SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Taurine (L-taurine amino acid)

dalsaan

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi everyone,

I have recently been paying a lot of attention to hyperarousal. I decided to do all I could to make sure I wasnt stimulating my system (dropped caffeine, sugar+low gi diet)

and looked into inhibitory amino acids. I started taking Taurine at night about 2 weeks ago. I started off by taking 500mg at night just before bed. For the first couple

of nights I felt a bit spacey but then it just became a relaxed feeling. I also noticed that I wasnt so anxious in the morning.

I was encouraged by this and started taking 500 mg in the morning and over a couple of nights increased my nightly intake to 2grm at night. My sleep improved quite a bit through this.

I then reinstated my magnesium supplement. This was really positive as well. I have now had 3 nights of good quality sleep lasting a minimum of six hours. For me, that is amazing!

I also feel much less stress at work and feel like I'm coping much better.

I think it has been a combination of the dietary changes and the supplements but I could really notice positive changes with the Taurine.

The Magnesium didnt do much for me on its own but added to the Taurine it was great.

obviously everyone is different but I hope this is useful for someone

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

Have you tried Hymalean Sea Salt? It is full of minerals and 1/4 tsp before bed with lots of water is helpfull too.

I have also gone gluton free. Gluton can affect good/bad bacteria in gut; bad gut can affect health and well being.

I am going to try the magnesium - have been meaning too but been putting it off.

Thanks for the info. Good luck with the rest of your tapper. Caro

1995 Post Natal Dep - Zoloft ?dose (as well as 5mg valium and sleeping tablet) Quit after a couple of months.

1998 PND - Effexor-xr 150mg. Tried reducing but failed due to heightened anxiety. Quit cold turkey when pregnant with 3rd child.

2003 PND again on Effexor-xr 150mg. Numerous times tried to wean.

2006 75mg.

2010 Weaned off too fast as per dr recom 75mg every 2nd day etc. was Effexor-xr free for 3 months. Reinstated 75mg

1/6/12 = 72 mg

2/7/12 = 69 mg

16/7/12 = 67.5 mg

1/8/12 = 60 mg

19/8;12 = 52.5 mg

4/9/12 = 45mg

2/10/12 = 37.5 mg

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone,

I have recently been paying a lot of attention to hyperarousal. I decided to do all I could to make sure I wasnt stimulating my system (dropped caffeine, sugar+low gi diet)

and looked into inhibitory amino acids. I started taking Taurine at night about 2 weeks ago. I started off by taking 500mg at night just before bed. For the first couple

of nights I felt a bit spacey but then it just became a relaxed feeling. I also noticed that I wasnt so anxious in the morning.

I was encouraged by this and started taking 500 mg in the morning and over a couple of nights increased my nightly intake to 2grm at night. My sleep improved quite a bit through this.

I then reinstated my magnesium supplement. This was really positive as well. I have now had 3 nights of good quality sleep lasting a minimum of six hours. For me, that is amazing!

I also feel much less stress at work and feel like I'm coping much better.

I think it has been a combination of the dietary changes and the supplements but I could really notice positive changes with the Taurine.

The Magnesium didnt do much for me on its own but added to the Taurine it was great.

obviously everyone is different but I hope this is useful for someone

Dalsaan

Dalsaan hi,

I'm wondering what brand Taurine you are useing? Where are you purchasing and how much is it?

I have read some good things about taurine in conbination with magnesium, have you read anything about the new Magnesium product ReMag by Dr. Carolyn Dean. I just received mine in the mail on the 13th. 100% absorbed.

I find I have to split it up into smaller doses or it becomes too sedating. I am taking 250 mg. spread through out the day.

Anyway I'm curious to know what you can tell me about taurine.

Enjoy your day.

• Administrator

Please, aza, no more about that particular brand name supplement outside of the magnesium topic. You're starting to sound like a sales rep. :)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Aza

I buy my taurine at GNC It's $18 Australian for 50. I take 2 per night 500 mg each but I also take a magnesium powder that has 1000mg taurine. So overall I am taking 2mg plus magnesium

I find that it blunts my arousal and therefore helps me sleep

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

I took taurine and found it helpful for a long time...it ended up turning on me at some point though...and so it's been a long while since I've taken it...

I'm wondering if I should give it another go...

I've always taken mag so I'm not sure if they were working together or not...

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

• Moderator Emeritus

I have found that taurine works better with mag than without. I have also found that the sleep effect poops out after a little while (a couple of weeks). I then stop it for a couple of days or a week and then restart. It seems to work again when I do this

I dont know why that happens but I don't think I'm imagining it : )

Please, aza, no more about that particular brand name supplement outside of the magnesium topic. You're starting to sound like a sales rep. :)

No problem.

Thanks, have a good day.

I have found that taurine works better with mag than without. I have also found that the sleep effect poops out after a little while (a couple of weeks). I then stop it for a couple of days or a week and then restart. It seems to work again when I do this

I dont know why that happens but I don't think I'm imagining it : )

Thanks dalssan, thats what I use as well.

Have a good day.

Taurine also helps with digestion, as I understand it. Integral to bile production and utilization.

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

• 1 month later...

Any new reports on Taurine?

I've been supplementing with it during the day, 2mg in divided doses. I am considering adding another 1-2g at night for sleep.

I'm being prescribed it by my doctor for liver detoxification benefit. I don't want to overdo it though on the dosage.

Alex

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

I gave it another shot as I suggested I might above and it was NASTY...another substance I'm hyper-sensitive to...I will no longer experiment with amino acids...they've all gone nasty on me pretty much.

I do think it and other amino acids can be helpful for lots of folks though.

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

• Administrator

I just ordered some magnesium taurate, haven't taken it yet, though. Will report back.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I think some, or many, can benefit with specific amino acids. My MD uses various ones for things like mood and stuff. The ones that I find helpful are NAC and sometimes DLPA although I dont like to use DLPA too much because it does stimulate me. Also, l theanine is a good one and GABA seems to work sometimes. I haven t tried taurine but have read some positive things about it.

Various SSRIs/SNRIs 7- 1/2 years

Went Cold Turkey from Celexa 2011, Stayed Off

Psych Drug Free and Loving Life (over 6 years and counting)

How I Stay Well: Diet, exercise, meditation, supplements, etc

• 6 months later...
  • Administrator

Mag taurate didn't seem to add anything to the general effects of magnesium. I'm now taking mag glycinate, seems quite effective.

I've got some taurine but have yet to try it.

• 2 months later...
  • Administrator

I'm finding taurine has a weird effect. It's somewhat sedating but there's something unpleasantly edgy about it, too.

Talked to a knowledgeable doctor, he says taurine has a "sweet spot" but if you take too much, it's stimulating. That's why it's in those energy drinks.

500mg is too much for me. I can do okay with 250mg once a day (NOW brand), in the early evening. It seems to deepen sleep and works well with magnesium, as dalsaan observed.

• 2 months later...
  • Administrator

I was taking taurine 250mg a day, in the evening. That seemed okay, so I started taking 250mg in the morning, too. (It's supposed to be calming for your heart.)

Bad idea! No sleep for days! That amount of taurine was too much for me. Or maybe it turned on me, like it did for Gia.

Be careful with taurine.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm looking into help with my unruly sleep and not sure if supplements from a regular store or a pharmaceutical grade herbal works best?

Unable at this time to correspond by private message.

Link to my Introduction thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2477-aria-my-psych-journey/

Reading my psychiatric records: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5466-drugged-crazy-reading-my-psychiatric-records/

My Success Story is listed under "Aria's Recovery".

• Administrator

Look at the ingredients and get something that has as few additives as possible. I usually buy my supplements online from Swanson or iHerb or Amazon.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking for more info on Taurine, actually. Good to read your experiences with this amino. What concerns me is how it's contraindicated on other benzo sites due to messing with GABA receptors. Alto, can you comment on this or direct me to more info? I'd love to take Taurine for both my heart and to help aide sleep if possible but not if it's overstimulating. 

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18171928

Took A/Ds between 1988-1992 & '92-2011
2011 tapered off Cymbalta 20mg. 
2013 tapered off Seroquel (sleep) 12.5-25mg after 9 yrs. 
2013 tapered off prn Xanax 0.25-0.5mg while reducing Seroquel.
PRN/sporadic use of Xanax x 13+ years. MD said take "as needed" or taper off 4-6 wks and stop. What a joke.
Reinstated Xanax 0.25-.5mg for sleep after a month benzo-free due to sleep deprivation. Continued PRN. 
Currently: 0.5mg at 11 pm, 0.125mg at 7am & 3 pm (0.75mg total)

• Administrator

Interesting about taurine.

I don't think anyone can predict whether this or any other amino will be beneficial. I don't put much store in analyses based on neurotransmitters; they hark back to the "chemical imbalance" days.

All you can do is start very low and see how it works for you.

I would prioritize fish oil and magnesium over any of the aminos, see

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

As I have been struggling through Lexapro withdrawal for almost a year and a half, many of you have probably read some of my posts here. The short story is that my initial symptoms after doing a rapid self-taper of Lexapro (less than a month after 7 years of use) were HORRIFIC. I suffered through intense panic and anxiety, cardiac arrhythmia that put me in a hospital twice, nausea, diarrhea, constant crying jags, complete loss of appetite, a resurgence of agoraphobia, the inability to regulate body temperature and absolutely UNRELENTING insomnia and nightmares.

After 6 months, I regained some balance, my appetite came back a bit, my stomach calmed down some and I was able to sleep for two hours at a time, although not without waking in terror. I wasn't constantly crying and I was able to leave the house for short periods if I didn't go too far away. I thought I was on the road to recovery until 3 months later when a cardiac event put me in the hospital overnight. It was determined that I do not have a heart problem - but that I am in perimenopause, which the Lexapro was doing a fantastic job of controlling. The hormonal fluctuations every month were causing my already very hypersensitive nervous system to overreact causing the crazy tachycardia and PVCs. I was placed on a beta blocker (very low dose Toprol XL) to help manage this issue.

Three more months went by and I gained some stability on the Toprol, but I was still having monthly cardiac episodes, constant anxiety with occasional panic attacks, and my sleep was still a disaster. The nightmares would wake me up in a state of terror every two hours, send my heart galloping like a freight train, and the adrenaline would carry over into the next morning leaving me with a daily dose of wake up anxiety that would NOT go away. I have battled this intense bout of anxiety EVERY DAY when I woke up since August of 2012. EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Until three days ago.

I am going to say this right out of the gate so it is clear. Any decisions I have made regarding my care through this process have been my own. Any decision YOU make about your care are your own. I am only sharing my experience because it is so significant that I'm simply baffled by it.

I spent hours researching ways to support the healing process, and tried almost everything anyone recommended in the hope that something - ANYTHING would give me relief. I tried every supplement out there, calcium, magnesium, Vitamin D, Fish Oil. You name it. And I got NOTHING. Zero benefit, no changes.

The symptoms that were scaring me the most were the cardiac ones, so I was most desperate to get that under control. It seems that my sensitivity in withdrawal and my perimenopause causes normal sinus tach to become SVTs or atrial fibrillation. So I began a relentless quest to find a treatment for A-Fib that wasn't invasive and had no side effects. I found several articles, and most of them from reliable, respected sources about a supplement called Taurine. (It's the "opposing" ingredient in Red Bull that counteracts all that caffeine). Basically, Taurine is an amino acid that seems to have this unusual ability to not only SIGNIFICANTLY control bouts of AFib, but also seems to target GABA receptors.

I began experiementing with it two weeks ago. I started taking one 500mg pill every day in the morning to see how I felt. I noticed an immediately calming effect about two hours after I took it. I no longer had that weird inner vibration I've been carrying around for a year and a half, and at night, the two hour wake up calls were far less intense. I bumped up the dosage after a week to two 500mg pills a day - one in the morning, and one just before bed. I take them on a basically empty stomach.

This is where it gets baffling. I am now sleeping four hours at a time, the dreams are less vivid, I am waking up not because of terror - but because I have to go to the bathroom. I am then able to go back to sleep for a few more hours, until the bathroom call wakes me up again. All this has occurred through the most CRITICAL point in my monthly cycle, when my AFIB is typically uncontrollable. And for the past 3 days I have woken up with ZERO anxiety. None. Nothing. Nada. I open my left eye and wait for it. And nothing happens. I get out of bed like a normal human being and go about my day. Which by the way, is a hell of a lot easier this past week. It's like someone flipped a switch and put me on a different track.

I am not for a minute going to presume this will work for everyone. I know how different we all are and how things can so intensely effect us. But I am going to say this... and I stand by it. I feel BETTER. I mean NOTICEABLY better. I'm not crawling out of my skin or nearly as fearful as I was even two weeks ago. I'm going to hold at this dose for another week, and then I'm going to bump it up again to 3 tabs a day to see where it goes. The supplement I use is made by NOW Foods. It's one of the few manufacturers out there that make it in pill form and in smaller dosages.

If you are working with a doctor - feel free to discuss it. If not, jump on the internet (as I know you all will) and dig for info. Just type in Taurine along with anxiety or AFib and see what comes up.

Here's one to get you started. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/suzy-cohen-rph/abnormal-heart-rhythm_b_854619.html

Short term low dose Klonopin use back in 2004
Acute, protracted withdrawal after discontinuing
Began Lexapro in 2005 to ease Benzo withdrawal
Took 2 years to stabilize
Rapid taper from Lexapro in July/August 2012
Return of anxiety, insomnia and cardiac issues
Failed reinstatement early August 2012
Acute withdrawal for 9 months; intermittent symptoms for another 6

Relief on February 9, 2014 after addition of Taurine

Almost complete remission of symptoms w/addition of 12.5mg Atenolol daily

Lexhex how wonderful for you to have found something that helps.  I will read up on it.  Calming and sleeping sounds great.

I did a Lexapr taper and it took me two years.  It was horrible.  I had all of the symptoms you described except the arrhythmia.  My blood pressure was high and I believe Paxil and then lexapro brought that on.

Thanks again

Taurine is a natural amino acid, and magnesium is a mineral, both of these were purchased at the health food store along with an herbal supplement of hawthorn extract. His heart sank into a near-perfect rhythm within two weeks, after suffering for almost two years.

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

I have found that amino acid complex greatly helps with withdrawal symptoms as well. I'm glad you found the thing that works for you!

in 2002- 0,5 tablet cipramil for half a year, ended it uneventfully. in 2006 - citalopram for half a year, ended in horrific state, ditched the drugs CT. 2007-2008 not feeling well but drug free. in 2008 prozac 20mg + quetiapine 25mg. 2009 tried to stop, ended up in hole after couple of months, started zoloft. 2009-2011 zoloft 50mg. went to 25mg in 2011 summer, it resulted in half a year horrible suffering. reinstated, changed drugs, nothing happened. by 2012 beginning suddenly felt great and CT meds. after 4 months came suddenly most horrible human suffering that's possible. was started on prozac and questiapine. started tapering slowly, GFCF diet and Hardy Nutritionals vitamins in 2013 summer. 

current medications: 1) fluoxetine and quetiapine since Aug 2012; 2) Daily Essential Nutrients by Hardy Nutritionals 7 capsules / since May 2013 + omega3; 3) Gluten-free-casein-free diet since june 2013

Started withdrawing slowly since april 2013. Mostly around 10% cuts. 

April'13 - March'14: fluoxetine 40mg -> 19,5mg; quetiapine 50mg -> 40mg
April'14-March'15: fluoxetine 19,5mg -> 14,4mg; quetiapine 40mg -> 22mg

April'15-March'16: fluoxetine 14,4mg -> 7,4mg; quetiapine 22mg -> 15mg

April'16-March'17: fluoxetine 7,4mg -> 5,0mg; quetiapine 15mg -> 7,25mg

April'17-March'18: fluoxetine 5,0mg -> 4,0mg; quetiapine 7,25mg -> 0 (as of 1st Feb 2018)!!!!

April´18-March´19: fluoxetine 4,0mg - > 2,3mg. Jumped off fluoxetine 1,4mg due to pregnancy in July 2019. Oct 2019 severe withdrawal syndrome started.

Took mistakenly a complex for hormonal support that included pregnenolone dec2019-april2020. Stopped it april 2020 and immediately severe akathisia started. Have had life threatening akathisia since, 100% disabled, suicidal, very hard to hold on. 

Lexhex- Thanks so much for the update. I will definitely look into it. The Lexapro withdrawal is what threw me into major symptoms also. I appreciate this site so much!! Where else could we learn about these things but here? Thanks to all who contribute!!

Jan. 1994 Pamelor

2000 switched to Zoloft 

2011 Zoloft pooped out- Dr. switched me directly to Lexapro15mg -had a horrible 6mths

2013 upped Lexapro to 20 mgs-pooped out

June 2013 Dr. added 150 Wellbutrin to Lexapro.

July 2013 Switched back to Zoloft 100mgs.Was still taking Wellbutrin. Lots of anxiety from the Wellbutrin

July 2013 Started to wean Wellbutrin- off by Sept.

Oct. 2013 added 400 mgs of Neurotin to the Zoloft

Jan 2014 Tapered off of the Zoloft and onto Prozac 30 mgs. Also still taking 400 mgs Neurotin

Feb 2014 Reduced Prozac to 13 mgs. Still taking 400 mgs Neurotin

Aug. 2014 Prozac 13 mgs. Finished with Neurotin. .7 Risperadol

About an amino acid complex- there is a supplement called Great Lakes unflavored gelatin - it comes in a powder. Kelly Brogan recommends it. I do take it and it does seem to help with anxiety. I found it on Amazon.

Jan. 1994 Pamelor

2000 switched to Zoloft 

2011 Zoloft pooped out- Dr. switched me directly to Lexapro15mg -had a horrible 6mths

July 2013 Switched back to Zoloft 100mgs.Was still taking Wellbutrin. Lots of anxiety from the Wellbutrin

Jan 2014 Tapered off of the Zoloft and onto Prozac 30 mgs. Also still taking 400 mgs Neurotin

That's so great!!!  I'm going to see a nutritionist and psychologist this coming week and will ask him about that as I withdrawal from Celexa starting next month. I wish you continued success!! I too have that morning anxiety/panic that happens.

Stace- Let us know what the nutritionist says please.

Jan. 1994 Pamelor

2000 switched to Zoloft 

• Administrator

You may wish to visit this forum for atrial fibrillation http://www.afibbers.net/forum/list.php?9

• Moderator Emeritus

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks lexhex, I just ordered some taurine, might as well try it.  I'm glad you have found something which helps.  Do keep us updated.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Moderator Emeritus

wow! What a story!

I'm so happy for you Lexhex and also greatful for the beautiful way in which you shared it with us.

It sounds too good to be true and you describe it so nicely: I can't imagine waking one day as a 'normal' person. As you nicely warn us maybe this substance won't work for most of us in teh same way but maybe there is somewhere out there some other substance which would do the same trick for us.

In any case, I don't know who can not order t after reading this ;) If it was an advert I would just skip it but coming from a fellow sufferer, it's an altogether different thing...

lots of ongoing healing,

bubble

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Just to update... Fourth day no morning anxiety. ;)

I posted this a few months back as I thought it might lower cortistol however it is spelled it is 330 am... yep vit D reaction. 

I bought taurine a few years ago as it was suggested to help with migraines and I was on a roll with them that summer. I learned by accident they calm down the shaking I would get if I had coffee as a usual treatment for migraine would be coffee and advil to start with .. then bit pain meds eventually it the headache got a good hold... 

I had taken he advil and had a coffee already then recalled I bought the taurine and took it too I was shaky from the coffee and the taurine took that shaking away completely. 

It is suppose to be use as a preventative for migraines and does not seem to work if the migraine is because of barometric pressure is what i have found... so here I am up cause of vit D I took this morning and find this thread about taurine.. lol off to the cupboard I went and took one. Tho I am not shaky or edgy really well maybe a little mostly I just ignore that. 

I have to say your taking a  lot more than I would usually do and maybe that is why your having such great results. 

When I am edgy from coffee I will open the capsule and take a part of it about a third.  I have had some very severe reactions to supplements and am gun shy.  I have never taken two a day way too chicken for that. I have also had reactions to supplements of vitamins that did not hit right away.  I know your feeling happy and confident but maybe holding at the two capsules your on now may be a good idea.  Just a suggestion. 

I have the exact same kind and strength of Taurine you have and I have just taken a whole capsule in hope of sleep.If I had not found this thread it would not have crossed my mind to try it.  If it works it maybe a bridge to get my vit D higher without reacting to it.  

Thanks for the idea. 

peace

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

Updating... Still no morning anxiety, sleeping about 5 hours at a time, awakening only to use the bathroom. Daytime anxiety levels are significantly lower. Intestinal issues seem to be shifting as well. Overall my body has calmed down. Still on 2 500mg pills a day, one when I wake up, one just before bed.

So happy for you Lex!

Jan. 1994 Pamelor

2000 switched to Zoloft 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy