Make your own Kombucha! http://wp.me/p5nnb-7pJ

GiaK

wasn't sure where to put this...please move it if this isn't a good place.

Kombucha can be made so that it is both caffeine free (use decaf black or green tea) and sugar free. It’s important for those of us with very sensitive systems to make it both caffeine and sugar free. Directions are below.

Kombucha is a probiotic beverage that helps repopulate the bacteria in ones gut. It is a potent medicine and a delicious beverage. People who are weak or unhealthy need to drink it carefully and in small amounts. Certainly if you are in active withdrawal syndrome of any kind it may not be appropriate until you are healthier. First you might want to add pro-biotic capsules and/or vegetable ferments as well as changing your diet to help heal your whole system. Adding too many potent pro-biotics too quickly can make you feel sicker if you’re in bad shape. Once one slowly adds beneficial bacteria and starts deeply healing the gut one can experiment with Kombucha too. If you’re healthy you don’t have much to be concerned about but start slowly anyway.

see rest of post which includes links and video on how to do it: http://wp.me/p5nnb-7pJ

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

Right on! I make kefir and "water kefir" or "tibicos" which is kind of like kombucha. I use molasses, and let it ferment long enough that the sugar content is low. It does have a bit of alcohol, so I didn't do well with it at first, but then I felt it helped my digestion (though since I drink kefir every day as well, who knows where one ends and the other begins).

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

• Administrator

Very interesting. Doesn't green tea contain caffeine?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I'd be game to learn to make it. I used to drink it but it's the sugar of the store stuff is too much for me now.

I actually have heard that the GT's brand, the original I think, has no caffeine but it does have sugar. It is not made with green tea.

I sometimes drink weak green tea and have taken green tea extract supplements -- they have immune stimulating properties, humoral immune response according to the Th1/Th2Balance Hypothesis -- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12946237

Some say kombucha tastes odd but I like the taste quite a lot and have not noticed issue with the trace alcohol either.

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

from the post:

Kombucha can be made so that it is both caffeine free (use decaf black or green tea) and sugar free. It’s important for those of us with very sensitive systems to make it both caffeine and sugar free. Directions are below.

and to get rid of the sugar the only trick is brewing it long enough for all the sugar to be eaten up by the yeast and bacteria.

you must use green or black tea...it's a necessary ingredient...but for an entire gallon only 4 or 5 tea bags are necessary...so even if you use regular tea (which I do not as I'm uber sensitive) the caffeine content is pretty darn low. If you use decaf, which works just fine because it's not the caffeine the bacteria wants.....its something else in the tea, in any case with just 4 bags for a gallon whatever tiny bit of caffeine in decaf tea is there becomes totally insignificant...

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

oh...Alex...knowing how delicate your system is I'd be very careful.

even now I don't drink more than 4 oz at a time and not on a daily basis. For a long time I didn't have it at all...then I would have just one sip every few days. Now that I've been heavily pushing tons of ferments (only recently again, really) I can tolerate it and enjoy it again.

The ferments I make now are made in truly anaerobic conditions and seem to possibly have contributed to another sort of global improvement in me...(but I'm still really sick and it's unclear what is going on with me, so I say that tentatively)

in any case I completely changed the way I ferment my veggies and it does seem to have made a difference.

• 3 years later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Gia,

Now that you are some years down the track do you have any further thoughts on using kombucha or pro-biotics?  The latter give me instant w/d symptoms, but tiny amounts of the former seem fine for me.  I plan to experiment with some sauerkraut.  Just trying to find the best approach for myself in further gut healing.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you may have,

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

I don't do kombucha anymore, as much as I love it, but I do a wide variety of other homemade ferments and several different commercial sorts. 

Kombucha is a wild card for folks with yeast (candida) issues so best to avoid if that's a problem. I wasn't clear on what my needs were for a long time. 

Probiotics are critical to healing in a general sense, but I couldn't eat or take capsules for a few years when my sensitivities were the most extreme. Now I do a wide variety and generally cycle them ... my body actually lets me know what it wants and when. Sometimes I eat something for a while then need a break and I use other sources...that's pretty routine. 

• Moderator Emeritus

I have to say, I am generally in awe of how well tuned in to your body you are - so far beyond where I am that it almost looks like magic :).  I will keep going with listening in and paying attention to what my body is saying.  Thanks for the inspiration GiaK. 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

My cousin makes Kombucha and says you buy the kit from a distributor.

She also makes her own yogurt, and is about to stop drinking coffee for 2 months in order to get her candida under control.

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

• Moderator Emeritus

Often you can get your 'mother' or 'starter' for free from people who've been growing theirs for a while.  Look on community noticeboards and things like that as people often have some to give away. 

8 month hold.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy