SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Pharmaceutical liquids to make suspensions

Altostrata

• Administrator

ADMIN NOTE Also see How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

Haywood, 2013 Liquid dosage forms extemporaneously prepared from commercially available products - considering new evidence on stability.

Please note: The information about Ora-Plus below refers to "compounding losses." This means the amount of measured powdered drug that sticks to implements and doesn't make it into the final liquid or capsules.

Apparently pharmacists make this 10% adjustment, or some do, which may account for why people find their compounded liquids to be too strong.

In making a do-it-yourself suspension, we do not advise making this adjustment of a 10% increase in active ingredient. Since liquids are absorbed faster than tablets,  this may cause an adverse reaction to a too-strong mixture.

In terms of active ingredient content, a do-it-yourself liquid might be a little weaker than the tablet dosage. It's best to initiate your substitution of the liquid with a partial tablet dose, such as half liquid and half tablet, maintaining the same daily dosage, and let the change settle down before making a decrease.

If you use the same method every time you prepare a homemade liquid, the "compounding loss" is a constant -- don't worry about it.

This liquid (Ora-Plus Suspending Vehicle) that many compounding pharmacists use to make suspensions is available without prescription from online vendors http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GGHSQM/
Information and instructions from the manufacturer (PDF) http://www.perrigo.com/files/rx/pdfs/pds173-ORA-Plus.pdf

Ora-Plus is a unique suspending vehicle used to simplify the process involved in the
extemporaneous compounding of oral suspensions. Medicated powder can be incorpo-
rated into Ora-Plus to form elegant, uniform and physically stable suspensions.

Applications
Ora-Plus will retain its suspending properties when diluted up to
50% with water, flavoring agents, syrups or alcohol.
Ora-Plus is an aqueous-based vehicle consisting of a synergistic
blend of suspending agents that have a high degree of colloidal
activity. The suspending agents form a structured, gel-like matrix
which suspend particles and allow for little settling. Ora-Plus is
buffered to a slightly acidic pH to help reduce degradation of
medicinal agents through oxidation. An anti-foam agent is incor-
porated into Ora-Plus to allow for vigorous shaking with minimal foam.

Ingredients
Purified water, microcrystalline cellulose, carboxymethyl-
cellulose sodium, xanthan gum, carrageenan, calcium sul-
fate, trisodium phosphate, citric acid and sodium phosphate
as buffers, dimethicone antifoam emulsion. Preserved with
methylparaben and potassium sorbate.
Contraindications
Ora-Plus is contraindicated in persons who have shown hypersensitivity to any of the listed
ingredients.
General Directions For Compounding ORA-SWEET*/ORA-PLUS Suspensions
[Ora-Sweet is an optional flavoring]

• Calculate the total amount of active ingredient and volume of solution needed to
create a suspension of the proper concentration. (Calculations are provided in the
examples above.) It may be wise to add approximately 10% overage for compound-
ing losses.
• Crush tablets with a mortar and pestle to a fine powder. If the compound is
already in the powder form, use the mortar and pestle to smooth out the powder.
• Add a small amount of Ora-Plus and triturate to a thick, smooth paste. Add the
remainder of Ora-Plus by geometric dilution. The amount of Ora-Plus should be
50% of the total solution.
• Bring the suspension to a final volume using Ora-Sweet*. Mix briefly with a mor-
tar and pestle until a uniform suspension is formed. [Ora-Sweet is an optional flavoring]
• Dispense in a tight, light resistant amber bottle with appropriate labeling.
• Label with an expiration date. If the stability of the medication in an oral suspen-
sion or syrup is unknown, conservative dating is suggested.
•Depending on the medicinal agent used, label containers "Shake Well Before
Using," "Protect From Light," and "Keep Refrigerated."
For additional information please contact
Paddock Laboratories at 1-800-328-5113 or www.paddocklabs.com

Thanks to primrose for this pointer.

Without drug mixed in, Ora-Plus (and Ora-Sweet and Ora-Blend) are shelf-stable for 24 months (pdf).

Ora-Plus and Ora-Sweet are only 2 well-known brand names. Generics may be available to the public on the Web. There also are other types of liquid bases pharmacists use to make suspensions. An international selection of suspension vehicles is reviewed here (pdf) https://fisherpub.sjfc.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1189&context=pharmacy_facpub

Among them are;

• Ora-Blend
  • Ora-Blend SF
  • Simple Syrup
  • Suspendit
  • Syr-Spend SF PFI4

(Simple syrup usually used as a sweet flavoring and is not an optimum suspension vehicle.)

Edited by Altostrata
Updated

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

google ora blend paddock it will come up.

Can be bought on Amazon.

Link :)

I'm going to get a tad further down on Lyrica, then use this. I run into trouble fairly often because it's hard to keep the particles suspended long enough to consistantly draw up the same dose. By the time I'm down to the last two or three doses in the vial the tinnitus sometimes ramps up. I'm sure this is slowing the taper. I should be down to 100 mgs in the not too far distant future (am at 200 now), and I'll start to use this.. or maybe sooner, and use 1/2 the diluent. That would probably work just fine.

I've wondered that some people who think they are having waves and windows may instead be having issues with mixing the diluent and meds. Thanks much for this Promise. And you to areyouthere.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Moderator Emeritus

Check this out:

http://www.paddocklabs.com/html/products/pdf/Ora-Sweet%20SF%20Sell%20Sheet.pdf

It gives an example for how to make a xanax suspension!! WOOT!!!

Fall 1995 xanax, zoloft. switched to Serzone

1996- spring 2003serzone/ xanax/ lightbox.

b]Fall 2003- Fall 2004? Lexapro 10 mg. Light box /4 mg. xanax.[/b]

2004 - Fall of 2009 10 mg Lex, 150 mg Wellbutrin XL % 4 mg xanax

November 2009- Sept. 2011 10 mg lex., 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax [/b

Sept.2012- July 2012 20 mg Lex 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax

My mantra " go slow & with the flow "

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm going to get a tad furhttp://ther down on Lyrica, then use this.

Be sure to let us know how it all works and goes!!! I personally am trying not to dance on the tables.!!! :lol:

This might be helpful?

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

"I was on a powered capsule benzo and it tended to dump too quickly for me to get an adequate removal. I went to see a compounding pharmacist who made up a suspension agent to mix my capsule with. I shook the powder and agent together in a closed jar. The powder was distributed more equally and stayed suspended in the mixture. I got a much more accurate removal each time. I was able to keep the mixed portion in the refrigerator to reuse for 4-5 days. The suspension agent was about $ 10.00 (about one pint) which I was able to use in new mixtures over a few weeks. I measured the amount of suspension agent I needed for calculated titration into the calibrated tubes. It was like being a chemist but it worked for me".

(I wrote this for another post on how I used suspension fluid for my taper. The suspension agent didn't need a prescription for me to get it.)

Unable at this time to correspond by private message.

Link to my Introduction thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2477-aria-my-psych-journey/

Reading my psychiatric records: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5466-drugged-crazy-reading-my-psychiatric-records/

My Success Story is listed under "Aria's Recovery".

• Moderator Emeritus

The suspension agent was about $ 10.00 (about one pint) which I was able to use in new mixtures over a few weeks. I measured the amount of suspension agent I needed for calculated titration into the calibrated tubes. It was like being a chemist but it worked for me".

Where did you get it for just $10.. the type listed above is $26 for the same thing before shipping. (which makes it $34). I wonder if one can just pick this sort of thing up at a compounding pharmacy?

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Administrator

Fixed the link.

Check this out:

http://www.paddocklabs.com/html/products/pdf/Ora-Sweet%20SF%20Sell%20Sheet.pdf

It gives an example for how to make a xanax suspension!! WOOT!!!

Quite the find! (Note: You don't need the sweetener to make the suspension; use the Ora-Plus to fill out the 120mL.)

Here's the recipe:

ALPRAZOLAM 1 mg/mL, 120 mL

Alprazolam 2 mg/tablet 60 tablets

Ora-Plus 60mL

Ora-Sweet SF* q.s. 120 mL ("q.s." means "as much as you need")

• Expiration 60 days

• Protect from light

• Shake well before using

*Ora-Sweet SF may be substituted with Ora-Sweet.

"I was on a powered capsule benzo and it tended to dump too quickly for me to get an adequate removal. I went to see a compounding pharmacist who made up a suspension agent to mix my capsule with. I shook the powder and agent together in a closed jar. The powder was distributed more equally and stayed suspended in the mixture. I got a much more accurate removal each time. I was able to keep the mixed portion in the refrigerator to reuse for 4-5 days. The suspension agent was about $ 10.00 (about one pint) which I was able to use in new mixtures over a few weeks. I measured the amount of suspension agent I needed for calculated titration into the calibrated tubes. It was like being a chemist but it worked for me".

(I wrote this for another post on how I used suspension fluid for my taper. The suspension agent didn't need a prescription for me to get it.)

Aria, what suspension agent did you use?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I got the Methocel 0.5% solution from the local compounding pharmacy (locally owned). It was made up for me by the pharmacist and I got a pint for $ 10.00 in a brown glass bottle. Had to keep it refrigerated. The suspension agent "Methocel" did come in different thicknesses and 0.5% was the least thick. I recently asked another independently owned pharmacy if they made a suspension agent and they said yes. It varies on how long it keeps unmixed and mixed but I was able to reuse my mixture 4-5 days in a row and it sure saved me from wasting what I had usually thrown away. It has no taste and I never had any problems like an upset tummy from drinking it.

Using this mixture was invaluable to me because of the fine powered benzo I was trying to taper from using water and milk. I wasn't able to make decent cut because the benzo powder wouldn't float but for 1 second when mixed with water. The Methocel helped keep each reduction more measured as the benzo powder "was trapped" in the thick fluid. I needed to know I was getting like 33 ml mix instead of say 29 ml when the tiniest bit counted.

Link to my Introduction thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2477-aria-my-psych-journey/

Reading my psychiatric records: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5466-drugged-crazy-reading-my-psychiatric-records/

• Administrator

That is great information, Aria -- thank you.

• Moderator Emeritus

NICE.

I'm tempted to experiment with this just so I can learn about it. But I'm also tempted not to, because my water suspension plus pipette technique is working well for me and I'm hesitant to "fix it if it ain't broken," as they say. DEFINITELY would like to hear as much info and feedback as possible from people who have worked with this stuff for at-home suspensions and tapering. The more info we can accumulate--tips, perils, triumphs, what to look out for, etc.--the better.

Oh what the heck, I'm me, who am I kidding, I know I'm going to have to try this...maybe start using it with my Xanax since I'm not really actively tapering that right now, so I have more slack if there are wobbles in dosage, since I'm not already in Xanax withdrawal.

One thing, the Xanax recipe sounds pretty concentrated at 1 mg/mL. That might be too concentrated for a slow taper or microtaper, since even 0.1 mg Xanax is a lot to cut--microtaper cuts are a tenth or a twentieth of that amount. But I'm sure you can make a less concentrated suspension by, for example, using only 30 mg or 60 mg of Xanax to 120 mL of the Ora-Plus.

Would be nice if we had a pharmacist or two knocking around here to let us know if we're doing anything drastically stupid.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Moderator Emeritus

I got the Methocel 0.5% solution from the local compounding pharmacy (locally owned). It was made up for me by the pharmacist and I got a pint for $ 10.00 in a brown glass bottle. Had to keep it refrigerated. The suspension agent "Methocel" did come in different thicknesses and 0.5% was the least thick. I recently asked another independently owned pharmacy if they made a suspension agent and they said yes. It varies on how long it keeps unmixed and mixed but I was able to reuse my mixture 4-5 days in a row and it sure saved me from wasting what I had usually thrown away. It has no taste and I never had any problems like an upset tummy from drinking it.

Using this mixture was invaluable to me because of the fine powered benzo I was trying to taper from using water and milk. I wasn't able to make decent cut because the benzo powder wouldn't float but for 1 second when mixed with water. The Methocel helped keep each reduction more measured as the benzo powder "was trapped" in the thick fluid. I needed to know I was getting like 33 ml mix instead of say 29 ml when the tiniest bit counted.

GREAT INFO... I will be contacting my local compounding pharmacy to see if they offer same. I have trouble with Lyrica similar to what you report with the benzo powder. I need to make sure to get a good shake so the particles are moving fast enough to stay suspended. And this needs to be done twice as I use two syringes each dose, a 5 CC and a 1 CC.. Then repeat FOUR times a day. So you can see it's not always perfect. By the time I get to the bottom of the 90 CC solution, it's often the wrong concentration. I know because my ears start ringing (maybe some folks mistake this for windows and waves, I did for awhile). An affordable solution. YES!!! :D

I had w/d but I like to think it was less because the mix was more accurate for cuts. The benzo powder was so different from chipping pills so using a suspension agent worked well for me. There are some spread sheets and formulas out there that would give you detailed numbers for all your cuts using a fluid as your base (benzo amount X liquid X reductions).

I love the small family type pharmacies because the same people frequent it and the pharmacists get to know their clients on a much more personal basis. I remember the compounding pharmacist said how in the world did you ever get on this crap and he was so right.

Schuyler: using this may be an better way since you have multiple cuts daily. You'd pull it out of the refrigerator and take your cut from the mixture.

• Moderator Emeritus

Schuyler: using this may be an better way since you have multiple cuts daily. You'd pull it out of the refrigerator and take your cut from the mixture.

I just pull the suspension out of the fridge now as the solution lasts for 6 days, the problem is it's hard to get a mix that is uniform enough. The particles start to settle faster than I can draw them up. :( I may try to use the one syringe.. I had been tapering with a 10CC syringe because of the dose, but now it's lower.. dunno. I like the security of knowing the cuts are very uniform....

I just pull the suspension out of the fridge now as the solution lasts for 6 days, the problem is it's hard to get a mix that is uniform enough. The particles start to settle faster than I can draw them up. :( I may try to use the one syringe.. I had been tapering with a 10CC syringe because of the dose, but now it's lower.. dunno. I like the security of knowing the cuts are very uniform....

What kind of suspension agent are you using?? It should be thick enough to keep the benzo/med suspended for cuts?? My compounding pharmacist was good enough to show me what to use and how. He even ordered me a mortar and piston set for mixing. Could you go talk to one and ask him to show you what to do??

• Moderator Emeritus

I need to taper Zoloft very slowly and accurately. Any suggestions? I can't afford the liquid at the moment. Does the method of dissolving the pill in water work? Does the pill dissolve completely and have a total uniform suspension? I am very frightened to have unexpected dose reduction and unmanageable symptoms. I went down from 100mg to 50 and it was hell. I need to go very slowly. Any other suggestions for accurate measure of dose reduction of a pill? I see there is info here -- I will read.

Hopefully you are finding good information.

I taper Celexa using water only, and it works fine for me. I do taper very, very slowly, though, so probably even if I do get small variations in dosage I wouldn't really notice them.

I taper using a relatively small amount of water, and I stir as I pull out my dose in order to keep it evenly suspended.

I have had success tapering all my meds in this way. I use pipettes instead of syringes though, which might make it easier, I don't know.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Moderator Emeritus

I use pipettes instead of syringes though, which might make it easier, I don't know.

Do you use glass pipettes or the disposable ones and if you use glass...what size ie by what increments?

Are there any advantages/disadvantages to making the suspension myself with ora-plus vs. getting the liquid Zoloft? Can I make a more gradual taper if I make my own suspension? I thought it would be easier to have a compounding pharmacy make the suspension and they told me that when they make a Zoloft suspension, they make it from pure powder (without the fillers or binding agents that are in the pills); they were skeptical that I could make a good suspension from the pill. I thought they could have a bias toward wanting to get my business--having the pharmacy make the suspension is probably pretty expensive.

• Administrator

Zoloft comes in a liquid form in the US, you don't have to have a pharmacy compound it. You do need a prescription for it. Your health insurance may or may not cover it.

The pharmacy-compounded and manufacturer-compounded liquids have these advantages:

- More reliable measurements

- Compounder is more knowledgeable than you are

- There's a database for information about the compounded liquids that you don't have access to

- Stability and expiration of compounded liquid is known

Advantages of making your own liquid:

- Costs less

- You can figure out your own dilution

- You can make it up when you need it

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

One thing, the Xanax recipe sounds pretty concentrated at 1 mg/mL. That might be too concentrated for a slow taper or microtaper, since even 0.1 mg Xanax is a lot to cut--microtaper cuts are a tenth or a twentieth of that amount. But I'm sure you can make a less concentrated suspension by, for example, using only 30 mg or 60 mg of Xanax to 120 mL of the Ora-Plus.

Would be nice if we had a pharmacist or two knocking around here to let us know if we're doing anything drastically stupid.

I've been "compounding" as follows: 20 , 1 mg tablets ground up mixed with 30 ml ora plus which is .66mg/ 1 ml of the liquid.

If you make it in small batches you don't have to worry about using all of your tablets and you can adjust as needed with successive ( I think I just usd that word wrong :o ) doses by manipulating the ratio of liquid to tablets.

To make a full batch for the week I use a very small Kerr jelly jar to mix the powder , & my pre measured ora plus/ water mixture. Put the powder in the jar, add some of the ora plus/water mixture and mix thoroughly. I use a very small spatula so I can squeegee the extra off into the jar. I add some more of the ora plus/ water mixture, stirring to get the powder TOTALLY evenly suspended ( no lumps... this solution it will be thick,,, like mucous) , then you can pour in the rest of the liquid , stir , put the lid on tightly and you can then shake it to get it completely suspended.

I shake it every time I have to open it and take my 1 ml syringes to get my doses.

BTW.... the Ora plus is expensive but you can dilute it by 50% water and still have it retain it's suspension quality.... as the label says and as I can attest to.

Easy peasy.... and you can make as small a cuts as you want...... I like that....

RU

hope this helps someone out there..

• Moderator Emeritus

Great info AR, thanks. I'm glad the suspension is working so well for you.

Just a reminder, the suspension can be purchased for $10 a pint at a compounding pharmacy.

Yeah. I didn't catch that. I'll check into it next time. Thanks.

BTW

I use pipettes instead of syringes though, which might make it easier, I don't know.

A couple of other suggestions:

I have been using 1 ml syringes i asked for for free from my pharmacist. They do the trick for now. As someone else mentioned the 1 ml mark at the top of the syringes from there tend to rub off but I use a slim sharpie and remark it every once in a while.

Another thing,at least with my suspension, I have to rinse ( draw water up and squirt it out a few times) the syringes as soon as I' ve taken my dose otherwise that little bit that is left at the bottom can dry out and plug it up. I've thrown out a few syringes because of that.

If you are wondering if I bring full syringes of my doses to take every 4 hours to work... the answer is NO. Here's what I do: for each dose I put 1 ml of my .66 mg / ml solution in a small glass jar, add a little water , put the lids on tightly and put them in my lunch bag. When I get to work, I dump a dose into an empty caribou coffee cup, add a little orange pop and swirl it around. I do the same with the other dose and another empty coffee cup but I don't add the pop until a little later with this dose... not sure what that the pop won't interfere with the xanax potency) When it is time to dose, I non chalauntly ( sp) swirl that last bit of "coffee" and pour it down the hatch....tada!!!!!!!!!

• 2 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Did you know that Citracel, an over the counter laxative is mostly methyl cellulose, the same suspending agent in ora plus? Citrucel has been used successfully in the medical community as a suspending agent. To make a 1% suspension mix 25.5 g of citrucel with 500 ml water. I'm running out of the expensive ora plus, and will use a Citrucel as a the suspending agent for my next batch of xanax and report back. If you are wondering about PH, both citrucel suspended and ora plus have a ph of 4. RU

See:  Post for result

Edited by ChessieCat
Included link to result outcome

• Administrator

Wow! Great tip, RU. How did you find this out?

• Moderator Emeritus

Did you know that Citracel, an over the counter laxative is mostly methyl cellulose, the same suspending agent in ora plus? Citrucel has been used successfully in the medical community as a suspending agent. To make a 1% suspension mix 25.5 g of citrucel with 500 ml water.

I'm running out of the expensive ora plus, and will use a Citrucel as a the suspending agent for my next batch of xanax and report back.

If you are wondering about PH, both citrucel suspended and ora plus have a ph of 4.

WOW... wayy too cool. I need to use a suspension to make Lyrica solution because the particles settle faster than I can reliably draw up the correct concentration.. and the last two doses of the mix make my tinnitus go nuts, so something has been amiss. Now, an affordable solution (pun intended.) Yes, way to gooo.

Thanks RU

• Moderator Emeritus

Wow! Great tip, RU. How did you find this out?

Yes, way to gooo.

Speaking of gooooo funny story.... I used to run an after school science club for middle schoolers. During one session maybe 2-3 years ago we made this glo- in- the -dark ghost buster "goo" and one of the ingredients I had to have ready was a powdered laxative but

IT HAVE TO HAVE methyl cellulose ( not "phil...something) in it. I didn't know why at the time. I spent quite a little while at the pharmacy carefully reading the ingredients on those various laxatives....that's why I remembered it (methyl cellulose) .

So as I contemplated calling a compound pharmacy for the 1% "methyl" solution Aria talked about I had a thought or a hunch that this thick goo requiring "methyl cellulose" and a methyl suspension might be related so I started surfing the net.

I ran across it that way..... who knew? :lol: I'll experiment with it and get back to you. I won't need a new batch for a week or so...

• Moderator Emeritus

Speaking of gooooo funny story.... I used to run an after school science club for middle schoolers. During one session maybe 2-3 years ago we made this glo- in- the -dark ghost buster "goo" and one of the ingredients I had to have ready was a powdered laxative but IT HAVE TO HAVE methyl cellulose ( not "phil...something) in it. I didn't know why at the time. I spent quite a little while at the pharmacy carefully reading the ingredients on those various laxatives....that's why I remembered it (methyl cellulose) .

I ran across it that way..... who knew? :lol: I'll experiment with it and get back to you. I won't need a new batch for a week or so...

RU.. one of the best memories I have from middle school years is of a 9th grade (this was still in junior high at the time) Earth Sciences club. It was great, and pulled on my curiosity, there to fore hidden under a mantle of mediocrity. :) I've forgotten the teacher's name, but not what we learned.

I just had an idea!! As of now, I mix 900 mgs of Lyrica in 900 mls at a time, which lasts for 4.8 days. I'm going to start mixing 600 mgs in two different vials (two batches), using the two in tandem, so the one would draw down from 600 mls, while the second would be 300 mls. and below . Doing this should offset the suspension's settling effects, (Alto.. I know you recommend no more than 4 days in the fridge, and this will be 7, but it's been okay on a couple of times in the past, and I would NOT keep it longer). What a relief.

Hehehe, the tinnitus bump solved, a 'solution' is at hand... every time I've reached the last 1/4 of the Lyrica suspension, (which is probably because it gets somewhat weaker as I draw down), there has been a tinnitus bump. Nothing beats pure genius! (Okay okay.. it took me how long to realize this??)

• Administrator

It might get weaker as you draw down due to aging and exposure to light, air, etc.

• Moderator Emeritus

It might get weaker as you draw down due to aging and exposure to light, air, etc.

I should be able to tell when and if my ears worsen, or get no better. If that seems to be the case, I'll mix 300 mgs to 30 mls batches. (The previous mention of 900 mls was in error, I don't use THAT much diluent!) as opposed to 600 mgs to 60 mls.

I was on the alert for issues when I accidentally ended up with too much solution in the past but did not notice any. Will keep you posted!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hokay Alto, I'll try mixing 600 mgs. per 60 mls for awhile and see if there still seems to be a tinnitus uptick. That's 3.25 days worth and should restrict the amount of particle settling as well. With a smaller mixture, the ratio might be more in line. I just need to take care not to run out when I'm tired because it's much harder to mix. If that woks okay, and I decide to stagger, then I have a bottom line and know when to back up if it's needed.

Thanks for responding.

• Moderator Emeritus

Did you know that Citracel, an over the counter laxative is mostly methyl cellulose, the same suspending agent in ora plus? Citrucel has been used successfully in the medical community as a suspending agent. To make a 1% suspension mix 25.5 g of citrucel with 500 ml water.

I'm running out of the expensive ora plus, and will use a Citrucel as a the suspending agent for my next batch of xanax and report back.

If you are wondering about PH, both citrucel suspended and ora plus have a ph of 4.

RU

Hold off on this for awhile.... I've been having digestive problems with the above ratio (don't ask how I know... I just KNOW!! EEK) . I'm trying .5 g/ 50 ml for the next batch... a recommended ratio from a different source. :blink: will keep you updated.

RU

• Moderator Emeritus

Bad news for the citrucel as a suspending agent at least for me. I made up a "batch" that requires a specific amount of liquid, (15.95 ml) and measured it precisely using a 10 ml graduated cylinder put it in a container with the powdered tablets, put the lid on and shook it. The technique I just described above is identical to the way I mixed/ used ora plus. BUT when I went to draw up 1 ml of suspension to put in the bottles I use for each dose..... I somehow wound up with fewer than 15 ml of liquid???? Huh???

So then obviously the resulting solution is more concentrated. I personally wouldn't trust using citrucel to make an oral suspension.

It's back to ora plus for me for now.... I'll try an apothecary 's solution another time.

Anyone need some citrucel??? :lol:

RU

• 1 year later...
  • Administrator

Hi I am just wondering and thinking outloud but is it possible to dissolve a 15mg remeron pill in water, draw out 1ml or 1.5ml and then drink the rest? Just trying to simplify..What do you think of this method? Pros? Cons? Not sure...Is this plausible? In getting your 10% cut....Just wondering? Why would this NOT work? And is there an advantage of using oraplus over water? Why? Why is this better? Or does it matter? Is it better dissolving in Oraplus?

Sorry this was missed, ANH. Please see Tips for tapering off Remeron (mirtazapine)

Yes, if you wanted to reduce by a small amount, you could dissolve a tablet in water, draw out a calculated amount, and drink the rest.

In most cases, using Oraplus rather than water is a matter of choice or convenience. Some people don't trust their drinking water. In a few situations, the drug dissolves better in Oraplus.

We have many people who have used water to make a liquid from Remeron tablets.

• 1 year later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I ordered the Ora-Plus liquid just now to use with my mirtazapine, because I'm sick of fiddling with crumbs on my scale!  I have a question for those using this product, and for those making liquids in general.

How do you powder your tablets? Do you then weigh the powder to add to the known volume of liquid?   I have an actual laboratory mortar and pestle but haven't used it with the mirt tablets.  Mine have a pinkish colored coating and when I used to use a pill crusher on them, the coating was not so easily broken down and would remain in chunks.  That got me wondering how that might affect things if I put more coating fragments in one dose vs another.  I'm hoping the mortar and pestle will pulverize that coating so it will be equally distributed, and I'd grind up several tablets together before weighing.

So, I'm just wondering how others deal with getting powder to liquid :-)

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

• Administrator

You don't have to weigh the powder, you know how many milligrams of active ingredient are in it, you use that in your calculations.

Make sure you leave as little powder as possible in the mortar and on the pestle.

It sounds like you would want to pulverize coated tablets well before adding to the liquid. You won't be able to separate the coating out.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, Alto. So are you saying pulverize the tablet in the mortar and add the liquid directly and mix?  Sorry to be a dunce about this!  I have a brown dropper bottle I could put the mixture into.  It sounds as though the liquid has a preservative action to it so maybe I could get away with a few days' worth at a time?

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

• Moderator Emeritus

See the thread on How to Make Liquids from Tablets or Capsules here  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2693-how-to-make-a-liquid-from-tablets-or-capsules/

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Try just dropping the tablet in some water and give it a bit of time, lots of them will dissolve, at least enough to make a good suspension. Amitryptiline dissolves very well. I've ordered the Ora-plus, but it is taking about a month to get here!

Here's more than you wanted to know about suspensions:

Sounds like Ora-plus needs to be refrigerated.

1975--first signs of depression

1981--started on imipramine (Tofranil) for IBS and depression

1983-1986--severe depression, rotated through several drugs, on MAOI for one year, eventually back to tricyclics

1986-1994--chronic low grade depression, on tricyclics

1994-96--severe depression, rotated through several drugs inc. Prozax, Effexor, etc..

1996-2013--chronic low grade depression, SAD, on amitryptiline usual dose 12.5-25mg

flurazepam (Dalmane) as needed for insomnia

2013--developed temazepam (Restoril) dependance for 2 months, tapered off over 1 month

started bio-identical progesterone 5 mg., depression has lifted completely to this day

March 2016--forced to c/t both amitryptiline and flurazepam, zolpidem not helpful

reinstated small dose (.5 mg) amitryptiline due to stomach issues and tapering w/titration

June 19th--jumped from amitryptiline--drug free!

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy