tolerate high fiber foods. I have some capsules of Psylium fiber.  Any recent experiences with Psyllium fiber and the improvement of digestive issues would be appreciated?

What's your low histamine diet?

Past AD Experiences : (Fluvoxamine 3 years, D/C'd @ age 15).

Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it

~Terry Pratchett~

WITHDRAWAL REGIMEN/STORY

Originally for OCD, the luvox took about 6 months to taper off.

Withdrawal supplements; lemon balm, Vitamin B3, black water/fulvic acid, high-protein diet to restore neurotransmitters, aniracetam to counter memory issues, deprenyl for persisting anhedonia.

Regimen still maintained til this day. Lemon balm, generally as capsules, however, as I suffer chronic Insomnia, I often use essential oil or as aromatherapy before bed , in combination with magnesium and lysine on bad nights.

I am now eating chicken, white rice...my digestion couldn't tolerate brown rice. I am also eating several vegetables: yellow squash, zucchini, asparagus, a little broccoli and onion  once in a while and corn bread muffins.  I can eat blueberries, mango and cantaloupe. I just started working with a dietitian out of Canada who knows a lot about low histamine issues. I am doing a baseline diet right now and will start adding foods in a couple of weeks. I am doing much better since I started working with my eating. It is pretty limited and I have been losing weight. I am overweight so It's not too bad but I worry about meeting my nutritional needs.

I also found a psychiatrist sensitive to food issues. He wondered if I have gut flora disruption and/or candida but I am dealing with one things at a time. He is very flexible and is willing to work with a slow taper so I'm pleased. 

2006-2007 Lexapro (not sure of dose) in 2006

2007 Stopped abruptly. Developed serious wd symptom.Went back after two weeks and  tapered successfully over 3 months

November 2013  started 10 mg of Celexa for hormonal symptoms

early 2014 cutdown Celexa to 5 mg.Attempted to get off it November 2014 and had  

Anxiety increased  every time I used  an OTC or had stress.

April-May Cortisol spike problems 

July 2016 Started taking liquid Celexa 7.5 mg

June 2021 I finished my taper en

Severe anxiety and insomnia

June 2022 symptoms omproved

July 2023 gut issues and sleep issues contnue

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone,

I'm having a tough time with suspected IBS and/or diverticular disease. I would write about it here but I thought I would link to the latest post in my thread. I haven't found a solution yet but will update here and in my thread when I do. I am trying daily probiotics to see if I get some relief. I also welcome any advice, thank you. 

Note to mods: I am not sure if linking my thread here is okay so please let me know if not, and of course, remove it. 

Wishing you all relief from your digestive problems and long windows :)

2012: 2 weeks of paroxetine, I cannot recall the dose. Strong side effects, stopped cold turkey, had intense, horrible withdrawal thereafter

2012 to 2016: Fluoxetine 40mg daily, sometimes 20mg daily, a couple of bad tapers under doctor's advisement, increasingly bad withdrawal symptoms with each major dose change

Oct 2016 to June 2017: 10-month reinstatement of 20mg fluoxetine daily to stabilize. A very difficult period but withdrawal gradually improved

July 2017: At 20mg (100%), started a linear tapering regimen using water titration (20mg fluoxetine into 300ml of water).

June 2019: Currently at 0.200mg (1.00%). I have many symptoms, most I attribute to fluoxetine, some to withdrawal, and the rest to hypothyroidism. Continuing to reduce anyway.

July 2019: Jumped from 0.066mg (0.33%) to 0.000mg (0.00%); I'm now free of the poison.

My introduction thread: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/14226-kittygiggles-generic-prozac-fluoxetine-stabilization/

I'm also on this "gut healing" road.

I've started taking Slippery Elm (as of yesterday) but I'm also taking:

Charcoal capsules

Oregano oil capsules

Probiotics

Alkaliser for the gut ("MetaClear" by NutriAdvanced)

AdrenoMax by NutriAdvanced

I'm staying clear of all processed foods, sugar and gluten.   My diet is also choc full of prebiotics, and I have started eating probiotic yoghurt.

Maybe in a couple of weeks I'll see how things stand with the candida issue in my small intestine.  

However, I have backed off with the anti-fungal supplements and am eating anti-fungal foods instead due to "die-off" symptoms.

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

Hi Junglechicken,

I can see from your signature you're on a detailed journey to get to the root of your problem and have been through an overwhelming amount of ****. I wish you the best of luck and hope you can update us with any progress. 

2012: 2 weeks of paroxetine, I cannot recall the dose. Strong side effects, stopped cold turkey, had intense, horrible withdrawal thereafter

2012 to 2016: Fluoxetine 40mg daily, sometimes 20mg daily, a couple of bad tapers under doctor's advisement, increasingly bad withdrawal symptoms with each major dose change

Oct 2016 to June 2017: 10-month reinstatement of 20mg fluoxetine daily to stabilize. A very difficult period but withdrawal gradually improved

July 2017: At 20mg (100%), started a linear tapering regimen using water titration (20mg fluoxetine into 300ml of water).

June 2019: Currently at 0.200mg (1.00%). I have many symptoms, most I attribute to fluoxetine, some to withdrawal, and the rest to hypothyroidism. Continuing to reduce anyway.

July 2019: Jumped from 0.066mg (0.33%) to 0.000mg (0.00%); I'm now free of the poison.

My introduction thread: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/14226-kittygiggles-generic-prozac-fluoxetine-stabilization/

28 minutes ago, Kittygiggles said:

Hi Junglechicken,

I can see from your signature you're on a detailed journey to get to the root of your problem and have been through an overwhelming amount of ****. I wish you the best of luck and hope you can update us with any progress. 

Hi Kitty,

Thank you, I wish you the best of luck too.

Yes, I've had my fair share of ****.

I have a very supportive Naturopath who has been "holding my hand" for over a year now.  However, that luxury is very costly.

Dont worry, I do regular updates on here, but am not "out of the woods".

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

• 1 month later...

I had IBS as soon as I weaned off most of my medication. It goes hand in hand with my anxiety so I haven’t paid it much attention. Does anyone else have this? 

29y.o.  Started Lexapro, 15mg in 2013 for anxiety and depression.

9/28/15- Started taper, went down to 10mg, then 5mg by 10/31/15. 

1/2016-  anxiety, nausea, fatigue, crying spells, sadness, by January. Reinstated back to 10mg.  Leveled out.   1/1/2018- Began further taper, down to 0mg by 1/31/2018.  Last dose was 2.5mg. Feelings of dizziness during taper recommended by pdoc.  Slowed down taper, but still had symptoms of stomach upset.

2/12/18 - Dealing with symptoms of dizziness, anxiety, sadness, stomach upset.  2/20/18 - Reinstating medication with .6mg.  2/21/18 - Emotionally feeling better.  Dizziness much improved.  2/24/18 - Went to sleep with extreme feeling of chills.  No fever.  Fatigue.  3/19/18 - Increased anxiety.  5/1/18- Began therapy.  Have trouble with anxiety and GI symptoms.  9/22/18 - Decrease to .5mg.  Anxiety, GI, chills.  9/26/18 - back up to .6mg.  10/31/18 - app Curable, feeling distinct change in outlook and anxiety levels decreased.

2/1/19 - not seeing improvement in anxiety.  started 10mg Prozac  2/7/19 - up to 20mg Prozac, experiencing chills, tiredness  2/21/19 - tapering down to 10mg

• Moderator Emeritus

I used to have IBS symptoms for years, mainly painful intestinal cramps.  I found taking aloe vera juice (inner gel only, no latex) daily alleviated it by about 90%.  Then a few years ago I switched to a gluten-free diet and my IBS went away.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

I know I'm not gluten intolerant, but I have Candida issues in small intestine.

Major Life Events: 

After coming on SA, I weaned myself off the PPI Omeprazole (mostly only 10mg/day) which I had taken for decades due to gastritis/heartburn/indigestion/food intolerances.

PPIs are not recommended for the elderly as they cause malabsorption of (some?) B vitamins.

Since being on the UK probiotic capsules made by Healthspan I have been free of gut trouble almost entirely.

I do however make sure I do not overindulge in triggers like alcoholic drinks, chocolate, spiced food.

Cannot believe how the probiotics seem to work.

One less hassle to deal with in life, at least.

Born 1945. 

1999 - First Effexor/Venlafaxine

2016 Withdrawal research. Effexor.  13Jul - 212.5mg;  6Aug - 200.0mg;  24Aug - 187.5mg;  13Sep - 175.0mg;  3Oct - 162.5mg;  26Oct - 150mg 

2017  9Jan - 150.00mg;  23Mar - 137.50mg;  24Apr - 125.00mg;  31May - 112.50mg holding;  3Sep - 100.00mg;  20Sep - 93.75mg;  20Oct - 87.5mg;  12Nov - 81.25mg;  13 Dec - 75.00mg

2018  18Jan - 69.1mg; 16Feb - 62.5mg; 16March - 57.5mg (-8%); 22Apr - 56.3mg(-2%); CRASHED - Updose 29May - 62.5mg; Updose - 1Jul - 75.0mg. Updose - 2Aug - 87.5mg. Updose - 27Aug - 100.0mg. Updose - 11Oct 112.5mg. Updose - 6Nov 125.00mg

2019 Updoses 19 Jan - 150.0mg. 1April - 162.5mg. 24 April - Feeling better - doing tasks, getting outside.  7 May - usual depression questionnaire gives "probably no depression" result.

Supps/Vits  Omega 3;  Chelated Magnesium;  Prebiotics/Probiotics, Vit D3. 

• 2 weeks later...

Update 

I found a great deal of relief (up to 100% on some days with an average of about >70% reduction in pain most days). I attribute this recovery to a few possibilities but of course it could all be withdrawal/fluoxetine:

1. Prebiotic (Beta-Galactooligasaccharide) and a new probiotic(Lactobacillus Acidophilus)
  2. The relief from knowing that my abdominal pain is almost certainly not serious (from a gastroenterologist consultation), which can lead to ignoring the symptoms responsibly
  3. A slight (but significant) increase in my hypothyroidism medication, levothyroxine
  4. Continuing my normal, healthy diet (no processed foods and avoiding wheat)

There's a little more detail in my thread but the main points above are probably all that's relevant:-

• 1 month later...
On 11/28/2013 at 6:55 PM, Altostrata said:

I made a start on managing my irritable bowel syndrome (if that's what it was) many years ago. I had alternating constipation and loose bowel movements with a lot of gas. Here was my solution:

hi alto,

I am having gut problems, the same bowel movements as what you mention here but with a lot of mucus, did you have any pain? I do not have any pain or discomfort which is strange?

looking back i am certain this all started a few months ago after I used anti-biotics, totally changed my diet now and using psyllium husk powder etc, got doctors appointment on monday, really anxious at moment as dont know what is going on inside me,

2001 - 2005 prozac,  2001 - 2017 various benzos, mainly diazapem and zanex,  2002 - 2017 olanzapine or seroquel,  2002 -2017 propanolol, 2005 - 2009 venlafaxine 75mg , forced to go cold turkey off venlafaxine as moved Thailand, doctor cut me off and couldn't get it there, severely ill for over 2 years, countered withdrawals with more zanex and seroquel

2014 returned to UK, mainly to get treatment getting off meds

doctor advised to taper seroquel over a few weeks, severely ill and bed bed-bound so reinstated it, 2015 tapered seroquel myself slower over a few months, was off it 2 months and was too ill so went on olanzapine, became zombie and too tired to get out of bed, went back on seroquel, very depressed so went back on venlafaxine, didnt work  so doctor swapped to zoloft became very agitated so back on venlafaxine

June 2016 - felt strong enough to begin tapering again, started what I thought was a slow taper of all meds,  2016 July Not had any alcoholic drink since this date, 

2016 October completely off diazepem, 2017 Feb completely off seroquel, 2017 March completely off proponanlol, 2017 April (day before birthday) completely off venlafaxine, OFF ALL MEDS 11/4/2017, was fine for nearly 3 months and then delayed withdrawal hit,

supplements taking: turmeric capsules, NiaCel (nicotinamide riboside), Vit B12 sublingual, Vit B3, Vit B6, Vit B1, apple cider vinegar, manuka umf 10 honey, camu camu powder,  melatonin when needed, epsom salt baths, juices, smoothies, 

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15175-dj2010-off-all-meds-for-3-months-and-been-fine-now-bad-insomnia/

• Administrator

I don't recall a lot of mucus or pain, just lots of bloating and gas. Psyllium husk powder helped get me regular. Eating lots of fresh green veggies will do it, too -- plus, you get all those wonderful nutrients.

• Moderator Emeritus

11 hours ago, dj2010 said:

hi alto,

I am having gut problems, the same bowel movements as what you mention here but with a lot of mucus, did you have any pain? I do not have any pain or discomfort which is strange?

looking back i am certain this all started a few months ago after I used anti-biotics, totally changed my diet now and using psyllium husk powder etc, got doctors appointment on monday, really anxious at moment as dont know what is going on inside me,

Mucus can be a sign of ulcerative colitis, which I used to have.  

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

22 hours ago, Altostrata said:

I don't recall a lot of mucus or pain, just lots of bloating and gas. Psyllium husk powder helped get me regular. Eating lots of fresh green veggies will do it, too -- plus, you get all those wonderful nutrients.

thanks alto, eating very healthy now, noticed a lot more mucus today so got in doctors early and had a few tests, now thinking over everything and realising it might be psyllium husk that been using a lot of over last couple days and not mucus as psyllium husk turns gel like and looks the same,

thanks

2001 - 2005 prozac,  2001 - 2017 various benzos, mainly diazapem and zanex,  2002 - 2017 olanzapine or seroquel,  2002 -2017 propanolol, 2005 - 2009 venlafaxine 75mg , forced to go cold turkey off venlafaxine as moved Thailand, doctor cut me off and couldn't get it there, severely ill for over 2 years, countered withdrawals with more zanex and seroquel

doctor advised to taper seroquel over a few weeks, severely ill and bed bed-bound so reinstated it, 2015 tapered seroquel myself slower over a few months, was off it 2 months and was too ill so went on olanzapine, became zombie and too tired to get out of bed, went back on seroquel, very depressed so went back on venlafaxine, didnt work  so doctor swapped to zoloft became very agitated so back on venlafaxine

June 2016 - felt strong enough to begin tapering again, started what I thought was a slow taper of all meds,  2016 July Not had any alcoholic drink since this date, 

2016 October completely off diazepem, 2017 Feb completely off seroquel, 2017 March completely off proponanlol, 2017 April (day before birthday) completely off venlafaxine, OFF ALL MEDS 11/4/2017, was fine for nearly 3 months and then delayed withdrawal hit,

supplements taking: turmeric capsules, NiaCel (nicotinamide riboside), Vit B12 sublingual, Vit B3, Vit B6, Vit B1, apple cider vinegar, manuka umf 10 honey, camu camu powder,  melatonin when needed, epsom salt baths, juices, smoothies, 

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15175-dj2010-off-all-meds-for-3-months-and-been-fine-now-bad-insomnia/

22 hours ago, Gridley said:

Mucus can be a sign of ulcerative colitis, which I used to have.  

had blood test today and stool sample, should know results next week, I do not have any other symptoms which is strange, no pain or anything, every morning I drink a large glass of warm lemon water, I am wandering if that might be causing it as so acidic, I have read this happened to another person from drinking lots lemon water, going to stop drinking it for a while

thanks

2 hours ago, dj2010 said:

had blood test today and stool sample, should know results next week, I do not have any other symptoms which is strange, no pain or anything, every morning I drink a large glass of warm lemon water, I am wandering if that might be causing it as so acidic, I have read this happened to another person from drinking lots lemon water, going to stop drinking it for a while

thanks

You can do a PH test on your pee DJ and see how acidic it is ,I doubt lemon water will cause this .don't drink liquid before or after meals because it dilutes the stomach acid needed to digest food .dont just take pills alone  from the DR .I must do a PH test myself ,ive been eating a lot of acidic things myself the last good few months . 

http://www.thebestofrawfood.com/ph-test-strips.html

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

On 8/10/2018 at 6:55 PM, powerback said:

You can do a PH test on your pee DJ and see how acidic it is ,I doubt lemon water will cause this .don't drink liquid before or after meals because it dilutes the stomach acid needed to digest food .dont just take pills alone  from the DR .I must do a PH test myself ,ive been eating a lot of acidic things myself the last good few months . 

http://www.thebestofrawfood.com/ph-test-strips.html

thanks PB, the mucus turned out to be psyllium husk gel lol, got myself into a right state, I forgot just how bad anxiety can get, was bedridden with it and lost over half a stone with anxiety and worrying over the last week,

2 hours ago, dj2010 said:

thanks PB, the mucus turned out to be psyllium husk gel lol, got myself into a right state, I forgot just how bad anxiety can get, was bedridden with it and lost over half a stone with anxiety and worrying over the last week,

Lol at least you know what it was .get a strategy for anxiety going forward ,our brains run away with themselves .its very frustrating and tiring .

Take care.

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

• 4 weeks later...

Recent studies by Israeli scientists reveal that probiotics do nothing to support our gut health.

Sorry, I couldn't find any articles to back this up, but it was on the news last week.

Major Life Events: 

• 1 year later...

I'd like to talk about bowel movements. I see many of us are struggling with constipation. Has anyone had any success using Triphala or other supplements to encourage elimination? 

Edited by manymoretodays
merged to IBS topic

2005-2009 Various ADs and maybe some random Ativan, nothing long-term

2009 Started Celexa 10 mg

2012 Symptoms of depression worsened when I quit drinking, started a course of Viibryd (10 mg), Buspar (5 mg), Xanax

2013 Hospitalized, added Lamictal in the hospital (quit Lamictal cold turkey in 2014)

2014 Switched back to Celexa from Viibryd

2015 Quit Buspar cold turkey

2016 Cut down to 5 mg of Celexa (all seemingly without issues)

June-August 2017 tapered off Celexa

October 2017 Hospitalized for insomnia (quit sleeping entirely)

reinstated w/ Trintellix 5mg (stopped in 1/18) and 7.5 mg of Mirtazapine

Mirtazapine (in mgs) 2/18 5,  6/19 3.5, 9/25/19 3.2, 2/24/20 2.9, 3/2020 2.85, 6/20/20 2.5, 10/3/20 2.3, 11/30/20 2.1, 1/1/21 1.95 3/19/21 1.86 9/1/21 1.65 11/30 1.5 mgs 3/1/22 1.41 mgs 6/28/22 1.37 mgs 10/22 1.20 mgs

Daily supplements: 470 mgs magnesium, Miralax, 640 Omega complex, probiotic, testosterone 2 gms, progesterone 12.5 mgs

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi LiaJ, @LiaJ

merged your new topic over here to the IBS discussion.  Seemed the best place for it.

Best, L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

On 1/11/2020 at 7:38 AM, LiaJ said:

I'd like to talk about bowel movements. I see many of us are struggling with constipation. Has anyone had any success using Triphala or other supplements to encourage elimination? 

Magnesium citrate, ginger tea, and eating stewed rhubarb have been somewhat helpful for me. Serotonin antagonists are the best for motility but are not really a safe option for people in withdrawal. Triphala is not recommended for people taking antidepressants as they interact with eachother, but if you're not longer on anything it may be okay.

Best thing I have ever had for stomach issues is doing TRE and Celery juice.   Celery juice completely cured my bloating.  TRE made my bowl movements easy and bulky.  TRE releases the PSOAS muscle over time that is known as the fight or flight muscle.    Takes a little while but for me it was always because of anxiety where I am subconsciously tensing my muscles.   I never have been able to reach down and touch below my toes.  Now I can bend over and almost put my palms on the ground.   All the tension was released.  If you decide to do it make sure to join a facebook group and go very slow.  It releases old trauma's to help you fully heal.   Best part it is 100% free unless you get a coach which is highly recommend for the first 3 sessions then you can do it by yourself.

https://traumaprevention.com/

I stopped taking a probiotic, digestive enzymes, hydrochloric acid. etc. etc.

February 2017 started Ambien (Whatever the highest dose was) and Ativan 1.5mg

March 2017 started lexapro.  15mg  -Weaned off Ativan after about 2 months on it. 

Weaned off Ambien after 4 months on it every night.  Lexapro starting working and didn't need it.

April 2018 started reduced Lexapro.  15mg-12.5mg.

May 18' 10mg, June 18' 7.5mg, July 18' 5mg, August 18' 4.5mg, Sept 18' 4.0mg, Oct 18' 3.5mg, Nov 18' 3.0mg.

Jan 19' 2.5mg, February 19' 2.0mg, From here I went about .10mg drops at a time and sometimes more every 2 weeks depending on how I feel.  That was from February-August 20th 2019.

I got to .30mg and decided to jump off.  It was so small and decided I needed to face my fears.  I created nueral pathways in my brain that I was fearing withdrawal.

Lexapro 0.0mg 8/20/2019

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy